Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... Who would you like to see win the Baseball World Series?
Kansas City Royals
San Francisco Giants
I don't care who wins.
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Survey - Do you web browse on your Tracfone?
Topic Started: September 14, 2011, 1:56 am (5,235 Views)
KLM
Member Avatar

Survey - Do you actually browse the web using your Tracfone/Net10 phone?

For a long time, I have been wondering if Tracfone/Net10 users who went through the trouble of installing a
3rd party browser such as Bolt or OperaMini actually browse the web regularly with their dumbphone.

So, how long have you been web browsing with your Net10/Tracfone (days, months, years?) and about how
many minutes do you loose use browsing per month? (did ya catch the TF/Net10 humor?)

If you use the limited browser that came with your phone, do tell!

I suppose this survey could be expanded to include which websites you visit with your phone regularly as well, if you like...

KLM
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I browsed a few minutes total using the native browser just to check out the feature on the LG 800G.
But otherwise, I don't browse. WiFi just too handy (and free) using other devices (iPad, iPod).
In fact, I moved the browser off the main screen to prevent accidentally activating it.

AKmaro1
Member Avatar

I'll chime in on this one. I only use the browsing feature on my LG 290c once in a Blue Moon, mostly to
check sports scores on a Saturday when I'm at work. But beyond that, I'll agree with Doctor M that with
the availability of Free Wi-Fi other devices works way better and cheaper.

I'm in the boat he mentioned, by virtue of when I'm out and about I'll use my iPod Touch to browse the web
or do the countless other things that are available with that. It really does make me yearn for an iPhone, but
there is no way I can justify the nearly $100 per month bill friends of mine have with their iPhones to do that.
Much less the cost of the phone up front...

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

As soon as I found Bolt and Opera Mini they've been on every phone I can put them on. I don't regularly 'browse'
but I do use it check weather maps/conditions, traffic conditions, sports scores, stock prices, flight info, and news
but that's mainly when I'm out of town for a few days. I also like pulling up twitter to see all the news threads I'm
subscribed to when I'm out of town. Occasionally, on trips I'll browse for local information (tourist info, restaurants, etc.).
I do use the browsers when storms knock out our power or our internet connection goes off (thank you CableOne :X ),
and it's good in case of emergencies as long as the towers are still working.

So, in general I don't really 'browse' I use it to seek out targeted information and I prefer the WAP sites because
they're so much easier to use on these phones. I've had internet access on my Tracfones since the W376G was
introduced and since 2002/3 on non-Tracfone phones. As for the native browsers, they suck but they're useable
if you don't have anything better like on most of the Tracfone CDMA phones. Just my opinions, no offense.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I almost never use the browser on my phones ... for me, it's kind of a waste of time and minutes, I feel.

* Whenever I get a new phone, I always try out the browser just to see what it's like and to see how fast it runs.

* So I usually waste about 10 minutes the first time trying it out, going to different Sites to see what's what.

* After that, I probably only use about 5 minutes a month on the browser, checking sports scores when I am from home.

* I'm not a browser junkie like some folks ... I can wait until I get home to use a real computer.

BobbyLee:

As soon as I found Bolt and Opera Mini, they've been on every phone I can put them on...
As for the native browsers, they suck but they're useable if you don't have anything better like on
most of the Tracfone CDMA phones... Just my opinions, no offense.
* Bolt, Opera Mini / Native browsers ... they all suck ... it's like the pot calling the kettle black. (lol) ;)

Turk Browser B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

I figured more would chime in, but that's okay.

It looks like BobbyLee might take the crown in browser usage on a Tracfone/Net10 phone.

I'd come in dead last as my Tracfone has no browser at all.

The first time I really sat down with a browser capable Trac and figured out Opera Mini, etc.
I went through 150 minutes real quick and for all that, I felt I went no where, it was all tests!

The only thing I really wanted was an animated weather radar map. I believe I would have used that frequent enough
when I'm out and about. But all that ended in failure - twice... One the build in browser will play animated .GIF's, but
won't over 300K (the animation only is over 300k, not counting the web site) and the animation was greater than that.
Two with Opera installed, it strips out the first frame of animation and feeds that to my phone, so all I have a 'still image'
a couple hours old.

KLM
Posted Image

mharris127

I haven't used my Net10 phone's web browser in years. Of course I have a BlackBerry that I take on longer trips
and surf on that occasionally using Opera (and have e-mails sent to it), much better browsing on that than on a
Samsung folding phone about the size of a mini candy bar that people pass out on Halloween.

It is nice to have a phone that can be placed in my back pocket when I am home alone or outside without having
something the size of a deck of playing cards in my pocket, that (and knowing that two phones on different networks
increases the chance that one will work if I break down or start having a heart attack on the road) is why I keep
multiple phones.

JimmyJames

I use my browser maybe once a month or no more than 5 minutes at a time.
I very seldom do anything with it other than check the weather or locate something on Google Maps.

KLM
Member Avatar

Welcome aboard JimmyJames!
I'd say you are a power user then if you use your dumbphone for Google Maps now an again.
Glad you found a use for the browser ability.

I know what you mean mharris127. I was out in the field and happened to have 2 phones with me.
I ended up not having AT&T coverage to my surprise, but then quickly realized I had my smart phone
in my 'bomb making tools' bag... It's on Sprint and it worked.

Everyone needs to carry a sack of phones so you are 'covered'. :)

millept

I absolutely do not browse with Trac/Net10 phones because it eats up too much airtime. I have a PlatinumTel
LG Lotus (that I won in a contest!) which I use if I need to browse when I'm away from wifi. I only have to add
$10 every 89 days to keep it active, and the data costs are tiny. e.g. Looking up a movie showtime usually costs
less than 5 cents. With Trac/Net10, it would eat up ten times that much. For me, Trac/Net10 are for talking and
light texting.

Masked Superstar
Member Avatar
Masked Member
When my wife and I got our LG 290C Tracfones last year, they were the first Tracfones we had with a web browser.

So of course we were excited, and played around with the browser way too much and killed off a lot of minutes fast!
But after awhile the browser got boring for me, so I eventually stopped using it, and hardly use it anymore, if at all.

My wife continued to use it longer than I did, but she to got it out of her system, and seems to have stopped using it also.
So at first, we used it plenty, but over the last 6 months I probably only use about 5-10 minutes a month on it, at the most.

Syrinx7

First time poster here. I have not used the browser on my Tracfone, and don't really plan to. If I'm out, and have my
Ipod Touch with me, I'll use that for browsing, if I'm near a wifi hotspot that is. I bought the phone strictly to use as a
phone, and so far I am more than satisfied with it's performance in that area. With it's small screen, and based on my
prior unsatisfactory experience using non-smart phone browsers, it's just not practical for me to try to use that feature.

KLM
Member Avatar

Syrinx7 - Welcome to the Turk Forums!

- Sounds like you have your connectivity all planned out. :)

KLM

Syrinx7

Thanks KLM! :)

And yes I do ........ I think. ;)

25jive1

At .5 of a unit per minute Trac web browsing has to be one of the most expensive on the market.
At a CPM of 10 cents, it costs $3.00 per hour. It's unsettling to watch those units tick off as I wait for a page to load.
I dislike the small screen and the resulting excessive scrolling and signing in to a website is troublesome.

I'm not saying I've never used it or won't use it again but if my laptop and a wifi connection are available I'll use
that every time.

KLM
Member Avatar

Exactly. So, I've been trying to figure out why folks were going nuts over trying to get the stock Tracfone/Net10 web
browser replaced with another, and then the struggle to figure out how to get a signed version to avoid the nag...
All that for...what?

If internet access is a must, other paygo options with better phones are looking better all the time.

But for those that just talk a little and text, Tracfone is great.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

bgittar
Member Avatar

So, how do I remove the "Browser" from my main screen on an LG 900g?

KLM
Member Avatar

Hello bgittar and Welcome to Turk forums!

Unfortunately you cannot remove, disable, or reassign the browser key to some other function. Other Trac/Net10
phones seem to have the 'browser button' strategically placed so you will accidentally hit it and use up minutes...
It's a top complaint.

mharris127

KLM
September 21, 2011, 8:34 pm
Welcome aboard JimmyJames!

I know what you mean mharris127. I was out in the field and happened to have 2 phones with me.
I ended up not having AT&T coverage to my surprise, but then quickly realized I had my smart phone
in my 'bomb making tools' bag... It's on Sprint and it worked.
That is the same combination I use, a Net10 AT&T based phone and a BB on PlatinumTel (Sprint).

Tarkio101

I browse quite a bit, and I find the rates to browse pretty good. I had an unlimited plan with an Android phone
before, but still don't mind the rates on Tracfone. Consider an unlimited data plan (which is usually required)
is $30. At Tracfones best rate per minute, that equals about an hour of browsing a day, every day, on Tracfone.

I don't do near that much, and a lot of days none, so it works out really well for me. I went with the unlimited for
2 years because they told me I needed it, and it seemed like a good deal because I felt like I browsed enough
to justify it. Only now do I realize how much more affordable the data rates are on Tracfone. I do miss streaming
video once in a great while though... Thanks for reading.

tfuser19

Tarkio101,

Since you browse quite a bit, what which mobile browser(s) do you prefer to use?

Tarkio101

I use mostly Opera Mini, 6.something--6.5 I think. I really like it. It compresses the data into very small amounts so
it works much faster on a 2g network with a simpler phone. This is done on their end, so it doesn't even try to send
huge amounts of data to the phone, which would just bog it down and make it slow. The main reason I like it is be-
cause I can set it to open in Landscape mode, which is more comfortable and natural for me and always brings up
the Landscape keyboard to type, ie a google search. I'm using the LG 800g btw.

Things I like about Opera Mini:

1. The homepage is beautiful, very well laid out and easy to use.
2. The Google search button is always visible on the home page--don't have to open the browser,
then use bookmarks to go search for the search bar.
3. The "options" icon is always visible, easy to find, use, and make the system work for you.
4. News, weather, sports etc buttons are made into the homepage.

With that said, while I do prefer Opera, the browser built into the phone and the options it gives just on the main
browser page are actually pretty good. I still use it sometimes for something quick ... But the main reason I like
Opera is for the Landscape mode on the touchscreen. Hope this helps.

KLM
Member Avatar

Tarkio101

Consider an unlimited data plan (which is usually required)is $30.
At Tracfones best rate per minute, that equals about an hour of browsing a day, every day, on Tracfone.
Hello Tarkio101! I'm trying to figure out what actually Tracfones best rate per minute is to obtain 30 hours
(or 1800 minutes) a month for $30, but have not been able to formulate it yet.

Help me out here.....I'm thinking:

- Buy a 120 minute card for $29.99.

- If I had a triple minute for life phone I'm now up to 360 minutes.

- Will forgo any minute adding promo codes as the amount of minutes vary, but none will add almost 500
minutes to a 120 minute card. (need 900 minutes to get 1800 minutes worth of data... one minute of data
only deducts .5 units of air time, or you simply you get twice a much data time than you do phone call time)

- So, if I put all my 360 minutes of air time to internet use, and not factoring that .5 unit deduction for
'connect fee'. I will have 720 minutes to burn for internet use on a Tracfone.

- In this scenario, I don't come close to 1800 minutes that I would need, if I used a Tracfone for browsing
1 hour, every day for a month, all for $30 a month. I come up with about 24 minutes a day, which for some
users could be plenty, being the internet usage is limited (no turn by turn google maps, push mail, etc.) with
Tracfone.

So, does Tracfone have a better plan than I am aware of that will net you an hour a day of internet use for
$30 a month?

Tarkio101

Good questions. Here's how I figured it...

I have Tracfones largest card, which is 4500 minutes of talk for a year for $199.
That works out to .044 cents per minute, or .022 per minute of browsing.
60 minutes times .022 is $1.32 per hour of surfing.
$200 per year would also give you 375 minutes per month of talk, for $16.66 per month with
no surfing or texting, but as you know, it goes further at a .5 or .3 rate.

The reason I said it's equal to the $30 a month plan (in my situation anyway) is that there are days I don't go
online at all, and other days where I use it very little. Other days I use it a lot tho. If I used it an average of an
hour a day while on an unlimited plan with another carrier, that would be a buck a day ... If I used that exact
amount on here, it would be 1.32, but knowing that I don't won't use it that much it's roughly an equal RATE
to me.
To get the same data I would use on a 30 dollar plan costs me less this way. If I did use a full hour every single
day, it would actually work out to 30 something, closer to 40. I used an hour as a static baseline for comparison.
But I never pay 30 bucks a month to end up using none of it. With att gophone and some others, without a data
plan which you pay up front, you cannot get anything close to the equivalent of .022 cents per minute.
Sometimes you pay like 10 times that much if you just use it here and there.

I say an equal rate, because to the receive the .022 data rate, I am not actually committing myself to use any of it.
To get a COMPARABLE rate for an unlimited plan, I am committed to the full 30 bucks every month whether I use
any or not. With different carriers, they often have plans that give you 200MB for $15 or whatever, but I know this is
better because I can get way more data for $15 this way than 200MB. You can get better data rates for heavy users,
but for the amount I use, I can't find a way to get it cheaper WITHOUT paying every month, whether I use it or not.

I know its hard to compare time in minutes and data in bytes, but I used this:
http://gigaom.com/broadband/data-hungry-mobile-apps-eating-into-bandwidth-use/

and this:
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-13/tech/mobile.data_1_wireless-data-data-plans-smartphone?_s=PM:TECH
to guestimate who much data I am using.

I hope this jumble of thoughts hasn't thoroughly confused you, and I hope my internal logic didn't make it sound
like something it wasn't... If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Tarkio101

Another note, some might ask why I don't got with one of the unlimited plans from Straight Talk for 45, or Net10 for
50 dollars if I use the phone to browse so much. I have considered it. Here's why I don't.

It commits me to spend that much every month, no matter how much I use.
If I want to switch plans on Straight Talk the only option besides unlimited is the $30 plan, which is fine on minutes,
but not good for me on data... The main reason I would want that plan is to have one of the nicer phones, like the
Nokia E71, which is a really high quality phone. But they don't let you switch to a $30 plan if you have one.
My thing is, even if I had an unlimited plan, I wouldn't browse more than I do now.

On Net10, there is the $25 plan for 750 minutes. That's .033 cents per minute, but it's a use it or lose plan. No rollover.
And that is more for data than I pay now... And the best rate you can get is .06 cents per minute on a per minute basis
without a monthly plan. Texts are also at a rate of .033, which is more than one third of minute costing .044. Its not bad,
but not as good as I have now.

My main point is this-- A lot of people associate Tracfone with bare minimum usage. And it can seem like it would be
a horrible deal for anyone using much data etc... But it's not necessarily the case if you look closely, know you're own
usage patterns, make sure you are getting the minutes you need the cheapest way you can (they have two online only
deals for airtime btw) you can do pretty well with them.

KLM
Member Avatar

Hello again Tarkio101 and thanks for the detailed, show-your-work, type explanation. In my opinion, those are
the best kind as there are many other readers out there and will be in the future that benefit.

Nope, not confusing and that pretty much sums it up. on how you came up with about an hour a day data usage
for $30/month as mentioned in post #20... MY thinking was too narrow, focusing on the cards a typical Tracfone
user would purchase, like the $30/120 minute card for my calculations. I did not factor in the possibility that one
had to come up with a larger sum of cash first ($199/4500 minute offering).

It's good that you were able to spotlight one of the higher airtime offerings, as they don't get talked about much.

With 4500 minutes, folks might not get as upset when they accidentally hit the browser button several times a day. :D

Tarkio101

There is also a 1000 (or 3000 if you are Tripled) at $159. It doesn't work out to all that much more per minute, and
might be an easier pill to swallow. I see it is a once a year kind of bill, and then just try not to go too far over board
during the year, just to keep myself on budget. I figured that I am getting all the data I need, and all that I would use
if I paid for an unlimited plan that costs 50 bucks. And for 200 I am getting an entire year.

And if you do buy a 120 minute card, Tripled to 360 for 30 dollars and use it for 2 months, that's 15 per month.
For $16.66 ($200 over 12 months)you could get 375 minutes each month instead of 180... For $13.33 (on the
$160 card over 12 months) you could have 250 minutes per month. Just depends on what a persons needs are,
but I always try to find a way to get the lowest cost per minute, regardless of how many minutes I am using.

Tarkio101

I was reading about Opera 6.5 and saw something encouraging. On the Java Platform (J2ME) like the LG
800g uses, we received the new Opera browser the same time as the iphone, android, and blackberry. Its
just nice that one of most popular mobile browsers across all platforms is taking care of everyone, and not
just the super expensive phone users... Just an observation.

tfuser19

Tarkio101
December 22, 2011, 7:43 pm
I was reading about Opera 6.5 and saw something encouraging. On the Java Platform (J2ME) like the LG
800g uses, we received the new Opera browser the same time as the iphone, android, and blackberry. Its
just nice that one of most popular mobile browsers across all platforms is taking care of everyone, and not
just the super expensive phone users... Just an observation.
Do people with those high end phones use Opera Mobile more vs us having to use Opera Mini?

Here's an Opera page with some good reading for anyone who has not seen in before: http://www.opera.com/mobile/specs/

Tarkio101

Tarkio101
December 18, 2011, 2:06 am
There is also a 1000 (or 3000 if you are Tripled) at $159. It doesn't work out to all that much more per minute, and
might be an easier pill to swallow. I see it is a once a year kind of bill, and then just try not to go too far over board
during the year, just to keep myself on budget. I figured that I am getting all the data I need, and all that I would use
if I paid for an unlimited plan that costs 50 bucks. And for 200 I am getting an entire year.

And if you do buy a 120 minute card, Tripled to 360 for 30 dollars and use it for 2 months, that's 15 per month.
For $16.66 ($200 over 12 months)you could get 375 minutes each month instead of 180... For $13.33 (on the
$160 card over 12 months) you could have 250 minutes per month. Just depends on what a persons needs are,
but I always try to find a way to get the lowest cost per minute, regardless of how many minutes I am using.
This is a follow up to previous discussion about rates....this may not be the best place to post it, but it's following
along a previous line of discussion here.

I was talking about the 1500 minute card for $200, with triple minutes and about how it gets you the best rates.
Problem is, that it does require that up front investment. Works out to about 375 minutes a month for just under
$17... Can be good for people who use a few more minutes than others, or use a lot at certain times, and very
few at other times, since it's one year card and you won't have to watch for minutes expiring.

A more palatable way to get almost as much for the money is the 125 minute card on autopay. Tripled, it gives you
375 for 19.99. This is not the regular card, but if you set up on autopay, which can be cancelled anytime. Again, it's
not quite as good, but still a pretty good rate for a very low up front cost. The minutes do roll over if unused.

pjonthemount

I almost never use the browser on my LG 800G.
Limited sites... they are the 'mobile' version of the websites.
The screen is way too small to see anything without zooming in. Just a waste of minutes.
About the only time I would use it is to find directions if I'm away from home.

jima

Tarkio101
January 9, 2012, 5:29 am
A more palatable way to get almost as much for the money is the 125 minute card on autopay. Tripled, it gives you
375 for 19.99. This is not the regular card, but if you set up on autopay, which can be cancelled anytime. Again, it's
not quite as good, but still a pretty good rate for a very low up front cost. The minutes do roll over if unused.
I am new to Tracfone - could someone give more specifics on how this would work?

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

jima,
You sign into your Tracfone account and sign up for one of the value plans:
(https://www.tracfone.com/direct/ValuePlans?app=TRACFONE&lang=en) and give them your credit card.
Once a month they push the minutes and 30 more days to your phone... You can cancel it at anytime, my
wife and I used it until we built up a lot of minutes. Check out the link, it's pretty clear. Triple minute phones
get triple the minutes you signup for and double phones get double.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Topics Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.