Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 501c Phone Topic
Topic Started: April 30, 2011, 8:51 pm (6,220 Views)
BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Another new phone showed up on the activation page... The LG 501C appeared on the activation page but didn't
show up when I tried to purchase it. Looks like the CDMA version of the LG 500G. I did use a CDMA area zip code
so I guess they aren't selling it yet.

Maybe someone could post the image from the activation page since I wasn't sure how to include a picture in my
post. From what I saw in the manual, there are no apps and no video.

Link for the tutorial: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/straighttalk/home.seam?

Link for the manual: http://img.deviceanywhere.com/tracfonev1/722/docs/manual.pdf

If anyone gets this phone, feel free to post all info, thoughts or questions here you may have - thanks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KLM
Member Avatar

Good Hunting BobbyLee!

If you get a moment, what was the CDMA zip you used, for those interested?

That's interesting the same phone is on both GSM and CDMA flavors. Going to make some more folks happy.

I just hope it is a solid phone.

KLM

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

KLM,

OK, for those interested, I used 85541 (Payson, AZ) which is primarily a CDMA area. I'd rather see Tracfone
offer a CDMA version of the LG 800G or LG 900G since both of those have video and a 2.0 megapixel camera.

Just my opinion based on what I want in a phone.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* BobbyLee .... thanks for starting up this New Topic on this new Tracfone ... you beat me to it. (lol)

* The LG 501c has been appearing on both Tracfone & Net10's websites for about a week now, but not for sale yet.

* I remember we talked a little about this phone somewhere else in the forums awhile back, but I can't find it.

* I think it's also on Straight Talk's website under their phone info, and I think it only has a 0.3 VGA camera!?

* And I don't know if it'll have an MP3 player or not, or any of the other good stuff like the LG 500g? :ermm:

* Why does something tell me that this phone is going to be just a basic phone with a qwerty keypad .. :-/

T\U\R\K B-)

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
By the looks of things, the LG 501C is now available from Net10's site for $40.

http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/net10/

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Boy, that's a big let down. It sounds like a stripped down version of the LG 500G.

It doesn't even have the 1.3 MP camera like the 500G from what the description says, only a VGA camera.

I was waiting for this one but now I'm extremely disappointed. $40 for this, hah hah.

I'll keep my LG 231C as my CDMA phone until they offer something better than the 501C.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper ... thanks for the information ... $40 seems kind of high for this phone ... lets make this the Official Topic.

* BobbyLee .... I agree 100% with your post above ... I have said the same thing in another topic on here last month.

* I said that this phone didn't seem like it was going to have a good camera, video, or an MP3 player (sd card insert)?

* I also said that this probably was going to be a basic CDMA phone with a Qwerty keypad, that's it ... and I was right.

* Most know I prefer CDMA over GSM, so for me this phone is disappointing, and has more negatives than positives.

* Come on Tracfone Inc.!!! ... quit cheating the CDMA people!!! .. :ermm: ^o)

* If anyone gets this phone or has anymore info, thoughts, or questions on it, feel free to post it all here - thanks.

NETurk B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk,

Yep, you were right, I remember you writing that but at the time I hoped you were wrong.

Should have known better than to doubt you. :X So what are your predictions on the EX124g?

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Hold up, folks. I do not have it, but here is a link to the details of the phone. Looks like it will retail for $40, but there
is no mention of DMFL, but I would guess that it will be included. Could not add it to my cart, but it appears to be a
step closer to being available. You might need to click the link a couple of times to get it to work, though.

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/PhoneDetails.do?action=view&productVariantExtensionId=10835272

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

VGA camera, no voice dialing, smaller keyboard than my LG 900G, $40, no thank you.
But maybe for the wife (really small/thin fingers).

Like Turk said in the Net10 thread, it's an expensive stripped down version of the LG 500G.

I'll stay with my LG 231C for my CDMA phone until something better is offered.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper .... thanks for the heads up ... I knew it would be soon, since the Net10 version is out.

* Also, we had a Topic on this phone already, so I just combined them together, hope you don't mind.

* Ok, this phone isn't that bad, but it isn't worth $40, unless it comes with a Free Accessory Kit or something.

* It'll start at $40 and eventually work its way down to $30, then $20 .... but hey, why not start high, I would! (lol)

* All it really has going for it is the Qwerty keypad ... and I bet it'll sell a lot to because of that...
- why couldn't it of been just like the LG 500g? ... why is Tracfone pulling these stunts?! :ermm:

* Maybe after Sweeper gets a hold of one, maybe he'll find out something good that we don't know about?

* I am really hoping for a nice CDMA Tracfone to come out this year, for I am hoping to go back to Tracfone.

TURKc B-)

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
$40 on Tracfone.com and comes with DMFL.

Posted Image

KLM
Member Avatar

Thank you Sweeper. That should please the CDMA must-have folks. But bummer it is not Triple minutes for life. :D

Maybe HSN.com with run a TMFL special on them as well.

I wonder if Turk will buy one if a TMFL one comes out, being it's a CDMA model. ;)

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
TMFL = Turk Minutes For Life?

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper .... thanks for the info about this phone finally appearing on Tracfone.com ... still not worth $40 I say.
* Also, your pictures on the forums have vanished once again, is something wrong with your photobucket or computer? :blink:

* KLM .... I'd be surprised if this phone showed up on HSN.com with TMFL ... if it did, I still wouldn't buy it.
* Yes, I like CDMA phones, but I'd be going backwards if I bought this phone ... it has nothing, unlike the LG 500g.

* I'm sure some of my relatives would like this kind of phone, but for me it lacks all the better things I want in a phone.
* The only way I would consider this phone would be is if I lost my Samsung r355c - and it was around $20. (lol)
* Actually, if I did lose my Net10 phone, I'd buy the LG 500g for $20 (on sale) before I'd buy the LG 501c for $40.

* It seems like Tracfone doesn't really care much about their CDMA phones, and pushes GSM so much more.
* Verizon must charge them too much for the service, so they just put out anything just to have CDMA phones.
* And AT&T probably does give them the better deal, so they concentrate more on making better GSM phones.
* This is what I have come to conclude in life .... I wouldn't doubt one day if Trac/Net10 would be all GSM based.

* I haven't said this yet so I better now - I think it's great Tracfone has come out with Qwerty & Touch screen phones.
* I didn't think touch screen phones would come out this fast ... I thought maybe next year is when they'd arrive?
* I thought qwerty phones for this year, and maybe touch screens next year, but was happy to see both this year!
* If Tracfone doesn't come out with a really nice CDMA phone by the end of this year, I don't know what I will do. :ermm:

TMFL = Turk Minutes For Life B-)

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
And this week you can get the new LG 501C on sale for $20 at Dollar General stores.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper ... ya, I saw that as well in the DG weekly sales Ad - (it's on sale along with the LG 500g for $20 also folks).

* I went to a few of my local DG stores today just to see if any were in stock ... but they were not, as expected. :ermm:

* $20 for this phone isn't bad, if you can find one - how can you really complain about a $20 phone, I always say.

* I guess that would probably make this phone normally $30 then at DG stores and other stores, I would guess?

* I'll be out and about this week, so I'll keep my professionally trained eyes opened for any clues. (lol) ;)

Turk - Super Spy B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk,

Remember this, if you find a Walmart with one of the phones on sale elsewhere as long as you have the paper Ad to
show them Walmart will match the price. I plan to go to Walmart and do this for the LG500G tomorrow, I need another
phone to play with... I figured out my LG 420G, so it is time to move on.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
The new LG 501C now shows up on Radio Shack's site as well.

You can purchase it on line, or you can search for a store near you that has it.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* BobbyLee .... ya, I know about the price matching stuff ... I do it all the time at Walmarts .. ;)

* I went to my DG stores to see if any were out for sale so I could take a picture, I wasn't planning on buying one.

* All my DG stores didn't have any out ... they didn't even have them delivered yet? :huh:

* This isn't the first time DG stores had New Phones on sale and didn't even get them in?! (lol)

* Ps: .. thanks Sweeper for that bit of info, gonna have to visit some Radio Shacks soon. (Shack Attack!)

B-) Turk - the Living Legend.

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Found at a K-Mart in Claremont, NH. Price matched the Dollar General ad as well. Notice the price.
Radio Shack in the same plaza also had the phone in stock.

Posted Image

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Also found at a K-Mart in Claremont, NH.

Posted Image

KLM
Member Avatar

^ ^ Welp Turk, there is a CDMA phone on Tracfone with a QWERTY. Everything you wished for correct?

Are you going to switch out phones so soon?

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper .... thanks man for the picture and update on this phone, glad to see it finally showed up in stores.

* $40, or even $30, is still too much for this phone ... but for $20 like you got (on sale) isn't bad at all I guess.

* If you decide to open it up, feel free to give us your thoughts, opinions, or review about it, ok? ... thanks .. ;)
------------------------

* KLM .... I said in my previous posts above that I wasn't really interested in this phone, no matter how cheap it got.

* Only because it would be a step backwards for me to go to this phone after I've had the Net10 Samsung r355c.

* I think I'll wait til the end of the year to see what Tracfone puts out first with newer phones before I make my decision.

* What I would really like is for Tracfone to put out a CDMA version of the LG 900g, just like BobbyLee has said once.

* If nothing great comes out by the end of the year, I might just re-buy my Samsung r355c special again off ebay for $50.

B-) Turk is "Custom made from head to toe" .... Woooooooooo!

The Sweeper
Bad To The Bone.
Decided to crack it open to see what it can't do (you read that right).
Porting the number from the LG 800G so it may take a couple of days to get it up and running.

Posted Image

Notice the camera button to the left of the "D" pad. Only thing on the side is the volume rocker, on the right, and the
charging port on the left .... I am unable to transfer pics to or from the LG 501C with Bluetooth, but I actually figured
that they would cripple it... See, I told you I activated it to see what it won't do.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Sweeper .... thanks man for opening this phone up and activating it ... hope it's worth it. :unsure:

* You'll probably save yourself some time by telling us what it does have instead of what it doesn't have. (lol)

* Ok, it's not that bad, like I said, if you can get it for $20 or less ... but this phone could of been better I feel.

* After you activate it, let us know what's what ... here are some questions maybe you can answer in the meantime:

> Bluetooth - I guess it's just for an ear piece?
> Does it have Games - if so, how many and what are they? (can you download more games somehow?)
> Can you download your own MP3 songs (using minutes) just like the LG 290c?
> What phone do you feel is better made in your opinion - LG 501c or LG 500g?

* And anything else you can come up with as well .... chop chop, Sweeper ... you're on the clock. (lol) ;)

* Ps: .. It looks like we are back to only getting 1-2 CDMA phones a year again from Tracfone (which stinks!).
- where as they put out 4-5 GSM phones a year ... do we have to wait another 6 months for a CDMA phone!? :ermm:

The Turkster B-)

Blacknyt41

Hi folks! .. I'm new to the forum ... I just picked up the new Net10 LG 501c and I can't get the internet browser to run!
I was on the phone with a tech for 2 hours and she could not help me! I can't send pictures through the text feature!
Which I should be able to do! And it says "ROAM" on the main screen .. And I only get 1 or 2 bars!.. Poor service!
And this keeps popping up "check data restrictions 36" when I try the browser! .. Can somebody please Help me.

Thanks ...... Jim

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Blacknyt41 ... most of the time, if not all of the time, when you're in Roam mode you can't use the Browser or send Pictures.

* My Aunt, who has a Tracfone LG 290c, lives in another State from me, when she is at her home, her phone works fine.
- but when she is in my area, her phone is in Roaming mode and the Browser and Picture sending doesn't work.
- it say "restriction 36" also, I think.

* Here are some questions maybe you can answer to maybe help out with your phone problems.

> When you first activated your LG 501c, was it in Roam mode or not?

> If not, are you somewhere far away from your home to have your phone in Roam mode?

> If you are far from home and in Roam mode, wait til you get back home to see if your phone goes back to normal.

> If you are at home, and you are still in Roam mode, then you have to get Customer Service to change it.

* It won't work properly until your phone is back in Home mode (normal mode).

* If they can't get this resolved, maybe return the phone and get a new one and start over? (just a suggestion)

* Let us know what's what, and keep us up to date ... hope I was able to help a little ... anyone else can chime in. ;)

Turk CS B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Blacknyt41,

Don't know if this will help anything but it can't hurt ... Dial *22891 and hit send to update the PRL on whatever phone
you're having issues with. Worst case is it doesn't improve anything but at least it will make sure your PRL is the latest
and greatest. If the PRL is already up to date on your phone it will just put a new copy of it on your phone, no harm is
done. It's the first thing I do when I get to new locations especially if I see ROAM displayed on my phone.

Side note: The PRL is the Preferred Roaming List which is stored on your phone. It changes overtime and you'll roam
less if it is kept up to date... For newbies reading this, these instructions are for the CDMA phones not GSM phones.
Hope that helps.

Side note: Verizon phone users are told to dial *228 hit SEND, listen to the recording and then have hit 2 (it's either 1
or 2) to get the PRL update. For Tracfone/Net10 users, we just dial *22891 and it does it all. As far as I've tested there
doesn't seem to be any difference whichever way you do it. It usually helps my roaming issues except in Laughlin, NV
where you are forced to ROAM on the Mohave network, Verizon coverage stinks there.

Turk ... Just wondering, do ever update the PRL on your 355C?

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Blacknyt41 .... ya, I forgot all about the PRL thingie ... maybe you can give that a try and see if it helps?

* Man, that is the second time in the last year I forgot to mention *22891 to someone on here with a phone problem.

* CDMA phones use to receive text messages once in awhile telling you to do this, but I haven't gotten one in like 2 years?

* BobbyLee ... thanks for bringing this up ... and yes, I did update my PRL about a month after I activated my phone. ;)

TRL = Turk's Roaming List B-)

Blacknyt41

Thanks alot Turk and Bobbylee :)

Well It turns out I have another problem! ... I booted up the phone today and the screen is all distorted!
I can't make out anything on it, I don''t have any Idea how that happened? - Now I can't try any of your suggestions!
Net10 did call me back while I was at work, In response from the 2 hour help me session!
I guess I'm going to try to return it! .. I'll post back .. and thanks again for all your help and a quik response. :)

acove

Got tired of looking for a review for the LG 501C - so I am creating my own site.

Here's the review: LG 501C review

KLM
Member Avatar

...I think everyone was waiting for a 'writer' to compose a review for this model. :)

Good job!

When the LG 500g/501c and 800g models came out at the same time, it seems the 800 overshadowed the 500/501c.
I had thought we'd hear more of the 500g now that the 800's have been pulled from market.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* acove .... hi, and welcome to the Forums.

* Thanks for your review of this phone ... you're right, there aren't many reviews at all of this phone, anywhere.

* Ya, the LG 800g & Moto124g did overshadow the LG 500g/501c, I was hoping for more posts on the 500g & 501c?

* Anyway, I enjoyed reading your review, and feel free to post more thoughts and info about the phone if you like .. ;)

Turk B-)

acove

Glad you enjoyed my review.

I am planning on a full review of the LG 900G also .... Spoiler: it won't be a glowing review.

One thing I noticed today about the LG 501C is that even though the keyboard is small, it's actually very easy to
text with one hand... I was trying to be discreet at a work meeting and I was pleasantly surprised.

Snoozer

How can I get one of these from any Dollar General?... I have been around a bunch of stores
here in Mississippi and I don't think Tracfone is stocking them at all. There are no signs of the
phone type being labeled on a hanger anywhere.

This makes the second time for the price at $20.00 and this comes a long while after they did
the first time. Does anyone know where it is at because it's worth $20.00 but no more. Hardly
a camera there, if you know what I mean...

Does it really cost more for a CDMA phone to be made than a GSM?

One2gofst

Probably doesn't cost more to make the phone, but the service costs TF more. They still make money with it,
which is why they offer it... But if you have GSM service, they want you to go with that, so they incentivize the
price and features of the GSM model.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

awweeks,

Do you have any Walmarts around you that have that phone in stock?
You can take the ad to Walmart and they'll price match it, that's what I had to do to get my LG 500G for $19.99.
Dollar General in my area never has the advertised phones available.

Snoozer

BobbyLee
August 3, 2011, 1:58 pm
awweeks,
Do you have any Walmarts around you that have that phone in stock?
You can take the ad to Walmart and they'll price match it, that's what I had to do to get my LG 500G for $19.99.
Dollar General in my area never has the advertised phones available.
I don't believe Walmart carries the LG 501C do they? ... Thanks.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

awweeks,

I didn't see it on their web site, so maybe it isn't available through Walmart.
Sweeper in Post #17 of this thread said he got it price matched at his Kmart.
If you have any Kmarts around you that sell the CDMA phones, give them a shot?
Our Kmart only sells the GSM phones... Good luck.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I have so many Walmarts, Dollar Generals, other Stores and Malls within a 25 mile radius of me that it isn't even funny.

* But can you believe that of all those millions of stores around me, no one carries any CDMA Tracfones anymore!?

* My one last hope was my closest Walmart which was a CDMA store, but switched over to GSM a month ago. (gee wiz!)

* Seems like the only way I'll see any CDMA Tracfones anymore in person is if one gets shipped by accident to one of these stores. (lol)

* Then people wonder why I dislike GSM ... because they are trying to shove it down my throat! ... long live CDMA! ;)

TcUdRmKa B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Nice fact about the LG 501C, it comes with Java not the dreaded Brew OS.

I installed Bolt, Opera Mini, and the GMail app and they all work fine.

I might replace my LG 231C with it!

Snoozer

Has anyone found this phone at their Dollar General store yet?

I emailed corporate and they didn't respond to me.

If you have found or bought one let me know what city and state carries it... Thanks.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

awweeks,
If you find it in a store near you that does price matching like some Walmarts, Kmarts, etc.. take the Ad to them.
I got my LG 500G that way at Walmart, I got them to price match the $19.99 DG ad.

Others have said Kmart will too... I've never actually seen a 500G or 501C at any of my DGs.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Ok, I have a bunch of stuff I want to say and ask about this phone, so here goes, maybe someone can help me. :$

* Other than Tracfone.com - Dollar General's website sells it along with other Tracfones and Net10 phones.
* Also, Ebay seller shopcelldeals is now selling it with different type of airtime deals attached to it (some with TMFL).
---------------------------

* I have some questions about this phone - some of my relatives may want one - so I'm trying to find out more on it.
* So, if anyone out there has this phone, maybe you can answer some of my questions about it ... thanks.

> How's the built quality of the phone - good/solid or cheap and flimsy?
> How's the listening volume - is it too low to hear, or too loud?
> How's the voice quality and speaker phone quality while talking to someone?

> Does anyone know what the screen resolution is? - how's the resolution quality? - what's the screen size?
> How's the keypad, is it cheaply made, or decent to type on?
> What's the internal memory of MB?

> Bluetooth - what is all you can do with it? - how crippled is it?
> Can you send MP3 songs/pictures via email attachment? (was able to with the LG 290c)
> It has Java? - can you download free games from websites like umnet, getjar, etc?
> It has a 0.3mp camera (VGA) - are pictures decent for a VGA camera to just send from phone to phone?

> Is this phone with DMFL worth around $23? (ebay special)
> Is this phone worth $100 with TMFL + 1200 minutes + 1 year of service? (ebay special)

-----------------------------

* Ok, here is my own personal dilemma if anyone cares to hear it ... try and follow along. (lol)

* I have 21 minutes and 4 months of service left on my LG 900g ... 21 minutes will last me to the end of February.
* I have a buyer for my LG 900g, who I want to give to at the end of February, before he changes his mind. (lol)

* I was maybe gonna buy a ($20) 200 minute card and add it and transfer back to my old Turkberry (r355c). :)
* This would give me 200 minutes and 5 months of service on it - I use about 50 minutes a month on average.

* I would be able to use the 200 minutes up, along with the service days, and everything ends about the same time.
* I thought I'd use these next few months to just sit and wait to see what comes out for Tracfone before I go back.

* Or, do I just dump those 4 months of service and go back to Tracfone now and use that $20 towards a Tracfone?
* If I go back to Tracfone now, I kind of wanted to buy a TMFL phone if possible...

* Is the Motorola ex124g (TMFL) really worth $80? -- (I was leaning towards this phone again)(had Net10 version)
* The LG 800g (TMFL) on sale for around $40? -- (it's ok, I am kind of 50/50 on this phone)
* The Samsung 404g (TMFL) for around $40-$60? -- (no, I don't really care for this phone anyway)
* The LG 501c (TMFL - 1 Year special for $100)? -- (not bad, but is the LG 501c worth that)

* Or, do you think I should just go back to my Samsung r355c for now and just sit and wait and see what happens?

* Something tells me to just go back to my Turkberry for now .... I don't know, what do anyone of you think?
* Even one of my brothers told me to go back to the r355c and don't throw away those 4 extra months of service.
* I have no problem going back to my Turkberry ... I kind of miss it, it's a great phone, wish Tracfone had it out.

* Ok, any input on the LG 501c questions - or any input to my phone dilemma is appreciated ... thanks. ;)

Turk B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

LG 501C INPUT

Turk,
I tried to answer your questions based on my approximately 2 months playing with it. I think if other folks had
liked it there would have been a lot more posts in this thread. I put one card on the phone, checked it out, and
then put is aside until it deactivated with 100 minutes left. Take the info for what it's worth.

> How's the built quality of the phone - good/solid or cheap and flimsy?
Good and solid, on par with the LG500G.

> How's the listening volume, is it too low to hear, or too loud?
It has pretty good volume but not loud enough if you are in a noisy environment (like a casino), and on speaker
phone it can go too loud in my opinion, gets distorted at high volume.

> How's the voice quality and speaker phone quality while talking to someone?
Voice quality sounds pretty compressed worse than my LG231C, I never used it on speaker phone to actually talk
to anyone when it was active I just listened to recorded messages on speaker, sorry.

> Does anyone know what the screen resolution is? - how's the resolution quality? - what's the screen size?
176X220 resolution (pretty sure but not positive), 1.375” W X 1.73” H, looks real good and sharp.

> How's the keypad, is it cheaply made, or decent to type on?
Good and solid, again on par with the LG500G.

> What's the internal memory of MB?
It’s all internal memory no external memory. Multimedia Memory has 75 MB. Reserved Memory has 700 messages,
1000 contacts, 300 calendar events, 100 notes, and 150 but no mem size displayed.

> Bluetooth - what is all you can do with it? - how crippled is it?
Supported profiles: Headset, Hands Free, Phonebook Access, and Object Push. NO FILE TRANSFER SUPPORTED.
Pretty crippled except to use for headset and hands free devices, for them it's OK.

> Can you send MP3 songs/pictures via email attachment? (was able to with the LG 290c)
Everything gets compressed via the MMS server, my 270K ringtones I sent to the phone are 32K on the phone,
sounds terrible. Had to download ringtones from TF to have some ringtones that didn't sound like crap.

> It has Java? - can you download free games from websites like umnet, getjar, etc?
Probably, I loaded Bolt, Opera Mini, and the GMail app via the internet because I couldn’t BT the files to this phone.
All of them worked fine when it was active.

> It has a 0.3mp camera (VGA) - are pictures decent for a VGA camera to just send from phone to phone?
Yes, from phone to phone but not if the recipient needs to zoom on them. Unuseable otherwise except for
emergencies, the only way to get the pictures off the phone is to MMS to an email address and the compression
via the MMS service (mypixmessages) makes them really crappy. You wouldn’t want to print any of them.

> Is this phone with DMFL worth around $23? (ebay special)
I couldn’t say, that’s your call.

> Is this phone worth $100 with TMFL + 1200 minutes + 1 year of service? (ebay special)
I couldn’t say, that’s your call.

As for your dilemma, the EX124G has some neat features but isn't worth it. I really like my LG 800G for my GSM
phone (I still carry the LG231C for my CDMA phone), really good voice quality and signal reception. Obviously a
lot of other folks like the LG 800G too from the number of posts in that thread and my wife loves hers after having
an LG420G for a year. I had the Samsung 401G, it was like carrying a brick so I avoided buying the 404G since it
was the same size. If you don't go with the LG 800G go back to your Turkberry... Just my two cents.

KLM
Member Avatar

LG 501c Input

To sum it up, I would recommend the 501c only if you just have to have Verizon as a carrier, and vow to only
talk and text. Forget the rest. (games, camera)... There is no MP3 player, and no micro SD card slot.

~Turk, I dunno about ebay specials. Will that come with warranty? 59801 zip code and $30 will. ;)
$100 TMFL + 1200 min. That's pretty sweet. You seem to hang onto a model for at least a year, and if you talk
about 1200 min. a year I think it would be fitting. Only thing that might drive you batty is the accidental browser
activation (right soft key will trip browser if on home screen).

It is java mobile, yes. You have the most powerful java mobile Tracfone/Net10 - the LG 900G. How much do
you apps you installed, music, and ring tones etc. If really not much, you might not miss it on the lacking 501c.
Though it's a bummer to know you are carrying a limited phone.

If, I were King Turk for a day, I'd go cruising with the Original Turkberry and see what's around the Tracfone corner.

The 501c feels nice in the hand and I like the looks. The casing is of the 'slippery type' The keyboard quality
is just like the LG 900G. Though the lettering on the keys are smaller compared to the 900, strangely I found
it easier to find the keys. i think it's the color scheme.

Call quality is typical LG. - Average -

.3MP camera. Like the other LG camera phones, pictures are heavily compressed so the colors are blotchy, etc.
Makes for a so-so photocopier as in copying a page from a book for some reason.

Yes the screen 'full canvas' is 176x220.

Bobby Lee Ring tones. That's terrible they are compressing the sound file too! Seems like TF went back to their
old ways on this one. Have to download tone$ from TF... Bet they like that.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Thanks Sweeper, BobbyLee and KLM for all your input and information you all posted so far on this phone.

* I think we covered this phone pretty well, I don't think there is anymore to be said, it's been reviewed greatly!

* All your information confirmed what I was thinking or wondering all along, I have nothing more to ask I guess.

* I think I'm just gonna go back to my Turkberry for the next 4 months and wait and see what Tracfone puts out.

* I started Net10 a year ago with the r355c - then went to the ex124g - then back to the r355c - then to the 900g.

* Now it's time to go full circle and finish up Net10 with the phone that started it all - the Famous Turkberry! (lol)

* I think the 501c will be good enough for my relatives who want a Verizon, qwerty phone, with a basic camera.

* For me, I think I would be kind of bored with it - especially after having experienced all the nicer phones out.

* My relatives don't need this phone just yet, they have time as well, just like I do, to see what else shows up first.

* I was just asking about it ahead of time, doing my homework -- plus, it's good we got more info posted on it.

* I guess that's about it for now ... so thanks again guys for all your help, I really appreciate it! .. ;)

Turkberry B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

KLM
February 21, 2012, 10:47 pm
Bobby Lee Ring tones. That's terrible they are compressing the sound file too! Seems like TF went back to their
old ways on this one. Have to download tone$ from TF... Bet they like that.
It also seemed to take forever for that mypixmessages.com MMS service they use to compress it into crap and
then forward it on to my LG 501C phone.

KLM
Member Avatar

Ugh! Add to the insult with slow-compressing MMS service!

Actually it was probably VZW archiving the MMS to sell it to some data mining outfit who will pay for that sort of stuff.

Turk, Glad you are there for your family to help 'um decide which future phone they might end up with. :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
KLM:

Turk, Glad you are there for your family to help 'um decide which future phone they might end up with. :)
* KLM .... I only take care of two older Aunts who deal with Tracfone anymore ... I use to help more relatives out,
* but some either moved on to other phone companies, or have finally figured out how to do things on their own.

* My two Aunts need Verizon as their service (and now want a qwerty phone, they finally figured out how to text!). (lol)
* They don't need anything fancy, but I think the LG 501c would suit them, especially if I can get TMFL with the phone.

* I contacted that ebay seller shopcelldeals and asked him if he would ever consider selling the LG 501c with TMFL
* just by itself without any airtime attached to it, just the phone itself? - he wrote me back and said he is considering it.

* Who knows, maybe if I could get this phone with TMFL for around $30 or less, I might just give it a try myself for awhile.
* All I really need in a phone is (CDMA), qwerty keyboard, a few games, able to put my ringtone/screen pictures on it,
* and a decent camera, even though this phone doesn't have one. I don't use apps, or even really need a MP3 player.

* The only real issue I would have with this phone is - "what would I call it?"
> The Turkberry III
> or, the Turkberry Mini

* LOL! .. ;)

The Turkster B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

... Or the Turkberry - (minus) being it's a bit more restricted than you'd like. :D

That was a great post Turk...
Looks like we all need to keep an eye on shopcelldeals to see if they are able to come through on this for us.

I think it would be a great phone for your Aunts, and if you could hook them up with a 501c they might give you
something better than fruitcakes when you visit them. :) Actually, I like fruit cake, so I would not complain.

I would suggest they acquire a case for it, as being the phone's a monolith, it's slippery.

Cases: http://fatorder.com/catalog/51

As for mighty Turk.. I dunno if this phone is totally for him based on what he needs in a phone and perhaps wait
for the the LG505c. From what material that's out there about the phone, It will have a micro-SD slot, and can do
file transfer by Bluetooth. Oh and has an MP3 player.

So does Turk like slider type phones too, or just Blackberry like slabs?

Update- I forgot to add that I just tried half a dozen java MP3 player apps on my 500, and none of them worked.
No surprises there... No Java permissions to read files... I did get one app (KD player) to at least come up, but
when it came to creating play lists I did not find a way to navigate my way to to a folder where I had music.
Soooo... I dunno how one would ever get MP3's to work on the 501.

KLM

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I was out and about over the weekend, and I went into a Walgreens store that was just built around here recently.
* I never been in a Walgreens before, passed by them, but never in one, so I decided to stop in and see the new store.
* I noticed they carry some Tracfones and Net10 phones ... and I saw this phone (display model) out on the shelf.
* The LG 501c we all been talking about - wow, what a coincidence! (lol) - unfortunately they didn't have any for sale.
* I had my Turkberry II (900g) on me, so I decided to take a picture of my big hand holding the display model...
* Hey Ladies, you know what they say about a guy with big hands? ;) .... Woooooooooo! (LOL)
* It's a nice looking phone ... and if I had to or wanted to, I wouldn't mind trying and using this phone for a little while.
--------------------------
* KLM .... thanks for all your updated info you posted above - this phone will be good enough for my Aunts, I think.
* Yes, I know all about the LG 505c ... I'm not a fan of slide out keyboards, but will maybe give that phone a chance.

Posted Image

Picture provided by Turk and his Turkberry II B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

Hmmm, I replied to your last post here Turk, but the post vanished....? That's getting old.

I said something about: hope the demo was not just to attract people and that they will actually carry the CDMA phone.

The other thing I was saying was: nice close-up to the keyboard there Turk...

Now, do I have to take a screen shot of the web page in case my post walks off again?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.