Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... What grade would you give Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk's customer service?
A
B
C
D
F
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 6 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) Motorola ex124g Phone Topic
Topic Started: February 16, 2011, 9:44 am (19,573 Views)
rich in STL

I don't text, no one texts me, and in general I have been very pleased with my 800g, so I think I will just stay with it.

I'll see you guys in the 800g thread. ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

annepani

annepani
July 13, 2011, 9:06 pm
I did send them one by one via Bluetooth and I can't find them.
Where did you find them in your phone and how did you get them into the phonebook?
Okay, I figured it out... It took me all day but I got it.

The ex124g is much harder to work with than the LG 800G.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

Instead of the E for Edge on the phone the letter G showed up for a bit... What does that mean?

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

selw0nk,

G = GPRS = General Packet Radio Service

If you really want to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Packet_Radio_Service

desertdude

I'm wondering if there have been any reported problems with the Motorola EX124G. I've searched around but can
only find posts related to "how to's" or opinions on whether one likes it or not. Can't find anything on mal-functions.

Anybody heard anything?

Tanikaze

Dang, good thing I didn't jump onto the LG 800G train right away. Looking forward to more hands-on reviews of
this new Motorola -- I'm itching to get something with a touchscreen.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Tanikaze,

I wish I had jumped on the LG 800 train when I had the chance, then I would have paid only $49.99, plus about $4.7
in tax, minus the $5 via GI2011 code, minus the 24% ordering it through BigCrumbs.com, making my total about $38.
Then I would have asked Tracfone to replace it with the Moto EX124G and gotten the $80 plus tax phone for $38.

I just received mine and I'll post more information later but I have a question for those that already have them.
Can anyone text without difficulty using this phone without using the stylus? I tried a few texts, even turning it
sideways so the qwertykeyboard was bigger, and the tip of my finger covers about 4/5 letters. Everytime I use
a finger to hit a key it's a crap shot as to which one appears. Other than being dependent on the stylus I really
like the phone so far and it has a nice quality feel. Finding stuff seems more of a challenge, not as intuitive as
all the other phones I've had.

phil1336

Funny, I stayed away from the LG800g way before the "Texting Malfunction" problem became a huge issue due to
my inability and lack of patience to learn navigation skills with its Touchscreen. I thought I'd await the Motorola EX
124g and give it a try thinking it might be more intuitive and easier to use... Guess I was wrong.

Early reviews are mixed but consensus is that it is certainly (not) less complex to navigate then the LG 800g.
So glad I knew my limitations and needs and settled for the old school LG 290c Slider. A Phone for Tech Challenged
Dummies like myself. Oh well... Thanks Tracfancier for warning me ahead of time. I retained (all) my hair follicles.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

I can text with my ex124g but slowly so I won't misspell a word. LOL. Yes, the keyboard is way smaller than the LG
800G, but I think it's worth it and I am used to it after 2 days of playing around with it. When I am riding in a car with
a friend and trying to text I use the stylus and comes in handy. The feel of the phone and quality is much better than
the LG 800G and doesn't make and feel cheap... This is their best phone in my opinion.

So when I received the phone, it took me 2 days for them to activate and transfer my number and minutes to it.
So I ended up installing Opera Mini 6, Snaptu, Gmail and Google Maps. What was a surprise to me was when
I used the Facebook mobile site it actually let's me upload a picture from the phone and I can post on my wall as
mobile uploads. That is pretty cool because my last previous phones Lg800 and Lg500 wouldn't let me upload
a phone to the Facebook mobile site.

Twitter was the next test, but I used Ubersocial Mobile and Twitpic also lets me upload a picture from my phone!
After installing apps and messing around with the phone I am low on minutes now.. haha ... Also, when I tried
selecting my own text message sound that I made, it would not let me select it, only and incoming phone calls
which is a bummer.

Does anyone know the max Micro SD you can use on this phone?.. Right now I have a 4gb card from the LG 800G.
Instead of five bars showing up on the signal it goes up to four. Something I found annoying is the airtime widget or
icon next the browser icon on the lower bottom right, you can accidentally hit the browser button and get charged so
just move the airtime icon away from the shortcuts. It comes with 3 homepages so I guess you can just have a plain
wallpaper and the others can be widgets.

The FM radio works good too. I don't know if it's my phone but the power button is pushed in so much I have to press it
hard to turn on the phone. Now I am going to wait get a case and screen protector on Ebay soon once this phone gets
popular.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

FYI: You can assign your ringtones for your default ringtone, to groups, but not to individuals or texts, I think up to
four or five personal ringtones can be used... Find your ringtone and bring up the options for that ringtone, select
Use as Profile, that sticks it in the list of ringtones. Then go make a group and you can assign that ringtone to the
group... Like I said, not that intuitive... I also agree that the power button is severely recessed.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

Thanks, I will try that out.

SondraL

I've used 4gb, 8gb, 16gb and 32gb cards in the EX124g and they all work.

I have the 16gb in right now.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

The more I check out this phone the more I like it. I found you can have the phone create a background sound
during your phone calls when you call someone (doesn't work for incoming calls) so you sound like you're in
a restaurant, pub, on the sidewalk, at the train station or have an alarm going off in the background or motorcycles
going by. About 10 different pre-installed sounds and 10 more to add your own from anywhere you store them
on your phone.. If you turn the background sounds on, when you dial a call and hit the SEND key it asks which
background sound to play before it completes the call. Gotta find a sexy voice moaning sound effect for calls to
the wife!... This is gonna be fun! :D
Edit: This does work for incoming calls, I posted instructions in a latter post, post #61.

If anyone wants to play with this it's under Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Advanced Settings>Background Sound.

CORRECTION TO THE FOLLOWING EDIT: I messed up and thought I had tried a WAV file but it was another
WMA file. After trying a WAV again it was the only format that show when you go to add files but they still
don't let you add them.

Edit: If anyone can tell me what format those background sounds are in I would really appreciate it!
They aren't MP3, WAV, or MIDI as far as I can tell.
Added: AMR, AAC, +AAC, and WMA are no good either.
Another addition: After talking with Motorola it sounds like it's embedded in the firmware with no opportunity to
add more background sounds. We're stuck with the 10 that come on the phone, a couple are good.

You can block individual callers on this phone by turning on the blacklist and then blacklisting them.
Sends them straight to voicemail without ringing your phone.
This is under Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Advanced Settings>Blacklist, that's where you turn it on or off.
You can add people to the blacklist from the options for your contacts but unless you turn it on it won't do anything.

There is some setting Reject by SMS, haven't figured that one out yet. Anybody know how to use that?
Reject by SMS is under Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Advanced Settings>Reject by SMS.

Edit: I found out this option allows you to select an option, when you're receiving a call,
to automatically send a generic message stating 'Call you later' to the caller. More details in post #61.

You can also setup your IMAP or POP mail accounts on this phone so you can get your email on your phone,
multiple accounts. I set up 4 GMail accounts and 1 AOL. This is located under Messages>Email. I installed the
GMail app, but on this phone I can't get it to store multiple accounts... Anybody get the GMail app to work with
multiple GMail accounts?

colloquor

I acquired the new Motorola ex124g Tracfone this week. Generally, it's a nice phone, but there's something strange
about composing e-mails with this phone... When you tap on "e-mail", and then "compose e-mail", it takes you to a
screen with 5 open fields.

The 1st field is for the "To" or recipient, the 2nd field is for "cc", the 3rd field is for "Bcc", the 4th field is for "Subject",
and the 5th field is for "Attachments". I have all of my account settings correct (POP and SMTP), know how to enter
information into the "To" and "Subject" field, but where do you enter the actual e-mail message?

There is no default field for the message!.. And, this is not covered in the extremely limited documentation at all.
In fact, I didn't receive a Quick Start or Full Manual with the phone. The phone was delivered in a plain box, and
not in Tracfone's normal clamshell plastic.

I have successfully sent e-mails, but with only a Subject line! No body copy e-mail message... and this, of course,
is absolutely worthless.

Please tell me how and where to enter the actual e-mail message, as there is no default message field on my phone.
Perhaps my phone's OS or firmware has a bug??

Thank you.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

colloquor,
I have reposted my answer here because Turk plans to delete your thread under the Tracfone forum.
When you have questions about a specific model phone issue please don't start a new topic, find the folder
that covers the model phone you're inquiring about and post it in that folder like you did here in the Net10 forum.
Other than being sticklers on where to post information I think you'll like Turk forums, lots of people helping other people.

-----------------------------
Not very intuitive is it? Took me time to figure that out too! When you're composing the email and you see those fields
you mentioned, use the down volume key to move down the list. Each push of the down button moves you to the next
field as follows:

When you go to compose email, you are in the To field.
1st push of the down volume key puts you in the CC field.
2nd push of the down volume key puts you in the BCC field.
3rd push of the down volume key puts you in the Subject field.
4th push of the down volume key puts you in the Attachments field.
5th push of the down volume key puts you in the Priority.
6th push of the down volume key puts you in the Content field.
Then you select Edit when it says Content at the top and that is where you enter the actual message.

It would have been nice for them to have a Content field on the list and that way you would have known to keep going
down one more time to get to the Content field. Instead they decided to make it invisible to see if you could find it. That
should solve your problem, if not ask again.

KLM
Member Avatar

Wow, I gotta hand my phone exploring crown to these last Turk forum few posters. If the phones are getting to
finding treasures like this, it will become fun again... From all your reports this phone has a lot of features we
have been hoping for and some we did not expect. I have enjoyed, appreciate, and taken notes on your posts.
Thank you.

On those complaining about the small virtual keyboard, having to peck slowly, or use the stylus...
Pssst... I hear Tracfone is going back to dial pad text input in future models. Oh no! Did you just clutch your
keyboard phone a little tighter just then?

Remember the dial pad entry days? Press a key 4 times to get 1 letter, then move onto the next letter and do
the same. Oh we wished for anything better than that. We couldn't understand why Tracfone / Net10 was not
keeping up with the joneses... Now they are catching up and we have keyboards. :)

Just kidding about the mentioned rumor by the way. :)

I don't have a EX124G, but, could the 'background sounds' be in old .AMR format?

Yeah I was thinking with the background sound effect you could lie to your G.F. that you are just out walking
the dog when really you are at G.F. #2's house. But if G.F. #1 is not a blonde, she might figure it out quickly if
the background sound effect loops or what ever. :D

Now you just need a phone you can set to 'self ring' at a pre-determined time to help get you out of jams, like
keeping your visit short with annoying relatives.. I've got that feature with one of my phones. Screen lights up,
and looks like the real call screen, along with a message playing to make like there is some one really on the
other end. Heck, it even puts an entry in your call log that some one called from a number that you determined!
Maybe Motorola could put this in their next Tracfone... I'd buy one. :)

Good posts everyone on the EX124G. Kinda makes me wish I had one. My WalMart only has 1 Tracfone based
model and it has been out for over 2 years, so they are not doing a good job enticing me. :D

Have a good day everyone!

KLM
Member Avatar

BobbyLee mentioned you can do IMAP and POP, and cited an example with google and AOL... That's interesting.
But, can it do IMAP with your own domain? Specifically, I have found these phones so far are not able to SMTP due
to Tracfone port blocking.

I don't do G-Mail myself so I dunno how they have things set up, but if you can do IMAP, there is an SMPT part in there somewhere...

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

KLM,

I tried AMR too, no luck... Yes, the background sound effect loops but I don't know what type of time limit there is.
Most of my calls are about two minutes so if it takes a sound effect that long it would be great. Any other ideas on
sound formats? (So far no to MP3, WAV, AMR, MIDI)

Can't tell if the email would IMAP with your own domain... To set it up you enter email address, username, password,
and the account name. It then activates the account, you can't access the technical settings smtp, imap, ports, security
or anything else.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

I am having a hard time setting up the alarm on individual days.

It doesn't seem to work for me?

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
colloquor:

I acquired the new Motorola ex124g Tracfone this week. Generally, it's a nice phone, but there's something strange
about composing e-mails with this phone... When you tap on "e-mail", and then "compose e-mail", it takes you to a
screen with 5 open fields.

The 1st field is for the "To" or recipient, the 2nd field is for "cc", the 3rd field is for "Bcc", the 4th field is for "Subject",
and the 5th field is for "Attachments". I have all of my account settings correct (POP and SMTP), know how to enter
information into the "To" and "Subject" field, but where do you enter the actual e-mail message?

There is no default field for the message!.. And, this is not covered in the extremely limited documentation at all.
In fact, I didn't receive a Quick Start or Full Manual with the phone. The phone was delivered in a plain box, and
not in Tracfone's normal clamshell plastic.

I have successfully sent e-mails, but with only a Subject line! No body copy e-mail message... and this, of course,
is absolutely worthless.

Please tell me how and where to enter the actual e-mail message, as there is no default message field on my phone.
Perhaps my phone's OS or firmware has a bug?? ...... Thank you.
BobbyLee:

colloquor,
I have reposted my answer here because Turk plans to delete your thread under the Tracfone forum.
When you have questions about a specific model phone issue please don't start a new topic, find the folder
that covers the model phone you're inquiring about and post it in that folder like you did here in the Net10 forum.
Other than being sticklers on where to post information I think you'll like Turk forums, lots of people helping other people.
-----------------------------
Not very intuitive is it? Took me time to figure that out too! When you're composing the email and you see those fields
you mentioned, use the down volume key to move down the list. Each push of the down button moves you to the next
field as follows:

When you go to compose email, you are in the To field.
1st push of the down volume key puts you in the CC field.
2nd push of the down volume key puts you in the BCC field.
3rd push of the down volume key puts you in the Subject field.
4th push of the down volume key puts you in the Attachments field.
5th push of the down volume key puts you in the Priority.
6th push of the down volume key puts you in the Content field.
Then you select Edit when it says Content at the top and that is where you enter the actual message.

It would have been nice for them to have a Content field on the list and that way you would have known to keep going
down one more time to get to the Content field. Instead they decided to make it invisible to see if you could find it. That
should solve your problem, if not ask again.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

MENU>SETTINGS>CALL SETTINGS>ADVANCED SETTINGS>REJECT BY SMS (it toggles on and off)

OK, I found out what this does and how to use it. If you go to the above selection and turn ‘Reject by SMS’ so it is
set to ‘On’, then when you get an incoming call you can hit ‘Options’ (left soft key area, lower left) and it brings up
the following three choices:

1. Answer (answers the call, duh!, dumb place to have this selection)
2. Background Sound (more info on that in a little bit)
3. Reject by SMS

If you select option ‘3 Reject by SMS’ it shows you the SMS message it will send to the caller for you to approve.
The message says “Call you later” (it's not in my templates so it probably can’t be changed)... Pretty neat option!

As for the selection ‘2 Background Sound’ mentioned above, it looks as if you can have it play the Background
Sounds I talked about post #55. So, you can play the Background Sound on incoming calls (I was wrong earlier
when I said you couldn't do it for incoming calls). Now when my wife calls me and I’m somewhere I shouldn’t be :O
I can have the restaurant, pub, or sidewalk background sound playing to cover up the slots machine noises
around me. Or, I could use the white noise background sound so whoever calls me doesn't want to talk for long. ;)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

FYI: If anyone, with a EX124G, is interested in having your phone play a background sound while you’re on a call
or having the option to automatically send an SMS to an incoming caller (SMS says ‘Call you later’) I posted that
information under the Tracfone board. Posts #55 and #61 in the New Tracfone Motorola ex124g topic.

If nothing else, it explains what the 'Background Sounds' and 'Reject by SMS' selections do and how to use them.

DAG

Looking for some advice. I received the Motorola EX124g from TracFone a few days ago. After activating the
phone and using it for a few hours, the screen went blank and it was rendered useless. I suspect, but am not
certain, that it may have something to do with downloadinng Opera Mini to use instead of the default browser
on the phone. On the specs for the two phones, it mentions Java ME on the LG, but not the Motorola.

I am wondering if that could be the problem as Opera Mini uses Java to operate so Java is downloaded along
with Opera Mini.

TracFone is sending me a new Motorola EX124g this week... Does anyone have advice about downloading
Opera Mini on a cell phone to use as a web browser before I download it onto my new EX124g?

I should note that I had the LG 800g and downloaded a signed version of Opera Mini... It worked fine.
Perhaps I need to use the signed version on the EX124g.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

DAG,

Here are the magic steps to follow:

Go to the native phone browser and go to http://m.opera.com.
That takes you to a page that offers to install Opera 4.3 (Don’t choose that one),
choose the “Other download options” and hit the OK button... On the page it brings up, go down the page
until you see “Options for Opera Mini 6.1:” -- (or “Options for Opera 4.3:” depending which version you want)
and select the link under it that says “Select Code-Signing Certificate”.

On the page it brings up next you can choose one of those links to get a signed version.
Your choices are All certificates, No certificates, Thwarte certificate, or Verisign certificate.
I use Opera 6.1 and the All certificates version. After you choose a certificate option it brings
up the next page that allows you to download that version (6.1 or 4.3) with the signed certificates.

Select to download it and hit the OK button. After it finishes downloading let it install itself,
after it's finished you can find it under the Games and Apps directory.

That should solve your problem.

DAG

Thanks for the directions BobbyLee.

KLM
Member Avatar

BobbyLee - Thanks for replying about email using your own domain. I made a note of it. If all you can enter is email
address, user, pass then that is basically browser mail like. I was afraid of that (more of the same). I'm sure Net10/TF
would have ports blocked anyway ... To do mail with your own domain, specifically send mail from it) you'd need to
$pend money on a mail relay service, and yes there are java apps for that, which means you have to surrender your
password and account info to them... Creepy.

Again, thank you for checking on that for me.
BobbyLee:

Can't tell if the email would IMAP with your own domain... To set it up you enter email address, username, password,
and the account name. It then activates the account, you can't access the technical settings smtp, imap, ports, security
or anything else.
Oh... On the background sound during call thing, is it AAC?

selw0nk
Member Avatar

After having this phone for two weeks I think I'm gonna go back to my LG 500G.

The signal strength is even worse, and my friends can't hear me.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

For anyone following the discussion about the email program on the ex124g, I was wrong earlier, you can tweak the
incoming/outgoing server addresses, ports, security settings... I missed the one selection that would have gotten me
there on my first attempt looking for it.

selw0nk,
You get worse reception with the ex124g than the LG 500G? I have both and they match bar for bar at my residence
and while out and about.. Wonder why?... I verified both mine are on AT&T how about you?

selw0nk
Member Avatar

Yes, it gets very low on and off ... My area is GSMat5 or something ... So is that AT&T or T-Mobile?

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

selw0nk,
GSMAT5 means you're in a T-Mobile or AT&T area which means they stuck you on T-Mobile I'm betting. Check your
SIM card numbers, I'll bet the one in your LG 500G starts with 890141 (ATT) and the one in your EX124G starts with
890126 (T-Mobile)?

That would explain why your EX124G isn't getting as good a signal as your LG 500G. I bet you got the LG 500G from
a retail store because most retailers seem to sell AT&T SIM card phones and I am sure you got your EX124G straight
from Tracfone (because they like to stick people on T-Mobile if they can).

IF THIS IS THE CASE and you want the EX124G with better reception I'd call Tracfone (Miami number of course) and
tell them to send you an AT&T card or you'll return the phone for a refund.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

You are correct ... I did buy my LG 500G at Radio Shack ... What SIM card did you get?

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

selw0nk,
I have AT&T SIM cards in every phone I buy or I'd return them. In my area (a T-Mobile area according to Tracfone)
T-Mobile coverage really really stinks, AT&T rules here... When I bought my EX124G from Tracfone I specified an
AT&T only zip so I wouldn't get the T-Mobile card... So, are you gonna request an AT&T SIM from Tracfone to see
if it will match your LG 500G for reception?

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Has anyone found a notepad app that allows you to password protect your notes on the Motorola EX124G?

I haven't found anything on this phone I can use to store a note other than composing a text message then saving
it to the Draft folder and the one/single note widget that goes on the Home page... I did put a text document on the
phone and it can open it with some pre-installed eBook reader but you can't edit it with that... The note widget that
goes on the Home page, as far as I can tell, is a single note. You can't make more but atleast you can edit this one
note over and over... I need multiple notes and the capability to password protect them.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

BobbyLee
July 28, 2011, 3:56 pm
selw0nk,
I have AT&T SIM cards in every phone I buy or I'd return them. In my area (a T-Mobile area according to Tracfone)
T-Mobile coverage really really stinks, AT&T rules here... When I bought my EX124G from Tracfone I specified an
AT&T only zip so I wouldn't get the T-Mobile card... So, are you gonna request an AT&T SIM from Tracfone to see
if it will match your LG 500G for reception?
I hope so, today I have average coverage with the phone. It's like when the phone is in sleep mode sometimes
the bars are really low but when I unlock it the bars go high and I have a good signal. I am guessing it depends
where I am in my city.

Durai

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question, but I figured it can be deleted if it doesn't belong here.

I just recently got the Motorola EX124g and it isn't half-bad, but I have a few questions:

1. Is there an easier way to use the media player?
Having to place all my mp3 albums into play lists seems lazy on Moto's part.

2. If there isn't an easier way, has anyone found a decent media player app?
I found Evan-MP3-Player and it looks like it would be great to use, but it doesn't seem to be able to read my
mp3's (I read somewhere it can only handle ID3 mp3's and figured maybe my iTunes turned them into some
other form of ID# mp3's).

3. Of the apps people have installed, has anyone found a way to create a shortcut to the desktop for them?
It's currently a hassle having to navigate to get to my apps every time I want to use them.

4. If no shortcuts exist, is there a way to make a widget for them?

Any help provided is much appreciated.

astraea1976
Member Avatar

I had to get an Motorola EX124G exchange for my LG 800G due to the text problem.
But there are no instructions in the Moto box on how to return my LG, only a phone recycle bag.

Is that what we are suppose to send the LG back in, or do I need to call Tracfone?
If anybody has gone through the exchange, can you help?

annepani

astraea1976
August 1, 2011, 12:05 pm
I had to get an Motorola EX124G exchange for my LG 800G due to the text problem.
But there are no instructions in the Moto box on how to return my LG, only a phone recycle bag.

Is that what we are suppose to send the LG back in, or do I need to call Tracfone?
If anybody has gone through the exchange, can you help?
No, don't use the generic Motorola orange and white recycling mailer pre-addressed to Dexter MI or wherever.
That is the wrong one.

Catt Tracfone and tell them you need a USPS pre-paid RMA envelope (Return Materials Authorization).
It is preaddressed directly to Tracfone in Libertyville IL. They sent mine out FedEx and I had to sign for it.

astraea1976
Member Avatar

Thanks, you saved my neck ... They would have never received it.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

I sent my LG 800g with the included Motorola recycling envelope, and they said it was fine to send it, so I did.

astraea1976
Member Avatar

Interesting, I contacted tracfone to ask about getting a label to send back my LG and they also said that I could just
use the recycling bag.. How are they supposed to know that I returned it then?.. Has anyone just kept the phone or
sent in an old junk phone instead?

I wonder if they just say that they will turn off your new phone after 30 days so you don't keep it to sell it?
Anybody try to keep theirs?? ... I'm intrigued due to the rumors of yet another relaunch of the LG 800G's.
Supposedly they have new batches in stock that they have offered to exchange for the old ones to some people.

eronie

I've had my ex124g for 3 weeks now and love it! ... It replaced an old Moto 376g I had for 3 years.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to delete videos on the ex124g, there is no delete key anywhere.

Can anyone please help? ... Many thanks.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

eronie,

One way to delete an individual video is as follows:

Menu>Folder>(Phone or Memory Card depending where you are storing them)>Videos
Then use the up/down buttons on the side to highlight the video you want to delete.
Once it's highlighted hit Options (lower left) and select Delete... Hope that helps.

eronie

BobbyLee
August 7, 2011, 1:07 pm
eronie,

One way to delete an individual video is as follows:

Menu>Folder>(Phone or Memory Card depending where you are storing them)>Videos
Then use the up/down buttons on the side to highlight the video you want to delete.
Once it's highlighted hit Options (lower left) and select Delete... Hope that helps.
Thank You So Much... I thought I was going crazy!!!!!

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

eronie
August 7, 2011, 5:45 pm
Thank You So Much... I thought I was going crazy!!!!!
eronie,
No, you're not going crazy, it's the phone... Nothing about this phone is very intuitive... Glad it helped.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

Is there a way to make a mp3 I made to a text message alert?

I only found out to make a ringtone, but I can't see it to set as text message.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

selw0nk,

Sorry, for text messages you have to choose either silent or one of the 16 pre-installed tones.

Personally, I find Tone 10 (which is # 11 on the list) the least annoying, it just beeps once.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

That sucks, and I really like this phone too... Oh, and I do use Tone 10 (which is # 11 on the list) also.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

You use Tone 10 also...

I'd say we both have the same taste, but I think it's more a matter that all the other tones just really suck bad.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

I did use Tone 06, then it got really annoying later on.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I was just over on Tracfone.com looking at the phones for sale, as I do when I am bored, and I saw this:

* The Motorola ex124g for sale for $80, but, it now has it listed as coming with Triple Minutes for Life (TMFL)!

* Side note: the new Tracfone Samsung 404g is now for sale ($60) and it also has TMFL. (<-- the future is here!)

* Link: Tracfone.com Sales Page - TMFL

TMFL = Turk Minutes For Life B-)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Last week I received this phone (Net10 version) as a some what surprise gift from someone, but I haven't activated it yet.

* I been playing around with it for the last week and am figuring to do a phone transfer on Monday or Tuesday of next week.
* I figured since I got it as a gift I might as well use it, right? ... so I'm gonna transfer from my Samsung r355c to this phone.

* This phone is nice, and the more I play with it, the more I seem to like it .... I figured out most things, but not all things.
* I could probably answer some basic questions about the phone, but please don't ask about any high tech stuff. (lol)

* After I activate it and use it for a bit, I will post a little review of this phone, as I always do when I get a new phone. ;)
* Ps: folks, there is also a bunch of information about this phone in the Tracfone Forum dealing with the Tracfone version.

Durai:

1. Is there an easier way to use the media player?
Having to place all my mp3 albums into play lists seems lazy on Moto's part.
* Durai ... I have been messing around a little with the MP3/Media player myself, and it seems to me that's the way it
* might end up being ... but if I am wrong, anyone can feel free to correct me.

* As far as your other questions, I can't help you out, for I don't really deal with Apps. (sorry)

Moturkola B-)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Last week I received this phone (Net10 version) as a some what surprise gift from someone, but I haven't activated it yet.
* I been playing around with it for the last week and am figuring to do a phone transfer on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

* I figured since I got it as a gift I might as well use it, right? ... so I'm gonna transfer from my Samsung r355c to this phone.
* This phone is nice, and the more I play with it, the more I seem to like it .... I figured out most things, but not all things.

* I could probably answer some basic questions about the phone, but please don't ask about any high tech stuff. (lol)
* After I activate it and use it for a bit, I will post a little review of this phone, as I always do when I get a new phone. ;)
* Ps: folks, there is also some good information about this phone in the Net10 Forum dealing with the Net10 version.
--------------------------

* You guys were talking about transferring contacts from another phone to this one and said you did it one at a time?

* I have 50 contacts on my Net10 Samsung r355c and I tried sending all 50 contact at once and only 5 went through.

* So I tried sending (through bluetooth) 5 contacts at a time and they did go through that way (5 may be the limit?). ^o)

Moturkola B-)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

TracFone now offering Motorola ex124g TRIPLE MINUTES for $80... I just ordered one.

Since I also have two LG 800G's, both functioning without any problem, I'll soon be able to make a personal comparison.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* If anyone cares (lol) ... I finally got this phone up and running, and have been using it for the last few days now.

* I think I figured out most stuff so far, but I do have a few questions maybe someone here can answer for me.

1. There are 5 widgets on the bottom of the home screen...

> can you remove any of these widgets? (especially the browser widget, I keep hitting it)

> can you re-arrange the widgets around in order - or put different widgets in their place?

* I can't seem to find out anywhere in the phone to do this - I don't know if this can even be done? ... thanks. ;)

Turk Widget --> B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk,
I haven't found anyway whatsoever to move, hide, or change those widgets and I have looked hard.
If anyone finds a 'trick' to do that, I'd be real interested too, but it isn't a selectable option.

The only thing this phone lets you do is add widgets, from a predefined set of widgets, to the main screen.
You do know you can add predefined widgets by doing the tap and hold on the main screen until the add
widget box pops-up?

Not much of a selection to choose from but you might find a few useful like the Media and Radio widgets that were
pre-placed on the home screen (Other addable widgets: Analog clock, Digital clock, Date, Photo flow, Photo frame,
Alarm, Calendar, Recent event).

To remove widgets YOU'VE ADDED to the main screen, you tap and hold the widget and drag it to the trashcan that
now sits where the browser button was (hmmm, you think they might be trying to get us to hit the browser accidentally
again?) ... Sorry, don't have the answer you were hoping for.

KLM
Member Avatar

@ Turk - I smiled on the news that you received a EX124G as a gift... No more Turkberry. :D

I'm glad you like it, and welcome your review as well.

Yeah, no more Browser hardware key to accidentally bump, but you are stuck with a browser widget to
accidentally bump..... And the browser bump tradition continues!

KLM

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* BobbyLee ... thanks for your answers ... I don't think the browser widget or the other 5 widgets can be altered. :ermm:

* Yes, I know about that on-screen widget window that opens up to display other widgets to be used ... thanks.

* KLM .... yes, I did say I like it, but I didn't say I love it .... and the Turkberry isn't ruled out completely just yet .. ;)
--------------------------

* Here are some other questions maybe someone can answer if they have this phone:

2. The on-screen widget that deals with the airtime - can that be removed completely off the screen?
-- I don't mean moving the home screen left or right to hide it - I want it removed for good (it's useless to me).

3. Does this phone only have a max of only 4 reception bars? (most other phones have 5 bars or more)
-- I know some newer cell phones are only having 4 bars ... so I was just wondering ... thanks.

Touch Screen Turk B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk,
I use the airtime widget so I hadn't tried to remove it until you asked. It won't let me remove it like all the others
on the home screen. It doesn't matter if you display the time and date via the prepaid menu or not. So, I guess
the answer to your question number 2 is nope.

The max number of reception bars I've seen to date is 4 and even the manual that shows the status icons shows
the signal strength with only 4 bars... The fourth bar is as tall as all the other status icons so I think 4 is all we get.
On the plus side I've made calls with no bars showing that sounded fine. It's only when it says "No service" that I'm
not able to make a call.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* BobbyLee .... ok, thanks for your responses, much appreciated ... I think I have about everything else covered.. ;)
* Ok everyone, listen up, this is very important news. (lol)... when I had my Tracfone LG 290c, I called it my TurkFone,
- when I had my Samsung r355c, I called it my Turkberry - I now will call the Moto ex124g my iFone. (cheap iPhone - get it?)

* Here are some different pictures I took with my iFone over the last few days. (3mp camera and video recorder)
* Pictures turn out really nice on this phone, but Videos are a little distorted (but I wasn't expecting much anyways).

Night Picture
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures provided by Turk and his iFone (Moto124g) B-)

KLM
Member Avatar

iFone with a non-removable airtime widget. :D

I'm jealous of the iFone's picture quality. Not bad at all for night shot and great 2nd Wal-Mart airtime card rack' pic too.

That was a good question Turk about removing the airtime widget.

KLM

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
*** Turk's Net10 Motorola ex124g Official Phone Review ***

* Ok, after having this phone for about 4 weeks, I am finally ready to post a little review of this phone according to Turk.
* Remember, these are my experiences, thoughts and opinions of the phone, yours may differ, which is fine, to each his own.

* First off, the phone is very attractive, slim, and modern looking - has a nice, big, colorful screen with great resolution.
* The phone manual has some little tips in it, but over all it is useless as usual ... you're on your own with this phone.

* The built quality of the phone is ok, not good and not bad - but the battery cover is paper thin and snaps on.
* Be careful not to drop this phone, or it will explode like a hand grenade, and the battery cover will probably break.

* The touch screen is pretty decent when it come to being responsive when you touch it - better than I thought.
* The touch screen works better if you use the tip of your finger nail or the stylus - it can also be frustrating at times.

* It has a 3mp camera and video recorder - pictures come out nice but the videos are a little distorted (which I was expecting).
* Videos are good for filming fun stuff - but I wouldn't use it for filming anything special like a wedding or birthday party.

* The phone can hold up to a 32gb micro sd card according to some folks, even though it says only up to a 16gb card.
* I have a 4gb micro sd card in it now, and for me that seems plenty for the things I use it for - and Bluetooth works great.

* The phone battery doesn't seem to last too long - I think that big touch screen drains it faster than normal phones.
* It takes about 3 hours to fully charge the battery - for I have charged it now four times from being completely drained.

* It comes with a stylus, which is good, cause some of you will probably be using it for some things like texting, like I do.
* You can turn the phone sideways for texting to make the keyboard bigger - but for me it is a lot better with the stylus.

* The phone charges .5 units for sending and receiving texts (SMS) - and 3.5 units for picture messages (MMS).
* I don't know how much it costs for video messages for I didn't try it - I am guessing 3.5 units for video messages?

* The phone's web browser is EDGE - it's not bad, but not good either - you may want to download Opera Mini as some do.
* If you don't plan on using the browser that much or at all, then the EDGE browser will do just fine.

* The phone has an MP3 player and FM Radio ... MP3 player sounds good ... FM Radio is not so good!
* I can't seem to get good reception with the radio? - I can on my old Moto w376g which has a radio... go figure.

* Voice quality while talking to someone is average I feel - people on the other end say I sound "tinny" ? (not good).
* Speaker phone is loud, but quality is also average I feel - people on the other end say I sound better on the speaker
* phone than I do when the phone is in normal call mode?!

* I live in an area where both Verizon and AT&T are strong, but Verizon is a little better, and this phone goes off AT&T.
* However, the signal strength doesn't seem to be that good on this phone - maybe it has a weak antenna?

* I had other GSM phones that got a better signal than this phone, which makes me disappointed the most about this phone.
* I am already getting tired of seeing "No Service" on this phone when my other GSM crap Fones had a signal?!
* I never once saw "No Service" on any of my CDMA phones wherever I went - it was all bars, all the time! - brother!

* Is it worth $80? - I don't know, that's up to you to decide ..... would I pay $80 for it? - No, probably not. (I got it for free)
* Is it better than the LG 800g? - I don't know, I don't have that phone ... would I choose this phone over the 800g? - Yes.

* Personally, I'm not that much of a fan of touch screen phones - I prefer a blackberry type of phone - and CDMA service.
* If this phone was CDMA, I'd probably accept it & enjoy it more, and use it longer that what I am planning on using it.
* After having it now, the novelty has kind of worn off - also, as time goes by, I am starting to miss my Turkberry (r355c).

* That's about it - so if you have a good GSM area, and you like touch screen phones, then you'll probably like this phone.
* If you don't have a good GSM area, or don't care that much for touch screen phones, then I would skip this phone.

* All in all, the Motorola ex124g is a nice, decent, GSM touch screen phone that will appeal to the touch screen phone fans.
* Thanks for reading this long review, and I hope you enjoyed it ... and if you have any questions, feel free to just ask. ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a little personal comparison between the GSM Motorola ex124g and my old phone the CDMA Samsung r355c.

* The Samsung r355c has:
> Better Built Quality
> Better Voice Quality
> Better Speaker Phone Quality
> Better Texting (and cheaper at .25 units per text)
> Better Battery (lasts forever!)
> Better Native Browser (faster and looks better)
> Better Signal Strength (Verizon is awesome around here - all bars, all the time)

* The Motorola ex124g has:
> Bigger Screen
> Better Screen / Resolution
> Can Play / Download Games
> Better Menu / Options
> More Menu Options
> Better Camera / Options
> Better MP3 Player (can customize)

T U R K B-)

bonnovy

I received this phone a few days ago and need to know if there is a way to set a repeating alert to tell me
I have a voice mail?... My old LG 600 had a way to set an alert to repeat every minute or 5 minutes or so.

Thanks for any help.

Masked Superstar
Member Avatar
Masked Member
Turk,
Good review, pictures, and videos of your new phone. Sorry to hear that you're alittle disappointed with the signal strength.
I know you are a CDMA man, so going to GSM is maybe a step downwards for you as far as the signal is concerned.

My wife and I think the EX124G is really nice looking, saw it at my local Walmart one day for $80.
But where we live, (in the hills/mountains), we need Verizon, GSM just doesn't cut it here. ^o)

If this phone was on Verizon, I know my wife would want it, she seems to like touch screen phones, her friend has one.
So hang in there Turk, the new CDMA phones are just around the corner, maybe you'll like one of them. :)

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
bonnovy:

I received this phone a few days ago and need to know if there is a way to set a repeating alert to tell me
I have a voice mail?... My old LG 600 had a way to set an alert to repeat every minute or 5 minutes or so.

Thanks for any help.
* bonnovy .... hi, and welcome to the Forums.
* I also have the phone, and I can not find anywhere on this phone a "reminder/alert/beep" of any kind either.

* I can't find anything for voice mails, text messages, or phone calls that reminds you that you have received one?
* All I get is the initial alert for: calls, text messages, voice mails, etc ... after that there is no "reminder beep" ?

* My last phone (Samsung r355c) had alerts for everything, and you could set the time for these alerts to act on the phone.
* So if anyone out there has an answer for us, feel free to let us know, thanks - but I have a feeling there are none. :ermm:

Turk B-)

riledupinwi

I just upgraded my Motorola W376g flip phone to the new touch sensative EX124G. So far I like it. It has the look and
feel of the more expensive smartphones, without the huge price tag... I decided to go this route with Tracfone instead
of switching to VirginMobile for a couple of reasons. The main reason was the cost of the basic VM 300 min/unlimited
web plan increased from $25 to $35 month when the new Motorola Triumph came out in July. It sells for $300 with no
contract... Good deal, but compared to the average $10 month I was paying Tracfone, it's a lot.

I got triple minutes for life, so the $200 1500 minute web only airtime card will actually get me one year of service and
4500 minutes. That works out to be about 4.5 cents per minute and about 2.25 cents for each text message. (Tracfone
deducts 1/2 a minute to send a text message).

This ex124g has a stereo FM radio, plays MP3 and WAV files, has room for a 16? gig mini SD card + 50meg on board
user memory, has a horizontal qwerty keyboard for text messages, and stylus to help with the smaller "keys" of the
vertical keyboard.

It really does help with the smaller buttons, and there's little risk of it coming out of the phone accidentally. It has good
resistance and a reassuring click to keep it held in place. I have yet to try the bluetooth capability, and the PC transfer
cable is on order with some other accessories. This should be a great training tool to get me used to carrying a larger
and more expensive device down the road.

* I've seen conflicting info about the maximum micro SD card capacity. The manual says 16 gig, but other sites show
32 gig... Has anyone been using a 32 gig and getting full use of all the space? :D

selw0nk
Member Avatar

32gb micro SD card does work for this phone... I don't know about getting full use of all the space there is just no way.

sherrydale

I am thinking about buying this phone ... how do we get apps? ... are they free?

eronie

I love my ex124g, however, I cant get any of my music to play?

Downloads went well, I see the lists but there is no play key? ... please help!!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

eronie
August 27, 2011, 9:12 am
I love my ex124g, however, I cant get any of my music to play?
Downloads went well, I see the lists but there is no play key? ... please help!!
I'm not sure I can help. I loaded 423 songs onto a folder I created on the external memory card while the EX124G
was hooked up to my PC ... When I disconnected from the PC, I went to the folder I created (MENU, MY FOLDER,
MEMORY CARD, the folder I created)... I opened that folder and clicked on a song. It played ok.

Then I went back to the main menu, then to MENU, MULTIMEDIA,MEDIA PLAYER, ALL MEDIA FILES, then the
library updated itself (you'll have a YES or NO option at the bottom of the screen)... When the updating finished,
all the files I loaded were displaying.

I can play music now from Widget on the main screen, or go to MULTIMEDIA and select a file. ..... I hope this helps.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

selw0nk
July 16, 2011, 8:30 pm
I am having a hard time setting up the alarm on individual days ... It doesn't seem to work for me?
Did you ever solve this issue?

Here is how I set up my alarms Monday-Friday: 5:30AM - get my oldest daughter up, 6:00AM get my youngest
daughter up, 2:00PM go pick up my youngest daughter from school, 3:50 PM pick up my oldest daughter from
her bus stop.

From the main page, tap MENU, TOOL, ALARM
There are only five separate alarm slots. Either tap EDIT, or tap one of the unused alarm slots.
Each slot can have its own repeat pattern.

An EDIT screen should pop up with a list of options (ON/OFF. Alarm Time, REPEAT, ALARM TONE, SNOOZE, ALERT TYPE
After you reset each option, you must press DONE at the bottom left of the screen to save the new setting.
You do this for each option you reset. After you tap DONE, a SAVE? will appear.
Tap YES on the bottom of the screen to save your settings for that option.

Tap the arrow ends on the ON/OFF field to turn the alarm OFF or ON. Tap DONE then YES to save new setting.

Tap the alarm Time to set the time. Tap DONE then YES to save new setting.

Tap the field just below REPEAT to activate the repeat option. Tap the arrows on end of the field to select
ONCE, EVERYDAY, or CUSTOM.
Under CUSTOM, select the days of the week you want the alarm to repeat. A red box appears around the
days you select... The options are S M T W T F S. Tap DONE then YES to save your new settings.

Under ALARM TONE tap the field end arrows to set it TONE or FM RADIO
If you select FM RADIO, a field appears for the station frequency. Tap this field, then tap EDIT to enter the frequency.
If you select TONE, tap the field underneath TONE to activate the tone you want. Tap OPTIONS on the bottom of the
screen to bring up a list of pre-installed tones. Tap the tone you want. Tap DONE then YES to save your new settings.

If you fail to tap DONE on the bottom left of the screen then YES for the SAVE? screen, your new settings will
not be saved. ...... I hope this helps.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

I figured out how to setup the alarm, thanks.

So, I been using this phone for about a month and I noticed that I started seeing black marks on the screen from
viewing pictures, ya know when you slide the photos to the next tone. I start to see marks from when I press and
slide... Also, from the unlock key too.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

selw0nk
August 28, 2011, 1:58 am
I figured out how to setup the alarm, thanks.

So, I been using this phone for about a month and I noticed that I started seeing black marks on the screen from
viewing pictures, ya know when you slide the photos to the next tone. I start to see marks from when I press and
slide... Also, from the unlock key too.
I see black marks also, and I've only been at it a week.

desertdude

Hmmmm... black marks from two different reports. I was thinking about getting one of these but that would upset
me terribly if I saw that happening to mine.. Are these marks from the stylus or the plastic face changing color or
maybe "dirty fingers"? ... If the marks are permanent, this is a deal breaker for me.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

desertdude
August 28, 2011, 1:33 pm
Hmmmm... black marks from two different reports. I was thinking about getting one of these but that would upset
me terribly if I saw that happening to mine.. Are these marks from the stylus or the plastic face changing color or
maybe "dirty fingers"? ... If the marks are permanent, this is a deal breaker for me.
From the plastic face changing when press and sliding. These are permanent because this is my second
replacement of the Motorola they sent me... I was having signal and drop calls and my screen was worse,
you can see the black slide marks when looking at the screen at different angles.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

selw0nk
August 28, 2011, 1:51 pm
desertdude
August 28, 2011, 1:33 pm
From the plastic face changing when press and sliding. These are permanent because this is my second
replacement of the Motorola they sent me... I was having signal and drop calls and my screen was worse,
you can see the black slide marks when looking at the screen at different angles.
I haven't been able to get them off, either -- even tried alcohol.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

As you can see.
Posted Image

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Just wondering, has anyone else noticed when you hold the EX124G in your hand and make contact with the
metal trim the signal bars drop by 2 bars after about 20 seconds? I wonder if this phone has a grounding issue?

I plan on getting one of those covers off eBay to cover the metal trim and see if that helps.
Anyone ripped one apart yet and looked at the insides?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I'm coming to the conclusion that the features that the phone comes with is all there will ever be.
Except for pretty crappy games, there are no useful apps such as a scientific calculator, or a memo pad,
or a world clock, and there likely never will be.

It looks to me like developers of really useful apps and widgets are bypassing the cheapskate Java crowd
for more lucrative business on Android and iPhones... Somebody please tell me I'm wrong.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
BobbyLee:

Just wondering, has anyone else noticed when you hold the EX124G in your hand and make contact with the
metal trim the signal bars drop by 2 bars after about 20 seconds? I wonder if this phone has a grounding issue?
* All I know is, that the signal on this phone (around here) seems to go up and down, up and down, up and down...
* One second its on full bars, the next second it drops down to no bars, then back up again (seems sensitive)?
* Even when I am close to an AT&T tower, like 200 yards away, the bars go up and down, up and down?!?!
* BobbyLee ... Yes, I did notice that the bars drop when I hold it in my hand for awhile, as well.

* DoctorM ... I agree with you, I've had this phone about 6 weeks now, and I agree that this phone is basic in a lot of ways.
* I also downloaded 2 games from the Net10 browser game site for a fee of 50 total minutes (buy one get one free).
* And I think all the games they offer are kind of cheap and are hard to play on a touch screen phone (even with a stylus).
* If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have downloaded any games and kept the 50 minutes!

* In conclusion - as time goes on, I find myself caring less and less about this phone - thank goodness I got it for free!
* I miss my Turkberry (r355c) and may try transferring back to it one day when I am finally fed up with this phone.
* I'm almost thinking of calling Net10 CS and telling them my phone is bad, and send me a LG 900g as a replacement? (lol)

* If other people like or love this phone, that is fine by me, I'm glad, enjoy it all you want ... but I am starting to dislike it.
* The only things I'd take with me from this phone is the 3mp camera and recorder and the big screen, and that's it. :ermm:

Moturkola B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk,
I haven't had reception fail me yet on this phone but having the signal bars riding a roller coaster sort of concerns me.
You touch it you lose two bars, you put it down you gain two bars, go figure. DoctorM is right about the app problem,
even the GMail app that works fine on every other Trac Java phone doesn't work well on this phone (using multiple
accounts really screws it up). The built-in email app works well but the GMail app was better for me. Also, any app that
looks useful or fun doesn't seem to install/work with the Java code on this phone. Thank goodness the browser apps
(Bolt and Opera) work fine.

I'll keep it as my GSM phone/camera/toy but my primary phone is the LG 231C for the coverage (the LG 231C may
soon be replaced by the LG 501C). The 501C has Java ('NOT BREW') which runs the browser apps and the GMail
app without problems (haven't tried any games yet).

BTW, the LG 900G would be a good choice, I liked it a lot but Net10 wasn't for me.
Bummer it wasn't sold through to Trac.

paul621

I have a browser setup question for my EX124G--this topic might be generic to other touchscreen phones,
but I've Googled for a while, and I have not found an explanation for this selection.
This topic is not explained in the 70-page guide.

NOTE: For this exercise, DO NOT select the Browser widget on the initial entry screen!
Wait for the next screen as explained below.

From the initial entry screen, select the menu widget (lower-left blue box with 12 tiny squares) to
display the next 12 widgets.
On the next screen (with the 12 widgets), select the Browser widget (middle column-bottom row).
On the Browser menu screen, scroll down and select Settings at the bottom.
On the Settings menu, select Browser Options.
On the Browser Options menu, select Navigation Mode.
Navigation mode forces a choice among "Four Way", "Two Way", and "Scrolling".
I have some idea of what these phrases might mean, but can someone provide an explanation or
examples of exactly what these choices implement?

Thank you.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I was going to give the Moto EX124G to my wife, but then we tried the camera out. The video save always returned
an error and wouldn't save it. Then we took a photo, and we could not find where the unit was storing still pictures.

That just tears it. I just got a return authorization from the Miami office (1-800-876-5753).. This phone is going back
for a full refund. Glad I bought it from TracFone and had the 30-day return privilege. For the price it is disappointing,
though it has few good features.

I'll be replacing the EX124G with a new LG 800G Triple Minutes from Amazon.com. So far I have had good luck with
the 800G's, and none of the problems reported by others. With 1200 minutes for $109, it is like getting the phone for free.

I would like to get the new Samsung Galaxy Precedent from Straight Talk, but I can't justify $45 month unlimited plan,
- just don't use the phone minutes that much.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

@Turk
I am starting to dislike it too ... I miss my LG 800G and LG 500G.
It has a horrible media player that does not do album or artist sorting. It lacks a notes application, which most flip
phones even have, and it has one of the worse resistive touchscreens around. I didn't find anything good about
the phone, except it has a nice screen and a small size... The phone is completely cumbersome to use.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
paul621:

I have a browser setup question for my EX124G--this topic might be generic to other touchscreen phones,
but I've Googled for a while, and I have not found an explanation for this selection.
This topic is not explained in the 70-page guide.

NOTE: For this exercise, DO NOT select the Browser widget on the initial entry screen!
Wait for the next screen as explained below.

From the initial entry screen, select the menu widget (lower-left blue box with 12 tiny squares) to
display the next 12 widgets.
On the next screen (with the 12 widgets), select the Browser widget (middle column-bottom row).
On the Browser menu screen, scroll down and select Settings at the bottom.
On the Settings menu, select Browser Options.
On the Browser Options menu, select Navigation Mode.
Navigation mode forces a choice among "Four Way", "Two Way", and "Scrolling".
I have some idea of what these phrases might mean, but can someone provide an explanation or
examples of exactly what these choices implement? ............ Thank you.
* paul621 ... Yes, I know what you are talking about, these options are under the browser settings in the main menu.
* However, I don't know for sure what they mean? ... I am guessing they might have to do with the browser screen...
* Like when you're on the web browser, maybe you can move the screen page around? (up down left right?)
* My phone is preset to Four Way, which I am assuming would be the best option, but I never bothered to experiment.
* I don't use the browser that often ... plus, I am low on minutes at the moment to try it out for you, or I would.
* Maybe someone else here will come along and help out with your question better than I did ... sorry, and good luck.
----------------------------------------------

* DoctorM .... congrats on returning the phone ... boy, that didn't take you long to make up your mind. (lol)
* At least you're able to get your money back and use it towards that LG 800g deal (wanna buy me one?). (just joking)
* Thanks for doing the phone comparison between the two (Moto ex124g vs LG 800g), I guess we know who won.

* selw0nk .... yep, the phone is basic, just a simple phone that just happens to be a touch screen phone.
* Like I said above... all I like about it is the 3mp camera/recorder and the big screen, and that's it.
* For me, the overall phone also needed to be a little longer, at least an inch, to fit better in my hand.
* I'm a tall, big dude and I got big hands, so it feels like I am holding a deck of cards in my hand with this phone.

* I prefer Verizon, so I thought, the new CDMA phones are coming out soon, so why not use this phone until then?
* But I don't know if I can take it any longer! I don't know if I could wait another 2 months while using this phone! (lol)
* So, I have come to a conclusion that I am gonna try transferring back to my Turkberry (r355c) sooner than later.

* Final thoughts:
* Why aren't any stores (other than Walmart) selling the Net10 Motorola ex124g yet?
* Why aren't any stores selling the Tracfone version either?

* Is Tracfone Inc. worried there is something wrong with it?
* Oh ya, there is something wrong with it .... it SUCKS! .... Wooooooooooo! (lol) ;)

Turk B-) Berry

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I think Motorola did not properly vet the design and features of the EX124G against other phones at its price
range, nor did they evaluate it against its logical competitor - the LG 800G, the only other touchscreen in the
TracFone inventory. Motorola gave TracFone a model that in some areas was superior to the LG 800G (FM
radio, 3MP camera, screen size, sound, external memory), but in other areas was inferior (simple calculator,
simple calendar, no world clock, no memo pad, files hard to find, clunky user interface, finger-unfriendly touch
screen)... For something 60% more expensive than the LG 800G, the EX124G should have been superior to
the LG 800G in every feature... Unfortunately, it was not!

I bet the EX124G will soon fall in price as TracFone realizes it's positives do not outweigh it's negative enough
to justify its price... In my opinion, it would be a good buy at $30 to $40, but only if it was Triple Minutes for Life.

Shannah

Hi, new on the boards! I am looking into buying the Moto EX124G. perks for me, as I have long nails, is the
stylus for the most part and I really like the idea of the FM radio, not sure how to use an MP3 player as I am
a "bit" older and havent ever used one anyway!

My question for the moment, where can I find this 70 page manual that all the reviews are mentioning?
I went to one website suggested by someone on Wontek, but it showed the site unavailable. Please help!
Another question: how many minutes am I charged to use the web browsers/apps and to send a text?

Thanks a million everyone!

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Shannah,
Here is the link for the EX124G: http://www.tracfone.com/Common/English/Digital_Assets/16478.pdf

As for the costs, mine run about .3 for incoming and outgoing texts, I think the data cost for using the web is
about 1 unit per minute with an initial .5 to start... I think MMS (email with picture or audio file attached) cost
about 1.5 units. I don't track that very well I just use it, maybe someone who tracks the costs better could tell
you for sure. I'm on Tracfone and the costs are different on Net10. Which one were you thinking of going with,
Net10 or Tracfone?

gdsmit1

I'm looking at this phone to replace my basic phone, an LG 600g... I like the idea of getting my e-mail on it.
I see myself making use of some of the apps, but not all that many.

I do have a couple questions that I'm hoping some of you folks can answer.

Does it allow voice dialing?... I have a Bluetooth headset, but that doesn't really help when you still have to
take your eyes off the road to dial.

Is there an app that acts as a Kindle?... It would keep me from having to carry a book everywhere.

Thanks in advance.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

gdsmit1,
No voice dialing on the EX124G, most of the CDMA models (LG220, LG231, LG501C, etc.) have voice dialing.
I don't think anyone has found any document reader app for the EX124G yet, it can open small plain text documents.
The LG 800G has more document reading capability from what I've seen in that phone's thread.

Hope that helps, if not post again.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I saw a PDF Reader app on UMnet, but I did not try it out.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

I tried several from UMnet, most wouldn't install and if they did they wouldn't launch.

gdsmit1

Unfortunately, my area is GSM only.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

So, I turned on my phone by pressing the side button while it's in sleep mode, and when I slid my
thumb right to unlock the phone the screen turned blue.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

selw0nk,
So is it stuck on the blue screen? If so, try pulling the battery for a few minutes and then try again.
I turned that dumb slide lock off the first couple days I had the phone, it annoyed me too much.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

No, I pressed the power button and it cleared up... I too should turn that dumb slide lock off.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I turned that slide lock off as well, after about 3 days of owning this phone... it was really annoying.

* The sleep mode kind of annoys me also - you always have to keep turning the phone back on to do anything.

* I sometimes get charged 1 minute for text messages - and they aren't long text messages either!

* Sometimes when I am playing around with, or looking at this phone, it makes me feel a little nauseated.

* I don't know if it's the screen or the way the touch screen works, but sometimes I start to feel sick (motion sickness).

* I am still using it, trying to think what direction I want to go with this phone..
- trade it in for the LG 900g and try it out for awhile? ... or go back to my Samsung r355c and sell the Moto ex124g?

* Either way, I am eventually getting rid of this phone...

exTURKg B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk
September 17, 2011, 12:50 am
* I sometimes get charged 1 minute for text messages - and they aren't long text messages either!

* I am still using it, trying to think what direction I want to go with this phone..
- trade it in for the LG 900g and try it out for awhile? ... or go back to my Samsung r355c and sell the Moto ex124g?
Turk,
At least on Trac texts only charge .3 minutes. Costs might work out to be the same but watching .3 disappear
versus 1 is a lot more comforting. I quit using my Net10 LG900G because I didn't like how quickly the minutes
disappeared texting and using the browser, other than that I would have liked to keep using that phone. Just FYI.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* BoobyLee .... ya, I know Tracfone only charges .3 units per text...

* The Net10 Moto ex124g charges .5 units per text, but sometimes when it feels like it, it'll charge me 1 whole unit ?!

* My Net10 Samsung r355c only charged .25 units per text, so I got 4 texts per minute, which is cheap!

* I started texting more because the Samsung r355c was so cheap to do it on... but the ex124g charging .5 units,
* and sometimes 1 unit, seems to be draining my minutes faster than I like it to. :ermm:

* I hardly ever use the web browser that much, so that doesn't really factor in to my minutes being used.

* Ps: I thought I read somewhere the LG 900g only charges .25 units per text also, is that true?

Texturk B-)

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk
September 18, 2011, 12:55 am
* Ps: I thought I read somewhere the LG 900g only charges .25 units per text also, is that true?
Turk,
Just sent a text on my LG 900G, and yes it was only .25, but sending an MMS picture cost me 2.5.
I think what irritated me was how the internet access seemed to really eat up my time quickly.
I just know none of my Tracfones ever ate my time up as quickly as this Net10 phone, still wish it had
been available through Trac.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

Are you saying on Net10 the LG 900G it is cheaper to text than on the Moto EX124G?
If I am correct, the Motorola EX124G charges .30 through Tracfone?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.