Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... Who would you like to see win the Baseball World Series?
Kansas City Royals
San Francisco Giants
I don't care who wins.
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Tracfone) LG 420g Phone Topic
Topic Started: April 30, 2010, 12:35 am (9,858 Views)
BobbyLee
Member Avatar

So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks.

sdot,
The batteries for the LG420G (LGIP-430A 900 mAh), LG231C (LGIP-430A 900 mAh), LG220C (LGIP-431A 800 mAh),
LG 500G (LGIP-531A 950 mAh), and the LG 501C (LGIP-531A 950 mAh) are all interchangeable.
I'm not sure but I think the LG 100C is also interchangeable, maybe someone who has that phone could chime in?

Find a cheap Tracfone/Net10 phone on sale/clearance and buy it for the battery, that's what I do.
Then you have an original OEM battery, a backup phone, and a second charger too.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KLM
Member Avatar

In dealing with batteries and stuff that goes in them for decades, I find that if by example the 'standard' battery
is 900mAH, but then some outfits you never heard of start selling 'replacements' that are 950mAH, it's usually
a re-packaging gimmick, and folks fall for it.

Nickel-Metals with the range of capacities you see on the store shelves are a gimmick. (2250MaH versus 2450mAH).
I've run bench tests over the years and you can't tell the difference between batteries that are very close in capacity.
But what I found was they often don't come close to specifications.

With Lithium, for safety reasons they only put a limited amount of in a given amount of space. They never fill the
battery full of goop. If you want a higher capacity, the battery must physically be bigger. This why you never see
a lithium battery with 2x the capacity over the standard battery in the same size.

A chip inside the battery casing decides when it is empty and full. However in reality the battery is never really run
down or at max capacity- ever. If it were allowed to just keep charging without a control chip, the battery would keep
charging, then get hot real fast then detonate.

Back to sdots post - I hope a replacement battery does the trick for you. I just had a friend who has a LG 420G,
and after just a few months the charge lasted significantly less. He sent it back to Tracfone as it was still under
warranty, and got an other LG 420G.

In reference to BobbyLee's post, watch out on the LG 500G (LGIP-531A 950 mAh) battery. As I sated above,
a noticeable increase in Ampacity means you need to make the battery bigger for lithium's. And as so, that
battery is thicker by a bit than the battery for the LG 420G.

Though the LG 500G's battery will fit the LG 420G, I found it hard to get the 500's battery back out when I tried it
a couple weeks ago.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

KLM
September 23, 2011, 10:58 pm
Though the LG 500G's battery will fit the LG 420G, I found it hard to get the 500's battery back out when
I tried it a couple weeks ago.
KLM,
You're right, it worked fine in the phone but it was a tighter fit.

KLM
Member Avatar

Glad I got a confirmation on this BobbyLee.

I put the 500 battery in the 420g okay, but just about could not get it back out.
I was bout to mash the phone like they did in Warehouse 13 - The 40th floor!

marne
Member Avatar

So happy to see this thread "still a rollen".
Been quite busy all summer and just now paid a visit to find valuable info I treasure posted here.

I often wondered about the battery what and where to buy etc. and here you fine people have posted info on it.

I am so pleased with my Tracfone (4 months) for my use and happy I made the switch.
I have been told it sounds sharp and clear from people I have called.

Does anyone here know how long I can go without charging if phone is not turned on for a long period and
rules to follow on when best to charge?

I wish it had a meter to show state of battery in segments. Seems it shows ½ only just before it conks out?

Thanks

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

marne
October 22, 2011, 6:14 am
Does anyone here know how long I can go without charging if phone is not turned on for a long period
and rules to follow on when best to charge?

I wish it had a meter to show state of battery in segments. Seems it shows ½ only just before it conks out?
marne,
Well, I can't tell you anything about how long it holds its charge while off because my wife never kept it off for any
length of time. As for when it is on, my wife's LG 420G only lasted 3 to 4 days here at our house (which is on the
fringe of AT&T coverage with a really weak signal) but when she would go home to visit her relatives (in a really
strong AT&T coverage area) it lasted nearly the entire two week stay on a single charge. Also depends on how
much you talk on it. The wife just recharged her's whenever it dropped from full and it lasted about a year and a
half before we upgraded her to the LG 800G which she likes a lot more. Her LG 800G also seems to have better
reception and more bars than her LG 420G was getting, just FYI.

KLM
Member Avatar

I don't use my LG 420G except for technical support questions these days. :)

It stays off for months and months. It has power when I turn it on after all that time and full bars too.
The phone sip on the battery while it is off but it in the micro-Amps. I've got the equipment to measure
it but really, you've got months and months.

Recommended charging habit. Just charge it when you feel like is is the simplest answer. With the type
of battery used and the controller inside the battery itself that keeps track of the charge/discharge rate,
the user does not need to exercise the battery for maintenance, like with some other battery types.

Also, with the 420G, it does no good to leave the charger just hooked up while not in use.
Once the battery is charged the phone refuses power from an external source.

Battery life measured after the 3rd charge:
9 days 23 hours 0 min. to low battery warning... In that time 3 texts were sent, 4 texts received, 0 calls,
played with menus and check status (15 minutes worth total), 2 minutes of bluetooth, no pictures taken.

Though the battery gauge has no individual segments it will change in 1/3 steps. I still refer to them as 'bars'.

On the 4th recharge of a new battery I observed:

- From a full charge, it took 3 days and 22 hours on standby to drop down to '2 bars'.

- To go from full charge down to 1 bar on standby took 9 days and 40 minutes.

- From the time it went from 1 bar to low battery warning was about 6 hours.

Hope some of this helps.

marne
Member Avatar

Thank you both for your replies .... Very much appreciated.

marne
Member Avatar

I have not added minutes or anything since I got my phone to learn how etc.

I have some messages on it from Tracfone if someone would be so kind to tell me what to do with them and when?
I have the LG 420g 1 year service double minutes.

1. Best Value! The 450 Minutes Card + your Double Minute benefit, gets u 900 total minutes.

2. New Customer Special! Add a 1 Year card and get 600 Total minutes when using promo code ----.

3. 400 minutes, 400 bonus minutes, 365 days added. Enjoy! (This one just came the other day)

Thanks

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
marne:

I have not added minutes or anything since I got my phone to learn how etc.

I have some messages on it from Tracfone if someone would be so kind to tell me what to do with them and when?
I have the LG 420g 1 year service double minutes.

1. Best Value! The 450 Minutes Card + your Double Minute benefit, gets u 900 total minutes.

2. New Customer Special! Add a 1 Year card and get 600 Total minutes when using promo code ----.

3. 400 minutes, 400 bonus minutes, 365 days added. Enjoy! (This one just came the other day) ..... Thanks
* marne .... hi, I'll try and answer your question the best I can...

* If you already have around one year of service on your LG 420g phone, and enough minutes for now...
* I would say to just delete those text messages from Tracfone ... most people get those same text messages.

* Just come back when you need either service days or minutes for your phone and we'll try and help you then.
* I have the Holy Scroll (Tracfone Promotion Codes list) on here, and we have all the best codes going today.

* So, if you don't need time or minutes yet, just go ahead and delete those text messages from your phone.. ;)

Turk B-)

marne
Member Avatar

Thank you so much for replying.

I am sorry for not being able to be able to figure things out as to the how's and what's as the older
I get, what used to be easy, seems harder. (ability to think and figure things out) :unsure:

Thanks again.

LunchMeat
Member Avatar

LG 420g Recently Used numbers [Messages | Create Message | Message - Press Add with the cursor in the
To: field | Select Recently used] appears to hold 19 entries.

One workaround to erasing the entries might be to provide obscurity: Enter your own phone number 5 times in
the To: field of a new message with no content and send the message. Do this 4 times and get charged .3 mins
for each recipient (6 min total)... Then throw the phone away. Or smash it which would be a lot more fun. :)

I have not tested it because I don't harbor that level of paranoia but this being the holiday season and what with
all the out-of-town company invading your space, it might be a welcome relief to give this a shot.

Enjoy ;)

KLM
Member Avatar

That's a good idea on flooding entries with another number repeatedly.

Folks ask about how to clean 'em out, so now we know where to point them. :)

roadworker

Hi, I am a first time Tracfone customer on any prepaid phone company.

I seem to be getting these voice mail messages from advertisement which is costing me airtime when I get them.

1) What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Also, I have the LG 420g flip phone with double minutes, if I want to get another Tracfone, can I use my same number?

Thanks all

tfuser19

Blocking calls varies by model.

Read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5006893_block-incoming-phone-numbers-tracfones.html
and scroll down to the comments for LG 420G on that page.

You can "port" your number to any other phone by calling the new provider (Tracfone in this case).

AKmaro1
Member Avatar

Or and easier fix is do what I do. Call your cell phone # (with the phone off) from a landline phone, enter your
pin #, and play them back that way... That way, it eats up zero time on your cell phone. ;) B-)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

roadworker
December 28, 2011, 5:20 pm
Hi, I am a first time Tracfone customer on any prepaid phone company.

I seem to be getting these voice mail messages from advertisement which is costing me airtime when I get them.

1) What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Also, I have the LG 420g flip phone with double minutes, if I want to get another Tracfone, can I use my same number?

Thanks all
What I do is set CALL REJECT on and set it to ALL UNKNOWN CALLERS. [MENU/SETTINGS/CALL/COMMON
SETTINGS/CALL REJECT / then set the slide switch to ON (it will be blue, with an "I" in the middle) / then tap
REJECT LIST/ and choose ALL UNKNOWN CALLERS] I think with this setting, you won't even get a voice mail.
This still lets your other contacts call you.

sadi85
Member Avatar

I'm planning to get a 420g or 620g on Straight Talk (I'm currently using a Samsung R355c) because I could use
some apps like gmail and opera mini, but after reading this post, I'm a bit confused... Can I install Opera Mini or
Gmail (Java) app directly on the 620g? I tried to install them on 420g without the a fore mentioned modification
and failed.

annepani

sadi85
January 5, 2012, 6:13 am
I'm planning to get a 420g or 620g on Straight Talk (I'm currently using a Samsung R355c) because I could use
some apps like gmail and opera mini, but after reading this post, I'm a bit confused... Can I install Opera Mini or
Gmail (Java) app directly on the 620g? I tried to install them on 420g without the a fore mentioned modification
and failed.
You really should be posting this in the Straight Talk forum.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
annepani:

sadi85:

and failed.
You really should be posting this in the Straight Talk forum.
* That's ok this question was asked here ... if someone can answer it, I'd appreciate it, and we can move on.
* Plus, I can always move it myself to the other Forum down the road... after it is answered of course .. ;)

T u B-) r K

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi sadi85,

While I to not have an LG 620G to answer your question, I did google around for about 25 minutes.
I looked at forums for discussions and only came up with one person asking about installing Opera
Mini and the answer was yes, but there was no details, and no reference to straight talk, or if they
actually owned the phone. So Not a lot of confidence on this matter.

You will see a lot of sites that says download games for xxxxxx (every) phone but those are just lures,
so can't go by those sites either.

Instruction manual is useless of course.

So with out any visible guinea pigs out there, I don't know if you can install an app directly to the LG620G,
or if it requires file modification (like the LG420G as you mentioned) for it to work.

The thing with the LG 420G (Tracfone model) requiring modifying the file prior to install so it will work was
something that Tracfone pulled, to try and stop you from obtaining apps from anywhere but Tracfones web
$ite.

As far as an LG 420G used on Straight Talk as opposed to Tracfone, I can't advise if they have de-crippled
it or not and wouldn't trust America Movil to do so. I've looked on other forums and I just don't see reference
to this either.

sadi85
Member Avatar

Thanks KLM, hopefully I'll be testing the 420g on ST next month... If I find anything interesting I'll post it in the forums.

janlafata

I have the LG 420G and everything was working fine with my Bluetooth setup on Windows 7 x 64. I successfully
sent a picture over from the phone to my hard drive. Now I've got some more pics to transfer and every time I go
through all of the prompts on the phone, after hitting send, I get a "disconnected" notice.

I can also tell you that I have a cable connection and in my Network and Sharing Center under "Change Adapter
Settings" listed is my NIC and everything is fine there and the Bluetooth device, but it has a red X and "Not
Connected" message. If I then click on the icon under "Devices And Printers" and "View Bluetooth Personal Area
Network Devices, nothing is there, yet if I go to "Control Panel" "Hardware and Sound" and "Devices and Printers"
the LG phone is in there.

Finally I checked in "Services" and Bluetooth is running, plus Bluetooth is in my system tray and "Device Manager"
and both are working properly.

I'm stumped!
Jan LaFata

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi janlafata back for more eh?

I still have my 420, but I don't have the same operating system, BT software or BT dongle as you, so I don't have
a direct solution. But I will share with what I have found on my end to where I can experience the same LG420G
'Disconnected' once I 'send' to PC.

In my lashup (XP with a generic Broadcom BT driver):

- Bluetooth on my PC's side must be told to 'receive a file', and then the PC will tell me it is waiting.
I then go to my phone and send a.

- If I tell my 420 to send more than one file at a time, the first file will transfer to PC but after that the
420 says 'Disconnected'.

So I guess when my PC says receive a file, it means one, not multiple. :)

- Now, I can tell the 420 to send multiple files at once and have them in que at least. In my case, the phone
successfully sends the first file of many, then says disconnected... It then asks if I want to retry (sending the
next file). Once I tell my PC to receive a(nother) file I hit retry on the phone.

- I have some immensely bloated software that came with my BT dongle that I refuse to install. But I can
isolate the drivers from it, etc. When I use those drivers, I am able to actually explore the contents of the
phone and sending multiple files works like you expect (not one at a time).

So janlafata you said you transferred a picture and it worked. Are you now trying to send more than one at a
time and experiencing the disconnects? Try sending just one to see if your lashup is still good.

I don't keep up much with BT as I have no use for it, but in readings past, devices/software/lashups just don't
support multiple transfers or file exploration and some do it all. As you see, depending on which drivers/software
I use I can have two different worlds.

Check things out and do let us know what you find janlafata.

KLM

janlafata

Well, once again I put my foot in my mouth before I spoke...

Right after I posted my thread about Bluetooth not working, I thought I try something. Apparently when I re-formated
a few months ago, windows installed the basic software for Bluetooth, but apparently I must have forgot to load the
software on the little mini Bluetooth disc...And that did the trick. Everything's fine now!

But once again, thanks for being there for me. I'm sure I'll be back with something else in the future.

Great job you guys do! .......... Jan LaFata

KLM
Member Avatar

Document that. ;)

Glad you got it all worked out janlafata... Now that you installed support beyond the basic driver, it should make it
easy to BT file explore on the phone as well.

It's interesting that Win7 still keeps BT support basic. No need to upgrade the computer I used for BT file transfers. :D

KLM

roadworker

This is my first time using Tracfone service... so can someone tell me is if there a way to block in coming text
messages on phone calls? (from #'s I do not know)?

Every day I get at least 2 text messages and calls from unknown numbers... I am using a LG 420G phone for now.

Thanks for any info.

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi roadworker and welcome to the Turk Forums!

Officially, there is no way to block incoming text or calls. That would not make Tracfone any money if they did. ;)

I'd call Tracfone and tell them you want another number as that one as been 'over used', but the next number
you'd get would probably be more of the same.

There is something you can do about text, as far as trying to avoid getting charged for them at least.
See post #6 of this thread for details. I would also ad to that post,that I think only one of the volume buttons works
on this trick, so you'd have to try it.

And, while you can't block calls, here area few options to help you not be bothered by them...

**Note: I would post a link directly to BobbyLee's post on the matter but, the Turks forums has been re-organized
the awesome organizer himself so many times, that I have no idea where the source of this is now, though I did
spend at least one minute looking first. So here's the reprint:

How to block calls when you cant really block them:

One Option: You could save the numbers as a contact and give them a silent ringtone so it won't ring when they call.
Do a voice recording of 15 seconds of silence, save it, and then assign it to those numbers you don't want to ring.

Second Option: If it is the same few numbers all the time you could save them first as contacts and then into a group
and then use Call Reject to block that entire group of numbers. That will divert the calls in that group directly to voice
mail without ringing the phone at all... I do that with all the debt collectors that are after the last owner of my number.

To get to Call Reject you go Menu>Settings>Call>Call Reject and in the options select reject group and then select
the group you created.

Side note: When I save these idiots as contacts I usually call them .Reject1, .Reject2, so they are on the bottom of
my contacts list and I put them in a group called .Rejects so that group is the last on my list of groups... Then I just
call reject the .Reject group.
- - - - - - -
Okay roadworker, hope that helps... I no longer have my LG 420g activated, so I can't test anything, etc.

KLM

New PCUser

Jar Games and Apps for LG 420G?

Now that I have successfully added Opera Mini (4.4) on my TracFone LG 420G, I would like to also add
a few games, and maybe an appropriate app, too, with the small remaining MB of space I have left in the
Phone Common area (much of the memory is currently consumed by stored pictures).

I have gone to some websites offering jar files of games and apps which I would have to compress to give
them a chance to run on my TracFone.

A few questions ....... The games described on a few sites say "ad-sponsored."

Can a game be installed so that it is not running off the server, that is, interacting online with the web?
I'd like to, if possible, download (install via bluetooth) the program so I can use it without running up call
minutes. And if I were running the game offline, would there not be a limited number of ads, maybe just
at the beginning and closing out of the program, if any at all?

Ideally, I'd like to try out a few free games (the "free" ones I have viewed so far also describe themselves
as being "ad-sponsored"), before considering paying for one, given the limitations of the LG 420G.
The only one of the two games that came with the phone that I would spend any time with is Soduku.
That game is listed as an application and I assume is played offline, not using up call minutes.

I assume some apps would not require connection to a server and could be used offline.

Since I am new at this, I do not know how these compressed jar files work that get put on the phone
(in terms of using up call minutes). I know that Opera Mini can be launched offline to the opening page,
but connecting to the internet via its browser involves call minutes/units being used just like the TracFone
mobile browser being used.

The LG 420G uses J2ME and the use of only a SIM card. There is a maximum memory of about 9 MB of
space in the Phone Common memory. Some of the games I looked at list what appears to be an installation
or download (??) size of so many kb. What is that number equivalent to when the file is actually put on the
TracFone? I would use a compression program such as 7-ZIP when transferring the file from my computer
to the cellphone.

Some jar sites give a code ID to enter when going to their equivalent website which may begin with the letter "m."
What is the procedure to do this and still have the cellphone be able to compress the file? I think the "convenient"
code description might be given for those users who have higher end cellphones with separate memory cards
which can hold much larger amounts of data for storage and memory vs. the LG 420G.

Since this is my first post, I did not want to include the URL links of the jar game and apps sites I viewed due
to my belief that such inclusion would violate the terms of using this website. If I am wrong, let me know, and
I will do a follow up post with a few of the links.

I did go to one site that listed games for the LG 420G, but didn't know whether they installed compressed or
in fuller size.

I was wondering if there are any strategy and board games, such as chess, that can be played offline.

Are there any games and apps that simply cause major problems for these cellphones, such as overwhelming
the phone with ads or interfering with the underlying phone software? (Do "reputable" websites of games and
apps for cellphones ever contain listings of potentially "harmful" games and apps? - Not all have "reviews" by
users... Some just list the game, some the number of downloads, others the download numbers and reviews.)

(Since the LG 800G has a separate memory card, downloading games would be much easier!)

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi New PCuser and welcome to the Turk Forums! ... I have a LG 420G, although it is deactivated now.

For future reference, the main thread for the 420 is here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/4697659/

Any app that you'd have to (further?) compress to fit on the 420, it would not accept. .JARs are already compressed
and stay that way, and must be presented to the phone in that way (as a JAR or JAD), no unzipping prior to use
needed before install ever.

You asked about what the file size would be of an app after you put it on the phone, zip etc....Not to worry here
at all... Just install an app and what ever the size is that you download, that is the size it is stored in the phone.
Java mobile was designed this way to stay compressed because they knew phones did not have a ton of memory
and never would. Now on execution, you notices a long delay. The phone is extracting what it needs from the JAR,
uncompressed as it goes.

Further, there is a hard app size limit to what it will execute. I forget what the size is.. 1.8MB 2.3MB, something
like that. But really many apps written for Java 2 micro edition (J2ME) should be small files. I suspect you are
looking at non- J2ME apps if they are bigger then the available memory.

If you are seeing AD sponsored games, I'm really feeling like those are not J2ME. But if they are and they require
server access where they just 'sneak' out to the internet ....They will not work on the LG 420G. The 420 would not
allow 'permissions' (I'll spare the technical) for an app like that to just access the Internet. The app would simply
give an error about an attempted access and then terminate. It has to be done a certain way, that you would be
alerted to and would have to approve.

Games that would have minimal ads off line, etc. who knows, have to talk to the creators on that one. If they
allowed that, it would cut their revenue. Again, I'm thinking you are looking at games that are not compatible.

Quote:

Some jar sites give a code ID to enter when going to their equivalent website which may begin with the letter "m."
You'll have to point me to an example on that one. (Reading further) Oh okay on not wanting to provide a URL for
those sites. Not a problem. Perhaps some one will come along that knows exactly what you are referring to. If you
are seeing something like the same game listed 3 times and things like 'S60' by one of the downloads, that refers
to to a type of phone with a certain operating system (symbian in that case). You want Java 2 Mobile. (or known as
J2ME, Java 2 microedition).

I don't know of a chess game for Java 2 microedition. Imagine playing it on such a small screen. I do know Tetris,
Solitaire, Yahtzee, and a alternate form of Angry Birds plays on it.

Apps causing problems. Again internet access...Not going to happen. The phone won't allow such an app to run
most likely. Apps interfering with underlying software. Nope. Software is firmware. Most that can happen is phone
locks up, so no harmful games or apps. And last I'd say that at least 50% of apps won't work on the 420 and it will
let you know so. Usually the app wants permission to do something like access he camera (bar code scanner for
example), the phone will deny access to the hardware and prevent the app from running period.

You are concerned about security, not to worry. As you will find, Tracfones are so 'looked down', you can't do
much with them at all. :D

Yes if the 420G had an SD slot, it would be much better period. LG's reference design HAD a slot, but of course
Tracfone let us down and did not opt for it. The only economical way to transfer files is by bluetooth, and at least
we have that.

My best advice is to experiment and have fun. Your phone will certainly not implode. :) I spent quite a bit of
time with the 420G on the technical side of things as you will see in that link I provided.

Enjoy your new phone. :)

KLM

New PCUser

KLM - Thank you for the welcome and addressing the many concerns and questions included in my first post.

I was confused in my perception of downloading the jar files directly to the LG 420G. For compatibility,
I assumed that I first have to add the two "editing" lines at the end of the jar file to allow the LG 420G to
"accept" the file. I assume downloading them directly to the phone would cause the phone to reject the
file the same way it initially rejected the Opera Mini file I downloaded due to incorrect edited
lines.

Several of the jar game sites I have viewed include getjar, sharejar, umnet, and mobilerated. Umnet.com
is very useful in that it prompts the viewer to specify the phone brand and model and then lists compatible
games and apps for that phone... Out of curiosity I specified similar LG cellphones and viewed that the
resolution numbers for the games were slightly different.

The resolution of a phone seems to be a determining factor of what games and apps the site deems as
compatible. Some of the games list a greater resolution parameter. I'd think some of these might still work,
although the user might have to scroll in directions to use the app... Don't know for sure.

Regarding the reference to the "code" ... to download a jar file directly to a user's cellphone, he would go
to the mobile URL for the website such as sharejar.mobi and m.umnet.com and enter the "WAP" code. But
for the LG 420G to accept the jar file, I would think that I would still have to have added the two edited lines
at the end of the jar file. One game I looked at on this website is described as a Java game, with the option
to download the jar, jad, and download source files.

For the game mentioned above, the site said it has only been tested on a Nokia 6630. The http: link refers
to sourceforge as being connected to the game dealing with "breaking colored balloons."

The content on Umnet.com appealed to me more and I still find it hard to believe that I could download the
content of books it lists. I can't believe that I would have a small version of an ebook reader.

I have had the LG 420G for over a year and have recently learned of some of the additional customizing it is
capable of. I thought I'd have to convert an amr formatted audio file to an MP3 file to include it as a ringtone.
No need to do that -- I learned to just assign a voice recorded sound as a ringtone, along with being able to
assign specific ringtones to specific stored phone numbers.

If my assumption is incorrect regarding needing to modify the jar file inorder for the LG 420G to accept it
directly from the download, please let me know! - Otherwise, I will download the file to my laptop, add the
edited lines, and use bluetooth to transfer the file.

Do I need to download the jad file along with the jar file? Opera Mini was accepted without the jad file.
Does the jad just serve as a "descriptor" for the viewer's use vs. software compatability with the preexisting
phone software?

And last ... I posted this topic on the board to TracFone topics. Is the better protocol to post it only for the
specific phone as you suggested? Sorry about the incorrect posting posting if that was the case. Having
such a board as this and other mobile message boards are so helpful to those of us who are still learning.

KLM
Member Avatar

I forgot to mention last night (at 3AM) that, as you found out, screen resolution is a determining factor with downloading apps. The reason is, there is no graphic vectoring with Java mobile, so the .JAR has to carry the fixed sized graphics. And knowing that mobile phone memory is precious, a developer would normally not include extra set of graphics that a phone can't use and cause the .JAR to bulk up in size. So when looking for apps for the 420, you are looking at 1 of 2 resolutions to use:

'Canvas' 176x202 or...

'Full canvas' (no status bars on screen) 176x220.

Regarding downloading an app direct to phone and having to add the two lines of code to make the app work on a 420.... Actually I never used my phone to download an app direct. I believe what would happen is, you could download an app okay, but when the phone asks if you want to install it, and you say yes, that is when it would choke. Instead, I used my PC to download the .JAR, modify it, then bluetooth it to the phone every time.

With any app you obtain for use with the LG420G it must be modified first with the 2 lines of code that you are aware of before it will work. The only exception to this is if you downloaded the app from Tracfone (not recommended)

** Note- Any app you modify with the 2 lines of code, cannot be used on another Tracfone. It will fail to install. I suggest you keep your source file pure for all other phones and make a special modified copy of each JAR just for the 420.

About the ID code you have to enter to download a file from various web sites. Okay I had a look into that. All that's new to me. Didn't have all that years ago that I ever saw. Being you went to (using as example) http://m.umnet.com/, now I think I see what you meant earlier by start with 'm.'? Okay looking back you did put a period after the letter m. I missed that earlier.

This is what I see as happening with 'download by ID' (code) you are seeing. Being there is a m. before the domain..That takes you to the sub-domain web page intended for for mobile phone access. You get fed a simplified page so that it is not laden with graphics to bog the phone down and eat up air time. The ID code, I assume you obtain after you sign up with them Using your PC at http://umnet.com/ (no m.). That way, when you use your phone you don't to take forever tapping out a user name and pass word to login. With the code, they can match that against your useragentID the phone spews out and authenticate that way for web site access.

Many people use the mobile web sites that you mentioned. But for myself I never used websites that require me to sign up and give up my cell phone number, or demand that I use my cell phone only to download the app. No, not security issues but privacy issues. I don't want them to even consider selling my number so some one can spam text my phone. Back in the day, I would find other web sites where I didn't have to sign up and I could use my PC to download apps.

Regarding the .JAD file. Typically you do not need the JAD, especially if you are downloading the apps to your PC first. It's not a descriptor for humans, but for the assist in getting things downloaded direct to phone, (some times), and only some times it may package configuration information for the phone itself, but it's kind of rare now.

Oh, okay on having your 420 for some time now, and you have discovered much with it thus far. Great. As you found out it can handle some file formats but not too many.

Speaking of MP3. Remember you were concerned about evil apps doing bad things to the phone? Here is an example of how tight security is with a tracfone. If you are thinking of trying an MP3 player app, forget it. the 420, or any tracfone will not allow an app to rummage around the phones memory (for MP3's in this case). Imagine how many other apps would need file searching access for offline use? E-book reader, Word processor, PDF viewer. You see, during the install process, the app has to declare all the permissions it will need to access various parts of the phone. With Tracfone, just about everything is denied and the app cannot be installed. This is why I said earlier you will find at least half the apps you think should work, won't. This is why I would not pay for any app period. Tracfone clearly is not like other Javamobile dumbphones due to all the java restrictions placed by Tracfone.

About those web sites that want to know your model of phone so they can serve up with apps that work on your phone. Don't buy into that. There are zillions of dumb phones and lots of apps. No way can they test apps on every phone.

The other thing that can happen is you get a short list of apps because your phone is not recognized by the web site. What I have done in the past when I had to tell them what model I have, (I'm using a PC to visit the web site mind you) I did not give them a tracfone model. Instead I game them another popular phone that is also Java 2 micro edition. I told them I had a Motorola Razr v3.

As a side note, on rare occasion, (to help some one else) I need to use a dumb phone that sends out an applicable useragentID to the web site so it can see I am using a dumb phone. Well I don't have a dumphone activated right now, so what I do is alter the useragentID of my smart phones browser. And yes I emulate a Moto Razr hee hee....If you know what you are doing, you can do the same for your browser on a PC. But...it's really not worth it, once one quickly grows tired of paying with apps for dumbphones, especially restricted ones ;)

I dunno about getting an e-reader to work. Many ask, but you never see much success. My concern would be lack of permissions for an app to search for e-book files in phone memory. Set your sights lower....much lower....You'll see what I mean in time....

And last....Is it better to post on Tracfone topics or for the specific phone (LG420G thread). Good question. It can be confusing at times, however Turk, the forum creator keeps everything quite organized around here. Ultimately he shall decide.

In reading the rules for the * TracFone & Net10 Topics Forum:
Turk

* Please use this Forum to talk about general stuff when it comes to Tracfone and Net10 Prepaid Services.
Being we're talking about the 420 specifically, or a lot, I'm guessing we should be posting in the * TracFone & Net10 Phone Forum

Turk

* Please use this Forum to talk about phone issues when it comes to Tracfone and Net10 Prepaid Services.
Not to worry as Turk will move this thread if he chooses. No harm done, he's a great guy. I'm just pointing out that the thread may be moved in case it actually does, you know where to look for it's continuation :)

Happy Experimenting!

KLM

New PCUser

Glad my first post was repositioned in the right context!

I made progress on reading through many of the posts in this
thread and hope to soon read through the other main thread
on the LG 420G.

Thanks for the responses to many of my questions in the previous
post.

Once I get my Bluetooth USB Adaptor working (have yet to buy it),
I am anxious to see if any of those ebooks by way of umnet make
it over to my phone successfully. You did describe why they may not,
so I have accepted that the TracFone LG420G will not accept some
of the otherwise simple apps.

It does make sense what you say regarding using BT to transfer files,
to look for the 176 x 220/202 canvas size, and the J2ME designation
in games/apps rather than specifying the phone type.
Is a game that is listed just as running with JAVA too complex
for this phone, or does the game/app description HAVE TO SAY
J2ME? I wonder if there is an app that converts the game
coding into a J2ME format rather than having it be coded that
way from the beginning.

A few more questions due to my learning new things on this board ...

Does TracFone charge the same calling rate when 411 or another
toll-free number is used?
Another website had a cellphone comparison chart and said that
TracFone does not charge for call forwarding. Correct?
Calls made to busy numbers (sometimes not heard as a busy
signal, but as other posters described as "silence") are still
charged the normal calling rate?

When a picture is "sent," is the picture still stored on the sender's
cellphone?

Regarding the previous discussion on strategies for blocking numbers.
The discussion dealt with using the call rejecting feature.
TracFone told me that this phone does not have call blocking
capability so the rejecting is the next best option.
I hadn't explored this feature and the suggestion to place unwanted
numbers into a group and specify that group as to be rejected was
ingenious. I assume that one of the classifications of rejected numbers
as "unregistered" referred to any number not listed in one's contact
list. Is that correct? At first, I thought "unregistered" referred to
a "private number" or "no caller ID."

Here is how I have been handling unwanted spam texts ...
(so far, no spam CALLS have been received).
I programmed my phone (thanks to the explanation given
on this thread) to have separate ring tones for calls
and texts. When I hear the text ringtone, with the phone
cover closed, I hit the volume button to note the phone
number and read through the text. I have called the
spam number back using a different phone which can
use a number which disguises my real number (by way of
using a pin from a calling card service I use for long distance
calls on my landline phone) to attempt to identify the
name of the company calling me and to speak with
the "interested" solicitor. Every time I have reached
an answering machine that fails to identify itself and to
allow me to leave a message!! Fortunately, these spam
texts come infrequently and do not repeat themselves
(so far) with the same number. It's like a marketing
machine is randomly throwing darts out into the world
with little care.

I did have to use TracFone's customer service twice
(since I bought the phone over a year ago) to
reset my phone by way of them guiding me through
a long series of numbers and then powering down and
up the phone. In an earlier post (could have been on
page 1 of this thread), there was a reference of the
procedure (other than calling TracFone customer
service). When I clicked on the URL link within the
post referring to a technical support suffix in the URL,
the response was "page not found," most likely due to
the age of the post. Is the procedure still viable?

Another previous post referred to a glitch in using the
alarm and having the phone freeze. I seemed to recall
that the glitch happened to the poster and others when
the power was off but the alarm was set and went off
at the designated time, and when it was shut off, the
phone froze or something like that.

When I have used the alarm, it has always been with the
phone powered up, and I have not encountered the phone
freezing at that sequence. I am just wondering if there is
a way NOT to use the alarm so as to avoid the freezing
up of the phone. I loved the way the alarm can be set
to play with increasing volume.

Since I learned that an amr recorded file by way of the phone's
voice recorder can be used as well as the preexisting mp3 files
as a ringtone, I think such a personlized recorded file could
also be used as an alarm. When I played through the mp3 files
which came with the 420G, I was highly disappointed. Fortunately
there were two sounds that were mellow enough for my tastes.
Being able to use a personally recorded sound is of tremendous
usefulness. (I don't know why TracFone has in its store ringtones
that are of 20 minutes duration which would be downloaded, when
all that is needed is a ten second clip.)

KLM
Member Avatar

Hello again and yep, the thread got merged! Turk likes to stay on top of these things for us.

Quote:

does the game/app description HAVE TO SAY J2ME?
No. It can simply say Java so long as you are on a web site for mobile phones where it is expected to serve files
for mobiles. The worst that can happen is that it fails to install. This is why I highly suggest when first starting out,
to try the free apps first until you get a feel of what things are like.

If you dial an 800 number with a Tracfone, yes you will be charged the regular Tracfone air time amount.
I believe this and other charges are explained in the really fine print of the supplied user manual, such as it is.

Oh and if you dial 411, you won't get the 411 you expect...You will get Tracfones version of 411. Being you are
on a cell, dialing 411 is a problem because there is no telling where you are at in order to direct you to a locality.
If you beam your self 1,000 miles away and you dial 411 from there, you certainly will not get the 411 area you
happen to be standing in. A curse of portability. Same thing with dialing 911. They have no idea where you are,
or what State you are really in.

Correct on Tracfone not charging for call forwarding because they can't. That is a function of the carrier, which
Tracfone is not a carrier. And...I think it may depend on which carrier you have if forwarding works or not. I know
it worked on my 420 with an AT&T SIM. I can't speak of the other carriers.

Yes, calls to busy numbers are still charged at normal rate. You are charged for incoming and any outgoing period.
A curse of cellular phones.

Quote:

When a picture is "sent," is the picture still stored on the sender's cellphone?
Yes they are. Also note, any pictures you wish to keep forever, you need to export off the phone. This phone has
a history of fatal failures. One comes to mind- the screen goes all white and it's finished. I know some one who had
the same phone but sold through T-Mobile and it died the same way, so it's not just Tracfones.

Quote:

TracFone told me that this phone does not have call blocking capability so the rejecting is the next best option.
That's true, but more specifically 'blocking' is a funciton of the carrier which Tracfone is not, and the carrier is not
going to do any freebees on that. :)

Quote:

I assume that one of the classifications of rejected numbers as "unregistered" referred to any number not listed
in one's contact list. Is that correct?
I never tried the reject feature as I moved away from Tracfone by the time that topic came up, so I do not know
about the 'unregistered' description. When BobbyLee comes back, he might be able to shed some light on that.

It sounds like you have a solid plan to deal with spam texts. You are lucky the 420 has that trick where you can read
the text without opening the lid and not get charged. Not all phones do this. People are frustrated at text solicitations,
as the phone number system is polluted with people who have changed their number every week but not before
giving it out to everyone, including debt collectors. Then the next person that gets the recycled number gets flooded
with calls and spam texts. So much for number portability. I'm thinking they no longer wait a year before putting a
used number back into the pool. We need a phone number system that goes by a MAC address!

Quote:

I did have to use TracFone's customer service twice (since I bought the phone over a year ago) to reset my phone
by way of them guiding me through a long series of numbers and then powering down and up the phone.
Reset the phone twice? Were you in 'code entry mode' and that locked up your phone, so you had to call Tracfone?
Which post mentioned an alternative to calling Tracfone?
This one http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single/?p=384103&t=4755963 If so, I just clicked on the link and it worked for me.

Quote:

I am just wondering if there is a way NOT to use the alarm so as to avoid the freezing up of the phone.
There is... When the alarm goes off, do not touch the phone until the alarm expires on it's own.

Yes, the ring tones and alarms that come with Tracfones are generally lousy. But the came could be said with smart
phones too... A number of people just learned to make an AMR just like you discovered, and are happy. :)

KLM

New PCUser

[EDIT: I attempted to quote sections from your last post,
and "selected the text" and clicked on the "Quote"
button. As you see, nothing! By "selecting," I dragged
my cursor over the text to be quoted. It was highlighted.
I then clicked the "Quote" button. I assumed I didn't have
to Control-C the highlighted text. What's the procedure
to get passages to show up when using the "Quote"
feature, as well as specifying what "selecting' means
in terms of key strokes. Thanks.]

My main reason for getting a Bluetooth USB Adaptor was to get
some pictures off my phone to free up space, not with the
possibility that the phone would "lose" such data through the
failure you described. Geez. I wouldn't think such a possibility
would occur for occassional use and certainly not for at least
a few years. My old Bell rotary telephone which I returned years
ago only because it was leased and had to be returned, would have
lasted one hundred years, even with all the mechanical parts!

I think I had to call TracFone to reset the code after I had trouble
with the password and got locked out.

I believe I shut off my alarm when it went off and did not have a
problem with the phone freezing. I don't recall letting it run until
the alarm stopped/expired. I looked in the Tools/Alarm setting and the
only timing I see for activation of the alarm going off is for the
snooze alarm which allows the user to specify the various time
delay in which the alarm goes off, but nothing referring to the length
of time during which the alarm sounds.

Thanks for that link. It did work and interestingly, the site requests
either the serial number OR the cell number in order to view instructions
for the VoiceMail feature. I could not get my cursor to be
active in the cell number field, only for the serial number field box.
Once the serial nubmer was entered, VoiceMail instructions were
provided.

I clicked on the various "Support Topic" links on the site, which were
very helpful in varying degrees. The VoiceMail guide was very helpful
in reminding me what to do to reset the pass code. The "Ringtones
and More" simply redirected me to the store, not to an FAQ on the
nature of the Ringtone setup and its capability and limitations.
"Text Messages" was basic. I did learn that texts are limited to
160 characters, and if more, the message is considered a new message
and charged accordingly. Interestingly, Jitterbug has the same
character limit. Wonder if this is an industrywide limitation.
On my create message box upper right hand indicator, it looked like
the number was 1600, not 160, which is supposed to indicate the
remaining characters for a message. Not sure what that's about.

As I began to explore this feature, it occurred to me that I have never
seen any information in the "Outbox." When is that used? If a message
is saved or sent, it goes to a saved and/or sent folder. What would
the "Outbox" be for?

And in Settings/Messages/Message Settings, there were quite a few listings
that were mysterious to me. Under Text Message, there were four categories -
Message Center Number, Email Gateway, Character Encdoing, and Send Long Text
As. Any explanations?
Are any of the Multimedia Message settings used on this phone?For example, the
Retrieval mode gies an option of Home network or roaming network. Delivery time
gives the user various times in which to deliver.Creation mode refers to "free, warning,
or restricted." Validity Period refers to various times and days. When I clicked on
the category "Voicemail" within "Message Settings" there was one sublisting -
it was "VoiceMail" with a checkbox. I assume that if I clicked it, it turns off
the voicemail feature. What is the purpose of the Message Center Number?
There actually is a specific long distance number listed here. When would it
be used? Is it for people who want to use TracFone as their answering
machine for some reason other than their own cellphone? I don't understand!

When I clicked on the Emoticons, there was a long list of various emoticons.
How is this list and feature different from accessing the list of emoticons in the
create message section, where by clicking on options and scrolling down,
emoticons can be accessed?

It is unbelievable that TracFone lists no documentation on these features.
I'd think somewhere that LG would have a full manual on the use of each
phone it makes. It's almost as though its engineers thought, "let's put
together a fairly decent phone with likeable features, throw in some extras
to wow our customers, but have them figure out how to get beyond the
basics." I guess the exploration of the phone's features serves as an offline
game for users.
to play with.

New PCUser

[To try to get the quote feature to work, I tried clicking on the
quote button first, then highlighting the text, then clicking on the quote
button again. Upon pressing "Post Reply," I will see if that
sequence works!]

Just installed a bluetooth USB adaptor which successfully
connected my laptop to the LG 420G (the device
was recognized instantly!) but have not sent any
pictures stored in the phone over to the computer yet.

When I completed the configuration process, I was asked
to choose several options at the very end of the process.
All boxes were unchecked so I kept them that way.
One choice looked like it might be useful. It was described
as "virtual serial port." I think another one referred to
"getaway or gateway." What do these settings refer to?
At this point all I want to use the BT for is to have my
laptop and phone talk to each other. Would the Virtual
serial port's purpose be to allow more than one device to
work off that one BT at that USB port?

New PCUser

Through some additional research, got most of my questions answered.

Some of the settings and options on the LG 420G are not for the cell
phone user, but to be used by TracFone and the carrier. Some of them
are not to be touched by the user.

New PCUser

I had installed my bluetooth to my laptop. It said a connection was made
between it and the LG 420G, both devices confirming the displayed password.

When I attempted to send a picture to my computer using bluetooth,
I got a message saying "Waiting a response from (the device it
was paired with)." Then a "Disconnect." Then "Failed to send to
(the device)."

The cellphone was inches away from the computer.

I don't understand what I need to do to successfully send a picture.
Is the problem on the cellphone's end, the computer's or the way
bluetooth is configured on the computer? The brand is Rocketfish.
I checked the properties of the strength of the transmission and it
was listed as "good" (middle of the range).

New PCUser

Found a solution, now connected.

KLM
Member Avatar

Quote:

I attempted to quote sections from your last post,
and "selected the text" and clicked on the "Quote"
button.
I always wondered about those forum buttons and emoticons that never worked for me either. Perhaps Turk could answer. I eventually resorted to doing it the manual way, encapsulating the code quote with left bracket and right bracket. When done quoting you /quote and put left and right brackets round that. Here is more or less a guide to the bulletin board codes: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/keys/?c=1 I find it's very much like coding in HTML.

Yep, the rotary bell phone you had would last longer than most cell phones. No batteries needed either. Periodically the carbon gets too packed in the microphone and ear piece cartridges resulting in voice/audio quality loss. But all you had to was bang the receiver on a desk hard and that loosened them up and call quality is back to normal.

Quote:

I looked in the Tools/Alarm setting and the
only timing I see for activation of the alarm going off is for the
snooze alarm which allows the user to specify the various time
delay in which the alarm goes off, but nothing referring to the length
of time during which the alarm sounds.
I use one of the supplied alarm sounds that loops after a few seconds. If I just let it ring until it quits on it's own, I count one minute. It appears that the phone determines the length of alarm time, not adjustable as you pointed out. $10 phone in some parts, what can I say :D

Quote:

Yes a 160 character per page limit for texing is the industry standard. Now, if one starts using exotic characters that 160 limit goes down to 140 per page. It's like running a 5 bit keyboard in some olden computer applications. 5 bits is enough for most used characters used by humans, but you need more for programming. Another example is 7 bit versus 8 bit ASCII
When on the text composing screen you see 1600 instead of 160 displayed. 160 is the limit if you want to keep the text under 1 page and only have 1 'unit' deducted. Go past 160 and you are on page 2 and will have another unit deducted. 1600 (10 pages) is the end of the text buffer. If you make it to 1600, your thumbs will hurt from all the key presses! If you have to do that much pecking (pages and pages), you'd do better to send that particular message as an MMS (multimedia SMS) where you can do 295,000 button-strokes. To switch to MMS = Create message > Options > Change to multimedia. Note: once you switch, you can't go back to SMS for that message. You'd have to delete the message and start over. Also, switching to MMS will allow you to attach pictures. I believe in this thread there area number of posts about SMS and MMS stuff.

Quote:

And in Settings/Messages/Message Settings, there were quite a few listings
that were mysterious to me. Under Text Message, there were four categories -
Message Center Number, Email Gateway, Character Encdoing, and Send Long Text
As. Any explanations?
Yes. Leave alone :) These are not for the end user honestly except 'send long text as'. You change stuff there and, you won't be texting. Message center number is where the texts go to be processed. email gateway, if you send an e-mail (probably discussed in this thread, I forget, but wouldn't get too excited about it) it needs to know how to get to the right email relay server. No, it does not access web to do this, it's all a Cell carrier to phone thing. Char. encoding, forget if you are not using french, etc. and Send long text as. That is up to you if you want to change. You can change it to MMS, and after some length of text (you'd have to try it) it will automatically prepare the text for sending as MMS (look in upper right corner for SMS or SMS on creation screen)

Quote:

As I began to explore this feature, it occurred to me that I have never
seen any information in the "Outbox." When is that used? If a message
is saved or sent, it goes to a saved and/or sent folder. What would
the "Outbox" be for?
A bad omen from my experience. If you try to send a text, and it fails, it will go in the out box and sit there forever. It will not try to resend at a later time. An icon with an envelope with a red X will be on the status bar at top. Only way to cure it is delete the contents of the outbox.

Quote:

Are any of the Multimedia Message settings used on this phone?For example, the
Retrieval mode gies an option of Home network or roaming network. Delivery time
gives the user various times in which to deliver.Creation mode refers to "free, warning,
or restricted." Validity Period refers to various times and days. When I clicked on
the category "Voicemail" within "Message Settings" there was one sublisting -
it was "VoiceMail" with a checkbox. I assume that if I clicked it, it turns off
the voicemail feature. What is the purpose of the Message Center Number?
There actually is a specific long distance number listed here. When would it
be used? Is it for people who want to use TracFone as their answering
machine for some reason other than their own cellphone? I don't understand!
The stuff here I never touched. Again lots of it not for the end user in my opinion and should not be on this phone. This phone by LG went to other carriers under a different model name. Remember, Tracfone strips out a lot of features, so some times there are bits left over that are in the menus and don't apply. I'd leave this section alone. There is no way to turn off voice mail. It's done at the carrier level, not in the phone. Don't mess with the message center number or you'll not be texting. That is where all the texts are sent to for routing.

Quote:

It is unbelievable that TracFone lists no documentation on these features.
I'd think somewhere that LG would have a full manual on the use of each
phone it makes
Welcome to our world Tracfone customers! This is why Turk Forums is here be cause Tracfone sure isn't for us. If you call up LG and tell them you want a manual for your Tracfone from them, they will tell you they never made one for Tracfone. What LG has is what they must provide as per FCC requirements- a 'reference manual'. Now, when they mean reference they mean 'reference design', as in 'Here's the start of a manual, and you the purchaser (Tracfone) add onto it as you see fit'. The manuals given to the FCC are, rarely accurate in contents when it comes to a Tracfone final product. The manual given to the FCC is 18 pages long, and still does not cover any of this.

Good deal on 'pairing' your Bluetooth adapter with phone. I had a time of it when I first tried it. It was not the phone but just how BT worked on a PC, and the interface. The implementation just does not feel right. So, much so I don't or can't tell people how to work their BT with PC to phone for the most part, because there are too many variables.

Quote:

One choice looked like it might be useful. It was described
as "virtual serial port." I think another one referred to
"getaway or gateway." What do these settings refer to?
BT technology in general has a number of services. A device such as a phone can offer 1 or more services, like for communication with a headset, serial port emulation, data transfer, etc. The 420 offers a few services, but you can't use them (more of that Tacfone hacking out features). Serial- you can't use. It's like a serial port emulation over BT. The locked down Tracfone doesn't support this. Nor printing services. No this will not allow you to do anything at the USB port on the phone. All you can do at the USB is charge. Thank Tracfone for that. I think there is one for Vcard (virtual card file .VCF a.k.a. address book like stuff) and that service I think is available, but who'd you use it for/with? (rhetorical question). The only one you want is Obex Exchange, File transfer or something like that for getting files to and from phone. Huh, I just connected my BT adapter, and fired up my 420 and all it says that is available for services is serial port. Oh well, I don't care at this point :) The one about the gateway, I have seen before but can't recall what it is. The BT drivers I am using right now are stripped down and don't show me all that to aid my recollection. It would not hurt if you checked all those boxes you referred to, though they may not get you anywhere due to the restricted phone.

Quote:

When I attempted to send a picture to my computer using bluetooth,
I got a message saying "Waiting a response from (the device it
was paired with)." Then a "Disconnect." Then "Failed to send to
(the device)."
This is what I mean about bluetooth in general. Doesn't work like everyone thinks it should work. When the PC said 'waiting a response from' did you look over at the phone where it was prompting you to say yes or no to accept the file? If you did not get the prompt, the paring of the PC and phone might have dropped out. Distance was not a factor.

I can't help directly with Rocketfish (don't have one) BT. Chances are it's really made by Broadcom, and Rocketfish slapped their label on it, took the, you guessed it, reference drivers and manual, spruced them up then charged the end user accordingly. Hopefully it has nice interface software that plays well which will make for a better experience than I had.

Okay, I see over time you got many things BT, and Tracfone wise sorted out. Experimenting and researching is half the fun with these things. The other half is trying to use them in real life. :D

KLM

New PCUser

Thanks for the tip on using HTML codes to do the quotes formatting.

Currently, my BT is working, but not after having gone through days of hell of trying to figure
out why it finally worked, then after the computer booted up would only say the devices
were paired but not connected (with an ominous red-colored pattern in the BT icon).
Long story short, I had to reinstall the software at least three times before it appears to
have settled itself in ok.

I started out with a simple and very small jar for a tic-tac-toe type game called JCaro.
It installed well and the jad file just was a descriptor, with the page following the
"continued" option giving me an error, but it didn't seem important, so I just let it go.
The game did come with a menu of options, but the "help" option does not respond to
any key commands, whereas the others due, such as changing the size display of the board,
the level of difficulty of play, returning to the previous screen, etc.
Since there are basically only two commands that operate the game - one being the navigational
direction, the other the "enter the move" key, I figured out how to play the game.
The download files for the game consisted only of a jar and jad file and I do not recall if the jar file had subcomponents to it, one of which might pertain to the help option.

Which brings me to the next question for help ...
I have been searching for websites that make the downloading of relevant jar games
and apps for the LG 420G easy, and except for the JCaro game I downloaded, I have been
having difficulty.
I went to a site called UMNet.com which appears to have a very large variety of games and
apps, which are listed relevant to the phone specified. I attempted to download two games, and
when I double-clicked on the jar file in my 7-Zip Manger list, the display not only listed the META-INF file, but there were about five other files, some of which looked very relevant to the game.
Although I did download a small solitaire card game successfully, the link for it is listed below
so you can see what I was working with ...

http://www.umnet.com/downloads/download_software.aspx?id=10623

only the display of the cards appeared on my phone screen. I pressed all phone buttons to see if I could activate a help screen or more information and was unable to do so. Even worse, by pressing buttons, I was able to only change the appearance of the deck dealt, highlight the current position of the card to be acted upon, and to display cards in the upper pile. I noticed that on the website display, the menu and option commands appear near the bottom of the screen, so it may be that the display exceeded the 178 x 202 (or 220) boundaries for this phone's display window.

The real question is - the META-INF file is the one which is acted upon to edit the information in the MANIFEST.MF file - what is to be done with the other files that were listed along with the META-INF? Double clicking on the other files does not bring up a MANIFEST.MF file.

Have you ever downloaded a game and/or app that came with a jar file and if so, did any of them contain the other files to which I referred?

And which sites have you had the most success with regarding sending games and apps to any cellphones you have had similar to the LG 420G?

(PS I was one day away from throwing in the towel with that Rocketfish BT and the lack of technical support, and the inability to figure out the reason for the malfunction.)

When I did choose the BT option on the phone's setting, when I did attempted to connect to my computer, the phone listed two jpeg type files, whose dates corresponded to the date on the pictures taken and stored on the phone. The only options listed on the bottom of the screen were "get" and I think "back." When I clicked on "get," the phone said something like it was trying to access an FTP file on my computer and the computer asked me if I wanted to give permission.
When I clicked on yes, there was a timing bar on my phone's screen, listing the percentage of the transfer or whatever it was attempting to do. After a minute or so, it just gave up and gave some error message. I tried two more times, same result. I don't understand why those two files concering the picture are listed in the sequence of clicking on "connect to my computer" in this regard. It's like the phone sent the picture to my computer, and the memory of the type of picture and its content is still listed as a history kind of thing in the sequence of connecting to the computer. I was glad that I was able to send a picture from my phone to my computer.

KLM
Member Avatar

I think I know what's wrong...
On your latest post, it sounds like you are well initiated with bluetooth (BT) and it's hassles, and the small struggle to find java mobile games that will work properly with your phone, all of which I mentioned you'd experience. I can tell you now, what you are enduring, is about as good as it gets. Perhaps this is why I never see folks come back and tell us about their success, if the had any. :D

I generated a long reply, and the more I re-read your post, the more I put together, and then something clicked...Suspicious, I downloaded a rocketfish BT user manual. Oh boy. They are using the reference drivers/support from the actual hardware mfg (Broadcom). Answer me this....Do they have you click on 'My Bluetooth Places'? Sounds like it. If so, well there is your problem/frustration. And guess what...You get to experience the same exact thing I did years ago, (remember what I said about my experience?) because my BT adapter uses the same reference drivers, that were never updated since 2007! Shows you how much they care. All rocketfish did was just like everyone else. Obtain a supply of something, and use their name to sell it. No originality, and no further progress in this area of technology. They got your money, we suffer.

You have to be psychic to know how to work it, as it will only work a couple ways, some odd ways, or it will hang, crash, and so on. To help me visualize what you are describing (I got confused on your last paragraph, I subjected my torture computer to the said drivers and watched it take for ever to install and discover way too many 'devices'. All you really need is one single .inf which takes part of a second to install. Anyway, I proceed to BT on that computer. Drag and drop into the OBEX (to phone) folder? Crashed the program. And something else I did caused a hang, and something else I did I found the PC and phone not talking anymore and had a hard time getting the connect back. PC kept saying phone was busy (after some transfer issue.) Does this sound familiar? This is exactly why earlier I said 'things did not work like you think they should'. This is why I tell people I can't really help because we've got garbage to work with.

The phone cannot explore the whole of your computer. It does not have file explorer capabilities and further, an explorer app with not work on Tracfones (more lock down restrictions.) The only place it can pull files from PC would be a designated folder for BT transfers, and the location was configurable in the BT installation, but you probably didn't know that. That's okay, this whole thing is sooooo messed up any way, I highly suggest you learn a routine that works and do not deviate or you will be aggravated to no end. And with that....

I will attempt to guide you to how to file tansfer
*Note: Folks reading along, this may not apply to our situation if your BT adapter came with software that further helps you manage your BT operations. I hate to be vague but supporting BT is just messy. We're just using the Widcomm reference drivers and nothing else.

If you are proficient at using Windows explorer, this will go a lot easier. I will assume you are, but will go easy anyway. ;)

Before we start, let's do something first on the 420, to stop some of those excessive requests. Menu > Settings Connection > Select Bluetooth > Turn On > Paired Devices > Have your PC's name highlighted > Options > Allow Connection > Change to Always Connect > select Yes. This with stop the 'allow connection' prompt every time you do a transfer.

Here is one way and maybe the easiest. With phone all paired up. Have the phone lid closed, on the home screen or on the bluetooth menu screen and no other phone screen or you will get a error establishing connection.. This method uses only the PC to do all the work in sending/receiving to/from the phone. Don't use the phone to send or pull something from the PC. Just pair the phone and close the lid....

(These are baby steps I know but let's keep it simple so we can try and be on the same page with this) I am doing this on my Win XP PC and phone as I type (Don't have Win7) so I can verify how to work it.
[
b]To send from PC to phone[/b]
> Wade around your PC, find 1 or more files > right click > copy.
> Go back to the desktop and click on My Bluetooth Places icon.
> Click on the LG420G OBEX File Transfer to expand folders.
> 3 folders are in view- Images, Sounds and Others. You can drop all files in the others folder. In a bit the transfer will be complete.

I say drop all files on Others because the LG420G will automatically move pictures and sounds to there appropriate folder and you have no choice in the matter. The .JAR files remain in Others where you can launch and install from there later.

To transfer from phone to PC
..Hang on because I jut crashed explorer and now upon retry phone busy error. I can't even turn the BT off in the phone because it thinks it's transferring. Ah, it eventually timed and I could turn the BT off. This is where things go wrong (phone to PC). This is the bad implementation I told you about.

Here's what not to do or there will be problems Do not go into the My bluetooth places LG420, OBEX file transfer and select copy of a file, and then paste it some where else on PC. It crashed here then had other problems.

Instead here's what to do for phone to PC
> Go back to the desktop and click on My Bluetooth Places icon.
> Click on the LG420G OBEX File Transfer to expand folders.
> 3 folders are in view- Images, Sounds and Others. Choose the desired folder and...
> Right click on the file and use only the Send to option. You can use any method shown in the Send to panel (Bluetooth exchange folder (that's on the PC side), My documents, Other...). In a moment the file will have transferred to PC.

* *I made a number of transfers back and forth with the above instructions over a period of 10 minutes and the transfers never failed, did not hang, or crash. Deviate from the plan and who knows what will happen. :D

Another thing to not do is use the PC to delete files from phone via BT. If you do, you will get a 'Incorrect permissions' (Trafcone java lock down thing. And you were worried about viruses? Let 'um try!)

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Moving onto your post. Some responses might be 'after the fact' now that I think I figured out your troubles.

But for all my BT bashing, at least we have a way to get files to and from the phone without MMS'ing them and burning up minutes all to find to the app did not work any way :D Before this phone, not many Tracfones prior (could not transfer files without MMS.) So BT is an advancement.

I can understand on you about to give up on your rocketfish BT. I often ask people trying to figure these things out to post back here of their eventual triumphs but, we never hear from them again.

When you paired PC and phone, saw the 2 jpegs, tried to transfer, looked like it was about to go through, and then got an error (your last paragraph). I think you were looking in the OBEX transfer folder. This is not a real folder at all and and is a representation of what's on the phone that it will allow the PC to have should you want it.

The line where you said you clicked on 'Get', and the phone was trying to retrieve a file on the PC...I got that too when I tried it. Just let this go and stick with guide above. Remember this stuff barely works as it is.

Moving away from BT stuff and onto the rest of our post. Good for you on starting simple with a Tic-Tac-Toe game. That's what I would have done. I would have only placed the .JAR on the phone. 99.9% of the time there is no .JAD benefit with Tracfones. And the shortest explanation for that is all those heavy restrictions placed on Tracfones and crippled firmware.

On some features of the game that were not selectable no matter what you tried- You'll see this often, if the app works at all. Some apps try to use features that the Tracfone simply does not have. This is why I said when starting out go for the free games, until you get a feel of what works, and the part about 'set your sights lower' when seeing those nice sounding titles with really cool graphics that must be purchased. Issues you will run into with games and apps are key mapping issues, like to 'up' press letter U type thing, and you have no 'U'.) and requires some kind if D-pad I think they call, it track pad? or track ball built into the phone. Nothing you can do about this. Can't remap your keys and can't get an app overlay to remap, etc. You just find another Tic-Tac-Toe game that works.

On you having difficulty finding games that will work for the LG420G, this lends to my 'lotsa luck' attitude earlier :). Not so easy, but it is still doable at least. The java mobile platform is fading in the light of more powerful phones and their platforms, which some are still based on java by the way. So, without mainstream attention, why would anyone code for or host files for java mobile?

My exploration of java mobile games and apps came and went with the LG600G and LG420G (very short). After that I said 'that's nice', and move onto a smart phone ;) But before I moved on, I pulled my notes together and dumped them (where to find games and what you need to know) back on post 21 and 31 . As I review those two posts again, the only thing I can add is try softpedia.com and look under 'Hanhelds' tab at the top. They used to have...oh my, probably a thousand entries or so, though not all for this phone and screen size, but it was a lot. I just went there again and now they have very little for java mobile.

I know there are a number of other sites that have java mobile apps that folks has posted about from time to time. I can't remember them, nor took note because I lost interest. What you can do is, pain painstakingly I'm sure, go through the LG900G and LG800G threads (lots of posts there) on the Turk forums, and use your browser search function for key words like 'games' and see if you come up with anything. Both phones are java mobile of course. Or go over to those threads and ask where you find games and apps for 'these phones' without specifying what you actually have. My concern is, you won't get too many replies. There are only so (not so) many of us regular posters. Hence the painstaking search I mentioned. I did say it would not be easy find apps right? To me, it seems like the web sites got even harder than it was 2+ years ago to find the apps themselves.

Quote:

And which sites have you had the most success with regarding sending games and apps to any cellphones you have had similar to the LG 420G?
I have never used any site to send any game or app to any phone. If I could not get the game or app downloaded right to PC, I moved on. No way was I going to give my cell number or any personal info to a web site to be sold. Perhaps some one reading along here could chime in and post some of their favorite java mobile web sites.

Quote:

what is to be done with the other files that were listed along with the META-INF?
Nothing at all. All the files in the .JAR are to support the apps needs and should not be altered, added, or removed as this is a meta directory that is expected to contain , services, extensions, configuration, class loader(s). Except of course the MANIFESET.MF which needs to be modified to work on the LG420G exclusively.

Quote:

Have you ever downloaded a game and/or app that came with a jar file and if so, did any of them contain the other files to which I referred?
They all come with .JAR as that is the container, and they all contain multiple files within the META-INF directory. It's like a spine, just have to have it :) Re-thinking this, I think you meant .JAD? No, .JAD will not have multiple files within it.

KLM

New PCUser

KLM -- Hope your HTML guidance proves successful here ... here I go...

Quote:

Thanks for the tip on using HTML codes to do the quotes formatting.
Thanks for taking the time to explain a solution regarding using BT.

I hesitate to mess around with BT settings in my PC (but your suggestion regarding
the "always connect" on my phone makes sense) now that it has been working for the simple transfer of data.

I finally learned how to successfully modify a zip file into a jar file, so some of the games I looked at in zip format I was able to get only my phone successfully.

Due to the number of pictures I still have on my phone, I don't have much room to add more than a few more games (down to about 600kb of free Phone Common Memory space), so I will have to eventually take time to either delete and/or move some of the pictures off my phone. Thus, the importance of having a phone with a separate memory card and for expanding memory which the LG 420G does not have.

The best game I have downloaded so far (always from the PC first) to the phone has been Spruce Chess 0.4.0 which fits perfectly onto my LG 420G phone screen. I have found only one glitch so far having to do with the program trying to "think" through its next move from a game ending checkmate move on my part with no possible solution on its part. I simply had to end the game at that point. From the same website I got this game at I also successfully installed Bowling 1.1 which is great for what it professes to be - it has simple graphics (stick lines to represent bowling pins), but allows the user to choose various degrees of ball speed, spin, and ball release angle to the pins - and it includes a real bowling score card. It does allow the viewer to watch a ball "going down the lane" and watch the trajectory of the ball with the spin, as well as going through the pins, knocking them down. I know I should spend my time doing useful things, but this game I can see may grab my attention for long periods of time. The chess game I can justify as being more of an intellectual pursuit, kieeping my mind sharp. The graphics on the chess board are excellent. Just wish there was an option to take back a move.

I also downloaded a few other games like Checkers created by the same Spruce people - same look as the chess game. Well done, but with my limited time, I'd rather play chess than checkers. I will be exploring a few other games, but it looks like, as you said, what is needed is the J2ME and screen size compatability.

There was one game I installed that did not come with instructions and no key combination seemed to offer more than a few action moves. The game was solitaire and from the website I was on (could have been the freemobilespot) the version didn't work.

I did learn that one site in particular offers ad supported games which I experienced an immediate loss of five minutes of phone time when it installed even though the jar file was already on my phone. Evidently when the installation took place, some part of the program must have connected to the internet momentarily. The site was mobilerated, and the app was for, please forgive me, dogs barking. I thought it might be a useful app to thwart potential burglers. Or if that didn't work, to disarm them through laughter.

I am still not clear why I still have in my LG420 G the listing (file names) for the two pictures I sent to my computer. When I displayed on my phone I think the listing for which devices my BT is connected to and clicked on one of the devices, the two file names were listed. There was no "option" listed to delete them. Just choices for "get" and "back." Choosing "get" I think resulted in the BT icon in my computer's system/tool tray turning not red (meaning not connected) but orange. Hovering over the BT icon at this point displayed some message about it not being in a useable state or something like that - I don't recall exactly what it said, but I had never seen that color or status description before. When I rebooted the status returned back to normal.

I do wonder if most if not all of memory is restored after an installed file on the phone is deleted. With a computer, when a file is downloaded and deleted, there is some additional data stored in a registry reducing the memory to some degree. With the LG 420G's limited memory, I wonder if frequent downloading and installing of programs followed by deletion would result in some accumulation of residual "stuff" which overtime would reduce available total free memory in the Phone Common Memory. At some point, perhaps TracFone central could reset the phone's memory.

I am searching for useable Apps for this phone, just out of curiosity, since some of the apps out there in the world are fascinating. With the LG 420G's limitations, I guess only the simplest apps would be compatable.

I have some concern now that I may be using the phone for some "downtime" entertainment through these offline games, that more frequent use of the buttons on the keypad may shorten the life of the phone. Do you think the keys/buttons are well constructed to withstand repetitive action by using them for "game playing?" That's one reason why I did not want any of the "arcade adventure" games (shooting) installed, as well as believing that there are other games and apps that are better for the mind. (I do find an attraction to those games like "bejeweled" or some similar name, due to the visual appearance of the objects. Not sure if there are any J2ME compatable games for the LG 420G.

New PCUser

Discovered some interesting things on mob385, which gets me to these
questions - this app found at ...
http://www.mob385.com/java/en/preglednici.shtml

claims to free up memory and to delete files on a cell phone.

Since the LG 420G has limited Phone Common Memory, and if the phone is used
to store pictures, the 9MB of memory is decreased significantly.

Would such a program work if there was any data left after downloaded and
installed files were later uninstalled?

This phone comes with two already installed games - Soduku and Mini Game
Planet. Is there any way to delete at least one of these games (MGP) so as
to free up memory? That game takes up about 345 kb of memory. For not being
used and something I would never use, I'd much prefer to replace it with something
else. TracFone says that since these games are put into the phone by LG, that
they cannot be removed.

Another app on mob385 is a book reader (BookReader 1.2.0) found at

Why would a phone need this app to read books if some of the books
can be downloaded in a jar or zip file? Many of the books seem to require
considerable kb of memory and more to be read even in a jar file format
from those I have looked at. I intend to see if I can install a small
thesaurus from this website.

Do these visual effects apps found at
http://www.mob385.com/java/en/efekti.shtml
not drain the battery quickly? The only way to have them running
and viewable is to set the phone screen backlight setting to not shut
off (mine is set to turn off after 15 seconds). I am referring mostly
to the visual effects apps that are animated. I wonder, too, how if
one of these visual effects is intalled, if the phone will prompt the user
for a "replace current screen theme?" and allow for future substitution
if requested (meaning not a permanent change).

New PCUser

Looks like the links to some of these apps on mob385 don't work.
Got a "mob385.com error 404."

New PCUser

I had asked in a previous post how to maximize Phone Common memory
in the LG 420G since it limits the user to 9MB of memory.

It occurred to me that when a file is downloaded into the phone, the file
needs to be launched to install the program. Once installed, not only is
the program (game or app) using memory (and it seems to be almost
twice the size of the downloaded jar file), but the original jar file is still
taking up memory in the "Others" folder location.

I thought that if the game or app was deleted after use, that would free up
memory, while still retaining the option to reinstall the game or app quickly
from the original jar file stored in the "Others" folder.

Be deleting all games and apps from the Games and Apps folders, those folders
could be used as a place to put a program as needed. (The one exception
being of course for material or game position that needs to be saved for future
use.) In this manner, the user could store many more games and apps on the phone
and reduce memory only during the time that the one selected program is
being used.

Is there any downside to this approach? All the games I have downloaded
(jar file sizes less than 70kb take only a few seconds to install into the Game
folder). Even Cellfun Chess took under 5 seconds to install. Educational apps
I have looked at all seem to be of a much larger file size and too large for my
phone's current memory. I am still looking for the holy grail - a tiny jar file for
a thesaurus. Even tinygo is too large for my available memory, but I am working
on creating more room !
less than

KLM
Member Avatar

Great on getting BT going and onward to downloading games of use to you! Yep, with the LG420G you'll have to micro manage the memory usage. What I did was, have my 'core apps' that I always wanted on my phone and I left some memory free to bring on an app of interest, such as a game to play for a while, then toss out to leave room for the next. Yes it would be easier to do the above even more if it had a micro SD card.

That's nice that the chess and checker games are pleasing to the eye. I assume these are paid apps. Sounds like the chess game will be one you keep on the phone. Any flaws have to be taken up with the developer, which would probably love to hear from some one these days in that some one is using their java mobile game still.

On the app 'Dogs barking' that sucked down 5 minutes from your phone, that sounds odd. The phone should prompt a connect request, I would think. That's like in app billing, but I dunno how they would be able to do that. Tracfone can do that if you visit the tracfone store to download ring tones etc. All I can say is watch out for those fancy apps!

Quote:

I am still not clear why I still have in my LG420 G the listing (file names) for the two pictures I sent to my computer.
You sent the pictures to the PC, but it sounds like it's just a copy that it sent, and originals will remain on phone.

You were in a transferring mode- send and receive is all you can do. There is no remote management, (cut, delete, rename, etc.) To do all that you need to go into pictures, find the picture then look under options for delete. Yep, lotta work managing these dumb phones.

Quote:

I do wonder if most if not all of memory is restored after an installed file on the phone is deleted.
No worry at all on losing memory in that way. Java mobile is air tight on that as they know internal memory is precious at all times. Everything is kept in the .Jar until you execute. That is why it takes a long time to unload. Each app can have a scratch pad for like saved levels, but all that disappears when you uninstall the app. Thankfully Java mobile is not like Windows :D

Quote:

I am searching for useable Apps for this phone, just out of curiosity, since some of the apps out there in the world are fascinating. With the LG 420G's limitations, I guess only the simplest apps would be compatable.
And that is why I moved onto a smart phone, which I have turned into a metal detector, ghost detector, Tri-corder, WiFi detector, satellite detector, bar code/data matrix reader and more. I just got tired f not coming up with much for a restricted java mobile phone. But if you want to do things left-handedly you can try reading through this thread: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/4710109/

On the keypad wear concern, you should be good to go. They use a typical carbon trail and membrane like everything else of that type. If you reach 10,000 keystroke, you might have to be concerned then.

Quote:

Discovered some interesting things on mob385, which gets me to these
questions - this app found at ...

claims to free up memory and to delete files on a cell phone.
A Tacfone would never allow any app to access memory not assigned to it, so that app would not even install. Remember what I said about great inherent security being the phone is so locked down.

Soduku and mini planet cannot be removed. They are in a memory area that is not accessible to the end user. Even if you could delete them, you would not gain user memory. don't feel bad, it's the same with Android phones. If it came with an app you can't delete it, unless you hack the phone, but then the android user would gain memory :)

Book Reader 1.2.0, I do use e-readers. I could be wrong when I say this, but you have a reader that provides the environment in which books are fed into. But there are so many types of book formats out there. I know lots of folks have asked about e-readers for these phones but nothing has really ever come out of it. Why have a reader when the books re in jars? Well, you have the reader and the actual book is in a jar (compressed) to save space. And phones can obviously recognize .JAR If you called it .BOK, it might not allow it onto the phone as it's not a file type it knows. See if any of this works for you. I have no idea if it will or not: http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/beta/j2me.asp

Okay if you find a thesaurus, let's us know. I think I found some language translator, and Oxford English Dictionary apps before, and they worked.

Quote:

Do these visual effects apps found at
http://www.mob385.com/java/en/efekti.shtml
not drain the battery quickly?
Oh yes, keep the screen lit and CPU running at full speed, you bet it will pull the battery down. I made some current drain measurements on this phone actually:

-External screen 40ma
-Phone opened and at main screen 80ma
-Playing Tetris 100ma
-Phone call Not talking 100ma. Talking fluctuates..I saw 120ma. So talk time on a fully charged battery would be about 5 hours depending on who's doing the blabbing!

Also, you cannot leave the phone plugged into external power, so as to not drain the battery, while you are using the phone. Once the phone decides the battery is charged, it disregards external power source, and draws off the battery.

I can believe that some of the links you com across will give you 404 errors today. Apps come and go, never to be replaced, for an aged platform....

In your post 247 on memory management strategy, I don't see a down side to it. It sounds like you have a plan worth sticking with. You have to do what you have to do with such limited memory. I know I did not keep a copy of an app both in Others and also have it installed. I couldn't afford the memory loss :) Again, we were happy to see Tracfone that finally had bluetooth. That way, we could keep our collection of apps off the phone and BT apps at will to the phone. Yes you can shop around for a smaller app that does the same thing. I used to do that very same thing with my smart phone that only had about 130MB of available internal memory!

What ever you do, have fun with it. :)

KLM

New PCUser

Quote:

That's nice that the chess and checker games are pleasing to the eye. I assume these are paid apps.
Nope. Free. No ads. Freemobilespot.com is where I found several of the games
I have decided to keep for awhile. The name "Spruce" is listed with the Chess
and Checkers games and if you look at the similarity of their board design, and
game format, it's no surprise knowing that it's the same developer. Real easy on the
eyes and easy to play. The Cellfun Chess while more technically designed and
offering more options was just too difficult for this phone's screen to use - if there
was an option to change the color scheme by which the "active" square was
coded in, I would have kept it. With Spruce Chess and Checkers, there is no
difficulty knowing which square is "active." The bowling game is fun - to a point!
I have noticed the game's limitations - there is no pin "sliding" which is part of the
real game's excitement. I thought if I chose the highest strength setting for ball
speed that I could "cause" more pin action, but alas, all the pins do is "plop" over!
It is fun to watch the ball "curve" (to the degree as selected among many various by
the user) down the alley, something not done by the ball action I saw on a friend's
high end Android phone with a more complex and "realistic" bowling lane and ball animation.

I will continue to look for useable apps for this phone, not an easy task so far.
I did read the QR thread you provided the link for. Very adventurous task on your part - and impressive.

Quote:

I am still not clear why I still have in my LG420G the listing (file names) for the two pictures I sent to my computer.
You sent the pictures to the PC, but it sounds like it's just a copy that it sent, and originals will remain on phone.
I don't think I explained this well. I was referring to when I selected the receiving device for a BT transmission.
I saw two jpg files listed which were the pictures I had sent earlier. I know that the pictures will stay on my phone
until I delete them. I just thought it peculiar that these two pics were listed (in a different ADDITIONAL place) in
my phone and that I couldn't delete the listing in this BT listing. I do plan on eventually deleting some pics from
my phone's location for pics.

Quote:

On the keypad wear concern, you should be good to go. They use a typical carbon trail and membrane like
everything else of that type. If you reach 10,000 keystroke, you might have to be concerned then.
Some of these games like Sudoku involve ALOT of keyboard use to move around the game board.
I would think it wouldn't take much time to reach the 10,000 keystroke.
Did you just make up that number? Wouldn't it be helpful if these phones had some sort of keystroke
memory and listed it so the user could monitor their use more discretionly?

I understand now why you moved on to a smart phone - you have found all sorts of
good uses for your phone in the way of "detectors." One app you didn't list and maybe
you are still looking for it - a "truth" detector. Actually, I think there are some in use - they
detect changes in vocal frequency that are not within the range of "normal."

KLM
Member Avatar

Good to hear you were able to get nice games for free.
Again I would not pay for any games or apps as you never know if it will actually work on a given phone.

On wearing out the keypad. I dunno what the keypad makers specs are actually but usually the supplier of
parts will give some sort of rating... That is like EEPROMS (the original 'flash memory') where say National
Semiconductor may say theirs are good for 10,000 writes, or the claim that a write-able compact disc last
100 years. How do we know? It hasn't been 100 years yet. I've ha some really poor CDs that started losing
data like it had cancer after 3 months. It was even growing spots on the disc.

No, it would not be nice if the phones had a keystroke counter. Eats up CPU cycles and that precious memory
we talked about... Plus if it's stored in NVRAM, it would wear that out too. :D :D :D

The good news is, if you wear out the keypad on your phone playing soduku within a year, Tracfone has a
year warranty. Oh wait, you said you had your LG420G for a year already. :D Er, so how many keystrokes
do you think you have racked up so far?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the android lie detector app. Haven't had a use for that one. I know everyone around
me is lying already... "I didn't break it", etc. :D

KLM

mdiana3266

hi...
I downloaded some games from Tracfone a couple of days ago and it was working fine... Now, when I try to play my
games it says "Resource is not available" ..on that note, I clicked on game options and it sent me to "Set Permission"
I think that changed it (dumb me, clicked on them)... but how can I get my games to play again.....thank you.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.