Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Abra; Just need a pic.
Topic Started: Jul 25 2008, 12:12 AM (1,281 Views)
Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

Posted Image

Code:

Stat Base Min- Min Max Max+
HP---25---N/A--19--22--N/A
Atk--20---7----8---11---12
Def--15---7----8---11---12
SpA--105--15---17--20---22
Spd--55---10---12--15--16
Spd--90---13---15--18--19

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move1: Psychic
move2: Hidden Power Fighting
move3: Shadow Ball
move4: Energy Ball
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
evs: 240 SpA / 200 Spe
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Abra is the Little Cup equivalent of Deoxys-A; if he's allowed in play unscathed, you must predict perfectly or you'll lose at least one Pokémon each time Abra comes in. When I say "perfectly", I mean it; if you don't switch Murkrow into Psychic, Misdreavus/Gastly into Hidden Power Fighting, Munchlax into Shadow Ball, or something resistant into Energy Ball, you're losing a Pokémon. Modest Choice Specs Hidden Power Fighting will OHKO neutral-natured Munchlax and all Murkrow. Modest Choice Specs Energy Ball is a OHKO on all Chinchou. Shadow Ball is a guaranteed OHKO on Misdreavus even after a Calm Mind. </p>

<p>However, all of this power comes with a price; Abra is <b>VERY</b> vulnerable to a revenge killing by Murkrow. After a kill, Murkrow comes in and ties speed. Sucker Punch will always OHKO Abra and will always go first. Pursuit only goes first if Murkrow is Jolly and Abra is Modest, but it will OHKO regardless of whether or not he switches out. It is highly recommended that you scout for Murkrow before sending out Abra. Let him wreck havoc in the late game once you have enough information to predict well.</p>

<p>Unlike many other fast Pokémon, Modest is recommended here. Without it, Abra has a good chance of not 2HKOing Bronzor and Munchlax with Oran Berry factored in and he'll only tie Murkrow anyway. With Modest, HP Fighting might OHKO Munchlax and 2HKO Bronzor. Timid is recommended on sets where you have no chance of this, such as all sets below, or if you for whatever reason don't care about Bronzor.</p>

[SET]
name: All Out Attacker
move1: Psychic
move2: Hidden Power Fighting
move3: Shadow Ball
move4: Energy Ball
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While you lose the power to 2HKO everything in Little Cup by switching to Life Orb, a Timid nature and the freedom to switch moves makes Abra a much more versatile late game sweeper. Combine this with Abra's natural 19 HP (allowing only 1 HP of LO recoil damage) and it's as if Abra was built for this role. The only thing stopping Abra from completely dominating is the lack of a priority attack, which really holds him back. Focus Sash is there to let you get two hits in on something and makes Abra an okay lead.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute
move1: Substitute
move2: Psychic
move3: Hidden Power Fighting
move4: Shadow Ball / Calm Mind / Encore
item: Salac Berry
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>If you haven't noticed, Abra's defenses are so pathetic that Machop's Close Combat, a resisted attack, will always OHKO. Thus, if you ever leave yourself open to a hit you'll probably lose your Abra. That's where Substitute comes in. Use in on a Gastly switching out or something, and if you're faster enjoy your free 2 hits at them, enough to take down Munchlax. If you're slower, then you "only" get one free hit, but you're likely to OHKO everything in the Base 85 speed group and up anyway. </p>

<p>Calm Mind can be used here to set up for a sweep combined with the Salac Berry, but it's a really gimmicky option. If you're willing to take the risk, Encore can buy Abra some much-needed time to set up. Switch him in on Swords Dances or Calm Minds and Encore them. Charge Beam COULD work there, I guess, if Murkrow switches in and you want a boost as it just breaks your Sub with Sucker Punch.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Charge Beam will OHKO Murkrow and can net you a free Special Attack boost, which should pretty much guarantee a sweep with, say, Life Orb. Choice Scarf is a decent option, but Abra is in the second fastest speed tier in the game anyway. The only reason to run it is to outspeed other Scarfers, but people are likely to just use priority moves on Abra anyway.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Fire on the Specs set at first looks like a good option to 2HKO Bronzor, but then Abra lacks any move to hit Houndour with at all. In general, it's better to make sure there are no safe switch ins on Abra overall then to specialize at risk of having a 100% counter.</p>

[EVs]
<p>There is only one spread to run on Abra, whom should always be carrying HP Fighting: 240 SAtk / 200 Spd. The only thing up for debate is Modest or Timid nature. Modest is generally preferred on the Choice Specs set, while Timid is everywhere else.</p>

[OPINION]
<p>Abra is really a fascinating Pokémon. His offensive stats reach the point of ludicrousness; 22 Special Attack and 19 Speed (though not both at the same time) are fantastic. He can 2HKO everything in the game with this kind of power. All of this power comes at a cost, however, as Abra is easily one of the hardest Pokémon to use in Little Cup. There are very few physical attacks that won't OHKO Abra, with Knock Off from Makuhita even OHKOing. He has no priority moves and will always die to Pursuit from anything that gets it; if you mispredict with the Choice Specs set you've lost a Pokémon. He also has a lot of trouble switching in to any Pokémon. Revenge killing him is also hopelessly easy; the only priority move that might not OHKO him is Vacuum Wave. Diglett with Sucker Punch is the default response to Abra, and he normally can't do anything to stop certain death.</p>

<p>Overall, Abra is an extremely high-risk, high reward Pokémon. While many battlers will prefer the more balanced and dependable Misdreavus for their Special sweeping, Abra will always have a place in Little Cup as the most threatening Pokémon in the metagame, with more power than anything else. Underestimate him at your peril.</p>

[COUNTERS]
<p>There is no such thing as as Abra counter. You must outpredict him. For the Choice Specs set, Murkrow's been mentioned a few times, and for good reason. Murkrow usually outspeeds Abra, has priority Sucker Punch, and has Pursuit, which always OHKO. Sucker Punch Croagunk works similarly although can only switch in on Hidden Power Fighting or Energy Ball, but he can't Pursuit. Diglett can't switch in on anything but keeps Abra completely in check. Munchlax won't be 2HKO'd by anything other than Hidden Power Fighting (and Psychic sometimes) with Oran Berry and max / max + nature. He also has Pursuit. Bronzor is a good defensive switch in with that nice 4x Psychic resistance. Houndour sometimes carries Pursuit and is immune to Psychic and the occasional Hidden Power Fire.</p>

<p>The Substitute set, if for some reason you know it's coming, is beaten by just outpredicting and attacking. If worse comes to worst, Murkrow or Croagunk can revenge kill Abra once the Sub is gone.</p>
Edited by Chris, Sep 5 2008, 09:14 AM.
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Glad that's out of the way, how's the grammer?

Cooper

I cannot edit titles. I cannot do anything. Mod me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cooper
Member Avatar
Smiles are free

Haha Substitute. I honestly hadn't thought of that. But I really think that's more novelty than anything. Anyway, here's the stat chart I promised:

Code:

Stat Base Min- Min Max Max+
HP---25---N/A--19--22--N/A
Atk--20---7----8---11---12
Def--15---7----8---11---12
SpA--105--15---17--20---22
Spd--55---10---12--15--16
Spd--90---13---15--18--19

For the Specs set, I recommend making it an All-Out Attacker set and putting Life Orb as an option. Abra has 19 HP with no investment, so you'd get minimum recoil. Also, don't post 64 HP EVs. They don't do anything and might just confuse someone.
Seven Deadly Sins

Banded Gible 2HKOs pretty much everything with Outrage, and OHKOs most everything.

Dixie
Member Avatar
Back. Will see in the next week or so how much I can contribute.

Houndour and Bronzor are good counters. Bronzor is only 3HKOed by Shadow Ball (with Oran) and hurts with Gyro Ball. Also x4 resist to Psychic too.
Posted Image

Jonny Evans - Legend.

Seven Deadly Sins
Member Avatar
KD24 banned Tangela

Put HP Fire as an alternative over Energy Ball. HP Fire will 2HKO Bronzor, I do believe, which prevents Bronzor from being *as* crippling to Abra.
Kannon

SDS, Ice resists Water. Ground doesn't resist Rock.

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

SDS, if I do that then there's no HP Fighting and then Houndour actually becomes a true counter. If I run Focus Blast I'd be a true balla but Abra would miss

I'm pretty sure that the Specs set with Modest will 2HKO Bronzor but that no other set will.
Edited by Chris, Jul 25 2008, 12:34 PM.
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Cooper

Cooper
Member Avatar
Smiles are free

Not to mention that Abra doesn't learn Focus Blast.
Seven Deadly Sins

Banded Gible 2HKOs pretty much everything with Outrage, and OHKOs most everything.

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

I'm really happy with the analysis now. I put a lot of time into writing about Abra and I hope you guys enjoy reading it. Any other suggestions?
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Cooper

hellmonkey
Member Avatar
retiring soon

Mention Encore maybe? Abra is really fast, and likes to Encore SD/NP/CMs and proceed to boost himself. Or so I've done ._.

Murkrow>Abra, whatever you do. Not even Colbur Berry saved it
sdfsfsfdsfdsd
nothing

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

Encore is a decent idea yeah. Abra is already high-risk high-reward, and nothing's better than Encoring a Sucker Punch and Subbing up.
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Cooper

Dixie
Member Avatar

say thank you for the picture mr chris.
Posted Image

Jonny Evans - Legend.

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

That Abra looks constipated. But thank you!
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Cooper

hellmonkey
Member Avatar
retiring soon

If Abra is so frail, why not mention Sash as a lead? I can imagine a lead set being something like this:

Abra @ Focus Sash
Timid
Inner Focus
-Counter
-Taunt
-Psychic
-CM/Encore/HP Fighting

Counters Sucker Punches and Pursuits for an OHKO. Also counters Fake Out leads for an OHKO thanks to Inner Focus. Taunts sleep/SR leads. Encore could be nice if you accidentally reveal Counter and then something tries to set-up on you
sdfsfsfdsfdsd
nothing

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

Encore's probably better, but HP Fire could be useful for Bronzor. I'll work on it.
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Cooper

Dixie
Member Avatar

Focus Sash needs to be an option on the all out attacker.

Scarf needs a mention alongside Choice Specs, and not in OO, since there's a lot of stuff that ties with Abra can kill it.

You don't need to mention HP fighting 2HKOing Bronzor since Shadow Ball hits it harder. And Psychic hits Munchlax harder than HP fighting too.

Also look over the wording the Sub-set, "use in on" especially
Posted Image

Jonny Evans - Legend.

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

Psychic has 135 BP factoring in STAB. HP Fighting has 140 BP factoring in Super-Effectiveness. So aren't they pretty much the same?
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Cooper

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Diamond/Pearl Analyses Archive · Next Topic »
Add Reply