* Welcome to Turk Forums -- The #1 TracFone and Net10 Forum in the World!
* Turk Forums is also the home of the famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
* The Holy Scroll is officially the #1 TracFone Promotion Code list in the World!
* Viewing this forum as a non-member, you have limited access to some areas.
* However, by signing up, you'll have full access to all the member only sections.
* So do what the cool kids do and sign up - which is very simple, fast, and free!
* If you're already a Turkamaniac - just Log in to have access to all the Forums.
|(Trac/Net10) Samsung s380c Phone Topic|
|Tweet Topic Started: September 24, 2012, 12:21 am (13,882 Views)|
|Turk||September 24, 2012, 12:21 am Post #1|
* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.
* A new CDMA phone looks to be coming out down the road for Tracfone and/or Net10 called the Samsung s380c.
* It's basically the Samsung Freeform 3 that came out last year for MetroPCS (updated version of the r355c & r375c).
* It's a blackberry type phone with a qwerty keypad - has a 1.3mp camera (no recorder), MP3 player, no WiFi or 3G?
* If it comes out for Tracfone, hopefully it will include TMFL ... and I am guessing the price will be around $50 to $60.
* Ps: thanks to The Sweeper for finding out this information first for us on Tracfone.com and Net10.com.
* Tracfone Tutorial: http://tracfone.devicebits.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFSAS380C&locale=en_US
* Net10 Tutorial: http://tracfone.devicebits.com/net10/home.seam?custId=NTSAS380C&locale=en_US
|ShadowDancer||September 24, 2012, 1:08 am Post #2|
Here's an early, brief review of the new Samsung S380C . . .
Samsung s380c TracFone | NET10 Review
|Turk||September 26, 2012, 12:59 am Post #3|
* ShadowDancer .... thanks for the article review of this phone...
* I don't know if these phone review articles are legit or not, I always see a bunch of them before new Fones come out.
* I always wonder how they get their hands on them, like only a day or two, after the phones starts showing up online?
* One day the phone appears out of no-where on Tracfone.com, and within 24 hours, there are already phone reviews!? (lol)
* Anyway, the reason I question some of these Tracfone reviews, is because they have been wrong sometimes in the
* past with phone specs & features... I think they sometimes just assume what the phone will have when it comes out.
* However, I see in the article they say the phone will have 3G speed on the Verizon network? -- it may or may not?
* Actually, if the phone doesn't have WiFi, I'd prefer it not having 3G, because they will charge more on data usage.
* The browser will probably cost more to use, and using MMS will also cost more, similar to the Samsung s390g.
* Anyway, this will probably be my next phone when it comes out, unless something else really good shows up.
* I wish Tracfone would also come out with a nice CDMA touchscreen phone with a big screen (with or without WiFi).
* So until this phone shows up for sale, I guess I'll just go ahead and use my Moto ex124g I bought off Tracfone.com.
* Ps: will You or BobbyLee be interested in the Samsung s380c, or are you guys happy to just stay with your r455c?
T U R K
|ShadowDancer||September 26, 2012, 9:31 pm Post #4|
That’s a good question. Don’t know whether these early reviewers have really seen an advanced copy of the
phone, or whether they are just guessing.
I plan to stick with my Samsung r455C unless it starts giving me problems. The only thing that would tempt me
to upgrade at the present time might be a CDMA smartphone with WiFi.. And, we both know that’s not going to
happen any time soon.
|The Sweeper||October 5, 2012, 7:28 pm Post #5|
Bad To The Bone.
The s380c phone tutorial is now live for your viewing pleasure...
|ciliegia||October 5, 2012, 7:37 pm Post #6|
Well, at least we now know that this phone doesn't have wi-fi ... pity.
|tfuser19||October 5, 2012, 7:43 pm Post #7|
||http://prepaidrevs.com/samsung-s380c-tracfone-straight-talk ... Says it has WiFi?|
|The Sweeper||October 5, 2012, 7:51 pm Post #8|
Bad To The Bone.
They also list the camera at 2MP when it's only 1.3.
Most sites that 'review' a phone that has never been released are just posting specs.
|tfuser19||October 5, 2012, 8:05 pm Post #9|
I wonder where they're getting their specs from .... that review was written as if the person had one for the review.
Where is the 1.3MP camera spec coming from that you cited?
|The Sweeper||October 5, 2012, 8:07 pm Post #10|
Bad To The Bone.
|Right on the main page of the phone tutorial.|
|Turk||October 6, 2012, 12:39 am Post #11|
* Sweeper .... thanks man for the tutorial link ... however, I won't be relieved until I see a Tracfone tutorial show up.
* This phone has all the specs and stuff I expected it to have ... so I am not shocked with anything I see about it.
* It won't have WiFi, but I wonder if it will be 3G? ... I don't think so since it has the 1X logo on it ... which is fine with me.
* With the slow releases of CDMA Fones, I wouldn't be surprised if this phone doesn't show up until after the new year.
* tfuser19 .... read my post above (post #3) ... I talked about how these early phone reviews are somewhat suspect.
* I don't believe everything I read online about these new phones until I see a phone tutorial put up on Straight Talk,
* Tracfone or Net10 websites.
* Ps: for those who are interested (which is probably no one)(lol) - I'm planning on transferring my phone number from
* my Net10 Samsung r355c over to my reconditioned Motorola ex124g I bought off Tracfone.com this coming Monday.
* I have only 2 minutes and 1 week of service left on my r355c (Turkberry) - then I'll probably use the Moto ex124g up
* until Christmas or later, depending when this phone shows up, then I'll probably get this phone, the s380c.
Turk's iFone (ex124g) is just about here!
|tfuser19||October 6, 2012, 7:39 am Post #12|
I don't usually believe everything I read either, but that one looks so believable ... hah, I guess not.
So I'm interested in your phone switch, I guess from Net 10 to Tracfone.
Be sure to take good notes and tell use how the customer service from both branches and how easy the transfer was.
The ex124g is a nice looking phone - but it's not CDMA, so I'll be looking forward to your review of how you like it and
if the coverage is good in you neck of the woods.
I cannot imagine the new S380C phone being 1G ?? I bet it will be 3G like the S380G, but we'll have to wait and see.
|Tarkio101||October 6, 2012, 5:57 pm Post #13|
||1x is just a CDMA designation for non-EVDO data... It's a 2g connection.|
|tfuser19||October 6, 2012, 7:05 pm Post #14|
Tarkio101, thanks ... I did not realize that.
Anyone have a good reference that summarizes or compares Edge, 1X, 2G, 3G, 4G, etc?
Edit: Some references I found:
|TF Noob||October 6, 2012, 11:29 pm Post #15|
Most of the GSM carriers are phasing out their 2G data so it forced Tracfone to start offering 3G phones.
If the CDMA carriers start phasing out their slower data services then I'm sure they will do the same.
|annepani||October 9, 2012, 6:50 pm Post #16|
The tutorial for the Tracfone S380C with a link to the 123 page manual has been posted to the Tracfone tutorials page.
Definitely no wifi.
The Net10 S380C tutorial was posted several days ago.
Maybe the phone will be available for sale in 4 - 6 weeks?
|Turk||October 10, 2012, 12:05 am Post #17|
* Thanks annepani for the Tracfone s380c tutorial link ... I am happy to see it finally show up for Net10 and Tracfone.
* Net10 s380c Tuturial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?custId=NTSAS380C&locale=en_US
* I guess all we can do now is just sit and wait for its arrival.
* tfuser19 .... here is my professional reference / comparison...
> Edge ... sucks
> 1X ... sucks 2
> 2G ... also sucks
> 3G ... pretty good
> 4G ... really good
* Laugh folks, just having some fun..
TurkG ... Awesome!
|Turk||December 13, 2012, 1:45 pm Post #18|
* Well, well, well ... look what the cat dragged in ... the new Tracfone Samsung s380c has finally arrived folks!!
* It is now available for sale on Tracfone's website -- price is only $50 (awesome!) -- and it has TMFL -- no 3G or Wifi.
* Tracfone.com Link: http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do- Samsungs380c
* I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for this phone to show up on Tracfone.com for the last few months now!
* I don't know if I should order one from Tracfone.com or wait and see if maybe any stores (Target) may get them in?
* I thought maybe it wouldn't show up until Spring time ... so all I have to say is ... "Merry Christmas to me!" (LOL)
* Ps: AKmaro1 ... if you read this, do you think you might get this new CDMA phone to replace your old LG 290c?
CDMA + Verizon = Turk
|annepani||December 13, 2012, 2:28 pm Post #19|
Hi Turk, Tracfone is giving you an early Merry Christmas... Turk speaks, Tracfone listens.
As far as ordering from Trac vs waiting for Target: Remember that bigcrumbs.com is now giving 28.2% off.
So that brings the price through Tracfone down to $35.90 plus sales tax.
Don't wait. Go for it now!
This discount announcement brought to you by Christmas Elf/Santa's Helper, Annepani.
|The Sweeper||December 13, 2012, 6:30 pm Post #20|
Bad To The Bone.
|Ordered! ... They are also throwing in a $15 gas card, or so my order states.|
|tfuser19||December 14, 2012, 12:19 am Post #21|
Used Turk's link http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do- Samsungs380c to check out the phone.
"Successfully added Samsung S380C into your cart.
Promotional code TF15GAS has been auto-applied to your order.
Successfully added $15 Gas Card into your cart."
Phone is showing as "Out of Stock" in cart, but cart also shows a no charge "$15 Gas Card", so effective price
would be $49.99 + tax - $15 (gas card).
Save even more ......... 28% cash back buying through bigcrumbs.com or 15% through fatwallet.com .
|annepani||December 14, 2012, 1:14 am Post #22|
Hey, that's my line. See post #19.
As far as ordering from Trac vs waiting for Target: Remember that bigcrumbs.com is now giving 28.2% off.
So that brings the price through Tracfone down to $35.90 plus sales tax.
|Turk||December 14, 2012, 1:41 am Post #23|
* Elf Annepani ... thanks for the tip about bigcrumbs ... however, I don't own a paypal account to be able to use that site.
* Sweeper ... yeah, I also saw that, that Tracfone.com is giving a free $15 gas gift card with the phone order, not bad.
* So basically, you would be getting the phone for $35 then ... $50 - $15 gas card = $35 ... not bad, not bad at all.
* I think I'll just order it from Tracfone.com and be done with it -- it may never show up in stores around here anyways.
* Target was the only store around here that ever got in the Samsung r455c, so that is why I was thinking about Target.
* I'll probably order it over the next fews days, and hopefully get it in on Monday or Tuesday of next week, we'll see...
* Sweeper ... since you'll probably get the phone before any of us ... feel free to post different pictures of it for us, thanks.
* tfuser19 .... yeah brother, quit stealing other people's lines, what's wrong with you! ... (LOL - just teasing ya)
* Ps: I noticed whenever a new Tracfone appears on their website, it usually say "out of stock" for about a day or so.
Turkberry 3 - coming to a forum near you.
|The Sweeper||December 14, 2012, 9:48 am Post #24|
Bad To The Bone.
Well, my phone has shipped. Since they don’t do Saturday delivery, I won’t get it until late Monday afternoon...
so, someone here will probably get theirs before I get mine.
|annepani||December 14, 2012, 10:06 am Post #25|
I doubt that ANYBODY will get theirs before you... You are fast, Sweep.
|tfuser19||December 14, 2012, 10:37 am Post #26|
annepani, ooops, sorry, I missed where you mentioned breadcrumbs.com in your post.
|annepani||December 14, 2012, 12:44 pm Post #27|
What about fatwallet? 15% ... It pains me to think of you paying full price.
|tfuser19||December 14, 2012, 7:49 pm Post #28|
Hey, that's my line.
|annepani||December 14, 2012, 9:58 pm Post #29|
Really? Even the part about it paining you to watch somebody pay full price?
Well alrighty then. Here .............. you can have it back.
|Turk||December 15, 2012, 1:30 am Post #30|
* annepani .... thanks for all the helpful tips about saving some money on all those other sites...
* But aren't those all "cash back" sites? ... and don't you need a paypal account to use those type of sites?
* I don't have any paypal accounts online, anywhere - and I don't have any credit cards registered anywhere either.
* So don't worry, I don't mind spending the $50, plus Tracfone is giving a free $15 gas card, so that's still pretty good.
* I think I'll wait til one day next week to order mine, hopefully Sweeper gets it asap and post some pictures for us first.
Turkberry 3 is upon us!
|annepani||December 15, 2012, 1:40 am Post #31|
Hopefully they will still have the gas cards available... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
|Turk||December 16, 2012, 3:04 am Post #32|
* annepani .... did you un-cross your fingers? ... because the free $15 gas card is removed from Tracfone.com!
* (LOL)... just teasing ya... but yeah, Tracfone isn't offering the free $15 gas card anymore with the phone... crap!
* I was gonna order the phone on Friday evening, but I see the gas card isn't showing up now, it was Thursday night.
* So, I guess I will wait awhile before ordering now, and see if the free gas card maybe comes back or something?
* Who knows, maybe by waiting, this phone might become available for sale cheaper on eBay or Amazon or HSN?
* Also, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll start to show up in some stores around here soon... and maybe be on sale?
* Anyway, I think I'll wait until New Years and see what all my options will be by then, then I will make my decision.
* Ps: I thought this phone was gonna be $60 when it came out, just like the Samsung r455c, but I'm glad it's not.
Turkberry 3 - put on hold?
|The Sweeper||December 17, 2012, 4:20 pm Post #33|
Bad To The Bone.
Phone has arrived, but will not be activated until tomorrow when I can get the number and airtime from my other
CDMA phone and transfer it to this.
|Turk||December 18, 2012, 2:25 am Post #34|
* Sweeper ... thanks for the great pictures! ... the phone looks awesome (of course) ... I feel a little jealous now. (lol)
* I'm also mad ... just think, if Tracfone.com didn't drop the free $15 gas card, I'd have the phone right now in my hand!
* Ok Sweepster, here are a few questions maybe you can answer for me in the meantime... thanks.
> Does the phone have Java? (I think it does) ... I want to be able to add free games to it.
> How's the qwerty keyboard? ... is it easy to type on? ... is it smooth and nice?
> How's the phone overall in general?... do you feel it's nice / good / not bad / crap?
> Did you get the free $15 gas card with your phone?
Turkberry 3 is alive!
|The Sweeper||December 18, 2012, 12:17 pm Post #35|
Bad To The Bone.
> Does the phone have Java? (I think it does) .... The 380C is a Brew phone, no java
> How's the qwerty keyboard? .... Very nice. A pic of the 380C vs the 501C is below
> How's the phone overall in general? .... I’ve had experience with the Metro Freeform 3, and since this is the
twin of it, I do like it very much.
Yes, I did get the $15 gas card... It came a a code I had to redeem on another site.
WARNING: The S380C charges for data like the 3G GSM phones (according to the parameter menu).
I have not been able to access the web from the browser as of now. It may be because I swapped a short time ago.
I will give it a few more hours before I submit a trouble ticket.
|annepani||December 18, 2012, 1:15 pm Post #36|
Where did you look in the phone to see that it is BREW? ... Actually, where do you look in any phone?
|The Sweeper||December 18, 2012, 2:30 pm Post #37|
Bad To The Bone.
I actually had seen it online, but I have been proven wrong, as the S380C does supports Java.
Will attempt to download Opera soon.
Sent a pic shortly after I had data access and was charged 5.775 minutes on top of the 1.0 minutes for
initiation on a pic that was 393KB.
|Turk||December 19, 2012, 1:31 am Post #38|
* Sweeper .... thanks for the latest picture .... can you post a picture of the s380c beside the LG 900g and/or s390g?
* I'm glad the phone has Java ... I thought it would, since the Samsung r455c and LG 501c have it.
* What?! ... you got to be kidding me! ... if it doesn't have 3G, I feel it shouldn't charge 3G rates! ... maybe it's mistake?
* The Samsung r455c and LG 501c didn't charge more for data use ... and neither should this one, I feel.
* If it had 3G, I would accept that, but it doesn't, so I won't ... hope the one I buy uses normal data rates, we'll see.
* Anyway, keep us posted on all of this, Sweeper .... thanks..
Turkberry 3 is in the house!
|Turk||December 20, 2012, 2:07 am Post #39|
* Jackpot !!! .... Woooooooo! .... ORDERED! (Wednesday) .... Woooooooo! .... be here on Monday!? .... Woooooooo!
* Sweeper .... thanks man for the $10 off promo code .... if you got if from someone else, I also thank them.
* It said in my order that promo code 1999 was also applied? ... wonder what that code was for? ... free food/gas card?
* I tried the 2012D code on Net10's website and it didn't seem to work there ... I didn't try it on Straight Talk's website.
* Anyway, I'd rather have the $10 off my order, than getting a free $15 gas card ... who knows, maybe I'll get both?
Turkberry 3 is ordered!
|The Sweeper||December 21, 2012, 1:39 pm Post #40|
Bad To The Bone.
Here are a few notes so far on my s380c...
The right soft key is the browser button and there is no way to reassign the button or to disable the browser.
A fail on Tracfone’s part, in my opinion. There is a lock screen key on the bottom left side of the keyboard that
will instantly lock the screen to prevent “accidental” pressing of the browser soft key.
Anyone who buys the phone will probably want a gel case or a snap on case. The phone is a little slick in the
hand and can easily slip out of your hand, if you’re not careful.
Opera mini 7 has been installed with no problems (I used the one that was presented to me when I accessed
m.opera.com). No “intrusted app” errors.
Keyboard is very nice and offers great feedback compared to the 501C.
Bluetooth is open. I snapped a pic with the 380C and was able to transfer it off the phone to my Galaxy S2 and
then right back to the 380C. Makes sense since there is a microSD card slot in the phone.
Screen is on par with the original Freeform, or 355C.
Camera is decent for a 1.3MP but would love to have flash.
These net 2 things may be problems with my phone only:
While having the native browser open (it does work very well), I tried to access Facebook with the preprogrammed
web link and my phone restarted almost instantly, and every time I would try to access Facebook.
No other preprogrammed web link would cause the restart, only Facebook.
Battery life has raised a yellow flag. Phone had a full charge on Wednesday afternoon at 3:30 PM and when
I “woke up” the phone at 11AM the following morning, I had 2 bars of battery left... Now, I do know that a new
battery has a “breaking in” period, so I am hoping that is the cause of the bad battery life right now. Obviously,
I will stay on top of it and if it does not improve, I will see what they will do about the situation. Bluetooth was
not active during that time, either.
Over all, this is a fantastic phone, and I would recommend it far more than I would the 501C and way more than
the 505C. The 501C was too compact, and the 505C is just too expensive. The only difference I can see between
the 505C and the 380C is the touch screen on the 505C and that in no way is worth $40 more than the 380C.
I am sure that Turk will love the phone.
|ShadowDancer||December 21, 2012, 5:11 pm Post #41|
I tried to access Facebook with the preprogrammed web link and my phone restarted almost instantly, and every time I would try to access
Facebook. No other preprogrammed web link would cause the restart, only Facebook.
Although I don't have the Samsung 380C, I do have the Samsung 455C. And, when I received my first unit, the Photo
Images would not display. Instead, the phone would simply reboot itself, or as you wrote, "restart.".. The cause of this
rebooting was a defect with the Photo Image Display. Consequently, based on your description, I strongly suspect that
your unit may be encountering a problem with its pre-programmed Facebook web link.
Sometimes, multiple rebootings of the phone will correct the problem. But, at other times, it is a permanent glitch in
that particular unit. . . . When I received my replacement Samsung 455C, it went through at least six reboots before
I could get the Photo Image Display to finally launch. But, the Photo Display has been working okay since that time.
|Turk||December 22, 2012, 1:28 am Post #42|
* ShadowDancer ... thanks for your input & experiences ... I think it's time for you to upgrade to the Turkberry 3. (lol)
* Sweeper .... thanks for all that new information that you posted up above about the phone... keep it coming.
* Everything you mentioned about this phone is pretty much the same as the Samsung r355c I had, which is good.
* The s380c battery is the same as the r355c - it lasted forever! - best battery in the history of phone batteries! (lol)
* Maybe something is wrong with your battery? -- I don't know -- keep us updated on that -- thanks.
* I don't use Facebook, etc ... so if it didn't work on my phone, it wouldn't matter to me, for I wouldn't use it anyway.
* As far as cases/covers ... I always buy a black gel skin for all my Fones ... I like that it adds protection & bulk to the phone.
* Love it?! .... I don't have the phone yet and I already love it! (lol)
* Heck, I love the phone more than my wife .... but not more than my girlfriend .... Woooooooooo! (LOL)
Turkberry 3 is on its way!
|The Sweeper||December 22, 2012, 6:14 pm Post #43|
Bad To The Bone.
An update on battery life...
When I first activated the phone, I was not asked to dial *22890, as is usually required of Verizon network phones.
After I had seen the bad battery drain and recharged the phone, I remembered this and promptly dialed *22891 to
update the PRL. I have had fantastic battery life since that time... It’s been over 18 hours off the charger and I have
not had a decrease in the battery meter.
I will reiterate that I recommend this phone and when it hits stores, I can see it selling out very quickly.
I may attempt to put up a video review sometime tonight, but since most of mine suck, I may think twice.
|cpw||December 23, 2012, 4:07 am Post #44|
Sweeper, as one of the people on this site who has watched your video reviews, I can tell you that they do not suck.
There are many, many really sucky videos on youtube that are much worse.. Please continue to do your reviews to
inform those of us on this site that are not as techy as some and need the info... Thanks.
Looking forward to your next review.
|ShadowDancer||December 23, 2012, 3:53 pm Post #45|
As another Forum member who has watched your video reviews, I agree whole-heartedly with cpw. They --in no
way, shape, or form --suck . . . And, I have watched my share of crappy YouTube video cell phone reviews, too.
So, pleeze, keep them video reviews a coming!
|Turk||December 24, 2012, 2:52 am Post #46|
* Sweeper ... you better give us a video review, or else! (lol, just kidding) ... yeah man, please make a video for us.
* I always said on here in the past, that any phone video (good or bad) is always better than no video at all..
* Ok, great news (for me I guess) ... I received my Tracfone Samsung s380c on Saturday afternoon from Fed Ex.
* There were no extra goodies in the box (no free food / free gas cards) ... so I don't know what code 1999 was for?
* Oh well, that is ok, for I still got the $10 off my order .... so I got the phone for basically only $40 .. which is great!
* I played around with it just a little bit, I don't have much time right now do to the Holidays, just too busy right now.
* But so far, I really like what I see ... the phone is really nice in my opinion ... a lot nicer than my old Samsung r355c.
* And I loved my old r355c too ... this phone has a bigger/better keypad and a bigger/nicer screen than my old r355c.
* I like how the Micro-SD card slot is on the outside of the phone ... no more removing the battery cover to get to it.
* Speaking of battery covers - the cover for this phone is a very thin plastic - it snaps onto the phone - so be careful.
* I like how the phone comes with a USB cable that attaches to a wall adapter to also be used as the phone charger.
* Sweeper ... do you know if the USB cable can be used for file transfer from a computer to the phone? (I didn't try it yet)
* I agree with Sweeper when he said: "if you want one, you better get one asap" - cause I also feel they'll sell out fast.
* The Samsung r455c was only around for like 3-4 months, both online and in the stores, and it sold out fast as well.
* Anyway, I will report back on any future thoughts and findings of the phone as well ... but so far, I really, really like it.
* I won't be doing a phone transfer until after New Years ... I'm just too busy this week. (New Year = New Phone)
Turkberry 3 is here!
|Otis||December 25, 2012, 11:59 pm Post #47|
I'm not positive but I think the code 1999 that is automatically added refers to the free shipping for orders over 19.99.
I'm looking forward to mine arriving in a day or two... Happy holidays!
|Otis||December 27, 2012, 1:29 am Post #48|
My Samsung s380c showed up this afternoon and it looks like a nice phone. Besides being CDMA, if it solves the
pocket dialing problems I've had with the s390g, that will be great... I did find out that the cable included with the
phone actually is a charge and data cable. It immediately connected to a copy of the Samsung PC suite I have on
my computer. And as a bonus, it worked with our Samsung 390g as well. This is the first TF I remember getting that
included a data cable and the option to charge the phone through a computer USB port, Sweet!
|Turk||January 4, 2013, 2:42 am Post #49|
* Otis ... I thought that to, but code 1999 is also applying to the $10 Samsung s125g which doesn't get free shipping.
* But that's ok man, I don't care what that code means anymore, I'm to busy & excited about playing with my s380c.
* I noticed on 01/01/13 that $10 off code 2012D is no longer working - that's fine by me, I already used it on my phone.
* Ok, I have been very busy over the holidays to get much done with my new Samsung s380c ... that's why I haven't
* been posting anything .... but now things have calmed down, and I have some stuff to report on.
* The USB cable + wall adapter charger combo is a great thing to come with this phone. Otis above said he can hook
* it up to his computer and get it to work to charge the phone and also be used to transfer stuff to the phone.
* It worked on my Mac as well... The USB cable can be used to charge the phone through the computer and can also
* be used to drag and drop stuff to the phone. This is good especially if your computer doesn't have built in bluetooth.
* Part 1
* Today (01/03/13) I went ahead and called Tracfone's CS up in Miami to transfer my number and service days from
* my Motorola ex124g to my new Samsung s380c... I had no more minutes left on my ex124g, so that is why I went
* ahead and finally did the phone transfer.
* I got to a CS Rep fast (no ringing) - I called the number and the CS guy was on the phone before it even rang! (lol)
* He spoke pretty good English, and the phone transfer only took about 15 minutes - but it isn't complete just yet.
* He got the ex124g un-activated, took my phone number, and will have their computers do the rest of the work.
* So, I am in that "wait up to 48 hours" for the port to take place .... or as I like to call it: Tracfone Purgatory. (lol)
* I dialed my cell number tonight, and it is already linked to Verizon's voicemail system, so that's good at least.
* But if it's not up and running by Friday evening, I'm calling them back and have them push it through manually.
* So in the meantime, I went ahead and customized my s380c with my own music/ringtones and wallpaper/pictures.
* But, so far I can't seem to get free games from Umnet.com to work on the phone? .. or even transfer to the phone?
* I had no problems in the past when transferring free games from Umnet.com to my LG 900g and Motorola ex124g?
* But I'll keep trying ... and in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas on this, feel free to let me know ... thanks.
* That's about all I got so far ... I'll report back when my port is complete and to give more updates/info on the phone.
* Sweeper ... did you ever make a video review of this phone yet? or have you decided not to make one? (just asking)
Not Verizon, but Turkizon
|buckaroo50||January 4, 2013, 8:41 pm Post #50|
I ordered a new s380c and have not received it yet but anyway I call customer support and inquired about
transferring my minutes from my double minute phone to the new triple minute phone, and I was informed
that I could only transfer the single minute equivalent ( I have 1500 minutes and would only be able to transfer
about 750 minutes)... Needless to say this did not set quite right with me...
I told the customer service person that the 750 minutes were fine but on a triple minute phone I should get triple
minutes no matter if it were a purchased card or transferred minutes I still paid full price for the 750 minutes and
I should be allowed to get the benefit of double minutes in the case of transferring to a double minute phone and
triple minutes if I transferred to a triple minute phone... anything short of that would be classified as theft by
deprivation and cheating customers...
Well no luck there, so I went to the web site and sent an email and requested that it be brought to the attention of
the CEO... I don't know about the rest of you but unfair practices really tick me off. It doesn't matter when I paid for
the minutes or where I stored them, either by just setting a card aside or having them sit on a phone they are still
paid in full minutes and should be able to be used through a transfer to act the same as a card application.. I can
chew nails over this and I hope that everyone reads this sends tracfone a similar email... If we swamp their email
with this complaint of unfair trade laws then they may take notice and look at what a bad business practice this is...
We pay their salaries and to cheat us is unacceptable...
The whole point is that neither phone is a single minute phone but they want to only give you single minute use on
multi minute phones... NO NO NO... I also told the customer service guy to buy my single minutes back at $0.18 per
minute ($0.18 x 750 = $135.00) then I would just buy a card if that made them feel any better about giving me triple
minutes... that didn't fly...
Don't laugh because by screwing me out of triple minutes on my 750 minutes is 1500 minutes at $0.18 per minute
equals $270.00 - you're darn tooting I am going to complain... As all of us should complain and send an email to
them from their site... I am really rev'd up over this but I will stop chewing now....... cya's
|Otis||January 5, 2013, 11:25 pm Post #51|
Glad you're enjoying the 380c so far, Turk. I'm finding it kind of basic, but its nice that it is CDMA and TMFL.
Haven't activated this one yet, but looking forward to checking out the voice functions when I do.
|Turk||January 9, 2013, 1:51 am Post #52|
* buckaroo50 ... I think you should (and will) get all your minutes transferred over to your new phone...
* Just stay calm until then ... and if you don't get all your minutes, then you can get mad and attack! (lol)
* Otis ... all Tracfones are basic .. the s380c has everything all other Tracfones have, except for the WiFi, of course.
* But this phone is really all I need until an android shows up for Tracfone - I like these type of blackberry style Fones.
* Snoozer ... the keys are small, but not that small, all blackberry type phones have smaller keys, I have no problem using it.
* I agree Tracfone should finally put out android phones ... I've been "beating that drum" for the last year on here..
|Turk||January 9, 2013, 2:46 am Post #53|
* Part 2
* Ok, here is an update on my Samsung s380c phone situation ... and it's starting to get a little annoying..
* Last Thursday morning (01/03/13) I called Tracfone CS up and had them start the "number transfer" to my new s380c.
* It didn't work, so I called them back on Friday night (01/04/13) to have them push it through manually, and they did.
* So Friday night they got my phone up and running, got my number, service days, and the 10 free minutes added.
* So far so good, right? ... Wrong! ... until Saturday (01/04/13) when I tried to add minutes to my phone on their website.
* Their website kept saying that my s380c wasn't activated yet? - so I couldn't add minutes to it - what's up with that!?
* There was nothing wrong with my s380c - I could make & receive calls, I sent & received texts, and set up my voicemail.
* So I called CS back up on Saturday night (01/04/13) to tell them, and they said "yes, they see that in their system".
* So the guy said he would report the problem to their tech dept, so give it 24 hours and see if it is working after that?
* So I waited til Monday (01/07/13) to call them back up, because it wasn't corrected yet in those 24 plus hours.
* On Monday (01/07/13) I called CS back up and a female Rep worked on it for an hour to correct it, but she didn't fix it.
* So she said she would report it as "urgent" to their tech dept to get it fixed asap - so wait "24 hours" and check it again.
* Well, Tracfone's website still isn't letting me add minutes to my phone, even though it's working properly on my end.
* So I'll call them back on Wednesday (01/09/13) to hopefully get this resolved, cause I have no more minutes on my phone!
* I think something may be wrong with the phone serial number? maybe I'll have to have them send me a new phone?
* I don't know what to think, I guess I'll just have to hope Tracfone's CS can get this resolved in the next few days or so.
* So until then, I haven't had much else to report on the phone, since I'm trying to get it working properly first... ugh..
|buckaroo50||January 9, 2013, 10:12 pm Post #54|
Got my s380c yesterday and got things all set up with a new number then decided to transfer my number etc from
my other phone... After not getting confirmation codes online I called and had a cs representative assist... Within a
few minutes things were all good and so I started to try some features...
Made some calls received some calls to and from my land line... all seems ok.
Next sent a message - ok - 0.30 minutes deducted for a message - that is cool.
Took a picture and sent it to my email address - whoa - took about 45 seconds to send and I was charged 7.5 minutes...
Called cs and he had me put a series of numbers in and tested it again - no go - he felt the phone has a glitch and
is sending me a new one..
Now I am cautious and paying more attention and notice that if I call out and the time is over 15 seconds the phone
will charge a full minute - Is this normal?
The problem would be if you call and no one answers within 3-4-5 rings which may take 15-30 seconds and get
charged a full minutes for this...
|tfuser19||January 9, 2013, 10:14 pm Post #55|
I believe we get charged a minimum of one minute even if the call is 1 second.
|buckaroo50||January 10, 2013, 10:01 am Post #56|
Well with today's technology and computer systems I think that Tracfone could do a little better job with charging rates.
Isn't is supposed to be pay as you go and pay for what you use... In this case, Tracfone collects money but doesn't
provide a service for it... You use 15 seconds and they collect for 60 seconds...
I understand that they have a different rate for text where it is a flat rate of 0.30sec per text.
Why do companies find it necessary to mess with their customers, and nickle and dime through sneaky ways.
We provide their salaries, yet they still want to turn the screw and "get one over" on you...
When you think about it $0.15 to $0.25 per minute is a pretty steep price per minutes.
You would think that they would be ok with that and wouldn't need to resort to a minimum charge for a call...
Oh well, it is what it is...
|buckaroo50||January 10, 2013, 10:49 am Post #57|
I like the auto keyboard feature with the s380c... If you forget to lock you keyboard it will auto lock when the screen
goes black... Great feature so that you don't accidentally start to surf the web and loose tons of minutes...
By the way when your keyboard is locked you can still answer an incoming call and hang up the phone... now how
cool is that feature...
I was concerned with the usability of the keyboard - my hands are pretty good size (I can palm a basketball), but
even tho' it isn't computer size I can still use it with ease... Speed dialing and voice dialing are great feature too,
and makes using the phone less of a chore and more fun... Probably not able to easily use the keyboard without
my glasses but at least it won't leave me wanting to skip the phone across a large body of water like a flat rock...
Other than the glitch of being charged 7.5 minutes to send a picture via message (cs feels that it is a defective phone
and is sending me a new replacement)... I'm pretty much happy with the phone.
Is this a major upgrade to my lg231c flip phone... it has a little better camera, supports java, mp3 player (none of these
were important to me)... what I gained was triple minutes and it is a little easier to do text (which I don't do much of)...
Where I lost - smaller dialing pad, but speed dial and voice dial ease the task.
Is it worth $50, I would probably say yes but there are less expensive phones that may also please you and fill your
needs... If you don't already have a Tracfone then the ya go for it. If you already have a Tracfone and want to upgrade
then not such a strong yes... If you are a gadget freak and just plain out right want one then sure go for it, but don't
expect the world to change... Does the triple minutes and minor improvements justify the price, that is hard to say it
will take a ton of extra minutes to pay back $50.
Why did I choose to upgrade - because I wanted to, and the triple minutes helped to offset the expense to do the
upgrade... Also, I used BigCrumbs for a $10.50 discount/rebate.. When I get bored with the phone I can pop it on
ebay and reactivate my LG 231c flip phone that pulls very strong signals and has always been ultra reliable and
great battery life...
I have a Samsung android with a slide out qwerty and if Tracfone offered an android - It would not be for me.. I like
the android for wifi and messing around but don't think I would want one as a phone - battery life is extremely short
because of the multi-tasking operating system. The touch screen is way too sensitive - you can't even handle it with
out something starting up and jumping out on the screen, and believe it or not, even with my big hands the slide out
keyboard is awkward to use... The smaller LG 505c might be ok, but not $90 worth of ok. If they had the LG 840 that
could utilize the Verizon CDMA that would be a consideration, however, I think that an LG 800g with wifi would be
better because the screen would not be so sensitive an prone to flying around like a mad dog at the slightest touch...
Well for what it is worth..
I ain't too smart but I can lift heavy things...
Just remember that you can learn a lot from a dummy...
And did you know that the word "vegetarian" is an old Indian word that means - sucks at hunting..
SALTS.. (Smiles A Little, Then Stops)... lol
|annepani||January 10, 2013, 11:05 am Post #58|
Don't bother letting them send you a replacement phone. The new one will charge the same high rates.
That is the way all the new Tracfones models offered since June 2012 are programmed to charge.
A picture message (MMS) costs approximately 5 - 15 times as much to send as the earlier phones.
That is because the newer phones charge by the byte transmitted, not by time used.
I have had both my S425 and S390 replaced and the replacement phones charge the same higher rates.
All recently issued phones do, including the LG 840g.
You can tell by looking at parameter 106.
for the older cheaper rates, parameter 106 is BW=T R=0.50
for the newer higher rates, parameter 106 is BW=ACT R=1.50
Don't bother letting them send you a replacement phone. You are just letting them waste your time.
|buckaroo50||January 10, 2013, 1:31 pm Post #59|
A couple things - yes my 106 parameter is 1.50 and I did test the phone and sent a smaller picture and it did
charge less... however, I think that 7.50 minutes for a 1.3mpx picture is excessively high as it only took about
45 seconds or less to actually send. I mean it is not like we are doing 3g/4g speed - cripes it is slow as dial-up...
I can't stop the shipment it was shipped out yesterday, so I will wait and if the replacement does the same then
I will ask them if they can change parameter 106 to be 0.50 - if they won't or can't then I just won't send pictures
or I will bluetooth them to a different phone or load them into a computer and send them wifi...
I wish that Tracfone would have made this phone wifi - life would be so much easier and enjoyable... lol
It must be with Verizon because T-mobil/AT&T (GSM) phones from Tracfone do offer wifi in some models...
|tfuser19||January 10, 2013, 1:48 pm Post #60|
New Tracfones like the S390G, LG 840G, and S380C charge by the amount of data you're sending:
1.5 units / 100 KB = 1 unit / 66.667 KB
for web browsing, plus some extra overhead for SMS and MMS messages.
We've called Tracfone, and this issue just goes into a black hole.. The told me they were escalating it to a high
level and I never got resolution after sending multiple inquires, expect that they were still looking into it. They'll
offer to sent you a new phone, and that won't make any difference as the charging rate. Nor will they adjust your
As you stated, use Bluetooth, WiFi (sorry it's not on the S380C), or USB to get around this.
|buckaroo50||January 10, 2013, 2:25 pm Post #61|
Latest news about my s380c... I called cs again and he had me check a few things in code entry mode that
checked ok according to him... then he had me take a 1.3 mpx picture and send it two times to my email...
each time it went perfectly taking about 2.2 minutes to send and that is what it deducted plus 1 minutes for
the connection which totaled 3.2 minutes which is a lot better than the 7.5 + 1 minute it was taking to send
the same picture yesterday... I can live with 1 minute to connect to the web for sending to email, and to be
charged actual time at 1:1 ratio... I can live with that...
So I guess how it works is that you are charged to send or receive a picture message is 1 minutes plus the
time it takes to send/receive...
To send and receive a text message up to 160 characters it charges 0.30 minutes to send/receive with not
1 minute flat rate connect fee as with pictures... That is pretty cool...
So bluetooth send them to my wifi android tablet and then email them from there... lol
I am so glad that I can lift heavy things... SALTS...
|tfuser19||January 10, 2013, 3:06 pm Post #62|
You say you sent the same exact picture via email and SMS and got charged two different amounts?
Can you confirm if the pictures that were received in both cases were the same size as the original picture sent?
|buckaroo50||January 10, 2013, 6:34 pm Post #63|
I took a 1.3 mpx picture with the phone yesterday and sent it to my email that recorded 1 minute connect and
7.5 minutes to transfer... not sure of the exact time it too because I didn't time it but it seemed pretty short.
Today I took another 1.3 mpx picture with the phone and sent it twice both recorded 1 minutes connect and
2.24 and 2.31 minutes to transfer...
Today I made note of the size of the file and it was 1.57 kb... you can assume that you are charged at a rate of
1.5X the size but the same file charged two different times and that is what I was charged was by time first time
it took 2.24 minutes and second time it took 2.31 minutes to complete, so if they charged 1.5X the size I would
have been charged exactly the same for both transfers which would have been 2.355... Unless the computing
made a multiplication error I would venture to favor that I was charged by time and it just plain took a little longer
the second time by 0.07 seconds to send the same file...
Now I don't know how big the picture was yesterday as compared to the 157 kb of todays picture but I would
venture to say that they were about the same size since they were taken from the same phone and certainly
did not take 7.5 minutes to send but actually seemed shorter yesterday even tho' I didn't time it. At 7.5 minutes
I would have thought something locked up and terminated the transfer probably somewhere around 4-5 minutes...
I'm not entirely happy about the 1 minute connect fee but other than that I feel that I am now only being charged for
what I use and actually feel pretty good and know not to sit down and send dozens of pictures but rather transfer
them to a more practical device and send them wifi... but, heck in a desperate situation it is at least livable and won't
get me in a tizzy chewing nails over it if I do decide to use the phone to send pictures or other media... I certainly will
think twice about sending large media files with the phone...
It is what it is...
And remember, you can learn a lot from a dummy...
|buckaroo50||January 10, 2013, 6:45 pm Post #64|
I forgot to mention that yesterday I sent the same picture 3 different times and got 1 minute connect fee plus a
different charge each time it was sent for the time - once was 7.53, 7.45 and I think 7.37 or close, and I felt that
yesterday it seemed like it only took a few seconds - less than a minute but I guess I may have been wrong based
on how long it took today - both being over 2 minutes and at that I was getting anxious and ready to terminate
but the cs said to keep it going until finish because he was going to give me minutes back which he did do...
I was charged out about 7 minutes for both and he gave me 10 minutes back -- If I do the same for the next 30
days I will be up 90 minutes on Tracfone - hahaha
I am so blessed to be able to lift heavy things...
|buckaroo50||January 10, 2013, 7:23 pm Post #65|
tfuser19, maybe they are charging buy size... I just boosted the camera to superfine instead of normal where it
uses less compression and the file size ended up to be 338 and I sent it.... It took 6 minutes and 40 seconds to
By charging on time that would be 6.66 minutes + 1 minutes connect total 7.66 charge out...
By size you would have 338x1.5 = 507 +1 minute connect total 6.7 charge out...
Actual ended up to be 4.8 +1 minute connect total charge out 5.8 minutes - go figure....
I can't do this, I am going outside and stand around in the cold, If anyone wants to know where I am tell them I
|tfuser19||January 10, 2013, 9:01 pm Post #66|
buckaroo50.... Well, either build a bonfire or get inside an warm up .
You need a new calculator: [338 kb]/[66.67kb / unit] + 1 unit MMS cover charge = 6.07 units (not 6.7 units) vs
your charged 5.8 units.
I don't know how to explain that difference between 6.07 and 5.8, but over them summer I got this with my
S390G when I did a controlled test:
1.0 unit MMS cover charge
5.19 units for MMS message consisting of image: 346 kb/66.67 kb/unit
6.19 units total for this MMS message
With my S390G, I can set the max size for an outgoing MMS message (30, 60, 300, or 600 KB).
I wonder if your phone supports doing that?
The only fair thing is for Tracfone to do is charge by the amount of data being sent (which they have now started
doing - though we think the charge rate is too high).
My crappy LG 800G used to charge by the amount of time the browser was open, and it was on the Edge (slug)
network. If you're on a slow network, you don't want to be penalized for a longer connect time and you and I don't
want to subsidize data hogs.
|buckaroo50||January 11, 2013, 11:51 am Post #67|
I have not found anyplace in the s380c to limit the size of the mms...
I can't do math - but I can lift heavy things...
Cripes, I can't even type... I meant to type "If anyone wants to know where I am tell them I am out-standing" ...
somehow that came out to be outside-standing...
I can't do this, I am going back outside and stand around in the cold and maybe get it right this time...
So if anyone inquires about me - tell them I am out-standing...
(Well there I got it right and I can still lift heavy things)... bahaha
|Turk||January 12, 2013, 2:25 am Post #68|
* Just to throw my 2 cents into some of the discussions from the different posts up above...
* Yes, all the new Tracfones (including this one) are now charging more for Data use and MMS'ing, (sending pics).
* I know this phone isn't 3G, but was hoping it would have charged the old Data fees like the 501c, 505c, and r455c.
* But it's not, and that's ok with me I guess, I hardly ever send pictures to people and I hardly ever use the Browser.
* I do more talking and texting ... so as long as SMS's are still cheap, I am "somewhat ok" with the new Data rates.
* GSM Tracfones don't charge airtime when making a call as long as no one answers on the other end...
- is someone answers, or an answering machine comes on, you start getting charged airtime.
- as soon a call is connected, any calls lasting over 1 second is charged 1 whole minute. (same with CDMA)
* CDMA Tracfones give you a 15 second grace period before they start charging you airtime off your phone...
- so if no one answers on the other end, you can still get charged a minute after 15 seconds are up...
- so what some people do (including me) is hang up at 14 seconds and try again -- repeat as necessary. (lol)
- but, as soon as someone on the other end answers, or an answering machine comes on, you start getting charged.
Samsung s380c update:
* I couldn't add free games on this phone from sites like Umnet.com, etc - the phone keeps saying "file not supported".
* So if you want games, I guess you have to buy them from Tracfone - I think this was the same for the 501c, 505c, r455c.
* The call quality and sound/speaker qualities are pretty good, as expected -- MP3 player is also good and clear.
* Signal reception is great as expected, Verizon is awesome around here, mostly all bars all the time, for me atleast.
* I took a few pictures with the phone that I will show on here one day - good picture quality for a 1.3mp camera.
* All in all, so far so good about the phone itself - very much similar to my Samsung r355c I had last year for Net10.
* I'll report back with more of my reviews, info and stuff, as time goes by ... but so far, people who have it seem to like it.
* PS: yes, I agree that if this phone would of had WiFi, that would of been the bomb! .... Wooooooooo!
|Turk||January 12, 2013, 2:27 am Post #69|
* Part 3 ... 10 days and counting...
* As far as my phone transfer dilemma and adding minutes dilemma has been going ... it isn't going very well ... gosh...
* I called CS up on Wednesday (01/09) - they tried for 30 minutes to get my phone working right - but no such luck...
* I called them today again (01/11) -- the CS guy tried very hard for an hour -- but with no such luck.
* They keep saying my phone number is being block in their system ... an "error" in their system they keep saying.
* The Miami CS guy today spoke great English, and explained to me what's going on with my phone number, etc.
* He said that Tracfone has two systems - one for activation - and one for using their website for adding minutes.
* He said that the one system has my phone listed as activated - the website system has my number as un-activated.
* He said they can't get the website system to accept the other system with my phone number, to pair the two up?
* He tried and tried and tried, and their website system just won't accept their other system that has my phone number.
* He activated & de-activated my phone 3 times with other new phone numbers first to see if the phone was atleast ok.
* The phone was working properly with the new phone numbers -- then he tried my original number again -- no go.
* He said if I took a new phone number, everything would be fine then .... but I said I'll give it a few more days.
* So he made a report to have their computer system tech guys to work on it, and to call back on Tuesday and go from there.
* So far, 10 days, 6 calls, and about 4 total hours on the phone with them, and I am getting tired of all of this - gee wiz...
* I'm about to just give up and take a new cell number and be done with it (even though I had my number for the last 3 years).
|tfuser19||January 12, 2013, 8:10 pm Post #70|
* What is the equivalent to 3G network called that CDMA phones like the S380C use?
* Does the S380C run java? If so, as an exercise, you can try downloading the JAD and JAR for UC Browser 8.8 to
your PC from: http://www.ucweb.com/English/UCbrowser/platform.html?platform=java using the second set of links
"Signed version for Java [Jar][436KB]" (note: there are two links: JAD and JAR .
* Then copy both files to your phone's Other folder.
* From the phone, click on the JAD to install the signed app. Doing this works on my S390G - make sure both files
are in the same folder.
* I run this browser on my Samsung S390G, but if you don't want to, then just try installing it as an exercise to show
yourself that you can install apps without using Tracfone's apps page. You can immediately delete it.. but then
you'll be missing out on a very cool, fast mobile browser.
* Also, if you MMS any pictures, I'd like to know the size of the image and how much the S380C charged you, so I
can get another data point to compare rates between Tracfone 3G and CDMA.
* I hope they get your phone number straight so you can keep it.
* Maybe you can try some of the above when you take a break from being outside-standing in the cold and doing
all that heavy lifting .
|buckaroo50||January 12, 2013, 8:36 pm Post #71|
I did install and run Opera but I did not see much if any increase in speed and when I went to "youtube" and
when I tried to watch a video it stopped running and terminated, so I uninstalled it because I don't really get
too excited over web access at the rate the clock clicks... wifi would be awesome...
Yesterday I ordered a new Samsung s390g and it should be here Tuesday...
According to Tracfone site when I put my zip code in it only shows 3 available cdma phones...
And a town 5 miles to the west don't show any cdma phones under their zip codes...
My neighbors wife and daughter work for t-mobile so I went next door and ask him about reception in our town
using t-mobile towers he showed me on his phone that he had 4 bars of signal (same as my cdma verizon)...
Then I asked him about coverage further north and he said that he has been about 20 miles north and still had
pretty good coverage... You have to understand where I live in Maine, my town is the last of civilization as we
know it --- you don't want to get lost north of my town.. Unless you have good survival skills you may never be
seen again - hahaha...
I figure under the family plan I can keep both phones going for $15 per month..
Once I decide which one servers me best, I can pop the other on ebay and get some money back..
Either phone will do ok close to larger towns and cities but I am sometimes 20 miles back in the woods with
2 GPS', map, compass, cell phone, and 2 meter hand held, two way radio...
Anyway I decide not to be out-standing any longer and come in out of the cold - I do know that much, to come
in out of the cold, I can still lift heavy things...
Remember, you can learn a lot from a dummy... hahaha
|tfuser19||January 12, 2013, 8:48 pm Post #72|
* Congrats! Where'd you buy the S390G from?
* I wonder if you'll get a AT&T sim card or a T-Mobile sim card in it? Hopefully it will work well for you.
* When I click on watch video from Youtube with UC browser, it automatically opens up the native browser
to play the video, because UC does not support watching within itself - but it's nice that it knows what to do.
* I'll see you over at the S390G Thread when your new phone comes in.
|buckaroo50||January 12, 2013, 9:49 pm Post #73|
I got it on ebay for $29.99 free delivery...
Pretty reliable seller..
|Otis||January 14, 2013, 11:57 pm Post #74|
I've been noticing that with the newer tracfones, even with a 'call' lasting .1 sec, a full minute is charged.
That, and the new increased data charges seem to be a direct result of the new TMFL benefit. TF gives
something but has the handsets burn more minutes in return. Seems like I've even had a 1 min. charge
on one of the new TMFL handsets when the connection was not made, just ringing on the other end, but
I need to check that out some more.
I did get my s380c activated the other night. Did it all on the website and transferred the # and some time from
an older LG200c. Went smoothly, but I noticed that even when site told me the phone was active, (it displayed
the resources from the old phone and had the number transferred), it wasn't actually working until I made the
call to Verizon to activate and update the PRL. Then it was fine.
Turk; What I was referring to when I said this phone seems pretty basic, is compared to the recent GSM models -
the 390 and 840. And its mostly the menu optiions I was talking about. I do really like the voice announce feature
that I had on my older LG 290c. But yes, all TF's are basic when compared to iPhones and Androids, for certain.
|Turk||January 17, 2013, 2:59 am Post #75|
* That must be with the latest GSM Tracfones then, cause the older GSM models didn't start charging you until
* someone answered on the other end.
* However, all CDMA Tracfones will start to charge you after 15 seconds are up, even if no one answers on the
* other end... same goes for the Samsung s380c, it still acts that way, the old way... at least mine does.
* Otis .... yeah man, no worries, I know that's what you meant ... that's why I said in my Post #53 above that
* "all Tracfones are basic and all pretty much have the same stuff, except for the Wifi, of course."
* Part 4, the grand finale...
* I called Tracfone CS back up today at Miami HQ, to see if they could finally get my phone number to work properly.
* If they couldn't this time (again) -- I was just gonna get a new phone number and be done with it...
* I got a nice, American, English speaking (lol), smart lady rep ... and after 20 minutes of trial and error, she finally
* got my number working properly on my phone and on Tracfone's website! .... Hallelujah!
* So, all this simple phone transfer took was: 2 weeks, 8 calls to CS, and about 5 total hours of phone time / my time.
* So it's all over, and I am relieved & exhausted ... I hope I don't have to go through something likes this ever gain.
* Ps: the nice lady gave me 50 free minutes for all the hassle - that's not much - but I'll take it - just happy to have my number.
* So now I can start doing different little tests on my phone and report back with my findings, experiences, and thoughts.
* I'll probably just do an overall review of the phone (like I do with all my new phones) - and add some pictures, etc.
Turkberry 3 is finally here!
|Otis||January 19, 2013, 11:30 pm Post #76|
Hey Turk, good luck exploring the new phone.
If you or anyone else finds a way to decrease the time this phone's screen stays 'on', I'd appreciate the info. I've got
both the screen and keyboard times on set for 10 sec, but the screen seems to want to stay lit for more like 50 sec.
Thanks ..... Otis
|Turk||January 20, 2013, 1:59 am Post #77|
* Otis ... I also had the Samsung r355c for Net10 last year, the original/first version of this phone, and it did the same thing.
* Both the Samsung r355c and Samsung s380c do the same thing when it comes to trying to turn down the backlight...
- I wonder if the Samsung r455c or Samsung s390g also does this?
* No matter what level you put the backlight on for (10, 20, 30, 60 seconds) it only dims after that time is up.
* Then it will stay dim for about 1 minute before the screen goes completely black (I have mine set on 10 seconds also).
* I don't like that either ... but it is what it is ... but I have grown use to it though from having the Samsung r355c first.
Turkberry 3 is Alive!
|Turk||January 20, 2013, 2:00 am Post #78|
Samsung s380c Games:
* I added a 1 year card to my phone yesterday, expecting to get 1450 minutes (400+400+400+250bonus = 1450 minutes).
* But I ended up getting 1550 minutes ... so Tracfone's website ended up giving me an extra 100 minutes for free!
* I was planning on buying some phone games from Tracfone anyway, so this extra 100 free minutes paid for them.
* I bought 4 games from Tracfone from their buy 1 get 1 free section ... so it ended up costing me 100 minutes.
* There are 16 games available for this phone on Tracfone's browser ... they each cost 50 minutes or $5.00.
* But there is a section where some of the games are buy 1 get 1 free ... so I bought 2 games and got 2 free (100 minutes).
* There were only 4 games I cared for anyway, so I bought them: Uno, Racing game, Pool game, Block Breaker 3.
* They look good and play well on the phone ... so now I have some games to play if I'm waiting somewhere, bored. (lol)
Phone Browser Testing:
* The Browser's new data rates suck big time ... I was charged 31 minutes for being on the browser 11 minutes real time.
* The Browser isn't 3G, but it does seem to be a bit faster than my older CDMA phone browsers (r355c and 290g).
* However, I don't plan on using the browser that much at all, if ever, so this won't be much of a problem for me.
* tfuser19 .... I haven't sent any pictures yet to test those rates ... but after that last test, I don't know if I want to! (LOL)
* You know what folks, I don't think the new rates have anything to do with 3G, I think it's just Tracfone's new Data rates?
More Turkberry 3 stuff is on the way...
|tfuser19||January 20, 2013, 8:16 am Post #79|
* Did you try testing installing an app by dnldg JAD/JAR files, then clicking on JAD from filemanager?
* On my S390G, keyboard backlight off after 5 sec and display off after 15 sec, but set for 10/30 secs.
|Turk||January 24, 2013, 2:24 am Post #80|
* tfuser19 .... these CDMA Tracfones also run on G speed ... I think it is around like 2.5G ... something like that.
* Also talked a little about it here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/4465222/1/
* I couldn't add the UC browser to my phone, It wouldn't support it through a transfer, there is no folder to put it in.
* You may be able to download it using the native browser, that's how you're able to get Opera Mini on this phone.
* But that's ok, I don't use the browser that much at all, if ever, so Opera Mini or UC browser doesn't really interest me.
* GSM Tracfones give you more freedom to add stuff or free stuff to them - CMDA Tracfones seem to lock stuff down.
* I didn't try sending any pics yet to test the data prices on that, but Sweeper mentioned above in Post #37 this...
* Anyway, that's all I got for now ... so tfuser19, thanks for all the info about the UC browser, I appreciate it.
* cpw .... I spotted it also about 3 weeks ago ... I have some info and pics posted in the Straight Talk forum if interested.
Turkberry 3 is runnin' wild!
|cpw||January 24, 2013, 5:36 pm Post #81|
Thanks Turk, I'm not on ST but I thought some people might want to know. I guess that's why I missed your post
because I haven't looked at the ST section before since I'm on TF. Btw, hope you are enjoying your new phone.
|Turk||January 27, 2013, 1:23 am Post #82|
* I see over on Net10.com that this phone (the Net10 version) is finally now for sale -- price is $50 also.
* Net10 Website: http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/net10/Start.do?
* Also, if anyone is looking for gel skins or cases for this phone ... eBay and Amazon sell a bunch of them.
* Use Samsung Freeform 3 as the search word, since it's the same phone, and there are plenty of case/skin choices.
* I bought a black silicone gel skin for my s380c off of Amazon for about $3.80 ... I always buy skins for all my Fones.
* I was on my native phone browser again the other night, checking out the different sites to see if they all work, they did.
* I was on the browser about 10 minutes (real time) and was charge about 50 minutes this time around! (Ouch!)
* Man, these new Data rates are something else, glad I don't plan on using the browser anymore, unless I have to.
* tfuser19 .... ok brother, I sent a phone picture to a friend of mine, to show him all the snow we got lately here is PA.
* The picture was taken by my phone, it was 475KB in size ... and it cost me 8.12 total minutes to send it.
* The phone charged a 1 minute access fee and 7.12 minutes for the picture = 8.12 total minutes.
* Crap, if this was the old data rates, it would only charge 1.5 minutes for any size picture! (I miss the old days) (LOL)
|tfuser19||January 27, 2013, 10:03 pm Post #83|
Thanks for the data point on the MMS message... Is the S380C Java, Brew, or what?
Were you able to load any apps onto the S380C without going thru the Tracfone website and browser?
The data rate formula we came up with for the S390G is:
so for a MMS that becomes
Units charged = 1 + message size [KB] / 66.6667 KB/unit.
It appears that data rate applies to the S380C, based your 475 KB picture message:
1 + 475/66.6667 = 1 + 7.12 = 8.12 units - exactly what you got charged.
Opera Mini and UC Browser compress the data between the internet servers and phone, so you can save
a lot of units by doing internet browsing with those browsers. Those browsers also support turning graphics
off, which chews up a lot of bandwidth, so I often turn off graphics when browsing.
If you install one of those browsers, then you can see how much data you're saving by loading a page with
the native browser, then comparing it to how much you get charged with UC or Opera Mini.
You must have been surfing some graphic intensive sites during that 10 minutes were you got charged 50 units -
you transferred 3.33 MB of data during that period according to my calculations. Did you use the native browser?
Today I used the browser to do some price comparisons on Amazon using UC Browser with graphics mostly off
(I turned it on for a bit), and got charged less than 2 units during a period of about 5 minutes.
If we think about it, being charged according to the amount of data being sent/received is fair, however, that rate
is a bit too high IMHO.
|Turk||January 30, 2013, 1:24 am Post #84|
* tfuser19 .... the s380c has Java ... this was also mentioned above by Sweeper and buckaroo50 in their posts.
* The phone comes pre-loaded with the standard: Email, Facebook, and MySpace app...
* I don't use Apps, so I don't don't know if you can download any without using the phone browser, I don't think so...
* Thanks for figuring out all that Data stuff dealing with sending MMS's and using the browser, now I know the rates.
* I was using my native browser when I was on my phone going from site to site ... so yes, I know it adds up more
* if you go to sites with more graphics, etc ... I remember you all talking about that in the LG 840g phone topic.
* I don't plan on using the browser that much, if ever, anymore... so I'm not too worried about adding other browsers.
* But maybe one day, if I'm bored, I may try downloading the Opera Mini/UC browser browsers just to check them out.
* Other Info: when you turn off the s380c, it will vibrate, letting you know it's turning off for good, similar to some androids.
* I don't know if any of the other new Tracfones do that or not ... but I think it's a cool feature to have... just saying.
|ShadowDancer||January 30, 2013, 2:51 am Post #85|
* Other Info: when you turn off the s380c, it will vibrate, letting you know it's turning off for good, similar to some androids.
* I don't know if any of the other new Tracfones do that or not ... but I think it's a cool feature to have... just saying.
I agree, Turk. The shut-down vibrate is a nice feature. Both my Samsung R455C and my Galaxy Player vibrate
when they shut down, too, so perhaps it's a distinctive feature of Samsung units --that is, until Apple tries to sue
over another patent violation! . . .
|buckaroo50||January 30, 2013, 7:29 pm Post #86|
I have a s390g and also a s380c... and for text messages, I prefer the way that the s380c works... while in alpha
mode, if you need the alternate number or symbol, you need only just press and hold that key, different from the
s390g, which would give the upper case for that same key.
|tfuser19||January 30, 2013, 9:26 pm Post #87|
buckaroo50 ... Thanks, you just taught me a new trick.
As long as I've had my S390G, I did not know that holding down an alpha key makes it go upper case.
..... so this only works with native apps on S390G.
|Charge On||January 31, 2013, 4:16 pm Post #88|
The R455C does it, and also I know the Straight Talk R451C does it as well.
|tfuser19||February 19, 2013, 10:09 pm Post #89|
Is the Turkberry III flawed with no audio notification for voicemail, sms, or mms ?
Link is for Straight Talk version, so wondering if it applies to the Tracfone S380C too?
More complaints here.
Kinda' hard to believe Samsung would make such a boo boo.
|Turk||February 21, 2013, 2:44 am Post #90|
* tfuser19 ... my Samsung s380c (the World Famous Turkberry 3) has no problems with audio notifications what-so-ever.
* They all work fine... and actually, I have no problems with anything so far on my s380c, everything works great.
* With any Trac/Net10/ST phone, there is gonna be some glitches, here and there, with some phones along the way.
* All you can do is hope you are not one of those people who end up with a faulty phone! (lol), it's a crapshoot.
|Turk||February 26, 2013, 1:38 am Post #91|
* I see over on eBay that phone seller shopcelldeals has this phone for sale along with some combo specials as well.
* Phone sold by itself: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Samsung-S380C-with-Triple-Minutes-for-Tracfone
* Phone + 200 min card: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Samsung-S380C-with-600-Minutes-and-Triple
* Phone + 1 Year card: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Samsung-S380C-with-1200-Minutes-and-Triple
* It's also for sale on QVC.com for $40 -- includes Phone + 600 minutes + car charger + case.
* All good deals no matter which one you pick ... so if you're thinking about getting this phone, here's some deals.
|Turk||March 7, 2013, 1:27 am Post #92|
* mattshortridge ... hi ... I have no idea why your phone is having problems playing some songs, that seems odd to me.
* I have about 200 songs on my micro sd card and they all play fine on my s380c, I even tried them all out just to see.
* I don't have an answer for you, but here is some suggestions that maybe you could try out and see if they work?
* Try formatting your micro sd card first on your s380c, then download the songs and see if that helps any?
* (Just remember, formatting the card will erase everything on the card, so take everything off the card first.)
* Or, download the songs onto the sd card other ways other than through the phone itself, like on a sd card reader?
* Anyway, that's all I got, sorry... hope things work out for you, and let us know if you find a solution, thanks..
|Turk||June 16, 2013, 1:00 am Post #93|
* I was at one of my many Walmart stores today, and look what finally showed up "in stores" for the first time ever...
* The Net10 Samsung s380c -- price is $50 -- the same price it sells for on Net10's website.
* Anyway, I had my World Famous Turkberry 3 (s380c) on me -- so I decided to take a few quick pictures of it.
Pictures provided by Turk and his Turkberry 3
|ShadowDancer||October 26, 2013, 12:02 pm Post #94|
ShopCellDeals is selling a manufacturer's refurbished Samsung S380C with TMFL on eBay for just $9.99.
Here is the link:
I don't know how long his sale will last as he has already sold 58 phones, and his webpage only states that he
has more than 10 still available for sale.
|gmannix||December 30, 2013, 9:27 pm Post #95|
Can any one confirm that the s380c uses voice dialing? It says so on the box, but I'd like to be sure before buying one.
|Turk||December 30, 2013, 9:45 pm Post #96|
* gmannix .... I have the s380c, and yes it has voice dialing, and other types of voice commands as well.
* If you get the phone, these commands will be listed in the menu under: Tools --> then under Voice SVC.
* I don't know how well it works, for I never used this feature, but I've seen other people across the internet say it works well.
|gmannix||February 3, 2014, 9:54 pm Post #97|
Voice dialing works like a charm!! Input your contact list, press and hold"O" , fone asks for a command, you say 'call turk'
and it dials for you. Love it!!
I gotta thank Turk and all his members here for all the help they've given me in the past. Hope this tip helps someone else.
|Tarkio101||February 3, 2014, 10:36 pm Post #98|
||Does it only call Turk or can call others as well?|
|Turk||February 5, 2014, 11:15 pm Post #99|
* gmannix .... glad it all worked out for you ... hope you like your new s380c ... I have enjoyed using mine for the last year.
* Just to set the record straight everyone, gmannix didn't really call me, that was just an example they were using.
* For only two people in the world have my cell phone number: my girlfriend, and my mistress .... heck, not even my
* wife has my number! ... Woooooooo! (LOL) ... ahhhh, marriage jokes, gotta love 'em.
* By the way, if anyone is interested in where I get my marriage jokes from, well, I get them from DoctorM's "Big Book
* of Marriage Jokes" that he sells online..
Forget about L.L. Cool J ... Ladies Love Cool Turk
|Charge On||February 8, 2014, 3:58 pm Post #100|
||I've got one for sale! .. Any bids on it?|
|1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)|
|Go to Next Page|
|« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Basic Phone Forum · Next Topic »|