Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tips for Writing an Analysis
Topic Started: Jun 24 2008, 01:26 AM (632 Views)
kd24
Member Avatar
TOP SCORE

Things that are important when writing a Analysis:

1. Please write a complete analysis. Take time to write it out and think of all potential counters and other options. It really saves more time for us and you. Remember, we have a creative moveset thread for single sets that you make.

2. How to be a good writer in two easy steps:

1.) Try and be professional; don't overhype things and ve very clear with what you're saying. "The best could almost be ubber pokemon of all LC. He dominates in convincing fashion blah blah blah" is bad. Instead, say "One of the best Pokemon to choose from in LC play, and can dominate most standard pokemon in LC". Sounds a bit better.

2.) Don't repeat words. "Gastly is a good sweeper. Gastly shadow ball is good. HP fight is good for blah blah blah".... That is just not well written. Instead "Gastly is an interesting sweeper with many options to use. Shadow Ball is a great choice to kill other ghost types, ect. Hidden Power Fighting does an extremely well at covering what Shadow Ball doesn't". It sounds much better and more interesting.

3. It is best for you to test a couple of sets out on Shoddy if you personally haven't used them before submitting them. This will help to avoid unfeasible and gimmicky sets, which should be left in Other Options. Plus, you can see what stops it and so helps with the counters section which is often a bit thin, and based on that you can suggest different options to remedy it.
Edited by Chris, Jun 29 2008, 04:45 AM.
Want to talk Yu-Gi-Oh? Join channel #YuGiOh. But be sure to join #littlecup, #cap, #oven, and #vader first!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

I hope you don't mind, but I copy-edited it a bit. Apparently I'm a moderator here too? Because the "Moderator" usergroup is included in every forum...
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Glad that's out of the way, how's the grammer?

Cooper

I cannot edit titles. I cannot do anything. Mod me.

PirateDelux
Member Avatar
Haxitis Dillo Air Conditioning
It's probably like smogon where if you're it in one place the title sticks, though you can't moderate everywhere.

That's how VBulletin functions, atleast.
Posted Image

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

No, what I was trying to say is that I CAN moderate here even though I'm only specifically assigned to RMTs. I'm trying to point out that they assigned the entire Moderator usergroup here.
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Glad that's out of the way, how's the grammer?

Cooper

I cannot edit titles. I cannot do anything. Mod me.

TPM
Member Avatar

I have a question about writing stat charts. Is the absolute minimum no IVs, no EVs, and negative nature. And does the reverse go for the positive?
Posted Image
credits to plus for this amazing banner
Quote:

KoA: I had a dream Revenankh was my brother he was the best brother ever but he couldnt bicycle for shit 

Cooper
Member Avatar
Smiles are free

I've written enough stat charts and changed them enough times to know how this works. Here's the set-up:

Min- - 31 IVs, no EVs, negative nature Note that HP does not have a Min-
Min - 31 IVs, no EVs, neutral nature
Max - 31 IVs, 252 EVs, neutral nature
Max+ - 31 IVs, 252 EVs, positive nature Note that HP does not have a Max+

I hope that clears things up forever. Also, after having read some of the newer smogon analysis, it seems they've changed the abbreviation for Speed. Here are the proper terms to use:

Attack - Atk
Defense - Def
Special Attack - SpA
Special Defense - SpD
Speed - Spe (changed from Spd)
Seven Deadly Sins

Banded Gible 2HKOs pretty much everything with Outrage, and OHKOs most everything.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Analysis Workshop · Next Topic »
Add Reply