Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... What grade would you give Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk's customer service?
A
B
C
D
F
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 840g Phone Topic
Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:41 am (160,449 Views)
Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

* A new GSM phone looks to be coming out down the road for Tracfone and/or Net10 called the LG 840g.
* It's a touchscreen phone similar to the LG 800g - seems to have a 2.0mp camera+recorder, MP3 player, WiFi and 3G.
* If it comes out for Tracfone, hopefully it will include TMFL ... and I am guessing the price will be around $50-$60.
* Ps: thanks to The Sweeper for finding out this information first for us on Tracfone.com and Net10.com.

* Tracfone Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 Tutorial Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?

Posted Image

Turk B-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Here is what a Google search turned up...

LG 840G image

Posted Image
LG 840G User Guide (English & Spanish) (about 90 pages each language)
http://img.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/pub/7302/docs/LG_840G_User_Guide_EN_ES.pdf

LG 840G Tutorial
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam;jsessionid=37B37A2F4377AB308EA7832CC244563E?

Some LG 840G Specs
Included BatteryLithium-ion
Size4.0 x 2.4 x 0.5
Standby timeUp to 13 days
Talk timeUp to 3 hours
Weight3.8 (ounces)
Included Accessories: AC Adapter, Battery,
Features:
2 Megapixel Camera
Alarm Clock
Bluetooth Capable
Call Waiting
Caller ID
Color Screen
Graphics Download
HAC Compatible
Handsfree Speaker
Mobile Web
MP3 Player
Phone Book with up to 1,000 Entries
Ringtones Download
Text/Picture Messaging
Vibration Alert
Video Recorder
Voicemail
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another SOURCE: http://lg840g.com/
LG 840G TracFone | Straight Talk Review
QUOTE:
Posted on September 21, 2012
The LG 840G is a new full touch NON ANDROID phone for TracFone and Straight Talk. This phone is very similar
to the popular LG 800G and at only 4 inches in height, the LG 840G is a very attractive option from TracFone.

The LG 840G is all black with a sleek silver line around its border. It has three soft buttons on the bottom for home,
back, and additional menus and of course it is very compact and easy to handle and work with. Features include :
WiFi, Bluetooth, a 2MP camera, and a voice recorder that comes in handy for meetings, lectures, or conversations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another SOURCE: http://prepaidrevs.com/tracfone-lg-840g-full-review
QUOTE:
Tracfone LG 840g full Review

The LG 840g is a compact square design feature phone for both Straight Talk and Tracfone prepaid plans.
Simple and compact 3 button Android like design are the highlights of the LG 840g. This is a GSM device
that will use either TMobile or AT&T coverage areas. I guess you could say that this is a new an improved
version of the popular LG 800g
and comes with the Triple Minutes for Life of the phone plan.

Carrier Tracfone Straight Talk
Release Date November 2012
Tracfone LG 840g Availability

LG 840g Specifications
Manufacturer: LG
OS non-Android
Processor n/a
Dimensions 3.55" x 2.12" x 0.60"
Weight 4.1 (Ounces)
Form Factor Candybar touchscreen
Screen Size and Resolution: large 3.0" Diagonal
Technology: GSM
Battery Life: Up to 4hrs talk time, Up to 15 days stand by
Signal: Great
Camera resolution: 3.0 Megapixels
Bluetooth v 2.0
Charge/data cable Micro USB
Headphone Jack 3.5mm
Micro SD card Up to 32Gb support
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a screen shot of an apparently unpublished image on TracFone website *(from Google Images)
Link: http://www.tracfone.com/models/phoneModels.jsp?brandName=TRACFONE

Posted Image

Tarkio101

Thanks for that info doc. I saw some of it online myself, but most was new information for me... If anyone happens
to see the "real" LG name for this phone, please share. Sometimes there is a lot more information out there under
another name\model number than trac uses.

I am so all over this phone. I think its exactly what I've been looking for for so long. I see a November release date,
which is believable. I'm going to hold out until then. Very excited about where Tracfone is headed these days.

Tech
Member Avatar

Wow. This is what I should have waited on before getting the lg 800g. If it comes with wifi, I'll jump on it, but don't
know about the size. It's smaller than the lg 800g but with wifi it may just be bearable. The phone itself is smaller
which probably means a smaller screen too.

If it does come out, I hope someone does a good review and a side by side view of the 800g.

Thanks for the info, btw.

It's like carrot and stick with these phones. Cripes.

ciliegia

Tech
September 24, 2012, 4:23 pm
Wow. This is what I should have waited on before getting the lg 800g. If it comes with wifi, I'll jump on it, but don't
know about the size. It's smaller than the lg 800g but with wifi it may just be bearable. The phone itself is smaller
which probably means a smaller screen too.

If it does come out, I hope someone does a good review and a side by side view of the 800g.

Thanks for the info, btw. ..... It's like carrot and stick with these phones. Cripes.
Are you sure it's smaller than the lg800g? I've seen two different measurements for the phone: one, as listed,
at about 3.5" and another that shows it as exactly the same size as the lg800...4".

Frankly, although I really like my lg 800, the one thing that I do not like is that it is small. I'd like it a bit larger.
One of the things that attracted me to the new Samsung 390g was its size. As I need to renew my minutes in
December, I contemplated getting that (how could anyone pass up the wi-fi?). However, now that I know the
LG is coming out, I'd prefer to have that size w/it... To be honest, I can't see the phone coming in any smaller
than it is now.

Tech
Member Avatar

ciliegia
September 24, 2012, 7:45 pm
Tech
Wow. This is what I should have waited on before getting the lg 800g. If it comes with wifi, I'll jump on it, but
don't know about the size. It's smaller than the lg 800g but with wifi it may just be bearable. The phone itself
is smaller which probably means a smaller screen too.

Thanks for the info, btw. ..... It's like carrot and stick with these phones. Cripes.
Are you sure it's smaller than the lg800g? I've seen two different measurements for the phone: one, as listed,
at about 3.5" and another that shows it as exactly the same size as the lg800...4".

Frankly, although I really like my lg 800, the one thing that I do not like is that it is small. I'd like it a bit larger.
One of the things that attracted me to the new Samsung 390g was its size. As I need to renew my minutes in
December, I contemplated getting that (how could anyone pass up the wi-fi?). However, now that I know the
LG is coming out, I'd prefer to have that size w/it... To be honest, I can't see the phone coming in any smaller
than it is now.
Nope.. I'm not sure about anything until I actually see it. Just going by the specs I've read out and about.
Agreed on the wifi though. And with a touch screen and larger amount of storage (32GB?) it will do until
something better comes along. Heck I kept the w376G up until a week or so ago when I upgraded to the
lg 800g, which I like, now that I've broken it in.

tfuser19

Here's the Net10 phones link similar to what DoctorM found for Tracfone.

If this is not old news, Turk, I'm sure you have a better, more visible place for this link and DoctorM's Tracfone link.

ciliegia

Tech
September 24, 2012, 10:31 pm
ciliegia
September 24, 2012, 7:45 pm
Tech
Wow. This is what I should have waited on before getting the lg 800g. If it comes with wifi, I'll jump on it, but
don't know about the size. It's smaller than the lg 800g but with wifi it may just be bearable. The phone itself
is smaller which probably means a smaller screen too.

than it is now.
Nope.. I'm not sure about anything until I actually see it. Just going by the specs I've read out and about.
Agreed on the wifi though. And with a touch screen and larger amount of storage (32GB?) it will do until
something better comes along. Heck I kept the w376G up until a week or so ago when I upgraded to the
lg 800g, which I like, now that I've broken it in.
I, too, had the Motorola 376 until I upgraded to the lg 800. But I have to say, for sound quality, the one I liked best
was the Motorola 370... on that phone I heard everything, clear and crisp.

millept

I predict we'll see a great deal on it from Home Shopping Network around Thanksgiving (and eBay
seller shopcelldeals at the same time).

muddy211

I cant wait to get my hands on one!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!

ciliegia

millept
September 26, 2012, 12:12 am
I predict we'll see a great deal on it from Home Shopping Network around Thanksgiving (and eBay
seller shopcelldeals at the same time).
And for those who want shopcelldeals w/o Ebay, they also sell on Amazon.

ciliegia

If you go to the TF web site, the Lg 840g, although not for sale yet, has the tutorial now on line (it wasn't there
on Monday)... Just go to support, click on learn about your phone, then click on Lg 840g...and voilà!

annepani

The Net10 tutorial is also available now on the Net10 site. Isn't it exciting?

Maybe both phones will be available for sale real soon... Fingers crossed.

Tarkio101

I believe I have solved a bit of mystery. I always like to know the "real" name and model number of phones since
Trac uses their own model numbers, not the manufacturers. Here's a link to what I found. Appearance, stats, etc,
all seem to match. This is called the LG Cookie and so was the 800g, so I am pretty sure it's a match.

Now, this doesn't mean that every single thing is exactly the same, since Tracfone sometimes wants things left out.
The only thing I see on this phone that Trac will not offer is dual SIMS. It can be very useful to know the real model
number for accessories, as well as reviews.

Phones are often released onto other carriers before they are on Tracfone and have hands on reviews online that
can be useful... Enjoy.

http://www.cellhut.com/LG-T375-Cookie-Smart-Unlocked-Quadband-Dual-Sim-GSM-Cell-Phone-Specifications-32876.html

Tarkio101

Other info... http://www.mobileheart.com/cell-phone-reviews/lg-14/lg-T375-Cookie-Smart-3121.aspx

From what I can tell this does appear to be a 2g phone, at least the version being sold elsewhere is.
Says it can handle a 16 GB sd card.
Lists an FM Radio as a feature, with RDS no less!
One source specifies that the screen is multi touch.

This info is gathered from various sources, so take it for what its worth.
But I didn't see anything listed that would seem improbable. Exciting times ahead folks!

And this site shows some side and back photos which I hadn't seen before. Has a nice look to it.

http://www.myworldphone.com/cell-phone-accessories/dual-sim-mobile/lg-t375-cookie

annepani

Tarkio101
October 4, 2012, 12:19 am
Lists an FM Radio as a feature, with RDS no less!
Looking at the tutorial, the LG 840g does not appear to have an FM radio.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 4, 2012, 12:19 am
Other info...

clipped

And this site shows some side and back photos which I hadn't seen before. Has a nice look to it.

http://www.myworldphone.com/cell-phone-accessories/dual-sim-mobile/lg-t375-cookie
That last link with MyWorldPhone shows compatibility with Net10.

Which triggers a thought I had in the back of my mind -- because this phone has 3G (or 2G or Edge) which
means it transmits data, we probably will see it only on Net10 or StraightTalk, and likely not on TracFone.

But here is hoping I'm wrong on that.

annepani

DoctorM
October 4, 2012, 6:59 am
Which triggers a thought I had in the back of my mind -- because this phone has 3G (or 2G or Edge) which
means it transmits data, we probably will see it only on Net10 or StraightTalk, and likely not on TracFone.
DoctorM,

I am certain you are wrong about the LG 840G never coming to Tracfone.

For one, the Samsung S390G and S425G both have 3G and they both came out for Tracfone ahead of Net10.
So 3G is not a factor.

Second, the LG 840G has been posted on the Tracfone 'Activate Phones' page for some time now, and the
tutorial for the Tracfone version of the phone has been posted since Monday.

So I'm sure it is coming to Tracfone... Same thing for the S380C.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

annepani
October 4, 2012, 8:40 am
DoctorM
October 4, 2012, 6:59 am
DoctorM,

I am certain you are wrong about the LG 840G never coming to Tracfone.

For one, the Samsung S390G and S425G both have 3G and they both came out for Tracfone ahead of Net10.
So 3G is not a factor.

Second, the LG 840G has been posted on the Tracfone 'Activate Phones' page for some time now, and the
tutorial for the Tracfone version of the phone has been posted since Monday.

So I'm sure it is coming to Tracfone... Same thing for the S380C.
Years of experience have taught me to be more cautious with pronouncements on the future. But I do hope you
are right about the LG 840G coming to TracFone (as opposed to Net10 and Staright Talk.), It would be a major
breakthrough.

I don't have either the Samsung 390G or the 425G, so I went through the Samsung website and the user manuals
for the 390G and the 425G and did a search on key terms.

In the search, I did not find the terms "3G" or "WiFi" or "Java" for the 390G, so I would have to assume that it did
not have them. If true, it isn't going to be much of a data user at all.

I found the terms "Java," and "WAP" for the 425G -- but no "3G" or "WiFi"... So, again, I would have to assume it did
not have them. If true, then it isn't going to be much of a data user either. WAP, by the way, is a protocol, and not the
same as WiFi.

If you have differing information, please let me know, but based on the searches above, I don't think either the 490G
nor the 425G would be a good example for deducing whether the LG 840G, which has both 3G and WiFi, is coming
to TracFone (as opposed to Net10, or StraightTalk.)

Again, I hope that it does.

tfuser19

DoctorM
October 4, 2012, 1:23 pm
I don't have either the Samsung 390G or the 425G, so I went through the Samsung website and the user
manuals for the 390G and the 425G and did a search on key terms.

In the search, I did not find the terms "3G" or "WiFi" or "Java" for the 390G, so I would have to assume that
it did not have them. If true, it isn't going to be much of a data user at all...
The S390G most definitely has 3G - Icon even says 3G. I have one and web browsing is much better vs next
to no-existent on the LG 800G.

I might add that currently there's major resentment against Tracfone because these two phone are charging
per amount of data downloaded vs based on the length of time the browser application was opened.

These phones are charging 1.5 units / 100 kB for browsing or MMS, so don't rush out and buy one until you
understand that difference.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

tfuser19
October 4, 2012, 2:05 pm
DoctorM
October 4, 2012, 1:23 pm
I don't have either the Samsung 390G or the 425G, so I went through the Samsung website and the user
manuals for the 390G and the 425G and did a search on key terms.

In the search, I did not find the terms "3G" or "WiFi" or "Java" for the 390G, so I would have to assume that
it did not have them. If true, it isn't going to be much of a data user at all...
The S390G most definitely has 3G - Icon even says 3G. I have one and web browsing is much better vs next
to no-existent on the LG 800G.

I might add that currently there's major resentment against Tracfone because these two phone are charging
per amount of data downloaded vs based on the length of time the browser application was opened.

These phones are charging 1.5 units / 100 kB for browsing or MMS, so don't rush out and buy one until you
understand that difference.
Thanks for the info on 3G on the 390G. Strange that Samsung wouldn't include that on their website ad.

Well it makes sense that TracFone (as opposed to Net10 or StraightTalk) would charge a high per minute premium
on data. Most of us that use TracFone (as opposed to Net10 or StraightTalk) do so because we are minimum users.
Those who are going to be moderate to heavy data users will probably do much better cost-wise on Net10 or Straight
Talk.

I don't browse on the LG 800G because doing so by the minute is not cost effective. And I wouldn't browse on the
LG 840G on 3G for the same reason -- WiFi is not only free, but it is much faster than 3G. I have several times got
a "suggestion" on my LG Optimus Net to switch from 3G to WiFi for faster data transmission.

It is nice to have 3G as a backup for those very rare occasions where WiFi isn't available, but that's all I would want it for.

tfuser19

DoctorM,

I agree, it is odd that neither the Samsung site nor the Tracfone site mentions the 3G capability of this phone.

I'm not a heavy browser user, but it comes in really handy when I'm out shopping and I want to compare prices
quickly... Amazon.com's mobile site is not too bad on data usage with the S390G phone, because their mobile
web site is not too graphic intensive.

Another thing I've started doing to limit data download is to set the browser to not download any graphics as I'm
usually only interested in text. I've started using the Chinese UC browser, which works better than Opera Mini IMHO.

Tarkio101

I suspect that don't really advertise the 3g aspect since Tracfone itself isn't too hot for data usage due to their rates.
However, 2g networks are going by the wayside eventually, so they have to sell at least some 3g phones so it won't
hit them all at once. ATT is refarming some of its 2g spectrum to be used for 4g, so some places are losing nearly all
but a minimum of 2g data capacity.

I am actually surprised to see Tracfone continuing to release phones that are 2g at all. As long as this phone has
the processing capacity to handle data well while using wifi, there will be lots of happy tracfone customers.

Speaking of data, I must try this UC browser. I've always been pretty happy with Opera Mini, so I'm anxious to try
something even better. Might even use the minutes on my 800g to download it just to see.

TF Noob

I expected the 840g to just be the 800g with 3G and WiFi, but what I'm seeing in this video of the T375 is a huge
leap forward... If the Tracfone version doesn't cut any corners then the LG 840g is going to be a fast, responsive
phone with a capacitive multi-touch screen.

Tarkio101

The tricky thing is knowing exactly which phone Trac will be getting. Here is a pretty good video showing
the responsiveness of the phone. I would say it appears to be a little more crisp than the 800g. This video
is for the 385g, but it's the same phone. Sometimes I'm not sure if the numbers mean slightly different models
or if they numbers mean the same phone but made for different countries/carriers.

Since the basics of this phone have been established--the main thing for me being WiFi, most videos at least
give us an idea of how the phone handles. Specific features may vary lol. I'm still holding my breath for an FM
radio like some versions have, but the deviceanywhere site doesn't list it. But Tracfone is so unorganized with
their information sometimes, that I'm still optimistic.

Enjoy a good upclose video in good lighting. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmGniOCNUQ&feature=related

Tarkio101

From what I understand, the 375 and 385 are the same phone. One can accept dual sims (which is common in
some countries--voice minutes may be cheaper with one company, while text or data might cheaper on another
carrier, so you can have both SIMs installed at once without swapping all the time).

In this ad for LG I found, it even shows one model number in the video, while it is listed as the other in the tag for
the video. Either way, this ad makes the phone look VERY sharp and with nice detailing.. I hope this is the case.

It seems that LG does not consider this just a cheap dumpy phone. While it seems that smart phones are sweeping
the world (and cheaper androids are the most affordable), it still seems that souped up feature phones are still
evolving, improving, and probably much much cheaper to produce. Hence, much easier to sell in most parts of
the world.

In addition, Lg is pretty good about taking a phone idea and to keep coming out with new variations, tweaks,
improvements. They have done this with the Optimus line with great success. Take the same basic guts and
just come out with a version for every conceivable need... Seems like they are doing the same thing with the
Cookie (the generic name for this phone, the 800g, and countless other variations).

With that, here's the LG ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnDOkWQjJ3g&feature=related

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Just wanted to say thanks to everyone so far that has contributed to this phone topic ... it is appreciated by many.

* And thanks you guys for the youtube videos ... they were interesting to watch.

* If this is pretty much the same phone as in the videos, then it seems like a really cool phone, and looks nice!

* In all the videos, it shows the phone as having a 3.2 inch screen, if this phones has a 3.2 inch screen, that'd be great!

* I don't think the 840g will have an FM radio - I wish it did, for I like FM radios on phones, I prefer it over a MP3 player.

* Who knows, maybe after it comes out, and we learn more about it, I may just give it a try, and call it my iFone 2. ;)

TurkTube B-)

annepani

The LG 840G does not have an FM radio. I like them too. The LG 900G and the LG 505C have them, and the new Alcatel.
Pretty much all of the Motos have them, but Trac hasn't issued good Motos in a long time.

zombie

Tarkio101
October 7, 2012, 2:34 pm
I'm still holding my breath for an FM radio like some versions have, but the deviceanywhere site doesn't list it.

Enjoy a good upclose video in good lighting. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmGniOCNUQ&feature=related
Look at 1:08 or 1:33 on the video... FM Radio is shown in the phone menus, but it wouldn't surprise me if the
Tracfone version omits the radio.

Tarkio101

I hadn't noticed that.. One problem is that slighly different variations of the phone come out for different markets.
My main purpose for looking into the original model number is to read early reviews from elsewhere and to see
all the accessories available... I guess we will know soon.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I stopped by one of my many Walmart stores today - and guess what I saw out for the first time ever in stores!?
* The new Tracfone LG 840g -- prices was $60 -- comes with TMFL, 2GB card, 3G, and WiFi -- No FM radio.
* I had my de-activated Phone Hall of Fame Turkberry on me (the Samsung r355c) - so I took a few pictures.
* Looks like all new Tracfones coming out are now in a new open box format - no more hard plastic shell case.
* Ps: It does have a 3.2 inch screen... and if it was CDMA-V, I would have bought it on the spot! ... Brother! ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures provided by Turk and his Turkberry B-)

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
ROAD TRIP TIME!

muddy211

Hey Turk, what city you in? ... It's not available here in my local Wal-Marts? thanks ... muddy211.

Nevermind Turk, I clicked your profile and answered my own question...LOL!!! Duh Duh Duuuuuh!

Tarkio101

I got home from work, settled in on the couch with the laptop and saw the previous posts. I jumped up and went to
my nearest walmart (haven't been there in almost 6 years) to get this phone. I wanted it that much. Well, they didn't
have it. And the only person I could find "working" in electronics told me they didn't sell Tracfone there, despite the
fact they had several different models on the shelves.

Now I remember why I haven't been there in so long. It was such a frustrating experience that I will wait until it's on
sale elsewhere. Hopefully HSN will have it soon. It seems they are clearing out the LG 800g with a lower price, so
hopefully that is a sign the 840g isn't far away.

Tarkio101

So, does anyone have this phone in hand yet? I think I am most curious about how well the touchscreen works,
and if the multi touch functions. I know the screen stats, but am curious to see if it's really the same as the 800G
or if its a little better... As soon as I have the phone I will be writing a full review.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Tarkio101
October 12, 2012, 1:24 pm
So, does anyone have this phone in hand yet? I think I am most curious about how well the touchscreen works,
and if the multi touch functions. I know the screen stats, but am curious to see if it's really the same as the 800G
or if its a little better... As soon as I have the phone I will be writing a full review.
Give me 24 hours or so...

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Phone has been bought (Wal Mart Hooksett, NH). Will crack it open and charge it over night then move my number
and airtime in the AM before I head out on another road trip and give her a test drive... Also picked up the 440G.

annepani

The Sweeper
October 12, 2012, 8:05 pm
Phone has been bought (Wal Mart Hooksett, NH). Will crack it open and charge it over night then move my number
and airtime in the AM before I head out on another road trip and give her a test drive... Also picked up the 440G.
The_Sweeper,

Could you do a picture of the LG 800 side by side with the LG 840? I want to see how the sizes compare. Thanks.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
I no longer have the LG 800G, but here are a couple pics of the 840G next to the 900G.

She’s all activated and ready to go today...

Posted Image

Posted Image

annepani

The Sweeper
October 13, 2012, 5:54 am
She’s all activated and ready to go today.
Drive carefully.

When you get back, could you look in parameter 106 and see what is says for MMS and data charges?
Is it the old or the new rate or maybe Tracfone has invented something new.

Parameter 106 (I'm sure you know this) Prepaid > Code Entry Mode > *#106 > OK

The new high rate is
BW = ACT
R = 1.50

The original lower rate is
BW = T
R = 0.50

Or is it something else? ...... Thanks.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
The high rate you listed is the on one the 840G

muddy211

I'm so jealous.... My local Wal-marts don't have them yet...

annepani

The Sweeper
October 13, 2012, 11:16 am
The high rate you listed is the on one the 840G
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

How was your road trip?

Tarkio101

I'm just glad I have something concrete to base my purchasing decision on. Sometimes we see Tracfones mentioned
online, and it's 6 months before you can actually buy it. Good to know this one is out... Thanks for the info guys.

I see HSN is running the LG 800G on a lower price with less minutes for about the 5th time this week. I really think
they are trying to get rid of all of their inventory to get the 840g on the air asap... That's my hope at least.

muddy211

Hey Turk or Sweeper,

How much paypal for your next trip to Walmart to pick up and ship me this phone?

Of course your time and effort will be compensated...thanks, muddy211.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
muddy211
October 13, 2012, 6:12 pm
Hey Turk or Sweeper,
How much paypal for your next trip to Walmart to pick up and ship me this phone?
Please understand that while I bought the phone, in no way was it local. Please Google Claremont, NH to
Hooksett, NH... That was the trip I made on Friday night (and I never make runs on Friday nights), and the
earliest I could possible go back is next Saturday.

Tarkio101

I didn't know that Walmart was in New England. Looks like a long trip. You must have really wanted the phone!
Hope you are enjoying it.

annepani

muddy211
October 13, 2012, 11:58 am
I'm so jealous.... My local Wal-marts don't have them yet...
How did you find out they don't have them -- on the phone? .. I know from calling many Walmarts yesterday that they
just look on the shelf and tell you what is there and don't check inventory.

Someone reported that their Walmart didn't have them on the rack and they asked the salesperson to check inventory,
they were in the back and the person bought two. Maybe you will find that also.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweepster .... thanks man for the phone pictures ... let us know how the internet is / looks on the 3.2 inch screen.

* Tarkio101 ... yeah, I saw that HSN.com has dropped the price of the LG 800g this last week as well...

* Plus, I forgot to mention that the Walmart I saw this phone at, had all the LG 800g's removed from the shelves.

muddy211:

Hey Turk or Sweeper,
* muddy211 .... sorry man, I can't help you .... first of all, I don't have a paypal account.
* Plus, I don't feel comfortable doing this sort of thing for people from on the internet ... just sayin'
* Just give it some time, it'll be in Walmarts everywhere soon, I bet.. ;)

TuRk B-)

Tarkio101

"* Just give it some time, it'll be in Walmarts everywhere soon, I bet.. "

Even better, it might be on HSN soon--with free accessories, with 1400 minutes, a free case, free car charger, free
shipping, and 4 flex pays, and a price of 99.99. Hopefully.

FYI... if this is a $60 phone at retail, and HSN includes the normal amount of free minutes that they have in the past,
1400. That would work out to 2.8 cents per minute. I know I am guessing here, but just an interesting take on things.

I count 60 for the phone and 40 for the minutes based on the pattern HSN has followed in the past for similar Tracfones
they have offered, and me guessing it will sell for 99.99. If it comes with the usual accessories, I could guess about 5
bucks for the case and 10 for the car charger, and about 8 for shipping, but it's easier for me to think in terms of phone
and minutes only.

Keep reports coming of where this phone is available for purchase please.

D.K
Member Avatar

Turkers, we have finished the Tracfone LG 840G Review with video on Wontek.

We are pleased to say this LG 840G is a kick ass phone.

Maybe Santa Turk will give everyone a new LG 840G for Christmas!

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
I do have to say that I really like this phone. But if you do buy it and use it frequently, then I think you must buy and
apply a screen protector. This phone will get scratched real easy, trust me.

The screen is capactive touch, like Android phone. I was actually surprised at it. It may be a little hard for some folks
who have used the 800G a lot as you don’t need to press that hard and to move from one screen to the other, all you
have to do is gently swipe the screen.

Have not downloaded any apps for the phone yet (like Opera), since the native browser seems to do the job for now,
but I will probably add Opera sometime soon.

There is an app called ‘SNS; on the phone, like the review stated and it gives you access to Facebook, Twitter and
MySpace. I used the Facebook portion and it works real well, but there is no option that I could find that will let you
rotate the phone to landscape mode.

As I said, the native browser works well. When you start the browser you are in portrait mode and you can rotate the
screen to landscape mode via the setting menu in the upper right of the browser screen. However, you settings are
not saved and the next time you start up the browser, you will have to change to landscape again, if that’s what you
want.

I have not played with the camera at all, but I have to go out today as well, so I will shoot some pics with it and maybe
a short video

So far, minus the not having an accelerometer, I would recommend the phone. I cannot tell call quality as I am deaf,
but I do know that it has a very good vibrate mode. With the addition of 3G and wifi, this should out sell the 800G by
far and with Black Friday coming, I would definitely see this as being half price ($30) at some places, and if so, it will
sell out fast.

muddy211

Hey Turk, thanks anyway.... I'm still trying to bribe Sweeper... LOL. So much for patience is a virtue!!!

Take care all, muddy211.

annepani

Thanks, Sweeper, for taking the time to post a review.

Do you have any leads on a case for it?

Enjoy your day.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
At this time, I have not found anything, but seeing as the phone has had a mercurial release, it is not too surprising.
I am still trying to recover from the past 48 hours and I still have a short store tour to do today, so I probably skipped
a couple of things in my mini write up that will come back to me soon,

annepani

The Sweeper
October 14, 2012, 9:46 am
At this time, I have not found anything, but seeing as the phone has had a mercurial release, it is not too surprising.
I am still trying to recover from the past 48 hours and I still have a short store tour to do today, so I probably skipped
a couple of things in my mini write up that will come back to me soon,
We'll be waiting.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Thanks D. K. for posting the link to your official review of the LG 840G!
And, thanks Sweeper for your hands-on mini review! They are both very helpful.

Sweeper -- Is it true that this phone only works with T-Mobile?
And, have you had the opportunity to try out the Wi-Fi? How does the Wi-Fi work for you?

Thanks,

ShadowDancer :)

ciliegia

annepani
October 13, 2012, 10:58 am
The Sweeper
October 13, 2012, 5:54 am
She’s all activated and ready to go today.
Drive carefully.

When you get back, could you look in parameter 106 and see what is says for MMS and data charges?
Is it the old or the new rate or maybe Tracfone has invented something new.

Parameter 106 (I'm sure you know this) Prepaid > Code Entry Mode > *#106 > OK

The new high rate is
BW = ACT
R = 1.50

The original lower rate is
BW = T
R = 0.50

Or is it something else? ..... Thanks.
Can a code entry code be changed? .. If so, how? .. If not, why not?

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
ShadowDancer
October 14, 2012, 1:26 pm

And, have you had the opportunity to try out the Wi-Fi? How does the Wi-Fi work for you?

Thanks, ShadowDancer :)
Mine has an AT&T SIM card. Has to, as I have 3G on the phone at home and T-Mobile only provides EDGE here.

Wifi works well... Surfed a little at a local McD's with no problems.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi Sweeper,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply! .. I appreciate all the information with which you have provided us.

Enjoy your new phone!

ShadowDancer :)

Tarkio101

annepani
October 14, 2012, 9:18 am
Thanks, Sweeper, for taking the time to post a review.... Do you have any leads on a case for it?
Remember, this phone is also called the LG T375 Cookie Smart, so searching for accessories for that model
number will work. If you have any doubt, use some of the links I posted above and double check the dimensions.
They appear to be identical in every way.

A lot of ebay retailers are outside the US, so they are more likely to have accessories listed for the T375 since it's
already been released in some other countries and is that model number is used more universally... Good luck.

Tarkio101

The lack of acceleromator was a bummer on the 800g as well, but I remedied that by using the Opera browser
and changing the settings to always surf in landscape mode. I am going to test out some of the other browsers,
like UC, and see if they have the same option.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Not much of a shutterbug, but here are a couple of pics from the 840G’s camera.
First is my Natasha waiting for me and the second is obviously the no contract phone rack at Best Buy.
Kind of hard for me to go from the 8MP camera on my Galaxy S2 to the camera on the 840G, so I know they are not the best.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tarkio101

D.K
October 14, 2012, 5:14 am
Turkers, we have finished the Tracfone LG 840G Review with video on Wontek.

We are pleased to say this LG 840G is a kick ass phone.

Maybe Santa Turk will give everyone a new LG 840G for Christmas!
Not too sure I can believe anything in this review. The guy is wrong on so many points. He said that most Android
phones struggle to last for 1 or 2 hours of talk time??? Come on man. Thinks it's the first 3G phone on Tracfone--
wrong. First wifi phone on Tracfone--also wrong... Says that there is no kind of app store for it? What? There are
dozens of places to get apps for this phone. Getjar is a good one, but there are too many to list.

Also says that this phone will not play Youtube or any other streaming video. This may be true, but that would be
a real bummer. But who knows. I'll wait for someone else to give me a definitive answer... The LG 800 did not (at
least I couldn't get it to) but the Samsung 390 did, and it's no smart phone.

He doesn't know what network it works on. I'm sure even sure this phone is activated, yet he's making statements
about how good/fast the coverage is. The packaging stickers are still all over the phone, so it doesn't look like he's
done much more than just open the box and start making the video.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
When attempting to view a youtube video via the cell notwork, I get "Please connect to a wi-fi network to view
this content"..... So, it's like the Samsung T-528G in that respect.

annepani

Tarkio101
October 14, 2012, 3:32 pm
Not too sure I can believe anything in this review. The guy is wrong on so many points.
In addition to everything you listed, he also said he never could get the wifi working.

It sounds like he should be listening, not talking.

Tarkio101

The Sweeper
October 14, 2012, 3:53 pm
When attempting to view a youtube video via the cell notwork, I get "Please connect to a wi-fi network to view
this content"...... So, it's like the Samsung T-528G in that respect.
Giving you that message, it sounds like it is capable of playing video. If not, I think it would give some error code
rather than direct you to a wifi connection. When you try it on wifi, let us know please.

I tried a Best Buy and Target today, in addition to walmart a few days ago and haven't found it anywhere yet.
May just resort to self control and assume it will be out on HSN soon. :)

It is possible that he couldn't get the wifi to work on his phone, but I've heard that before about lots of phones and
I've never had the issue myself. But from the rest of his information, I'll stick with the opinions and experiences I get
on here. Thanks for the updates guys!

Tech
Member Avatar

Sweeper, have you tried a larger sd card in the device? ... Would be nice to get up in the 16gb range.

Thanks for your feedback, btw.

chanoman

Tech
October 15, 2012, 1:27 am
Sweeper, have you tried a larger sd card in the device? ... Would be nice to get up in the 16gb range.
Thanks for your feedback, btw.
Hi all, my 1st post here.

I just got 2 of these. Opened one.

User guide PDF says up tp 32gb microsd. FYI, Fry's has a Samsung 32gb class 10 card on sale for $23 plus $2 ship.
I ordered 2 and the shipping was still $2 for the order. That is currently the best price I could find on it.

I tried to watch a youtube video via wifi, but it locked up, then rebooted the phone. Suggestions on a workaround?

It plays my existing video files fine, but downsizes them onscreen, due to a different aspect ratio than my Moto EX124G.
The Moto is approx 16:9 while the 840 is close to old school 4:3. I measured the screens in Millimeters with a precision scale (ruler).
The Moto is 70x43 /82 Diag, while the 840 is 65x49 /81 Diag. The total area is approximately the same. Here's a comparison pic.

Posted Image

Thanks, Chano

ciliegia

Can the parameters of the phone be changed? .. If so, how? .. If not, why?

BTW... thanks for the photo.

GRRacing

Can someone who has the LG 840G tell me if the phone has a qwerty keyboard input for messaging?
All I can find seems to indicate that you have to use the number keypad input.

The Walmart here in KS got them in yesterday. But I did not buy one yet because of the lack of information
on the keyboard... Thanks for any assistance here.

chanoman

GRRacing
October 15, 2012, 3:06 pm
Can someone who has the LG 840G tell me if the phone has a qwerty keyboard input for messaging?
All I can find seems to indicate that you have to use the number keypad input.

The Walmart here in KS got them in yesterday. But I did not buy one yet because of the lack of information
on the keyboard...Thanks for any assistance here.
Yes, it has QWERTY touch keyboard for texting, and with the native browser, you can enter URL's by keyboard, but
can't enter text within webpages with QWERTY. There's no option for it. Kind of stupid. That is one of the few flaws at
this point. A different browser may solve that, haven't downloaded one yet.

D.K
Member Avatar

ShadowDancer
October 14, 2012, 1:26 pm

Thanks, ShadowDancer :)
My pleasure as always. :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper ... thanks for showing pictures you took with the LG 840g... you mean there's no snow up there yet?! (lol)

* chanoman ... thanks for your input and for showing a side by side picture of the 2 phones... that's a good comparison.

* D.K ... thanks man for giving us a video review of the LG 840g... the first one on the internet, I bet.
* I heard that Wontek might be sending me that LG 840g that's in the video?, just to say "thanks". (lol) :D

annepani:

Tarkio101

Not too sure I can believe anything in this review. The guy is wrong on so many points.
In addition to everything you listed, he also said he never could get the wifi working.

It sounds like he should be listening, not talking.
* Yeah, he might of been wrong with a few minor things, but he deals with so many different cell phones, that I'm sure
* he just forgot about some things.
* So don't sweat the small stuff folks... it's actually seeing a video of this new phone that should be the big deal here.

* I hear all the time on here: "I wish someone would make a video of this or that phone so we can see it live".
* Then when someone brings us a video of this or that phone, they get pounced on ... ain't that a kick in the groin.

* D.K - Wontek are long standing contributing members to Turk Forums, just like some other members on here.
* So come on guys, we don't need "snide remarks, comments, or attacks" on fellow members ... save that crap for
* Youtube, or for those "other forums" out there, but not on here. ;)

* Thanks for understanding everyone...

B-) Turk -- "Good day .... I said good day!"

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I try to remember what Thumper said to Bambi -- "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

And that age-old character adage "If you can't be big, at least don't belittle."

Although sometimes I forget - especially in an election year.

Kraut

Hi, I had a question about the LG 840g...

When you are on Facebook, can you use the QWERTY keyboard or do you have to use the number keypad for input?

Thank you!

GRRacing

I picked up the LG 840G at Walmart today. It is now charging so have not done anything with it.
Will activate it tomorrow and get my current Tracfone number moved over to it.

Someone a day or so ago posted that they used a usb cable to load some data. Can someone tell me what kind
of usb cable they used? If you go to any website selling them they do not have the LG 840G listed as a model.
Same thing goes for a larger sd card... What kind of card do I need to look for?

The "posters" on this board seem pretty knowledgeable so I am sure someone has the answers. Thanks. Gene

annepani

GRRacing
October 16, 2012, 7:21 pm
I picked up the LG 840G at Walmart today. It is now charging so have not done anything with it.
Will activate it tomorrow and get my current Tracfone number moved over to it.

Someone a day or so ago posted that they used a usb cable to load some data. Can someone tell me what kind
of usb cable they used? If you go to any website selling them they do not have the LG 840G listed as a model.
Same thing goes for a larger sd card... What kind of card do I need to look for?

The "posters" on this board seem pretty knowledgeable so I am sure someone has the answers. Thanks. Gene
You need a microUSB to USB data/charging cable. Make sure you do not get just a charging cable.
They look identical but a charging cable does not have the ability to transfer data.

I recommend a Sandisk microSD card. It is safer to get it at a large reputable store like BestBuy or Radio Shack.
SanDisk is highly desirable and there are many counterfeit cards on amazon, etc.

GRRacing

May be too early for this type of question. Anyone know how to get rid of the date and time display on the homepage?

That is pretty annoying to see all the time... Thanks. Gene

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
GRRacing
October 17, 2012, 3:49 pm
May be too early for this type of question. Anyone know how to get rid of the date and time display on the homepage?
That is pretty annoying to see all the time... Thanks. Gene
Click the arrow in the lower right hand corner above the menu bar, slide the clock to the widget bar that appears
and you should have removed the clock from that screen.

GRRacing

Sweeper: Doing that actually "added" the clock to the home page. Now I cannot remove it.

How do I get it back to the bar at the bottom? ... Thanks. Gene

GRRacing

Sweeper: OK, I got it back off. Sorry.

What I wanted to remove was the black square on the home page with the date and time on it.

That is just annoying to look at superimposed over the background... Thanks. Gene

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
If you are talking about the clock on the lock screen, there is not a way, that I can find, to remove it.

Tarkio101

Any updates from anyone who has the phone and wants to share their opinion?

I'm especially curious about youtube or other video and how/if it plays on the phone, and if so, how well.

josim

Saw this at Walmart yesterday and came here to get the low down. ;-) The Turkamaniacs do not disappoint.

Wife and I have LG 800g's and enjoy them. The calendar feature is very helpful but doesn't allow qwerty input and
I have been unable to sync it to our Window Live calendar... So my questions are:

Does this have a useful calendar and does it use qwerty kybd for input?
If so, can the calendar be sync'd with other calenders? (Google, Windows Live)
Is there an app to allow placing calls via WIFI and not use minutes?

Thanks josim

Edit to acknowledge this is not an android phone... Looks somewhat like an android screen though.

muddy211

Well, I found this phone at my local walmart for $59.99.... so far seems like an excellent phone... I have been trying
since last night to find a case on Ebay and Google search for the different names this phone is under...no such luck..

muddy211

Tarkio101

Hopefully some cases will turn up soon. I searched on Amazon and did find the phone for sale, and did find screen
protectors made for the phone. So it would appear that the companies who make accessories are aware of this phone.
Tracfone users don't often get a phone when it is just coming out...

Tech
Member Avatar

So, mama was at Wally World and on a hunch I called her to see if they had this phone. People were lined up
waiting to buy three at a time (I hate it when they do this) and she was able to grab it for me. It's charging now.
First thing I'm going to try out is my 16gb sd card. If that works, I'll buy a 32gb and test it to make sure.

My sons old Iphone case works with a little reconfiguring of some holes.

Tech is a very happy camper. :D

Late Edit: 16gb does not work...

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
This phone is selling very well. The store where I bought mine last Friday had 7 in stock. Today, they had none, but
2 other Wal Mart stores in the area have stocked them... Hoping to see this as a Black Friday special somewhere.

andy1742

I put a 16gb SanDisk card in my 840g, and it works fine.

Tech
Member Avatar

andy1742
October 20, 2012, 9:39 pm
I put a 16gb SanDisk card in my 840g, and it works fine.
Yeah? Go figger... I put a 4 gig in too and it didn't work either. All the same brand. PNY Micro SD.
At least it works then. Thanks.

I'm going to try to convert all of my kids baseball video and whatnot from the lg 800g to get along with
this 840g in the meantime.

annepani

Tech
October 20, 2012, 11:15 pm
Go figger... I put a 4 gig in too and it didn't work either. All the same brand. PNY Micro SD.
Try Sandisk.

Tech
Member Avatar

annepani
October 21, 2012, 12:18 am
Tech
October 20, 2012, 11:15 pm
Go figger... I put a 4 gig in too and it didn't work either. All the same brand. PNY Micro SD.
Try Sandisk.
The 4gb PNY is working now. Even my pc doesn't read the 16gb so it's probably no good. It's new though which
is slightly annoying. Don't know that I feel like playing carrot and stick with sd cards now, so maybe later.

Other than that, I like the phone. Menues are rather basic but an ok phone for what it is.

Browser is blazing fast on wi-fi too on the native browser.
Still can't seem to get a signed version of any other browser like on the 800g.

This is their best phone by far yet... At least I think so.

Tarkio101

Hey Tech, have you played videos from Youtube or something similar while on WIFI? ... Does it play OK?

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 21, 2012, 2:08 pm
Hey Tech, have you played videos from Youtube or something similar while on WIFI? ... Does it play OK?
Nope. Doesn't stream videos by default. Probably can though if'n we're persistent enough to figger on it.

Here's a side by side of the LG 800g, btw... Sorry about the dust. Renovating...

Posted Image

Tarkio101

Oh, that really stinks. I know it's not a powerful phone, but was hoping it could play video at least.

Maybe there is a way... Otherwise, I'm rapidly losing interest...

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
October 21, 2012, 3:33 pm
Oh, that really stinks. I know it's not a powerful phone, but was hoping it could play video at least.
Maybe there is a way... Otherwise, I'm rapidly losing interest...
Yep. Another thing is that I was able to get a signed version of opera mini but it's way slower than trac's native browser
and there is no setting to remove the opera navigation/keypad from the bottom of the browser in the games and apps
section like on the LG 800g so it's not able to go genuine full screen... Opera mini probably doesn't support the phone
just yet and maybe that's why so in the mean time I'm removing opera mini. This new version 7 is kind of slow anyhow
and was a pita on the lg 800g too so... bye bye, opera mini.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tech
October 21, 2012, 1:38 pm
Try the normal versions of Opera Mini and UC Browser and see if they work. I couldn't install the signed version
of Opera Mini on my r455C but the normal version worked fine without any security warnings or those annoying
untrusted messages everytime it wanted to connect to the web... Maybe this phone can tolerate the unsigned
versions too.

Tech
Member Avatar

BobbyLee
October 21, 2012, 4:34 pm
Tech
October 21, 2012, 1:38 pm
Try the normal versions of Opera Mini and UC Browser and see if they work. I couldn't install the signed version
of Opera Mini on my r455C but the normal version worked fine without any security warnings or those annoying
untrusted messages everytime it wanted to connect to the web... Maybe this phone can tolerate the unsigned
versions too.
I did try that already but just didn't want unsigned stuff on the phone. One more thing that I like about this phone is
that you don't have to bumblefudge around with the unlocking if the phone on incoming calls and can access the
keypad and call waiting, speaker phone and all of that. I really didn't like the unlocking thing on the lg800g so this
is definitely a plus. Great sound too.

I'll probably just stick with tracs native browser. Just tired of messing with opera mini 7... It's just plain slow even if
you could get rid of the keypad thingamabob with a workaround.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tech,
Does the 840G suffer the "Insufficient Memory" warnings when you use the native browser and visit normal web
sites with pages bigger than 300K? That was the main reason folks sought out alternate browsers on these phones
in the past, to prevent getting the "Insufficient Memory" warnings followed by the native browser crashing/closing.

I agree that screen lock on the LG 800G sucks. At least using the Power/Unlock button to instantaneously unlock it
instead of the screen unlock button (that you press until it decides to unlock it) helped make it a 'little' more tolerable.

You might give UC Browser a shot, it's faster than Opera Mini though not as nice/finished in my opinion.
It's a Chinese browser just FYI.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.