Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) Samsung s390g Phone Topic
Topic Started: April 23, 2012, 5:12 am (31,594 Views)
Yen

So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

* Tracfone Samsung s390g Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?
* Net10 Samsung s390g Tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/net10/home.seam?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Samsung s390g Tracfone, and I would love to unlock it so I can use it outside USA.

I need some help from you guys, thank you.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Tracfone has never and will never unlock a phone... The airtime tank info on the phone makes it impossible.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I was at one of my few Target stores today, and I happened to see on their clearance shelf a surprise, some what...

* They had the Net10 Samsung s390g ($50) on clearance for only $25! ... already? ... I couldn't believe it?! :blink:

* Maybe new models are coming out to replace it? ... or maybe this phone didn't sell well? ... who knows?

* Anyway, I think it stinks that the Tracfone version is only available some places online, but never made it to stores yet!

* Maybe I'll get lucky and the Tracfone version will someday come to stores already on clearance, for $25! (LOL) ;)

Turk #1 B-)

TF Noob

Turk
October 27, 2012, 12:40 am
* I was at one of my few Target stores today, and I happened to see on their clearance shelf a surprise, some what...

* They had the Net10 Samsung s390g ($50) on clearance for only $25! ... already? ... I couldn't believe it?! :blink:
* Maybe new models are coming out to replace it? ... or maybe this phone didn't sell well? ... who knows?

* Anyway, I think it stinks that the Tracfone version is only available some places online, but never made it to stores yet!
* Maybe I'll get lucky and the Tracfone version will someday come to stores already on clearance, for $25! (LOL) ;)
I think in some ways the s390g is a harder sell on Net10 and Straight Talk because it is competing with several
cheap Androids. I'm not sure why the Tracfone version isn't available in stores since its availability on QVC and
Tracfone's website means the HSN timed exclusivity has expired... If they are repackaging them in the new box
style that might explain the delay. It would be a shame if they let this one flounder without a proper retail release.

tfuser19

Is it possible to watch youtube videos using the native browser via Wifi on a S390G that is activated and shows
GSM signal bars? The phone shows Connected, then a few seconds later, shows "Connection failed" after I click
on the Watch Video link from a youtube video page and never starts playing the video.

tfuser19

Answering my own question, yes it is possible. The issue was my network firewall security level was set too high.

Lowering the firewall security level fixed the problem.

Dave Yuhas

Phone won't recognize MicroSDHC card.

Information I found online says it needs to be formatted?

Is this true, or should I just cut my losses and send the phone back?

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
Dave Yuhas:

Phone won't recognize MicroSDHC card. Information I found online says it needs to be formatted?
* Dave Yuhas .. hi .. I would say that is probabaly true about the card being formatted, most Fones seem to require that?

* My Samsung r355c asked for my SDcard to be formatted for it to work right. I was able to format it right on the phone itself.

* Since the s390g is also a Samsung, maybe the SDcard could be formatted right on that phone also?

* Some people use a digital camera to format their card, then put it into their phones and it seems to work that way to.

* However, if you have anything on the card (such as music or pictures), that stuff will be erased if you format it.

* So make sure the sd card is cleaned out before formatting it ... anyway, all this is normal with most of these phones. ;)

Micro Turk B-)

Dave Yuhas

I've never used a phone with a memory card. I have used several digital cameras and none of them required the
card to be formatted. The cards are pre-formatted. There is nothing in the manual about formatting, and as far as
I can tell the phone has no menu command to format a card.

Dave Yuhas

Turk
December 11, 2012, 10:45 pm
Dave Yuhas:

Phone won't recognize MicroSDHC card. Information I found online says it needs to be formatted?
* Dave Yuhas .. hi .. I would say that is probabaly true about the card being formatted, most Fones seem to require that?
* My Samsung r355c asked for my SDcard to be formatted for it to work right. I was able to format it right on the phone itself.

* Since the s390g is also a Samsung, maybe the SDcard could be formatted right on that phone also?
* Some people use a digital camera to format their card, then put it into their phones and it seems to work that way to.

* However, if you have anything on the card (such as music or pictures), that stuff will be erased if you format it.
* So make sure the sd card is cleaned out before formatting it ... anyway, all this is normal with most of these phones. ;)

Micro Turk B-)
I just talked to Tracfone tech "support." They confirmed the card does not have to be formatted before use in the
phone. Then they blamed the card... And suggested I find "someone" with a phone that accepts MicroSD cards
and try the card in their phone... Why wasn't I satisfied with my Motorola dumbphone??

Dave Yuhas

Just got a call from Tracfone Support - phone will not accept a card > 8GB.

No mention of that limitation that I can find in the manual.

TF Noob

Dave Yuhas
December 12, 2012, 7:43 pm
Just got a call from Tracfone Support - phone will not accept a card > 8GB.

No mention of that limitation that I can find in the manual.
Most phone and internet based "tech support" is a joke these days, but Tracfone really seems almost willfully
ignorant of their own products... I have a class 10, 16GB card in mine and it can support up to a 32GB card.
I was also able to use my 4GB card straight out of my LG 500g without any fuss. They're probably right about
the card being defective, but they're wrong about everything else.

When a memory card is put into the phone you should see a small icon shaped like an SD card at the top of
the screen. The icon starts out black while the phone is reading the card and turns white when it is finished.
Make sure you press the card in until you hear a click. If the icon never appears that means the phone can't
even "see" the card. If the icon appears but never turns white, that means the phone can "see" the card but is
unable to read or write to it.

Samsung also quietly released a working version of their PC Studio software for the 390g and 425g a couple of
months ago. If you go the support page for the phone and click on the "manuals & downloads" tab, then click on
software, it will let you download the program... I don't use it all the time, but it is nice to be able to back up your
contacts and messages.

Gravelo

I bought this phone about 3 weeks ago, and I love it... Screen is large enough, Opera mini works great, Wifi is a
plus! and a real keypad, love it. I found a great site for vinyl graphics for this and many other phones and devices.
If you're in to the look of graphics on your phones go to www.vinylskins.com and look at some of their items.

buckaroo50

I picked up a Samsung s390g a couple days ago, and at first I didn't like it until I found the Goto key and the
ability to program up to 12 functions...

I do have a situation with it though... I read in one post that people are able to use the Browser and Email with
out wifi... maybe my phone is not set correctly but I can only use a browser and email if connected to wifi (good
safety feature), but I am wondering if that is normal or not...

tfuser19

buckaroo50, ..... Congrats on a fine choice. B-)

Has your phone been activated?

If you phone has been activated, you should definitely be able to use the web browser and email app without WiFi.

What does the phone do when you try and use the web browser and email app without WiFi?

annepani

buckaroo50
January 19, 2013, 1:09 am
I do have a situation with it though... I read in one post that people are able to use the Browser and Email with
out wifi... maybe my phone is not set correctly but I can only use a browser and email if connected to wifi (good
Do you accidentally have it set to go into airplane mode? It is doubtful that you wouldn't know it because airplane
mode requires you to perform a few extra steps manually, but since your phone isn't reacting normally, it is worth
it to ask all the questions.

buckaroo50

annepani
January 19, 2013, 9:55 am
buckaroo50
January 19, 2013, 1:09 am
Do you accidentally have it set to go into airplane mode? It is doubtful that you wouldn't know it because airplane
mode requires you to perform a few extra steps manually, but since your phone isn't reacting normally, it is worth
it to ask all the questions.
I activated it with a zip code outside of my area, and CS is going to send me a new SIM card and I can reactivate it
with a zip code closer to mine... My zip calls for a CDMA phone which I do have (Samsung s380c), so to activate it,
I used a zip of a town 40 miles away... There is a closer zip that will activate with GSM...

I have 4-5 bars in my house and it did connect a couple times, but would not load the page so CS thinks that a new
SIM card will do the trick... We will see in a few days...

There wasn't a way to change the activated zip code and he did say that once it connected using a zip code closer
to my actual location that is should be ok afterwards... and connect just fine since my signal is so strong... Doesn't
make sense to me, but it is worth a try... I just figured that if I had a strong enough signal then it would be all set...
Oh well - at least I can lift heavy things... hahaha

tfuser19

buckaroo50,
Check your SIM card number: Prepaid->SIM Number

Sim Card first six digits:
AT&T: 890141
T-Mobile: 890126

If you have an AT&T SIM card now, and they sent another AT&T SIM card, I would not expect the problem to get
resolved. If they send you a T-Mobile SIM, then things might change for the better or worse. Do you know if AT&T
or T-Mobile phones work from your immediate home area?

buckaroo50

tfuser19
January 19, 2013, 3:40 pm
buckaroo50,
Check your SIM card number: Prepaid->SIM Number

Sim Card first six digits:
AT&T: 890141
T-Mobile: 890126

If you have an AT&T SIM card now, and they sent another AT&T SIM card, I would not expect the problem to get
resolved. If they send you a T-Mobile SIM, then things might change for the better or worse. Do you know if AT&T
or T-Mobile phones work from your immediate home area?
The sim card that I have appears to be AT&T and I get 4 bars in the house so that ok and CS seems to think it is ok also..
T-mobile also works because my neighbor has T-mobile and it works fine for him...
I also have a US Cellular android and I get about the same (4) bars...
I also have a Samsung s380c (Verizon) and I get the same bars and I can connect to data with the browser...

I gathered from CS that had I initialized the sim card in the zip code that I activated it then it would be fine...
I don't get the logic from that but if the new card doesn't work then I am not really going to worry about it because
data chews up minutes pretty fast and if out and about I could always stop in to a wifi hotspot and get connected
there but probably would use my tablet or the US Cellular android... Or for that matter I have also have a 10" lap-
top that is small enough to carry with me in a BIG pocket - lol

It seems like the data transmission isn't strong enough with the AT&T... Maybe the repeater needs to boost its
power from 5 watts to a kilowatt... hahaha

I just wanted it to work, unlikely I would ever use the browser or email on air time...

If I can't figure it out, that is ok, I can still lift heavy things... hahaha

tfuser19

buckaroo50
January 20, 2013, 6:53 pm
I gathered from CS that had I initialized the sim card in the zip code that I activated it then it would be fine...
Sounds like CS BS, because if the phone get activated in any ATT area, then it should work exactly the same in
any other ATT area, so I'm betting it won't make any difference with another ATT SIM... Please to let us know.

And I'm glad you can still lift heavy things ;) ... I hope I can find you when I need help with lifting something, haha.

buckaroo50

tfuser19
January 20, 2013, 7:03 pm
buckaroo50
Sounds like CS BS, because if the phone get activated in any ATT area, then it should work exactly the same in
any other ATT area, so I'm betting it won't make any difference with another ATT SIM... Please to let us know.

And I'm glad you can still lift heavy things ;) ... I hope I can find you when I need help with lifting something, haha.
I don't think that it will make any difference either but if it doesn't then I will call them and request that they send a
T-mobile SIM and try that... My next door neighbor's wife works for T-mobile, and he has good reception and can
access the web over the airways...

The part I don't get is that I have adequate signal strength with 4-5 bars inside my house and CS felt the same as
I do that, that strength should be more than adequate... Who knows maybe there is a glitch in the sim card, which
is possible...

Just imagine how stupid the average person is, and then realize that 1/2 are more stupid than that... hahaha...
And never forget, you can learn a lot from a dummy... lol

buckaroo50

buckaroo50
January 21, 2013, 1:39 pm
tfuser19
buckaroo50

I don't think that it will make any difference either but if it doesn't then I will call them and request that they send a
T-mobile SIM and try that... My next door neighbor's wife works for T-mobile, and he has good reception and can

The part I don't get is that I have adequate signal strength with 4-5 bars inside my house and CS felt the same as
I do that, that strength should be more than adequate... Who knows maybe there is a glitch in the sim card, which
is possible...

Just imagine how stupid the average person is, and then realize that 1/2 are more stupid than that... hahaha...
Has anyone tried taking an unlocked At&t Samsung android and putting the tracfone SIM card in and activating it?
Can anyone think of a reason that this would not work?

tfuser19

buckaroo50
January 25, 2013, 10:41 am
buckaroo50
January 21, 2013, 1:39 pm
tfuser19
buckaroo50

is possible...

Has anyone tried taking an unlocked At&t Samsung android and putting the tracfone SIM card in and activating it?
Can anyone think of a reason that this would not work?
No phone without the Tracfone software will work if you move the SIM over - it has to be a phone from Tracfone.
They have the system locked down, otherwise we'd all be doing it.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I see over on Tracfone.com that there is a new special involved with this phone, and it just started today...

* You get a reconditioned Samsung s390g (with TMFL) + a 60 minute airtime card ... all for just $20!

* That's an awesome deal, you get the phone for free ... I'd buy it if I didn't already have my new Samsung s380c.

* Scroll down on website link: http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?

* I've ordered reconditioned phones from Tracfone before, and they are like brand new with warranty and all.. ;)

Turk B-)

buckaroo50

Got the new SIM card and put it in and called CS to get is setup... He said that they sent me the wrong SIM card
and it would not activate in the zip code that I wanted to use... So they are sending me another one...

I asked him to clear up the data situation for me... He said that it the phone should be activated in the proper zip
code and then the data should work fine, and if the phone was roaming then the data may or may not work...

I assume that would mean if the roaming is using US Cellular the data may not work, but if using Verizon towers
then maybe it might. I did not ask specific because all the info he could give me was that it needed to be activated
in the zip code and that while roaming it may not work.

So that makes sense I had used a zip code that was 40 miles away and it did activate the phone but the data did
not want to work even with 4-5 bars.. and I also had a SIM card that was good for the zip code that I had used...

Now with the new SIM card coming that is made for a closer zip code 10 miles away the phone should activate
fine and the data stream should be fine and if out of the area the data may or may not work while roaming...

So the bottom line is, I guess that all ATT SIM cards are not equal...

And I can still lift heavy things... hahaha

tfuser19

buckaroo50
January 28, 2013, 5:05 pm
Got the new SIM card and put it in and called CS to get is setup... He said that they sent me the wrong SIM
card and it would not activate in the zip code that I wanted to use... So they are sending me another one...
What was wrong with the new SIM card? ... What are the 1st 5 digits on it?
This is a GSM phone, so it don't speak to Verizon towers ........ they only talk to CDMA phones.

buckaroo50

tfuser19
January 28, 2013, 5:52 pm
buckaroo50
January 28, 2013, 5:05 pm
Got the new SIM card and put it in and called CS to get is setup... He said that they sent me the wrong SIM
card and it would not activate in the zip code that I wanted to use... So they are sending me another one...
What was wrong with the new SIM card? ... What are the 1st 5 digits on it?
This is a GSM phone, so it don't speak to Verizon towers ........ they only talk to CDMA phones.
The old and new sim cards are both ATT and the new one coming is also going to be ATT... Both old and new
will activate using 04330 but won't activate using 04937.. The one that they are sending will activate in 04937..
these zip codes are about 30 miles from each other...

Hopefully the new sim will get here today and then we will see if it works ok... Maybe it is a lock tone like with
my 2 meter FM two-way... I need a certain tone to open the repeater, and sometimes different repeaters require
different tones. I don't know for sure and I didn't grill the CS for tech stuff because they don't know... they sit in
front of a computer and punch in your problem and a screen comes up as to the sequence of trouble shooting
procedures to do, but they don't have the technical data as to how or why things work the way that they do only
that they will or will not work.

There can be several tones involved. Such as on my two-way I can set a tone to access the repeater and set
another tone so that only certain people can hear and I can hear only people that have that second tone...
Thus I could talk to someone on the same frequency at the same time without interfering with others or others
interfering with me, because the second tone will not open their receivers and their transmit will not open my
receiver... only the second tone will open other receivers that have set the second tone to the same as mine...
This allows privacy over the airways to a certain degree...

tfuser19

buckaroo50
January 29, 2013, 9:12 am
The old and new SIM cards are both ATT and the new one coming is also going to be ATT ... Both old and
new will activate using 04330 but won't activate using 04937, The one that they are sending will activate in
04937... these zip codes are about 30 miles from each other...
buckaroo50,

I hope the new ATT SIM they send you works, but I'm smellin' a lot of CS BS. If two ATT SIMS did not work from
your home, then I don't think a third will either.

AFAIK, all ATT SIMS are created equally - they're not zip code sensitive. They either work with all ATT towers or
they don't.

buckaroo50

tfuser19
January 29, 2013, 9:36 am
buckaroo50
January 29, 2013, 9:12 am
The old and new SIM cards are both ATT and the new one coming is also going to be ATT ... Both old and
new will activate using 04330 but won't activate using 04937, The one that they are sending will activate in
04937... these zip codes are about 30 miles from each other...
buckaroo50,

I hope the new ATT SIM they send you works, but I'm smellin' a lot of CS BS. If two ATT SIMS did not work from
your home, then I don't think a third will either.

AFAIK, all ATT SIMS are created equally - they're not zip code sensitive. They either work with all ATT towers or
they don't.
They worked from my home (04976) but I had to use 04330 to activate them... And 04330 is 40 miles away, where
as 04937 is maybe 12 miles as the crow flies. Maybe by activating at 04330 it was roaming here at 04976 and the
data would not work even tho' I had 4-5 bars inside my house..

The second SIM that they send was not ever activated because I called CS and he asked for the sim number and
said that it would not activate using 04937 and that they had sent me the wrong sim and I needed one that would
activate using 04937...

Anyway the second replacement did not get here today, I actually thought that it might get here last Sat... so I may
call and make sure that it has been shipped...

When I first called, I asked if they could just change the zip code in the computer, and they said that it would not
accept the 04937 and that is where it all started for a replacement and when I called to activate the replacement
he (a different CS) said that it would not work with the zip code 04937 and I needed one that would...

I feel like you that an ATT SIM should activate with any zip code but apparently not...

buckaroo50

I finally got to the bottom of this mess... ATT from my location is 0 coverage according to Tracfone CS, even tho' I
get 4-5 bars inside my house... The last CS guy dropped the ball and did not send another SIM card (arg)...

I spoke to a young girl that seems to know her stuff and said that ATT in my area was (no coverage) and T-mobile
was (moderate) and that the zip codes that I specified call for T-mobile SIM card ... The other guys kept telling me
that it was another ATT when in fact it was calling for T-mobile.. Makes sense to me since my next door neighbor's
wife works for T-mobile and he has good coverage...

So then I indicated to the CS girl, that inside my house I have 3-4 bars with an occasional 5 bars. She said that was
possible but if I moved around I could loose connection that it was very sparse in my area and I happen to be sitting
on a good spot but maybe a couple hundred feet down the road I would loose signal. And the closest zip code to me
that works other than Verizon is 4-5 miles away and that T-mobile shows moderate coverage and the sim card would
activate on T-mobile and that is why the zip codes would not activate with ATT is because it needs T-mobile...

So she reactivated my phone with ATT for the time being until the T-mobile sim card gets here. These other CS dudes
were telling me that I needed a different sim card but didn't realize that I would have to switch from ATT to T-mobile...

buckaroo50

I got the new T-mobile SIM card today and activated it and all works as it should... 4-5 bars in my house and fast
data stream... I know I won't have the coverage that I do with Verizon as I travel north of where I live but that is ok..
I got the Samsung s380c with Verizon towers that does pretty good up in the back 40, on God's country... We got
smoke signals and ranger towers for that... hahaha

mrmdls

Hello Everyone,

There is a fix for Google Maps posted on one of the Google forums. What you need to do is remove your SD
memory card, and download (or transfer) and install Google Maps from your phone, with it installing on your
phone and not on your memory card. .. The problem with the Terms and Service agreement, serious error is
that it is trying to install Google Maps on the SD memory card.

Snoozer

mrmdls
February 2, 2013, 12:21 pm
Hello Everyone,

There is a fix for Google Maps posted on one of the Google forums. What you need to do is remove your SD
memory card, and download (or transfer) and install Google Maps from your phone, with it installing on your
phone and not on your memory card. .. The problem with the Terms and Service agreement, serious error is
Please post the link of the forum for others to try as it would be most beneficial and let everyone know the forum thread title.

tfuser19

mrmdls
Hello Everyone,

Can you post a link where you read this?

I don't buy into that story because I just successfully installed Google Maps from the JAD and JAR files which I had
put the SD memory card just this week after reading that Terms and Conditions (T&C) issue was fixed on Google's
servers. The SD card was in the phone the entire time.

The Terms and Conditions agreement error was caused by Google doing something on their end where the T&C
file could not be downloaded to the phone to be displayed as part of the initial installation of the Google Maps
application.

BTW, has anyone been install Google Maps directly off the Google.com site?
I sure don't see the installation files for Java phones like ours, but people are saying they do.

mrmdls

I tried previously to install Google Maps with my memory card in it, and I receiving the error with the Terms and
Conditions after Google had done something on their end... I haven't tried installing Google Maps for about 2
weeks till I read that post. I'm going to attempt without installing from the phone and with memory card in, and
see if that make a difference, as I'm very curious right now.

mrmdls

You were correct tfuser19!

Google Maps can be installed now without the error in Terms and Conditions with the memory card in.

Teach me not to test, before attempting the method described the Google Groups post that I found.

tfuser19

mrmdls,

Thanks for following up on this.

Snoozer

tfuser19
February 2, 2013, 12:55 pm
mrmdls
Hello Everyone,

Can you post a link where you read this?

I don't buy into that story because I just successfully installed Google Maps from the JAD and JAR files which I had
put the SD memory card just this week after reading that Terms and Conditions (T&C) issue was fixed on Google's
servers. The SD card was in the phone the entire time.

The Terms and Conditions agreement error was caused by Google doing something on their end where the T&C
file could not be downloaded to the phone to be displayed as part of the initial installation of the Google Maps
application.

BTW, has anyone been install Google Maps directly off the Google.com site?
I sure don't see the installation files for Java phones like ours, but people are saying they do.
Where did you download google maps to and then install it?
Can you tell me how and what files I need to get and how to load it to my phone?

tfuser19

A source for the signed Google Maps:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single/?p=450806&t=4935151

Post back on how it worked please.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

I currently have the LG 500G and want to upgrade to this phone. I'm gonna order the reconditioned version of
the S390G on the Tracfone website.. Anyone have problem with their refurbished phones? Or are they ok like
brand new? Mainly I want the phone for 3g and the Wifi.

Snoozer

Can anyone explain how easy this one is to install wifi? ... If it is in a manual please let me know.
Can wifi be used before activation and wifi be used after discontinuing service minutes and time? :'(

Snoozer

selw0nk
February 3, 2013, 4:53 pm
I currently have the LG 500G and want to upgrade to this phone. I'm gonna order the reconditioned version of
the S390G on the Tracfone website.. Anyone have problem with their refurbished phones? Or are they ok like
If you need to order it over a phone it would be better.
Seems as a lot of the time when ordering a gsm refurbished phone, trac forgets to ship the SIM with it!!

annepani

Snoozer
February 4, 2013, 11:04 am
Can anyone explain how easy this one is to install wifi? ... If it is in a manual please let me know.
Can wifi be used before activation and wifi be used after discontinuing service minutes and time? :'(
1 - You don't install wifi, it is just there.
2 - Yes wifi can be used before activation and after service days expire. Wifi does not depend on cell minutes.

buckaroo50

annepani
February 4, 2013, 12:23 pm
Snoozer
2 - Yes wifi can be used before activation and after service days expire. Wifi does not depend on cell minutes.
As stated wifi is already on the phone. You need only select (Menu), then navigate to (Wifi) and select it - it will then
search for available connections which you now can select and activate...

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
selw0nk:

* selw0nk ... I have ordered a few reconditioned Tracfones over the past few years, and they all worked fine.
* They even came looking like brand new (with new housing) ... and I never had a SIM card missing in them.

* They also give you the same warranty as a new phone, so no need to worry about anything, even ordering it online.
* Good luck ... and if you decide to get this phone, feel free to tell us how you like it, etc ... thanks.. ;)

* Tracfone.com ... http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?

T u B-) r K

tfuser19

selw0nk
February 3, 2013, 4:53 pm
hsn.com has the S390G with extras: cover, car charger, 1-year/1400 min for $99.95 shipped.

It's like paying for the minutes and getting the rest for free.

I don't see the reconditioned S390G deal on Tracfone at this time.

annepani

tfuser19
February 4, 2013, 9:30 pm
hsn.com has the S390G with extras: cover, car charger, 1-year/1400 min for $99.95 shipped.

I just checked tracfone.com... the bundle is still there at 1:00 am 2/5/13. Refurb S390 + 60 min card for $20.

Snoozer

buckaroo50
February 4, 2013, 1:29 pm
annepani
February 4, 2013, 12:23 pm
Snoozer
As stated wifi is already on the phone. You need only select (Menu), then navigate to (Wifi) and select it - it will
then search for available connections which you now can select and activate...
Maybe you can help me. If I have my ssid and it requires my password, is this all it takes to get me going with the
wifi? I was told by Trac that wifi isn't possible without activation... Please help me a little more. Thank you.

kevdogg329

annepani
February 5, 2013, 2:04 am
tfuser19
February 4, 2013, 9:30 pm

I just checked tracfone.com... the bundle is still there at 1:00 am 2/5/13. Refurb S390 + 60 min card for $20.
I was able to order it this morning with no issues. I just hope they send it with an ATT SIM card (T-Mobile is junk here).

tfuser19

Snoozer
February 5, 2013, 10:48 am
Maybe you can help me. If I have my ssid and it requires my password, is this all it takes to get me going with
the wifi? I was told by Trac that wifi isn't possible without activation... Please help me a little more. Thank you.
I bet they're full of it. You may need to fool around with getting Auth Type and Encryption Type to get it working,
but I'd expect it to work without activating the phone.

I did not need to activate my LG 840G to use WiFi on it. It's been too long since I've had my S390G to remember.

Snoozer

tfuser19
February 5, 2013, 11:35 am
Snoozer
February 5, 2013, 10:48 am
Maybe you can help me. If I have my ssid and it requires my password, is this all it takes to get me going with
the wifi? I was told by Trac that wifi isn't possible without activation... Please help me a little more. Thank you.
I bet they're full of it. You may need to fool around with getting Auth Type and Encryption Type to get it working,
but I'd expect it to work without activating the phone.

I did not need to activate my LG 840G to use WiFi on it. It's been too long since I've had my S390G to remember.
My problem was, and I don't know why I can't use a new SIM sent to me from Tracfone in any GSM phone out, that
I was waiting Tracfone to send me an AT&T SIM card in which they registered.

But Tracfone is wrong about having to activate a phone that has WiFi to get the internet to work. My wifi is secured
by a password, so after inputting it the internet works without activation for who needs to know... I had a Net10
android before and you did have to activate it to use the wifi service.

kevdogg329

Just got my Samsung s390g ... Anyone have any good games to suggest for this phone?

buckaroo50

I have been receiving text messages from "129", the message is empty but each time I receive one I spend money...
I called T-Mobile with no luck. I called Tracfone and ended up changing my phone number. Within an hour I got two
(2) messages from "129". I do get notices from Tracfone when something has been done but Tracfone is "31778" for
the sender...

Anyone know who "129" is - is it some service from Tracfone or something to do with T-Mobile.

tfuser19

buckaroo50
February 21, 2013, 4:47 pm
I have been receiving text messages from "129", the message is empty but each time I receive one I spend money...
I called T-Mobile with no luck. I called Tracfone and ended up changing my phone number. Within an hour I got two
(2) messages from "129". I do get notices from Tracfone when something has been done but Tracfone is "31778" for
the sender...
Anyone know who "129" is - is it some service from Tracfone or something to do with T-Mobile.
buckaroo50,
How rude! Hope this works for you: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4180#Receiving_messages_from_129

Try VoiceMail Shortcuts 4-2-3
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4512
http://support.t-mobile.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/1710-102-1-2104/voicemail_shortcuts.pdf

Lemme know if it worked or not .... how's the heavy lifting going? can you get the 10 ton gorilla off my back please. :)

gmannix

I have ordered two of the TF 390's .... LOVE EM BOTH!! :wub:
The first one I connected to wifi w/no problems, prior to activation... The second one initially told me I could not
connect to wifi without activation...well, I knew that was wrong cuz I had done it on the first one. So I played around
with it for awhile and sure enuff got it done. I always buy two (or more) of each new bundle so I have at least a back
-up battery, but I seldom activate both unless I set it up for a friend or family member.

These were both the TF bundle, and I'd defy anyone to tell them from new!! I have been buying TF refurbs for several
years,and only once had a problem. TF sent me a prepaid return shipping label, and before I even got the label, a
brand new, in the clamshell, phone arrived! I have never had problems with TF service,and other than a language
barrier on occasion CSR,either.Like someone said earlier,wanna learn sumpin, ask a dummy...just remember that
you are the one asking the questions.

I have learned a lot from a couple of other forums, and Yahoo Tracfone_users ie., but each time I come to the Turk's
House I learn something new, and I thank You, Turk, as well as your members.

Hawki

Just a note - no questions yet - a friend ordered a Samsung 390g cell from Tracfone with a 125 monthly value plan.
It is supposed to arrive today - this person has never had a cell without a contract - big step, but price was the hook.
I have an LG 800g which I got because of this forum - it has not let me down - I am not anywhere as experienced as
the members I read - I am hoping that the good help I got for the LG will apply to the s390g - thanks everyone !!

gmannix

Okay, change of plans.. As much as I like the whole concept of the Sammy 390g, after using it for three weeks,
I have decided to go back to the flip-style phone. I found that with all the other access I have to the internet, an
internet capable phone just wasn't worth it.

So, at this point, I have for sale:
1. Un-activated refurb.
2. An activated refurb, that has been re-set to factory settings.
3. An activated Brand new phone that has also been re-set to factory settings.

I see that the 390g is not currently on the TF website, so any one interested...PM me, Gmannix

cjon71

I ordered this phone last night... Anyone recommend any apps for it?

firedancer57

Afternoon All,
Found this board after doing a search for information on my Samsung S390G that is on the Tracfone network.
I must say I love this phone. My daughter brought it for me after hearing me constantly complaining about having to
press the same key two or three times to answer one of her's or my son's texts and by the time I got done they were
sending me another. I seemed to be the butt of many jokes between the two. She can have her Optimus and he can
have his Galaxy whatever. I love my Tracfone.

Here's what sent me on my adventure/quest for information...
Amazon is offering a free app for a SAS Survival Guide (I really want this) its on the android system. I know that I can
download it to my proscan 7" tablet but I really would like it on my phone. I found on the Tracfone spec. page that it's
a BREW (?) operating system. I've asked my daughter if she could help me with this and she said she doesn't know
anything about it so... I turning to this board for help.

Can I download this to my phone? Will it work? What do I need to do to download this app. I don't have any technical
skills, so be easy on me. ... Thank you in advance.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* firedancer57 .... hi, welcome, and that's good you like your new Samsung s390 so far, hope it treats you well.

* However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you can download that SAS app to your s390g.

* That app is for Android devices and iPhone devices ... and the s390g isn't either one, not even close to either one.

* If the s390g has BREW, that's an old operating system used in older phones / cheap phones / and Tracfones. (lol)

* With BREW, you can download some games and some cheap apps (non android apps) from some sites for free.

* The Tracfone website may also have some games and cheap apps you can download, for a price, of course.

* Here's a website a lot of people use to try and get free stuff from (games, apps, songs, etc) - http://www.umnet.com/

* Good luck to you... and I hope all works out for you in your future searches.. ;)

Turk App --> B-)

firedancer57

Turk,

Thank you for the fast reply. Dang it, dern it, and dadblast it! ... Oh well, it's still a great phone without it.
I did download the app to my tablet, so at least I have it. ..... Thanks again.

Ann

firedancer57

Ok, here's another question about my beloved Samsung SGH-390g phone. Several times this past week to 10 days
or so, my phone will say "No Service". I have 108.49 minutes and end service date of 6/03/2047 (I had an argument
with Tracfone several years ago, I won and they gave me that end date).

I know enough to turn it off and then on again but it's a pain in the butt and is getting me a bit angry. Is this a problem
with the phone or with the system? ... I've contacted Tracfone, and they just recommended that I continue to do what
I've been doing?

pjonthemount

Hey everyone,
I've been looking at the Sammy 390g and I just have one question.
It may have been discussed on here before, but I don't have time to sort through all the posts.

I've never had a bar phone before and was wondering if anyone has a problem of waking the
phone or dialing numbers while the phone is in your pocket and the keypad locked.

I know that to unlock it, you must push the unlock soft key and then the other soft key to confirm.
Sounds pretty secure, but I wanted to hear from people who have had this phone.

Thanks in advance, pjonthemount

tfuser19

pjonthemount,
Yep, if you put this phone in your pocket or purse without a protective case and it's on, she will dial 911,
other numbers, or invoke the web browser... This it a know issue with the S390G.

pjonthemount

Is this an inherent problem with all bar type phones?

Also, is this a problem if the keyboard is locked? ... Does it actually unlock itself?

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* pjonthemount .... Yes, the Samsung s390g has a lot of bad reviews on it for pocket dialing 911, other numbers,
* and for also accidently turning on the web browser when it is in locked mode.

* Just go to Amazon.com, HSN.com, or QVC,com and read all the reviews of this phone ... some like it, and some don't.
* The biggest complaint is the phone dialing numbers even in locked mode. (it also sometimes unlocks itself to).

* No, not all these types of bar phones have this problem ... I have had 3 of these blackberry type phones in the past
* and I never had these problems like the s390g .... it seems the Samsung s390g is the big winner here.. ;)

Turk Mode B-)

pjonthemount

Thanks Turk,
That's a bummer, what with all of the other really cool features of this phone.
pj...out

tfuser19

pjonthemount
September 1, 2013, 8:41 am
Thanks Turk,
That's a bummer, what with all of the other really cool features of this phone.
pj...out
The pocket/purse dialing solution is to carry the phone in a belt holster or hard case. The S390G is my primary
phone and I love it compared to any other Tracfone I've owned, which include the LG 840G and LG 800G.

pjonthemount

Yeah tfuser19,
Everything else I've read about it is all that I've been looking for... Especially the voice commands.
I'm still debating. It's been years since I've used a belt holster, but if I have to...

I use the LG 840g now and I like it. Trouble is it got dropped in to a bucket of water and now has no sound or vibration.
So it's time to look for a replacement.

I thought about using my old LG 800 till TF comes out with something newer than the 840, but that 390 looks awfully nice.

tfuser19

pj,
This might interest you...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Samsung-S390G-One-Year-Service-and-600-Minutes

pjonthemount

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150999926879?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Actually, I had my eye on this one, and here's why.
If you notice, the one for $42 does not specify TMFL, while the one for $49 does.
I don't know how one could have it and the other not, but one says 600 minutes and one year of service.
The other one says 600 minutes and TMFL...???

The way I see it is, considering the cost of a 200 minute card, it's like paying $10 for the phone.
Not a bad deal and if I find that I don't like it, then I'm only out $10...and I could re-sell it on EBay.

tfuser19

pj,
shopcelldeals is a very reputable seller.
All S390Gs are TMFL, but I would confirm $43 phone is TMFL w/shopcelldeals 1st ... then PP me the $6. :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* pjonthemount .... actually, it does say TMFL with the phone on the link from tfuser19.

* Scroll half way down the page on his link, and in the Descriptions to the left of the phone picture it says TMFL.

* Just take your time and look for it, I'm sure you'll eventually see it...

* And hope all goes well for you if you decide to get this phone.. ;)

Turk B-)

pjonthemount

OK, now I did see it in the description down below.
That makes it a no brainer with the addition of a year of service AND a lower price.

And yes, I've seen a lot of good feed back in support of shopcelldeals.
Just thought it was weird that they were listed separately and for different prices like that.

Thanks again, guys.

tfuser19

Turk,
Away from PC now ... phone browser not showing TMFL on mobile eBay site 4 me.

pjonthemount

Speaking of shopcelldeals, have any of you tried the minute cards?

I noticed that the 200 minute card is going for $32 ... that's $8 cheaper than buying them in the stores.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

@pjonthemount --

I have purchased an LG 840g phone and two 1-year airtime cards/minutes from Shopcelldeals over the past two years.
I have saved about $15 on each card by buying the cards/minutes through this seller. Everything has worked fine.

Others on the LG 840g phone thread on this Forum have also purchased Tracfones and airtime cards/minutes
from Shopcelldeals. No one has reported any problems.

I would be wary, however, of buying minutes from eBay sellers who want you to send them your phone number
so that they can add minutes to your Tracfone account. I wouldn't share my phone number with a stranger.

ShadowDancer :)

pjonthemount

Well, I did it... Ordered the s390g / 600 mins. / 1yr. service for $43. :'(

And while I was at it, ordered a 200 min. card for $32 since the wife's phone will need it soon. All from shopcelldeals.

Once I get it and have a chance to try it out, I'll try to give a little feedback.

Thanks for all the input.

PJ

pjonthemount

Could someone post or re-post instructions on how to get & install Opera Mini and UC browsers?

I started to look on the Opera website, but they didn't have the s390g listed in their list of phones.

Thanks
PJ

tfuser19

pjonthemount
September 2, 2013, 3:24 pm
Could someone post or re-post instructions on how to get & install Opera Mini and UC browsers?
I started to look on the Opera website, but they didn't have the s390g listed in their list of phones.
Thanks
PJ
@pjonthemount,

For UC Browser installation on S390G, you will have to use airtime minutes to install the signed application.

With the S390G native browser, navigate to (you could bookmark this link 1st using WiFi)
http://wap.ucweb.com/index.php?action=SelectDownload

Click Java (or scroll down to Java section), then click on the "9.2 Signed version for Java" link to install the browser -
don't click on the [JAR] link to install or you will have an unsigned installation.

Also, don't use the "9.2 Version for Samsung Java" link - it will also install an unsigned version - you don't want that.

Once UC browser is installed, you should use WiFi to test the browser so you can conserve your minutes.

pjonthemount

Thanks tfuser,
As soon as my phone arrives (probably Wed. or Thur.), I'll give it a try.
PJ

tfuser19

@pjonthemount,

For Opera Mini: http://http://m.opera.com/?act=opts

Scroll down to "Options for Opera Mini 7.1", then click on "Select Code-Signing Certificate".

Next, click on "All Certificates", then click "Download Opera Mini 7.1 (English (USA))" to install it.

pjonthemount

OK, so here's the deal I took. I went for the $43 one on EBay that said "600 mins. and a year of service"... I figured
the phone was free and all I was paying for was the minutes. To my surprise, in the box was a 400 min/1 year card.
You know what that equals...1200 minutes and a year of service! That was a nice surprise. Not to mention the TF
promo code for another 250 mins.

And thanks tfuser for the info to get the correct Opera browser. It works really well.

On the phone, there's some things I like about it: voice commands, the keyboard, the way the Opera browser
displays without that annoying control bar that took up half the screen on the 840. I actually looked up a couple
of things on line and it was quick and quite easy, not like before.

Some things I don't like: I wish it had a little bigger screen so my old eyes could see pictures better and I don't like
the memo feature. It has a character limit where the notepad on the 840g didn't. I always used the notepad heavily.

But, with that deal, I can't go wrong. I could throw the phone away and still be ahead. Heck, that's a $100 card and
I got it for $43 plus the phone! So I'm pretty happy with it. Guess I'll keep it and wait for the next big release from TF.
It's about time they come out with another one.

PJ

bluechip64

How do you play "swf" files on S390G with sound?

I don't want video files to be displayed by Camera View.
I want Camera View only to display full screen photos.

So I converted many small "mp4" files to "swf" format - using "Format Factory" on my PC.

These "swf" files are NOT displayed by Camera View and they do play when selected by My Folder,
but they play without any accompanying audio sound.

Does anyone know how to select and play "swf" files on the S390G with sound?

Thanks.

tfuser19

bluechip64 ,
I don't recall playing a swf file on my S390G and did not realize it could be done.

Does the file you created play sound on your PC?

Did you try looking on the internet for swf files to test on your phone for sound?

ST Dog

bluechip64
October 4, 2013, 1:12 pm
they play without any accompanying audio sound.
I'm surprised they play at all, as SWF is a Flash format.

Maybe try loading with a web browser?

tfuser19

@bluechip64,
I downloaded a swf to my PC, had sound and worked. On the S390G, not sound - only video.

BadWolf1114

I got a new phone yesterday, (Samsung s390g) and I would like to try putting the SD card from my old phone
(LG Optimus Dynamic) into the new one. How do I unlock the SD card on my phone? .. Both are Net10.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* BadWolf1114 ... hi ..... firstly, I don't have either phone, the LG Optimus Dynamic or the Samsung s390g...

* But I think it's kind of universal on most androids that un-mounting/unlocking the SD card is done the same way.

* On the LG Optimus Dynamic, go to the: Settings -- then SD card and device storage -- then Unmount SD card.

* Anyway, see if that's the way it is on your LG Optimus Dynamic phone, and if that works for you? ... good luck. ;)

T u R k B-)

ST Dog

Turk
December 21, 2013, 12:56 am
* On the LG Optimus Dynamic, go to the: Settings -- then SD card and device storage -- then Unmount SD card.
Or just turn the phone off. Full power down long press of the power button, not sleep mode from a quick press of the button.

Now, if they are talking about physically removing the card, then press in a little and it'll click and pop out.
Same on the S390G.

Or, it could be like the LG 500G, where you have to open the back, possibly remove the battery, then slide the metal
cage to release it... Then it lifts up and the card come up. (put the cage back down and latch it without a card before
putting it all back together).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.