Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mankey
Topic Started: Jun 23 2008, 03:38 PM (1,081 Views)
hellmonkey
Member Avatar
retiring soon

Mankey
Posted Image
Code:

Stat--base min- min max max+
HP----40---N/A--20---23--N/A
Att---80---12---14---17--8
Def---35---9----10---13--14
Sp.A--35---9----10---13--14
Sp.D--45---9----11---14--15
Spe---70---11---13---16--17

[SET]
name:Choice Monkey
move1:Close Combat / Cross Chop
move2:Payback
move3:U-Turn
move4:Rock Slide / Ice Punch
ability:Vital Spirit
nature: Jolly
item:Choice Band / Choice Scarf
evs: 116HP / 196Atk / 196Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> Boost either one of Mankey's higher stats: Choice Band will hurt and kill something, provided you predict correctly, at the cost of having mediocre Speed. This can be fixed by using Choice Scarf, as Mankey does have a good 80 base Attack which can still hurt many things.</p>
<p>Close Combat gets STAB and has the power fit for a hit-and-run Pokémon. Payback gives neutrality to the set and lets you OHKO any ghost that switches is expecting to sponge a Close Combat. U-Turn is great to scout who did your opponent bring in to counter Mankey and to gain the upper hand. Rock Slide covers Flying enemies that resist your STAB move. Ice Punch has a slim chance of OHKOing max HP/Def Gligar with Choice Scarf; having Stealth Rock on the field almost guarantees the kill and a Choice Band always OHKOs. However, being a 3rd generation Tutor move, it is incompatible with the 4th generation level-up move Close Combat. If you want to have an elemental punch, Cross Chop will have to suffice as your STAB move.</p>

[SET]
name: Reversal
move1: Endure
move2: Bulk Up
move3: Reversal
move4: Payback / Rock Slide / Ice Punch
ability: Vital Spirit
item: Salac Berry
evs: 116HP / 196Atk / 196Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Bulk Up until you see the opponent's next move will KO Mankey. Endure to 1 HP to get a full power STAB Reversal and activate your Salac Berry. Now sweep with Reversal and your last move: Payback covers Ghosts and only Croagunk resists Fighting/Dark; while Rock Slide and Ice Punch cover Flying-types. Ice Punch is more useful if Gligar is showing up too often. Beware of priority users with this set.</p>
<p>Also note that due to the power formula for Reversal, Mankey can only have a maximum 150 power Reversal [floor(64*1/22) = 2; 150 power].

[SET]
name: Anger Point
move1: Substitute
move2: Bulk Up
move3: Close Combat / Reversal
move4: Payback / Rock Slide
ability: Anger Point
item: Salac Berry
evs: 196Atk / 196Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Put up your Substitute and Bulk up whenever you get the chance, hoping the opponent will critical against your Substitute. Bulk Up will give slightly more endurance to your Substitutes against physical attackers,and gives you a back-up plan in case Anger Point never activates.</p>

<p>Not investing in HP EVs leaves Mankey at 20 HP, which means Salac Berry will activate after the third Substitute. If you choose to use Reversal, put 116 EVs in HP so Salac will activate after the fourth Substitute, giving you one more chance to activate Anger Point and leaving you with a more powerful attack than Close Combat (150 vs. 120).</p>

<p>Ice Punch is illegal with Anger Point, so it is not included</p>

[SET]
name: Special Surprise
move1: Focus Blast
move2: Overheat
move3: Hidden Power Ice
move4:Thunder / Thunderbolt
item: Choice Specs
ability: Vital Spirit
nature: Modest
evs: 236SpA / 196Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Mankey has a shallow but usable special movepool, although his base 35 Special Attack makes it an inferior option compared to the physical sets. With Choice Specs and a Modest nature you reach 21 Special Attack, an usable number, especially considering the high base power of Mankey's special arsenal.</p>

<p>Mankey gets a powerful STAB Focus Blast, but its accuracy may give you a hard time. Overheat has a fantastic 140 power but leaves you with a measly 10 Special Attack after one use. The Hidden Power of choice gives you added type coverage, and can help in KOing certain Pokémon. Grass takes care of Rhyhorn, Onix, Cranidos, Kabuto and Omanyte, while Ice hits Gligar, Tangela and Drifloon, possible switch-ins into Mankey; although what HP Grass hits is less likely to switch in, fearing a super effective Close Combat. If you are crazy enough to use a Special-oriented Mankey, you might as well gamble with Thunder's higher power, or go for Thunderbolt to trade 25% accuracy for 25% less power.</p>

<p>While it's certainly amusing seeing Mankey exploding in a blast of fire or launching electrical shocks at its opponents, one must remember that Mankey uses its full potential using a physical set.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Mankey's physical movepool, which includes access to the elemental punches, Cross Chop, Focus Punch, Double-Edge, Iron Tail, and Aerial Ace, is quite large; however, any moves not listed in the sets are generally inferior due to limited coverage or low base power, but could be useful to take on a specific threat.</p>

<p>In the support department, Makey gets Taunt, which can prevent a counter from setting up; and Screech, which can allow Mankey to turn 2HKOs into OHKOs if you nail opponents on the switch.</p>

[EVs]
<p>116HP / 196Atk / 196Spe maximizes Attack and Speed and leaves room for two HP points.</p>
<p>For the Special attacking set, 236SpA / 190Spe maximizes those stats, and leaves EVs to compensate to the stats lowered by using different IVs for Hidden Power.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Mankey may look at first sight as yet another generic Fighting-type inferior to Meditite, but where the monkey excels is in the movepool department. Mankey has lots of options to use as a STAB move, from Brick Break to Reversal, apart from moves that give it a good type coverage.</p>
<p>Mankey may be weaker than Meditite, but its decent Speed, coupled with a Sleep immunity and access to a wide movepool sould make it a solid choice for your team</p>

[Counters]
<p>Mankey will be choiced more often that not, so prediction is the key to giving you an advantage. Gligar takes little fom anything Mankey can offer, barring Ice Punch. Ghosts can come into its STAB attacks and threaten with Shadow Ball. Mankey is quite frail, so revenge killing will be easy. </p>
Edited by hellmonkey, Jul 22 2008, 12:19 AM.
sdfsfsfdsfdsd
nothing
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darkie
Member Avatar

Mankey can still have Close Combat and Ice Punch at the same time legally. You teach it Ice Punch in Emerald, Pal Park it, and level it up to Lvl. 49. Simple.
Other than that:
Quote:

Boost either one of Mankey's higher stats: Choice Band will hurt and kill something, provided you predict correctly; at the cost of having mediocre Speed.

the semi colon should be comma. 'At the cost of having mediocre Speed' is not a full sentence, nor is it an item in a list.

Quote:

Mankey's physical movepool is quite large, including access to the elemental punches, Cross Chop, Focus Punch, Double-Edge, Iron Tail, and Aerial Ace as options not mentioned in the sets. These generally give you little coverage, but can be used if you want to take on something specific.

Better as: "Mankey's physical movepool, which includes access to the elemental punches, Cross Chop, Focus Punch, Double-Edge, Iron Tail, and Aerial Ace, is quite large; however, any moves not listed in the sets are generally inferior due to limited coverage or low base power, but could be useful to take on a specific threat."

Elevator Music
Member Avatar
♫ I got that boom boom pow ♫
darkie
Jun 25 2008, 01:20 AM
Mankey can still have Close Combat and Ice Punch at the same time legally. You teach it Ice Punch in Emerald, Pal Park it, and level it up to Lvl. 49. Simple.
But if he's at level 49 then he isn't eligible for Little Cup, which is the point.
Edited by Elevator Music, Jun 25 2008, 01:37 AM.
Posted Image

Seven Deadly Sins
Member Avatar
KD24 banned Tangela

Move Tutor moves aren't learned again through breeding, so that's impossible. ADV Move Tutor moves are quite illegal with D/P Level Up moves.
Kannon

SDS, Ice resists Water. Ground doesn't resist Rock.

Elevator Music
Member Avatar
♫ I got that boom boom pow ♫
Seven Deadly Sins
Jun 25 2008, 01:37 AM
Move Tutor moves aren't learned again through breeding, so that's impossible. ADV Move Tutor moves are quite illegal with D/P Level Up moves that are learned after level 5.
Fixed. That's an important differentiation you know. >_>
Posted Image

hellmonkey
Member Avatar
retiring soon

Fixed.

If there are no more comments I'll move this to Finished section.
Edited by hellmonkey, Jun 25 2008, 02:01 AM.
sdfsfsfdsfdsd
nothing

darkie
Member Avatar

Ah, sorry. That was my mistake. =\

In that case, how viable is HP Ice on a CB set? If it OHKOs Gligar, then it could possibly be an option.

Chris
Member Avatar
Abrasive Dick

Moving to appropriate forum now, since the workshop is filling up and HP Ice is a minor issue if it's even viable.

I keep getting an error when I try to move it, odd...
Edited by Chris, Jul 2 2008, 01:06 AM.
Posted Image
tennisace0227

Glad that's out of the way, how's the grammer?

Cooper

I cannot edit titles. I cannot do anything. Mod me.

Dixie
Member Avatar
Back. Will see in the next week or so how much I can contribute.

Chris, I'll move it, since you have virtually approved it.
Posted Image

Jonny Evans - Legend.

TheMantyke
Member Avatar
<BIG>A Man's Mantyke</BIG>

I know this analysis has already been approved, but why isn't Cross Chop listed as an option for when you're using 3rd gen tutor moves? The drop from CC to Brick Break is a good 55 points. at least with Cross Chop the drop isn't so drastic.
Edited by TheMantyke, Jul 21 2008, 10:24 PM.
Es Guapo

hellmonkey
Member Avatar
retiring soon

I'll finally edit that >.>
sdfsfsfdsfdsd
nothing

TPM
Member Avatar

It should be noted that CC and Ice PUnch are now compatible so Gligar has something to fear now!
Posted Image
credits to plus for this amazing banner
Quote:

KoA: I had a dream Revenankh was my brother he was the best brother ever but he couldnt bicycle for shit 

eric the espeon
Member Avatar
vader was here

We will see how Smogon deals with the Pt Tutors in analysis then decide how we will deal with them.
Pt Tutor or any other Pt moves should not be added to analysis as of this point.

Seven Deadly Sins
Member Avatar
KD24 banned Tangela

I disagree, as the changes are already implemented on Shoddy Battle, where the majority of Little Cup players are. The analyses should be updated as quickly as possible to make sure that new players of LC are equipped with all the information that they need to be competitive.
Kannon

SDS, Ice resists Water. Ground doesn't resist Rock.

eric the espeon
Member Avatar
vader was here

hmm..
How about we keep the sets that work in DP as they are, but put notes about Pt Tutors and new sets at the end in a new section entitled Platinum.
This would be a temporary solution, but better than trying to do new analysis for each one or losing our DP analysis.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Diamond/Pearl Analyses Archive · Next Topic »
Add Reply