Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chimchar
Topic Started: Jul 3 2008, 07:20 PM (1,386 Views)
npchimcharftw
Member Avatar
Commander of the Flaming Monkeys
Posted Image

Code:

Stat Base Min- Min Max Max+
HP---44---N/A--20--24--N/A
Atk--58---10---12--15--16
Def--44---9----10--14--15
SpA--58---10---12--15--16
SpD--44---9----10--14--15
Spd--61---10---12--15--16

MixChar
@Life Orb

Brick Break
Flamethrower
Nasty Plot / ThunderPunch
Hidden Power Ice

Hasty
56 Atk / 212 SpA / 188 Spe / 4 SpD
HP IV: 11

Chimchar is capable of a role very similar to his big brother Infernape. Brick Break is a guaranteed 2HKO on Max Hp, Max Def Munchlax, excluding healing items, and is also good against Rock-types. Flamethrower is STAB, Nasty Plot is useful for a lasting sweep, if you can pull it off, and ThunderPunch helps against Water-types. HP Ice is more coverage, especially against Flying-types, who otherwise might wall you if you use Nasty Plot. Alterneratively, you could use HP Grass, as mentioned in Other Options. This requires an IV adjustment, though. The IVs reduce your HP to 19, so you only take 1 point of Life Orb damage.

Damage Calcs:
Brick Break vs. Standard Curselax: 57.58%-66.67%
HP Ice vs. Standard Murkrow: 91.3%-108.7%
HP Ice vs. Standard Great Wall Gligar: 142.31%-169.23%
HP Ice vs. Standard Diglett: 116.67%-138.89%
Brick Break vs. Standard Chinchou: 40.74%-48.15%
T-Punch vs. Standard TR Booster Slowpoke: 60.71%-71.43%

Swords Dance
@Oran Berry / Lum Berry

Swords Dance
Blaze Kick
Brick Break
ThunderPunch

Adamant / Jolly
84 HP / 212 Atk / 188 Spe / 4 SpD

Chimchar also has access to Swords Dance and several good physical moves. You could also replace something with U-Turn if you want, for scouting. Blaze Kick is STAB, Brick Break hurts Rocks and Munchlax, and T-Punch is for Waters.

Damage Calcs:(Jolly, no SD)
Brick Break vs. Standard Curselax: 48.48%-57.58%
T-Punch vs. Standard Murkrow: 86.96%-104.35%
Blaze Kick vs. Standard Great Wall Gligar: 30.77%-38.46%
Blaze Kick vs. Standard Diglett: 94.44%-11.11%
Brick Break vs. Standard Chinchou: 33.33%-40.74%
T-Punch vs. Standard TR Booster Slowpoke: 50%-60.71%
Seems a bit low, but these will greatly improve if you get an opportunity to Dance.

ChoiceChar
@Choice Band/Scarf

Blaze Kick
Brick Break
U-Turn
Thunderpunch

Adamant / Jolly
84 HP / 212 Atk / 188 Spe / 4 SpD

Chimchar with Choice items is another option to use. The item and nature depend on whether you need power or speed more. Same moves as before, except for U-Turn instead of Swords Dance.

Damage Calcs:(Choice Band, Jolly)
Brick Break vs. Standard Curselax: 69.7%-78.79%
T-Punch vs. Standard Murkrow: 126.09%-147.83%
Blaze Kick vs. Standard Great Wall Gligar: 42.31%-50%
Blaze Kick vs. Standard Diglett: 133.33%-155.56%
Brick Break vs. Standard Chinchou: 48.15%-59.26%
T-Punch vs. Standard Trick Room Booster Slowpoke: 71.43%-82.14%

Sub-Salac
@Salac Berry

Substitute
Swords Dance
Blaze Kick
Brick Break / ThunderPunch

Adamant
212 Atk / 84 Def / 188 Spe / 4 SpD

Sub on the switch, Swords Dance up, then sweep. You may need to move the Defence EVs to HP to adjust for IVs, as your HP should be divisible by 4. You could also try a special version of this set, but your options there are limited. Your final move depends on what is more important to your team: taking out Rocks and Normals, or Waters and Flying-types. Also, Subbing down activates Blaze.

Damage Calcs:(No SD)
Brick Break vs. Standard Curselax: 51.52%-60.61%
T-Punch vs. Standard Murkrow: 95.65%-108.7%
Blaze Kick vs. Standard Great Wall Gligar: 34.62%-38.46%(50%-61.54% if Blaze is active)
Blaze Kick vs. Standard Diglett: 100%-116.67%(1HKO even without Blaze, so I won't mention it)
Brick Break vs. Standard Chinchou: 37.04%-44.44%
T-Punch vs. Standard TR Booster Slowpoke: 53.57%-64.29%

Lead:
@ Focus Sash

Flamethrower
U-Turn
Taunt
Fake Out

52 HP / 52 Atk / 188 Spe / 212 SpA / 4 SpD
Hasty

Lead Chimchar, a variation of a set in Creative Movesets. Chimchar is faster than several leads, especially Bronzor, and can Taunt Pokemon trying to setup or ruin Sashes with Fake Out , then U-Turn out. Flamethrower is a more reliable offense and is very useful against Bronzor. Since Chimchar is rather frail, and this one is used as a lead, the Focus Sash increases its survivability. No Damage Calcs here, as this Chimchar is more about scouting/supporting than attacking.

Other Options:
HP Grass is another option on MixChar to hit Water-types, especially with Nasty Plot. It will require some IV adjustment, though. Fire Blast is more powerful than Flamethrower on Mixchar, but is inaccurate. Overheat is a surprise option on physical sets over Blaze Kick. It is especially useful on the Scarfer, who wants to hit and run anyway. Aerial Ace is another physical move, but it's weak, and its type coverage is rather redundant with Fire.Shadow Claw hits Ghosts and Psychics, but Blaze Kick/Flamethrower hit them almost as hard, so it's probably not worth it. Counter+Focus Sash is a novelty surprise, but Chimchar has better options. Treecko does this better. Chimchar has several other defensive/support moves, including Encore, Will-O-Wisp, Endure, Stealth Rock, Torment, and Toxic and can set-up Sunny Day. However, other Pokemon can use these moves better, though Endure can replace Sub on the Salac set.Bulk Up is an option over Swords Dance, but is usually inferior.

Opinion:
Chimchar is an interesting Pokemon with rounded (but poor) stats, a decent moveset, and a +2 stat move on both ends of the spectrum. Chimchar's lack of 1 spectacular stat hurts it, but it can still perform a few functions fairly well. Not OU, but a solid BL/UU.

Counters:
Chimchar's defences are rather low, so strong attacks will easily take it out. If you can avoid T-Punch or HP Grass, Mantyke, Tentacool (ThunderPunch), Slowpoke, Wooper and Chinchou (HP Grass) can all take a hit and then KO with a Water-type move, usually Surf. Omanyte can also KO Chimchar, but should avoid Brick Break. Buizel isn't very bulky, but a Banded Aqua Jet is an easy OHKO. Diglett can trap it and KO it with Earthquake. Gligar can take anything but HP Ice and KO with Earthquake.
Edited by Chris, Jul 22 2008, 04:12 AM.
Posted Image

Yeah, Pokemon's my fave, but KH kicks *** too.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cooper
Member Avatar
Smiles are free

Code:

Stat Base Min- Min Max Max+
HP---44---N/A--20--24--N/A
Atk--58---10---12--15--16
Def--44---9----10--14--15
SpA--58---10---12--15--16
SpD--44---9----10--14--15
Spd--61---10---12--15--16

I'm really envious of you for taking an analysis that I was planning on eventually doing myself. Anyway, Grass Knot is a horrible move choice is LC, because nothing weighs a lot. Fire Punch is not an incredible option when you've got Blaze Kick to work with, and a pure NP set would be good.
Edited by Cooper, Jul 3 2008, 07:44 PM.
Seven Deadly Sins

Banded Gible 2HKOs pretty much everything with Outrage, and OHKOs most everything.

npchimcharftw
Member Avatar
Added code, and, yeah, I was planning to talk about how Grass Knot really isn't too good, it's really only a novelty against stuff like Onix. I'd love to do a pure special set(as you could probably tell by my username), but Chimchar only gets Fire moves, HP, and Grass Knot for special moves. Mixed and physical are really the only options. Thanks for the stat table.
Posted Image

Dixie
Member Avatar
Back. Will see in the next week or so how much I can contribute.

I cleaned up a lot of the presentation aspects. From the writing point of view, write in continuous sentences, at the moment its rather like a bullet point list. Commentary needs expanding.
Edited by Dixie, Jul 3 2008, 08:21 PM.
Posted Image

Jonny Evans - Legend.

npchimcharftw
Member Avatar
Any better?
Posted Image

Someone

Treeko = Treecko

Heat Wave has 90 Acc and 10% chance of burn, so technically the chance to burn is lower (and the power boost from Flamethrower is...5.)

Sub Salac activates Blaze, note that.

HP Ice on Mixchar needs 56 Attack EV's.

You could reduce Chimchar's HP IV to 11, keeping the Hidden Power Ice the same and reducing the HP to 19, to take 1 Damage instead of 2 from LO.

4 Sp Def EV's give Chimchar 1 Sp defense point, goodie.

Ok, done. Maybe.

npchimcharftw
Member Avatar
OK, I think I've got everything so far.
Posted Image

Cooper
Member Avatar
Smiles are free

The counters and opinion sections are going to need some more bulk, as well as the set comments. One or two sentences isn't nearly enough to go into complete detail on what each particular part of a set means. For example, talk a bit about how the moves on the set work to counter some of the more serious threats in LC, or post some damage calcs.
Seven Deadly Sins

Banded Gible 2HKOs pretty much everything with Outrage, and OHKOs most everything.

npchimcharftw
Member Avatar
OK, I'm going to do damage calcs, but who should I test?
Posted Image

Dixie
Member Avatar

Re-write other options as a continuous paragraph. You don't have to say Chimchar in the set name since its bloody obvious as it is a Chimchar analysis.
Posted Image

Jonny Evans - Legend.

Cooper
Member Avatar
Smiles are free

For the damage calcs, look at the Threat List and run calcs against common pokemon. For example, put HP Ice against Murkrow and Gligar. Think about what Chimchar might be fighting and see how much damage the set would do. But be smart about it. For example, don't run Flamethrower against Omanyte. Use attacks that would be super effective or neutral. That's what good type coverage is, after all.
Seven Deadly Sins

Dixie
Member Avatar

counters needs expanding. Mantyke without ThunderPunch is a good counter, Chinchou can take anything that isn't a boosted fighting attack and both pokemon OHKO with Surf. Tentacool is also a good counter if you avoid ThunderPunch. Wooper is another good overall counter if you dont have HP Grass. Finally Slowpoke can shake off anything except thunderpunch and isn't OHKOed by it.
Posted Image

Jonny Evans - Legend.

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

First, Chimchar won't live up to Infernape. He's not that good, probably UU material.

Second, why no Flare Blitz or Close Combat? I thought those were both level-up moves that work fine.
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Glad that's out of the way, how's the grammer?

Cooper

I cannot edit titles. I cannot do anything. Mod me.

Bragbortified
Member Avatar
Malevolent Abomination of Greed

Since SpD EVs are usually required for good Special stopping on Munchlax's end, very few will ever run much Defense. It's probably best to pair Chimchar's Brick Break against a 236 HP/0Defense Munchlax, or at the very most 36.
Edited by Bragbortified, Jul 5 2008, 11:42 AM.

npchimcharftw
Member Avatar
Flare Blitz and Close Combat are both only on Monferno/Infernape.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Diamond/Pearl Analyses Archive · Next Topic »
Add Reply