Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Proclaim
Topic Started: May 4, 2012, 5:44 am (17,641 Views)
The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

$180 through Straight Talk’s web site. Wonder if this is running on VZ? I saw the phone available in my local ZIP
code (03743) and none of the Sprint Androids show up for sale here, even though there is Sprint coverage here.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Anthony062991

Well, I just got off the phone with Straight Talk and Net10 and they both told me this runs on Sprint. I called
Samsung directly and they told me it runs on T-Mobile's network... I'm not sure what to believe at this point
because this is the only smart phone that shows up in my area code: 32578... Vary interesting...

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
I think the reason for the CSR to say Sprint is because it has not been "officially" released, it is only available
for pre-order. I input a ZIP for Newport, VT (05855) and the Proclaim is offered to me, and if you check Sprint's
native coverage for that ZIP, you'll see that there isn't a sliver of Sprint native coverage for about 100 miles in
any direction... Carlos does not make mistakes like that. Folks could file complaints for deceptive advertising.

It can't be GSM as the model number is "S720C" which denotes CDMA.

Den

Sweeper, that's a valid theory, I hope that is it and this IS a Verizon based phone, though the chat rep (for what
that's worth) said Sprint.

So... ST or Net10 wants me to pre-order this phone for almost $200 (which I would do in a heartbeat if I knew
it was Verizon)...without knowing for sure if it will work in my area, which needs verizon to be reliable???

Why can't they just say what network a phone is based on in the description? sure would be nice though many
wouldn't care.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
When Straight Talk first started, they did have the word "Verizon" on the box, believe it or not.

I actually think this is either a version of the Illusion, ot the Vitality that Cricket has (Vitality's model number is R720,
Proclaim's is S720).. Siding more with the Vitality, because the Illusion has a 1MHz processor and that's a little too
big for ST to start out with.

sadi85
Member Avatar

Same here in western NY. My zip is completely devoid of T-Mo or Sprint coverage. I get only AT&T 2G EDGE &
VZW 3G EVDO. No other Androids show up in my zip except this Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. Wish it's a VZ phone.
I think it might be possible now, since VZW themselves are offering prepaid android (Unlimited voice/text+1GB)
for $80... Can't wait for this to be true.

sadi85
Member Avatar

I think this might be the VZ Samsung Illusion, because the cricket vitality has 800 MHz processor; this one has
1 GHz like the illusion... Besides, the illusion and the proclaim looks awfully same; & both are priced similarly.

sadi85
Member Avatar

I (tried to) research a bit on expected android devices on StraightTalk/Net10 and found Net10 Phones this page.

When you click on the phones, the page you're directed to has some model numbers in the URL. They show some
unannounced android phones like the Galaxy S and the ZTE Merit.

Now, the Galaxy proclaim that we discussed earlier has a model # S720C & the URL for that page has "NTSAS720CU".

I'm guessing NT is for Net10, SA is for Samsung, S720C is the model & U is for carrier (hopefully VZW). Using the
same logic the Galaxy S (I couldn't find the model # directly) gives up "NTSAS950CU" .. I'm speculating it will also
be on VZW (again, hopefully). Same goes for the Huawei Ascend II and Alcatel OneTouch.

On the other hand, the ZTE Merit has a model # Z990G & for the URL that page has "NTZEZ990GU", which leads
me to believe that the ZTE android will be on AT&T (Even the ZTE Avail on AT&T has model- Z990).

If they really come up with VZW / AT&T android devices, it'll be a value considering what VZW / AT&T offers on
prepaid- 45$ vs 80$/75$.

Though these information was found on Net10 site, I can bet if the phones really end up on Net10, they'll come to
Straight Talk as well. That's the reason I posted it here in the ST forum.

emfbjr

I emailed Straight Talk on 5/4/12 to find out what network this phone will be on... They replied it will be on Verizon's
network. I ordered one on 5/5/12 and got a notice that it will ship on 5/7/12, I'll post again when I'm sure it's Verizon.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Something tells me that the "official" press release will be issued tomorrow.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Here's some additional news on the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim:

http://www.phonenews.com/samsung-galaxy-proclaim-for-straight-talk-ushers-in-new-verizon-agreement-20264/

ShadowDancer :)

stressedoutmommy

ShadowDancer
May 7, 2012, 1:48 pm
Thank you for the extra information. I have been looking for a decent Android from Straight talk and so far the
Proclaim seems like a good one. The other great option is the Optimus Black but this phone costs over $300.
I am torn between the Proclaim and the Black. Both seem good but the price difference is the kicker. I like the
Proclaim and the fact that it is so affordable but the Black seems like a better option in the long run... Anyone
have an opinion about this?

No Contract Mobile Review has a pretty decent review on the Optimus Black but I would like some user feedback
before I take the dive... I am leaning towards the Black but the Proclaim seems so much affordable.... Help!

annepani

stressedoutmommy
May 7, 2012, 10:11 pm
ShadowDancer
Thank you for the extra information. I have been looking for a decent Android from Straight talk and so far the
Proclaim seems like a good one. The other great option is the Optimus Black but this phone costs over $300.
I am torn between the Proclaim and the Black. Both seem good but the price difference is the kicker. I like the
Proclaim and the fact that it is so affordable but the Black seems like a better option in the long run... Anyone

No Contract Mobile Review has a pretty decent review on the Optimus Black but I would like some user feedback
before I take the dive... I am leaning towards the Black but the Proclaim seems so much affordable.... Help!
The Optimus is Sprint-based and the Proclaim is Verizon-based. Which one provides better service in your area?

A Whitfield

I currently have Boost, my min are about to expire and I have been wanting to go back to ST. The only reason I
went to Boost was to get a smartphone. I have the Motorola I1 which is an IDEN phone (walkie talkie) however,
Boost is "chopping" their IDEN towers. I looked on ST this morning and saw the proclaim everyone says it works
off VZ but I called ST they say Sprint?!?!? Is anyone really clear on the provider for this phone??? Please help!

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
The Proclaim is a Verizon network phone. It has been confirmed by several Straight Talk CSR's on Facebook
and loads of posters on another message board.

Tracfancier

This phone will only come up in the CO market, which is strictly Verizon.
Look at the tutorial for finding the S/N, you will see PRL version 59281.

Tutorials: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/straighttalk/home.seam?custId=NTSAS720C&locale=en_US

d4kc9
Member Avatar

So has anyone pre-ordered the phone yet?

d4kc9
Member Avatar

Read this data lovers:

Re: Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Postby Jessica_ST » Sat May 05, 2012 9:56 am Good day, bseverson. My name
is Jessica_ST and I'll be addressing your concern. Yes, the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim will be available in two
weeks and this will be powered by Verizon. All data features on the phone will work within your local zip code
and it will also work outside your local zip code but with Wifi. You cannot use your data features on the phone
without a Wifi outside local zip code. We hope this helps. Thank you. Jessica_ST Posts: 40 Joined: Fri Sep 03,
2010 9:51 am.

from Wontek page: Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Proclaim

annepani

Tracfancier
May 8, 2012, 5:18 pm
This phone will only come up in the CO market, which is strictly Verizon.
Look at the tutorial for finding the S/N, you will see PRL version 59281.

Tutorials: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/straighttalk/home.seam?custId=NTSAS720C&locale=en_US
No, it is also available in the GSM5ATSPRCO market... Try zip 32801 for Orlando FL

GSM5AT =T-Mobile
SPR = SPR
CO = CDMA usually Verizon

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
d4kc9
May 8, 2012, 6:26 pm
Read this data lovers:

Re: Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Postby Jessica_ST » Sat May 05, 2012 9:56 am Good day, bseverson. My name
is Jessica_ST and I'll be addressing your concern. Yes, the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim will be available in two
weeks and this will be powered by Verizon. All data features on the phone will work within your local zip code
and it will also work outside your local zip code but with Wifi. You cannot use your data features on the phone
without a Wifi outside local zip code. We hope this helps. Thank you. Jessica_ST Posts: 40 Joined: Fri Sep 03,
2010 9:51 am.

from Wontek page: Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Proclaim
This sounds like it could have two different meanings. 1) If I travel from Claremont to Springfield (both have Verizon
coverage) my data will not work... 2) Roaming is available for talk and text only.

KLM
Member Avatar

(Ref: post #19)
Where I live we have more than 1 zip code for our city. So that means data by cell will only work in a fraction of my town?

I try to read three ridiculous things every day. So far this counts as one. I think I will stop at one today. :D :D :D

Thanks d4kc9

stressedoutmommy

annepani
May 7, 2012, 10:23 pm
stressedoutmommy
May 7, 2012, 10:11 pm
ShadowDancer

The Optimus is Sprint-based and the Proclaim is Verizon-based. Which one provides better service in your area?
I think both Verizon and Sprint work well... So with that being equal???

emfbjr

I pre-ordered this phone saturday 5/5/12, have not gotten it yet has not been shipped yet was told to call tomorrow
5/11/12 if it has not shipped. I have been assured by email from Straight Talk and over the phone that it is Verizon.

A Whitfield

I talked to Customer Service yesterday, they confirmed this phone will work off VZ towers!!!

Den

Well for Crimini's sake when somebody gets this phone in their hands PLEASE give us a full report ASAP!!! :D

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Tags for the Proclaim are up in my store and I've been told it will be available "before the end of the weekend".

Posted Image

Den

:O

Oh wow that is what I was thinking.. I'd rather buy in-store than online I think.. WAY faster than I thought for in-store!!

I am in Maine though, probably be 6 months before I see it. :-/

Can I ask where this store is? State?

edit: Oh I just thought "look at his profile dummy" .. so I assume it's NH then? haha

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Den
May 10, 2012, 5:41 pm
Oh wow that is what I was thinking.. I'd rather buy in-store than online I think.. WAY faster than I thought for in-store!!
I am in Maine though, probably be 6 months before I see it. :-/ ..... Can I ask where this store is? State?
Claremont, NH

Den

Well if anybody cares, I just called a ME store that I know is Verizon area, and they confirmed they have 5 on hand,
he couldn't tell me when for sure they could go on sale though... Maybe Sunday or Monday.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Look what I found on the shelf this afternoon ….. Did not buy it, though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Den

Just thought I'd share a quick chat with ST rep... sounds like BS to close the sale to me, but I could be wrong.
I'm not phone expert, but doesn't a GSM phone need a SIM card? I don't think the proclaim has one:

My name is Mandy, how can I help you today?
You: Hi just want to confirm that the new samsung proclaim is on verizon?
Mandy: I am happy to assist you. Can I have your name please?
Mandy: The signals with this phone roams.
Mandy: Technology is built in the device, to ensure it uses both GSM/CDMA signals for best coverage and service.
joe: really? but the cdma side will use verizon not sprint then?
Mandy: Yes, If that is the only network available in your area it will use that.
joe: hmm well you arte very helpful. but there must be a base provider, and then if it roams to others i would be charged as roaming?
Mandy: There is absolutely no roaming charges that you will incur.
Mandy: We are contracted with the major carriers to bring you the same level of coverage, by providing connectivity through the same cellular towers.
joe: ok thanks please dont think i am arguing, but i dont think this phone has any gsm capability
joe: thus would not use at&t for example if it was the best in the artea
Mandy: Point taken. So do you wish to go ahead with that?
joe: haha well i want to know the real answer. is this phone cdma and gsm or not?
Mandy: The phone is CDMA but it can use both GSM and CDMA frequency.
joe: ok, well thank you for your help.
Mandy: Thank you.
Mandy: Thank you for chatting with us. We value your feedback. Please click the "End Chat" button at top right to answer a few questions about your experience with us today.

Den

Hey, I posted that last one before I noticed your latest, Sweeper... man I wish we were old buddies, I would
maybe have you grab one for me.

I called two stores now in ME and they say they are coming, but dunno when they'll be sold.. :(

Can I ask why you didn't buy one, if it's not too personal?

btw, thanks so much for taking the time to post these pix, etc..

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
I've spent $155 on cell phones this week already...

Den

oic...

So what's another $180? .. no tax in NH!

:D

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
These are selling very fast... The 2 stores I visited today informed me that they both had 10 in stock and
sold all of them within 48 hours of putting them out.

justwannaknow

Will somebody please do a video review already?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!

brandonlee1975

Can someone let us (me) know if you can use the mobile web or MMS messaging when outside your zipcode
on this phone. I want to get the Proclaim with Straight Talk but have heard conflicting reports. I have been told
that with the Proclaim, you're only allowed to use data and MMS messaging within your own zipcode. ... If you
want to use either outside your zipcode, it has to be via wifi. I suppose it would make sense for such restrictions
since Verizon are a bunch of a-holes.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Here's a link to one of the first reviews of the Straight Talk Samsung Proclaim S720c on YouTube (15:15 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsyRnaY8ErI&feature=channel&list=UL

emfbjr

Fnally got my phone and used it for a few days so far so good .this is my first droid so its a little confusing trying to
get and use apps but I love the phone. The only complaint I have is I wish the screen was a little bigger the virtual
keyboard is a little to small unless you turn the phone sideways. You do not need Wifi outside your zip to get inter
net access.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
When I was told that they’d be out before the end of the weekend last week, they said they had only 10 of them.
I told them that it was insane seeing as how it was going to be Verizon based and they should have gotten more.
Within 48 hours of them being put out, they were all gone.. When I walked into the store last night, they seem to
have heard me as they now have 40 in stock (35 here and 5 more on a peg farther into electronics).

Posted Image

Den

Well, I bought the phone at Wal-Mart (for once I got lucky I think they were just putting them out when I walked up)
and am 99% sure you can use data anywhere you have cell signal. I haven't been very far away from home zip yet
(at least 30 miles though) but it wouldn't make sense anyway..like as soon as I cross a town line the internet would
stop working? .. How would they keep track of that? Maybe if I went to another state or something, but even then it
would be silly. The service reps as usual I think do not have much of a clue, they read scripts, etc...

As far as the phone goes, it is also my first smartphone, and I do find it a pain to use the touch keyboard with my big
fingers. Got a few quibbles with it, but they are minor compared to finally having a "real" phone with apps, etc ... on
verizon. I am happy with it so far. I can say the battery life is not near what I had hoped, I use it so far just for "regular"
use, a few calls, several texts, a little internet maybe an app or two..and the phone pretty much needs to be charged
every night. I could go days with my Samsung 355c or even the LG501c without charging AND I often left it all 24hrs
to boot...

In case anyone is wondering (as I was) about the phone being limited (internet, etc) like some previous Tracfone/
Net10/ST phones, I have not seen any evidence of it.. It seems they are finally allowing us to have "big boy" phones.
Now if I could just get a better smartphone, but on the regular Net10 pay-as-you-go plan, or at least the $30 ST plan,
that would be great!

spanieldoggy

Well, I ended up buying this phone. I love it. I downloaded an app called Quadrant Standard (free on Google Play
and ran a benchmark... The phone scored a 2015 (or somewhere around there), which is higher than the Galaxy
Nexus' score. 3D gaming works perfectly... All in all, a very nice phone for the money.

sadi85
Member Avatar

Hey, did anyone notice that the Proclaim is gone from Straight Talk's site? I entered my own zip (which is an AT&T &
VZW area), then tried with a VZW only zip (59801). I just saw that yesterday, now it's gone. Does this have something
to do with Verizon's policy? .. Strange.

buckeyegurl86
Member Avatar

sadi85
June 23, 2012, 2:56 am
Hey, did anyone notice that the Proclaim is gone from Straight Talk's site? I entered my own zip (which is an AT&T &
VZW area), then tried with a VZW only zip (59801). I just saw that yesterday, now it's gone. Does this have something
to do with Verizon's policy? .. Strange.
I seen the phone on straighttalk.com site - https://www.straighttalk.com/Phones

sadi85
Member Avatar

Yes, it's on their straightalk.com/phones page still. But when you try to find it with even VZ only zip, it's not there anymore.

Update: Even Walmart website is showing the phone as "out of stock" now. But, Net10 still has this phone on their
site & in my local Walmart.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi sadi85,

I wouldn't get unduly alarmed about the disappearance of the Samsung Proclaim from the Straight Talk website.
I recently read that the Samsung Proclaim has reached such unexpected levels of popularity to the point that the
phone is currently sold out online. In the past, when Straight Talk / Net10 / Tracfone have sold out of a particular
phone model online, i.e. the LG800G, the company temporarily removed the phone from its web pages until they
receive new shipments. So, I fully expect the Samsung Proclaim to reappear once Straight Talk has replenished
its supplies.

tnell

Starting bid is $1,500.00! :O :O :O :O

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Proclaim-SCH-S720C

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
tnell:

* Hi tnell .... I actually think that ebay seller is making a joke about the phone price...

* If you scroll down below the description on the page, he talks about "making money, since others are selling it high"?

* He seems to be poking fun of other sellers selling this phone at a too high of a price, so he did the same thing. ;)

$Turk B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

According to phonenews.com, the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim is finally back in stock online, as of July 29, 2012,
after being out of stock for nearly a month due to the unexpected level of demand for the phone.

sherrymyra

I just picked one of these up last night... I had the LG optimus zip, which I am going to take back.

sherrymyra

Really like this phone. Not sorry I exchanged it from the LG Zip. This is a way nicer phone.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi Sherrymyra,

Could you please tell us why you prefer the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim over the LG Optimus Zip?
From the phones' descriptions, it sounds like there is not much difference between the two.

Thanks in advance,

buckeyegurl86
Member Avatar

I brought this phone about 3wks ago at Walmart and I love it.

Sometimes my data kicks off, but that's not a big deal, cause it comes back on.

uttercaro
Member Avatar

I just bought this phone last night, so I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions shortly. (For instance, I can't figure out how
to de-dupe my contacts list, since I inadvertently synced it with Facebook). I'm just so thrilled to use Verizon towers
instead of AT&T and actually have some coverage for a change. :P

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
The phone has only been out 5 months, and is probably the best selling Android phone Straight Talk has,
so I am curious why Wal Mart and walmart.com have dropped the price of the Proclaim to $150?
Also noticed that the LG 505C has been reduced to $70 as well.

Posted Image

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper .... I don't know why Straight Talk dropped the price either...

* Maybe for the Holidays coming up? .... or maybe because new phones are coming out? .... just guessing.

* The price drop on the LG 505c is easy, it was over priced to begin with (in my opinion) ... maybe the Tracfone and
* Net10 version will also drop?

T > U > R > K > B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Yep, the price on the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim and the LG 505C have dropped here in Western PA, too.
In fact, with the price drop, the LG 505C phones flew out the door. The rack is now empty.

Don't know why there was a price drop on these phones, but I did see a new rack label that indicates that our
local Wal-Mart is to get a shipment of Huawei Ascends.

Interesting, too, is that there is now only one $250.00 Samsung Galaxy S Showcase left.
I didn't think there would be much demand for a more expensive phone like that in our area.

ptwoodie
Member Avatar

I got this phone about 2 weeks ago and I am loving it! It is my first smart phone, too.
I found the owners manual online to help figure out all the features, great info here...

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201111/20111118053218033/Verizon_Wireless

In the past I was unable to use my Tracfone nor Net10 phones inside my home. We live in a very rural area,
down in a low valley. When I saw this phone runs off of Verizon towers, I was hoping it would be the solution
to our reception problems and IT IS!! My previous phones were running off of ATT towers and this has made
all the difference for me... Even with only one service bar, I am able to make and receive clear calls and use
the 3G data!! ... I was hoping that the Samsung Galaxy SII would work in my area but, alas it is on ATT towers.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi ptwoodie,

Happy to read that you are enjoying your Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. Many people seem to be please with that
CDMA phone model... What do you especially like about the phone other than its outstanding reception on the
Verizon network?

The latest Straight Talk CDMA model to run off of Verizon's network is currently the Samsung Galaxy S Showcase.
Otherwise, known as the Samsung S950C. Have you compared it to your Samsung Galaxy Proclaim?

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

The price on Straight Talk's Samsung Galaxy Proclaim has been reduced at my local Wal-Mart, and on Wal-Mart's
website. I'm not sure when the price reduction went into effect.

However, the phone originally sold for $179.88 or $180.00... Now, it is selling for $149.88 or essentially $150.00.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · Straight Talk only Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.