Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What if Net10/Tracfones could read QR codes?
Topic Started: October 27, 2011, 5:00 pm (2,662 Views)
KLM
Member Avatar

UPDATE: There is a way to use QR codes with your Tracfone/Net10. See post #12

Posted Image What if Trac/Net10 phones could read QR codes...

I've got some left handed results on ' what if ' :) Plus a question for you all at the end of this.
I entertain you, now you entertain me. See how this works? :D

Folks often ask if QR code apps will work on a Tracfone / Net10 phone. You've heard me say it before-
they won't, because the phone is programmed to not let apps access the camera- period...

...But what if they could...Would it really work on these cheap phones with poor cameras? I simulated the
process and here's what I found out with three Tracfone / Net10 models: LG420G, LG500G, and LG900G.

Test setup:
Phones
-LG420G with 640x480 camera resolution, default settings
-LG500G with 1280x960 camera resolution, default settings
-LG900G with 1600x1200 camera resolution, default settings

QR code decoder
- http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx
(Note: Pictures were transferred form phone to PC that has internet access.
Phone+browser cannot access a file to send to site.)

Environment
-Indoors, very bright, diffused sunlight
-Outdoors, bright, cloudless sky

Test sample images
- A QR code measuring 7mm squared (rather small) from a billing statement
- A QR code measuring 22mm squared (large) from a semi-glossy magazine
- Two to three pictures taken of the two subjects with each phone.

Camera picture quality for your review (composite of pictures taken) (click on image to obtain full size)
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy85/klm2010/LG500G/_LG900-500-420-QR-code-tests.gif

RESULTS
LG420G
- 2 samples from a magazine (large sized QR) 12" away - FAILED
- 2 samples from a magazine (large sized QR) 4" away - PASSED
- 2 samples from a billing statement (small sized QR) 4" away - FAILED

LG500G
- 3 samples from a magazine (large sized QR) 12" away - 2 of 3 PASSED (surprisingly)
- 3 samples from a magazine (large sized QR) 4" away - 2 of 3 PASSED (surprisingly)
- 2 samples from a billing statement (small sized QR) 4" away - FAILED

LG900G
- 3 samples from a magazine (large sized QR) 12" away - PASSED
- 2 samples from a magazine (large sized QR) 4" away - PASSED
- 2 samples from a billing statement (small sized QR) 4" away - 1 of 2 PASSED (surprisingly)

Winner is...
Net10 LG900G of course.

Thoughts...
Now we at least know that if Net10/Tracfone didn't cripple their phones, 'scanning' QR codes is possible even
with lousy cameras.

The LG420G has it's limits in being a .3MP camera only in that you have to get up close to the QR code which
should not be an issue. With 3 out of 3 passing on the typical QR code size at 4 inches away, I thought it did great.

I'm amazed that the pictures taken with the LG500G are decode-able. Picture after picture looks the same (note
my submitted retakes) and suffers heavily from image compression like the other LG's plus more distortion than
the LG900G or LG420G. 'Yick....I have not fully reviewed nor activated my LG500G yet, but I'm not thrilled about
the performance with the hardware so far. I hope it does what it's really meant to do- talk and text without issue.

The LG900G...What can I say...It's the LG900G! For a Net10 phone, it's performance is more satisfactory than some
other models, both in hardware and firmware. I just wish it would come to Tracfone. Picture quality at 12" away from
subject is good compared to 4" away from subject. No doubt the 900's extra Mega-pixels (larger images) help the
QR decoder web site tackle the fuzzy images.

* But what I want to know is
Would you be willing to have the Tracfone/Net10 'data connection fee' (read yer book) plus a minute of airtime
deducted to be able to scan QR codes? Once you decipher the code which may contain a string of useless numbers,
or a web site, what then? Would you visit the web site and burn more minutes as the web page slowly downloads?
If, so to any of this, how often do you think you'd be scanning codes with your Net10/Tracfone?

P.S.- You can try this yourself by taking a picture of the QR code at the top of my post. Somehow transfer the picture
to your PC, go to the web site I used, submit image, and if your phone is good enough, you get a decoded message.

KLM
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JimmyJames

The answer to your question is: Yes, I would be willing to give up a little extra airtime to scan QR codes.
I don't know that I would use it very often, but I'd like to be able to do so in the event that I come across one
that I'd like to scan.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Ok, for the last few weeks, I been seeing these QR Codes popping up at Post Offices on the front doors.
* I never paid attention to them until KLM made this topic up ... so I decided to give this test a try with my phone.

* I was at one of my Post Offices today and I had my Turkberry (Net10 Samsung r355c - 1.3mp camera) on me.
* So I took a picture of the QR Code on the front door, about 6 inches away from the Code (code was 3x3 inches big).

* I went home, transferred the picture to my computer, used the Code Decoder site link above that KLM posted.
* And presto, it worked, the Code Decoder site showed me it was the website for the: USPS / office locator.

* My answer to your final question: It wouldn't matter to me if Trac/Net10 allowed this type of feature to their phones,
- and it wouldn't bother me either if they charged you minutes for this service, for I probably wouldn't use it much anyways.

* Just thought I'd try this out and let folks know that the Net10 Samsung r355c's camera will work on this test.. ;)

Turk QR Code --> B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Hi Turk and thanks for checking it out.

Yeah, you'll see more QR codes every where now. In magazines, product packages, etc... They are even using
them from phone to phone. You type in what you want to say (within reason) and phone A generates the matrix
on the screen. Phone B takes a picture of the QR code on phone A, and digests the information.

...Phone B now has a virus. :D

You get the idea...

I'd suggest putting a QR code up at the top of Turk Forums containing the main web page URL, so folks could store
the Turk URL in their phones address book....But I figure most that come here have Tracfones which can't do any of
the above. Oh the Irony! ... However, It would work perfectly for those with Net10 and Straight Talk smart phones.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* KLM .... ya, I been seeing these QR Codes popping up everywhere, now that I know what they look like.

* I even see them now on magazines, books, etc, as well ... and I also see them showing up on TV commercials!

* What's next?! .. the government putting them on new born babies! (lol) ... yep, big brother is watching you .. ;)

* PS: I really have no interest at this time of getting a QR Code for Turk Forums ... don't they cost money to make?

Big Turk is watching you. B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Okay on not getting a QR code for the forum, understandable.

They are free to make actually. My phone can make them even. That's the level these QR codes have gotten to.

Why, one day I envision we won't have numerical promo codes, it will be QR promo codes. Tape a picture of
the QR promo, and then when you go to Tracfone to enter the promovcode it will not say to enter code digits,
it will say 'Browse to upload QR promo code snap shot'!

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* KLM .... yes, you are correct, these QR codes are now free to make ... I found a few sites that make them for free.

* I decided to make one up for Turk Forums just to have ... so who knows, maybe one day I'll put it up somewhere.

* As far as having future QR codes for Promo Codes? ... I have an idea, get rid of Promo Codes! ... Wooooooo! (lol)
Posted Image <-- Turk Forums QR Code B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

If only Tracfones could do QR codes... The app might look something like this...

Posted Image

I held my phone up to the screen, it found the code, analyzed it and poof. If I pressed 'open browser'.
I would go right to the URL found in the QR code. Would not need to type it in my browser.

I like the idea of get rid of promo codes, but I think it peeks the interest of the value/informed shopper to much to let go. :)

Lets see just how much the kind of Gatorade I drink costs... Fire up the bar code scanner and...

Posted Image

Note the options at the bottom of screen after I scanned the bar code. I can go find out more about this
product online with a press of a button.

Oh my! Maybe it's better we did not wish for a QR code / bar code scanner for our Tracfones with them prices.
A single bottle of this stuff costs more than most Tracfones!

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* KLM .... thanks for testing out my Turk Forums QR code I made, on your phone ... it looks cool.

* And thanks for all the information about these QR codes ... they are the new trend now, it seems...

TURK C B-) DE

grisgris

Makes them for any text or link in jpg format...

http://www.qurify.com/en/

annepani

What is the URL / email address for the site that will read a QR code and email it back to your LG 800g?

I'm just looking for the email address that you send QR image to to have it decoded and sent back to you via return email.

I think K-L-M posted it here, but I can't find it.... It was not an app, just an email address or URL.

Thanks

KLM
Member Avatar

There is a way to use QR codes with your Tracfone/Net10 Phone...

As discussed, you cannot use an app with Trac/Net10 to do this, but http://snapmyinfo.com/ has a solution.

Success will depend on if your phone can take a decent enough picture, phone is capable of emailing picture,
and you will be texted back the results from the sent QR.

Hope this satisfies your burning curiosity before the minutes burn a hole in your wallet. :)

Original credit goes to Maggie5, post #18 of another forum: Is-anyone-using-a-QR-code-reader-on-the-800G?

Please post success stories. :)

KLM

annepani

Thank you K-L-M .... I hunted down all the references and made a file.

KLM
Member Avatar

I'm glad I knew what you were looking for.

Yes, that is what I do, take notes and file them away in case posts vanish or become hard to find at best.
It's a little extra work, but it pays off. :)

Let us know how snapmyinfo pans out and if you think you will be using it lots. :)

annepani

KLM
February 29, 2012, 7:03 pm
Let us know how snapmyinfo pans out and if you think you will be using it lots. :)
OK I will.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Topics Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.