Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
* Welcome to Turk Forums -- the #1 TracFone & Net10 Forum in the World.

* This is also the Official Site of the World Famous Holy Scroll of Promotion Codes.
.. the #1 Tracfone Promotion Code List on the internet - 7 years in a row - Woooooooo!

* You are viewing this Forum as a Non-Member -- this means you have Limited Access
.. to some areas of the board -- and there are No Features that you can see or use here.

* However -- by signing up -- you'll be able to witness the Holy Scroll in all its Glory!
.. and you will have access to all the Members Only sections of the Forums as well.

* Once inside, you can use all the Member only features such as Posting in the Forums,
.. using Promo Codes from the Holy Scroll, customizing your Profile, and so much more!

* So what are you waiting for?! - Registration is very simple - fast - and completely Free!
.. if you're already a true Turkamaniac - just Log on in to have access to all the Forums.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tracfone now charging a $1 for E-911 fees?
Topic Started: July 23, 2011, 1:00 am (2,803 Views)
Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* I was at one of my many Walmart stores yesterday to buy an airtime card for my phone, and guess what?!

* I saw on my sales receipt a $1 (one dollar) E-911 fee added to my purchase? - So I asked the worker what is that?

* He said starting a few days ago, Tracfone/Net10 (and other prepaid companies to I think) are now charging this fee.

* A one dollar - 911 fee on all phone purchases and airtime card purchases from now on, he said.

* So everytime you buy something you'll be charged an extra dollar for a 911 fee - has anyone else heard of this yet?

* Just throwing that out there so you won't be somewhat shocked if this happens to you at any store you buy something.

T9U1R1K B-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BobbyLee
Member Avatar

Turk,
I doubt if Tracfone is really adding that $1 since it was a separate charge on your receipt.
It sounds more like a local E-911 tax/fee versus a Tracfone charge. The only other references
I've found to implement a E-911 surcharge were at a couple State levels, not Federal.
I know Iowa was pushing hard for a E-911 surcharge, don't know if it ever passed.

ADDED:
Sorry for the bad news Turk, I'm right and you're screwed.
It's a Pennsylvania surcharge/tax/extortion, not a Tracfone charge.
Thank your politicians.

Click this Google search link: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=e911+one+dollar+pennsylvania

Click on the "E-911 Surcharge - Notice of Tax Change for 2011" PDF link to see the whole thing,
it should be top of the list.

The PDF (from the Pennsylvania Dept of Revenue) that opens starts with the following:

IMPORTANT NOTICE OF TAX CHANGE FOR 2011
Effective July 1, 2011, pre-paid telecommunication services and wireless telephones will
be subject to a pre-paid wireless Emergency-911 surcharge (pre-paid E-911 surcharge)
at the rate of one dollar per retail transaction. This surcharge is collected on each retail
transaction regardless of whether the service or pre-paid wireless telephone is purchased
in person, by telephone, through the Internet or by any other method. The pre-paid E-911
surcharge is to be charged and collected by the retailer in addition to any other charges or
fees and is not to be included for purposes of calculating sales tax.

KLM
Member Avatar

Hmm...don't live in PA (Enjoying he heatwave by the way?) but I recall on one of my phones that any e-911 fees
were included. That was Probably Virgin... But at least if you live in PA that might be subject change. :D

Anyway, if one State does it, they all will, and soon.

If you have to buy a card every 30 days, there goes another $12 a year......

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
* BobbyLee .... thanks for looking up all that info for me ... and you're right, it's now a PA tax. ^o)

* "I can't believe they did it, they actually did it ..... damn you politicians - damn you all to hell! "

* Can anyone guess the movie that quote is from above? ... I actually used it a few times on here before.

* KLM .... you are probably right, once one State does something (stupid), the rest will follow...

* Ps: it is hot as ever up here in my area of PA - in the mid 90's for the last 4-5 days (the heat makes Turk grumpy)(lol) ;)

Turk, PA B-)

millept

Texas started charging a 2% E911 fee last year on phones and airtime cards. (but not at the VA canteen stores!)

AKmaro1
Member Avatar

Turk
July 24, 2011, 12:44 am
* BobbyLee .... thanks for looking up all that info for me ... and you're right, it's now a PA tax. ^o)

* "I can't believe they did it, they actually did it ..... damn you politicians - damn you all to hell! "

* Can anyone guess the movie that quote is from above? ... I actually used it a few times on here before.

* KLM .... you are probably right, once one State does something (stupid), the rest will follow...

* Ps: it is hot as ever up here in my area of PA - in the mid 90's for the last 4-5 days (the heat makes Turk grumpy)(lol) ;)

Turk, PA B-)
I'll have to look myself for this charge the next time I have to buy airtime for my phone.

But just wanted to chime in to Turk's quote.
I believe that would be from the end scene in the original "Planet of the Apes" with Charlton Heston.
Good Quote Turk!

And yes, it's been pretty warm up here in Erie too! .. Thank God for Central A/C is all I have to say! :D
I could use a cool down anytime.....

KLM
Member Avatar

Yeah, next time I buy an airtime card, which will be 50 days from now, or less, I will double check my receipt to
see if Fla. has slipped an e911 fee in there as well.

(Extended heatwave) Hey, Florida is happy to spread the 'summer love' to ya...
Maybe in return you'll send us some snow 6 months from now?

mharris127

In Michigan any credit card renewal of Tracfone, Net10, et. al. has a 911 fee based on the number of minutes you
are purchasing... On my Net10 line, it is 38 cents a month. Sales tax is also charged at the rate of six per cent.
This is the first time I have heard of it being charged at the store, though.

Turk
Member Avatar
TuRk WoRld OrdEr
AKmaro1:

But just wanted to chime in to Turk's quote.
I believe that would be from the end scene in the original "Planet of the Apes" with Charlton Heston.
Good Quote Turk!
* Ok, good answer there AKmaro1 .... yes, you are correct with the movie quote ... congrats!

* But, BobbyLee sent me a PM with the correct answer also, right before you answered the question.

* The prize for the winner was 2 plane tickets to Hawaii - for a 2 week, all expenses paid vacation for 2 people!

* But since you both got the answer right, I don't know who should get the grand prize? (hmmmmm .. :unsure: :-/ )

* I guess the only fair thing to do is for me to use those tickets to take my girlfriend to Hawaii ... but don't tell my wife! (lol)

* Aloha AKmaro1 and BobbyLee ..... I'll send you guys a postcard .. ;)

Turk Island B-)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tracfone & Net10 Topics Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Copyright © 2009-2014 Turk • Turk Forums. All Rights Reserved.