Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) Samsung r455c Phone Topic
Topic Started: February 2, 2012, 12:25 am (7,372 Views)
Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* So, if anyone has any more info, thoughts or questions on this phone, feel free to post it all here ... thanks. ;)

* The Samsung r455c coming to Tracfone/Net10 isn't out yet, even though it's been advertised for awhile now.
* I thought I would just go ahead and start up an Official Topic for it while we wait... and wait... and wait... (lol)
* It's just a slide out keyboard phone, with a 1.3mp camera (no recorder), and has a MP3 player, and is CDMA.

Posted Image

Turk B-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr

* Here is the the Samsung r455c tutorial link that was provided by Sweeper in another topic.. ;)

* Link: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/straighttalk/home.seam?

T u B-) r K

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
This phone is now available for sale on Net10's website for $80.

http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/net10/Start.do?

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Thanks for the Net10 link to this phone, Sweeper! :D

Does anyone have a good guess as to when we might find it available on Tracfone's website?

I know it's on Tracfone's activation page. . . . I am in the market for a new phone.

ShadowDancer

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper .... thanks man for the Link and info about this phone ... you beat me to it, I saw it this morning as well.

* At first I said, wow, $80!, that seems like a lot! ... but then I recall the Samsung r451c & t401g being $80 at first.

* $80 seems just a bit much for me to pay, unless it would have TMFL, plus I don't care much for slide out keyboards.
-------------------------

* ShadowDancer ... hi ... and welcome...

* No one knows for sure when the Tracfone version will show up, but I am guessing soon, since Net10 now has it. ;)

* PS: is that Punxsy Phil as your avatar? .... if it is, please don't tell me you're from Punxsy PA. :huh: (lol)

rTURKc B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi Turk --

Thanks for your welcome, and boy, you're sharp! :O Yep, that's good, old Punxsutawney Phil high atop Gobbler's
Knob on the outskirts of town. And, that's why I'm looking for a CDMA phone -- mountains. As you have previously
posted, AT&T coverage is okay. But, with the mountains, Verizon has the best coverage.

I'm not a heavy cell phone user, and for the past 8 years, I've been using a prepaid Verizon LG VX3200 phone.
It's been a good, little phone, and for talk, text, and email text, I've been paying Verizon $10 a month. A decent
deal, I think. However, my fear is that sooner or later, Verizon is either going to phase out my prepaid plan, or I
may not be able to buy replacement batteries for my old phone. At the same time, as more of my friends take up
texting, I would like to have a Qwerty keyboard. The tap keypad gets old quick ... Of course, picture messaging
would be a welcome addition, and Internet access would be nice, too.

In any case, based on what I've been reading here in your Forum -- and may I say that you have some very
impressive and knowledgeable Forum members -- it appears that either what you call the "mythical" :D LG
505c or this Samsung r455c are two Tracfone models that I should consider, that is, if they ever become available.

So, I'm glad to hear that you feel that it shouldn't be too long until the Samsung r455c makes its appearance!
Does anyone have a preference of an LG phone over a Samsung phone, or visa versa? My initial impression,
and I emphasize "initial," is that the Samsung, which, I believe is similar to the Samsung Messenger III seems
to have fewer posted consumer complaints against it than the LG Cosmos Touch upon which the LG 505c is
modeled. . . . Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance . . . :)

ShadowDancer

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ShadowDancer ... I kind of figured your avatar was good ole Phil, since I'm from PA as well, in case you didn't know.
* I have many relatives up in Punxsy... I go up there plenty throughout the year, so I know the town quite well.
* Don't ask who my relatives are, I want to keep their names private, plus there is a small chance we could be related! (lol)
---------------------------
* As far as what phone is better, the LG 505c or the Samsung r455c? ... that's a tough call I think.
* Both have pretty much the same things, except for the touch screen (505c) vs the front buttons (r455c).
* The LG 505c is a smaller overall phone in size, and the qwerty keyboard is a shy smaller on the 505c as well.
* So if you're a man?, the touch screen/smaller keyboard could be a problem for you on the LG 505c.
* We also don't know the price of the LG 505c yet, so that could play a part in your decision making.
* It also depends if you like touch screens or not - or if you'd prefer pushing buttons instead (r455c).

* I think both phones will be nice to use - I can't really tell you which one to pick for I would need to see both first.
* PS: thanks for all the compliments - yes we do have good, smart, helpful members here - they are the best! ;)

T > u > B-) < r < K

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

By golly, Turk, small, small world, isn't it! :O Have you ever made a pilgrimage to the Knob on Candlemas Day?
I never had an inkling that you were from my neck of the woods until I opened a photo that you had taken with one
of your trusty phones and found myself staring down Centre Avenue in Pittsburgh. Thought I was dreamin' at first!
But, that's when it began to dawn on me that this Forum's administrator was located not terribly far from my backyard.
And, of course, when you posted about the mountains and the cell phone reception, that nailed your location...
I spent a few years in the 'Burgh myself, so I know my way around some of the 'hoods. ;)

In any case, thanks for your good, solid suggestions and advice on the two phones. You're absolutely right!
I do need to see the phones in person. So, that brings me to another question. Can you recommend any of the
Wal-Marts or other appropriate stores in the eastern or northern Pittsburgh suburbs that would be good stores
to view these new CDMA phones once they are released? .. The Wal-Marts in my immediate vicinity only carry
about three very-bottom-of-the-line Tracfone phone models, and everything, even the more numerous Straight
Talk phone models, is GSM. :(

To look at the selection, you'd never know that Verizon, not AT&T, had the superior coverage here. . . . But, then
when one realizes that almost 24% of America Movil is owned by AT&T and 0% is owned by Verizon, then I feel
that a person begins to understand why AT&T and its GSM phones dominate Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk, and
why certain Smartphone models end up running on Sprint rather than Verizon.

Thanks! :D

ShadowDancer

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ShadowDancer .... no, I never made it up there for Candlemas Day ... but I should once in my life, you'd think. (lol)
* I've been to Gobbler's Knob a few times to see the tree stump Phil comes out of, but never on GH day.

* I find that kind of eerie that you knew that was Centre Avenue from that picture I posted last year on here. :huh:
* I know the picture you're talking about, I took that last March/April when I took a relative to Shady Side Hospital for a
* Doctor's appointment - did you figure out that was Shady Side Hospital in the picture at a distance? (just wondering)
* I'm not from Shady Side, was just there for that day ... I from the outskirts of Pittsburgh heading East.
-----------------------

* I can't recommend any store to see these new phones at, for most stores only carry GSM/AT&T Tracfones now.
* I've been to almost every store you can think of in a 60 mile radius of me and they are all GSM/AT&T now, it seems.
* Some of my Walmarts still get in some CDMA Straight Talk phones, but no CDMA Tracfones or Net10 phones. :ermm:

* I know some Walmarts and Radio Shacks sell the Verizon Prepaid phones: Samsung Intensity II & LG Extravert.

* Those two phone are very close to the Tracfone Samsung r455c and LG 505c - so if you want to see what these two
* Tracfones might look like in person, take a trip to your Walmarts & Radio Shacks and look at those Verizon phones
* to see see which one/style you might like better -- the Samsung r455c or the LG 505c ... just an idea.. ;)

T*U*R*K B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Turk ---

Aww, you haven't lived until you've made a trek to the Knob and frozen your buns off for 5-6 hours in the early morning
darkness! B-) However, I don't recommend making the trek when the windchill factor is hovering around -17 degrees.
But, the weather was quite cooperative this year... In fact, there were a good number of older visitors on GH day who
said that they came because the celebration was on their "Bucket Lists."

I lived in North Oakland for a short time and had several friends who lived on Centre Avenue. Then, too, I had family
members and friends who doctored for years at either Shadyside or just down the street at West Penn... So, yes, the
hospital building confirmed for me that your photo was indeed of Centre Avenue. ^_^

-------------------------

Thanks for saving me from making needless trips to multiple Wal-Marts! I didn't realize that the larger Wal-Marts didn't
have a better selection of CDMA Tracfones than the smaller stores.

I have seen the LG 501C in the DuBois Wal-Mart. It appeared last August, as a Back-to-School special. But, once that
shipment sold out, more LG 501C models didn't reappear on its shelves until just last month.

Thanks for the tip about the prepaid Verizon phones! Good idea!! :D . . . Every store around here has gotten them in
recently. So, I took a look this week. . . . Wow, the LG Extravert is small --especially the Qwerty keyboard! But, now that
I think about it, the LG Extravert is similar to the LG Cosmos Touch, isn't it? And, I read somewhere in a review that the
LG Cosmos Touch was designed to appeal to Tweens and teenagers -- small hands with little fingers. So, it looks like
the LG Extravert has been aimed at the same age groups.

The Samsung Intensity II isn't that much longer than the LG Extravert overall. But, its Qwerty keyboard is roomier
-- definitely made for adult hands and fingers.

So, a touchscreen or punching buttons may not be the deciding factor in phone selection. It may be more of which
phone best fits an individual's hands and fingers!

Thanks again . . . :)

ShadowDancer

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ShadowDancer ... you're welcome, and yes, the LG Cosmos Touch & Extravert are basically the same as the LG 505c.

* And yes, they are all small phones - (pictures of the LG 505c & Samsung r455c are in the Straight Talk forum on here).

* Attention all .... I see over on Tracfone.com that this phone (Samsung r455c) is finally for sale for only $60.

* And the phone also includes Triple Minutes for Life! ... not bad, I thought it'd be more than that (same as Net10 model).

* Here is the Link: http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?

TurkFone B-)

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Holy crap, that a damn fine deal... Gonna have a road trip this weekend and look for it in stores.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Wow, thanks for the info on the Samsung r455C, Turk! :O With the TMFL, it sounds like a great deal. . . .
Why on earth would Net10 be charging more money for the same model??

The Samsung is not in my local Wal-mart. I checked. The special price appears to be an Internet only deal
directly from Tracfone. . . . But, the good news for me is that the new phone is appearing under my zipcode
on the Tracfone website. :D

Thanks again for the "heads up!"

ShadowDancer

annepani

The Sweeper
March 28, 2012, 6:51 pm
Holy crap, that a damn fine deal... Gonna have a road trip this weekend and look for it in stores.
Hi Sweep... Did you take a road trip? ... What did you discover?

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi all, :)

Here is a link to a blog created by a woman who recently purchased the Samsung r455c from Tracfone.
On her blog, she has recorded her initial impressions of the phone, posted close-ups of the phone, recorded a
brief video to demonstrate the sound quality of the phone, and posted photos taken with the phone's camera, etc:

Brief Review: Samsung R455C On Tracfone: http://prettymissile.com/2012/04/02/review-samsung-r455c/

So, if anyone is interested in the new Samsung r455c from Tracfone, you may want to check out this information.

ShadowDancer ^_^

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ShadowDancer ... thanks for that information! ... I also saw that phone review earlier today while searching the 'net.

* That is some good review/video work that young lady did ... maybe we should get her to sign up here! (lol)

* Also, for folks interested, there are a few YouTube videos on the Samsung r455c, if you care to look over there.

* Geez, if I wasn't tied to my Samsung r355c for the next 4/5 months because of having minutes and service days,
* I would think about getting this phone with the TMFL, even though I don't care much for slide out keyboards.

* If this is all we get for CDMA phones for this year (LG 501c & 505c, SS r455c) I'd probably go with the Samsung. ;)

TurkTube B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Well, Turk, if that young lady is as smart as her blog suggests, I predict that she will be making her
way to the Turk Forums once she needs to purchase additional minutes for her new phone! ;)

BTW, why does the Samsung r455c cost $20 more through Net10 than through Tracfone?
Is something disabled on the Tracfone phone?

Thanks! :)

ShadowDancer

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
annepani
April 1, 2012, 8:26 pm
The Sweeper
March 28, 2012, 6:51 pm
Hi Sweep... Did you take a road trip? ... What did you discover?
Sally... my tour of 20 stores (7 Wal Marts, 2 K-Mart’s 5 Targets, 1 Sears, and 5 Radio Shacks), I only found the ST
version of the LG 505C (I dubbed it the LG Chimera, because it was a creature of myth) at one Wal Mart (Bedford,
NH), but did not buy it.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
ShadowDancer:

BTW, why does the Samsung r455c cost $20 more through Net10 than through Tracfone?
Is something disabled on the Tracfone phone?
* ShadowDancer .... no, there is nothing different or disabled about the two versions of this phone.
* No one knows for sure why Net10's version is more, but here is my thoughts of why it might be more.

A. Most people want messaging phones with a qwerty keyboard, because most people like to text now-a-days.
B. Net10's $25 monthly card and their $50 unlimited monthly card are very popular today.
C. So, you put A and B together and you get Net10 being able to suck $20 more from people for their service.

* Also, Tracfone's Samsung t404g is only $60 - and Net10's Samsung t404g is $80 ... similar situation I guess.

* annepani .... when Sweep Racer gets any phone, we know about it asap ... that's why I figured he didn't find it. ;)

Turk*Mart B-)

Masked Superstar
Member Avatar
Masked Member
Howdy Turk and everyone,

Thanks everyone for all the phone info, it looks like a really cool phone. My wife and I have been waiting patiently for
awhile now for this phone and the LG 505C to show up. I know the Samsung 455C is now on Tracfone's website for
60 bucks and has triple minutes for life. But my wife wants to see the LG 505c first, to see what the price will be, and
then decide what new phones we will buy. She is tired of her LG 290C because now she wants a qwerty keypad so
she can text better and faster. :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I was at one of my Target stores today and guess what they had out for sale for the first time ever in stores!?
* The new Tracfone Samsung r455c! -- Price was $60 -- and it came with TMFL.
* I had my World Famous Turkberry (r355c) on me, so I took a picture of it (below).
* I almost fainted and cried after seeing this phone - there hasn't been CDMA Tracfones around here for a long time!

Posted Image

Picture provided by Turk and his Turkberry B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi everyone ... I would like to do a brief Review of my Samsung r455c Phone from Tracfone ... enjoy!

The Samsung r455c is a bar-shaped, feature phone (not a smartphone) that was released by Tracfone in April 2012.
This model is derived from the Samsung Messager III phone which was released back in November of 2010.

Posted Image

^ This is the Samsung r455c in Tracfone's original packaging. The major selling points for this model include:

1. Unlimited Triple Minutes for Life
2. A Slider Qwerty Keyboard
3. 1.3 MP Camera with Digital Zoom
4. Mobile Web Access
5. MP3 Player
6. An Expansion Slot (accepts a microSD card of up to 16GB)
7. MMS Picture Messaging
8. Bluetooth Wireless Technology
9. A Hands-Free Speaker
10. Hearing Aid Compatible
11. Voice Dialing/Voice Sound Recorder
12. Auto Redial
13. 1000 Entry Phonebook
14. Battery Talk Time up to 4.5-6 hours
15. Standby Time up to 10-12.5 days
16. Low Cost Text Messaging (3 messages per airtime minute)
17. The Ability to Call Nationally, Internationally (rates apply to only certain foreign destinations), or Roam at Local Call
Rates
18. Verizon Network Coverage
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

^ What's Inside the Box?

In addition to the body of the phone (center), the contents of the packaging includes (clockwise, from left to right):

1. An A/C Wall Charger
2. An Activation Card
3. A Tracfone Service Guide
4. The Back Cover of the Phone
5. A Samsung 3.7 Volt, Lithium Ion Battery

The package does NOT include an Owner's Manual/User Guide, a USB cable, a cell phone car charger, earphones,
or a microSD card. A free Owner's Manual/User Guide for the phone can be downloaded as a PDF file directly from
the Tracfone website: http://img.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/pub/6396/docs/UserGuide.pdf

In addition, the Tracfone website does offer a number of short tutorials for the Samsung r455c:
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?custId=TFSAR455c

If, however, you want a USB cable, a cell phone car charger, earphones, or a microSD card for the phone's expansion
slot, you will have to buy these items separately... Amazon.com is a good source for many of these accessories.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

^ The Back of the Phone...

On the left side of the photo is the back cover of the Samsung r455C... From it, you can see that the phone's shell is
principally a glossy black plastic. So, needless to say, it does attract finger prints like a magnet. In addition, the back
cover contains the opening for the 1.3 MP camera lens, and next to it, is the grill covering the single speaker.

On the right side of the photo is the back of the phone with the cover removed showing the Samsung battery properly
inserted into the phone. The expansion slot for the microSD card lies underneath the battery on the phone's right side.
This slot can only be accessed by removing the back cover of the phone. .. The expansion slot does not open directly
out to the exterior of the phone due to the location of the phone's camera button. Holds a microSD card of up to 16GB.

Posted Image

^ This photo demonstrates the size of the Samsung r455c in relationship to my hand. I don't have a petite/small hand,
nor do I have an extra large hand. So, the size of this phone feels very comfortable in my hand to me. Moreover, as
this phone does contain a Qwerty Keyboard, it is definitely heavier (3.7 ounces) than, for example, an LG 800g (3.06
ounces) or an LG 900g (3.4 ounces). ... But, I like the heavier weight. It makes the phone feel solid and well-built as
compared to other cell phone models that seem to me to be so light and fragile that they will immediately disintegrate,
if I blow on them too hard. Also, the Samsung r455c has a 2.4-inch screen display.

At the same time, as I mentioned previously, the phone's exterior is essentially a glossy black plastic. As the result,
the phone can be slippery --very slippery-- to hold. So, if you don't want to accidentally drop it, I would recommend
buying a skin/case for the phone as soon as you can. I found that a Samsung Messager III skin/case fits the phone
perfectly.

Posted Image

^ The charger/USB dock is located at the top of the phone. This dock is NOT used to connect a headset to the phone.
There is a separate headset jack on the Samsung r455c.
When you begin to charge the battery, the screen which is shown in the photo appears. At the same time, a box will
appear on the screen asking whether you wish to charge the battery with the screen's backlight on or off. If you decide
to leave the backlight on, it does take longer for the battery to charge. So, the time to initially charge the new battery
can vary from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours... Once the battery is fully charged, a box will appear on the screen which states
that the battery charging is complete.

Posted Image

^ The right side of the phone contains both the dedicated camera button and the headset jack.. The position of the
camera button is very comfortable when the phone is being used as a camera. However, its position does prevent
the phone's expansion slot from being accessible from the outside. And, I have found that the camera button can be
in the way when I attempt to open the Qwerty keyboard with both hands. As the result, I trigger the camera instead
of successfully opening the keyboard.

The headset jack is located at the top of the right side of the phone. It is a standard 3.5 mm jack, and as I mentioned
previously, earphones do NOT come with this phone.

Posted Image

^ The left side of the phone contains the volume control and is the side on which the Qwerty keyboard slides out.
The bottom or base of the Samsung r455c only contains the phone's microphone.

Posted Image

^ The Qwerty keyboard smoothly slides out from the left side of the phone, and when the keyboard is open, the screen
display rotates from vertical or portrait viewing to horizontal or landscape viewing. In the open position, too, the top
half of the phone balances well with the lower half of the phone. In some models, owners have complained that the
top of the phone is too heavy for a proper balance so that it becomes difficult to use the Qwerty keyboard. But, I have
not found this to be true in the Samsung r455c.

At the same time, the Qwerty keyboard is spacious and well-laid out, although as another reviewer observed, it does
not have a dedicated "@" key or a dedicated ".com" key as some other models have. But, the keyboard is designed
for adult hands and fingers, and the top of each key has a slight swell so that you can feel the individual keys as you
text/type. When I added entries into my Contact List, I found myself making very few key stroke errors... So, I am very
pleased with the design of the phone's keyboard.

Posted Image

^ The Main Menu Screen of the Samsung r455c is composed of 9 sub-menus.

Beginning in the upper left corner, the first sub-menu is the Prepaid Menu. This is the place to locate key information
about your phone such as its serial number, and once it is activated, your phone number. This is also the menu from
which you can check your minute balance and due date, and from which you can buy and add airtime minutes.

The second sub-menu is the Contact Menu. It includes the Samsung's 1,000 entry Phone Book, Speed Dial, and
Groups. I found the individual entry templates in the Phone Book to be very frustrating as the entries cannot be
customized to accommodate your contact information. For example, if you have a business contact with two business
phones, the Phone Book only allows one business phone number per entry. Again, if a friend has several home
phones/land-lines, the Phone Book only allows one home phone/land-line number for each contact. The phone
number labels cannot be modified, nor can the categories be expanded to suit your contact information.
At the same time, Groups used within the Phone Book are limited to just 5 members. You can get around this limitation
of Group members by adding additional Groups to your list of Groups. But, still, why is each Group limited to 5 members?

The third sub-menu is the Recent Calls Menu. It records, for example, Outgoing, Incoming, and Missed Calls.
In addition, this menu includes a Call Timer and a Data Counter.

The fourth sub-menu is the Message Menu. This Menu is primarily for text messages as it includes an Inbox, Outbox,
and Drafts box. Further it includes a box for Voicemail, and it has a function which allows text messages to be erased.

The fifth sub-menu is the Browser. The Browser includes a Favorites section, and a place when you can enter a URL,
if you already know it, prior to launching the Browser. This set-up can save you phone minutes.

The sixth sub-menu is the Games & Apps Menu. It contains a Games section where you can store games and buy
games. The phone does not have any preloaded games on it. In addition, the Games & Apps Menu includes both
the phone's Music Player and its Camera. The mp3 player can play mp3, AAC, AMR, and WAV files... As noted
previously, the Camera is a 1.3 MP camera. The Camera settings allow you to select the shot type (single, multiple,
or mosaic shot), the resolution of your images, the compression of your pictures (superfine, fine, or normal), and the
white balance of your photos. You can also change the look of your images with Color Effects, or you can opt for Night
Shots which will allow you to take photos in low light conditions. And, finally, the Self-Timer allows you to join others in
a picture.

The seventh sub-menu is My Folder. This Folder stores ringtones which you buy and download, or ringtones which
you transfer to the phone. In addition, My Folder stores images from your camera, images which you buy and down
load, and images which you transfer to your phone. My Folder also keeps track of your phone's Memory Status and
displays both the amount of phone memory and the amount of card memory you have used and have available for
use.

The eighth sub-menu is the Tools Menu. The Tools Menu includes Bluetooth Settings, Voice Settings, a Calendar,
a Memo Pad, an Alarm Clock, a Calculator, a Stop Watch, a Converter, etc.

And, the final sub-menu is the Settings Menu. Settings includes GPS Location Settings, Display Settings, Sound
Settings, Call Settings, Phone Settings, and general Phone Information.

Posted Image

^ Cases or skins are available for the Samsung r455c phone. There are a large number to chose from, for example,
on Amazon.com. However, if you cannot find one that suits you, the cases/skins of the Samsung Messager III will fit
the Samsung r455c phone, too... In the photo above is a black Samsung Messager III case/skin, the same case/skin
I put on my Samsung r455c... It's a perfect fit!

So, this concludes my initial look at the major features of the new Samsung r455c. Once I activate the phone, I'll have
additional comments to make on the phone's Browser, Camera, and its ability to download and run Java-based apps.

ShadowDancer :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ShadowDancer .... just wanted to say thanks for all your work you put into this great review, it is appreciated.

* I know you said on here that you had a small "picture problem" on your phone, and Tracfone sent you a new one.

* Whenever you get the new phone up and running, let us know how that all turned out, the good and/or the bad.

* And as time goes by, feel free to post anything new you come across about the phone, for this may be my next phone?

* PS: if anyone else out there has this phone, feel free to post your thoughts or opinions about it as well... thanks. ;)

TurkFone B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

And, thank you, Turk, for your invaluable assistance! B-)

You know, after reading through several recent Forum posts, I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that Bobby Lee has
recently gotten himself a Samsung r455c. If that's true, it sure would be nice if he would consider sharing some of his
observations and insights into this model with the rest of us, too. . . . Bobby Lee?? :huh:

Thanks again,

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I have a few questions about this phone that maybe someone out there, who has it, can maybe answer sometime.

* Does anyone know if you can use a full length MP3 song as a ringtone? ... and how does the song sound on it?

* Does anyone know how the voice quality is when talking to someone else on the phone? (good, decent, or bad?)

* How is the picture quality on this phone, does it take good pictures for being a 1.3mp camera?

* Thanks for any or all help.. ;)

* Ps: I was told BobbyLee has this phone, so I'm sure if he gets it activated, he'll be here in a "New York minute"! (lol)

Not MP3, but MPT, T as in Turk B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Yes, I did get the R455C the day or two before Tracfone made the LG 505C available so I never activated it.
I’m trying to decide which of those two will be my new CDMA phone... Since I haven’t activated it, I can’t do
much with it, I called the PRL update number and listened to the recording say I couldn’t update the PRL at
this time (because it’s not activated) and that recording sounded good, clear, and the phone had plenty of
volume. I seem to get several more reception bars on the R455C compared to my LG 231C but those bars
aren’t always a good indication of how good the reception really is, my LG800G can have one bar and yet
the calls are clear as can be. I loaded a few MP3 files on it and played them to see how well they sounded
through the speaker and they sounded real good to me, better than on the LG 800G speaker.

Keeping in mind that mine isn’t activated I can’t get any jar files onto the phone to install them, I tried via BT and
it wouldn’t accept them. I transferred a jar file to the memory card and couldn't find any way to browse to it or
find it using the phone. I’ve heard others say they put Opera Mini on it so I hope if I activate this phone it will
download jar files into the Games directory and I’ll be able to install them from there. If nothing changes after
activation I don’t see anyway to transfer apps from a computer to install on the phone so I hope downloading
them via the native browser will allow us to install apps.

Formatting the card creates three folders My_Images, My_Music, and My_Ringtones. I put an additional folder on
the memory card using my computer called Other Files containing a couple jar files and a 3GP video (just a test I
know we don’t have video on it) but I couldn't browse to that folder using the phone. I also put the same files on the
card not in a folder and also put copies inside each of the three folders formatting created and I still couldn’t get to
any of them. I guess the files in those folders have to be in an acceptable format to be recognized like MP3’s in the
music folder and JPG files in the images folder. I couldn't find any options to create new folders via the phone.

When you goto My Folders, select Ringtones, and then choose My Ringtones it lists every ringtone as well
as every MP3 you have on the phone which makes finding your ringtones challenging when you have a lot
of music. And, going to My Folders, selecting My Images, then choosing Images gives you every picture in-
cluding any album art from your music files (in my case I had a lot of album art). FOR TURK: It did allow me
to assign a full length MP3 song to a contact but since I can’t call the phone, I can’t tell you how it sounds
when it plays or if it clips and loops it after so many seconds.

The MP3 player sounds pretty good and you can have it play in the background while you play with texting.
I couldn’t find any equalizer settings to adjust the bass or treble, it sounds good to me but I like more treble
and less bass so it might sound tinny to some folks. It seems to inventory the songs at a pretty good clip but
I only put 1.5 GB of music on my 16 GB memory card. Transferring music to the card is about 5 times faster
using a card reader directly to the card versus using the data cable to the phone. I’m not sure if the 3.5 mm
jack is a 4-conductor headset jack or 3-conductor headphone jack, but I could listen to music with both a
headset and headphones.

The camera takes pretty good pictures, more detail shows up compared to my LG 800G. I took the same picture
with both phones and the LG800G compressed a it to 197 KB while the R455C only compressed it to 281KB so
the LG compression algorithm compresses the crap out it compared to the Samsung. The colors from the Samsung
picture were more true to life than on the LG 800G... So, I found the pictures a tad sharper and the colors more
realistic with the 1.3 MP R455C than on the 2.0 MP LG800G.

I tried to transfer my contacts from my 800G to the R455C via BT and it wouldn’t allow it. After storing a couple
of my contacts on the LG 800G to the SIM card (stripping out all the extra fields), I was able to transfer those to
the R455C. I was able to BT a couple of wallpapers to the phone from my PC. I didn’t bother pairing the phone
with my BT headset. EDIT ADDED: I was able to xfer all contacts from my LG231C to the R455C via BT.

The keyboard is nice, my large fingers don’t have any problems using it unlike the virtual one on the LG800G.
The phone is nicely balanced for texting with more weight in the bottom keyboard section, it stays in my hand
better than a couple of other Tracfone / Net10 models that seemed to be top heavy, wanting to jump out of my
hand if I didn’t hold onto it tight .

That’s about all I’ve found so far. ... I’m pleased with what I’ve seen but not all that impressed, like most of their
CDMA phones it seems pretty locked down for file transfers and manipulation. If the LG 505C isn’t any better for
file handling and personalization I may stick with this phone for the voice quality because those recordings I was
able to listen to sounded better than most of the calls I’ve had on my LG231C and it gives me more bars around
the house so hopefully reception rivals the LG290C. One last thing, that damn browser button (the right soft key)
is unmovable, just waiting to be hit accidentally. :(

Masked Superstar
Member Avatar
Masked Member
I want to say thank you to you all for all the information and pictures you guys are posting on this phone. My wife and
I are looking to buy new cdma phones soon and we have been waiting for this phone and the LG 505C to both come
out so we can compare them and the prices. Both seem like nice phones, but that 90 dollar price tag on the 505c kind
of makes me leery. I see the R455C is on sale at Target this week for 50 dollars and they both seem to have the same
things, other than a touch screen on the 505c. So down the road, I could get two R455C's on sale for almost the same
price of one LG 505C... Just think, I was able to get our LG 290Cs for only 15 dollars a piece a few years ago on sale.
So seeing $90 for the 505C makes me go "Huh?" :huh:

annepani

Masked Superstar
June 1, 2012, 6:23 pm
My wife and I are looking to buy new cdma phones soon, and we have been waiting for this phone and the LG
505C to both come out so we can compare them and the prices. Both seem to have the same things, other than
a touch screen on the 505C. :huh:
If voice recorder is important to you, the LG 505c has a voice recorder with 2 settings: 60 seconds and 60 minutes.

I believe the R455C doesn't have a voice recorder, or maybe it has a max 30 secs.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Since no one has mentioned it, or apparently seen it...
I spotted the Net10 version at Wal Mart in Hindsdale, NH early this morning. I was running late, so no pic with the cover open.

Posted Image

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper .... thanks man for the picture ... I haven't seen the Net10 version anywhere around here yet, if ever?!

* ShadowDancer ... did you ever get your new phone/problem fixed that you mentioned a few weeks ago on here?

* BobbyLee ... thanks for all your info you posted about this phone - I'm glad it can play a full mp3 song as a ringtone.

* My r355c can play a full mp3 as a ringtone also, I think maybe all the more expensive Samsung Fones can do that.

* That is one of my many "little things" that I like in a phone, to be able to use a full length song as a ringtone.

* Ps: did you decide what phone you're gonna keep, the Samsung r455c or the LG 505c? (just asking) ;)

NETurk Unlimited B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk
June 10, 2012, 12:25 am
* BobbyLee ... thanks for all your info you posted about this phone - I'm glad it can play a full mp3 song as a ringtone.
* My r355c can play a full mp3 as a ringtone also, I think maybe all the more expensive Samsung Fones can do that.
* That is one of my many "little things" that I like in a phone, to be able to use a full length song as a ringtone.
Let me be clear, my R455C isn't activated, the only thing I was able to do was assign the full MP3 as
a ringtone but that's it... I have no clue if it will play the whole thing or cut it off after 15 seconds or so.

Turk
June 10, 2012, 12:25 am
* Ps: did you decide what phone you're gonna keep, the Samsung r455c or the LG 505c? (just asking) ;)
Nope, I haven't decided, the R455C seems real nice but I would like to see the LG 505C in person before I
make my decision and I was hoping the price would drop soon. I haven't heard that many folks praising the
LG 505C, but there are a lot that seem to like their Samsung R455C phones. At $90 (minus the BigCrumbs
21% discount) the LG 505C is an expensive Tracfone for me since I don't stay with any model very long.

I also have issues with the resistive touch screens they're using (not that cool, I keep pulling out a stylus to use),
it's not really worth an extra $30 just for the touch screen to me.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

I decided to activate the Samsung R455C. I was able to download and install Opera Mini 7.0 and the Facebook app
and both work fine. None of the GMail app versions (2.0.6 or 1.5) work on this phone, so don't bother tracking down
the remaining sites that still host copies of the jar and jad files. The only way I found to get apps installed to the phone
is via web downloads. There was no way to BT them (the phone wouldn't accept transfer of jar or jad formatted files),
nor can you use data cable to install them on the phone, you can put them on the memory card but then you can't get
to them or find them to run/install.

One note on installing Opera Mini 7.0, trying to install the signed security certificate version failed but installing the
normal unsigned version works fine on this phone. Unlike a lot of other phones I installed the untrusted version on
this phone doesn't bother you with the untrusted messages everytime it wants to go to the internet.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hi BobbyLee,

Thanks for sharing you experience with downloading apps to your Samsung r455c, especially Opera Mini, the
GMail App, the Facebook App, etc. You have no idea how much time you have saved me! I'm planning to down
load Opera Mini, and I was going to try to download the GMail app, too. But, it sounds like I don't need to waste
my time on GMail.

In any case, what I would like to know is, what websites do you use to download the java-based apps that you
have put on your phone? I've been looking around the Internet, and I've ended up on some sites that appear to
be based in the Middle East and India. What sites are safe to use? And, what do you do when a site wants you
to "set your device," and your Samsung r455c is not listed on the sites' outdated phone lists?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ShadowDancer ... I know awhile back you had problems with your Samsung r455c dealing with the pictures and stuff...

* And Tracfone sent you a new phone ... did you ever get your original r455c info transferred over to your new r455c?

* Did the transfer goes smoothly for you? ... and how is the picture stuff working for you now on your new r455c phone?

* BobbyLee .... now that you have your Samsung r455c phone up and running, how do you like it so far?

* Also, can you confirm to me if you can indeed use a full length MP3 song as a ringtone, etc? ... thanks.

* Also, do you have any information concerning ShadowDancer's question above about Java apps and stuff?

Not Ringtone - but Turktone B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk
July 5, 2012, 11:28 pm
* BobbyLee .... now that you have your Samsung r455c phone up and running, how do you like it so far?
Nice phone, good sound quality, good reception, but I’ve found a couple glitches. I can’t add new words to the T9
predictive text word list, even using the Add Word says it does but it doesn’t... Other folks say they have the same
problems as I’ve found multiple posts addressing that issue, no solution though. At least it has the full keyboard so
typing out the words isn’t so bad.

Also, everytime I put more than 2.2 GB of music on the memory card the Playlist function quits working, if you try
to access the list of Playlists it locks up for a minute and then reboots the phone. I tried different music selections
in case my MP3 files might be causing the problem but it still occurs. If anyone has 3 GB or more of music on their
R455C and can still access, add, edit, or delete from the Playlists I would like to hear about it. Works fine until you
get in the 2.0 – 2.3 GB range and then the Playlist seems to crap out. Everything else with the music player works
fine it’s just the Playlist function that burps.

This phone has plenty of volume, you can play MP3s through the speaker pretty loud and they sound pretty good
for a phone speaker. The memory card on this phone is only good for music and pictures so unless you have a huge
MP3 library you really don't need the 16 GB card, 8 GB suits me fine and I could probably get by with just a 4 GB.

Nothing fancy on this phone, no FM radio, no video, but I'm getting better pictures from this 1.3 MP phone than I
get from my 2.0 MP LG800G. I got a protective hard cover for it but it seems to put constant stress on the keyboard
when it's closed so I quit using it and opted for a SkinIt (I get them free with Coke reward points) for a better grip.
Bigger than my LG 231C but I can use Opera Mini, UC Browser, and the Facebook app on this CDMA phone. :)

Voice commands work good with my Blueant T-1 headset and I can play my music through it. The world clock works
fine on this phone, unlike the LG800G that is wrong during DST, but you have to open the World Clock to check the
other city times, you can't display it on the main screen so it's not convenient. No games come on the phone but you
can get them via the native browser Home page, Downloads, and then Games for a price/minutes.

Unfortunately there is no Call Reject on this phone so it's back to assigning a silent ringtone to contacts you don't
want ringing your phone. :( The Memo function is OK, you can lock messages so you don't delete them but you
can't secure them to prevent others from seeing them... You can make multiple notes, so that's better than my LG
800G that only has the one Memo/Note to use.

EDIT: After further testing I found that WMA formatted files is what crapped out the Playlists... After deleting
the few WMA files I had mixed in with my normal MP3s it works fine. I now have 3.1 GB of music (all MP3 and
no WMA files) and everything works as it should. So, if you like to use the Playlist function don't put any WMA
formatted files in your music collection . :)

Turk
* Also, can you confirm to me if you can indeed use a full length MP3 song as a ringtone, etc? ... thanks.
Yes, you definitely can. Instead of using the whole song I edit out the best 30 seconds and make ringtones out
of those clips (about 600K – 800K each). With 30 seconds before voice mail picks up I can enjoy the best parts
of my songs unless I decide to answer it. No more short clips repeating over and over until voice mail picks.
You can assign ringtones to individual contacts but not at the Group level. The only thing the Group is good for
on this phone is to send a text to up to 5 contacts at a time, each Group is limited to 5 contacts per group.

Turk
* Also, do you have any information concerning ShadowDancer's question above about Java apps and stuff?
ShadowDancer
A couple days ago!
In any case, what I would like to know is, what websites do you use to download the java-based apps that you
have put on your phone? I've been looking around the Internet, and I've ended up on some sites that appear
to be based in the Middle East and India. What sites are safe to use? And, what do you do when a site wants
you to "set your device," and your Samsung r455c is not listed on the sites' outdated phone lists?
I’m not big into Java apps on the phone, I’m tired of trying lots of apps/games only to find most don’t work on the
Tracfone/Net10 phones. They really crap up the OS, remove permissions, and make it incompatible with a lot of
the apps that are out there for normal Java phones... If you want to try a bunch for yourself -- www.umnet.com,
www.mobilerated.com, and www.getjar.com are pretty safe, but I’ve had no luck downloading apps from these
sites with this phone. The only apps I’ve been able to get onto the phone are ones I could download direct from
their sites which include Opera Mini 7.0, UC Browser, Facebook app, and the GMail apps. All of those work fine
except for the GMail apps, all versions of the GMail app 1.5 and 2.0.6 give me Java errors and refuse to launch.

As for the question about “set your device” I would say try setting it for the Samsung Messager III since that is what
the original version of this phone was before Tracfone made this knockoff of it, BUT, that may not work because I
have seen references that state the original phone used BREW and not Java.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

BobbyLee --
Thank you so very much for your insights into your Samsung r455c phone. You have no idea how helpful your
information has been! And, based upon your luck with downloading Java apps. I think I will content myself with
an Opera Mini browser.
Turk --
Regarding my Samsung r455c phone... Yes, the replacement unit which Tracfone mailed me is working properly.
I did have to re-boot the new phone about three times before the Image Display finally launched/opened. So, I was
holding my breath with nightmares dancing through my head that I was going to have to ask Tracfone to send me
still another unit. But, thank goodness that vision has never materialized.

Since then, I have been investigating as to how I can transfer my Contact List from one phone to another.
Perhaps if I had Blue Tooth on my computer, I could do a transfer that way. But, I don't have Blue Tooth.
So, that is a BobbyLee question . . .
BobbyLee --
Can you transfer the Contact List from the r455c to another r455c or another phone using Blue Tooth?
In my case, I had an early version of Samsung's Kies software (which is downloadable directly from the Samsung
website) on my computer, so I plugged my phone into my computer with a cable. My computer recognized my phone,
and the Kies software recognized my phone, but it was unable to make a connection to the phone. Kies may only
be for Samsung's smartphones. I don't know. At any rate, I tried to update my Kies software through the Samsung
website, and that was unsuccessful... I don't know whether there is an issue between Kies and Microsoft Vista, or
Samsung's software is just downright poor. But, all I accomplished was wasting more of my time. . . So, it appears
to me that the only way that I'm going to be able to move my Contact List from one phone to the other is the old -
fashioned way -- manually by hand, one contact at a time.

Then, a few evenings ago, I sat down at the computer ready to activate the replacement phone and to port my phone
number and minutes from the first phone to the replacement one. Another waste of time. Apparently, Tracfone has
flagged both phones (The first one, although claiming it's activated, will no longer send or receive.) and wants me
to phone them again into order to activate the replacement unit... So, I'm going to be on the phone to Miami again.

In any case, Turk, that's the latest on my Samsung r455c. . .(and don't even think of asking me about my hiccuping
HP printer or my progress with setting up a Blu-Ray player! It's just been one of those months.)

ShadowDancer :blink:

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* BobbyLee .... thanks man for answering all my questions and for posting all that information, good stuff, as usual.

* ShadowDancer ... thanks for answering my questions about your phone, hope all goes well with the new transfer.
* I guess the race is on to see what device you'll get up and running first, your Tracfone or the blu-ray player? (lol) :D

ShadowDancer:

Can you transfer the Contact List from the r455c to another r455c or another phone using Blue Tooth?
* I can answer this question .... BobbyLee isn't the only smart person on this forum, you know. (lol)

* Yes, you can transfer Phone Numbers/Contacts from one phone to the other with the bluetooth.
* Just turn on bluetooth on both phones - have them search for each other - then pair them - then send all contacts.

* The same steps apply for pictures as well: from phone to phone, or phone to computer, or computer to phone.
* After you try it and get it to work, it is pretty easy to use bluetooth after that ... good luck.. ;)

Not Bluetooth, but Turktooth B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

ShadowDancer
Two or three days ago
Like Turk said, yes you can transfer your contacts via BT between two R455C phones so don’t resort to manually
doing it unless you really enjoy using the keyboard entry. On the R455C you have to open your contact and hit the
Options button and select #6 “Send Name Card Via Bluetooth”... That lists all your contacts with check mark boxes
so you can select specific ones or you can select Options on that page and select Mark All. Then you hit Done and
it takes you to the BT page for you to pair with the other phone. Hope that is detailed enough to help.

The problem with transferring contacts between phones is that each manufacturer formats their contacts differently
and sometimes it goes smoothly sometimes it refuses to accept the differently formatted contacts. I could only transfer
contacts from my LG800G (has Last Name field and First Name field) to the R455C (only has one field for Name) by
first storing the contacts to the LG 800G’s SIM card (stripping out all the extra fields) then transferring them.

Funny, because I was able to transfer direct from my R455C to another LG 800G without doing anything special,
it just stored the Name field of the R455C to the Last Name field of the LG 800G.. I could also BT all the contacts
from my LG 231C direct to the R455C.. Depends on the model phones but between two R455C’s it shouldn’t be
an issue.

ShadowDancer
Same time as the previous quote
In any case, Turk, that's the latest on my Samsung r455c . . . (and don't even think of asking me about my
hiccuping HP printer or my progress with setting up a Blu-Ray player! It's just been one of those months.)
As for your hiccupping HP printer, I do a lot of computer work on the side and would suggest deleting the printer
from your list of hardware so it deletes the driver, disconnect the printer, find the newest driver on HP’s support
site for your OS and install it, then after it’s installed (or if it asks for it during the driver install) reconnect the printer.
Reloading the driver usually fixes most printer issues.

As for the Blu-Ray player, just find some teenager in your neighborhood and give them $5 to hook it up. :)

EDIT: I installed the Yahoo Mail app from GetJar using quick download number 36307 without any problems.
It looked so good I had to get me a Yahoo account so I could use it. :)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hey Turk, B-)
Come on, Man, I never suggested that you were not smart! It's just that BobbyLee has a Samsung r455c phone
sitting right in front of him, so that he can supply all of those little nuances that I need to get this phone to "sing."
You, on the other hand, are still debating whether to purchase this fine CDMA phone.

In any event, thanks to both you and BobbyLee for your invaluable BlueTooth instructions! I got my Contact List
with approximately 70 entries transferred to my replacment phone in less than a minute. Wow!. . .The only thing
that I noticed which did not transfer to the second phone was my Named Groups in the Contact List... That is, on
my first phone, I had created my own Named Groups, as the phone limits you to 5 people in each of its unnamed
Groups. My Named Groups didn't transfer. But, I can live with that. I know who is who. However, names, numbers,
and email addresses transferred perfectly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BobbyLee,
I am taking your advice on the Blu-Ray player. I have a cleaning lady who is a whiz with setting up televisions and
their accessories, so I am going to wait until she comes in to set up the player and its remote.

I'm still tinkering with the printer.

And, thanks, too, for the extra info which you posted recently on the Yahoo Mail app from GetJar. If you discover
any additional Java apps that you can successfully download, please be sure to let us all know!

Thanks again, Guys!

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Just wanted to give a quick update on the Tracfone Samsung r455c if anyone is interested in still buying one.
* Tracfone.com and Amazon.com haven't had this phone for sale for over a month now - I think it might be done!?

* The only place in stores that I've seen it has been Targets for $60 (but it's on sale now for $45 until 09/15/12).
* And what's sad is, that my all Target stores haven't had any in stock for like a month now - I think it might be done!?

* Here's my situation: I have 45 days & 45 minutes left on my Net10 Samsung r355c, then I'm coming back to Tracfone.

* I don't really care for slide out keyboard phones, which I mentioned many times before on this forum, but I love Verizon.
* There is nothing that good and cheap at the moment for CDMA Tracfones, except the r455c for $45 from Targets.

* But, at the moment I kind of have a crush on the new Tracfone Samsung s390g (WiFi), since I like blackberry type phones.
* If I would buy the Samsung s390g phone, I'd buy it from QVC.com for $100 (phone + 1 year card + accessory kit).

* If I would buy the Samsung r455c phone, I'd try and find one at a Target store somewhere for $45 by 09/15/12 !!!
* So basically, I am running out of time kind of fast here, so I have to make a choice in the next month, I guess. :-/

* What I am hoping for is a few things to maybe happen in the next month or so...
1. Tracfone to come out with a new CDMA phone (like the Samsung r375c) to maybe buy.
2. Tracfone.com to come out with the Samsung r455c again -- or a refurbished r455c + airtime card combo.
3. Tracfone to come out with a nice, cool looking (GSM or CDMA) touchscreen phone (android or non-android).

* If I can't get a hold of a cheap Samsung r455c, I may just buy the Samsung s390g and use it for awhile until
* something better comes along.

* In the past, I have crossed over plenty of times between CDMA and GSM, so this would not be anything new to me.

* Ps: thanks for reading and listening to my dilemma .. I'll be okay .. I am just thinking out loud .. that's all. (lol) ;)

B-) Turk - Countdown to Operation Tracfone is on...

annepani

Hi Turk, Tracfone indeed still has new (not refurbished) Samsung R455c's. They have them in the warehouse.
I know because they are sending me one. I have my FedEx number and everything. It is due here tomorrow or
the next day.

When I called to return the S390, they asked if I wanted something else to replace it. I said the R455c, they said
okay, and it should be here soon. It was that easy.

I think you should call Exec Resolutions and tell them you need one. I'll give you the name of the lady I spoke to
if you want it.

And what about shopcelldeals on ebay? Have you tried them?

I know it's blasphemy and I will have a scarlet letter on my forehead, but ... have you thought about PagePlus?
All Verizon all the time and great phones. But no roaming.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* annepani .... thanks for all your info and input into my situation, it's appreciated. ;)
* If the CS Reps said they have some r455's left in their warehouse, then maybe they'll be back soon on their website.

* If I do decide to buy a r455c phone, I want it to be cheaper than $60 (original price), since I'm not big on slider phones.
* I'd buy a refurb r455c + 60 minute airtime card special if they would sell one, like they do with their GSM phones.

* I checked everywhere ... ebay, amazon, qvc, hsn, Tracfone.com, googled it, etc ... it seems to be gone for now.
* I don't need one that bad, I have a month to sit and wait ... and, I might even decide to try out the Samsung s390g.

* I know all about Page Plus, but I am not interested in them at this time, but who knows what lies down the road.
* Ps: what made you decide to return the s390g? ... and what made you decide to try out the r455c? (if I may ask)

Not Page Plus, but Turk Plus B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Wow, Turk! B-)
I am speechless to learn that the Samsung r455c has disappeared from shelves and web sites. Do you really
feel that Tracfone is discontinuing the phone so soon? After all, it was just introduced at the end of March. As
far as I know, there has been no serious problems with the phone model. Or, do you think that Samsung is just
slow in replacing supplies of the phone? Remember it took the company, was it 6 weeks, to replenish Straight
Talk's Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. At that time, rumors were springing up that it was being dropped.

In any event, if the phone does completely disappear, I wonder what its replacement might be. Any ideas?
You would know better than I would. But, my impression based upon this past year is that Tracfone seems
to offer its best new phone models each year between roughly March and July. . . .In the Fall, the company
may add one or two additional models to its inventory, but they seem to be just basic phones that don't create
much buzz.

Is my impression correct, or are you expecting Tracfone to announce an attention grabbing phone this Fall?
I know many of the major companies such as Apple and Samsung are planning to release new, major phones
in September and October.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ShadowDancer .... I don't know if Tracfone is discontinuing this phone or not, but I doubt it, since it is fairly new out.
* They're probably just out of them since the phone seemed to be a big seller, from what I see across the internet world.

* Seemed like a lot of people wanted a qwerty keyboard phone & Verizon, therefore, this phone sold like hot cakes! (lol)
* I say it comes back in time, Tracfone is probably just restocking them as we speak. ;)
----------------------------

* I don't have a clue as to what new phones will appear or when they will appear, Tracfone doesn't have "release dates".
* It use to be years ago that Tracfone would release new GSM phones in the Spring and new CDMA phones in the Fall.

* But that has changed in the last few years -- now it's sporadic -- you don't know what or when phones will come out?
* Ps: Count down to Operation Tracfone: 42 days left and 42 minutes left on my Samsung r355c ... tick ... tick ... tick...

tUrKfOnE B-)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Okay, all my (3) Target stores never got anymore Samsung r455c's back in stock, they been gone for over a month.
* Over the last week or so, I went back to all of the Targets and now they are selling the Samsung s425g in its place.

* The r455c's are gone... and seem to be gone for good from my Targets... good job Tracfone, way to push that GSM! ^o)
* Anyway, I have only like 30 service days and 18 minutes left on my Net10 Samusng r355c until I come back to Tracfone.
----------------------------------

* Two weeks ago, I saw on Tracfone.com that they were selling GSM reconditioned phones + 60 minute cards for $30.
* And I saw that they had the Reconditioned Motorola ex124g + 60 minute card for $30 -- which isn't bad I thought.

* I owned and used the Net10 Motorola ex124g for about 3 month a year ago in the Summer of 2011.
* There was some good things I liked about it and some not so good things about -- but it was decent overall.

* I had a review of it in the Motorola ex124g phone topic (page 2) if anyone is interested.
* I said back then, that if I come back to Tracfone, and it gets under $50 ($80 at that time) I'd maybe buy it again.

* Well, I coming back to Tracfone, and it is basically $10 (minus the airtime card) - so I decided to buy it and see.

* I got it delivered last week one day, and have it all customized and ready to go for activation, when the time comes.
* Only thing is, no one knows for sure if it has TMFL - DMFL - or No minutes for Life - it's not showing on Tracfone.com.

* Anyway, if I decide to try out the Motorola ex124g again, I guess I'll go with it for awhile until I want another phone.
* Hopefully over the next coming months a CDMA phone comes out that I would like better than what's out there now.

* Oh well, I still have some time and minutes left on my Turkberry to change my mind and maybe find something else.
* Ps: when I had the Net10 ex124g last year, I called it my iFone (iPhone, get it? lol) - and I'll call it my iFone again. ;)

Moturkola B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Aww, Turk, a Motorola ex124g! .. Hope you don't have to stand on your head as you cling to the Cathedral of
Learning in order to get proper reception! ;) . . . But, I understand. It was only $10.

Last week, I was up on I-80 and had to stop at a Wal-Mart. While I was there, I breezed through its Electronics
Department which did have Net10 Samsung r455C phones for sale... So, there still are some units available.

annepani

ShadowDancer
September 12, 2012, 6:20 pm
Last week, I was up on I-80 and had to stop at a Wal-Mart. While I was there, I breezed through its Electronics
Department which did have Net10 Samsung r455C phones for sale... So, there still are some units available.
I think Turk is looking for the Tracfone version, not the Net 10 version.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* annepani ... I'm gonna take a guess and say ShadowDancer knows I'm talking about the Tracfone version of the r455c.
* I think ShadowDancer probably just meant that they still have at least some of the Net10 Samsung r455c around.

* Anyway, the Net10 Version of the r455c never showed up around here in any of my many stores... which sucks! (lol)
* That's why I was surprised when the Tracfone Samsung r455c even showed up at my Target stores!

* I'm not upset I didn't grab one when they were still available, for I don't really care much for slide out keybord phones.

* I am a little upset because some of my older relatives who use Tracfone now want a new CDMA phone with TMFL
* and a decent camera - and I was thinking of getting them the r455c - but now I can't find any. (he who hesitates...)(lol)

* Oh well, I guess the Turk Clan will just have to wait a few more months to see if any new CDMA phones pop up.. ;)

Turk, from the Clan Turk B-)

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Thanks, Turk! B-) ... Your interpretation of my post was dead on.

------------------------------------------
In my opinion, if Tracfone's 2011 phone releases are any indication of those in the future, I wouldn't expect to
see much in the way of new phone models until Spring 2013.

Hope your clan members are patient people!

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* ShadowDancer ... yeah, it looks like the Turk Clan will have to wait until Spring for new CDMA Tracfones to appear. :ermm:

* Also, for those who are lucky, Target stores have the Tracfone Samsung r455c ($60) on sale this week for only $40.

* Like I said in my previous posts above, all my Target stores have replaced the Samsung r455c's with the Samsung s425g.

* But, if I go to a Target store this week, I may ask a worker if they have any in the back in storage, just to make sure.

* And if they would have some in storage, I may buy one just to have, just in case I change my mind on the Moto ex124g?

* Ps: I have only like 25 service days and 15 minutes left on my Net10 Samsung r355c until I come back to Tracfone. ;)

Turk's iFone coming soon. B-)

annepani

Target has the Tracfone Samsung R455C advertised in the Sunday flier for $40, 9/16 - 9/22/12, no rain checks.

ShadowDancer
Member Avatar

Hey Turk, B-)

Based on the Target ad that annepani found, now is your time to nab a Samsung r455C before they disappear!
Given the GSM Moto ex124g that you now own, I feel that I would want to have a CDMA squirreled away just in case.
You know from experience that AT&T just can't handle those mountains like Verizon can.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
annepani:

Target has the Tracfone R455C advertised in the Sunday flier for $30, 9/16 - 9/22/12, no rain checks.
* annepani .... are you sure about that?, just asking, cause in the online Ad at Target.com it's listed on sale for $40.

* Anyway, I called all my (3) Target stores tonight, and they all said it was on sale for $40 - I just wanted to make sure.
* Anyway, it doesn't matter if the phone was free, because my Target stores don't have any they said, only the s425g's.

* So they checked their computers for inventory, and said their computes don't show the r455c's in stock anymore.
* But they did say they were selling the Samsung s425g's for $40 (on sale) in its place, if I wanted that phone instead.

* Oh well, I'm done with this phone, I give up. (lol) .... time to focus now on the Motorola ex124g (Turk's iFone). ;)
* Ps: annepani ... you said awhile back that you were getting this phone ... did you get it? ... and how do you like it?

AT&Turk B-)

annepani

Hi Turk... Sorry to take so long to respond. Been under the weather and haven't been posting much lately.

Anyway I have good news and bad news.

Bad news: Yes, I mistyped when I said $30. I have corrected it to reflect that it is indeed $40.
Sale ends Saturday night. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Good news: Target has plenty of R455c's around in stores. I checked last night in person at one of my local
Targets and again today by calling the national 800 number.

The R455C is not sold on target.com so you cannot search by phone name. It simply doesn't show upin the
system. Many Target employees are not aware that in that case they must use the store's internal DPCI # using
target's internal inventory system. That may be why you were told the R455Cs were not in stock anymore.

Last night I went to the Customer Service desk at one of my Targets (NOT the Electronics department), gave
them the ad, they gave me the DPCI # and told me there were 2 of them in the store. They then printed out for
me all the Targets in a 10 mile radius that had them in stock together with how many there were in each store.
There were a total of 14 R455Cs among the 6 stores in the 10-mile radius.

I have found it is much better to go to Customer Service, not the Electronics department... In Electronics they
may be trying to wait on a customer, but in Customer Service you ARE the customer. They take plenty of time
to research the situation and explain things to you.

This afternoon I called the national 800 number (which I had to dig out of the fine print on target.com), gave the
CSR my zip and the DPCI # and asked if there were any phones available. I was checking on the info I got last
night. She came up with 12 phones and the same 6 stores so I guess 2 sold overnight.

Then I asked about Pittsburgh. I didn't know a zip code so she took a stab with zip 15275. She came up with
4 phones in N Fayette, 4 more phones in Mt Nebo and she would have kept on going but I said no, my friend
can call back with the exact zip code.

So why don't you call them and see how many R455Cs you come up with. Here is the info you need:

Target stores and product info, 1-800-440-0680
Samsung R455C DPCI # 080-02-0027

If you have lost interest in the R455C and this info doesn't help you now, then maybe it will help in the future.

annepani, Shopping Detective Extradornaire

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* annepani .... just wanted to say thanks for all the detective work that you put into this phone at your Target store.
* And thanks for the information on dealing with Target stores/customer service desk - I'll keep that in mind next time.

* However, I have given up on this phone, only because the Samsung s380c (blackberry type) phone has appeared.
* The s380c is the type of phone I'd go looking for at any store, anywhere, just to find one, if you know what I mean. (lol)

* I told my relatives who want a new phone to hold tight, because we are probably all gonna get the s380c now.
* The Samsung s380c will probably now become the official phone of the Almighty Turk Clan.. ;)

B-) Turk - leader of the Almighty Turk Clan

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Not big news or anything, but I thought I'd just mention this little bit of information...

* I see over on Tracfone.com that they brought back this phone for sale, the Samsung r455c -- price is still $60.

* Tracfone.com Link: http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&market=CO

* I think that's great and all, but this phone is now a year old and is from last year's selection of CDMA phones.

* This is ok with me... but how about moving forward with the new selection of CDMA phone for this year already!

* Why does time stand still when it comes to releasing new CDMA Tracfones! (and this year's selection better be good!)

Turk B-) Fone

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.