Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... What grade would you give Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk's customer service?
A
B
C
D
F
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Carrier Identified on SIM Cards?
Topic Started: April 24, 2011, 5:12 pm (1,489 Views)
Snoozer

I thought I saw it in here before, but could someone tell me how to identify a G phone SIM Card AT&T from a
T-Mobile one? .... I have been searching for topics of Tracfone lists, but cant find it .... Thanks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

awweeks:

Check the SIM card number and if it starts with 890126 then it is on T-Mobile’s network, if the SIM card number
starts with 890141 then you’re on AT&T’s network .... Hope that helps.

Here's a real good article on that issue that I bookmarked for reference: http://Tracfone-&-Net10-Sim-card-information

sdvjkchuiehn

There are three types of SIM cards currently being used by TracFone and NET10 depending on the Zip Code you
will be using the phone in the most. SIM cards with a part number ending in C4 are on the AT&T/Cingular network,
cards ending in T5 are on the T-Mobile network, and cards ending in D6 are on the Dobson network, which was
recently acquired by AT&T.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_take_your_old_net10_sim

sdvjkchuiehn

Just a FYI for those who are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area about poor service on AT&T (Net10).

We just went through Net10 phone upgrade he** and thought others might like to avoid the problems we encountered.

We live in the NW corner of Dallas County (Zip 75019).

Our original Net10 phones were LG 600g and we had great service in our home, near or home and everywhere we
needed to make calls.

We then decided to upgrade to a new Motorola W408g that had a better camera, FM radio and MP3 player.
We received the phone and activated it (transferring the phone number, minutes and days). As a bonus we received
10 more minutes and 60 extra days on activation... The phone also came with a 300 minute/60 day card (all for $30)
and a great deal.

Our problems then started. We had no signal in our home, near our home or at other important areas. Doing research
we found out our older LG 600g phones were on the T-Mobile (Net10) network (SIM T5) whereas our new phone was
on the AT&T (Net10) network (SIM C4).

In the same W408g phone the AT&T (Net10) network (SIM C4) has no signal bars whereas the T-Mobile (Net10)
network (SIM T5) has the full 5 signal bars.

The solution was to buy another W408g (which again came with a AT&T (SIM C4) and immediately contact Net10 and
get them to send out a replacement T5 SIM (T-Mobile). Note that you will have to get a new phone number as for some
unknown reason when a number is transferred to the AT&T network it can no longer be transferred off of it. And yes this
problem happened to us twice. Do not believe Net10 for no matter how much Net10 promises it can not be transferred
and if you try all that will result is a phone that will not activate and then having another T5 SIM card to be sent.

Here is the AT&T coverage map for our area: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?

Note that AT&T states the coverage is Good where it really is "No Service Available" or at best poor.

For comparison here is the T-Mobile coverage map: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

In the same location T-Mobile shows Excellent coverage and it is excellent at 5-bars unlike AT&T's 0-bars good coverage.

Now that we are back on T-Mobile (Net10) network (SIM T5) we are very happy with our service.

annepani

sdvjkchuiehn
July 16, 2012, 6:22 pm
There are three types of SIM cards currently being used by TracFone and NET10 depending on the Zip Code you
will be using the phone in the most. SIM cards with a part number ending in C4 are on the AT&T/Cingular network,
cards ending in T5 are on the T-Mobile network, and cards ending in D6 are on the Dobson network, which was
recently acquired by AT&T.
What are the first 6 digits of a Dobson SIM card?

890141 is ATT
890126 is T-Mobile

What is Dobson?

Thanks

episodic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobson_Cellular

annepani

episodic
July 16, 2012, 11:40 pm
That link is just for general business info about Dobson. It doesn't have any info about the format of a Dobson sim card.
Pretty useless.

episodic

www.ehow.com/list_7606964_types-cards-lg-trac-phones.html

The answer is in there. Ends in D6.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

episodic,
Funny, I guess I read the article differently, it sounds like they had D6 at one time but they are no longer out there.
Is the information in this thread saying they're still out there?

Copied from the article you referenced:

"D6 -- SIM cards ending in the digits D6 are now obsolete; they were linked to the Dobson network, which has
long been absorbed by AT&T."

So, back to annepani's question, anyone know what the first six numbers were when they used Dobson before
they were absorbed into AT&T? ... Just wondering.

annepani

BobbyLee
July 18, 2012, 12:38 am
episodic,
Funny, I guess I read the article differently, it sounds like they had D6 at one time but they are no longer out there.
Is the information in this thread saying they're still out there? Copied from the article you referenced:
"D6 -- SIM cards ending in the digits D6 are now obsolete; they were linked to the Dobson network, which has long
been absorbed by AT&T."

So, back to annepani's question, anyone know what the first six numbers were when they used Dobson before they
were absorbed into AT&T? ... Just wondering.
Followed some links, clicked on this and that, and uncovered the following.

The Dobson D6 SIM card began with 890156. It actually was Alaska/Dobson known as Cellular One and was
absorbed by ATT around 2007.

That isn't as old as it may sound. The beloved Motorola W376 was already popular in 2006 and many of them
are still in use. I had mine until 2009.

It is entirely possible that there are W376g's and other phones out there in a closet or drawer somwhere, lying
dormant with a Dobson SIM in it.. And somebody might just decide to get it out, power it up and give it a try.
Or maybe thinking of it as a backup phone (Surprise! Your carrier has evaporated).

So that's the story. Dobson disappeared about 5 years ago and Tracfone only uses 2 sim cards -- T-Mobile and ATT.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

annepani,

Thanks, now if I ever run across a 890156 SIM card I'll know what it was.

Lg500g1

Per Wikipedia:

On TracFones with SIM cards, the carrier can be identified in the same manner as any other SIM-based phone, by
interpreting the SIM number... On T-Mobile phones, the first line of the SIM number will end in "SIMT5", on AT&T /
Cingular, the first line will end in "SIMC4", on Claro phones, the first line will end in "SIMCL7".

LG Wiki :)

millept

sdvjkchuiehn
July 16, 2012, 6:56 pm
Just a FYI for those who are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area about poor service on AT&T (Net10).

We just went through Net10 phone upgrade he** and thought others might like to avoid the problems we encountered.

We live in the NW corner of Dallas County (Zip 75019).

Our original Net10 phones were LG 600g and we had great service in our home, near or home and everywhere we
needed to make calls.

We then decided to upgrade to a new Motorola W408g that had a better camera, FM radio and MP3 player.
We received the phone and activated it (transferring the phone number, minutes and days). As a bonus we received
10 more minutes and 60 extra days on activation... The phone also came with a 300 minute/60 day card (all for $30)
and a great deal.

Our problems then started. We had no signal in our home, near our home or at other important areas. Doing research
we found out our older LG 600g phones were on the T-Mobile (Net10) network (SIM T5) whereas our new phone was
on the AT&T (Net10) network (SIM C4).

In the same W408g phone the AT&T (Net10) network (SIM C4) has no signal bars whereas the T-Mobile (Net10)
network (SIM T5) has the full 5 signal bars.

The solution was to buy another W408g (which again came with a AT&T (SIM C4) and immediately contact Net10 and
get them to send out a replacement T5 SIM (T-Mobile). Note that you will have to get a new phone number as for some
unknown reason when a number is transferred to the AT&T network it can no longer be transferred off of it. And yes this
problem happened to us twice. Do not believe Net10 for no matter how much Net10 promises it can not be transferred
and if you try all that will result is a phone that will not activate and then having another T5 SIM card to be sent.

Here is the AT&T coverage map for our area: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?

Note that AT&T states the coverage is Good where it really is "No Service Available" or at best poor.

For comparison here is the T-Mobile coverage map: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

In the same location T-Mobile shows Excellent coverage and it is excellent at 5-bars unlike AT&T's 0-bars good coverage.

Now that we are back on T-Mobile (Net10) network (SIM T5) we are very happy with our service.
If you call the Executive Resolutions number immediately (search on this website for it), you may still be able
to recover your old phone number and get it ported to the new phone... What the rep told you was incorrect.
Numbers can be ported across carriers so long as you can prove it's your number. I have ported numbers from
AT&T to T-Mobile and vice-versa.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Topics Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.