Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Magnemite; BoltBeam tickles!
Topic Started: Jun 4 2009, 06:07 AM (1,697 Views)
HeYsUp
Member Avatar
Hey, what's up?

[STAT=Magnemite,25/35/70/95/55/45,Electric,Steel]81[/STAT]

Set 1: Choice

• Thunderbolt
  • Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Grass
  • Flash Cannon
  • Explosion / Thunder

Item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Nature: Naive / Timid
Evs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe

Comments:
Magnemite has decent Speed and awesome Special Attack, so with a Choice Scarf it becomes a major threat. Similarly, increasing Magnemite's already outstanding Special Attack means it will absolutely destroy anything switching in that isn't immune to Electric-type attacks. On the note of immunities however, this set often has a lot of trouble because Diglett can simply render this set useless, not to mention Ground-types such as Gligar who are very common can get a free switch-in. With great Special Attack, coverage, and defensive typing, Magnemite can still be a force to be reckoned with.

This set has a couple options, starting with the Hidden Power typing. Hidden Power Ground simply grants the best coverage with Electric and Steel-type STAB attacks, however it lacks an efficient move to hit Wooper and Barboach. Hidden Power Ground is recommended because it allows you to trap and OHKO other Magnemite, Aron, and Shieldon, something Hidden Power Grass will not do.

Now the last moveslot is pretty easy to decide on, because it basically depends on if you are running Rain Dance on your team. Without Rain Dance, this set can still be fully effective, OHKOing and 2HKOing all in its path, and exploding when the time comes, however this set truly reaches its full potential in the rain. With a 120 base power STAB attack (and not to mention its high paralysis rate), Magnemite can sweep many teams with the Choice Scarf set. With Choice Specs, Thunder is so powerful that it can even 2HKO Munchlax, which just gives you an idea of how strong this attack is.

Set 2: Trapper / All-purpose

• Thunderbolt
  • Hidden Power Ice / Flash Cannon
  • Magnet Rise
  • Substitute / Explosion

Item: Life Orb / Oran Berry
Nature: Modest / Rash
Evs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe

Comments:
This set is much more comfortable in a metagame with Pokemon like Diglett and Bronzor, where it can abuse Magnet Rise along with its defensive typing. With Substitute, Magnemite can easily deal with Diglett who may switch in, and as a bonus Magnemite gets to set up another Subsitute with Diglett defenseless against its Steel-tying, due to being immune to Earthquake because of Magnet Rise.

The strategy starts by sending Magnemite in on something it forces out, or traps in (such as Bronzor). With a Substitute up, Magnemite can 2HKO most Pokemon with its near perfect coverage with Hidden Power Ice for the "BoltBeam" attacking combination.

One major choice for this set, is whether or not you are going to use Explosion or Substitute. Explosion leaves no room for error, and it allows Diglett an easy revenge Magnemite, however it will almost definitely KO something if you use it. Substitute is more reliable, but it cannot break through certain Pokemon such as Munchlax. Though, beware of Protect variants of Munchlax before you explode.

Set 3: Substitute + Salac Berry
  • Substitute
  • Charge Beam
  • Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon
  • Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground

Item: Salac berry
Nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe

Comments:
This set is one of Magnemite's more surprising sets, and it works quite well due to Magnemite's decent Speed, strong Special Attack, and awesome defensive typing. The strategy is to send Magnemite in on a Choiced Pokemon locked into a resisted move, or on something that Magnemite forces out, such as Squirtle. Substitute on the switch (unless they don't switch and fail to break the Substitute anyway), and KO what you can using Charge Beam. You'll likely get at least one boost by the time you're in Salac Berry range, and then you hopefully can sweep your opponents team.

The move choice depends on whether or not you want the absolute best coverage, or higher move power with respectable coverage. Thunderbolt is Magnemite's strongest attack, and Hidden Power Ice grants it near perfect type coverage, however it isn't perfect. If you find Charge Beam and Thunderbolt to be redundant, you may use Flash Cannon and Hidden Power Ground as attacks, being able to hit more targets super effective, and no longer being walled by Pokemon such as Chinchou or foe Magnemite.

Other Options

Magnemite can run a very solid "Dual Screen" set, with Light Screen, Reflect, and Explosion but Bronzor can usually run this set more effectively with its higher defenses and immunity to Earthquake. Magnemite also has a slew of alternate Electric-type attacks, such as Zap Cannon and Discharge, both of which can be useful for paralyzing foes.

Thunder Wave can be used on Magnemite, if you want to run a more defensive EV spread and possibly set up a screen.

EVs

Magnemite is very easy to EV, because it only has one spread, and it's very simple. Magnemite should be maximizing its already great Special Attack stat and decent Speed stat first to aid in its sweeping. Both of these stats unfortunately require 236 EVs to maximize, leaving Magnemite with basically no breathing room for an extra point.

Magnemite is left with enough EVs to get a point in Defense, however, once you apply Hidden Power and the IVs lost, you cannot get another point in any other stat. This leaves Magnemite with a simple 240 SpA / 240 Spe spread.

Opinion

Magnemite is often overlooked as a sweeper, and only used to trap Pokemon like Bronzor. While it is the best Pokemon for that job, it has other niches as well. With a Choice Scarf, Magnemite can deal some major damage with Thunderbolt, making it a very powerful sweeper and revenge killer. In the rain, Magnemite is even more deadly with Thunder.

If you are having trouble getting Bronzor or one of the other Steel-type Pokemon out of the way, or just want a powerful special attacker, then definitely consider Magnemite for a slot on your team. It can fit its way in easily, with its amazing resistances.

Counters

Magnemite has a couple counters, though it's hard to switch into a STAB attack from Magnemite's high Special Attack stat. The first counter that comes to mind for all special attackers is Munchlax, and it indeed does a good job of countering Magnemite. However, many Magnemite's purpose is to bait out Munchlax, and OHKO it with Explosion, Munchlax need to beware of that. Wooper and Barboach can switch into either Thunderbolt or Flash Cannon with ease, and take minimal damage from Hidden Power Ground and Ice (though they need to beware of Hidden Power Grass), making them two ideal counters. Gligar is bulky enough to switch into Flash Cannon once, but repeated STAB special attacks can spell doom for Gligar after a couple switch-ins.

Magnemite's biggest issue, is the fact that it is so easily revenge killed by Pokemon like Diglett (or even Trapinch). Diglett can switch into basically any attack, outrun Magnemite and OHKO it with a STAB Earthquake, without the option of switching due to Arena Trap. Pokemon like Croagunk can use Vacuum Wave to revenge kill Magnemite as well. Faster Choice Scarf users, such as Mankey and Houndour can outpace Magnemite and OHKO it with their STAB attacks as well.
Edited by HeYsUp, Jun 22 2009, 07:55 PM.
Posted Image
Thanks to Legacy Raider for this sig :D. Thanks to bugmaniacbob for my avatar :D.

Visit my Little Cup blog.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

eric the espeon
Member Avatar
vader was here

I was just going to read it, but ended up doing some comments..

and exploding when the tiem comes,
time

Thunder is so powerful that it can even 2HKO Munchlax,
Is this with Oran?

How about:
# Substitute
# Thunderbolt / Charge Beam
# Flash Cannon
# Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground

Unless Charge Beam + Thunderbolt can actually be more effective than dual STAB?

Hopefully you'll get at least one boost by the time you're in Salac Berry range, and then you can hopefully sweep your opponents team.
double "hopefully"

In EVs maybe a mention of a bulky spread to go with the second set, Maggy has a pretty brilliant defensive type and some investment with Oran seems somewhat viable?

Munchlax's Protect could get a mention for making explosion risky. Maybe have a calc for Croa's Vwave to show the general bulkiness?

HeYsUp
Member Avatar
Hey, what's up?

Well I don't like having a bulky main spread, because Bronzor just outclasses it in almost every way. Its in OO though.

And Charge Beam + Tbolt is good because Tbolt gives much higher power, while Charge Beam has shit power so it is barely considered a STAB.

I'll add protect munchlax in there, but the Calcs would likely be unimpressive imo.
Posted Image
Thanks to Legacy Raider for this sig :D. Thanks to bugmaniacbob for my avatar :D.

Psykout22
Member Avatar
22nd Time is always the Charm
how about a rain set, with it's bulkyness i'm sure it can run it:
ps i was making a mag analysis... but i forgot about it but i do have other sets and other options if you would like me to pm you them hey?
[SET]
name: Rain Dance
move1: Thunder
move2: Hidden Power [Ice]
move3: Explosion/Magnet Rise
move4: Rain Dance
item: Oran Berry/Damp Rock
ability: Magnet Pull

(not sure about evs)

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A slightly bulkier set than the others, with it’s good typing and 70 base defence it can take a hit quite well, but the 25 base hp could be a problem if you want to keep it alive long which is why Oran Berry is the main option.</p>
<p>Can also make use of those steel types easily setting up rain for 8 turns if you use damp rock but still good for set-up if you don’t.</p>
<p>How to use it? Just switch in on a resisted attack set up(with so many scarfers around a free set-up could happen quite often).</p>

ps i was making a mag analysis... but i forgot about it
anyway: i do have other sets and other options if you would like me to pm you them hey?
22nd Time is once again the Charm
Posted Image

Seven Deadly Sins
Member Avatar
KD24 banned Tangela

There is no "UU metagame" right now, so you should remove mentions of it IMO.
Kannon

SDS, Ice resists Water. Ground doesn't resist Rock.

HeYsUp
Member Avatar
Hey, what's up?

Well there is a not-OU metagame, which is technically referred to as the "UU" metagame right?

I'll change it to something like "not used in OU".
Posted Image

Seven Deadly Sins
Member Avatar
KD24 banned Tangela

I am heavily opposed to referring to any tiers in these analyses until we actually have solid tiers, because it's ridiculous right now.
Kannon

Dixie
Member Avatar
Back. Will see in the next week or so how much I can contribute.

I agree with SDS, as the tiers we currently have a prone to big fluctuations in lesser-used pokemon, so it's better to refer to pokemon as "common" or "uncommon" rather than by tiering.
Edited by Dixie, Jun 21 2009, 04:16 PM.
Posted Image

Jonny Evans - Legend.

HeYsUp
Member Avatar
Hey, what's up?

The OU metagame is the standard isn't it? We do have a solid OU metagame, I don't see the reason to avoid using OU since if its common, it's common in OU, or if its uncommon, it's uncommon in OU. It's the same thing.
Edited by HeYsUp, Jun 21 2009, 07:13 PM.
Posted Image

Seven Deadly Sins
Member Avatar
KD24 banned Tangela

No it isn't. You've got 2 mods telling you that tiers don't exist and that they should be avoided, cut it out.
Edited by Seven Deadly Sins, Jun 21 2009, 07:30 PM.
Kannon

HeYsUp
Member Avatar
Hey, what's up?

Okay, took it out.

I'm just unsure if that's consistent with the other analyses (i'm pretty sure even UU metagames are mentioned in the analyses).
Posted Image

Seven Deadly Sins
Member Avatar
KD24 banned Tangela

I would suggest that other analyses be edited to reflect this as well.

If we ever get other metagames going, we can address the issue, but for now, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Kannon

HeYsUp
Member Avatar
Hey, what's up?

Okay, any further changes?

Posted Image

bahohns
Member Avatar

Looks fine to me. Should I go look at my analysises (wtf is the plural for that...) for tier mentions as well? I think I can remember doing a few...

eric the espeon
Member Avatar
vader was here

I see no problem with mentioning "OU", there is another metagame that is currently viable (LC Ubers) even if its not played much. UU mentions are best avoided right now though. And saying "not-OU" is not right either.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Analysis Workshop · Next Topic »
Add Reply