Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Tracfone) LG 420g Phone Topic
Topic Started: April 29, 2010, 11:35 pm (10,640 Views)
Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks. ;)

* Thanks to The Sweeper for also posting this Info over on the Tracfone & Net10 Sales Page.

* The New Tracfone LG 420g is now for sale over on Tracfone.com for $20.

* Link: --> New Tracfone LG 420g Link

* Not bad I guess for a $20 phone - just a basic Flip Phone with an outside display window and a VGA camera.

TurkFone B-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
The LG 420G can also be found in stores now. This was taken at K-Marts in Holyoke, MA this afternoon.
Nobody was around to help take it off the security peg, so I will try and get it tomorrow in Hooksett, NH.

Posted Image

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper .... thanks for the Information and Picture.

* You beat me to it ... I also saw this Phone at one of my K-Marts today as well ($20).

* From looking at it in the store, it doesn't seem to have a colored outside display window? :huh:

* If you're able to to, feel free to post some more Pictures & Information on it ... thanks .. ;)

T*U*R*K B-)

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
I did pick the 420G up in Hooksett on Sunday and will post pics tomorrow.
You'd have to look carefully to tell the difference between the 420G and the 600G, at least on the outside.
Phone is charging right now, but I can tell you that Bluetooth is not locked down.
I turned the phone on and paired it with my laptop then sent a pic to the phone via Bluetooth.
Haven't done much other than that, so nothing else to report right now.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper ... ok, thanks for the updated Information on this phone - post more stuff if you can - thanks.

* I was at a Family Dollar Store today and I see that they are now selling this phone also - for $20.

* I see it says on the package that it has a LCD display? ... does it seem to look better than other phone screens?

LCD Turk B-)

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
There is apparently a 'glitch' with the LG 420G. This was taken from another Forums review on the phone...

Quote:

"Here’s a possible glitch that works to the user’s advantage. When I receive a text message and view it by opening the
phone and reading it on the large inside screen, the 0.3 minute deduction is taken. However, when the phone is closed,
and a message comes in, I am able to read it on the small external screen by using the volume button on the side of the
phone to scroll through it. Reading the text this way prevents the 0.3 minute deduction. Voila, free incoming text messages!"

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* All my K-Mart Stores have put out display models of all the Tracfones & Net10 Phones they are selling.
* So I took a few pictures of the LG 420g with my LG 290c when I was at one of my K-Marts yesterday.
* I think this phone is very cheaply made ... it feels like a kids toy ... all cheap plastic inside and out.
* For the same GSM price, I'd still take the Moto 376g over it ... but that's just my opinion ... to each his own.
* Also, Tracfone.com has this phone for sale now including a free DMFL card ... all for only $20.
* If anyone out there has this phone ... feel free to post a review or you thoughts on it as well ... thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures provided by Turk and his awesome LG 290c B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi Folks! ..... Finally, I have something to contribute.

On August 14, 2010, I saw a Family Dollar ad on TV (in Florida) for the Tracfone LG 420G bundled with a free Bluetooth headset and DMFL, all for $20! With 15 minutes to get to my nearest Family Dollar before closing, (2 stores later actually), I have the real deal in my hands!

Posted Image

I purchased this package at a Family dollar store in Florida.
-
Posted Image

Yes, the headset (LG HBM-210 ) comes with a manual. It has to...as you have to learn how many times to press the multi-function button to do (or not to do) various things. I suggest reading it, or you will find your self last number re-dialing, when you did not mean to. The headset is recharged by the same battery charger as supplied with the LG420G. the book says the headset does 'up to' 400 hours on stand by and 'up to' 11 hours talk time. The book also claims that it takes less than 2 hours to recharge. Of course I have not tested that yet, but usually companies lie on battery life, so you can probably halve that amount until you prove otherwise. I have not tried the headset yet, so I can't speak to the quality yet. But, I have powered it up and listened to confirmation beeps in my healthy ear, and found them to be extremely faint. I can't seem to change the beep level with the + - volume buttons.

-update on the headset. Okay I tried it by placing a call using the headset. Once I paired the headset with my old 600g (the 420 is not ready yet), I heard the beeps, and volume adjustment beeps fine. I tested the received audio to my ear with a known good quality audio source. With the volume on the maximum setting, volume was adequate, (not booming) did not distort, and the audio is very clear. I walked away from my phone the head set was paired with and depending on the the direction I went, I heard some crackling. But in other directions away from my phone, I went 15 feet away and no problem.

Microphone quality. It's okay, and I sounded like myself. It sounds like I am backed away from the microphone a bit, which indeed I was, with the thing on the side of my face and not in the front of my mouth. So that is to be expected. However, -mixed in- with the microphone audio heard at the receiving end is some ringing, swishing jingling (I dunno ) sound that will fade away once you stop talking, and resumes when you talk. In the past, I have only spoke to only one person who used a bluetooth headset before, and he sounded the same way, so my experience is very limited. maybe, 'artifacts' mixed in with microphone audio is to be expected on some units? What ever it is, it's a digital processing thing. My test was based on listening to a voice mailbox and leaving a message, not an actual conversation. People (on the Internet) say that the other person can not hear you at all while they are talking. It was probably done that way to deal with a narrower bandwidth. Being the thing is free, just imagine you are using an old walkie-talkie in which only one person can talk at a time and you'll do fine with it. Besides, momma said it is not polite to talk when others are talking!

Back to my purchase. To think...Just the day before, I was gonna buy this same phone at Wal-Mart, which did not have the headset as well. So it's true, better things keep coming as long as you can wait forever!

I waited and waited for some real reviews on this phone to come out before buying, and as of yet, nothing has surfaced. Maybe I will be the first one to write a review. I turned the thing on, did not bother to activate it yet and just payed around with it. Wow, it's quite different, and a lot more responsive than it's cousin LG600G. I just hope the thing does not drop calls like my LG 600 did.

At this time I would not ask me any questions about it, as I don't know anything yet. I'm just giving a heads up that this bundle is out there.

I may start a new thread dedicated for the 420G and go from there once I have learned the ropes. That may take a while, as there is a lot more to this phone than the 600. But I promise, you have not heard the last from me about the LG 420G!

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

About the external display screen

Turk

* From looking at it in the store, it doesn't seem to have a colored outside display window?

Turk

* I see it says on the package that it has a LCD display? ... does it seem to look better than other phone screens?

On the LG420G there is a bit of color showing on the external display for the battery icon. Can we call that an upgrade?

Both the 420G and 600G have color external displays so I found out. LG just chose lots of gray that's all. I found out the 600 had a color display, though thought to be monochrome, by using a 10x magnifying glass. I can clearly see the red, blue and green segments in both phones external displays.

On the 420g when you have the phone closed and press a volume key, the display will light up and you will either see the time or day but not both like the LG600G. For the 420, you have to press a volume key to cycle between viewing date and time.

I like the old LG600g's external display over the newer 420g. The screen resolution appears to be the same for both, but the icons (signal, battery, etc.) are simply much larger on the 600G. On the 420G, the icons are too small.

The screen is significantly brighter on the 420G compared to the 600G. Probably just a difference in bias fed to the back-lit.

The display on the 420 looks sharper/crisper, but that is just a change in graphics. The 420 does not have any white tracing around the letters, signal, or battery icons. The tracing actually helps in certain lighting instances.

I have also physically measured the external screens on both models, and they are identical in size. The pixel size looks to be the same as well. So it does seem to come down to choice of graphics per model.

Now, on with the picture show!

Posted Image - - Posted Image

I have magnified a section (the signal strength icon) of the external screen on the LG420G (left) and LG600G (right). the images are distorted, due to magnification, but now you can see the red, green, and blue segments. Both have color external display!

No the signal strength icons are not a 'rainbow of colors on the screen, it's just that with the distortion and camera can pick up the color filters.

Note the 'E' on the 420g display. E is for EDGE data mode available.

Posted Image - - Posted Image

Here are both phones side by side. The LG420G is on the right. The surfaces are so glossy, you can see my camera. Note the 420 is not displaying the date as compared to the 600G on the left. To view the date, you have to press one of the volume keys on the side of the phone. The last picture reveals the date.

I like the old 600g display better. Look at the signal strength, and battery icon between the two. And I'd like the date and time on the same screen- thank you!

-Additionally, I re-sized the pictures so that they are like actual size of both phones. I held up the phone to screen to compare...That's eye-balling!

Hope this answers some questions.

KLM

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* KLM .... wow .... thanks for all the Pictures and all that Phone Information!

* I also had this Phone Bundle Special posted on the Tracfone/Net10 Weekly Sales Page - not that it matters.

* This Bundle came out about 2 weeks ago if I recall correctly .... but ya, better than the Walmart deal for sure.

* This phone didn't get that much written about it across the Internet .... I know some liked it and some didn't?

* As far as the the comparison between the LG 600g and the LG 420g...
- I would say the LG 600g should be nicer over all - since it was was $50 when it came out.

* Anyways, thanks again ... hope the phone turns out ok, and you like it ... and let us know more as time goes on .. ;)

TURK B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi Turk,

Doh! I didn't check the weekly sales page. I did look on the Scroll page to see if some one recently posted there...
but I see you have cleaned up that forum and also made a posted stating to just keep it codes only on that page...

I just added an update in my post above regarding the headset itself. I tried it out.

On the some folks likes and dislikes of the LG 420g, there are soft and physical features I don't like about it,
but, that is because I got used to the 600G first. Being my 600G has the famous call drop problem, I have to say
goodbye to all it's nice features and handling, and accept the 'new'. I'm sure after a while I will not mind my dislikes.

Thanks for the suggestion to add to the current LG 420g topic. I did see this section it prior, but did not think to add to it.
I suppose I do not have good forum etiquette yet.

Welp, I'd better go read the weekly sales page now, after the fact!

Thanks Turk,

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

What your LG 420g could be but isn't. (if you live in the US)

(Updated August 24) Read on to download an alternative LG420G owners manual to the one supplied by TF!

I've been doing a lot of homework on the LG 420g, and soon to start releasing what I have found fairly soon.

In the mean time I figured I'd share what your TF family LG 420g, should have come with, but did not.

• Take picture with lid closed. By having the lid closed and press and hold the down volume key only.
  • Transfer files via a USB cable.
  • SD memory card slot. Insert a SD card without taking the phone apart like some models.
  • Speed dial under contacts list
  • Video camera mode under media options.
  • Attach a video to text message.
  • Built in music player and play list creation under media options.
  • No restriction on installing applications and games.
  • e-mail using POP3 or IMAP4.
  • Use LG PC suite software for the PC.
  • A better manual, but still does not tell you everything.

Bummer!

You will find all of what I just mentioned in this LG420G Owners manual that IS NOT the one that comes your phone NOR the one you can download from Tracfone's website. This guide does not just tell you how to make a call and that is it (like TF manuals), but it is still not a through manual. It's not very long, the file size is only 419k in .PDF format, and reveals what were' missing out on.

This alternative LG420G manual can be downloaded at:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/umd26c21wfhh1xr/LG420G-manual-for-O2.pdf

....I'm not done posting LG420G goodies yet....

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Full Internet access on LG420G, and using Opera Mini browser too!

(Last edited Aug 23, Rev. -B-)

Okay, I said I would have some interesting things coming regarding the 420. Some facts, some useful stuff. I'd better get to work....

Yes the LG420 has unrestricted internet. Tracfone phones in the past had restricted access, only to their web portal and that was it.

If you have -Tracfone- service (not Net10 / ST, etc), you are deducted .5 unit per minute of internet use. I think it is higher for the other brands(Net10 / ST ?) If you have the browser open and doing nothing with it, after a few minutes (I dunno how many, but it is just a few), it will self disconnect from the Internet and the browser will stay open, and you can continue to view the existing content.

(wishful thinking) It would be nice if there was a way to just hit a key to quickly disconnect (to save data units) from the Internet service once you have downloaded the web page, but keep the web page open to continue reading it, but it does not work that way.

The browser that come with the phone is usable, but you can go one better by installing Opera Mini web browser. Opera runs very well and very fast on the LG420.

Posted Image
Our forum on a LG420G, using an opera mini browser! I think was using Opera Mini 3.1 Advanced when I took that picture.

Opera mini, gives you basic browsing, which is all you can hope for on such a small screen and $20 phone. Very quickly, Opera Mini has:

-A url box to enter web address

- Google search box which can be swapped out to search other sites like Wikkipedia.

-Bookmarks.

-Recently visited urls.

-Settings to control how content is presented.

-A few other things that vary between Opera Mini versions, and phone capability.

-Tabbed browsing in version 5.

x -BUT NOT 'save pages'. It's in some versions of opera mini, but the 420 does not support JSR-75.

Opera Mini is designed to work on dumb phones that will accept J2ME java. No point in asking which TF phones will work as TF does not support applications much, so you are on your own, just like me. If the browser installs but your phone is prevented from full web access, you will get an error (from experience) right after after TF deducts .5 data unit. No biggie.

Opera mini uses a transcoding-server which processes your requested web pages before feeding it to your phone. The reason- decrease page loading time by resizing files where possible.

Opera mini (depending on version) can present the web page to you a few ways. One way is to have it 'fold up' to fit your small screen. It takes a while to get used to looking at. If you want to have things appear another way, try 'mobile view'.

Posted Image

I have Opera Mini 3, 4 ,and 5 all installed on my LG420 right now. I suggest trying all three, starting with the earliest version. You may find that a newer version is more than you want, etc. Plus starting with earliest first will give you experience time with figuring out the browser (hint use those nav keys on the 'start page' and press every button on the keypad. Also press * or # once and wait a bit. Surprise! # and * each have different menu shortcuts! You'll be delighted with Opera Mini.

The LG420 is a bit restricted on what applications it will take. To get Opera Mini (hint- or other applications and games) to work on the LG420, you have to make some small changes per application, in the .JAR file.

Open the .JAR with Winrar and locate the META-INF folder.

Extract the MANIFEST.MF file and modify it by inserting these two lines at the bottom:

Author: TracFone
TracFone-price: 0.0

Now, save the file and place it back inside the .JAR file under the META-INF folder where it came from.

Upload (by bluetooth only) both the the .JAD and .JAR files to the 420 (will automatically be placed in the 'My Folder / Other files' ) and select install on the .JAR file. Put it in the applications folder once prompted.

(Unrelated but useful fact elsewhere....some phones like the LG600 require you to install applications using the .JAD file instead.)

Opera mini should be installed now. If you get an error at this point, then something was not done properly.

If it installed okay, you'll see the browser 'start page'. Enter in a URL and prepare to have units deducted, cause you're on the web!

I have spent over 50 air time minutes (that's 100 actual minutes in the internet) so far far figuring out the browsers. For this experiment time, my advice is, don't worry too much about the minutes as you can always get more at the store. Just have fun! Eventually your usage will settle down to probably your basic needs on a basic phone.

In the days ahead I'll post more on this topic. I'd look out for possible updates and revisions to this particular 'reply/post'. I'm known to suddenly fix things in my posts.

I have tons of screen shots for the browsers, though none pretty pics by any means (shutter and LCD strobe clashing). I dunno if I will post them all as they were for my own future reference but I'm sure I will share some...

...That, and more stuff I have learned about the LG420G in general. How many posts can a single thread handle?

KLM

mharris127

Thanks KLM for your work on this subject. .... As for number of posts in a thread, I would not worry about it. We have one
thread here going over 600 posts here (the free minute code thread, check it out if you already haven't) and it just keeps
on growing. On another Forum some threads have over 2000 posts and we haven't run into any problems there either.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* KLM .... holy cow! .... thanks for all that Phone Information .... you really did a lot of good work about this phone.

* As far as your post up above talking about of what could have been on the LG 420g, but wasn't?...

* I'm sure you know that Tracfone has a habit of stripping a lot of good stuff off a Phone before they release it .. :ermm:

* No one likes it, but that's what they seem to do most of the time .... almost all Tracfones could have been nicer.

* If they would of left all those "goodies" in the LG 420g, then the phone would of sold for about $60 instead of $15.

* Ps: and don't worry about the post counts .... I have the Topic Post Counts on here set to Unlimited .. ;)

Turk Unlimited B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Thanks Turk,

I just updated post #12, where at the bottom there is a link to the alternative 420g manual.
I could not find where I got it form so I made a 'new home' for it ... heh heh....

I agree on it appearing TF striping features. They probably get a break from the supplier as well to keep the costs down.
I may pay $60 if they kept all the features it could have had.

Heck I paid $50 right from Tracfone.com for my LG 600G thinking it was a good deal at the time (bundled, and was my first phone),
and yet it can't hold a phone call past a minute (famous glitch). Maybe for $10 more I would have had one that worked!

KLM

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Target now carries the 420 with the bright orange DMFL packaging ... Tracfone LG 420G in DMFL packaging.

Posted Image

KLM
Member Avatar

LG600G (and LG420G) battery, car charger, compatibility, and other information

This subject is really for both the LG420G and LG600G. Folks elsewhere have asked where they can get a car charger for the LG600G. Another question was, does the LG420G and LG600G use the same charger. Same batteries? I have both phones, done some tests on the electronics bench and I have answers that Radio Shack does not!

The power sockets for the chargers on each phone are not compatible.

Posted Image

But good news, you can go to Family Dollar and buy a car charger for $6 that will work for both phones, simply by changing tips! The tips screw into the main cord as opposed to other poor designs where the tips flop out.

Posted Image

I tested the charger before connecting it to either of my phones via the proper tip, to make sure it was safe to use. I put an electric load of nearly twice what the LG600G pulls for about 3 times longer than what it would take to charge a phone and it survived. For those tech-heavy, the LG600G (and LG420G) pulls 230mA when charging, then 'staircases' near the end of the charge. At the end of the charge the batteries flag full, and disconnect themselves form source.

The batteries of the LG600G and LG420G, though having different part numbers are interchangeable. I know, I physically tried it.

Posted Image - Posted Image

Interesting discovery- My tests indicate that by the time the LG 420G and 600G report low battery warning, it has only used up about 55% of it's battery capacity. So what about the other 45%? Too bad! But this is normal (explanation below).

General information- Lithium batteries need special care when being charged or else things go very wrong. To be safe a little chip inside the battery, determines how fast the battery charges, how many times it can be charged, and the 'assumed' charge level at the present time, prevents over charging, and excessive discharging, and possibly a few other things like temperature. But yet, lap-tops and things still have battery melt-downs!

One way to prevent meltdowns with lithium batteries is to ensure an aging battery that is loosing it's ability to take on a full charge, like when it was new is not not overtaxed. The little chips 'predict' the life of the battery (and often predict wrong).

Devices like my lap-top, are programmed to have their batteries lose time in how long a charge lasts, and ultimately die in 18 months (or when ever), when the battery itself may still be perfectly good.

The chip we often refer to a 'gas gauge IC', can also talk with 'mothership' (cellphone, lap-top, etc.) and thus can get additional information, signal when the battery is full, low, etc. so it can send you a message, disconnect the charger from the device, and so on.

With that said, here are some further observations on what 420 and 600 does once charging is complete. Both do something different.

My tests on the LG600G shows that once charging is complete the phone electrically disconnects itself from the charger. That is, though the phone is plugged in, it's only drawing power from the battery.

But, what I noticed with the LG600G is that if the phone is still plugged in and you have cleared the charge complete from the the screen, then the display goes dark, the phone begins drawing current from the charger again. It does not appear to be in a charging state but rather just powering the phone for it's needs. I did not do any long term tests but it just may be that you can leave the 600G on the charger say in your vehicle and not run down the phone battery. But in doing so, this can confuse those little chips in the batteries, that never see any charge/discharge cycles, and thus begin to not compute battery life so well, begins to make small errors that grow into bigger errors, and you have no battery one day.

(changing cellphones) About the LG420G, and what it does once charge is complete. Simple, once charge is complete the phone electrically disconnects itself from the charger and runs on battery only, even if you leave it plugged in. I have not tested to see if at some point the phone will decide to take on a charge if the phone is plugged in forever type situation.

(not required reading folks) Bonus for the Tech-heavy, I found an unknown brand of cellphone battery mashed up in the dirt recently. So I drew out a schematic of what I saw.

Posted Image

And know you know to much. Tin foil hats on!

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

LG420G actual battery life

I've cycled the battery a few times since purchasing my 420, and found that the battery will last a full 10 days on a charge if the phone is on standby, only checking phone status (time, missed calls, etc.) a couple times per day.

On a side note, this is an improvement over the LG600G's battery life of 6.5 days on standby.

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

LG420G - Operating in the dark

The LG420G's navigation (up, down, left, right) and select (ok) keys are at times difficult to use touch wise in the day time due to the keys being flush with the rest of the phone. But what about operating in the dark? Not a good idea...

Posted Image

What were you thinking when you designed the keypad LG?

An item of note in the pictures, the lettering on the keypad of the 420 is larger and uses all capitals, presumably for easier viewing.

A comment on keypad tactile response. The response to pressing a key feels the same on both phones, yet the keypads are not constructed the same. After doing some lengthy texting on each phone, I find that the LG420G's keypad does not bother the tip of my finger as much as the 600 does.

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Gaming on the LG420G

Yes, some games are playable on the LG420G.

Where to get games. Lots of places, but lots won't execute either. It must be a J2ME (java for mobiles) based game for starters. One place I have been successful with is:

http://www.mobilerated.com

Links to Tetris and Solitare are:

http://www.mobilerated.com/jetris-1914.html

http://www.mobilerated.com/solytare-1421.html

Somewhere on those pages will be an option to 'send to phone' or 'download to PC'. I chose to download to PC, then I send the files over bluetooth. But not before some changes to a particular file...

(below is a copy and paste with adjustments as needed of my post 13, for your convenience)

The LG420 is a bit restricted on what applications it will take. To get games and applications to work on the LG420, you have to make some small changes per application, in the .JAR file.

Open the .JAR with Winrar and locate the META-INF folder.

Extract the MANIFEST.MF file and modify it by inserting these two lines at the bottom:

Author: TracFone
TracFone-price: 0.0

Now, save the file and place it back inside the .JAR file under the META-INF folder where it came from.

Upload (by bluetooth only) both the the .JAD and .JAR files to the 420 (will automatically be placed in the 'My Folder / Other files' ) and select install on the .JAR file. Put the game in the games folder once prompted.

(Unrelated but useful fact elsewhere....some phones like the LG600 require you to install applications using the .JAD file instead.)

The phone will tell you if the game has been installed. After that goes to the games folder and play it.

Now, for the gaming experience B-)

Folks like to compare gaming quality on different computer builds. Today, we'll be comparing gaming between phones! Yep, you guessed it, the older LG600G versus the newcomer LG420G. We will be testing game loading speed, image quality, sound, and software environment. (don't take things too seriously, these are cheap phones afterall!)

The same version of Tetris and Solitare were installed on each phone.

Posted Image

First up, Tetris! The LG600G is on the left, and the LG420G on right.

Game loading time.

The 420 loads things in general faster than the 600 by a long shot. From the time I selected the game in the games menu to the time the game actually started took 6 seconds on the 420g. It took 17 seconds on the 600g. The LG420 wins the game load time round.

As you can see the game plays on both phones. The trials shall continue...

Image quality

The image appears more crisp (thinner lines due to higher resolution) on the 420. The brightness is lower on the 420, even with the backlit brightness set to max. The 600's LCD segments appear to be overdriven (can see the individual LCD segments). So, the 420's screen is visually better, although the brightness could be bumped up a notch. Higher resolution on the 420 means everything is smaller. Look at the words 'lines, level, and score' between the two phones. I'd give the 420 the better 'image quality', if you don't mind things being smaller.

Sound
So far the LG420 is picking up all the 'wins'. But gaming sound goes to the LG600G!

The original music theme to Tetris sounds much fuller on the old LG600G period (lows). It's truly impressive.

Comparatively, the 600g sounds like PC speaker quality (from a sound card) and the 420g sounds like a cheap tiny phone. But at least you can hear the theme. The audio level from both phones is plenty and can hear it all over the room. There is some distortion on max. Volume setting on both phones if I recall correctly. I just dropped the level back a notch or two from full and the distortion was gone on both phones.

Additionally, as I recall there was a difference in interpretation of the musical tones between the two phones. I don't know how to explain it, im not a musician. In a sense, very loosely put, it is like listening to your favorite melody in .WAV format, and then in .MIDI format. There is just something missing. Again, this is a bad example. The Tetris theme played on the 420 does not sound like MIDI, so don't get spooked.

The winner is...

So, which phone is the winner? Depends on what you can live with really. The fact that you can play a really cool game on a cheap phone while waiting for the bus is a win for all!

The rest of this post is basically pointing out differnece between the two phones just for kicks...

Posted Image

LG600G is on the left, LG420G on right.

Note how the LG600 runs the Solitare game in a 'window'. That is, at the top of the screen, you still see cellphone icons, where as on the 420 you do not.

The 'playing cards' are quite small on the 600G, and you'd better have good eyes. You will need even better eyes when looking at the 420G screen as they are even smaller.

Posted Image

This picture shows what the phones general menus (not just game options) look like in each phone. It's kind of like looking at a windows 98 screen, and then a windows XP screen as far as style goes.

* On interesting thing of note. Look at the option menu that has been pulled up on both phones closely. Both phones have one option that the other does not have, yet it is the same game version on both phones. I'm guessing this is due to how each phone deals with java.

Below are two more samples of what the menu layouts look like per phone. Again, the LG420 is on the right.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Happy gaming! Just don't game while driving! !

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Benchmarks for LG420G (and LG600G)

(This is just for fun)

Can't have a gamer's phone without some benchmarks to back up your claim!

Below are two sets of benchmarks using JBenchmark version 1 and 2, installed on each phone, that test rendering on the LG420G and LG600G. After the tests were complete, I coped the results of each test and made a chart for easy viewing.

Posted Image

The benchmark software claims you have to 'send off' the results to them to be analyzed to make sense of the values. I suggest you not try this. Take a look at Jbenchmark 2 in the "Microedition Platform:" section there is a string of numbers. Part of that string is your ESN and telephone number!

Besides, you have ME to translate the numbers for you.

Look at the JBenchmark version 1 table. In the category '2D shapes', the LG600G scored 271. That's 271(frames) divided by 10 seconds, the length of each test, and you come up with 27 frames per second.

My next post will be on where I have looked for games and applications, that actually work on the LG420G (and maybe LG600G), because I have tried them.

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

(Update: MMS simply started working on my LG420G, so gateway must have been down.)

(Another update) A cure for the stuck red icon - Just empty the outbox!

(I use Tracfone for service) In testing my LG420G, I have found that I can create but not send a Multimedia message (MMS). They take my minutes (beep, beep, beep) and then tell me I cannot send or receive MMS. After the failure, I now have a envelope with a red X icon on the Tracfone wallpaper screen. And Turning the phone off and then on does not eliminate the icon either.

Posted Image

The screen lied about not receiving MMS. MY LG420G does receive them.

So this launches yet another investigation!

I have a LG600G that is also MMS capable. I created a MMS on the 600, and sent it to the stricken 420. It worked.

Then, I tried to send an MMS once more using the LG420G, and lost 1.5 minutes again.

I checked entry code mode parameter 122 in each phone:

LG420G: http://mmsc.cingular.com Doesn't work!

LG600G: http://mms.tracfone.com Works!

Okay, now to see if others have discovered a problem with the the cingular gateway. Googling around, yep...But my findings start form just a few weeks ago to a couple years. So I don't put too much weight in what I found. Some were with Tracfone, and others with the same problem and had cingular for MMS, were from other carriers than than the Tracfone family.

One person about a month ago had a Motorola W376, and contacted TF about the MMS issue. They found that the Cingular entry was incorrect but did not know how to fix it.

Some one else suggested that maybe the gateway is for a different area than they live. How can that be when it's an internet domain were talking about?

I wonder if TF knew of this and is selling the phones with an advertised feature, that does not work. If so, no wonder why they are so cheap! (smile)

Just another disappointment. I feel bad for anyone with a W376, MMS is the only way to get any pictures off of the phone!

I figured I'd start this thread in case others experienced the same problem. It looks like it is not just related to one phone. Just the ones that are not programmed right. I say that, because the 420G at this time is kinda new, and the 600G is a couple years old and MMS works just fine.

KLM

- - --

(non-required reading) Some of my digging around about the MMS issue led me to:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/35815?tstart=0#35815

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Messaging/MMS-Setting-Proxy-wireless-cingular-com-not-valid-anymore/m-p/1897387

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* KLM .... man, would that suck! .... since that is the only way to get a picture off your phone (like you said).

* I have a feeling that not all LG 420gs are like this ... I think you (and maybe some others) just got a lemon?

* Plus, I don't think Tracfone is totally at fault, they can't check out every phone before selling them - just like all electronics.

* I don't know how to help with this situation, and apparently Tracfone CS doesn't either? (as you mentioned) :ermm:

* As far as the Moto 376g troubles went for that person you mentioned - I say the same thing, they got a lemon also.

* For I had the Moto 376g for over a year and never had any problems with it - and the same goes for many others.

* Sorry man to hear about your phone problem .... hope you can figure it out and get it working properly .. :-/

* Good luck, and let us know how you make out ... thanks .. ;)

Turk CS B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi Turk,

Actually you can get pictures off of the LG420G by bluetooth to their computer, which is the only route my phone has left to take.

I don't do MMS, but I can imagine it would be nice to have in case I needed it. Also, if you created a horrendously long text (text only), it would be cheaper to send by MMS.

I'd like to hear from others that can't pictures (LG420G or not), but should be able to, and see what their parameter 121 looks like.

Too bad you do not have your W376G anymore, we could dissect it!

On lemons and not TF's fault. I have hesitated on finger pointing, as I'd like some more detail, but have not been satisfied on what I found on the net so far. But, some one has to put this stuff on the SIM (I assume that is where param 121 is stored), and as we know, TF is some how always ending out new Sims to fix problems or for customer satisfaction cases.

As per previous post, others with different carriers at different dates, have found that their MMS was dead with it used cingular. What I would like to find is a company statement some where that says 'were not hosting other cell companies traffic any more' or the like.

Back to the LG420G. I have been sitting on the fence on whether to recommend this phone or not. though -I- don't do MMS, I'm sure others would like the capability, especially if they do not have bluetooth connectivity to their computer. If this problem is not curable, or TF does not want to help, the crippled functionality could be a deal buster for some, not not all users.

I'd call TF myself and see what they say to me, but after much surgery recently, I can forever be hardly understood on the phone now. Hopefully, some one who has this problem will suffer TF for me and post here :) I'll probably find a way to communicate with TF on this. (Visting TF web site...) Ah! I can try tech support by e-mail!! A new TF 'adventure' begins! yeah you don't need to say it, I'll post here on the outcome. :)

KLM

AKmaro1
Member Avatar

The only thing I would add to this discussion is my experience with my old Moto W370, earlier stripped down version of the 376. My luck with sending MMS messages was hit and miss. Sometimes a file would send, then sometimes it wouldn't. Bigger files I sweated over, 'cause the speed was so slow. It took forever to send, and then it might show sending failed 1/2 way through.

Now my new LG 290c CDMA with the fantastic 3G sticker on it, sends and receives files without a hiccup, and incredibly fast! So whether this is an issue with Trac's GSM service vs. CDMA, I don't know. But I'm not going back to GSM anytime soon!

And I think Turk'll back me up on this one! B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Welp, I'm back already. It only took Tf only a few hours to respond to my message. Not bad!

But, they still want to talk to me or some one being they need to "check your phone's internal
settings, and perform some troubleshooting steps in order to fix the problem".

Sooo...That's round 1. I still plan to pursuit the issue at this time, and will share with all the outcome.

- - - -

Thanks AKmaro1 for the input. The failure to send is consistent on the 420G and the 600 is still MMS'ing no problem.

Yes it seems everyone would like CDMA where possible.

I have a phone with 2G and one with EDGE. 2G is a minute eater/time waster for sure. With the EDGE it's not bad at all...
It's several times faster than my dial-up actually. Too bad I can't do that tethering thing as well as being cost effective right?

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Good news, My LG420G suddenly was able to send multimedia messages!

I had never attempted to send an MMS with this phone until yesterday and it was an instant failure, but not before taking my minutes in the attempt. I feared I had a bum phone. I'm glad that is not the case.

I mentioned I would call Tracfone and that I would post about how that turned out...

I tried to send an MMS a half hour before calling Tracfone support. I lost more minutes trying. Time to call.

I was on hold for about 2 minutes and and only with the rep. for 14 minutes.

The rep was s-l-o-w-l-y walking me through the process of sending a test message. He had me send a SMS, not MMS to myself. The SMS worked. So I re-worded my problem. He then had to go speak to his supervisor. That did not take long and he was back. While he was away I MMS'd myself and it was actually working at this time.

When he came back he wanted me to do another test working my way up to MMS'ing. I stopped him short, told him I got it to work once, and asked if he would wait on the line while I tried to send an MMS to another phone. He had no problem waiting.

I MMS'd another phone and the message was delivered. I thanked the rep for staying on the line, and told him it looked like the situation resolved within the last hour and that was it.

I sent a few more MMS since and all is okay still.

AKmaro1 could be right on the hit and miss. System wise at least. I was sitting still and in the same location when MMS was not working through the day and when I discovered it was working.

Again, glad it's not the phone! That made my day.

And +1 for TF customer service. No wait time to speak of and he was patient. And....He could understand me better which is an amazing feat for anyone, than I could understand him (low volume).

KLM

sdot

Speaker Phone option for the LG 420g:

After going thru the instruction manual and not finding any instructions for operating the speaker phone, we got
to playing with the phone. As it turns out, the speaker phone is activated by answering the phone call and then
depressing the "increase volume" key on the side of the phone.

The volume on speaker phone is not all that loud, but loud enough to use in an operating car.

--jj

KLM
Member Avatar

Thanks for the post sdot.

You are right that the instructions provided with the LG420G do not explain the use of the speaker phone feature.

:) My 420's speaker phone feature is enabled or disabled by pressing the 'select' key instead (center button between the navigation keys.) The increase/decrease volume buttons on the side of my phone appear to only change the call volume in both handset mode and speaker phone mode.

And as you pointed out, toggling speaker phone enable or disable is only possible once you have connected with the caller.

I agree the speaker phone volume is not overly loud but adequate in most cases. Not going to get much power out of low voltage devices, and maintain some sort of battery life.

Posted Image

Note at the bottom of the (not so good) screen shot 'Options' (left soft key) - a speaker symbol (select key) - and 'Mute' (right soft key) are shown.

During a call, once you press the select key, a very brief message appears 'Speaker on'.

Now, that the speaker is on, the speaker icon has a ' X ' (another poor picture) over it indicating, another press of the select key will disable the speaker phone feature.

Good topic to bring up.

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Where to get games and applications for the LG420G and possibly LG600G...

* * * Link to my list of Games and Aps known to work or not work at bottom of this post * * *

After some digging around on the Internet, I found quit about more games and applications that I had expected for my phone.

Here I will list the sites I went to and after that, give you some key words to better target your searches.

Once you have found an application, and you own a LG420G, you will need to make a modification first. See last half of post #13 of this thread where I begin by saying: The LG420 is a bit restricted on what applications it will take. To get Opera Mini (hint- or other applications and games) to work on the LG420, you have to make some small changes per application, in the .JAR file.

If you are going to try apps. on the LG600G, or any other phone but the LG420G, do not make any changes to the files. If you do, they will not run.

Big Tip: When downloading you may be presented with two files ending in .JAD and .JAR. Grab them both, but all you -should- need, and the one you will 'launch', is the .JAR file. I only bring this up as some older Tracfones seemed to choke when they encountered the .JAD file (LG600G), but if you have a LG420, LG900, LG800, and newer. both files are OK and could actually help your phone set up things better.

Though I did not save any direct links for all the aplets, I did keep notes on successful acquisition sites. Starting with what I thought was the best site:

http://handheld.softpedia.com - Huge collection. (at current web page design) At the top hit the 'Handheld' tab. Then in the menu on the left Look under games, internet utilities, or another category. Once you are in the desired category look up towards the top right hand of the page for 'Normal', 'Freeware', and 'Shareware'. I'd hit the freeware first!. Now that you have done all that, and say you find a game you like, you need to read the details for compatibility, specifically where it says Platform: Java, and ignore the ones for iPhone, Blackberry, etc.

http://mobile360.org - Huge collection. Lots of them are for smarter phones (not yours). And some games that look really good, end up having to pay for after you have installed it (wants to phone home and burn minutes). Again, look for java based applications, avoid the rest.

http://sourceforge.net You'll find a lot of other sites will point their links to sourceforge.

http://www.mobilerated.com They want you to tell them what our phone is before having a look. This might be too restrictive, so I picked a better dumb phone. this site can be hard to deal with. Don't stress over it and move onto another site.

http://java.mob385.com Older stuff for older phones. Has not been updated in forever, but I found a few things of interest.

http://ngphone.com/j2me/opensource/game.htm Drawing a blank on this one...Sorry...

http://www.getjar.com PAY SITE 'nuff said.

I picked really simple games for my phone thinking that is all it can handle. But later I found out through simulations, it can handle 2D stuff really well. (Note: not the LG600 though)

Searching tips you really should read

Here are some key words to aid you in your search, especially googling...

The 420 and 600 will run J2ME type games and apps. It's the phones operating system. J2ME stands for 'Java 2 Microedition'.

Searching for J2ME does not net the results you really want depending on how you search. Words that work better are 'Java midlet' or 'Java midlets'.

Searching for something like 'Games for LG420G' is too restrictive as no body supports Tracfones remember?! The only sites that will turn up are the ones that want money or something else and in the end you don't get what you want.

Other things that may help on some web sites, but not all, is knowing or supplying the screen size of the phone. You won't find this answer on the internet anywhere else, so this is a Turk forum exclusive! If anything it will keep you from obtaining a program you can't use.

The screen size of the LG420G is 176x202. This is the what I called the windowed screen size. This is the big available space in between the top of the screen where you have all the status icons, and the bottom of the screen, where you have some thing like 'Options' and 'Back' for soft key choices. The full screen size is 176x220. (note I counted more pixels than that but manually, but...) So look for or supply 176x202 or 176x220. By the way, if you are looking for wallpaper, 176x220 of course.

For the LG600G the windowed resolution is 128x132 reported and the full screen is 128x148 reported by the phone (u won't find it). Getting apps and wallpaper for 128X160 (a typical size) should work good enough.

No, the applications will not 'resize' to fit your screen. Most of the graphics you see in the app. will be .PNG or .BMP - fixed. If you get an application which was designed for say a 320x240 screen, you'll only have hte left half of the program, no panning, and with the programs I have tired, the controls won't blindly extend out to the right either.

You can have applications that are smaller than your resolution, but as small as the screen is, go for every pixel you can get!

It would also help if you know what software you want in the first place. Such as 'Yahtzee Java midlet'.

* * * Games and applications I have tried, success, partial success, or failure.... * * *

My notes (or ramblings?) on this subject got longer than I thought they would. So, to cut down on the length of this post, I just uploaded the list to a server and you can download it if you choose. The other reason for the file upload is that I may update it in the future. Of course everything is at your own risk to your phone, etc.. You have to forgive any typos or grammatical's, as I'm doing all the homework anyway right? I'm not getting graded for neatness.

What you'll find in the text is notes on various web browsers, dictionaries, e-mail clients, and of course- games.

You can download the plain text file here. Last update 2010 September 30 and link repaired.

Have fun!

KLM
Edited by KLM, June 13, 2011, 3:44 pm.

Sandi-K

KLM, I just bought an LG 420G and was looking for information. Found you. Thank goodness!
I'm a senior and need all the help I can get! Thanks for being so thoroughly helpful.

Haven't activated this phone yet, but have question on taking pics.
Once I take pics, I was told to take the phone to WalMart and I'd be able to have them all put on a CD.
How do I do that? And is there another way I can get pics from my phone to my PC directly?

THX!
Sandi

KLM
Member Avatar

Taking pictures with the LG420G, and options available for exporting them:

Hello Sandi,

You have brought up a good topic, one I had planned to get to.... today!
I'll do a review on the camera feature, picture quality, and how to transfer the pictures.

Real quick, no you cannot go to Wal-Mart with the phone itself for picture processing. The phone does not
permit communication via a cable to the PC (USB port). But, yes you can transfer the pictures to the PC, by
e-mailing them to your self (phone to e-mail account on PC), or with a bluetooth dongle plugged into your PC.
If you have a lap-top some laptops have bluetooth built in.

* I'll be back later on today with the review *

! It's done ... See next post !

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Taking pictures with the LG420G, and options available for exporting them:

Posted Image
LG420G camera mode screen.

The LG420G (and LG600G) has a .3 megapixel camera, with the highest possible resolution be 640x480. There are three quality settings- normal, fine and super fine. I suggest leaving the camera set at the highest resolution and super fine as the pictures taken are not 'super', but good enough for 'quick-n-dirty' photography. There is no auto focus. Light metering appears to be fixed at average (camera talk) Makes a fair photocopier on the fly too. I'll discuss picture quality in a bit. But remember, it's a $20 phone with the primary function of making phone calls.

There is also a 'burst shot' mode, found under options > Shot mode > Burst shot, while you have the camera mode enabled. This is where with the touch of the shutter button, the camera will take a user defined number of shots (3, 6, or 9), back to back, as fast as possible. This mode is used in action scenes', like taking a burst of pictures of your dog doing a happy dance. To speed up the phones capturing speed, which even so is not blazing fast (blurry shots), the resolution automatically shrinks to 320x240.

No, the camera does not do video. It was capable until it was stripped out for Tracfone users. If it did, the videos would be real dinky, and choppy.

Picture quality

Note that I will be making comparisons between the LG420G and it's cousin the LG600G to see what LG has been up to.

Pictures taken by the 420 and 600 are not stunning at all. They are very much like the early camera phones. Good enough for a quick picture, but not good enough for framing in my opinion. So don't think that the phone will replace your digital camera on that trip to Disney World.

Both phones will allow you to adjust the white balance, brightness, and a couple of other adjustments, to attempt to improve the picture. When I took my sample pictures, I left both cameras at default settings, except where noted, which I feel most users will do.

Color reproduction is better on the 420, but pictures come out darker. Pictures are not generally washed out like the 600. You can also pick out a lot more detail in the picture compared to the 600. I will explain all this with comparison pictures and descriptions/notes provided below each picture. Pictures taken using the LG420G, LG600G and a few picks form a point and click camera just for fun! For 22 sample pictures, visit: http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy85/klm2010/LG420G%20camera%20comparison/

If I had to pick which phone takes a better picture, I would say the LG420G. Better colors though darker picture, and does not suffer as much form JPG file compression (lots of smudging) as with the LG600G. But I'd still keep my point and click camera on me!

The shutter speed of the LG600G I have noted at either at about 1/15th or 1/30th of a second. At this slow speed, you risk getting a blurry image if the phone and the subject are not rock steady. I do not know what the shutter speeds are for the LG420 as it is not defined in the EXIF. I'd have to do some 'round about' tests to see if it is faster, but I'm not that interested.

For camera buffs, both phones provide some EXIF data (details about how the picture was taken) with each picture. The LG600G provides more information than the 420.

The amount of pictures your phone can hold, depends on available memory. You can use up all memory on pictures if you like. Right now, my 600 estimates it can take 77 pictures and my 420 estimates 34. The reason why my 420 estimates a lower number is that I have my phone stuffed with other memory hogging experiments at the moment. It should noted that the 420 has more memory than the 600. Neither phone as a removable memory card for extra storage. To find out how many pictures you can take, simply be in the camera mode, and look at the number near the battery icon.

On the LG420G in camera mode, there is the option to have the 'viewer' set to full or landscape. To use this option activate camera mode, then press the < left navigation key once for 'view'. now press the select key (button in the middle the navigation keys) to toggle between landscape or full view. Note, that if you are taking a picture in full screen, you will not visually see the 'whole picuture' that you are about to capture, and this is why I mention this option. To really see what you are going to get, you need to go to the landscape mode.

After you have taken the picture, you can doctor it up using the phones editor. You can rotate, resize, including set to phone sized wallpaper, insert text (with a text bubble even!, element (an object), clipping (crop), image defect (blurs/distortions), and special effects (black and white, Sepia, negative), add frames (whimsical kind), and mirror (flip image). Not bad for a cheap phone. Dig around in the picture files options for 'Edit'.

There are so many other camera options, features, and how to figure out, that I could write for a week. I'll leave the adventure to you as we move on.

Sending / transferring pictures from the phone

Unfortunately you cannot simply connect a cable between the 420 or 600 and your computer to transfer pictures or anything else for that matter. Also there is no external media card to take to of the phone. So this means you cannot go to Wal-Mart or Walgreens with just your phone and expect pictures to be processed. But there are ways to export pictures.

1. Send picture via e-mail
Your first thought is, "Ooo...That burns minutes!" Yes it does. As a 'multimedia' message you will have no less than 1.5 minutes deducted on a Tracfone. The longer it takes to send, the more is deducted. Good thing the 420 (with EDGE) is way faster than the LG600G (2G). With the 420G, you can safely mail 3 pictures at once, possibly 4. The limit is like 295k for attachments. When you are in the messaging screen and you have switched from 'text' to 'multimedia message' (switching is burried in the messaging option menus), in the right hand corner of the screen will be a handy data counter. The more you add, the lower it will get.

If you have just snapped a picture and node nothing else (pushed other buttons) you will see the icons (options) towards the bottom of the screen have changed slightly. Navigate your way down to the 5 picture icons. Now press < left arrow once and a little box should briefly say 'send'. Press select and you can immediately send that picture. You options for sending are message and bluetooth.

I'll get to send via bluetooth in a bit. But if you choose send message, (this is handy) it will take you right to the messaging screen and automatically attach the picture you just took. Put in an e-mail address in the To: field. Once done press the down navigation key. The options at the bottom will now include 'Send'. Sooo.....Send if you want to, and let the minutes be deducted! If sending to PC, check your mail! You can also send to another multimedia message (MMS) capable phone by entering in a phone number instead of an e-mail address.

??? Problems entering in a e-mail address? Is it all numbers coming up? The phone is in numbers mode. (skip this if you know how to text well) This is fine if you want to send to another phone. But if you want to send the pictures to your PC we're going to have to get out of number entry only mode to be able to send e-mail. This forces me to side-track to another tutorial! Argh! If you have not had experience in sending an e-mail with the phone, here are some quick tips. When you add an address and it seems to be all numbers showing up, you need to switch text case/number mode. Look at the right corner of the screen below the time and below how much space remains for attachments. You will see one of the four following 123, abc, Abc , ABC. You want to get it out of the numbers (123) mode. To do this press the * key repeatedly until you get something other than 123. That arrow symbol next othe * key means to 'shift' case (mumbers letter,case). Also, E-mail address are not case sensitive either so don't worry about that. Now to add the @ and . symbols to properly format an e-mail. Press the '1' key again and again quickly until you get the right character. Make a mistake and need to erase a character, push the 'C' (between send and end) Okay that's it for quick tips. Back to sending.

While still talking about sending pictures, lets say you want to send a picture you have taken previously, that is now stored in your phone. If you still happen to be in the camera mode you can hit the left navigate button until you reach album. Or if not in camera mode, you can head to 'pictures' under the 'My folder' menu. Once there, select your picture you wish to send.

Next go to Options > Send. Once you are in send menu, for now, familiarize yourself by scrolling through the whole list. You will see Message, bluetooth, and also print via bluetooth. You now know the 3 methods by which you can export pictures. We have already covered send via e-mail.

2. Sending pictures by Bluetooth (to computer)
This requires computer smarts, as you have to install an configure bluetooth for your computer, if it does not have bluetooth already. Don't bank on "Plug-n-play". You will need to buy a USB bluetooth adapter. Then you have a lot more to learn after that. Like where to the files go by default during transfer, what happens if you try to send them elsewhere and it doesn't work (varies by software), glitchly software., drivers, paring devices, answering prompts often and so on. I'm an advanced user, but never tried BT before, and I found it a hoo rah to figure out. But now that I have, it's a piece of cake to use every time. If you have never used bluetooth on a PC I'd get some one to come over and help. Seriously.

* Tip: In your LG420G, when working with bluetooth, you want t have your visibility set to 'visible'. That way if you want to send something from PC to phone (a game), your computer can look for a and 'see' your phone. Oh the eternal tech supporting could go on and on! To set your phone to visible: Settings > Connection > Bluetooth > Settings (yes to turn on BT question > My Visibility. Once that is done the phone will remember it. Now go turn your bluetooth back off to save juice!

3. Print via bluetooth
The LG600G cannot do this option, but the LG420G can. I never tried it as I do not have the needed printer hardware. So all I can do is assume here, where is not good. If you have a printer with built in bluetooh. I assume you just turn the bluetooth on in your phone, search for devices, and wait for the printer to show up, then you 'pair' with the printer and you are set to print direct to printer. If you do not have a bluetooth enabled printer, there are adapters specifically made to plug into the USB port on your printer. How much they cost, or if they really work, I dunno, but you want bluetooth 2.0 (not 1.0) for much faster transfer speed. That's all I can say on this option.

My thoughts on which 'Send to' to use
If you are just staring out, this is my advice. Go with option 1 the first few times just to evaluate. Yes it deducts a few minutes to send by mail, but you don't have to initially by any adapters or fool with configurations, all to find out you may not be sending all that many pictures with your camera phone as you thought you would. Due to the quality of the pictures you may not feel it is worth it the extra expense or time.

If you plan to do a lot of data (pictures and other stuff) transfers like I have been doing during my experiments, getting bluetooth going is the way to go. Once it is set up and you know how to pair up devices it's nice- it's wireless! Ask a friend who won't mess up your computer for help if you need to. Everybody's computer and hardware is different, so it would be hard for some one to tell you what to do over the internet. Especially if they just crashed it, and now you can't bluetooth, or anything else!

The Print via bluetooth thing. Fine you you have a printer with that feature, but you will probably want to save that image to your computer or put it on a CD at some point right?. A printer won't do this for you. I frown on buying an adapter made just for the printer, that would be all it is good for. More expense.

As you might guess this is not a step by step on everything, so try not to hang on every word. Keep your eyes open, look all over every screen for options and take lots of notes. Don't be afraid to explore your phone. Honestly, that is the reason why I purchased the 420- just to figure it all out. It's not even my main phone nor does anyone have the number to it.

Have fun!

KLM

Sandi-K

Thanks for the quick reply, KLM. Will check back to see your review.

I need to remind you, however, that I am a "senior" and not at all savvy re these devices.

Can you please explain "phone to e-mail account on PC"?

And...what is a "bluetooth dongle"? Where do I get it? How much does it cost?

THX!
Sandi

Sandi-K

PS: I composed my previous post earlier in the day, got distracted for hours, came back and
added it BEFORE I read your latest info. Sorry about that.

Once again I really do want to thank you for taking so much time to explain everything in detail.
Now I need to go back and read it again and then do a "test run".

Thanks again!
Sandi

KLM
Member Avatar

Sandi-K

Can you please explain "phone to e-mail account on PC"?
And...what is a "bluetooth dongle"? Where do I get it? How much does it cost?

Okay will give you time to read up on my long dissertation :)

I think my long speel previously will cover sending pictures form your phone to an e-mail account on your computer. when you get to reading about it.

Bluetooth dongle....It's probably called 'USB Bluetooth adapter' in most circles. It's a tiny thing, about the sized of a USB flash drive /memory stick. I bought mine for $20 at Wal-Mart 18 months ago. I'm sure there is cheaper else where but I wanted one right then, and so I paid the price. Having a quick look at My Wal-Mart today, They don't carry adapters anymore. Not surprised. Best buy has them I am sure, but they will cost more.

As I mentioned on my last post, this is not simply plug the bluetooth adapter in and you are done. No no....Not in my experience at least. If you are not used to installing drivers, answering install questions, hunting down where your files actually ended up, get some one with genuine computer smarts to to help you. And again, computers, software, and hardware vary a lot so there is no one one easy 'here's how you do it for all' answer.

I highly suggest my option #1 in my previous post. eMail pictures from the phone to your PC and see if if the picture quality is good enough for your purposes before making another hardware/support investment.

I wish they made it simple, and they really could, but manufactures or peripherals tend to develop poor software, that doesn't always work well to boot. They just don't care.

Perhaps some one can chime in here if a have a BT adapter that came with software that 'manages' things very easily for users that don't want hassle. I myself have only the one adapter and my experience for bluetooth is limited to that.

Best wishes,

KLM

rufus_tark

Hi, thanks for all the research you have done.
I just bought one of these yesterday at a Dollar General in Albuquerque for $15.00 w/Double minutes for life.
I'm thinking this is a great phone for the price.

One question, do you think this phone can be taught to 'call forward'?

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/choosing-features-services/call-forwarding.jsp

I had read this thread but it doesn't seem to work...
Maybe my underlying carrier here doesn't support call forwarding or i don't have the right *code to use.

Thanks very much if you can help and also for the better user manual..

T.A.

KLM
Member Avatar

@rufus_tark - I have looked at posts going back several year on many topics, and I've not heard of any Tracfone/Net10/straight talk phone being able to call forward. I don' know much call forwarding but that sounds like something that is done not at the phone level but at a 'building' full of computers some where.

I'm sure some one will come along here who has a better understand of the call forwarding mechanism in general and enlighten us all. :)

KLM

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* rufus_tark .... if you are new to Tracfone, all I have to say is that Tracfone phones are the bottom of the barrel phones.

* They are very, very limited in what they can do - they are pretty much polished crap - just be happy it can make a call! (LOL) ^_^

* Ok, joking aside .... I never heard (over the years) of Call Forwarding either on Tracfone phones?

* And I am pretty sure Tracfones don't have that feature - sorry ..... but if I am wrong, someone feel free to correct me.

* Ps: KLM ... once again, thanks for the awesome work/Info you did on this LG 420g phone...
- it has to be the best in-depth review of any phone on the Internet! .. ;)

TurkFone B-)

rufus_tark

Yep, a call to tracfone confirms it does not have this feature, i.e. the LG 420G and call forwarding.

I do have a tracfone that does have call forwarding, a motorola v170. Now knowing that tracfone's new
phones don't have this feature I will keep it around. It's built into the phone menu so that seems safe.

I know they are junk (tf) , but this LG seems ok for what i need.

Great forum, many thanks.

KLM
Member Avatar

Wow, and now we know ,at least one (old) TF has call forwarding ability and that it is in the phone. I assumed it would be in computer some where because I can't picture how a cellphone gets a call, and can start dialing out to another phone number at the same time. Surely the carrier has something to do with this. If so, all carriers may not do it.

If TF cannot make money off of call forwarding, they would not be interested in subsidizing a phone that does it. :)

Now we all need to go back and see if our old phones will call forward...Too bad my LG600G ran out of airtime today, finally, with no plans to renew.

As I wade through the menus, I don't see anything about call forwarding on my moto W260G.

Quote:

i know they are junk (tf) , but this LG seems ok for what i need.

If you get a working phone, never need to contact TF (stress), and it's mostly between you and the carrier, 'things' are generally good.

Turk

* Ps: KLM ... once again, thanks for the awesome work/Info you did on this LG 420g phone...
- it has to be the best in-depth review of any phone on the Internet! .. ;)

Thank you Turk! Maybe in time if TF offers some bundled phones with air time cards to where I basically get the phone for free, and when I need more airtime, I'll buy-in, and do an in-depth review on another phone some time, -if- the phone is worthy ha! ha!

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Call forwarding does work on LG420G (GSM) with a AT&T SIM

rufus_tark's inquiry about call forwarding made me curious as to how it works. So I went into tinkering mode. Generally good things come of this ;)

Though I did get it to work on my LG420G, it did not not work on my Moto W260G (GSM) which also has a AT&T SIM. With the 260 I get 'Check call restrictions -5' immediately after entering the sequence to call forward.

So it at least depends on which phone you use. I do not know if there are differences or availability for other carriers or if it will work on CDMA phones, as I have not tried it.

Anyway, to call forward, it seems that the phone must be able to send a string of numbers and characters to the carrier. The carrier, AT&T in this case, recognizes the information and remembers it. By example- If you send instructions to the carrier to unconditionally forward your cellphone calls to another phone number, the carrier will intercept the incoming call, and not even bother to ring your cellphone, and simply ring the forwarded number. I actually made a successful call in this way. It definitely works.

And, it did not burn any cell phone airtime being the cellphone is not involved. The process is literally between carrier - incoming caller - destination number, just like I thought it would be.

Here are 3 different ways you can have call forwarding handled.

Unconditional call forwarding Cell phone on, off, unavailable, out of range- calls will be forwarded to a number you specify.

Enter: **21*+1(area code/number)# then press the SEND key.

The LG420G will display:
Posted Image

If successful you will see:

Posted Image
Unconditional forwarding (Note the forward number does not appear on the screen, but it does on other modes)

To disable call forwarding just enter #21#[/b/]

You will then see:
Posted Image
Call forwarding has been canceled.

Another call forwarding option

Forward if no answer If you don't answer your cell phone in 10 seconds (default)- the call will be forwarded to the provided number.

Enter: **61*+1(area code/number)# then press the SEND key.

If successful the phone will display:
Posted Image
Forward if no reply (note the forwarded number does appear in this mode (blotched out))

To deactivate #61#

And yet another call forwarding option

Forward if unavailable If your phone is turned off or out of range- the call will be forwarded to the provided number.

Enter: **62*+1(area code/number)# then press the SEND key.

If successful the phone will display:
Posted Image
Forward if unavailable (note the forwarded number does appear in this mode (blotched out))

To deactivate #62#

And there are a zillion other sequences (okay I know of over a hundred at least) to tweak forwarding options such as changing the number of rings before taking action, and pre-defining the forwarded number for future use.and much more beyond forwarding, but for now- keep it simple and play with this.

At that, my LG420G review, assisted by rufus_tark's queries, keeps growing....I figured it would be on page 4 or something by now but....

KLM

horao

rufus_tark:

I do have a tracfone that does have call forwarding, a motorola v170. Now knowing that tracfone's new
phones don't have this feature I will keep it around. It's built into the phone menu so that seems safe.

I just checked my wife's Moto v170 and although it's in the menu:

Settings>Call Forward>Voice Calls

- selecting it is disabled.

horao promises he's not trying to hijack the thread ... :ermm: ^o)

millept

KLM - I wonder if all TracFones are supposed to be restricted from forwarding by default, and maybe your LG420G slipped through by mistake.

KLM
Member Avatar

@horao - I do not have a V170, so I dunno what the menus are like. But do you think that the voice calls disabled is just a status report/reminder? That is, if you entered the forwarding sequence and it was accepted, and then you went back to that same menu, maybe it would say 'activated' ?

@millept - Hmmm..If my LG420 was the only one that could call forward while all other TF phones are restricted, maybe I should sell mine on e-bay ha! ha!

Now you have me wondering if all the 'experiments' I have done to this phone has broke it free from 'TF's lockdowns. There's a lot I have come across that I have not posted about. Most of it is beyond what most people can do, so not much point in posting about it.

I think everyone's 420 should be able to call forward however. someday if I have the time, I need to research if it is carrier and or technology specific. Of course other 420 owners can try it at their own risk.

Cheap pre-paid disposable phones are fun!

KLM

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I was out and about today ... and I stopped in one of my many Walmart Stores and saw this on the rack:
* A Tracfone LG 420g Bundle Pack (Phone + DMFL + Free Accessory Kit) .... price was $20.
* The store worker told me they just came in today .... I had my TurkFone, so I took a picture .. ;)

Posted Image

Picture provided by Turk and his awesome LG 290c B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Thanks Turk for the LG 420G WM bundle news. I had not seen that bundle in my few WM's in the area yet.
As mentioned before, Florida seems to be last for everything.

In other brief news, the LG website claims that the LG 420G has a 1.3 megapixel camera.
Well....at least the ' .3 ' part is right at least ha! ha! http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/LG-LG420G.jsp

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Address Contacts Import / Export on the LG420G

Yes, Import and Export of contacts does work on the LG420G. Files must be in .VCF format. I dunno if this is a Tracfone first or not. Maybe some one will tell us.

I'm not an address book wiz, nor do I use windows address book, our Outlook. So this is not a how-to, but a proof type thing. I won't tech support this issue ;)

Okay a really quick how to. The rest is up to you to figure out how to do it with your setup. This is what I did, and worked for me (proof).

Have the 420 and what ever other device already 'paired' up and ready to go.

* Export - from LG420G to PC or another capable phone.

In the LG420G, go to the contacts screen > Settings >Send All Contacts via Bluetooth. Press 'select'.

The 420 appears to create a temporary file called 'Whole_Contacts.vcf' which will take a while depending on the number of contacts you have. It does not seem to save this file anywhere.

Once that 'Saving...' (huh?) screen goes away, another screen will appear where you select the device you want to send all contacts to. If you are paired properly, you should see your device (another phone or PC).

Next it will establish a connection to the other device for exporting. And there it goes....

What the phone has done is send every contact in a separate .VCF file (definitely not Whole_Contacts.vcf) . If you have 10 contacts you will have 10 files. Files are saved in where ever your OBEX file transfer stuff has been going to. Where (in a PC) depends and what software you are using, and like I said, I'm not getting that involved. Personally I use Win XP, and the files are sent to C:\Documents and Settings\myusernamehere\My Documents\Bluetooth Exchange Folder. If you can't find your's, use windows explorer and do a file search for *.VCF, and let it go until you recognize your phones contact names. Then make a note as to where they got saved to. Primitive but if your lost...

* Importing .VCF contacts to the LG420G - What everyone always wants to know about with a new phone, but never gets an answer (besides no) until now!

Again you may have to do some self tech support here, as it depends on your lashup.
For me, I knew where the .VCF file was on my (XP) computer already so I right clicked on the file and did a Send to: >Bluetooth > LG402G. Or use what ever program you have experience with to send files to another buetooth device with.

What your PC has done is send the .VCF to the LG420G. The LG40G WILL RECOGNIZE the .VCF INSTANTLY, display a message saying it saved the contact and lists the vile name It will ask if you want to view it now. If yes, you can go in and edit it if need be. also note, there is a copy of the the .VCF you just sent to the 420, in the 420's Other files directory. you can delete that and keep your phone memory freed up for other things!

* Screenshots:

Posted Image Posted Image
Exporting what you will see....

Posted Image Posted Image
Export what you'll see...

Posted Image
Last pic - IMPORT...SWEET!

You know, I come up with some of this stuff because people ask can it so and so be done. And I just keep coming up with answers besides the usual 'no'! :D

Okay, back to my tear down analysis, of a cell phone. Where was I....Oh yeah jump 16....Hmm.....What secret does it hold...

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

LG420G cure for the stuck MMS icon with red X over it

Posted Image

(read posts above to catch up on this saga)

(Credit goes to IsLand_BoY for figuring this one out, from experience.)

As posted above, MMS service was not available when I tried to send an MMS with my LG 420G.
Eventually the service worked again and has ever since.
But The MMS icon with the red X over it persisted anyway.

IsLand_BoY had the same problem with the icon, and found that by clearing out the messages outbox,
the icon will go away.

I cleared my outbox and it worked. The icon is no more.

You also have the option to 'retry send'.

*Credit for figuring this pout goes to IsLand_BoY

KLM

chas2003

I created a vcf file from Thunderbird using an extension. When I send it to the LG 420 from my PC it kind of works. The user name and email address get there but not the phone number. Is this a formatting question? Can anyone post an example vcf file that works? Here is a single user example I have that shows the symptom,
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N;CHARSET=UTF-8:Doe;Jane
FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Jane Doe
TEL;TYPE=WORK,VOICE:123-456-1890
TEL;TYPE=HOME,VOICE:123-456-1891
TEL;TYPE=CELL,VOICE:123-456-1892
EMAIL;TYPE=PREF,INTERNET:[email protected]
END:VCARD

chas2003

Answered my own question , I exported from the phone an looked at its format this works:
VERSION:3.0
N;CHARSET=UTF-8:Doe;Jane
FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Jane Doe
TEL;TYPE=CELL,VOICE:1234567890
EMAIL;TYPE=PREF,INTERNET:[email protected]

The phone number can not have any dashes(-) or spaces in it ( ) , it ignors the FN line and only uses the N: line.

KLM
Member Avatar

chas2003

Can anyone post an example vcf file that works?

The answer is probably in your hand now :)

The 'prerfect example vcf' can be reversed engineered by using the LG420G itself to make a .VCF. What it creates is the 'format' it should understand right?

Here is what I did to find the 'format'. To obtain the perfect VCF format, grab your LG420G and simply create a new contact, fill out every field you possibly can for that contact, including the additional entries using the left soft key (options) > add detail.

I filled out every possible entry, including birthday, fax number, business name, the contacts title, and more. Then I sent the .VCF for this single contact I created to my PC via bluetooth. Here is the contents of that .VCF

VERSION:2.1
N;CHARSET=UTF-8:Smith;John
TEL;HOME;CELL;CHARSET=UTF-8:12225556666
TEL;VOICE;CHARSET=UTF-8:13335557777
TEL;HOME;VOICE;CHARSET=UTF-8:12225558888
EMAIL;HOME;CHARSET=UTF-8:[email protected]
TITLE;CHARSET=UTF-8:Business Owner
ORG;CHARSET=UTF-8:John's hardware store
NOTE;CHARSET=UTF-8:This is a memo about John Smith
SOUND;VALUE=URL:file:///LGAPP/Media/Sounds/johnsmith-ringtone.mid
PHOTO;TYPE=JPEG;ENCODING=BASE64: (picture hex dump went here...)
REV:20150717T100400Z

Reverse engineering is good!

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

chas2003

Okay, you answered your own question, before I could. Thanks for coming back and posting your findings.

KLM

editorspangler

Hi,

I have what might be a stupid question, but I am not getting answers from the TracFone folks or the instructions booklet.
So here I am...

I have an LG 420G and the other day an icon that resembles a little set of headphones showed up on the screen.
Ever since, I am not receiving any rings and I cannot call out. Obviously, I have pushed some button that is used
when plugging in a headset, but I can't find info on how to get out of it and thus I can't use the phone.

Does anybody have the answer out there?

Thanks much!

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi editorspangler,

Not surprised on not getting answers from the supplied manual or TF.

I've got a 420, and been playing with it here trying to duplicate your issue and so far no luck. Any 'mode' I put
the phone in (Bluetooth, hearing aid, TTY), I can still dial out, except 'airpalne mode' which is normal (signal
strength icon has an X over it and on the right is an airplane icon).

As I run through the menus, I don't see an option for anything that resembles pluggin head set.

(Trying to get some ideas here) Any way you can post a good image of the headphone icon,
and does the screen say anything about not being permitted to dial out?

I'll keep poking on my 420 for a bit....

KLM

editorspangler

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I can dial out and answer the phone, but I can't hear the other person and vice versa. It is like the phone
is dead. The icon is two little vertical cylinders with an upside-down "U" connecting them, making them resemble
headphones. When I called my husband the other day, all he heard was a bunch of clicks, which was me trying to
hit the send button so I could hear him. It is very odd.

I appreciate your assistance. Thanks again.

EditorSpangler

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* editorspangler .... I don't have the LG 420g, but I do have a odd question / thought for you.

* Did you happen to plug in an earpiece / headset by chance any time on your phone?

* I was just wondering if maybe you plugged in an earpiece - removed it - and it is still stuck in "headset mode"?

* If you didn't, try plugging in an earpiece (if you have one), and maybe the phone will correct itself?

* I'm just throwing out ideas here .... good luck and let us know what happens .... thanks .. ;)

Turk B-)

editorspangler

Thanks!

I don't have an earpiece for this phone and actually couldn't find a hole for one, unless it goes where the battery charger does ... so, I plugged in the charger and the headphones icon went away and then I took it out and it came back. A little wiggling and suddenly the dialtone and voicemail and everything returned and the icon did not! I think the icon has something to do with speakerphone, because the voicemail "lady" asked if I wanted to use speakerphone; I did, and then after that, everything was OK. Wierd, but I am glad to be back in the TracFone world. Again, thanks to everyone who responded.

And have a happy Thanksgiving! ........ EditorSpangler

P.S.: Turk, thanks for this website and opportunity to chat. It has been a big help and I will visit again.

KLM
Member Avatar

editorspangler -Good sleuthing!

That's kinda creepy how you were able to resolve the problem. I have not heard of any other instances thankfully.

Yes, it just has the mini-USB port, no separate headset port.

Based on your experience, my guess is there was an unexpected logic state change at the USB port, and triggered this 'mode'. When you inserted the charger, then removed it, and noticed the icon status change, that reminds me of a logic change,. When you wiggled the USB plug just right, and cured the problem, that supports my theory even more.

As the pin spacing gets smaller, it's possible things will happen.

I just plugged the supplied charger into my 420 and went crazy with it. I put the phone in other modes like TTY again, and turned the speakerphone on and off while unplugging and reinserting the charger a number if times as well as wiggling the plug from side to side. I was not able to duplicate the problem.

I'm curious...At any time did you use an aftermarket car charger with your LG420? If so, can you come up with a make and model ofthe charger? That might not be an easy thing to do. Not that I'm hinting at anything, I'm just taking notes.

I was thinking worse come to worse, the 420 has a 'reset settings' feature, but I have never tried it. I'm glad you won't have to either.

Let us know if you make more 'discoveries'. We'll at it to our collection of unofficial support!

And happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

KLM

editorspangler

Hi KLM,

Well, I am back again. I seem to be fine when I am calling out but not in answering calls.

Don't ask me how I did it, but I found out that the icon actually is "hold." I put it on "unhold" (yes, that is an option) and that was fine to call out. However, I now receive calls that automatically stop ringing when I flip open the phone and then go on "hold" when I push "send" to talk. The person on the other end hears only clicking. I discovered all this just now when I got a call from an employee and then did a redial. I've called my home phone and it is fine and nothing wierd happens. So ... while I know what the icon is, I still have problems in answering the phone. Any ideas?

EditorSpangler

Oh, and yes, while on vacation in October, I used my husband's after-market charger in the car.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* editorspangler .... here is another goofy idea I can throw out there...

* Try taking out your battery for a few minutes and then putting it back in, and see if that does anything?

* Good luck, hope it works .... cause I'm running out of ideas. (lol) ^_^

Turk B-)

editorspangler

Hi again.

I tried the battery thing and it did not change anything.
I played around a little more and basically, when I hit "send" it goes onto hold.
If I hit it twice, it then unholds, so I can talk. That is fine now that I know it, but I still would like to fix it if at all possible.
Again, I thank you for all the time you've spent on your weekend trying to help me out!

EditorSpangler

millept

In the ICON DESCRIPTIONS portion of the manual the only icon that resembles (almost) what you describe is the TTY icon. You might compare that with what you see on your screen. Or see if TTY mode is on.

http://www.tracfone.com/Common/English/Digital_Assets/14382.pdf

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi EditorSpangler, et al,

I can help with at least one issue this time around.

EditorSpangler

However, I now receive calls that automatically stop ringing when I flip open the phone and then go on "hold" when I push "send" to talk.

EditorSpangler

That is fine now that I know it, but I still would like to fix it if at all possible.

Ah, now this is a problem I can provide a fix for. Simply reprogram the operator :)

Here is what is going on and some options for review:

When you get an incoming call on the 420, just open the phone and speak. Do not press send. If you do, as you found out, the call goes on hold. The phone is working normally as it is set to answer the call upon 'open flip' and no further action needed.

If you prefer to have the 420 not answer upon 'open flip', there are two other answer options- 'any key' or 'send' key. These answer options are found under: Menu > Settings > Call > Answer mode.

Since day one, I have had mine set to 'send key'. This way, if I get an incoming call I can open my phone, without answering, get all the details possible, and have the option of hitting the 'reject' soft key if it is a telemarketer! No minutes lost when rejecting (dumps caller to voice mail).

(Now returning to previous issues with additional input provided)

I attempted duplicate the problem with the additional input you provided, and I am unable to reproduce the headset icon, or being unheard, issue.

I had TTY enabled, not that it matters. Just something to try and confuse.

-I placed a call then put the call on hold. No headphone icon.

-I plugged the charger in and removed it several times. I also wiggled the charger plug, half-inserted, etc. all while call was on hold or 'unhold'. No headphone icon.

-I then went through the options menu and tried a few things including 'recorder', and 'new call' (2nd call while 1st call on hold). That new call about wiped out my remaining minutes. I went from like 16 minutes to 9 right away. Watch out on that one! No headphone icon.

-I tried some other options while in call including speakerphone on and off, and mute. No headphone icon.

-In a series of calls I took turns hanging up up on just the cell phone side and on the next call, having the other (non 420) hang up and then called into the lg420 each time. It rang, I picked up, and I heard my self on both sides. No 'just clicking' at any time. And, no headphone icon.

Then I did all this again except the 420 had the call on hold, and I had the 420 hang up. On another test call I had the 420 on hold but had the other phone hang up. After each hang up I called the 420, had it ring, answered the call and I heard myself each time, no clicking. (I think I resolved this with the 'don't hit send after flip open). And no headphone icon.

You mentioned you thought the speaker phone might have to do with the headphone icon appearing (earlier post) During each trial I toggled the speaker phone option as well. No headphone icon appeared.

- Every time I called my 420, it did ring.

(Another test) Okay, I just zapped 2 more minutes. I set my 420 to answer on open flip just like yours. I then called my 420, open flipped and my 420 answered. No head phone icon, no just crackling. It just worked as expected for me.

-I hung up with the other phone (non 420) and then called the 420 back. It rang, I opened and still no issues.

EditorSpangler

I think the icon has something to do with speakerphone, because the voicemail "lady" asked if I wanted to use speakerphone; I did, and then after that, everything was OK.

Anyone ever hear the voicemail lady ask if you want to use speaker phone? I don't do voicemail much, but I have not heard that one. I do not know why the voicemail lady would care. She does ask, 'Are you still there?' if you have not pressed a key during voicemail.

milept

In the ICON DESCRIPTIONS portion of the manual the only icon that resembles (almost) what you describe is the TTY icon.

Below is a screen shot where I'm 'in call' (land line phone hand set icon at top), and TTY is turn on (left of the handset icon. It looks to me to be a hand set poised over....a teletype keyboard?. It does not look like 2 cylinders with an upside down 'U' connecting them to me. Love to see a screen shot of that.

You can also see that the call is on hold, and there is no 'headphone icon' .
Posted Image

Things I tried during a call in the options menus...(some neat features!) to try and produce a headphone icon.
Posted Image - Posted Image

Turk is running out of ideas and my 420 is running out of minutes, 100% of which have been used for unveiling features, secrets, and support. 6 minutes left. Not sure if I will add more (no particular reason). Need to make 'em count!

This was interesting...Some how, I think all your troubles will clear up quickly now. Keep us posted EditorSpangler!

KLM

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* EditorSpangler .... we haven't heard back from you on your phone situation? .... maybe you got it fixed?

* Anyways, let us know what happens and if you were able to fix your phone problem .... thanks.

* Ps: my last idea that I had, was basically to tell you to buy a new phone. (lol) ^_^ :P

* Thanks everyone for all your help and input into this situation .. ;)

Icon Turk B-)

janlafata

I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and I'd like to find out the best way to set up my TracFone LG420G to
connect to my computer so I can transfer files etc. I tried running some various software and connecting my
phone through a data transfer cable, but the software did not recognize it.

The software I tried was the LG Phone Manager from Feb of this year and BitPim. Neither of those worked.
It was also suggested to me to try FutureDial but they told me they don't support the phone, and DataPilot,
though I have not heard back from them yet.

I should add that with both of the software's that I tried, Windows did recognize the phone in "Device Manager" and
"My Computer" but I couldn't seem to do anything more with it. I did read somewhere that Bluetooth might work,
however, I really don't know that much about it and have never used it before, but I have seen the references to it
in Windows 7 services and Task Scheduler.

I Googled the issue and found that some people have suggested that I try to connect to the phone this way,
but my question is ... do I need some Bluetooth USB adapter to be able to pick up the signal from the phone?

I should also mention that people in other TracFone forums said that they read that this phone just will not
interface with any computer or software, however I don't know whether they have tried the Bluetooth route.

One user said he was even able to upload the Opera Mini-browser through Bluetooth to his Tracfone
LG420G phone and successfully installed it, though he had to make some modifications to get it to work.

I tried downloading and installing the Opera Mini-browser from my phone browser, at m.opera.com,
but it wouldn't install. I kept getting error messages.

So I'm just looking for any help I can with this phone to try to get more functionality out of it.
I would appreciate any advice you can give.

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi janlafata,

Using a data cable between a PC and LG420G will not work with any software, even though you can see it in Device manager.
This also happens with other makes of Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk phones.

Yes, go the bluetooth route. It works. I have several hours of data exchange with my 420 using bluetooth.

Yes, you will need a USB bluetooth adapter for your PC. Try to find one that has software that comes with it.
Some are so cheap, you have to hunt for drivers and there is no interface software.

In my case I just use drivers that came with my adapter and skipped the software.
I use Win XP to 'manage OBEX file transfers'.

Some folks rave about bluesollei BT software. But, not all adapters or computers work with it.
I have no experience with this software.

I do not not use Win 7 so I can't give you any step by step on what to press.

Main thread for all things LG420 could be of help in general on getting the most out of your LG 420.
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/3258667/

Have a look starting around post 27 of that thread. I talk a bit about bluetooth on another matter.

Quote:

One user said he was even able to upload the Opera Mini-browser through Bluetooth to his Tracfone
LG420G phone and successfully installed it, though he had to make some modifications to get it to work.

That was probably me. I may have been the first anywhere (right here actually) to post that
Opera Mini 3, 4, or 5, or all 3 at once (as on my phone) can be installed on the LG 420G.

Quote:

I tried downloading and installing the Opera Mini-browser from my phone browser, at m.opera.com,
but it wouldn't install. I kept getting error messages.

You received the error because a specific file in the .JAR you downloaded was not modified prior to install.
This modification cannot be done from within the phone. You will need to download the opera mini of your
choice to a PC, modify a file within the .JAR, and then bluetooth opera mini on over to your LG 420G. This
modification must be done to all .JAR's you plan to install on the LG 420 specifically. If not, you get the error.
Have a look at post 13 and 25 of that main thread on how to do the modification, and about Opera mini on the 420.

Have fun!

KLM

janlafata

Thank you for all of your help. It looks like I found the right person to talk to about this. I'm glad you cleared
that up about the Data Transfer Cable, otherwise, with my "complete the mission, no matter what" mentality,
I'd be playing with that thing forever!

I did go ahead and order a Bluetooth USB adapter from NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833340012

It did not mention anything about software on the page, but one reviewer said he had no problems with it on Windows 7.
I'm assuming I can always download something from the Azio website if I need it.

I forgot to mention before too, that in addition to messing around with all of that Phone Manager software,
I also found and installed some LG USB Driver software. My system seemed to need it because when I first
tried connecting to the phone, Windows would not accept it, but once I installed the USB Drivers, it did.
So I'm assuming that's ok to leave in there.

I also downloaded Opera Mini-browser 5 and will get to work soon on modifying it. I will let you know if I run
into any problems when the part arrives and I install it. I'm assuming that to get this thing to sync with my PC
after I get it installed, I just go to "Devices and Printers", "Add a Device" and go from there, correct?

Thanks again for all of your help.

KLM
Member Avatar

Hello janlafata,

Okay, the BT dongle from Newegg is on it's way. I see you picked up the long range one.
You may have other uses for it in the future, so it's good to have.

Okay on no mention if it comes with software. For me, I do the minimal to get the job done.
Maybe just the drivers will work and Windows7 has something you can use.
I'm sure there is more support in Win7 for BT. Maybe just pug it in and no drivers needed with 7? Try it.

When I mentioned in a previous post about getting a BT with software, I was thinking that if it came with software,
you'd have an interface to work with, rather than trying to hunt down how to use it in some other way through Win7.
I was also thinking this would be good for some one non-technical.

Regarding external software, as mentioned people seem to like bluesolei if it will work with their adapter.
Another program people like is OBEX Commander. I did try OC myself and found it really buggy...
Just a comment on other BT data transfer software.

Moving on...

On having LG USB drivers on your computer and okay to leave them.
I suppose it is okay but your Tracfone LG 420G will not have a use for them.

Quote:

I'm assuming that to get this thing to sync with my PC
after I get it installed, I just go to "Devices and Printers", "Add a Device" and go from there, correct?

Um, I'm going to say no. Actually I never tried it that way.

In my case, I just installed the drivers for my adapter.
For a data transfer interface, I just use 'My bluetooth places' in Win XP. (Like My Network Places type theme).
Maybe Win7 has the same or better? I am unable to help with Win7.

Anyway, assuming you have a My BT Places, just make sure bluetooth is turned on in the 420, and set to be detectable.
Then go to My BT places, and find the option where it will search for BT devices. The 420 should come up after a bit.
Next you 'pair up'. You'll get to a point where it says enter a code for pairing.
Just make up anything with 4 digits- 0000, 1234. It's a single instance code.
Then the phone will perk up and ask if you want to accept a connection from your computer, then enter a code.
Make sure it is the same digits. You should then be 'paired'.

You can also have the 420 do the initiation. This is handy when you just want to send something from phone to computer.
Have the 420 search for BT, and and when your PC comes up, pair up, put some digits in and it should say you are connected.
Your phone can only see the files in the OBEX file transfer directory. This is also where your phone will send files to.

Looking back at My Bluetooth Places, select your LG420. you will see a folder icon that says LG420G OBEX file transfer.
If you drop files (pictures, sounds, .JAR's) here they will be sent to to the phone.

Also any files sitting in this folder can be retrieved by the phone.
That is, this is the only folder your phone will be able to download/upload from/to.

This is one method of transfer.
IO have done a copy from anywhere on my HDD and paste to that folder, which initiates transfer.

Gee, I hope I got all that right! :D
That's what I get for not being around the computer I do this stuff on. I'll be around to help further I'm sure.

Once you have successfully sent files to your phone, you may wonder where they have gone off to.
If it's a picture, it will automatically go in pictures. If it is a sound, it will automatically go in sounds.
If it's a .JAR it will go to the other files directory.

Okay on downloading Opera mini 5. I suggest trying version 3 and 4 as well.
... 5, in my opinion is more for smart phones or phones with big screens.
There new features in 5 that will not work on the 420, but do not cause a problem.
The 5 interface has a drop down menu bar, that would look better with more landscape.
But they did design it so that if you put it on a small screen, you would not be missing anything.
Opera really thought about the design. 4 and 5 have tabbed browsing, but again, I think it's really for use with larger screens.

Version 3 and 4 are more suited for dumb phones in my opinion. If you try them, you will see why
when you play around with the interface. They are simplified, and more suited for smaller screens.
3 and 4 run fast on the 420. Version 5 slows down a bit on the 420 compared to 3 and 4.

In each version, press every key on your keypad. Each key does something. This made it fun to play with for a while.

Experimentation is good. Have fun!

KLM

janlafata

Just a quick reply this time ... I went to the Azio site and found drivers for Windows 7 x64. It must be good
software ... it's like 75 MB's in size! I'm assuming what this software will do, besides install the hardware,
will provide some sort of explorer-like window to navigate around the apps and options in the phone, correct?

Thank you again for your help. You explain things very nice and simple. That's refreshing!
Once the adapter arrives I will post again here if I have any problems and definitely post when I've got working.

Jan LaFata

KLM
Member Avatar

Oh dear, my post did not stick. I saw it take last night. Hmmm... Okay, I'll try again...

That's good to know there are at least 64 bit drivers (modern) for the adapter you bought. Yes, I would think
that the 75MB file size would include a explorer like window foe exchanges between the PC and other BT device.

On the '...to navigate around the apps and options in the phone...' part. Uhhhh ... not exactly.

One cannot use a PC to navigate through the applications or explore/change options in the LG 420G.

The only things one will be able to do is, transfer pictures, sounds, Java files,
and Vcard (contact list) between the PC and 420, and vice - versa.

To simply be able to do the above, is a big thing actually.
I understand many Tracfones are not even capable of this much.

And I will take this time again to describe how the 420 handles incoming files.

If it is a picture, once it hits the phone, it will automatically be placed in the pictures directory.
There are no other options/locations.

If it is a sound, once it hits the phone, it will automatically be placed in the sounds directory.

If it is a Vcard it will go into your contacts list.

If it is a java file, once it hits the phone, it will automatically be placed in the Others directory.

Now you know where your files went off to (in the phone) once you get your Bluetooth up and running.

linkmail

I scanned through the discussion and couldn't find this particular question, so here goes (apologies if it's a repeat):

Why in the world does the LG 420g not connect to a PC via USB cable?
I've been wracking my brain, and I can't come up with a single good reason, at least from a user's perspective.

What possible justification can there be for omitting this most basic function of connectivity, other than to
force users to go with bluetooth?

KLM
Member Avatar

@linkmail

Thanks for having look all over this thread first.
Actually I made a brief mention it could not be done in post #27, but not as to why.
The question of why in the world you can not connect (many phones including the LG 420G) to
a PC via a USB cable is sprinkled here and there on many forums.

There is no answer.
Tracfone won't answer that and neither will LG being Tracfone did not pay them for support.
The LG 420G will do data transfer to PC via USB, but has been disabled.
I believe this feature and a number of other neat stuff was stripped out to fit the 'cheap phone' Tracfone model of business.

It looks like you can and the PC may identify it in some way, but that is as far as you are allowed to go.
A teaser perhaps?

In this state I found that the 420 can communicate through the micro USB, but, it is not for the end user.

I have talked to mine but it was just enough to attempt a few responses. Again, something the end user couldn't handle.
It wasn't done through windows or a glorious point and click interface everyone is accustomed to.
If you are a programmer and have a service SIM, that is one way to get it to talk, but you won't find that laying around anywhere.

So, yes bluetooth is the only way the end user can do transfers with the LG 420G. I do not recommend
messaging your self data as that will get costly and you run into like a 300k file size limit and more issues.

There are other phone models that will connect by way of cable.

I think that is all I can cover on this subject.

KLM

KLM
Member Avatar

Current update 2011 Jan. 5 - Previous update 2010 Dec. 29

But first my thoughts...

Every phone has little computers and bits of programming running around inside of them. They are only as good as the designers and programmers make them. Time is money, and quality control is not what
it used to to be. 'If it glitches- it ships'.

In case of a pattern of problems, Good manufactures have something like a "Out of box failure policy". If a phone fails very soon after purchase, those units go back to the factory for a 'root cause analysis' to try and prevent an epidemic of failures, and then bad publicity.

But, who knows with Tracfone and Net10. Phones that the manufacturer refuses to directly support, and does not produce a real manual for the particular model, makes me think these phones are bought up by TF / Net10 'as is', no frills, and no mfg. support to keep the cost down.

We're pretty harsh critics when it comes to our low end Tracfone / Net10 / ST phones. Though cheap, we still expect them to be reliable and work properly in all features. It's hard to filter out if a particular phone has a real problem, operator error, or a percentage, if not all phones of a particular model have a genuine problem.

And so we're left on our own to 'tech support' as best we can and thank goodness for places like Turk Forums where we can get the word out.

I have been doing a lot of reading, and communicating with individuals that post LG420G issues. I look to see if others have had a similar problem, ask a few questions, occasionally suggest, and do followups to see if they have found a solution.

In most cases I find that There have not been enough posts (yet) that describe a similar problem, but I make notes anyway for future use.

Below is what I feel are genuine glitches that may affect all LG420G phones.

Alarm Clock - LCD Stuck on Glitch

The alarm Feature of the LG420G is fantastic, and loaded with options. If you have the alarm programmed and turned on, the alarm will even sound if the phone is powered off. When you answer the alarm it will even ask you if you want to turn the 'handset' on at this time.

Characteristics - Alarm feature currently being used, the alarm has sounded at least once, and after that both the internal and external display never time out (turn off). Your battery stand by time will be cut down to 20 hours instead of approximately 10 days. To run it down faster, once it has glitched, press a volume key. Both screens will stay at max brightness!

Cure (sort of) Turn the phone off an then on again. This will work until the next alarm event sounds, and then the problem starts all over again.

Suggestions - Possibly avoid using the alarm?

posts/urls where this has been discussed (links will die eventually):
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1686530-LG-420G-on-the-blink-any-suggestions

Credit goes to mdwychoff for making the connection between the displays being stuck on the alarm clock.

and...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1648329-LG-420G-Review-and-My-TracFone-Experience?p=14084889#post14084889

My attempt to duplicate the problem
I can confirm this issue affects my own LG420G as well. You can try this your self. (See characteristics section above, or read on for my trials).

One poster 'Scott in Boston' who experienced this problem has a more severe problem added on. In trying to fix the alarm clock glitch, he turns the phone off, and then it will not power on afterwards. He is without a phone for hours at best before it will work again for a while. Others, including myself, do not have the turn back on problem.

As for my self, I did have one brief oddity added to the alarm clock glitch. I was doing repeated tests to the glitch when upon the 3rd test when the alarm sounded, I opened the phone and pressed the 'stop' soft key'. A message box popped up but it was empty and stuck. Eventually it did display an actual message (something like alarm deactivated) and then suddenly the phone rebooted. It powered up normally. After that I repeatedly tried the alarm clock glitch for 2 ours, and the stuck screen and reboot I experienced never happened again.

This an a couple of other things suggest the firmware in this area does not handle 'exceptions' too well.

One strange thing I noted on my 420 was, when I first started playing with the alarm, when it rang I would open the phone and it was still ringing. I had to press the right soft key 'stop' to answer the alarm. But, half a dozen alarm tests later, and from then on, simply opening the phone will cause the alarm to stop which is nice. Strange....

My other observations- how to make it act up

**If you have the snooze feature enabled. You must answer the snooze to get it to stop. By doing so, the screens will stay on forever.

**When the alarm sounds, open the phone, and press the 'stop' key, I found that this is when the internal and external displays would stay on.

** (phone is not in alarm glitch mode yet) But if I let it just ring out (1 minute), press a volume key twice, or simply open/close the lid both displays would turn off as expected.

Oh but.....A problem lies in waiting...

After you have answered the alarm in a fashion that will allow the displays to go off as they should, all is well until one day you press one of the volume keys (while lid closed)! You can press a volume key today, or a year from now, both displays will light up and never turn off! Here we go again. Of course turning the phone off then on will cure this, until the next alarm that goes off. Then it will happen again.

(Update 14 days later...) This is unreal. My phone is healing itself. First the alarm would not stop when I opened the lid, and a few alarms later, just opening the lid will answer the alarm call. What did I do different?

Now, my phone is doing some different again. Earlier I said that When the alarm sounds, and I let it ring the full minute and the screens successfully go off, but If I press one of the volume keys any time after the alarm quit, the screens would stay on forever. Well now it doesn't. I can now silence an alarm by pressing a volume key twice, and the screens do not stay on. But..instead of just 2 key presses, I have to press a volume key 5 times before the alarm stops. I have repeated this test a few times now, things have changed. But hey, it's been a good change!

(I'll try to un-confuze this)So as it stands now, for my phone anyway, to avoid having the internal and external screens stay on forever- when the alarm sounds, do not press 'stop' or use the snooze. Either let the alarm ring until it times out (1 minute), or press the side volume key a bunch of times, or simply open and then close the lid.

And another observation- If you have the charger plugged in the screens still stay on during charge. So, if you see this, chances are it's the alarm glitch.

Onto next type of glitch...

Menu 'list mode' causes vertical scroll bar stuck in middle of screen glitch.

Characteristics
Some but not all LG420 users report that when switching the main menu from the default grid mode to list mode, a vertical scroll bar will appear down the middle of the screen when it should be on the right side of the screen.

Cure
None that we know of.

suggestions
Leave your main menu in 'grid mode' if glitch bother you.

posts / urls where this has been discussed
(Paragraph 3) http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1648329-LG-420G-Review-and-My-TracFone-Experience?p=14084965#post14084965

I've read else where about the menu scroll bar in the middle of the screen happening to onr or two other individuals.

My attempt to duplicate the problem
I've spent over an hour to to daze and confuse my 420 into getting a vertical scroll bar to appear in the center of my screen while the main menu is in list mode but I've been unsuccessful. I just know how this could happen though firmware wise. It's a script thing for sure. It would require a firmware update, but being it's a Tracfone /Net10 /ST phone, that'll never happen.

others
As mentioned posters here and there have described other glitchy things in good detail regarding the 420, but at this time I'd like to see more posts of similar problems before making a declaration, yet feel they are noteworthy due to the such good description of the problem. These glitches I have not been able to duplicate on my 420 either. These incidents, mostly isolated I think) are:

- Phones that just just shut down, and require pulling the battery to restart.

-Status icons we have not been able to identify, but vanished by mal-aligning the the power cord at the jack.

-Attempt to erase a missed incoming call and upon doing so the phone shuts down unexpectedly.

- Now CURED! Multimedia messaging is the only thing available. Options for sending an SMS absent. In trying different approaches known to force an SMS, provide unusual errors (lacking components needed). Details provided by owner were so specific and with my involvement in support, I feel his firmware is bad. (My 420 does not exhibit this problem and was used to diagnose the other phone) The cure is to turn off two items YOU turned on. got to your messages screen, and select: Message Settings > Multimedia Message > Delivery Report > Request Report -Turn it back off!

And next, messages screen > Message Settings > Multimedia Message > Read reply > Request reply - Turn it back off!

I also suggest any drafts you might have had prior, just delete them as they were rigged to be MMS.

Okay, from then on when you go to your messages screen and create message, at the top you should see 'New Text Message' (SMS) - you're back in busines!

Okay...moving onto next glitch..

- (This has happened to me) Install a java application and at some point my phone suddenly reboots. In this case it may be a application compatibility issue and so in this case it's understandable.

All the above lends to my growing belief that this phone encounters exceptions it does not know how to handle. It may attempt to reboot to solve the exception.

signal reception issues (I get on my soap box)

Others report signal issues. Really, you hear the same thing about other phones al the time. As an RF communication engineer, I do not even touch these issues, unless it ends up on my bench in a controlled environment, because there are just too many variables beyond our control to diagnose in the field with no calibrated equipment.

Comments like; 'I suddenly have no signal in my backyard, when I used to, but my friend next to me does on his phone' type things. Could be the phone, or your friend has another carrier, something near by fired up and causes desense in the phones receiver, problems at the tower, and if it is an iPhone4, you might not be holding it right! (Joking)

And last, you may have head my dissertation on signals bars. Those bars are a relative measurement, not a precision instrument. Software controls what is indicated. That new iPhone4 drummed up complaints about consistently less bars compared to the previous phone. Welp, Apple decided that they miss-calculated a formula when determining signal strength. They fixed it with an update. Did it make the phone work better? See...Those signal bars are all relative.

Now, when you have no bars and see 'no service' on your phone, then you have a problem indeed!

(end soap box mode)

I will update this particular entry if I can get some more solid confirmations of LG420G glitches.

Hope this helps, but does not scare you off from a great phone. If you get a bad one, buy another one as they are oh so cheap!

Current update 2011 Jan. 5 - Previous up date 2010 Dec. 29

KLM

yaz

I started using 2 new LG 420G phones from Tracfone on 12/28/10. Only one of them has been used much yet
and that one has the problem of shutting off and the only way to turn it back on is to remove and re-insert the
battery. This happens when you simply leave the phone in standby without using it. Cleaning the phone and
battery terminals did not help. I have verified that the battery is fully charged. Tracfone is sending me a new
battery but I doubt that will help. Tracfone told me they would send me a new phone if the new battery doesn't fix it.

KLM
Member Avatar

yaz,

Wow, on the run around from TF. And you just got it days ago.
Wait and see, they would have saved money in shipping by sending you a new phone with a battery, plus save you more frustration.
I bet this does nothing for your confidence in a replacement either right?

With phones shutting down with no interaction, it's hard to say what is going on yaz.

A couple of other folks have had the similar problem.
Some have to remove the battery and leave the battery out for many hours, and then try again before the phone will power up.

I just don't know what to think of LG at this point, or it could be TF's firmware.
I had a LG 600G and I carried it around for 7 months never using it.
Suddenly I depended on it for a month and found it dropped one side of the conversation.
I found that happened to others as well.

So When I bought my 420 5 months ago, I did not rush to port numbers, and took my time in trying it.
Mine seems to be okay except for the alarm clock glitch. But I'm still wary....

So I have stuck with my Motorola.

And what have I gone and done of late? Buy the Net10 LG 900G! Yep, testing that one too, believe it!

Let us know yaz how this pans out for you with TF customer service, etc. and thanks for chiming in.

KLM

yaz

LG 420G shutting off update:
Today I swapped batteries between my good and bad LG420G phones, and the problem did not follow the battery.
So I then called TF customer service to tell them to send me a new phone instead of a battery. They very willingly
did this and said they would test the new phone before sending it, but since it often takes an hour for my phone to
shut-off, I doubt they would test it that long. They said I will keep my phone #, minutes and service hours, and would
just need to activate the phone with the new serial #. I'll let you know how it goes.

KLM
Member Avatar

Wow, yaz! Sounds like they are offering top notch service.

Did you call regular customer service or go to customer service in Miami?

The plus will be, you have 2 spare batteries now. I just hope the replacement is 'perfect'.

Yes, do keep us posted to see if all CS claims they will do for you is true. Good luck!

KLM

janlafata

I just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions in helping get my Bluetooth adapter on my computer installed
and configured on Windows 7 x 64 and for the instructions on tweaking the Opera-Mini Browser 4.

With the holidays, I just got around to it today, but everything pretty much went off without a hitch. As far as
getting Windows 7 to recognize my phone it did seem like I had to wrestle with the operating system and it's
native drivers some, as it kept trying to install everything before I could put the Aizo software on.

I also had to kind of go through a few of the steps twice, but Bluetooth is good to go now permanently on my system.
I also had no problem modifying the two Opera files, or sending them to my phone and installing them.

I do have a question though now about the default browser icon in the options window on the LG 420G.
When I press it, the default phone browser comes up.
Is there any way to make Opera come up when I select the browser icon?

Right now, Opera Mini is installed in My Folders under "Other Files", and I have to navigate to that and the
two files in there to launch it.

Also, I'm sure I will be wanting to transfer over a few differ pictures for wallpaper on the phone.
Do you know what size is best for them to display correctly on the phone? I can easily resize them first.
Also ... will it only accept GIF's or JPEGS too?

Thanks once again for your help. I was proud of myself that I got everything to work. It's my first-ever wireless tinkering job!

KLM
Member Avatar

janlafata - Your welcome to the help, and you did great on your trials there. And good job on the installs!

You got it all installed, even without me being able to help you on the Win7 side of things.

Ah yes, good old windows, trying to be helpful by installing everything before you could put the Aizo program on.
This is where I have always wished for a -stop- button that has the highest system priority, that will stop windows form running away you. :D

Quote:

I also had to kind of go through a few of the steps twice, but Bluetooth is good to go now permanently on my system.

I do not have the same BT adapter you have, nor operating system, but I too had to 'jiggle' windows and the the drivers (repeatedly) before things worked. And once they did I felt the same as you did exactly, especially the 'installed permanently' feeling. Now that you have BT, down the road you may have further use for it, so it's a good investment in my opinion.

Quote:

I also had no problem modifying the two Opera files, or sending them to my phone and installing them.

TIP: If you are like me and you 'archive' your downloads for some future use, so you don't have to find it (missing) on the Interent, you might want to consider 'isolating' the .JAR files modified just for the 420, from the rest of your .JAR files form some other phone that does not require file modification.

So I have two copies of every .JAR. One modified for the 420 and one for everything else.

This has paid off for me already. My LG900G does not require file modification.

It's been my experience (with my older LG600) that if you try to install a modified .JAR (just for the 420), and try to install it on another (LG600 test subject) phone, you will get an error.

Quote:

I do have a question though now about the default browser icon in the options window on the LG 420G.
When I press it, the default phone browser comes up.
Is there any way to make Opera come up when I select the browser icon?

Answer: Nope. Can't reassign keys. That is actually a Tracfone age old question. The other question people ask is can you disable the browser key so you don't accidentally hit it. And gain- nope.

As a side note, the documentation says you can reassign keys (remap navigation button menu pull-ups while at home screen) , but does not tell you how. There is even a menu some where under settings for assigning functions. No one has ever figured it out. I suspect this is a vestigial from when this phone and partial firmware was sold in another market.

Quote:

Right now, Opera Mini is installed in My Folders under "Other Files", and I have to navigate to that and the
two files in there to launch it.

Actually, Opera mini is not installed in My Folders > Other Files. It is stored there. I'll walk you through this.
* Anytime you send a file to the phone that it does not recognize as something to sort out for you (like a .JPG or .MP3) and stuff it under another folder, it will dump it in the 'Other Files'. .JAR files are also stored in the 'Other Files'.

* Next you have to install the .JAR. So you head to My Folders > Other Files, highlight the .JAR you want to install, and then select 'Launch'.

* The phone phone will tell you it has been installed, etc.

* Now, at this point you have the .JAR you sent to the phone stored under My Folders > Other Files, and your application you have just installed is under My Folder > Games & Apps. There wil be a pause before you see what comes next. And then you will see two routes to go- Games or Applications.

- - In your case select applications and there you will find your installed Opera Mini.

* Now that you have your application installed, you can go back to My Folders > Other Files and delete the stored application .JAR.

TIP:You only have 10MB of total phone memory which is shared. So it wold pay to be tidy. I have quite a bit installed actually, translator dictionaries, medical dictionaries (for when I see the Dr. heh heh), games, diagnostic stuff, and a few browsers ;)

Quote:

Also, I'm sure I will be wanting to transfer over a few differ pictures for wallpaper on the phone.
Do you know what size is best for them to display correctly on the phone? I can easily resize them first.
Also ... will it only accept GIF's or JPEGS too?
All good questions. I have answered those questions deeply buried in post 25 of the main LG420G information thread. Getting/creating wall paper and getting games that are exactly for your screen size is important.

- The full (canvas) screen size (wallpaper, full screen mode stuff) is 176x220.

- The windowed size (area that excludes top/bottom screen status bars is 176x202.

Games don't resize screens. Their graphics are static within the applet. Hence, getting a game for the right screen size. Which size windowed or full? Depends on the applet. So grab games that are either or 176x220 or 176x202.

Image and sound files recognized by the LG420G

Sounds- .AMR .MIDI .MP3

Images- .BMP .GIF .JPG .PNG (GIF animation works unless zoomed in)

Quote:

Thanks once again for your help. I was proud of myself that I got everything to work. It's my first-ever wireless tinkering job!

I'm proud of you too janlafata. It's refreshing in a way to see some one try something new, computing wise, and succeed, with out saying 'this is to hard' :)

Note: Being we have discussed the LG420 here, and mighty tidy Turk keeps things.....well....very tidy, you may see this thread slip under the Tracfone LG 420g + Reviews + Pics. main thread one day, so be on the look out if it moves :)

I did not know where to stick this tip so.....

Opera Mini (OM) TIP: OM works on dumb phones well, but, OM can't help if the phone does not support some things. So you will see features in OM that don't work with the 420, or not like expected. And here is another good tip, when just starting out with OM. Press every key and see what it does or.. press the # or * on any version of OM and you will see lists of menu shortcuts. Super thoughtful of them to do that.

Congratulations and have fun with your phone janlafata,

KLM

yaz

The TF customer service # I called was 1-800-323-2366, which was the # on the invoice that came with my phones.
I won't be getting any extra batteries because I called them for a new replacement phone before they shipped a new
battery, so they cancelled the battery shipment.
So far, all of the TF customer service people I've talked with have been extremely courteous.

KLM
Member Avatar

Okay yaz. The on the number you called (1-800-323-2366) goes directly to sales.

Yes, they are courteous. But some times support may be a challenge, but helps to be patient.

Okay on them canceling the battery shipment. Actually you will have 1 spare battery- from the defective phone. :)

Hope the replacement phone is super and handles all your needs. Keep us posted!

KLM

davyboy

After being given a wrong number for Miami, which got me to a porn phone site...

I finally learned the correct number, which is 800-876-5753.

They were much more intelligible, did not rely on a script, and actually knew what they were doing.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* davyboy .... glad to hear you finally got the help you needed, and the correct phone number.

* By the way, what was that porn phone site number? ... I'm sure member AKmaro1 would be interested ... Woooooooooo! (LOL)

* Sorry guys, but this was to easy to pass up ... (like shooting fish in a barrel) (lol) ;)

1-900-Big-Turk B-)

AKmaro1
Member Avatar

Too funny! .... LOL! :D

tony

Looking for help...

My Tracfone LG 420G kit came with an audio and video (red & green) cable to plug into the back of my computer.

Does anyone know what this is used for? Can I upload cellphone camera pics with this? Any feedback would help.

Tony .... [email protected]

KLM
Member Avatar

tony
January 19, 2011, 12:38 am
Looking for help...
My Tracfone LG 420G kit came with an audio and video (red & green) cable to plug into the back of my computer.
Does anyone know what this is used for? Can I upload cellphone camera pics with this? Any feedback would help.
Tony .... [email protected]
Hi Tony,

What a strange 'kit' you received with your LG 420G. Where did you by the phone+kit from I wonder.
Did it look repackaged in some way? How does it plug in to the phone even?
I would not even try to use that cable if it did fit. I have not seen a 420 kit like that is why I asked.

As you have noticed, there is no real documentation with this phone, and nothing that supports a cable as you describe.

The phone does not do video.
It can play .MP3's but it is not the kind of phone you can plug into your stereo, or computer.

The end user can not even purchase a micro usb cable to go between this phone and computer, and transfer data.
So no matter what that cable you have actually does - no, you cannot upload cellphone pictures with it.

However, data transfer can be done by way of Bluetooth as I have described previously in this thread and works great. :)

Big tip:
Have fun with the new purchase, but don't set any 'alarms' or set a calendar alarm. If you do, and it goes off, and
you respond to it, your phone will leave both display screens stuck on, kill the battery, and may not power on until
you pull the battery for several hours (you are without a phone). Everyones phone seems to do this but my 420G.
Mine just has the displays that won't shut off ... Remember - no alarms.

KLM

tannis 20

What do I do if I was messing around with the code entry mode on my LG 420G and got my service disabled?

I need it back like asap!

KLM
Member Avatar

tannis 20
January 21, 2011, 5:22 am
What do I do if I was messing around with the code entry mode on my LG 420G and got my service disabled?
I need it back like asap!
Ah, you fell into the 'meddlers trap'!

With the 420, you only get 3 wrong guesses in code entry mode and then you are locked out of your phone.
So, I'd suggest to stay out of code entry mode unless directed to do so in the future. Otherwise, the only gain
is becoming stressed out that one does not have a working phone, and might have their account terminated. ;)

There is a way out of the trap - this time .......... Are you on Tracfone, Net10, or ST?

Go to appropriate website and find the service and support section and head for the technical support link. (or what ever it is called)

If you are on Tracfone, here is the link to it:
http://www.tracfone.com/case_select_action.jsp?task=tech_support

For ST and Net10 ... You'll have to look around for the right links.

Anyway, enter in your information and after that it might say something like their records show your phone needs an update.
What it really means is you have been busted an they know it, and you are on record.

It should get to the point where you have to go into code entry mode and put in a long string of numbers.
All this will get your phone working again. :)

KLM - Eternal tech support...

davyboy

Perhaps a faster way is to call their Miami office, which has good technical support.
(don't ever bother with the main tech support line; it is awful).

1-800-876-5753

KLM
Member Avatar

Main office could remove the block on the phone I'm sure.

But if you don't want to face a human to explain why you did what you did, my previous post regarding going
through the tech support portion of the website involves no humans, no e-mail, and no chat screen.

As soon as you follow all the steps on the tech support page, you will have your phone operation again - just like that. ;)

KLM

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Tannis 20 .... you pretty much have only three options here:

1. Call Tracfone Customer Service up like davyboy has said.

2. Contact the Tech Support up on the Website like KLM has suggested.

3. Buy a new phone?

* Good luck and feel free to let us know how it goes for you, if you like.

* Ps: thanks guys for the help/suggestions on this matter .. ;)

Turk Support B-)

tony

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, it is an audio/video computer plug/cable with an earpiece and microphone on the other end.

Very strange ..... and thanks for the alarm tip.

prairie276

Thanks - I had trouble locating "settings-> send all .... "

I called Tracfone Customer Service and they told me it couldn't be done.
Your inclusion of the screen shots convinced me that it was there.
I kept looking until I found it - worked like a charm!!

Great job - Once again Thanks.

Is there a place where I could download a manual for the 420? The one from Tracfone leaves a lot to be desired.

Prairie276 :)

KLM
Member Avatar

Prairie276 ... thanks for taking a moment to post and welcome to the forum!

Your post is in reference to my post #43, transferring contacts.

It looks like you are now a 'seasoned Tracfoner' in that you got to experience TF customer service, and asking
one of the ultimate TF questions, asked by everyone - 'Where can I get the manual for this thing?' ;)

It would seem that in order to keep the cost down on phones and air time, the sacrifices are, iffiy products, no
instructions to features beyond that which makes them money, outsourced customer service and all that goes with it.

But, if you happen to get a reliable phone, never need customer service, and don't mind figuring out
things for yourself, and come to Turk forums - Tracfone is great. :)

If you should need Tracfone customer service in the future, go right to the Executive Resolutions number at: 1-800-876-5753

If you need a full blown-tell you everything manual for a Tracfone - You are out if luck...

Even the phone manufactures (for Tracfone) are in on this. Look on their web site and you will not find a
detailede manual for a TF/Net10/Straight Talk phone. Ask the manufacture for one and they will tell you
basically America Movil (TF/Net10/ST) did not pay for them to make one.

Every now and then we find (very little) additional information, not printed in the manuals supplied with the phone.

Scroll back up to post #12 titled What your LG 420g could be but isn't. That post will have a link
to another limited manual for the 420, with an explanation about that manual before you download it.

The only other type of documentation, which again does not help with the additional features for the 420, is on Straight Talk :
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/straighttalk/home.seam?custId=STLG420GP&locale=en_US

Really, that's it for documentation.

And now you know. Enjoy exploring your LG420G, and remember to stay away from setting any time of alarm on that unit.
Glitches, to which there are never any firmware updates to fix them, apparently bring the cost of phones down too. :D

tony

Need help here with texting. How do I "space" between words and how do I switch to a capital letter?

I am sure I will have a dozen other questions before I am through. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Tony
[email protected]

KLM
Member Avatar

@ tony - To space between words press the zero key. If you look at the key you will see 0, +, and a squatty shaped ' U '.
That U designates the space key on phones.

To switch to a capitol letter, briefly press the press the * key.
This will cause it to shift to upper case for only the next character you enter.

There are some things you may get tangled up on while texting and not know how things got the way they did.
Like stuck in all caps or all number, and more.
I highly suggest, when you have lots of time, having a look through the very long thread regarding all things LG420:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/3258667/

In that thread, post number 28, which in itself is very long, has information on texting specific to that model.
Look for the section that starts out with: " ??? Problems entering in a e-mail address? Is it all numbers coming up? "

After wading through the 420 thread, and you still cannot find an answer to your questions, Please do post! :)

tony

Thank you for your quick and courteous response!

Tony

WantnPrvicy

Ok! ... I like the LG 420G but I would really like to know how to clear the recently used add recipient list.

I could find no information on the PDF manual ... HELP.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.