Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... Who would you like to see win the Baseball World Series?
Kansas City Royals
San Francisco Giants
I don't care who wins.
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) Samsung s390g Phone Topic
Topic Started: April 23, 2012, 5:12 am (32,912 Views)
Tarkio101

So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

Tarkio101's Complete Review/Compilation of previous posts regarding the Samsung S390G for Tracfone.

OK guys, I now have the phone in hand and am writing my impressions after almost a week of using the phone.

I think the phone is very good quality. It really has a nice weight and feel to it. The materials feel really nice, not cheap.
The keyboard feels like it is good quality. The keys have enough space that my average sized hands have no trouble
hitting the buttons I want. The way I gauge it is this--I find myself typing normally, and not constantly looking up at the
screen to see what letters I have hit... For me, when you can feel like you are hitting the right keys, and not constantly
feeling another key on the side of your finger or thumb, it feels good. When you hit a key, it feels like you got it. You can
feel it press and come back like one would expect. Some cheaper keyboards have a very rubbery feel. Not this one.

My initial impression was that the screen looked pretty crisp and clear, but nothing amazing. However, when I went
online, the graphics looked pretty crappy. That familiar old look phones used to have, before higher quality screens
and big bright touch screen phones came along... Now, I am not sure if it's entirely the screen, or the low amount of
data the phone is downloading thru the Tracfone's limited browser.

Now that I have Opera browser installed, I went into the advanced settings and upped the quality of the images
(it was set on the lowest setting by default fyi), and the screen appears to be of decent quality. The graphics, as
I described above, were the issue. Not the screen itself. Since I surf almost entirely on WiFi, I am not concerned
with how much data I am using, so I prefer the images to be of higher quality.

When watching the highest quality possible on a YouTube video (720p on the particular ones I tested) you can see the
screen has some limitations, as it is not quite as crisp as some higher quality screens. That is not surprising on a phone
at this price. However, the colors are really rich and full. I was never distracted by the screen when watching any videos.
I am merely saying that when I looked at with a critical eye, and held up a very expensive smart phone with a touch screen,
the difference was pretty obvious. However, I doubt any phone in this price range has a better screen. And many more
expensive phones are not this good.

The size of the screen is sufficient that you can see much of a webpage. Videos are large enough that you can see
what is happening etc. If you plan on surfing a lot, viewing photos, reading emails and such, this screen is a pleasure
to use compared to something like a flip phone or standard bar type phone... The screen is almost the exact size of
most Blackberrys, just to give you an idea. So, no huge touch screen, but not tiny like some basic phones have.

On WiFi, even using tracfones browser was fast. Seemed about like wifi on any other phone, or like a normal 3g
connection on a smart phone on decent network. The phone can be used with wifi before it is activated, however,
I was not able to download the Opera browser or other apps. It gave me a message that the phone must first be
activated to use that feature.

For those who have used a browser on a non touch screen phone, the little track pad below the screen will seem
almost like a touch screen itself (if that makes any sense) since the action is much more like using a touch screen
than the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate. Just that little pad made the phone seem pretty good to me, and
I am coming from my last three phones being touchscreens. It does take a little getting used to, and it is sensitive.

When first using the touch pad, you move a tiny bit and it sends the cursor flying all the way to the bottom, then back to
the top, etc. It does not work like a mouse on a computer in Tracfone's browser. It tends to move you from one clickable
item/link to the next. Not much fine touch is needed. In Opera, many sites allow the cursor the move anywhere, just like
a mouse on a computer... Lining it up correctly takes a little practice, but within a day of use most people should have it
down. Now that I have used it for a week, I navigate quite easily. It really is a pleasure to use, and in my opinion, one of
the best features of the phone.

My main complaint using the internet using Tracfone's browser it this--It breaks the page up into many different pages
that you must go thru. On one page I went to, a news site, on the top of the first page it said I was on page 1 of 7. I had
to click thru all of them, each one giving me only a little information. I am disappointed it did not provide one long page
that I could scroll thru. I hope opera mini does this. I will see. [Note, Opera does allow the phone to surf like any smart
phone does. It doesn't break pages up, it puts all of it on one page you can scroll down thru.]

Browsing with opera mini is nice. Youtube plays perfectly. I was using wifi, but am still glad the phones processor
seems to have plenty of power to allow streaming. With a good connection, the phone did nothing to slow it down
unnecessarily, to make the video take forever to load etc. ... Somehow I was worried that a relatively weak phone
may not handle large amounts of data well, regardless of the connection speed. I had no problems whatsoever.

I am not quite sure what the data rate is supposed to be on this phone. The couple of times I accidentally opened
the browser without using wifi, it seems to deduct odd amounts of units. It wasn't an even amount that I recognized,
like 1/2 or 1/3 of a unit, unless it just looked funny to me.

The phone has one touch email access. There is a very nice email set up wizard that walks you right thru it.
It's a nice touch. It's one of many nice touches the phone has. You can set the frequency for it to go online and
check for emails. It will use data doing so. So if you don't need email "pushed" you can simply use the browser
to go check manually.

Google maps works very well too. Even Street View. The only issue is that because Street View is using such
a huge amount of data, that it takes a a while to scroll around all 360 degrees... It's a very large picture there.
The phone has no trouble loading things that I can notice, but using them seemed to require a little patience
here and there. But nothing major. Considering it's not a smart phone and considering that the data volumes
required for something like Google maps street view, I forgive it.

I just tested a Google Maps search, not using WiFi. What I found was that I started opera mini, loaded the maps,
selected my location to start from, scrolled thru part of my city (making the map shift position and load more data),
searched for the trip and clicked on some details about it. It charged just under 2 minutes for that search, to give
you an example of data costs.

Then, I tested a quick search of a couple of pages on CNN's mobile website. I was online for a little over 2 minutes,
clicked on about 3 stories. It charged less than 1 minute. It came to .783 minutes.

I am curious to know exactly what data rate they are charging per KB? Just thought some of you may be interested
to know and don't want to risk many minutes figuring out how much the rates are. Even a few unscientific examples
can at least give you a ball park figure.

Conclusion:
I've been playing with the phone for a week now. My main impression is that the phone is very good quality, and
that it's really fast... On wifi or 3g, it's just fast compared to the pokey old Tracfones I've used in the past.

One of my main concerns was getting/keeping wifi connected. I've had no problems so far. Some cheap phones and
tablets have a bad habit of never being able to connect to wifi, even when it's there and working perfectly. Even when
every other device in the vicinity connects very easily. And sometimes they constantly drop the connection, over and
over. This phone connects easily and stays connected.

Another concern I had with lower end Samsung phones was them shutting down and rebooting all the time. The
Samsung t528 on straight talk had this issue big time, so I was afraid this one might too. Does not seem to be the
case. This phone has never shut down and rebooted once. So far so good.

Surfing is a pretty good experience for a non smart phone. I wish it were a little better, but it's better than any other
tracfone I've seen. Webpages format themselves pretty well.. Navigating with the trackpad is easy and works well.
It's very sensitive and takes some getting used to, but that's a good thing I have discovered. Once you develop the
touch, it's very nice. This is useful for navigation any screen on the the phone, not just using it online, btw.

I'm told I sound absolutely perfect to the person listening on the other end. One person told me I was extremely loud. lol
The speaker sounds good if you want to listen to some music without headphones.
I've already downloaded a streaming online radio app from Getjar and it plays very well over wifi.

The music player interface is really not very good compared to what I am used to. This is one area I really miss
the touchscreen. The controls are not convenient for me on this phone.. I am hoping to find an app somewhere
that gives me better controls.

I have downloaded a variety of apps from getjar.com and other sites. Some work well. Some do not work at all.
I experienced the same with my LG800g. The difference is, on this phone I can do all this testing over wifi, not over
the network. It's a lot less frustrating to find out an app does not work well when it was not only free, but free of data
costs to try. Simply delete and try another.

I hope my impressions of the phone can help some of you decide whether or not it is for you. I recommend it though.
Tracfone is stepping up their game with 3G and WiFi phones. Hopefully, this is the first of many great new Tracfones
to come.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

episodic

I hate to keep begging, but can someone post some full resolution pictures from the phone.

muddy211

Tarkio101, thanks for the great post, can't wait for mine to arrive!!!

ps: can someone give episodic his pics? .. lol...

loamhedge82

Anyone else having trouble getting Youtube to work over wifi? I've tried opera mini and the built-in browser, but it
just stays at "Connected", with a blank bar underneath it.. Strange thing is, I can control the volume on this screen
by scrolling up/down, but nothing plays.

If I connect earbuds to the jack and then disconnect them, it says "Try again" and briefly displays what I think might
be the video player, before going back to the web browser.. I'm stumped - everyone else seems to be able to get it
working with no issues at all...

Otherwise, this phone has exceeded my expectations. Guide to converting video for playback is coming soon.

And episodic, here are some photos from the S390G for your viewing pleasure.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

jez77

annepani,

It was the usb cable I was using ... I got a new cable (generic) and it worked for the S390g.
The one I used for the LG 800g still works for that phone too. Now each has their own cable!

Thanks for the assistance.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Tarkio101 ... thanks for your help on the phone so far, and for answering my questions about it, you posted a lot of
* good information up above, the best review on the internet, hands down!

* loamhedge82 .... thanks for posting the pictures, they look good ... seems like this phone has good camera quality.

* I see over on Net10.com that this phone is now available for sale .. price is $50 .. cheaper than I thought it would be.

* Net10.com Link: http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/net10/Start.do? .... you may have to scroll down to see it listed.

NETurk.com B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk
July 14, 2012, 3:50 pm
* I see over on Net10.com that this phone is now available for sale .. price is $50 .. cheaper than I thought it would be.
Well crud, if it's going for $50 on Net10, it will probably be $40 ($32 after BigCrumbs cashback) on TF, and I'll have
to consider moving up from my LG 800G. :(

Tarkio101

loamhedge82:

Anyone else having trouble getting Youtube to work over wifi? I've tried opera mini and the built-in browser, but it
just stays at "Connected", with a blank bar underneath it.. Strange thing is, I can control the volume on this screen

If I connect earbuds to the jack and then disconnect them, it says "Try again" and briefly displays what I think might
be the video player, before going back to the web browser.. I'm stumped - everyone else seems to be able to get it
I have not had this problem. I have had the opposite experience, in that, my Youtube player is working better
than on my very old android phone, which will barely ever even play a video.

Now, I have downloaded a youtube J2ME app that I open up and use, not going to youtube thru the browser.
I believe I got it from Getjar, although I do get apps from other sources as well... You may try downloading an
app and see if it works better... If you already have an app, then I don't know what to advise. I would assume
everything works well thru wifi?

loamhedge82

Tarkio101
July 14, 2012, 8:34 pm
loamhedge82:

I have not had this problem. I have had the opposite experience, in that, my Youtube player is working better
than on my very old android phone, which will barely ever even play a video.

Now, I have downloaded a youtube J2ME app that I open up and use, not going to youtube thru the browser.
I believe I got it from Getjar, although I do get apps from other sources as well... You may try downloading an
app and see if it works better... If you already have an app, then I don't know what to advise. I would assume
everything works well thru wifi?
Well, wifi works well except for downloading signed apps.. and youtube videos. :blink:

But I'm using my laptop as a hotspot/router for a wired connection; tried it today with a friend's router and youtube
streamed perfectly... I suppose I'll have to get a dedicated router for youtube to stream.

Lg500g1

Saw this on the NET10 page...

Posted Image

Tarkio101

For those interested, the Samsung web page for this phone has some pretty complete information:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-S390CSATFN

For example, this phone has a 520Mhz processor. This is pretty fast for a phone not running a complex OS like android.
A lot of lower end android phones only have an 800Mhz, but feel much slower when bogged down trying to run android.
Some low end androids even run 600Mhz. Needless to say, the feel very laggy and apps don't run well.
They are slow to boot up and to react when things like the camera are started.

Just another reason I am enjoying this phone. Pretty snappy performance.

TF Noob

Tarkio101
July 15, 2012, 5:35 pm
For those interested, the Samsung web page for this phone has some pretty complete information:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-S390CSATFN

For example, this phone has a 520Mhz processor. This is pretty fast for a phone not running a complex OS like android.
A lot of lower end android phones only have an 800Mhz, but feel much slower when bogged down trying to run android.
Some low end androids even run 600Mhz. Needless to say, the feel very laggy and apps don't run well.
They are slow to boot up and to react when things like the camera are started.

Just another reason I am enjoying this phone. Pretty snappy performance.
Hardware wise, it can go toe to toe with the BlackBerry Curves released back in 2010, which is kind of impressive
considering the price. I think HSN kind of fudged the truth by calling it a smartphone when it's really more of a high
end feature phone. I finally broke down and ordered one to replace my ailing LG 500G since the upcoming LG 530G
doesn't look that great in terms of features and battery life.

Tarkio101

I suppose there is a line between high end feature phone and low end smart phone somewhere... It's not really as
easy to draw as one would think. On one hand, windows phones, android and apple are smart phones. Blackberry
is much older than all of them (except primitive windows phones from long ago) but still lags behind in functionality
in many ways, but is still a smart phone. Then symbian phones from Nokia are kind of smart phones too, but not like
the top OS's to be sure. They have apps, most don't very high end specs, but lie somewhere in between. Kind of like
this phone. This samsung is as close it gets, if it's not a low end smartphone. Most importantly, I've had smartphones
and I FEEL like this is smartphone as well... My 2 cents...

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Has anyone here with this phone had it lose minutes for no reason? There have been several posts on the
Tracfone Facebook support page about their S390Gs losing minutes for no reason, a couple said they went
to bed and lost a bunch by the time they woke up. If it was just one or two I would suspect the browser connection
was still active but several sounds like a phone issue. TIA.

Side note: If anyone cares, the Net10 Samsung S390G is now on the Radio Shack web site:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13242134&filterName=Prepaid+carrier&filterValue=NET10

TF Noob

Tarkio101
July 18, 2012, 7:57 pm
I suppose there is a line between high end feature phone and low end smart phone somewhere... It's not really as
easy to draw as one would think. On one hand, windows phones, android and apple are smart phones. Blackberry
is much older than all of them (except primitive windows phones from long ago) but still lags behind in functionality
in many ways, but is still a smart phone. Then symbian phones from Nokia are kind of smart phones too, but not like
the top OS's to be sure. They have apps, most don't very high end specs, but lie somewhere in between. Kind of like
this phone. This samsung is as close it gets, if it's not a low end smartphone. Most importantly, I've had smartphones
and I FEEL like this is smartphone as well... My 2 cents...
I agree with you, but I feel like iPhones and Androids have drastically skewed expectations of what a smartphone
can do. A lot of people see the word smartphone and just assume it can compete with what are essentially phone
sized computers.

BobbyLee, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but it sounds like the email function might be the culprit. Once you set
up an account it will automatically check for new emails... The interval is adjustable but cannot be turned off and it
eats .5 units when it checks. If it is set to check every hour or half hour, you could easily burn through several minutes
overnight.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
The Net10 version of the S390G has vanished from Net10.com, but it can be had through Radio Shack’s site for the same $50.

Edit: the Samsung s390g is now back on Net10.com for sale for $50.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

TF Noob
July 19, 2012, 4:46 am
BobbyLee, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but it sounds like the email function might be the culprit. Once you set
up an account it will automatically check for new emails... The interval is adjustable but cannot be turned off and it
eats .5 units when it checks. If it is set to check every hour or half hour, you could easily burn through several minutes
overnight.
Thanks, I'm sure you're right about the email polling eating up the minutes. I didn't know it had polling and that you
couldn't turn the polling off once you set it up... I'll bet a lot of the complainers on Facebook have it set to check for
email as often as possible and obviously didn't make the connection. Thanks again for that information.. I'm not so
thrilled about the email app on this phone anymore. :(

Louise

BobbyLee
July 19, 2012, 1:03 pm
TF Noob
July 19, 2012, 4:46 am
BobbyLee, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but it sounds like the email function might be the culprit. Once you set
overnight.
Thanks, I'm sure you're right about the email polling eating up the minutes. I didn't know it had polling and that you
couldn't turn the polling off once you set it up... I'll bet a lot of the complainers on Facebook have it set to check for
email as often as possible and obviously didn't make the connection. Thanks again for that information. I'm not so
thrilled about the email app on this phone anymore. :(
If you don't want to "sync" your email, you can turn it off under the "auto sync" option under "receiving options".
However, then you will need to download everything manually whenever you want to get your emails. I've got
mine set to manual (auto sync "off") because I only want to download when my free wifi is on. I know this works
because I just downloaded some with wifi connected and viewed one from my inbox and was not charged any
minutes. I don't think you can send any email without using minutes (unless you go directly to your email account
while on wifi), but you can definitely download and check them free using the phone's email app if you're connected
to wifi.

I have a question for all you experts: when I try to view a video on youtube, I get a "not recognized transport" message
and can't view it. I've tried various vids and none of them worked. Have any of you heard of this problem and/or seen
a solution. From what I've read, a lot of people are able to view youtube videos (and other sites) with no problem. I am
using the stock browser, and AFAIK haven't changed any settings on it to stop me from viewing videos. I'd appreciate
any guidance you can give me. Thanks.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Louise
July 20, 2012, 2:33 am
If you don't want to "sync" your email, you can turn it off under the "auto sync" option under "receiving options".
However, then you will need to download everything manually whenever you want to get your emails. I've got
mine set to manual (auto sync "off") because I only want to download when my free wifi is on. I know this works
because I just downloaded some with wifi connected and viewed one from my inbox and was not charged any
minutes. I don't think you can send any email without using minutes (unless you go directly to your email account
while on wifi), but you can definitely download and check them free using the phone's email app if you're connected
to wifi.
That's what I was looking for, a way to turn email polling off. Who wants to be constantly losing minutes when
they hardly ever use their minutes like me. Thanks.

Louise
I have a question for all you experts: when I try to view a video on youtube, I get a "not recognized transport" message
and can't view it. I've tried various vids and none of them worked. Have any of you heard of this problem and/or seen
a solution. From what I've read, a lot of people are able to view youtube videos (and other sites) with no problem. I am
using the stock browser, and AFAIK haven't changed any settings on it to stop me from viewing videos. I'd appreciate
As for your questions about streaming YouTube videos, I don't have this phone yet but Tarkio101 seems to
have it working so maybe Tarkio101 will pop-in with some suggestions... There was a mention of having a
YouTube app from GetJar earlier in one of the posts. Good luck.

Louise

BobbyLee
July 20, 2012, 6:51 pm
Louise
As for your questions about streaming YouTube videos, I don't have this phone yet but Tarkio101 seems to
have it working so maybe Tarkio101 will pop-in with some suggestions... There was a mention of having a
YouTube app from GetJar earlier in one of the posts. Good luck.
I've actually tried a couple of versions of the YouTube app. On one I get the "transport not recognized" message.
On the other one it acts like it's going to connect, but then disconnects immediately. From what I can tell by googling,
it sounds like people with other Samsung have had the same problem, but I can't find anyone who had a solution.
I'm still waiting for Tracfone to send me an activation email to see if they have a solution.
If necessary, I'll just tell them to send me another phone as I got the $13 warranty from HSN. :)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Louise
July 20, 2012, 7:10 pm
I've actually tried a couple of versions of the YouTube app. On one I get the "transport not recognized" message.
On the other one it acts like it's going to connect, but then disconnects immediately. From what I can tell by googling,
it sounds like people with other Samsung have had the same problem, but I can't find anyone who had a solution.
I'm still waiting for Tracfone to send me an activation email to see if they have a solution.
If necessary, I'll just tell them to send me another phone as I got the $13 warranty from HSN. :)
Just wondering, you are getting the "transport not recognized" while your phone is connected to WiFi?
You're not trying to watch YouTube videos via the phone's data connection are you?

Louise

No, I was on wifi, not using minutes on the phone.

Tarkio101

How are you getting to youtube? Are you going to youtube thru google and letting it take you to the mobile
version of the site? While I do have Opera installed, I use my youtube app from getjar, so when I open it, it
automatically uses the native browser. So my thought is that it's not the browser itself.

I wish I had some ideas for you to try, but I can't think of anything... I've never heard of that message before, so
it's kind of mysterious. I assume you have googled that phrase to see if anything comes up on some forums or
websites out there. You can't be the only one (that's so helpful, I know). If I had to guess I would think it sounds
like a software issue, versus a hardware issue tho.

If I have some time I'll poke around online and see if I can find out something.
If anyone else discovers anything, let us know!

And for what it's worth, I have used youtube with the 3g connection, just to test it, and it worked fine.
So it doesn't sound like a connection issue either.

Louise

Thanks, Tarkio. I found a few other lost souls--both on this model and another Samsung phone-- who got the same
error message. From what I found it appears to be a java error message, short for "transport system not recognized."

I tried it both on 3g and on wifi, with the stock browser, with opera mini, with the UC browser, and with a couple
versions of You Tube app (one that downloaded and one that didn't).. So I knew it wasn't just the browser, or
operator error, and the message made me think it was just a glitchy phone where the software was a little off
because everything else seems to work fine.

Don't spend a lot of time researching it on my account. I appreciate it, but I just spent the last hour and a half plus
on the phone with Tracfone and they are sending me a new phone... Fingers crossed that there are no problems
with that one. It was funny. They tried to tell me that this track phone model doesn't play youtube videos. I told them
if they looked on the forums on their website (and HSN's and others) they would find out that people were playing
you tube videos on the same model phone with great success. Poor girl, I basically rudely interrupted her canned
spiel with "WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!" ... I was pretty polite after that, though. :D

They also had me try to download Flash Media Player again (because I couldn't play video anywhere online) and
Adobe gave me a "Sorry, but Adobe Flash Player is not available from Adobe.com for your device's operating system
or browser." I was thinking "Give me strength." Then they had me input a few codes. Nothing worked. But all's well
that ends well, assuming the new phone is OK. ^o)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Louise,
Funny, I've had to tell Tracfone how their phones really work more than once.
Glad they're sending you a new phone, let us know if that makes a difference please.

Tarkio101,
Thanks for chiming in, at least you have the phone in hand to answer questions. Is it worth getting?
I'm trying to decide if I'll drop my LG 800G for one.

Tarkio101

BobbyLee, I'm still not 100% decided if this is the phone for me or not. I also have the LG 800g. I really do like
this phone. It hasn't given me any reason not too. Seems like some phones are pretty good, and then 1 thing
just ruins it. Nothing like that here. Just not totally in love with it.

While I do like the keyboard a lot, I enjoy navigating a touch screen a lot more when not typing. Particularly when
using the phone online and using the mp3 function... I have a boring job, but am lucky enough to get to listen to
music during some of my day. On the touchscreen I could hit next song etc much easier. This phone usually has
to be picked up and held for me to line up the little icon. Not a huge deal (actually sounds very petty when I re-read
it. lol) but just feels like a step backwards from the touch screen.

Here's my ideal phone---A touch screen with a sliding keyboard, smart phone or not smart phone--each has its
pluses and minuses, but I can live with either one considering how much non-smartphones can do now. When
I have had android phones, they are fun and all, and I do miss not having Flash to watch streaming video easily.
However, there are just not many apps I really need or use. And as long as I have Wifi to go online (for free) and
3g available (for a cost) when I truly need it (especially for google maps, looking up a phone number, the occasional
important email, etc) I'm pretty easily satisfied.

The LG 800G is pretty good. With wifi it would be awesome. It really has just about everything I am looking for, but
without wifi I really can't justify using it as my only device. When I used it as my primary phone, I still carried my old,
non active android phone around to use on wifi. I like to read news etc while I am at lunch, and at work as my office
blocks most sites. The keyboard was also not very easy to use at all. The touch accuracy of the touchscreen is pretty
bad, but usable. And as having this Samsung phone has high lighted to me, any touch is still a different paradigm.

It's so hard to give advice about whether a phone would right for someone or not. By any standard, this is a really
good phone. High quality. Functions well. Doesn't have hiccups, shut downs, quirks etc that render it annoying to
the point of not wanting to use it. My advice to anyone is this--If you think you will like this phone, you probably will.

The wifi function is great for use Tracfoners, the keyboard, screen, functions, camera, navigating etc are all top notch
compared to Tracfones of the past. It doesn't lack much that the average Tracfone user will not love. I am coming from
being an Android user in the past, so I did get used to the touch screen, so it's an adjustment for me... But for almost
anyone not accustomed to touchscreens already, or who simply prefer a keyboard, this phone should easily exceed
your expectations.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tarkio101,

Thanks, that's a lot of good info... I think I'll end up getting it and use it for my GSM phone.

Your comments support the things I'm looking for and the things you're not thrilled about aren't things I would
have a problem with.

Never had a smart phone so everything they come out with is a step forward. :) .. Thanks again for the info.

TF Noob

Louise, thank you for the email info... That will come in handy for me later.
I tried researching your youtube problem but it doesn't look like there's really any solution short of exchanging it. :'(

Tarkio101's review was so thorough there really isn't much I could add to it. I will reiterate the earlier comments
about the physical build quality. There is absolutely nothing about this phone that feels cheap. From the keys to
the textured battery cover it just feels really good in your hand.

The web browsing is about as good as it gets without spending $150 or more on a phone with full HTML or
plugin support. I haven't had a chance to to mess around with the camera or multimedia functions because
I made the mistake of buying an LG branded data cable for my old LG 500g, which doesn't do anything but
charge non LG phones.

The only issue with this phone, and the s425g, is the expensive new 3G data rate. I can understand why it's
more expensive but I think five or six times the previous rate for 2.5G is excessive. Thanks to this forum I wasn't
blindsided by it, but make sure you understand how expensive the new rate is before taking the plunge.

Tarkio101

I sent a couple of MMS's as tests and it seemed very expensive, like 7 or 8 minutes for one pic... But Opera browser
uses less data than the native Tracfone browser. I am actually happy with the data rates from the few times I've used
the 3G.

The browsing actually is pretty decent on this phone. A few annoyances, but nothing major except lack of flash video.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tarkio101,

Just wondering, maybe I missed it earlier in this thread, how much does it charge you for a normal SMS text?

TF Noob

Tarkio101
July 23, 2012, 12:21 am
I sent a couple of MMS's as tests and it seemed very expensive, like 7 or 8 minutes for one pic... But Opera browser
uses less data than the native Tracfone browser. I am actually happy with the data rates from the few times I've used
the 3G.
The browsing actually is pretty decent on this phone. A few annoyances, but nothing major except lack of flash video.
It may not seem that bad for basic web browsing, but anything beyond that, like MMS, gets ridiculous in a hurry.
As a test I purchased one of their games and the data charges just for quickly navigating to it and downloading
the file (1MB) was 16 minutes on top of the purchase itself. Triple minutes and wifi help mitigate the pain on this
phone, but the owners of the upcoming 3G Tracfones without either won't be as lucky... I think they'll eventually
figure it out but the formula does need some tweaking.

I was actually impressed with the web browsing on this phone. The track pad makes scrolling around zoomed
in pages a breeze and text looks nice and clean.

BobbyLee, regular SMS texts are still the same .3 minute rate but everything else (MMS and browsing) charges
by the kb (kilobyte) instead of by the minute.

Tarkio101

I agree the MMS issue is major pain. My best advice to everyone would be to try and hold off sending pics until
you can connect to wifi if at all possible. Then, just email it to the person. You can even send to their phone thru
the MMS gateway used by their provider, assuming you know it. It's far from perfect, but saves money. If nothing
else, email it to their regular email address.

Personally, I very seldom use MMS, so if I really wanted to and it were timely, I would just eat it and pay the price.
However, if there were any way I could avoid it, I would just wait until I'm in wifi range, or transfer the pics to your
computer and email that way.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

TF Noob
July 23, 2012, 2:45 am
BobbyLee, regular SMS texts are still the same .3 minute rate but everything else (MMS and browsing) charges
by the kb (kilobyte) instead of by the minute.
Good, glad to hear that...
I use texting regularly, but seldom send any MMS messages, except to test the phone's capabilities.
I was afraid the SMS rate had been jacked up too... Thanks for the info.

adhdphonenut
Member Avatar

I've been a Net10 user for years, currently using the LG 900G, but I couldnt resist, and I just got on sale a Net10
Samsung R355c , but I'm wondering if I should take it back and invest in the Net10 Samsung S390G - I'm a heavy
talker/texter, occasional web/wifi user.

I noted the keys are small on the R355c (I haven't officially opened the box yet), and the key layout looks nice on
the pics of the S390G that I've seen. And now they're offering the S390G on Net10 for about 50 bucks, so I would
really love to hear some input as I grapple this over, and will not open the R355c until I get some wisdom from you
experts out there already using either the R355c or the S390g.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* adhdphonenut ... here is my 2 cents worth on your situation - and believe you me, it's only worth 2 cents, maybe 3. (lol)

* If you have good AT&T/T-Mobile coverage, I say take back the Samsung r355c and get the Samsung s390g, why not.

* If you have good Verizon coverage, and want Verizon coverage, then stay with the Samsung r355c.

* Some Radio Shacks are selling both phones, so if you have a Radio Shack near you, go there and see it in person?

* I was at a Radio Shack the other day and they had the Net10 display model out, but not any for sale yet, price $50.

* I thought it was a nice phone, glad to have seen it in person first, just may be Turk's next Turkberry phone!? ;)

Turkberry #1 B-)

adhdphonenut
Member Avatar

Thank you Turk, I've read with enthusiasm all the posts on here, especially phone discussions, and about the 390,
I'm going for it - I ordered one (a tracfone version) online at shopcelldeals since they were out of stock at my recent
trip to Radio Shack.

There is a wealth of knowledge here - I read your thread about the r355c so I went ahead and got one real cheap,
on ebay, but without even taking it out of the box, I think the keys are a bit small - my LG 900g keys are better.

I really like the layout of the keyboard on 390, so thats what I'm really looking forward to trying out. As well, I live in a
rural area, and coverage of any sort is spotty out here, but ATT is more reliable in my house than Verizon is, which is
where I need the most access.

I'm so glad I found this forum, and am glad you replied, thank you so much. :) Lynn

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* adhdphonenut .... you're welcome for the response ... and thanks for the Forum compliments. ;)
* Remember, if you like the phone, I get all credit -- if you don't like the phone, feel free to blame Tarkio101. (lol just joking)
* After you get the phone, and play with it, feel free to give us some pros and cons, thoughts and opinions ... thanks.

* I was at one of my Sears stores today, and look what I saw out for sale for the first time ever in stores...
* The new Net10 Samsung s390g -- prices was $50 -- the same price as Radio Shacks and Net10.com.
* I had my Hollywood Famous Turkberry (r355c) on me (the same phone Harrison Ford uses) so I took a few pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures provided by Turk and his Turkberry B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

I've been following some threads 'elsewhere', and based on some testing of the Tracfone Samsung S390G
some folks are reporting their data rates for 3G (internet and MMS messages) are working out to be around
1.5 units per 100K. Using Opera Mini (which compresses the web pages) saves a bunch versus trying to go
to normal web pages.

My question is, does this phone have the 300K limit on web pages or can you download a normal web page
if you're willing to pay the price because some reported going to a single web site costing them more than 20
units for less than a minute?

Hey AlecTrac... any comments on the rate issue, like what the official rates are using 3G on the Tracfone
Samsung S390G phones?

TF Noob

BobbyLee
July 31, 2012, 1:31 am
I've been following some threads 'elsewhere', and based on some testing of the Tracfone Samsung S390G
some folks are reporting their data rates for 3G (internet and MMS messages) are working out to be around
1.5 units per 100K. Using Opera Mini (which compresses the web pages) saves a bunch versus trying to go
to normal web pages.

My question is, does this phone have the 300K limit on web pages or can you download a normal web page
if you're willing to pay the price because some reported going to a single web site costing them more than 20
units for less than a minute?
It looks like it's just a question of whether the browser can render the page properly or not. Sometimes the default
browser will even give you the option to view the non mobile version of a site but it will warn you that the physical
size is so large that you may not be able to view it properly.

I've noticed a lot of posts 'elsewhere' trying to figure out how to view photos full screen on this phone. ... If you start
up the camera like you're going to take a picture and press the right soft key where it says "view" it will pull up your
photos in full screen; sliding left or right on the track pad will cycle through them. It will also pull up videos as a black
screen but you can just keep scrolling past them. I'll admit to being too lazy to register 'elsewhere' just to answer one
question so feel free to pass it on. ;)

nwtothis

Good Morning - I'm new to posting... Saw this phone on QVC this morning.

Samsung S390G Tracfone with 1400 Minutes, Triple Minutes for Life & Acc - featured price of $99,
4 easy pays $24.99 plus tax good until midnight tonight.

Bought it from HSN but returned it. I had just bought the LG 505C - which I really really love.
A replacement for my old LG 290C.

Cindy

Snoozer

Can you use the viber app on this phone through wifi?

Tarkio101

HSN is running a special today 7-31 with the s390g with 1200 minutes, case, charger etc for 99.99. But, right now
(not sure for how long, probably just today) they are offering 20 bucks cash back to spend at HSN... They also sell
Tracfone minutes incidentally. So if anyone takes advantage of this, you can use the the cash back for more minutes,
versus having to by something you don't need/won't use just to take advantage of the cash back.

Just an fyi in case anyone is on and sees this... It may be gone soon, so sorry if I noticed it too late.

tfuser19

Tarkio101,
I did not realize hsn.com sold Tracfone minutes. PITA to find the card, as searching "Tracfone" just lists phones.
You have to search "Tracfone prepaid" to see the card.

All I see is an overpriced 1 year / 400 minute card for $99.95 + $5.95 s/h. Have you ever seen that card listed at
a better price on hsn.com and did I miss any other TF airtime cards there?

They still have the Samsung S390G deal, but it's up to $119.95 and w/o the $20 off special.

loamhedge82

Samsung S390G – Video Conversion Tutorial

[For the full tutorial including MediaCoder setup, scroll down past the settings list.]

After much trial and error, these are the settings I've used to successfully convert my movies and videos for
playback on the S390G. If you already have a preferred video converter, just use the following settings.
Might need a little tweaking according to your specific converter, though. This phone also has a bug: if video
files are larger than 256 MB (~1:42:30 with my settings), playback past this point will begin stuttering, and
eventually terminate with an error message.
WORKAROUND: You'll need to split any movies longer than 1:42:30 into segments to avoid this.

[VIDEO]
Resolution:320x240
Container: MP4
Codec: H.264
Software Encoder: x264
Profile: Baseline
Level: 5.1
Preset: Medium
Tune: Film (or whatever you're transcoding)
Reference Frames: 10
Rate Mode: 2-pass
Video Bitrate: 256 Kbps

[AUDIO]
Format: LC-AAC
Sample Rate: Original from source
Target Bitrate: 96 Kbps

Now, for the full tutorial...
1. Download MediaCoder from http://www.mediacoderhq.com/download.htm; choose the version that is appropriate for your machine.
2. Unzip and install by clicking on the setup file. Make sure anything you want to include is checked.
3. After install finishes, run MediaCoder. A splash screen will display; don't go to the first time configuration wizard, just click the button that takes you to the main screen.
4. Set your output folder in the upper right hand corner of the screen (this is where your videos will end up after converting).
5. Click on “Video” tab in lower left of screen. Set Video Bitrate to 256 Kbps, Rate Mode to 2-pass, Format to H.264
6. x264 should have automatically been selected as the encoder. If not, select it, then on the right side, under “x264” tab, set Profile to Baseline, Level to 5.1, Preset to Medium, Ref. Frames to 10. Tune should be set to whatever you're converting.
7. Click on “Audio” tab in lower left of screen. Make sure Enabled is checked. Set Format to LC-AAC, Resample to Original. Make sure Auto Select is checked beside Encoder and Source.
8. On the right side, under “Nero Encoder” tab, set Rate Mode to Target Bitrate, and set the Bitrate to 96 Kbps.
9. Proceed to “Container” tab; select Container to MP4.
10. Proceed to “Picture” tab; check Resize and set to 320x240, make sure Aspect Ratio is set to Keep Pixel AR, set Crop to Crop to Fit.
11. In the next tab, “Sound”, Channels should be set to Stereo. If you feel the audio is too soft after transcoding, you can activate the Gain and increase the volume in this tab.
12. Proceed to “Time” tab; this is where you can split the video if longer than 1:42:30. Unfortunately, Split function is disabled right now, so you'll need to transcode those movies 2x, setting the Start Position and End Position appropriately to split into 1:42:30 length videos (or I just split into 1:40:00 segments).
13. If you wish to include subtitles, go to “Subtitle” tab to do so.
14. If you have an SSD like me and don't want MediaCoder to be writing to it during transcode, set the temp folder by going to File->Settings->Overall->Task->Working folder and changing it to a directory of your choice.
15. Your settings are now complete! To save them to be able to load later, go to File->Save as Preset.
16. Add video files to the queue by clicking “Add” button and navigating to your videos. “Add Folder Recursively” will add all videos in a folder AND its subfolders, though it's been flaky in my experience.
17. Finally, click “Start” button and let it do its thing! MediaCoder WILL by default consume 100% of your CPU as it transcodes, so it's best to do your converting when you're not using your PC. Also, about every 10 files a window will pop up asking for donations. The conversion will continue after 60 minutes, so just be patient or make the donation if you want to support the author.
18. Enjoy glorious H.264 video on your S390G! If you get “File has invalid contents” at first, just keep clicking play – it will eventually work.

Hope this tutorial has helped, and thanks for reading!

greg30127

My own experience with this phone (have been observing the thread). If I'm repeating something someone else has
said forgive me, but this was pointed out elsewhere and even the Net10 reps were unaware of this until I told them:

You can minimize the Net10 charges for picture messages in the following setting in the menu:

Settings - Application Settings - Message Settings - Multimedia Message - Auto Resize Image

Once you navigate through those, you'll see settings for No resize, 100k, 300k, and 600k. The phone by default
when you get it is set for 600k. This only resizes pics down to about 1000 pixels in size, so you'll be charged 2.5
minutes when you start to send, and up to nearly 7 more minutes after it sends the pic.

If you set it down to 300k, then the pics will be resized to around 700 pixels in size more or less, and you'll have
send/finished charges of approx. 2.5/3.5. Setting to 100k will send out pics around 350 pixels in size and charges
will be 2.5/1.5. If you're emailing a pic to be printed then leave it alone, but otherwise the smaller settings are fine
if you're just sending a pic to another phone or for web posting.

As everyone has said, data rates are excessive on 3G. I went to costco.com and just browsed 2 pages that had
product photos on them. Spent 3 minutes online... was charged 17 minutes for it. (!!).

My one glitch... I'm being charged .50 for each text sent/received. From what folks are saying it should be .3.
I called Net10 and they said my phone was "defective" but the rep sounded VERY inexperienced. If memory
serves, they can just give a series of codes to correct this, right? ... I guess I'll have to try on the phone again.

BWH

Thank You all for your lessons. I am having some issues, coming from a droid, learning the work a rounds. I can
not get this phone recognized by PC Studio, though I can access the SD card by both PC Studio and explorer.

Unfortunately this does not help with uploading contacts to the phone. I have tried the latest version and V1.5.1.
I have also tried Kies. V1.5.1 is the one I got the most success with but still not right. have any of you had success?
How are you moving your contacts if not? ... Thank You.

tfuser19

BWH,

Have you tried using Bluetooth from Droid --> S390G to move your contacts?

Since my old Tracfone contacts were on a SIM card, it was easy for me to move my contacts using my SIM card reader.

annepani

Hi greg30127,

"My one glitch... I'm being charged .50 for each text sent/received. From what folks are saying it should be .3.
I called Net10 and they said my phone was "defective" but the rep sounded VERY inexperienced. If memory
serves, they can just give a series of codes to correct this, right? ... I guess I'll have to try on the phone again
"

There is nothing wrong with the phone. The Net10 version of the phone charges .5 per text in and out which is
Net10's standard rate. The .3 per text in and out that "folks" are talking about is for the Tracfone version of the
phone and that is the standard rate for Tracfone... Both versions of the phone are charging correctly for SMS.

Check the Terms and Conditions or Terms of Service for both Net10 and Trac if you want to verify the charges.

BWH

tfuser19
August 10, 2012, 9:07 am
BWH,
Have you tried using Bluetooth from Droid -> S390G to move your contacts?
Since my old Tracone contacts were on a SIM card, it was easy for me to move my contacts using my SIM card reader.
Good thought, and yes I did try. though they could pair to each other apparently they couldn't connect, I tried
several times and got paired but not connected each time, I would assume because of differing OS's. I finally
gave up and am hand inputting the contacts. does anyone else find it ridiculous that Samsung PC Studio comes
on the phone but they provide no drivers for it. I contacted them and the reply was they don't support Tracfones.

They make the phones for Tracfone to sell but don't support them. Very odd... How long do you guess it would take
one of their programmers to make a driver for the phone. I doubt even an hour. Their website is also not very helpful
on this whole connectivity issue. After several hours I am still assuming that the "Kies" software is strictly an Android
phone OS software (guessing) and the Studio is a windows phone software. Not sure how these Java phones fit in.

So don't anyone waste their time with a PC connection beyond selecting "mass storage" for your connectivity setting
and using your computers OS to explore the SD card after hook up because I'm quite confident it is as good as you're
going to get. Still bugs me that there is the PC Studio option on the phone. Are any of you non Tracfone users able to
connect any deeper than the SD card... If so, maybe it's possible that you could query what driver is being used and
post it somewhere, grasping at straws here. In case you couldn't tell I'm fighting an "A" type personality and don't like
defeat.

I am curious how your sim card reader was used though. Did you copy your contacts from one sim to the other via
PC and then place it back in the phone?

greg30127

annepani
August 10, 2012, 9:43 am
Hi greg30127,

"My one glitch... I'm being charged .50 for each text sent/received. From what folks are saying it should be .3.
serves, they can just give a series of codes to correct this, right? ... I guess I'll have to try on the phone again
"

There is nothing wrong with the phone. The Net10 version of the phone charges .5 per text in and out which is
Net10's standard rate. The .3 per text in and out that "folks" are talking about is for the Tracfone version of the
phone and that is the standard rate for Tracfone... Both versions of the phone are charging correctly for SMS.

Check the Terms and Conditions or Terms of Service for both Net10 and Trac if you want to verify the charges.
Thanks for the info... The one time I tried calling Net10 about this, they said it was supposed to be .3, and then told
me my phone must be defective. Too bad their own people don't even know the difference between the Net10 and
Tracfone versions. But then they didn't even know about the settings for the picture messages that were causing the
large chargest, too. :unsure:

tfuser19

BWH
August 10, 2012, 11:01 pm
tfuser19
August 10, 2012, 9:07 am
BWH,
Have you tried using Bluetooth from Droid -> S390G to move your contacts?
Since my old Tracone contacts were on a SIM card, it was easy for me to move my contacts using my SIM card reader.
Good thought, and yes I did try. though they could pair to each other apparently they couldn't connect, I tried
several times and got paired but not connected each time, I would assume because of differing OS's. I finally
gave up and am hand inputting the contacts. does anyone else find it ridiculous that Samsung PC Studio comes
on the phone but they provide no drivers for it. I contacted them and the reply was they don't support Tracfones.
I am curious how your sim card reader was used though. Did you copy your contacts from one sim to the other
via PC and then place it back in the phone?
I'm guessing Tracfone pays Samsung some nominal fee to produce these phones, and probably Tracfone does
not want the phones to be connectable via Samsung PC Studio software because that's one more support head
ache for TF.

I tried installing some versions of that software a while back and quickly came to the conclusion that it was an
unnecessary black hole time sink for me to I could do what I needed to via USB, Bluetooth, or SIM card reader.

I can Bluetooth any combination between my S390G, LG 800g, car, and PC, so I don't think OS differences matter.

After your two phones Bluetooth paired to each other, did you go to the contact list and try and send a contact via
Bluetooth to the new phone? That works fine for me between S390G and LG 800G... Can you try between your
phones and PC or a different phone? Bluetoothing the contacts should work.

With the LG 800g, I could save the contact list to my microSD card, then USB it to my PC, edit it, then USB it back
to that LG 800g or a different one.

The way I used my SIM card reader was:
1. Put SIM card from old phone into reader and save contact list to a file on my PC
2. Replace SIM card in reader with new phone's card.
3. Read saved contact list file from PC to SIM card reader, then write contact list into SIM card contact list area.
4. Insert new SIM card into new phone and tweak contact list as necessary as some things such as contact group
setting may not come over correctly.

My advice is to that PC Studio black hole alone and proceed with one of the different options above which do work
so you can do funner things with your life :) .

tfuser19

I don't recall if it's posted in this thread or not, but the S390G browsing rate is 1 unit/67kb of data -- which is not
0.5 units / minute browser time as with other Tracfones.

Surfing to a site with a 299 kb image, for example, will result in ~4.5 units deducted within less than a minute of
browser time.

Tarkio101

Haven't been on here for a while... Sad to say, I have returned my Samsung S390G to HSN.
I am glad I purchased it and gave it a try though. I still think overall, it is the best Tracfone produced to date.

My main reason for returning it is the music player is not very easy to use without a touch screen. It's more of just
a quirk that I have have probably, but I do use the music player a lot and find it very inconvenient on this phone.
Since I use it more than any other feature, it is pretty important to me.

The web surfing via 3g was good, but expensive. Not actually getting any straight answer from Tracfone about data
rates leaves me feeling uneasy, but is not surprising considering the history of Tracfone service and support.

For now, I have returned to my LG 800g. I will wait and see if Tracfone releases a touch screen phone with wifi.
I don't care about a smart phone or having android, but I have become too accustomed to navigating by touch-
screen that it was tough to return to a keyboard. The physical keyboard was nice, but not enough of a plus for me
to keep it. And my 30 days was rapidly approaching.

If anyone has any questions, I'm still happy to try to answer... I did use the phone quite extensively.

TF Noob

tfuser19
August 11, 2012, 10:03 pm
I don't recall if it's posted in this thread or not, but the S390G browsing rate is 1 unit/67kb of data -- which is not
0.5 units / minute browser time as with other Tracfones.

Surfing to a site with a 299 kb image, for example, will result in ~4.5 units deducted within less than a minute of
browser time.
When the other 3G Tracfones start coming out, it will be interesting to see if the new data rate is the same on the
double and triple minute phones. It's a shame they botched their 3G roll out because it is an important step forward
for Tracfone.

Tarkio101, the FCC filing for the LG 840g did mention WiFi but who knows when it will show up.

Tarkio101

Lg 840g? ... Isn't that phone several years old already?

tfuser19

I bought two S390Gs from HSN.com. I've been using one, and bought the second in case a family member wanted
it, but they're quite happy with their LG 800gs.

Today I decide to try adding the 1500 minute/1year promo of the 2nd unactivated phone to one of the LG 800gs
using the HSN.com Tracfone promo activation phone number .... and it worked. The units/time showed up within
less than an hour.

millept

Did the LG 800G have TMFL already? ... Or was it added via the HSN Wireless Center PIN?

tfuser19

Good question ....... LG 800g already had triple minutes previously.

Now I wonder what would have happened if it did not have 3x before.

tfuser19

Dropping a copy in this thread too since it's related to S390G:

My Samsung S390G won't charge with certain LG chargers that work with our LG 800gs.

With this LG wall charger, the S390G will start charging for a few seconds then says the USB cables has been
disconnected. It stays in a cycle of doing this.

The output on the LG charger this happens with is 4.8 VDC / 0.4 A, while the working charger Samsung output
is 5.0 VDC / 0.7A.

So there's something non-standard here, I have not figured out what just yet, but since I have so many microUSB
chargers now, it's not a big deal.

LG battery is 900mAh/3.7V, while Samsung battery is 1000mAh/3.7V.

Sammy works fine with a LG 4.8V/1.0A charger I have.

===========
It appears to be related to the charger output current ...... so if anyone else is having charging issues with a
charger other than what came with the phone, check its output rating, as apparently all microUSB chargers
and cables appear to not be universally the same ..... Also, if anyone else can confirm similar behavior with
their S390G and other chargers, that would be interesting to know.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

I don't have the S390G, for one thing I was waiting to see if they fixed the rate issue. One of the TF reps asked
me if I could answer this question and I told him I'd find out from the folks that have the phone. Could someone
with the phone answer the questions so I can pass it along and keep them working to resolve this issue? TIA

TRACFONE'S QUESTION
"We have escalated this issue and we are still investigating on it. Do you know the exact message that will
appear on the second charge upon sending an MMS?
.. Other customers have mentioned that they will be
deducted 1.0 unit upon sending an MMS. After the MMS was sent, another message will appear that states
that they have been deducted 4.35 or 8.67. Can you provide me with the exact message?"

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Mine charged 5.385 for a 359k pic to be sent.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Thanks Sweeper, between your input and what Annepani gave me I've got it answered... Thanks again.

tfuser19

The formula for we came up with on another forum for the web browsing rate with the S390G appears to apply
to MMS messages too based.

Units charged = message size [kb] / 66.67 kb/unit

so you can send 66.67 kb / unit

I have an image on my phone: 346 kb
I sent it using MMS and was charged:

1.0 unit MMS cover charge
5.19 units for MMS message consisting of image: 346 kb/66.67 kb/unit
6.19 units total for this MMS message

Now, if we can just get Tracfone to admit this and fix the issue.

tfuser19

Anyone know if it's possible to block a phone number with this phone like I could do with my other Tracfones?

BWH

tfuser19
August 23, 2012, 4:39 pm
Anyone know if it's possible to block a phone number with this phone like I could do with my other Tracfones?
I can find no way to block a caller on the phone settings. And after researching it, Tracfone does not offer that as a
service. Maybe you could try adding you cell phone number to the national "do not call list" and see if that corrects
the issue. Tracfone suggests changing you number, not very convenient.

Tarkio101

Just don't answer the calls from that number.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I see over on Tracfone.com today that the Tracfone Samsung s390g is finally out for sale!

* The price is $50, same price as Net10's version ... hope it hits the stores soon!

* Website Link: http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?

* Ps: you may have to scroll down a little to see it on the bottom of the web page.. ;)

Turk.com B-)

tfuser19

BWH
August 25, 2012, 3:24 pm
I can find no way to block a caller on the phone settings. And after researching it, Tracfone does not offer that as a
service. Maybe you could try adding you cell phone number to the national "do not call list" and see if that corrects
the issue. Tracfone suggests changing you number, not very convenient.
What I'm referring to/looking for is not a Tracfone service.

No doubt, they don't want to prevent me from getting calls, because that's more money for them. :)

Rather, as I mentioned previously, it was a feature built into previous Tracfones I had. I could add a numbers
to a block list within the phone and any calls from numbers in that list would not even make the phone ring.

cutiegirl89
Member Avatar

I wanna get this phone at some point and I wanna ask a question, what type of SD cards work on this phone?

tfuser19

cutiegirl89
September 3, 2012, 11:07 pm
I wanna get this phone at some point and I wanna ask a question, what type of SD cards work on this phone?
Samsung specs states 32GB max. ... The 16GB microSD card in my S390G works just fine.

cutiegirl89
Member Avatar

tfuser19
September 4, 2012, 8:40 am
cutiegirl89
September 3, 2012, 11:07 pm
Samsung specs states 32GB max. ... The 16GB microSD card in my S390G works just fine.
Thanks for the answer. :) Because I really wanna take advantage of the triple minutes thing and plus I wanted a
phone that can handle a large capacity SD card for my music.

adhdphonenut
Member Avatar

I now have 2 - a Tracfone Samsung s390g, and Net10 version. I was entertaining switching completely over to TF
and ditching Net10 because my useage showed TF was cheaper. Well, since I found out from a Tracfone rep who
PMd me that transferring my Net10 # (my main contact phone) to my Tracfone s390g is going to be a pain, I guess
I'll just upgrade my LG 900G (since its almost out of airtime) to the Net10 version S390G I bought recently on sale
(couldn't resist it was on sale at Dollar General for $40, and I had a $5.00 DG coupon) but I haven't activated yet.

So now I can use the TF s390g (since I bought a bunch of minutes on it -- TF said they may get lost in the port) for
surfing the web and etc. as a backup # and I'll have 2 s390gs to manage (lol) Because This Gal Loves this Phone!

tfuser19

adhdphonenut,

How exactly did the Tracfone rep state that the Net10 to Tracfone port would be a pain? Transferring number can
be a bit of a pain, but not enough to make me want to have two activated phones when I only need one.

I like mine too, and have a second unactivated spare ........ I could not resist the HSN.com $100 deal back several
months ago, but the minutes/airtime from the second S390G have already been applied to another family members
phone.

So do you carry them both around at the same time, or how do you decide which one to take with you. ;)

Have you considered getting a third one as a backup to the backup since you love the S390G so much. :D
....... the rich owner of American Movil would appreciate that.

fpkwaile

Hey,
I just purchased this phone and was wondering if anyone else had problems installing Java apps of more than
1,000 kb. When I try to play those apps my phone tells me Java error, no memory. This is despite the fact I have
a ton of available memory on both the phone & the memory card. If anyone can help me figure this out, I would
greatly appreciate it.

adhdphonenut
Member Avatar

tfuser19,
Ultimately I decided to (in my ADHD way) return the Net10 S390G to Dollar General and exchange it for a
(backup, unactivated) LG 900G (since I really love both phones). And, move my existing Net10 phone # to
Tracfone S390G, since the minute plans make more sense pocketbook-wise at the moment.

I'm loving my Tracfone S390G, and this forum - You are a great resource here! ... Thanks. :)

Homura

Can anyone tell me how to create any extra storage for texting? My inbox is full and I do have a MicroSD Card.

tfuser19

Homura
September 13, 2012, 11:40 pm
Can anyone tell me how to create any extra storage for texting? My inbox is full and I do have a MicroSD Card.
This is not the answer you're looking for, but you only known way is to delete some of those old love notes. ;)
I've asked the question before. You can archive them off to a PC with a SIM card reader if you really have to
keep them, but that can be a PITA depend on how fast you accumulate them.

BTW, SIM can hold 30 text msgs, phone memory can hold 500 text msgs ... how many do you have in each memory?
You can move msgs between SIM and phone memory.

Homura

tfuser19
September 14, 2012, 5:22 pm
Homura
September 13, 2012, 11:40 pm
This is not the answer you're looking for, but you only known way is to delete some of those old love notes. ;)
I've asked the question before. You can archive them off to a PC with a SIM card reader if you really have to
keep them, but that can be a PITA depend on how fast you accumulate them.

BTW, SIM can hold 30 text msgs, phone memory can hold 500 text msgs ... how many do you have in each memory?
You can move msgs between SIM and phone memory.
Ok, thanks for the reply!

Tech
Member Avatar

Tarkio101
August 12, 2012, 12:06 am
For now, I have returned to my LG 800g. I will wait and see if Tracfone releases a touch screen phone with wifi.
Some Tracfone manuals for wifi touch screen devices.

LGL55C - http://www.lg.com/lgecs.downloadFile.ldwf?

LGL75C - http://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/

LGL85C - http://www.lg.com/lgecs.downloadFile.ldwf?DOC_ID

Tarkio101

Do you know if those phones are coming to Tracfone specifically, or one of the other Tracfone brands?
I have seen phones that mention Tracfone but are really for net10 or Straight Talk. If they are definitely
for Tracfone, does anyone know when they are coming out?

On a side note, I for one would be very happy if Net10 would allow their nicer phones to be on plans besides the
unlimited plan. That's just overkill for me, but I would love to be on the $25/750 minute plan with a wifi phone.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Tarkio101 .... nope, sorry, those are the Straight Talk android phones Tech mentioned in his post above.
* He probably just didn't know that, which is ok, but I just wanted to point that out before this goes any further.

* Tech .... sometimes Straight Talk uses "Tracfone" when referring to their phones, because it's all under "Tracfone Inc."
* I hate when they do that, because it always confuses people when they see that, then everyone jumps to conclusions.

* I wish Tracfone Inc. would specifically say: this phone is for Straight Talk - this one is for Net10 - this is one for Tracfone.
* Then everyone wouldn't be confused, or get excited, thinking a specific phone is coming to "Tracfone" when it isn't. :ermm:

Turk Talk B-)

Tarkio101

Thanks Turk.
Just looking at the phones mentioned, they didn't look like they would be coming to Tracfone.
I'm still waiting for that perfect phone... touchscreen plus wifi ... A Tracfoner can dream, can't he?

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
Tarkio101:

I'm still waiting for that perfect phone... touchscreen plus wifi ... A Tracfoner can dream, can't he?
* Keep dreamin' brother - keep dreamin' .... Wooooooooo! .... LOL .... just teasing ya.. ;)

* I say that a touchscreen phone + basic WiFi will eventually come out sometime down the road for Tracfone.

* I'm surprised it didn't come out already this year? ... I'm even more surprised no new touchscreens came out this year?
-----------------------
* I guess nothing has been done yet or changed about the high rates being charged for 3G on the Samsung s390g?
* I think that this is the way it's gonna be now for the new 3G Tracfones -- higher rates charged for faster speeds.

* I'm still thinking about maybe getting the s390g, but not right now, maybe after Christmas, I have the ex124g to use first.
* But, I do like to send pictures, and browse the web alittle ... but with those new high rates, I don't know, I just don't know...

Turk = 10G B-)

tfuser19

Turk
September 19, 2012, 12:11 am
* I guess nothing has been done yet or changed about the high rates being charged for 3G on the Samsung s390g?

* I think that this is the way it's gonna be now for the new 3G Tracfones -- higher rates charged for faster speeds.

* But, I do like to send pictures, and browse the web alittle ... but with those new high rates, I don't know, I just don't know...
Turk,

Yep, Tracfone said they escalated the charging issue, but of course weeks have gone by and every time I asked,
they were still working on it ......... sound's like they just filed it away.

If you surf sites that are light (not graphic intensive) while using 3G and do your heavy web use and picture sending
while Wifi connected, then this phone could work for you... I like mine a lot. Wish the screen size was bigger.

I still cannot find a skin made for this phone, but don't really need it yet, since I have two that came with the two
phones I bought at hsn.com. Last time I checked, hsn.com and qvc.com both had the S390G bundle for $100.

adhdphonenut
Member Avatar

Turk
September 17, 2012, 11:47 pm
* I wish Tracfone Inc. would specifically say: this phone is for Straight Talk - this one is for Net10 - this is one for Tracfone.
* Then everyone wouldn't be confused, or get excited, thinking a specific phone is coming to "Tracfone" when it isn't. :ermm:

Turk Talk B-)
I wish Tracfone, Net10, Straight Talk, and Safelink would all just quit being separate parts of the same Co and just
be one with a fantastic phone selection and airtime selection!

Tech
Member Avatar

Turk
September 17, 2012, 11:47 pm
* Tarkio101 .... nope, sorry, those are the Straight Talk android phones Tech mentioned in his post above.
* He probably just didn't know that, which is ok, but I just wanted to point that out before this goes any further.

* Tech .... sometimes Straight Talk uses "Tracfone" when referring to their phones, because it's all under "Tracfone Inc."
* I hate when they do that, because it always confuses people when they see that, then everyone jumps to conclusions.

Turk Talk B-)
Scwewy, ain't it? ... Or is it growth, I think they call it... :unsure:

Tarkio101

Even though the Samsung was far better than any previous Tracfone, I'm glad I returned mine.. It's better to do so,
than sit and use a phone that doesn't do it for you. Even tho I'm sill using the 800g with no wifi, I'm still glad I didn't
spend the money for a phone that doesn't cut it. I may not be their typical customer, but I still have my needs.

I really think I'm going to switch to a company like Platinumtel, because they use the sprint network and offer a wide
variety of plans on the same phone, by the minute, hybrid, or unlimited. Tracfone/Net10/StraighTalk makes you buy
a different phone based on your current needs. Others let you choose more freely.

adhdphonenut
Member Avatar

Using the S390G update... I don't know, was loving it, but now the message thing is irritating me, when I use the
trackpad it goes crazy and jumps all over my messages list in my inbox, I can't seem to control it, its really touchy.

Also the thing about the space bar, when I get to texting fast, its really annoying that the center of the space bar
inserts the period. I'm trying to be conscious of pressing the spacebar on the edges to avoid that, but it is a pain
really, other than that, I'm hanging in there with this phone for now.

annepani

I'm glad I got rid of mine too. The S390g is a nice idea but the actual phone is not so great.

Same for the LG 505C. I had high hopes for it but the phone was a disappointment.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I was thinking about maybe getting this phone after the new year, if no new CDMA phones came along I would like.
* Even though I never owned it, there was nothing I didn't like about, it was the type of phone I'd want (blackberry stye).

* The WiFi wasn't gonna be the selling point for me, I didn't care if it had it or not, I don't really need WiFi right now.
* But I do prefer CDMA phones over GSM phones, and if this phone was CDMA, I'd have it in my hand right now! (lol)

* With the Samsung s380c & LG 840g coming out down the road, I am probably gonna pass on this phone altogether.
* I'll probably now go with the Samsung s380c because it is CDMA + blackberry style, unless the LG 840g is awesome! (lol)

* I'm just surprised the Tracfone s390g hasn't hit stores yet, but the Net10 s390g has been out for about 2 months now!?
* So until the new Samsung s380c & LG 840g come along, I will use my Motorola ex124g I got from Tracfone.com. ;)

T U R K B-)

tfuser19

Turk
September 26, 2012, 12:23 am
* But I do prefer CDMA phones over GSM phones, and if this phone was CDMA, I'd have it in my hand right now! (lol)
Turk,
What are the advantages of a CDMA phone over a GSM phone that makes you prefer the CDMA phone?

tfuser19

Opera Mini 7 seems to be a bit sluggish compared to UC Browser.

For anyone interested in installing the signed version of this Chinese made mobile browser:

Using Opera Mini 7 via Wifi (to save units), go to: http://www.ucweb.com/English/UCbrowser/platform.html?platform=java

and bookmark this link. While using Wifi, look for the link: "Signed version for Java", which you will come back and
click using 3G. You will have to zoom in on these pages, since they are non-mobile. Once you have your bookmark,
the exit Wifi, and go to that page with Opera Mini via 3G. When you click on the "Signed version for Java", the native
browser will be used to install the signed version 8.6 UC.

When I tried doing the entire install using the native browser, my native browser crashed and I had to power cycle the phone.

BTW, my little piglet consumed about 7 units doing the UC install.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
tfuser19
September 27, 2012, 11:19 am
Turk
September 26, 2012, 12:23 am
Turk, What are the advantages of a CDMA phone over a GSM phone that makes you prefer the CDMA phone?
* tfuser19 .... well, here in PA, AT&T is good ... but Verizon is great!
* The state of PA has a lot of woods and hills and valleys ... with AT&T I get about 99% coverage wherever I go...

* But, with Verizon, I get 100% coverage wherever I go ... I never been anywhere without coverage using Verizon.
* However, I have been to a few places here and there that I had no (zero) coverage with AT&T (need more towers).

* I do like the s390g, so being GSM (AT&T), I think it's a good phone to have for myself ... if it was CDMA (Verizon),
* I think it would be a great phone to have for myself. (lol)

* Around here (PA), most people use Verizon ..... so basically it's a "coverage thing" ... not a "phone thing".. ;)

Turkizon B-)

tfuser19

Turk,
Makes sense that you'd prefer the CDMA phone based on what you wrote.

If they come out with a CDMA Tracfone that has all the features of my S390G and more, I'll consider trying CDMA.

varmint
Member Avatar

Bought this phone 9/18/2012 from Amazon for $38.99 + free shipping if you are a Prime member. Phone has triple
minutes for life. So far it works well and seems to be well suited for text messaging... Downloads from TRACFONE
are limited to tones and graphics. The phone is Wi-Fi enabled so you can browse without using minutes.

Would like to know if anyone has had any luck installing a different browser, the one it comes with does not seem to
work with many sites.

tfuser19

varmint,
Within this thread, read back a few post on installing the Chinese made UC browser which in my and other
people opinions is better than the built in browser and better than Opera Mini in many ways.

qvc.com has a better deal on this phone - $108 shipped includes what you got plus 1 year/1400 minutes, car
charger, and skin - so if you recommend the phone, tell people about the qvc.com deal.

techno1210
angel1023
Hi guys, I'm new here, and if anyone has this phone does it ever freeze up?

Mine did once, and I had to remove the battery and put it back in.

kge161

I bought mine Sept 20, transferred number and minutes from my Motorola W376g and had 6 days before my
S390g completely froze. Hard boot didn't work so Tracfone sent me a replacement S390g. A little bit of a pain
getting the new one up and running, but OK now. Today is day 6 with the new phone and so far so good.

I really like this phone. My fear was it would not be as good as the W376G at getting a signal, but the S390G
kicks butt at signal grabbing. Places where I had no signal (rural Central PA) with the w376g I now get 4 bars
with the S390g.

zombie

Price Drop Alert... now down to $32 new on ebay with TMFL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Samsung-S390G-with-Triple-Minutes-for-Life-Tracfone-/140789859604

cutiegirl89
Member Avatar

I wanna ask a question, can this phone upload photos to websites?

I had a lg 900g that could only upload to the native facebook and I wonder if it's similar to that.

If it can't, are there other phones that can?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.