Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Turk Forums Weekly Poll: .... Who would you like to see win the Baseball World Series?
Kansas City Royals
San Francisco Giants
I don't care who wins.
Poll Maker
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up here -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have total access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
(Trac/Net10) LG 800g Phone Topic
Topic Started: April 13, 2011, 6:59 pm (89,442 Views)
DoctorM
Member Avatar

kvtx
September 13, 2011, 3:50 pm
I called Tracfone today (9-13-11) about the texting issue with the LG 800G. The CSR had me go to code
entry and enter a long number (16 digits maybe) and then send a text message from the LG 800G to the
same phone. She said the problem should be fixed with the code I entered. I have sent myself a few text
messages to check it out. The messages came through but I will have to wait for a few days to see if I still
get duplicate messages... Hope this works... I'll post again after a few days with the results of my texting.
It seems Tracfone is no longer exchanging phones to solve the problem.
Interesting ! ..... Sounds like TracFone tech has isolated the issue.
I assume you have a S/W V10d. I wonder if the code they had you enter resulted in a targeted upgrade to your phone.
Is there any change in the version number?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Adlie

DoctorM
September 12, 2011, 11:47 pm
If you go to MENU/SETTINGS/PHONE there are two settings which affect the screen duration: POWER SAVE and AUTO-LOCK.

POWER SAVE is just an ON/OFF slide button. Tap the ON/OFF slide to turn POWER SAVE on or off.
A Blue button indicates it is on, and a grey button indicates it is off.
When POWER SAVE is on, it overrides any setting you make in AUTO-LOCK.

AUTO-LOCK allows you to set the duration the screen stays on before it locks, but it only works if AUTO SAVE is off.
Tap on AUTO-LOCK and the following choices appear: NEVER, AFTER 10 SEC, AFTER 20 SEC, AFTER 30 SEC,
and AFTER 60 SEC. Tap your choice and a red check mark appears beside it.

Remember that your delayed settings (especially NEVER) will shorten your battery time and require more
frequent recharging. You might want to invest in a car charger if you don't like AUTO-LOCK. I got one included
in my unit from HSN. They are also available on eBay for a couple of $. You can also manually turn off the
screen by briefly depressing the physical on/off switch on the top right of the unit.
I followed your instructions DoctorM and my phone was/still is set to "60 seconds" with power save in the "off" position.
But it still closes up after about 3 seconds. It's a little frustrating. :(

A car charger is a great idea... I wonder if the one from my LG 500g phone will work?

Adlie

DoctorM
September 13, 2011, 9:05 pm
kvtx
I called Tracfone today (9-13-11) about the texting issue with the LG 800G. The CSR had me go to code
entry and enter a long number (16 digits maybe) and then send a text message from the LG 800G to the
same phone. She said the problem should be fixed with the code I entered. I have sent myself a few text
messages to check it out. The messages came through but I will have to wait for a few days to see if I still
get duplicate messages... Hope this works... I'll post again after a few days with the results of my texting.
I assume you have a S/W V10d. I wonder if the code they had you enter resulted in a targeted upgrade to your phone.
I'd like to know as well... It would be great if they can fix the problem with a code entry.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Adlie
September 13, 2011, 11:07 pm
DoctorM
September 12, 2011, 11:47 pm
If you go to MENU/SETTINGS/PHONE there are two settings which affect the screen duration: POWER SAVE and AUTO-LOCK.

POWER SAVE is just an ON/OFF slide button. Tap the ON/OFF slide to turn POWER SAVE on or off.
A Blue button indicates it is on, and a grey button indicates it is off.
When POWER SAVE is on, it overrides any setting you make in AUTO-LOCK.

AUTO-LOCK allows you to set the duration the screen stays on before it locks, but it only works if AUTO SAVE is off.
Tap on AUTO-LOCK and the following choices appear: NEVER, AFTER 10 SEC, AFTER 20 SEC, AFTER 30 SEC,
and AFTER 60 SEC. Tap your choice and a red check mark appears beside it.

Remember that your delayed settings (especially NEVER) will shorten your battery time and require more
frequent recharging. You might want to invest in a car charger if you don't like AUTO-LOCK. I got one included
in my unit from HSN. They are also available on eBay for a couple of $. You can also manually turn off the
screen by briefly depressing the physical on/off switch on the top right of the unit.
I followed your instructions DoctorM and my phone was/still is set to "60 seconds" with power save in the "off" position.
But it still closes up after about 3 seconds. It's a little frustrating. :(

A car charger is a great idea... I wonder if the one from my LG 500g phone will work?
Try turning your phone all the way off (not just a blank screen), or removing the battery and then put it back in.
Then turn the unit back on again... Then reset your Auto-Lock and Power save settings, and try it again.
Use the stopwatch feature to see how long it takes for the screen to turn off. Turning the unit completely off is
the first thing that TracFone will have you do if you call them. I think this clears the internal memory.

I actually try my advice out to make sure I have the setting procedures and path right, and that it works.
I have my LG 800G set on power-save off, and auto-lock on 60 seconds. The screen stays on exactly 60 seconds.
I re-checked it just now using the stop watch. At exactly 60 seconds on the stop watch, the screen went out
just as it was supposed to.

If that doesn't work, then you might have a defective unit.

Adlie

My apologies... I don't think I explained myself well in my previous post.

When I do the power save/auto-lock sequence followed by the stopwatch, the phone does indeed go
dark at the 60 second mark.

The problem I'm having is when I dial a call. As soon as I hit send, the screen goes dark.
Meaning, that if you have to call up the "dial pad" feature, you have to unlock the screen again.

I know the screen locks after you send a call so that your face/cheek doesn't press on the screen and
cause problems with the call... But it makes using the dial pad feature difficult. :(

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Adlie
September 14, 2011, 8:54 am
My apologies... I don't think I explained myself well in my previous post.

When I do the power save/auto-lock sequence followed by the stopwatch, the phone does indeed go
dark at the 60 second mark.

The problem I'm having is when I dial a call. As soon as I hit send, the screen goes dark.
Meaning, that if you have to call up the "dial pad" feature, you have to unlock the screen again.

I know the screen locks after you send a call so that your face/cheek doesn't press on the screen and
cause problems with the call... But it makes using the dial pad feature difficult. :(
Well, you can tell I don't make many calls.

Your right... The touch pad stays active about 7 or 8 seconds after each entry.
Then it offs itself, and the unlock button comes up when the center hard key is pressed.

Same thing happens when you off the screen manually, and then tap the center hard key - the unlock button
comes up. Doesn't matter if you choose an auto-lock time or NEVER.

You pretty much answered your own question. Appears to be a deliberate design feature, and not one you
can change. All in all, as you said, intended to prevent inadvertent activity in your pocket or on your cheek.

I tried the NEVER setting while playing music. The screen goes dark after 60 seconds, but the lock button doesn't
come up when the center hard key is pressed. So that is the way those settings work. And now you are the expert.

gdsmit1

What's the cost to send or receive a text message on this phone?

kvtx

DoctorM
September 13, 2011, 9:05 pm
kvtx
Yes, I do have a S/W V10d. No, the code entered did not change the version. I forgot to mention previously,
the CSR had me remove the battery and SIM and then put them back in before turning phone back on and
doing the code entry. I have not received any duplicate texts so far (since yesterday). I don't do much texting
so it wasn't a major issue for me. I'll let you know if anything changes.

And, by the way, in another post I mentioned a could not call my other cell phone from the LG 800G.
I now can (even before the code entry I mentioned above). Some glitch that seems to have resolved itself.

kvtx

gdsmit1
September 14, 2011, 10:52 am
What's the cost to send or receive a text message on this phone?
.3 minutes for me ... That is point 3 minutes - the dot is small so thought I would make it clear.

selw0nk
Member Avatar

Oh, I thought it was 3 cents ... I must got it all mixed up every time I see .3

DoctorM
Member Avatar

selw0nk
September 14, 2011, 2:15 pm
Oh, I thought it was 3 cents ... I must got it all mixed up every time I see .3
0.3 minutes at ten cents a minute would be 3 cents.

gman350

Just recently activated my LG 800g with software version V10d. So far the phone is working fine.
Thanks to this forum, if I do have any problems, I will know where to go for help.
The posts have I read about the LG 800g have been very informative and helpful... Thanks again.

gdsmit1

I decided to get this phone for my son. I figure since it is a touch screen it has the cool factor going for it.
It activated on the web site without a hitch.

I am looking for how I can track the phone. I posted a thread just for that, but figured adding it here would help.
Are any of the apps that work on this phone able to track where he is?

Does Google Latitude work on it?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

gdsmit1
September 14, 2011, 8:45 pm
I decided to get this phone for my son. I figure since it is a touch screen it has the cool factor going for it.
It activated on the web site without a hitch.

I am looking for how I can track the phone. I posted a thread just for that, but figured adding it here would help.
Are any of the apps that work on this phone able to track where he is?

Does Google Latitude work on it?
According to Google (http://www.google.com/mobile/latitude/) Google Latitide works on the following platforms:
Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Symbian, (Nokia) Windows Mobile, and you personal Computer.

The LG 800G apps must be Java2ME. I doubt there is enough demand to justify Google developing the lower
end Java market. But if there ever is, you would probably find it on UMnet (www.umnet.com).

selw0nk
Member Avatar

Yeah, I also tried Google Latitude on the phone and they don't work... I wish they would though.

Adlie

DoctorM
September 14, 2011, 10:31 am
And now you are the expert.
Now that made me laugh!! lol :)

josim

I upgraded from an LG 420g to the LG 800g, as my wife did a few weeks ago.
After activation I was able to use the bluetooth function in old and new phones to transfer my contacts...

AND... my CALENDER.

This is very cool... Calender/menu in the lower left/Setting/Send via bluetooth.

John

DoctorM
Member Avatar

I see the LG 800G is now an acceptable device on GetJar... Wish they would allow downloads to a PC.

Adlie

DoctorM
September 15, 2011, 9:18 pm
I see the LG 800G is now an acceptable device on GetJar... Wish they would allow downloads to a PC.
I wish they did too... I like how umnet allows d/l's to the pc.

pjonthemount

Here's one for ya'll.

Has anyone figured out how to add menu items to the home screen that are not in the ones
at the bottom of the screen? ... I wish I could add things like calculator and voice recorder.

couper

First experience with Tracfone (and a cell phone for that matter) .. My 800G is new but I guess
the phone no. attached to it - I needed a new no. - has another person's name identified with it.
Does TF remotely replace that name with mine? ... Does it take more than 2 weeks?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

couper
September 16, 2011, 8:03 pm
First experience with Tracfone (and a cell phone for that matter) .. My 800G is new but I guess
the phone no. attached to it - I needed a new no. - has another person's name identified with it.
Does TF remotely replace that name with mine? ... Does it take more than 2 weeks?
How did you buy your phone? If it already had a number assigned to it when you got it, then it is a used phone.
A new phone doesn't have a telephone number assigned until it is activated.

You should be able to just call TracFone and get a new number. At most, they might have to deactivate your
phone to release the number, then reactivate it. I'm just guessing here. Make sure you can keep any minutes
on the phone when you call TracFone.

FYI - Most telephone numbers are re-used - previously someone else's number. TracFone doesn't keep a
directory of names and numbers that I know of. If you buy a TracFone from WalMart for example, you can
go on-line to activate it without ever posting who you really are. They do want to know the zip code you will
be using the phone in, because that can affect the sim card in the phone. TracFone's website has a volutary
web service that allows you to set up an account for buying phones and time, and it allows you to register
your phone and its ID#.

couper

DoctorM
September 16, 2011, 8:58 pm
couper
September 16, 2011, 8:03 pm
How did you buy your phone? If it already had a number assigned to it when you got it, then it is a used phone.
A new phone doesn't have a telephone number assigned until it is activated.

You should be able to just call TracFone and get a new number. At most, they might have to deactivate your
phone to release the number, then reactivate it. I'm just guessing here. Make sure you can keep any minutes
on the phone when you call TracFone.

FYI - Most telephone numbers are re-used - previously someone else's number. TracFone doesn't keep a
directory of names and numbers that I know of. If you buy a TracFone from WalMart for example, you can
go on-line to activate it without ever posting who you really are. They do want to know the zip code you will
be using the phone in, because that can affect the sim card in the phone. TracFone's website has a volutary
web service that allows you to set up an account for buying phones and time, and it allows you to register
your phone and its ID#.

couper

The phone is new, purchased through Amazon.com. It was activated on-line at the TF website.
I have contacted cust. serv. at TF by phone and also by email trying to get this matter resolved.
I was told it would be resolved within 72 hrs but that was more than 5 days ago...no luck so far.
That's why I wanted to know if called ID names can be changed remotely by TF.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

couper
September 17, 2011, 8:53 am
The phone is new, purchased through Amazon.com. It was activated on-line at the TF website.
I have contacted cust. serv. at TF by phone and also by email trying to get this matter resolved.
I was told it would be resolved within 72 hrs but that was more than 5 days ago...no luck so far.
That's why I wanted to know if called ID names can be changed remotely by TF.
I'm not sure what your question is.

I think it is that you want a new phone number, because the one assigned to you by TracFone belonged to
someone else... And then you want to know if TracFone can do that remotely?

Am I understanding you correctly?

Are you asking for a particular number, or just any other TracFone number that is available?

Depending on where you are, and who your assigned carrier is (I think Amazon.com TracFones are all
AT&T sim cards), you might have to wait awhile for a new phone number to become available. If you are
not in an AT&T area, then you might have to get a new sim card in addition.

I think the service rep will want you on line to complete the transaction. They can have you enter some numbers
in the code entry mode to make sure the transaction is completed correctly... If you have been waiting 72 hours,
and nothing has happened, I'd call them again. You should have gotten a ticket number from the last rep to give
to whomever answers the customer service line -- which could be anywhere in the world. The quality of service
can vary from excellent to poor.

couper

First of all, I appreciate your quick replies to my not so clear questions.

Here's the story so far...new phone activated on line with TF. At that time, since I required a phone no., they
provided one for me. When I make a call from that phone the name that appears on caller ID is not mine but
the name previously associated with that phone no.

As I said, I called TF cust. serv. and was told that situation would be corrected but so far it hasn't.
What I really want to know is -- can they actually do that from where ever they are?
Or is the name associated with that no. imbedded in the SIM card and I would need a new one of those?
Or maybe I should have stood my ground and continued my quest of being the only non cell owner in the USA.

Thank you DoctorM

08graduate

Hello, I just bought the lg 800g an I'm liking it, it's cool that I can download apps to it.. an my kids can listen to music.
Only if I could find a coloring book app.. do u guys know any that are ad free and possibly free looking for Dora and
Dinosaurs.. I'm on Net10, is Tracfone any better and could I switch to factor with the phone I have...
and is the LG 505c by lg coming, Or is it out?

annepani

08graduate.
If you switch from Net10 to Tracfone you cannot use the Net10 phone. You will have to get a Tracfone phone.
Even if you get the same model phone, you will have to get the Tracfone version of it.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

couper
September 17, 2011, 7:54 pm

Here's the story so far...new phone activated on line with TF. At that time, since I required a phone no., they
provided one for me. When I make a call from that phone the name that appears on caller ID is not mine but

As I said, I called TF cust. serv. and was told that situation would be corrected but so far it hasn't.
What I really want to know is -- can they actually do that from where ever they are?
Or is the name associated with that no. imbedded in the SIM card and I would need a new one of those?
Or maybe I should have stood my ground and continued my quest of being the only non cell owner in the USA.

Thank you DoctorM
OK. thanks. I understand now. It is a caller ID issue.
To be honest, I have never checked to see what showed up on the other side when I call.

The next question, since you contacted TracFone about this, is did customer service give you a ticket number for your
complaint? If yes, you can check the progress on the ticket by going to http://www.tracfone.com/case_select_action.jsp

If you weren't given a ticket number, then probably no action is being taken by TracFone, and you should
call them again. It might help for you to use the term "Caller ID name" in explaining the problem.

The LG 800G has no facility I know of for you to assign a name to send with your number. All you can do is
choose whether to send the number TracFone has assigned to the phone... I don't know whether TracFone
has the capability to assign a name to the phone number for caller ID purposes. You would think they might,
but if so, they aren't promoting it.

Some carriers do keep an independent data base which allows them to search and insert a name to a incoming
call. This might be your problem. If this is the case, it would not be something TracFone directly controls. Rather
I think they would make a request on your behalf to the carrier that has that information stored, assuming they can
identify the carrier, and the carrier is cooperative.

Anybody else chime in on this.

Good luck on this one, and let us know how it turns out.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

08graduate
September 18, 2011, 12:09 am
Hello, I just bought the lg 800g an I'm liking it, it's cool that I can download apps to it.. an my kids can listen to music.
Only if I could find a coloring book app.. do u guys know any that are ad free and possibly free looking for Dora and
Dinosaurs.. I'm on Net10, is Tracfone any better and could I switch to factor with the phone I have...
and is the LG 505c by lg coming, Or is it out?
TracFone is for light users - Up to one year of time can be purchased. Mostly for those of us who consider it
an emergency device rather than for regular use... TracFone for light users is cheaper.

Net10 is for those moderate users who regularly use more minutes... Net10 for regular users is cheaper.

I haven't seen a coloring book app, but if there is one, you might find it on www.UMnet.com

couper

DoctorM
September 18, 2011, 12:48 am
couper

Thank you DoctorM
To be honest, I have never checked to see what showed up on the other side when I call.

The next question, since you contacted TracFone about this, is did customer service give you a ticket number for your
complaint? If yes, you can check the progress on the ticket by going to http://www.tracfone.com/case_select_action.jsp

If you weren't given a ticket number, then probably no action is being taken by TracFone, and you should
call them again. It might help for you to use the term "Caller ID name" in explaining the problem.

The LG 800G has no facility I know of for you to assign a name to send with your number. All you can do is
choose whether to send the number TracFone has assigned to the phone... I don't know whether TracFone
has the capability to assign a name to the phone number for caller ID purposes. You would think they might,

Some carriers do keep an independent data base which allows them to search and insert a name to a incoming
call. This might be your problem. If this is the case, it would not be something TracFone directly controls. Rather
I think they would make a request on your behalf to the carrier that has that information stored, assuming they can

DoctorM -
The last two paragraphs of your reply hit the nail on the head and caused me to reread the email sent
to me by TF earlier this week, part of which is:

"Please be informed that the caller ID of your phone will be updated within 24 hours in our system.
However, it will be updated on other landline providers within 30 days."

Now it's just wait and see what happens .......... Thanks again for not writing the whole thing off!!!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

couper
September 18, 2011, 10:40 am
DoctorM
September 18, 2011, 12:48 am
couper

Thank you DoctorM

DoctorM -
The last two paragraphs of your reply hit the nail on the head and caused me to reread the email sent
to me by TF earlier this week, part of which is:

"Please be informed that the caller ID of your phone will be updated within 24 hours in our system.
However, it will be updated on other landline providers within 30 days."

Now it's just wait and see what happens .......... Thanks again for not writing the whole thing off!!!
Thanks for the confirmation.
Sometimes I amaze myself.

couper

As well you should.

08graduate

Well,
I have an android phone virgin mobile optimus v, so this phone is basically for my kids to enjoy...
are there any good educational apps that ur kids enjoy?

selw0nk
Member Avatar

I don't remember, but does this phone have a qwerty keyboard in the address book?
Like when I add a new contact with their name and last name.
If I remember correctly, the only selection you can use is the keypad or T9?

josim

selw0nk
September 19, 2011, 7:37 pm
I don't remember, but does this phone have a qwerty keyboard in the address book?
You are correct! ... Keypad or T9 for contacts.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

08graduate
September 19, 2011, 1:44 pm
Well,
I have an android phone virgin mobile optimus v, so this phone is basically for my kids to enjoy...
are there any good educational apps that ur kids enjoy?
The LG 800G will only run java apps, which are pretty limited at the time - not like the very extensive android app market.
There are a several games, and a few cool animated gifs that kids would like.

Go back to page 4 of this thread, to my comment #309 for a list of apps from UMnet.com that I have
successfully installed on the LG 800G.
I further discuss loading apps in my comment # 347 on page 4.
And I list a few more apps and animated gifs on my comment # 348.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

selw0nk
September 19, 2011, 7:37 pm
Adding contact information in CONTACTS, it is only the keypad or handwriting - no qwerty. Handwriting is pretty good.

JimmyJames

OK, I just got my 800g (it's activated, but I'm waiting for a new SIM so I can port over my minutes and #), and I'm
having the most minor problem imaginable with it... I've got my microSD card installed, and I've been using the
bluetooth connection to move files to the new phone (which is taking a while, but I don't have the right data cable).

The problem I'm having concerns the music player. I'm moving a bunch of mp3s/m4as to the phone, and while
they transfer just fine, they aren't organizing themselves in the player menu. The songs are listed under "Songs,"
but under the "artists" and "albums" menus, I've only got the first four artists/albums that I transferred and everything
else is listed under "unknown." Does anyone know what would be causing that to happen and how I might fix it?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

JimmyJames
September 21, 2011, 11:54 am
OK, I just got my 800g (it's activated, but I'm waiting for a new SIM so I can port over my minutes and #), and I'm
having the most minor problem imaginable with it... I've got my microSD card installed, and I've been using the
bluetooth connection to move files to the new phone (which is taking a while, but I don't have the right data cable).

The problem I'm having concerns the music player. I'm moving a bunch of mp3s/m4as to the phone, and while
they transfer just fine, they aren't organizing themselves in the player menu. The songs are listed under "Songs,"
but under the "artists" and "albums" menus, I've only got the first four artists/albums that I transferred and everything
else is listed under "unknown." Does anyone know what would be causing that to happen and how I might fix it?
I'm just guessing -- that all the info that the LG 800G requires for sorting is either not there, not in the proper
sequence, or the LG 800G doesn't know what to do with some of it, which might affect the rest of the info.

Most of my music on my PC has the original CD track# as the first part of the title. Windows file manager
recognizes music and will sort the data into columns for you. PC music players (iTunes or windows player)
shuffles the track# into a different column, and can sort alphabetically on the actual title. But the LG 800G
doesn't know what to do with the track#,and just includes it in the title, which prevents alphabetic sorting on
name.

So on my PC, I set up a transfer folder for the music I wanted on the LG 800G. In the transfer folder, I went
through 483 songs to strip off the track # .. Then I transferred the music to the LG 800G. Now I can sort my
songs alphabetically in the LG 800G. I can also sort by artist, album, or genre for the files that have that info.

Maybe this helps, maybe not -- buts it is all I know.

JimmyJames

DoctorM
September 21, 2011, 1:45 pm
I'm just guessing -- that all the info that the LG 800G requires for sorting is either not there, not in the proper
sequence, or the LG 800G doesn't know what to do with some of it, which might affect the rest of the info.

Most of my music on my PC has the original CD track# as the first part of the title. Windows file manager
recognizes music and will sort the data into columns for you. PC music players (iTunes or windows player)
shuffles the track# into a different column, and can sort alphabetically on the actual title. But the LG 800G
doesn't know what to do with the track#,and just includes it in the title, which prevents alphabetic sorting on
name.

So on my PC, I set up a transfer folder for the music I wanted on the LG 800G. In the transfer folder, I went
through 483 songs to strip off the track # .. Then I transferred the music to the LG 800G. Now I can sort my
songs alphabetically in the LG 800G. I can also sort by artist, album, or genre for the files that have that info.

Maybe I'll try that. Of course, that means deleting everything I've already moved and starting over, which isn't
very appealing... The songs do list that track number before the title on the phone, but I just don't understand
why the first four things I moved worked just fine, but nothing after that.

EDIT (3:30 PM): I figured out that the track names can be edited on the phone itself, so I experimented with
removing the track numbers from a couple of file names, and viola! the artist and album sorting works... So,
it'll take me a while to fix this for all of these tracks, but you were right about the problem DoctorM. Thank you!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

JimmyJames
September 21, 2011, 2:05 pm
DoctorM
September 21, 2011, 1:45 pm

name.

Maybe I'll try that. Of course, that means deleting everything I've already moved and starting over, which isn't
very appealing... The songs do list that track number before the title on the phone, but I just don't understand
why the first four things I moved worked just fine, but nothing after that.

EDIT (3:30 PM): I figured out that the track names can be edited on the phone itself, so I experimented with
removing the track numbers from a couple of file names, and viola! the artist and album sorting works... So,
it'll take me a while to fix this for all of these tracks, but you were right about the problem DoctorM. Thank you!
Editing out the track# in place on the LG is a good find. Good sleuthing.
Probably the best way to go when the file is already on the phone, and there are not too many.

Deleting files on the LG 800G is pretty fast, since all it does is delete the pointer to where the data is located,
and doesn't really delete the data itself. Loading new files in is really slow. Even with a data cable, it took an
hour for me to load 483+ songs. You can do one data move request for all the files going into the same folder
when using a data cable. I think Bluetooth has a limit of 10 files per transfer request, so it will be much slower
than the data cable.

Once you get a data cable, you'll find it much more convenient than Bluetooth for transferring lots of files from your PC.
Where I think Bluetooth really shines is moving data phone to phone, like calendar, contacts, photos, and such.
Bluetooth can access internal memory, while the data cable can't.

If you have a lot of files (like hundreds), editing on the PC is much faster. In that case, viewing the files on the PC
in detail mode allows you to see clearly the data segments that need changing... On my system (Windows XP),
music folders are automatically displayed in music form, with the information data (song NAME, ARTIST, ALBUM,
GENRE, etc.) sorted into columns, allowing sorts on any column. That's how I discovered the track# in the title was
preventing an alphabetical sort on NAME. You can also add in missing data.

JimmyJames

I doubt I'll be getting a data cable at this point... I just finished putting about 3 gig of songs on the phone via
bluetooth (yes, it took forever), but now that that's there, there will really only be small amounts of data going
back and forth to or from the phone, so I'm not that worried about it. I've just been moving files over whenever
I had time to work on it for the last several days. Finished today, and got most of my files to organize correctly,
although a few of them still ended up as "unknown" even though the ID3 tags are correct on the computer.
A few of them are tracks that actually start their names with numbers, and that's still causing a problem for the
phone, but it's only something like 10 tracks, so I'll live with it... I'm probably only going to use the music player
on shuffle anyway.

As for the bluetooth, it's pretty slow (usually between 70 and 90 kbps), but I was actually able to send
over more than ten files at a time. I know one packet was 45, and it went perfectly. Could be because
I'm operating from a Mac, though, not a PC.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. If I had it to do over, I would have just done the editing on the computer,
but although it took a long time I've now got my new phone completely set up and ready to go... Now I just
need to figure out which apps and games I want. As a side note, I absolutely love this phone. I ordered the
$33 one from Amazon, and it's the best money I've spent in a long time. This thing does everything I need it
to do, most of what I want it to do, and a lot that I didn't even know I wanted it to do.

Gravelo

Curious as to the setting under Settings>Phone>Security>Device Lock ... What is this setting for?
Will this help me keep the lock from coming on during a call?
I have it set to "Never", but my lock comes on if I am on a call for more than a minute.

Thanks, still love using the Holy Scroll codes to get free minutes ... Later!

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Gravelo
September 22, 2011, 11:36 pm
Curious as to the setting under Settings>Phone>Security>Device Lock ... What is this setting for?
I have it set to "Never", but my lock comes on if I am on a call for more than a minute.

I don't want to fool with it in case it locks up the phone so it can't be used (which is what I suspect).
Why don't you experiment with it and report your findings here.

Gravelo

DoctorM
September 23, 2011, 7:32 am
Gravelo

I don't want to fool with it in case it locks up the phone so it can't be used (which is what I suspect).
Why don't you experiment with it and report your findings here.
I'll wait to see if someone else, more knowledgeable than myself, has an answer. :)

JimmyJames

I wrote a full review of the phone for Amazon, so here's the link, in case you're interested:

LG 800g Review

JimmyJames

Gravelo
I'm not sure what that particular function does, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't any way to make the screen stay
unlocked during a call... They seem to have built that in to prevent accidental face dialing or something like that.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

JimmyJames
September 24, 2011, 2:36 am
Gravelo
I'm not sure what that particular function does, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't any way to make the screen stay
unlocked during a call... They seem to have built that in to prevent accidental face dialing or something like that.
The Unlock button that comes up after the screen is blanked is not related to Security settings.
You can not deactivate the Unlock button during a call.
You can delay the screen blanking by tapping on the screen anywhere.

Security settings prevent anyone else from accessing your phone, such as a snoopy girlfriend, a distrusting
wife, or someone who "finds" your phone (in your pocket, in your backpack, or forgotten somewhere).
It is what Tiger Woods should have had on his cell phone so his wife couldn't find all his mistresses.
It can also makes the phone useless to a thief. And it can prevent someone else, such as your kids, form
changing your settings.

In theory, they are good features to have, but you can inadvertently lock yourself out of your own phone.
If that happens, TracFone may be able to reset them for you, but you will probably have to give them your
phone number and serial number, which you probably can't get from a locked phone, so just in case, have
that info stored somewhere safe, such as a file in your home office.

Pin code, if you activate it, is a four-digit number that has to be entered each time the trigger event occurs.
A four digit code is not all that hard to hack, so you only get four tries before the phone locks up. Then you
might have to call TracFone to clear it for you. There is a default code already set. I've tried three different
default codes, none of which worked. I only have one left, so I'm leaving the setting on OFF.

Device lock is a menu of trigger events - you choose one (Never, At Devices Startup, When Sim Card Is
Changed, Immediatly). The default trigger event is Never.

Change Codes has three sub-menues - Pin Code, Pin2 Code, and Security Code. I suppose this where you
input your own codes, bur you have to know the old code to do it... Since I don't know the old code, I can't
actually use them yet.

Pin Code

Pin2 Code

Security Code is supposedly required to delete all phone entries and to restore the handset to factory setting.

UPDATE 1:
I just tried the last four digits of my phone number as the pin code, which didn't work. I've used up my four tries.
Now the phone requires me to enter a PUK code, which I have no idea what it is. The phone will not leave screen
for entering the PUK code, so now the phone is effectively locked up, with me on the outside unable to get in.
Now I have to call TracFone. This is why I warn you to be careful with security settings.

UPDATE 2:
I called TracFone, and the CSR had me take the battery out while the phone was on, then after the battery was
reinserted, she gave me a PUK code to input, then reset my pin code to 1111.

Then I went to MENU/SETTINGS/PHONE/SECURITY/ and set the pin code to ON, then CHANGE CODE, and input
a new pin code. Note: once you turn PIN CODE to ON, every time you activate any setting under pin code, including
Change Code, you will have to enter the current pin code. Even to turn PIN CODE to OFF requires you to enter the pin
code. I recommend you write your pin code down somewhere safe, though you can always call TracFone to reset it.

I have to find out more about Pin Code 2 and Security Code before I play with them. Before you can change
Security Code, for instance, you have to know the current Security Code (which I don't.)

Adlie

We've just arrived home after spending a week at Disney's Boardwalk Villas.
I have to say, I had trouble with my new LG 800g. :(

I would try placing a call and it would immediately drop it and return back to the home screen.
I don't believe it even rang on the other end. I tried calling 4 other phones... 2 blackberrys, 1 android
and 1 tracfone. Most of the time I couldn't reach anyone. :(

(on a side note, I love your posts DoctorM. I learn so much!)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Adlie
September 25, 2011, 2:03 pm
We've just arrived home after spending a week at Disney's Boardwalk Villas.
I have to say, I had trouble with my new LG 800g. :(

I would try placing a call and it would immediately drop it and return back to the home screen.
I don't believe it even rang on the other end. I tried calling 4 other phones... 2 blackberrys, 1 android
and 1 tracfone. Most of the time I couldn't reach anyone. :(

(on a side note, I love your posts DoctorM. I learn so much!)
So you couldn't reach out and touch someone with the LG 800G?
So sad. Sounds like something between you and the cell tower was affecting the signal.

You ever listen to your car radio and drive up to a stoplight with overhead power lines nearby and experience
the radio station you've been listening to suddenly become weak or fading or lots of static interference? And all
you have to do is move the car a little bit and the signal becomes strong again. That's because radio broadcast
signals traveling around horizontal metal wires can form null nodes that interfere with the broadcast radio signal.
Other types of metal structures can also cause radio signal interference without actually being directly between
you and the radio signal transmission point.

Well, the cell phone is really a radio phone, and cell towers are really radio signal repeaters that pick up your
phone broadcasts, re-amplifying the transmission and sending it on to the next repeater, until the signal from
your phone reaches your target. If your target is far away, the radio transmission probably enters a hard wire
transmission point along the way. The same repeaters bring the response back to your cell phone. All this
signal re-transmission from cell tower to cell tower takes place in micro-seconds - so fast you don't notice the
delay... Anywhere along the signal transmission path, signal interruption or signal degradation can occur.

If the LG 800G works fine at home, then you were probably in some kind of null field at Disney, where the cell
phone signal, whether transmitted or received, was weakened or degraded because of some metal structures
nearby. The higher frequency radio signals also like to travel in straight lines, and can be blocked or weakened
by large objects in the transmission path.

This doesn't solve the problem, but it might help you understand why it occurs.
The solution is to move around an try to find a "sweet spot" with a stronger and more stable signal.

Adlie

DoctorM, (once again), I truly enjoyed your post. :) .. Were you ever a teacher?

As for my Disney LG 800g experience, I did indeed move around trying to find a spot that would allow me to make
a call... Have you ever seen the Boardwalk area at the hotel? It is a stretch of open walkway bordered by water.

When I checked my signal strength, I always had 5 bars. I did eventually find one small area where I could call back
up to the room... But when I went there a 2nd time to make a call, I got the "call drop" result again.

The odd thing is that the other phones I was trying to reach never had the problem I had. Definitely not the blackberrys
or android. And the other tracfone (LG 500g) didn't really have any issues either. It appeared to be just my LG 800g.

Gravelo

Thanks, Jimmy James, for your help.
I think I will leave well enough alone and just enjoy my phone as is for now.

"But first, are you Experienced?"

Zudozizzi Ninja Spaminator
Member Avatar

Has anyone else gotten the following TF email:

ACTION NEEDED BEFORE OCTOBER 21, 2011:

The network has recently been upgraded. Your phone requires a programming change which
will allow for better service... Please call us at 1-800-867-7183 to perform this upgrade.

JimmyJames

September 26, 2011, 11:09 am

The network has recently been upgraded. Your phone requires a programming change which
will allow for better service... Please call us at 1-800-867-7183 to perform this upgrade.
I haven't seen anything like that myself, but please keep us updated on what happens if you follow up on it.
I'm curious to know exactly what that means.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Adlie
September 26, 2011, 8:30 am
DoctorM, (once again), I truly enjoyed your post. :) .. Were you ever a teacher?

As for my Disney LG 800g experience, I did indeed move around trying to find a spot that would allow me to make
a call... Have you ever seen the Boardwalk area at the hotel? It is a stretch of open walkway bordered by water.

When I checked my signal strength, I always had 5 bars. I did eventually find one small area where I could call back
up to the room... But when I went there a 2nd time to make a call, I got the "call drop" result again.

The odd thing is that the other phones I was trying to reach never had the problem I had. Definitely not the blackberrys
or android. And the other tracfone (LG 500g) didn't really have any issues either. It appeared to be just my LG 800g.
Indeed, I was teacher, at least for awhile -- held the rank of professor at the University of Southeastern Philippines where I taught graduate engineering courses part time. Paid all of the equivalent of $100 a month, which barely covered my visual aid expenses. I was already well retired, and needed something useful to do, so money wasn't the issue -- it was something satisfying and enjoyable to do. I had moved to the Philippines to marry a pretty Filipina many years my junior, and decide to stay there with her. It was a good life, but we came back to the states after several years so our two young daughters would know what America was like. Not sure that was a good move, since it is so much more expensive here in the US. To be fair, the infrastructure is much better here, and the government much less corrupt -- well, at least it used to be.

But back to your signal problem -- It's been more than twenty years since I visited Disney in Orlando Florida. I think there was no Boardwalk back then, at least I don't remember one. The area no doubt has expanded greatly. If memory serves me right, there are a lot of tall metal structures around. Whether that is important or not depends on where the cell towers/antennas are located. The interfering structure doesn't have to be close to you -- it could be close to the cell tower, out of your sight. But usually there are so many signal receiver/broadcast points that if one doesn't work, another will pick up the signal and repeat it.

There are websites on the internet which will display all the known cell towers and cell antennas in an area (Try http://www.antennasearch.com). If you input the Orlando area, you will find dozens, if not hundreds of cell antennas and towers blanketing the area. With so many broadcast points, there are bound to be interference zones where the signals cancel each other. It is also possible that some unknown a peice of electronic equipment is malfunctioning or poorly shielded so that it is broadcasting interfering signal frequencies to some areas.

When comparing one cell phone to another, you have to call on each from the very same spot where the LG 800G was having problems. Then two questions come up:

1) Do the other phones you are calling with have the same carrier? If not, then you would likely be pinging different cell towers, which would explain why one was successful and the other was not.

2) If all the phones have the same carrier, then is there something about the LG 800G's antenna juxta-positioned in your hand or on your cheek that is interfering with the signal -- perhaps jewelry or dental work? If this were the case, then it would occur almost anywhere, and the solution might be to re-position how you hold the phone. Even facing in a different direction might make a difference. Using a headset while the phone is in your pocket or held away from your face may help. Also, cell phones usually get the best reception when they are held vertical, and the poorest when they are held horizontal.

Well, all of this doesn't necessarily solve your Disney Boardwalk reception problem, but it may help you narrow the suspect causes, and potential solutions for the next occurrence. The wonder of cell phone technology is that they work so well, given all the potential problems that can interfere with the signal.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Just checked out TracFone and Net10 websites. Both are offering the LG800G.
However, when I enter my zip code I get the following alert:

We're sorry. TRACFONE is not supported in the ZIP code you have entered.
Please enter a different ZIP code to check availability in other areas

I get this no matter what phone I choose... I wonder what gives?

Adlie

DoctorM, your posts are always so interesting :) If you don't mind sharing, where did you earn your degree(s)?
Did you study here in the US?

If you haven't been to Disney in over 20 years, you'd never recognize it lol! It's incredibly different now.
You really should make a trip there.. you'd be quite surprised. ;-)

As to the carriers, 3 of the 4 phones were on AT&T. The 2 tracfones and 1 blackberry were on AT&T and the
other phone was on Verizon (which also happened to be the only phone I *could* reach when I tried to make
repeated calls). Not for nothing, but when Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne roared through here, Verizon was
the only cell service available after the storms passed through. But I digress.

Interference was most likely the problem, because I don't seem to have any trouble with it otherwise.
Overall, I'm really enjoying the phone.

In regards to your last post, I checked the Tracfone website to see if my zip code still worked.
It seems to be working fine.

Adlie

Grrrr... this bugs me.. :-/

I just bought my phone (from Target) a few weeks ago. Now, TF is selling it for the same price WITH the triple minutes.

Grrrr...

Posted Image

desertdude

Grrrr... I did the same thing. Bought one from their website 3 weeks ago with double minutes.
Now it's triple minutes! .. Why was I in such a hurry? .. You just can't win.

Adlie

desertdude
September 28, 2011, 12:04 pm
Grrrr... I did the same thing. Bought one from their website 3 weeks ago with double minutes.
It's irritating, isn't it? ^o)

JimmyJames

desertdude
September 28, 2011, 12:04 pm
Same deal here. I got mine two weeks ago... I guess I can comfort myself slightly in the knowledge that I didn't
pay full price for it, but still, that's really annoying.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Adlie
September 28, 2011, 5:34 am
Grrrr... this bugs me.. :-/

I just bought my phone (from Target) a few weeks ago. Now, TF is selling it for the same price WITH the triple minutes.

Grrrr...

Posted Image
I'm so glad TracFone brought the LG 800G back on line, as I think it is the best phone for the price in their line up.
The more I use it, the more I like it. I have yet to find anything wrong with my older (V10d) models.
Three are TMFL, and the oldest is DMFL. I hope TracFone comes out with a TMFL card in the near future.

As regards my education -- All here in the US: La Tech (BSCE), UTA (MSME), UT (MSE), CCU (PhD).

pjonthemount

The phones are returnable... at least at some stores.

I just got two from Amazon a couple of weeks ago... TMFL, one year of service and 1200 minutes for $110.

Now, on a different note, has anyone successfully used the 8GB card with this phone?
I thought I saw this in one or two of the posts.
The 4 gig and 8 gig are about the same price anymore, so it would be nice if the 8 did work.

JimmyJames

To be honest, I'm not even sure I'd want to put that much on my 800g, assuming we're talking mostly about music.
I've got about 3gb of music on mine, and it already takes forever to load the mp3 player.
I can't imagine how long it would take with 8gb.

Adlie

I agree with you DoctorM, I'm really enjoying the LG 800g as well... Our two TF's are on the monthly value plan,
so a TMFL card wouldn't help us. (I have to say, I am envious of the TMFL one that TF is selling now). Phooey :(

Just curious, does the CE in BSCE stand for civil engineering? Chemical? Am I correct in believing the ME stands
for Mechanical Engineering? CCU has got me stumped though. :) My nephew's degree is in "CE". Which, in his
case, stands for ceramic engineer.

My sister-in-law has her degrees in electrical engineering. She used to sit on the board of the ASME.
My degrees are in teaching, but more along the lines of Educational Psychology and Fine Arts.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Adlie
September 29, 2011, 10:44 pm
I agree with you DoctorM, I'm really enjoying the LG 800g as well... Our two TF's are on the monthly value plan,
so a TMFL card wouldn't help us. (I have to say, I am envious of the TMFL one that TF is selling now). Phooey :(

Just curious, does the CE in BSCE stand for civil engineering? Chemical? Am I correct in believing the ME stands
for Mechanical Engineering? CCU has got me stumped though. :) My nephew's degree is in "CE". Which, in his

My sister-in-law has her degrees in electrical engineering. She used to sit on the board of the ASME.
My degrees are in teaching, but more along the lines of Educational Psychology and Fine Arts.
It is civil engineering, but I think this is not the proper forum for waving credentials. There is nothing in my educational
background or experience that qualifies me to comment on cell phones any more than anyone else here, credentialed
or not.

I have my own website where I wax profound thoughts on all manner of issues that interest me (www.transcend7.com),
as well as my pedigrees. But here on the Turk Forums, I am just another guest (with maybe too much time on my hands)
who experiments with the magic little cell phone and reports what I find, because I enjoy that kind of thing.

Adlie

DoctorM
September 30, 2011, 11:26 am
Adlie
September 29, 2011, 10:44 pm

It is civil engineering, but I think this is not the proper forum for waving credentials. There is nothing in my educational
background or experience that qualifies me to comment on cell phones any more than anyone else here, credentialed
or not.

I have my own website where I wax profound thoughts on all manner of issues that interest me (www.transcend7.com),
as well as my pedigrees. But here on the Turk Forums, I am just another guest (with maybe too much time on my hands)
who experiments with the magic little cell phone and reports what I find, because I enjoy that kind of thing.
I was merely curious. Sorry.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I was at one of my many Walmart Stores today, and I saw this phone special out on the rack...
* The Net10 LG 800g ($50) now coming with a Free 4GB Micro SD card.
* I had my iFone (ex124g) on me, so I decided to take a picture of it - so there you go if interested.
* Ps: just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted info or helped out on this phone topic.. ;)

Posted Image

Picture provided by Turk and his iFone B-)

Adlie

Thanks for posting that Turk. :)

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Turk
October 2, 2011, 1:29 am
* I was at one of my many Walmart Stores today, and I saw this phone special out on the rack...
* I had my iFone (ex124g) on me, so I decided to take a picture of it - so there you go if interested.
* Ps: just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted info or helped out on this phone topic.. ;)
Not that I want them, but I wonder if the Twitter, Google, or Facebook apps shown on the screen in the
picture are downloadable to older LG 800G's, or are only available on the new LG 800G's?

JimmyJames

DoctorM
October 4, 2011, 4:44 am
Turk
Not that I want them, but I wonder if the Twitter, Google, or Facebook apps shown on the screen in the
picture are downloadable to older LG 800G's, or are only available on the new LG 800G's?
I wasn't even aware that you could add widgets to the home screen that aren't given as original options.
Is that possible, and if so, how?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

JimmyJames
October 4, 2011, 1:35 pm
DoctorM
October 4, 2011, 4:44 am
Turk
I wasn't even aware that you could add widgets to the home screen that aren't given as original options.
Is that possible, and if so, how?
That's a good question -- are they on the new phones as native apps?
Or can be they added, and if added, will they show up on the main screen, or in the transfer tray?

JimmyJames

DoctorM
October 4, 2011, 4:42 pm
Or can be they added, and if added, will they show up on the main screen, or in the transfer tray?
I'm kind of wondering if they haven't put those on there just to promote the fact that the phone is capable
of running apps for those services ... I'll bet that you can't actually put them on your home screen.

sweetiepoosmom

JimmyJames
October 4, 2011, 6:55 pm
DoctorM
October 4, 2011, 4:42 pm
I'm kind of wondering if they haven't put those on there just to promote the fact that the phone is capable
of running apps for those services ... I'll bet that you can't actually put them on your home screen.
With respect to the this issue: on the front panel left hand side of the clamshell box it says: APP CAPABLE,
there are 3 symbols (facebook, google and twitter), App download requires purchase of additional memory.

JimmyJames

Right... I know it is app capable, but the question is: Can you put widgets for those apps on the home screen?
I have a brand new 800g, and I don't think you can actually do what they picture on that box a few posts back.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* Wow ... from all the posts, I guess they were right when they said: "a picture is worth a thousand words". (lol)

* I don't have the LG 800g, but I think the Apps, on the phone screen, in the picture, is just for promotional use only.

* I think they put the App Icons on the screen to show customers walking by that this phone can use Facebook, etc, etc...

* Therefore, I don't think you can use those App Icons as widgets on the home screen, just saying, but I could be wrong.

Turk App --> B-)

gdsmit1

So, anyone know if the triple minutes on the Tracfone version of the LG 800g will make it into stores?
Or are things like triple minutes the type of thing that they keep to get people to order directly from their page?

JimmyJames

gdsmit1
October 5, 2011, 12:01 pm
So, anyone know if the triple minutes on the Tracfone version of the LG 800g will make it into stores?
Or are things like triple minutes the type of thing that they keep to get people to order directly from their page?
You can get a TMFL 800g with 1200 minutes from Amazon, but I don't think they usually sell the TMFL phones in stores.

yonder

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and am not sure I'm posting this in the right spot as it looks like a reply rather than a new post,
so with any necessary apologies, here goes. I stumbled across this site a couple of weeks ago after purchasing an
LG 800G to replace an old cheapie, tracfone I've had for years... This site looks like a pretty good place for info.

Anyway, so far I like the new phone (LG 800G), have not encountered any of the text message/picture problems
others have had and have learned most of the functions to get me up to speed. I do have one problem though:
the camera stopped working last week. It once worked but now when I tap the camera icon, all I get is that greyed
out initial camera screen before it should go to to camera view port screen. I can back out of that by pressing the
end or back key. Sometimes I can get it to click when I tap where the shutter button used to be, but in that case it
freezes up and the only way to get out of that is to shut the phone down and back on again and no photo is stored
even though I hear it click. I've tried removing/replacing the battery, the sd card; tried resetting/clearing the phone
and about anything else I can think of with no luck. On Monday I contacted tracfone and after talking to a pleasant
CSR with understandable English, was told they would send a (hopefully) new 800G with which I would exchange
the bad for the good.

My questions are: 1) Has anybody had this camera problem before and/or have a solution to it, and 2) Is this the
beginning of a long drawn-out headache with tracfone? .. any thoughts?

Thanks

DoctorM
Member Avatar

yonder
October 7, 2011, 1:40 pm
Hi, I'm a newbie here, and am not sure I'm posting this in the right spot as it looks like a reply rather than a new post,
so with any necessary apologies, here goes. I stumbled across this site a couple of weeks ago after purchasing an
LG 800G to replace an old cheapie, tracfone I've had for years... This site looks like a pretty good place for info.

Anyway, so far I like the new phone (LG 800G), have not encountered any of the text message/picture problems
others have had and have learned most of the functions to get me up to speed. I do have one problem though:
the camera stopped working last week. It once worked but now when I tap the camera icon, all I get is that greyed
out initial camera screen before it should go to to camera view port screen. I can back out of that by pressing the
end or back key. Sometimes I can get it to click when I tap where the shutter button used to be, but in that case it
freezes up and the only way to get out of that is to shut the phone down and back on again and no photo is stored
even though I hear it click. I've tried removing/replacing the battery, the sd card; tried resetting/clearing the phone
and about anything else I can think of with no luck. On Monday I contacted tracfone and after talking to a pleasant
CSR with understandable English, was told they would send a (hopefully) new 800G with which I would exchange
the bad for the good.

My questions are: 1) Has anybody had this camera problem before and/or have a solution to it, and 2) Is this the
beginning of a long drawn-out headache with tracfone? .. any thoughts? ...... Thanks.
First I have heard of a camera problem.
Looks like TracFone is doing right by you in sending a new phone.
I have the older software version S/W V10d, and never experienced any problems with it.

You will probably get the new software version S/W V10e, which supposedly cures all the old
problems that a few people reported.

If you want to check the S/W versions SETTINGS/PHONE/INFORMATION/DEVICE INFORMATION,
then under S/W VERSION is the software version. But I doubt the software version was involved.
Sounds like a rare manufacturing defect.

The LG 800G is a great little phone, in my opinion, and TracFone has been good about attending to
problems reported, mostly by sending out new phones. When the messaging issues were first brought
up, TracFone exchanged them for the Motorola EX124G. I tried out the Moto EX124G, but I sent it back.
In my opinion, the LG 800G is a better phone, and you will be happier with it.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

DoctorM,
Since you had the EX124G and now have the LG 800G could you tell me if the Media Player is any better
on the LG 800G. Music organization on the EX124G is surprisingly bad as I'm sure you noticed. My wife is
moving from her LG 420G to the LG 800G soon and was interested...
I'm staying with my EX124G, it gets better as time goes by, at least until the LG 505C becomes available.

Thank you.

JimmyJames

yonder
October 7, 2011, 1:40 pm
beginning of a long drawn-out headache with tracfone? .. any thoughts? ........ Thanks.
I've only been using my 800g for about 3 weeks, but I have not had any trouble with the camera at all.
In fact, I used both the still and video camera functions earlier today. If you look through this entire thread
I believe that you'll find that no one else has reported that problem. I also don't remember seeing anyone
report that problem in the user reviews on Amazon (all of which I read when I was trying to decide between
the 800g and the EX124g). ... Sounds like you may have just gotten a dud phone.

yonder

Thanks... Yep, I've had mine about 2-1/2 weeks and went through most of this thread (upon finding it) and
have not heard about this problem either. I had also checked the SW version to see if I was susceptible to
those messaging problems and discovered I had the newer "10e" software. I do like the phone so far, and
will wait till I get the new one TF said they would send, try it out and hope for the best... Thanks again.

Randysea

I have a pretty long contact list on a Palm. It would take a rediculous amount of time to manually enter it,
particularly since the 800g doesn't use QWERTY for contacts.

Is there any way to transfer my list to the 800g? I could convert it to a comma separated or tab separated
file and put it on a mini SD card.

I'd be willing to use a app for contacts if that was the way to do it.

Thanks.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

BobbyLee
October 7, 2011, 6:07 pm
DoctorM,
Since you had the EX124G and now have the LG 800G could you tell me if the Media Player is any better
on the LG 800G. Music organization on the EX124G is surprisingly bad as I'm sure you noticed. My wife is
moving from her LG 420G to the LG 800G soon and was interested...
I'm staying with my EX124G, it gets better as time goes by, at least until the LG 505C becomes available.

Thank you.
The EX124G does have some superior features, balanced out by some inferior features when compared to the Lg 800G.

I liked the music player on the EX124G, especially the REVERB setting, which to me made the sound much richer.
Not that the LG 800G was bad at all -- I think it is very good... On both music players, the sound detail was clearer
than on my computer's 5.1 sound system.

I don't remember now about sorting according to artist, album, song title, etc., on the EX124G.. On the LG 800G,
the sorting is good, BUT you have to remove the track number from all the song titles in order for sorting to work.
If you are having sorting problems on the EX124G, look at the song titles. If there are any track numbers in the song
titles, you may have to remove them before the sort will work. I just don't remember the detail on the EX124G sorting
now.

The other thing about music is that the LG 800G would play every song I put on it except M4P. The EX124G will not
play m4P either, and in addition, it would not play some of the songs the LG 800G would play, but I never figured out
why.

All in all, I think the only thing I liked better on the EX 124G over the LG 800G in regard to music was the REVERB
setting, which the LG 800G does not have. If your wife doesn't use the REVERB setting, or does not like it, then she
probably will like the LG 800G.

Finally, I think both units have great sound -- provided a high quality set of earphones are used.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

Randysea
October 7, 2011, 10:13 pm
I have a pretty long contact list on a Palm. It would take a rediculous amount of time to manually enter it,
particularly since the 800g doesn't use QWERTY for contacts.

Is there any way to transfer my list to the 800g? I could convert it to a comma separated or tab separated
file and put it on a mini SD card.

I'd be willing to use a app for contacts if that was the way to do it. ....... Thanks.
I'm not familiar with the Palm, but from what I read, it seems to have Bluetooth. The LG 800G supports file transfer by
Bluetooth, including contacts. I'm not sure about contact format compatibility, but you might try sending your contacts
to the LG 800G by Bluetooth.

First you have to pair the Palm to the LG 800G. This is a four step process:
1) Name your LG 800G so you can differentiate it later when several LG 800G's may be in Bluetooth range.
On the LG 800G, tap MENU/BLUETOOTH/OPTIONS/SETTINGS/MY DEVICE NAME.
Change the name to something like Randy's LG 800G.
NOTE: the Bluetooth icon is on the second page of the two-page menu screen.

2) Turn Bluetooth on. On the LG 800G tap MENU/BLUETOOTH and tap on the I/O slide button so the button
is blue with an I on it indicating Bluetooth is on.

3) Make the LG 800G visible to other Bluetooth devices. On the same screen as above (MENU/BLUETOOTH),
tap the OPTIONS icon on the lower left screen and tap SETTINGS/MY DEVICE VISIBILITY/VISIBLE FOR THREE
MINUTES (a red check mark should appear).

4) Then on your Palm, do whatever you have to do to search for Bluetooth devices, and select Randy's LG 800G
(or whatever you named it.) The LG 800G will ask you if it should allow the connection. Tap YES or ALLOW.

5) Now you are ready to send a file. Both units must have Bluetooth on. Somewhere on the Palm contacts options
menu should be send all contacts (or the equivalent. )

Good luck. I hope this helps.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 7, 2011, 10:37 pm
I don't remember now about sorting according to artist, album, song title, etc., on the EX124G.. On the LG 800G,
the sorting is good, BUT you have to remove the track number from all the song titles in order for sorting to work.
If you are having sorting problems on the EX124G, look at the song titles. If there are any track numbers in the song
titles, you may have to remove them before the sort will work. I just don't remember the detail on the EX124G sorting
now.
DoctorM,
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't have thought the track number in the title would have mattered otherwise.
I'll delete them and see if it sorts better.

As for the M4Ps, I'm pretty sure that is the AAC format (Protected) that Apple uses and I would be surprised
if they could play on any device other than Apple products or outside the iTunes software without a conversion
program that would strip the protection off of it, not legally. That is why when I resort to buying from iTunes I
pay the little bit extra to get the unprotected versions.

I agree they both sound awesome and the best sounding headphones I've found are a pair of Sony earbuds that
come in a holder you can wind them up into for storage. They only cost around 9 - 12 dollars, claim a frequency
response of 20-20K Hz, and you can find them at most Walmarts and Targets. Every other headset I've tried sounds
muffled compared to those and I've tried a lot of them. They must have a better treble bass frequency response
at least for my hearing curve because everything sounds great/live. The best headset (w/mic) I've found are is the
new Jabra Chill headset which sounds about as good as the Sony earbuds for music (claimed freq response 19-20K Hz),
I bought at Kmart for $20.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm off to delete those track numbers from the song titles.

Member Avatar

JimmyJames
September 26, 2011, 11:15 am
September 26, 2011, 11:09 am

I haven't seen anything like that myself, but please keep us updated on what happens if you follow up on it.
I'm curious to know exactly what that means.
I'm still trying on this update. Whatever it is, its a 24 hour thing. I call, they give me a bunch of numbers
to punch in then a ticket number and I have to call back in 24 hours to see if the update worked.
The first 2 times the update didn't work and this last time they couldn't find my ticket number.
Unfortunately I have to call this in instead of this being an on-line update.

And 3 phones to update. :'(

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Is the back of the LG 800G normal hard plastic or is it a rubbery material like on the EX124G?

I ask because I would like to order a Skinit cover for my wife's new 800G before it arrives and
Skinit covers don't work well on the rubbery material... Thanks.

Member Avatar

ABS plastic.

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Zudozizzi Ninja Spaminator,
Thank you.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

BobbyLee
October 8, 2011, 1:11 pm
Is the back of the LG 800G normal hard plastic or is it a rubbery material like on the EX124G?

I ask because I would like to order a Skinit cover for my wife's new 800G before it arrives and
Skinit covers don't work well on the rubbery material... Thanks.
It is hard plastic - not rubbery.

Hiiker

How can I make my LG 800G save photos to my external memory? When I take photos they are saved to
the internal memory and I can't access them with my data cable. I have already reset my primary memory
storage to EXTERNAL MEMORY (MENU/SETTINGS/PHONE/MEMORY INFO/PRIMARY STORAGE/
EXTERNAL MEMORY) and have also tried resetting internal memory (MENU/SETTINGS/PHONE/MEMORY
INFO/INTERNAL COMMON MEMORY/RESET).

I have a 4GB MicroSD card in my LG 800G and it works just fine. It is recognized by my phone and I can put
mp3 files and photos on it with my data cable from my computer. It plays mp3 music without any problems.

Thanks for your help, Hiker

Edit: Resolution
Figured it out! I wanted to see what would happen when the internal memory got full so I started a video
and just let it run until the internal memory was maxed out... When I tried to take the very next photo the
phone said, "Internal memory full, switching to external memory." I then went back and deleted the video
clogging up the internal memory and now the phone is still putting photos and videos on the external memory.
Apparently setting "Primary Memory Storage External" wasn't enough. I had to overflow the internal memory
to get the phone to make the switch. Hope this helps others that may encounter this problem.

JimmyJames

Hiiker
October 10, 2011, 6:45 pm
How can I make my LG 800G save photos to my external memory? When I take photos they are saved to
the internal memory and I can't access them with my data cable. I have already reset my primary memory
EXTERNAL MEMORY) and have also tried resetting internal memory (MENU/SETTINGS/PHONE/MEMORY

I have a 4GB MicroSD card in my LG 800G and it works just fine. It is recognized by my phone and I can put
mp3 files and photos on it with my data cable from my computer. It plays mp3 music without any problems.

Figured it out! I wanted to see what would happen when the internal memory got full so I started a video
and just let it run until the internal memory was maxed out... When I tried to take the very next photo the
phone said, "Internal memory full, switching to external memory." I then went back and deleted the video
clogging up the internal memory and now the phone is still putting photos and videos on the external memory.
Apparently setting "Primary Memory Storage External" wasn't enough. I had to overflow the internal memory
to get the phone to make the switch. Hope this helps others that may encounter this problem.
That's odd. All it took for me to get mine working on external memory was changing the primary storage to
external memory... I'm glad you got it worked out, but it shouldn't have needed that video to move it over.

DoctorM
Member Avatar

JimmyJames
October 10, 2011, 8:22 pm
Hiiker
October 10, 2011, 6:45 pm

That's odd. All it took for me to get mine working on external memory was changing the primary storage to
external memory... I'm glad you got it worked out, but it shouldn't have needed that video to move it over.
Try this:
turn the unit sideways (landscape)
Tap CAMERA/SETTINGS(settings is a little wheel with bumps on it)/cursor down to page 2 of 3 (2/3) on the
right side of the touch screen/ the upper middle block on page 2 is titled SELECT STORAGE/ click on it until
it changes to the image of a microSD card (more of less)/ then tap OK on the upper right of the touch screen.

And there you go.

JimmyJames

OK, I'm having a new issue that I could use a little guidance on. Today I took some video that I wanted to then
move to my computer. I tried choosing the file and sending it to the computer using Bluetooth, but it would not
connect to the computer.

I was able to access the phone's memory from the computer using the Bluetooth and transfer files that way as
long as they were on the handset's memory, but it would not let me access the external memory, where most
of the files that I wanted to move are stored... Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

DoctorM
Member Avatar

JimmyJames
October 14, 2011, 6:19 pm
OK, I'm having a new issue that I could use a little guidance on. Today I took some video that I wanted to then
move to my computer. I tried choosing the file and sending it to the computer using Bluetooth, but it would not
connect to the computer.

I was able to access the phone's memory from the computer using the Bluetooth and transfer files that way as
long as they were on the computer's memory, but it would not let me access the external memory, where most
of the files that I wanted to move are stored... Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
Hmmm! Just tried the same thing with both photos and videos. Got the same result. Bluetooth request from the
LG 800G was not able to connect to the PC, though both are paired to each other. May be a security or firewall
feature on the PC. ...... I'll have to look into this further. Might take a day or two.

Michael L.
Member Avatar

PLEASE advise/help me, I'm a NEWBIE Cell phone person and just received my NEW LG 800G and prior
to activating I am trying to figure out what things to do and how to do them NOW - in case doing them after
activation might cost me minutes.

My #1 BUGaBOO right now is in the Client/Contact/ADD feature..... I cannot figure out HOW to use that
Keyboard to enter/spell names....for example, yesterday I initially was trying to add a name that started
with "J" BUT everytime I would press capital "J" I would get a cap "K" and then when I decided to try the
last name which started with a cap "E" .... all I could get was the "D"... I just tried again and I was able to
type in the cap "J" but then the next letter I need is a small "e"......I cannot get past the small "d" to the "e".

Is my 800G broken or is there a TRICK that I cannot figure out? ... Cannot find ANY instructions.

#2 In Setting I thought I'd find instructions for setting the Date and Time????

Please also tell me what else you'd suggest I do prior to Activation???

Thank YOU, michael :'(

DoctorM
Member Avatar

DoctorM
October 14, 2011, 8:35 pm
JimmyJames
October 14, 2011, 6:19 pm
connect to the computer.

long as they were on the computer's memory, but it would not let me access the external memory, where most
Hmmm! Just tried the same thing with both photos and videos. Got the same result. Bluetooth request from the
LG 800G was not able to connect to the PC, though both are paired to each other. May be a security or firewall
feature on the PC. ...... I'll have to look into this further. Might take a day or two.
UPDATE:

This was a tricky one. I am operating my PC under Windows XP - SP3.

1. It is not a firewall problem. I checked by turning off my virus protection and firewall, and got the same results.
2. It is not an LG 800G problem.
3. It is a PC issue. Apparently you have to have the PC's Bluetooth icon in your notification tray (the icon tray on
the START bar, usually at the extreme right of the computer screen).

You put it there by going to CONTROL PANEL, double click on the BLUETOOTH DEVICES icon, click on the
OPTIONS tab, put a check mark in the box for "Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area" ... Also make
sure a check mark is in the box for "Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer." You can also check
the box for "Notify me ..." You do not need to have the "Turn discovery on" checked. Then click OK.

Then check to make sure the Bluetooth icon is in the notification tray. Then RIGHT CLICK (not left click) on the
Bluetooth icon in the Notification tray. A submenu pops up with one of the options being RECEIVE A FILE.
Click on this option.

The PC is now ready to receive a Bluetooth from a paired device. On your cell phone, select the file you want to send.
It should send ok now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Phone Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.