Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... Easter is this coming Sunday... do you do anything special for Easter? ..(Ex: holiday dinner/color eggs/eat candy/etc)
Yes, I do special things / some things.
No, I don't usually do anything special.
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tracking a Tracfone / Net10 Phone?
Topic Started: September 14, 2011, 8:08 am (9,204 Views)
gdsmit1

My son is getting to the point where he needs to have a cell phone. I have been putting it off, but now that
Tracfone is getting some cool phones, decided now is the time.

But one of the things I want to be able to do is track where his phone is located.

Does any of the tracking software work on the Tracfones? I'm thinking of either the Samsung T401G or T404G,
mainly because they look like they are good for texting.

I know that people use Google Latitude for this and that would be acceptable. But are there any other programs
out there?... He seems to like the touch screens, so maybe the LG 800g? That can use java apps, are there any
java tracking apps out there?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

annepani

The Samsung T401g is Net10 only. The Samsung T404g is available for both Net10 and Tracfone.
I have them both and they are both good for texting.

The LG 800g and Motorola EX124g are both GSM (ATT or T-mobile based) touchscreen phones.
Both are available now on Net10 and Tracfone. The Motorola feels more rugged and might have a
slight edge on apps. I had them both and decided to stick with the LG 800G.

The soon-to-be-announced (we think) LG 505c is a CDMA touchscreen phone (Verizon or US Cellular based)
that will be available for both Net10 and Tracfone (we think).

What phone you choose depends on what carrier is strongest in your area and whether you are willing to
wait for the LG 505c to actually be available for sale. I would be very careful about plunking down the $80
for the Moto EX124g only to hear one week later that the LG 505c has become available if what you really
wanted was Verizon.

There are other considerations like Triple Minutes for Life vs Double Minutes for Life. If what you wanted was
opinions, you have come to the right place. Please check back several times per day for a few days, to get an
earful, and ask away before you commit money to any one path.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gdsmit1

We decided on the LG 800g for the son. I picked it up this afternoon and have it activated. He won't get it until Saturday.

But I have to ask if anyone knows if there's a tracking software that would work on the LG 800g?

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

gdsmit1,
Probably not, none of the Tracfones have internal GPS capability which a lot of the apps depend on for
location information... Latitude won't load on any Tracfones I've tried it on (and that's a lot of the models
but not the LG 800G) and several of the free apps I've tried hoping they used triangulation installed but
never worked. There are a couple of apps with monthly plans $$$ out there I haven't tried because after
two or three months you've spent what it would cost for a new phone on the monthly payments so is it
worth that (and they probably won't work on Tracfones)?

If anyone gets a location app to work I would love to hear about it too!

KLM
Member Avatar

(Tracking/location app) Not going to happen unfortunately. Such an app would have to ask the OS for permission
to access hardware (that doesn't exist) to which the OS will deny... And there is a barrier beyond that.

Someday, if I have time, I'll document just how easy it is for the OS TF/Net10 uses to deny all the hardware
goodies (access), and why no one ever comes up with work-around's, like button remapping by using an app.
In short, while a block is being programmed, programming is abruptly/intentionally aborted while it was waiting
for a particular input that will never come. Things are functional, but it's not (ever) ready to accept a range of
changes to programming. Decent protection scheme... Simply, were out of luck. :(

gdsmit1

Aren't all cell phones required to have a GPS in them for 911 calls?

Is this maybe accessible only by the phone's coding?

And what's OS? ... Operating system?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

gdsmit1
September 15, 2011, 2:41 pm
Aren't all cell phones required to have a GPS in them for 911 calls?
Is this maybe accessible only by the phone's coding?
And what's OS? ... Operating system?
Here is a firm that does tracking, and a list of phone systems it can track with a software download.
It sells spyware and monitoring services that allows the owner to listen in on conversations, read messages,
and track locations. It is an interesting read to learn just what electronic surveillance capability exists.

http://www.cellspyagent.com

cellular systems supported:

Blackberry OS 4.23.1 or higher
Android 1.0 or higher
Symbian S60 3rd Edition, 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1, 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 and 5th Edition Phones
iPhone OS 2.x, 3.x and 4.x
Windows Mobile 5.x and 6.x

The above are all high-end, expensive smart phones involving several hundred dollars to purchase, and a
lot of monthly dollars to service. -- worth tracking the high-end phone if it is lost or stolen, and keeping track
of the high-value user.

You won't find Java-app phones like the LG 800G listed because they are low-end, low price phones, and such
users just won't pay for such a service. No doubt the FBI can require the cell phone carrier to do a location search
on your LG 800G if a 911 call is made or for an Amber alert, but cell phone companies aren't going to offer it as a
consumer service on low-end phones -- just no profit in it.

As an example, my daughter's LG 800G was taken out of her backpack at school. Its gone, and from a practical
standpoint, unrecoverable. But it is only a $50 phone at most, and maybe $10 a month to service -- not worth the
expense and manpower that would be required to locate it. Neither the FBI nor your local police will be the least
bit interested in devoting any manpower to its loss... On the bright side, all the minutes and days of service are
recoverable, including the phone number. And the phone can be deactivated and effectively blocked from further
use. So whoever took it won't ever be able to use, and its not worth much more than a $1 to a stolen property fence,
if that much.

The bottom line is -- if you are really set on a tracking system -- look to a smartphone, using one of the systems
above, and a service like cellspyagent... It is what I would do if I were a little more wealthy than I am.

Damn those dollars -- just never enough of them.

UPDATE:

Here is another tracking service that will so some java-based phones:

http://www.accutracking.com/

Here is another source for cell phone tracking devices:

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com

gdsmit1

That's not really what I'm looking for the tracking software for. My main interest is in case of emergency. If he doesn't
show up somewhere he's supposed to be. If some sort of event happens that ties up the cell calls. (i.e. a 911 event)
That sort of thing mainly. But knowing where the phone is would be nice as well, he has a couple of trouble makers
on his bus.

yorty

I need to know what my son is doing, he has Net10... can I recover his text messages?

Plz help!

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
If he deletes them off the phone, then no.

yorty

Can I track him from my computer or a different phone?

You call the # and then see where he is, or the phone is, he's on lot of something, I gotta help him.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

There are some firms that do tracking and electronic surveillance that might help you for a fee:

http://www.cellspyagent.com

cellular systems supported:

Blackberry OS 4.23.1 or higher
Android 1.0 or higher
Symbian S60 3rd Edition, 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1, 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 and 5th Edition Phones
iPhone OS 2.x, 3.x and 4.x
Windows Mobile 5.x and 6.x

Here is another tracking and surveillance service that will so some java-based phones:

http://www.accutracking.com/

Here is another source for cell phone tracking devices:

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* yorty .... to basically answer your questions ... No, you can't track your son on his Net10 phone, sorry.

* These cheap phones for Tracfone and Net10 don't have anything like that in the phone --> no tracking devices.

* Some of the more expensive cell phones like DoctorM has mentioned above may have some of these features.

* But that is up to you to decide if you want to go that route with a more expensive cell phone/service ... good luck.

Turk B-)

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Topics Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.