Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
MAJOR NEWS REGARDING ZETABOARDS
Topic Started: May 9 2018, 01:03 PM (982 Views)
KingofHearts316_2018
Member Avatar
Rank 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Read this!
http://support.zathyus.com/topic/7021172/

then this...
http://support.zathyus.com/topic/7021183/

and this.
http://support.zathyus.com/topic/7021174/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

As someone who has a ZetaBoards forum, I'm not wild of the news, but I'm going to hope for the best.

TCH staff are aware of the news as well.
Do want everyone to know that TCH is going to stay around, whether that's on ZetaBoards, the new Tapatalk-based platform, or another platform so don't worry.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yami Yugi
Member Avatar
Playstation King Yami
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
My advice if TCH goes full blown tapatalk, go with proboards.

Nilvafefe
Member Avatar
Dovahkiin

Yes, we are all well aware of this. But we are not moving anytime soon, so don't get all of your panties in a knot!

Also, I'm moving this to The Internet sub-forum as I believe it belongs there than in general chat. :P

CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

Well, I'm still weighing up my options here. I'm honestly not impressed with the news: since the overwhelming bulk of my browsing is done on the PC, I have little use for a "mobile-first community platform" such as TapaTalk. I fully understand the importance of strong mobile support in this day and age - indeed, it's the one big thing that I wish ZB had - but it shouldn't come at the cost of throwing PC users like myself under the bus. The TapaTalk platform is just a fundamentally unsatisfying PC experience, and I don't expect that to change because it has some ZB features added to it :( . Maybe I'll be proven wrong - but, we'll see.

I will say that I have already looked at several other forum providers - but, at this stage, it's just to evaluate them. I don't have any firm commitment to move away from ZB yet; I don't have a timescale for any move; and I don't know which platform I'll be moving to if I do go. It's all up in the air right now: I haven't put up an announcement simply because I don't yet have anything to announce :P .

However, I am sure about three things:

1) The community isn't going anywhere. I remain fully committed to running TCH, even if it ends up having to move to a new platform;
2) If we do move, it won't be happening for some time. There's no urgency here, so I'd rather assemble something that's a genuine upgrade on the current TCH experience, than just throw something together at short notice;
3) If we do have to move, then I'm not going to force everyone to re-register and start from zero. I'll re-register everyone manually - with their ranks, post counts, Coffee Credits and awards intact - if that's what it takes. (Well, I won't be re-registering the spambots, nor will I re-register people who showed up, made a few posts and then left, but any members who are still here to read this will be re-registered :P )

I'll share more info once I have more info to share :) .

JHG
Member Avatar

I don’t know whether the Ultimate face offs! forum will live through this.

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

As the others have said, us staff are talking about it. All will be well with our community!

Moonface
Member Avatar
Rank 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd like to think it'd work out, but until I see it I can't believe it just because Brandon's word has amounted to nothing so many times that to expect otherwise would be foolish. If the new platform isn't any good then I'll just restart my board elsewhere. Although if ZB offered databases I'd move to a new host without hesitation and I expect many others would do the same. People are only hesitant because of not being able to take their data with them.
Edited by Moonface, May 9 2018, 07:12 PM.

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Yami Yugi
May 9 2018, 02:28 PM
Skyon Archer would like to say "no" in this case. MyBB would be a much better option or better, Vanilla Forums.

queenzelda
Member Avatar
Lady Queen

There are webcrawlers that can move posts & what not to a new hosted board. Though, from what I've found it seems to be available to phpbb though. source.

With this whole thing going on, it'd be nice to have a time line of when the conversion is going to happen. But, that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

The problem is the ZB forum owners are having to balance a few things.

Should we wait for the Tapatalk preview tool? If we do...
What's the ETA it'll be available?
Should we wait and see what Zeta-Talk (my name) ends up becoming?
Should we move elsewhere and lose our posts and whatnot, and potentially deal with a bad host?
"Which software/host will be best for us?"

It's why all the forums are in wait-and-see mode.

CJ
Member Avatar

Yeah, it would be nice to know more. I'm still waiting to see what the new ZB/TT is like, and I'm prepared to continue waiting for a little while - but, considering my low expectations, I'm not prepared to sit around for months on end, while nothing further is made public.

If I do move to a new software, then I'd personally rather choose to do that sooner than have to do it later. However, before I do, I'm also going to want to learn that software (so that I'm not a total noob with it when the move does take place); then re-create the default TCH theme on it (along with a couple of my other favourites, e.g. Dark Energy); then find and install any codes necessary to replicate popular features on here; then re-register everyone on the new board and PM them on here with their new passwords. Given that I have limited time for learning new software (due to work, keeping the existing forum active, and other offline commitments), I'm guessing this would take me at least a couple of months, if I started right now.

So, I decided it would be prudent to investigate other software while I wait and see what's going on with ZB. That's the phase I'm in now, and your suggestions so far have been much-appreciated :D .

MegaphoneStallone
Member Avatar

Lol go Mozzie ripping them a new one.

Nilvafefe
Member Avatar
Dovahkiin

queenzelda
May 9 2018, 10:11 PM
There are webcrawlers that can move posts & what not to a new hosted board. Though, from what I've found it seems to be available to phpbb though. source.

With this whole thing going on, it'd be nice to have a time line of when the conversion is going to happen. But, that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.
I've never heard of web crawlers before.. and since CJ and I are capable of doing that I don't see the point. Also phpbb is a pain the arse if you don't know how to self-host. I've fiddled around with it and am not particularly fond of it. I don't think CJ would be either. :lol:
Edited by Nilvafefe, May 10 2018, 01:44 AM.

Mozzie
Member Avatar
Socially Confused

MegaphoneStallone
May 10 2018, 12:25 AM
Yes i was a little annoyed the other night about it all
Well we made the move, we had a plan in place and there was no way TT was the option. But i agree about the way Brandon has done this, the lack of info to everyone.

MegaphoneStallone
Member Avatar

Mozzie
May 10 2018, 02:25 AM
MegaphoneStallone
Well we made the move, we had a plan in place and there was no way TT was the option. But i agree about the way Brandon has done this, the lack of info to everyone.
Right. So what software did you move to!?
Why the aversion to Tapatalk...Is it really that bad?

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

He's on IcyBoards which uses MyBB.
I'm currently testing it myself.

As for Tapatalk, many have expressed issues with the layout especially when not on mobile, along with lack of customization and lack of quality support.
Though I can't speak for the platform as I've never used it, just repeating what I remember seeing on the support forum.
I can also say that the support forum staff are not happy with the move and several have publicly expressed their thoughts about it and back when InvisionFree was being force-converted, they were recommending to move to ZB over Tapatalk.
http://support.zathyus.com/topic/7014628/1/?x=20

The platform that is currently unavailable for testing and will likely be forced upon ZB forums is apparently a hybrid between ZB and Tapatalk and will allow some customization but nothing specific as to how much.
Some are also looking to get away from ZB after the IF -> ZB/Tapatalk fiasco and saying that ZB would continue with updates.
They don't trust Brandon, and at this point I can't really fault them.

As for myself, I'm going to hang onto mine as long as I can and then I'll shift to another host/software if ZB is removed and I don't like the Zeta-Talk platform.

(Also if you're on the support forum, for anyone in general, please don't take it out on the staff, they have no control over this and all seem to be against the move in general. They're just passing on what they've been told.)

CJ
Member Avatar

MegaphoneStallone
May 10 2018, 06:45 AM
Mozzie
May 10 2018, 02:25 AM
MegaphoneStallone
Right. So what software did you move to!?
Why the aversion to Tapatalk...Is it really that bad?
In its current state, it's dreadful. Here's a test board I created with it a couple of days ago, when the announcement first broke:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tchtest/forum-f2/

I know it looks horrible, but that's because I've changed one colour and one background, and been able to change literally nothing else about the way the board looks. Also, there's no way to add custom JavaScript codes, so a lot of the features that are popular here (e.g. Likes, awards, custom user icons) wouldn't be possible to replicate on this software. And I don't think it makes for a very satisfying PC experience anyway: to me, it just looks like a mobile app that's been stretched out to fit the size of a PC screen (which is essentially what TapaTalk's software is: they do sell themselves as a "mobile-first community platform" - which, like I said, doesn't really fit my needs. I know mobile users are important - but, so are us PC users!)

Now, Brandon has promised that proper theme customisation and custom JavaScript codes will be available in the upgraded software. Of course, the existing codes won't be compatible with the new software and will need modifying (and I don't know who's going to do that, given that most of the good ZB coders have gone now, or they're going to move elsewhere anyway because they're pissed off about their existing efforts being wasted). Similar deal with the themes (although they, at least, should be easier to convert than the codes).

I do hope it turns out well - but, even if the new software isn't bad, I still have a strong suspicion that it won't be for me. We'll see, though: I'll wait a few weeks to see what it's like. But, if we don't hear anything by then (or if I don't like what I do hear), then hopefully I'll have decided on an alternative platform, and the staff will have made good progress with re-creating TCH on that platform :) .

Lordhen
Member Avatar
Rank 3
[ *  *  * ]
Bry.
May 9 2018, 09:18 PM
Yami Yugi
May 9 2018, 02:28 PM
Skyon Archer would like to say "no" in this case. MyBB would be a much better option or better, Vanilla Forums.
Proboards is nice, i use it and i will stay there, also they are planning to launch hopefully this year V6 that will completely change how Proboards looks and feels.

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Maybe so, but ProBoards isn't so "nice" regarding their anti-adblocker attitude, which they had since the V5 update and I hope to god they scrap it soon.

CJ
Member Avatar

Oh, ads won't be a concern. I'm already paying for Ad Removal on ZB, and I can continue doing that if I end up moving there (indeed, the ProBoards ad removal looks to be considerably cheaper than the ZB equivalent).

So, if we end up moving to ProBoards, and the software gets annoyed with your ad blocker, just laugh in its face because there won't be anything for it to block anyway :lol: !

Moonface
Member Avatar
Rank 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Aro Rouon
May 10 2018, 07:01 AM
(Also if you're on the support forum, for anyone in general, please don't take it out on the staff, they have no control over this and all seem to be against the move in general. They're just passing on what they've been told.)
While the staff are also being rather clear on their views about this in the threads on ZNS, this blog by Stephen sums up the whole situation pretty well: http://support.zathyus.com/blog/entry/959/4064/

Was it probably inevitable ZB would be swallowed into TT? Yes. Did anyone expect it within a year of Brandon telling the staff that TT owns the service? Depends on the person, but I believed that TT having ownership would give Brandon time to do development while they handle servers and other problems. That was what he conveyed to me. Instead, it seems them owning IF/ZB didn't really change any of Brandon's duties. In which case, I question what exactly they were providing to ZB that was going to be helpful to it in any way that wasn't there before and didn't involve giving it the IF treatment.

Do I wish people could get their data and go somewhere else? Yes. Even if doing it means the ZBTT service ends up being a piece of sh*t because barely anyone is left to kick up a stink, why would board owners care what becomes of it once they've gone somewhere else? Do you think the people who took their IF databases instead of going to ZB or TT care that things have turned out this way? I don't. They might think it's a shame, but anything that transpires doesn't affect their community any longer.

I hope things work out, but I've hoped for that for so long now that I can't believe in anything about this new platform until I see it. Brandon may as well be the boy who cried wolf, except we don't even know if this version of the story definitely ends in a wolf, or promised features, actually coming to fruition. Tapatalk doesn't even let you have custom emoticons. It may as well be a glorified Discord channel or something. It needs so much work to bring it up to what ZB provides that it could take until next year for all we know. Then when we do migrate, we don't even know how well our current content will transition. If the layout stays the same, themes aren't going to go across perfectly. If there's no Board Template to insert custom HTML into, then things like image borders, custom submenus, and other things that rely on that to have their respective CSS work won't be possible and so a lot of themes won't translate at all.

In the time we spend waiting, we can already set up things on another platform and have something secure in place before we even know if the future of this service is even decent and suitable. Even if the initial migration is fine, I still wouldn't be able to trust things will remain fine after that. Will updates come in decently? Will Tapatalk decide eventually they don't want to continue putting resources into this platform and toss everything back into their main TT platform if this new one doesn't become their primary one that everyone gets given? It's pretty hard to trust any word that that won't happen when the last word we were given and trusted broke all trust and credibility.

If anything should be taken from this, it's that if you go elsewhere, make sure you can get a database. At least then if things go to sh*t, you can go somewhere else with your content instead of biting the bullet or having to restart from scratch yet again.

CJ
Member Avatar

Absolutely agreed with both you and Stephen: you took the words right out of my mouth.

In truth, the idea of investigating other forum software has been rattling around at the back of my mind for some time anyway. After the acquisition of ZB by TT, I put those thoughts to one side, because I hoped that TT taking care of the servers would allow Brandon to develop desperately-needed software updates. And, instead, I got hit with this bombshell :( .

As I said, I'm not going to make a final decision on whether to stay or go for another month or two: perhaps the live previews genuinely will come out soon, and perhaps they'll be better than I was expecting. However, by that time, I do plan on having an alternative ready to go, so that I can switch over if I decide I don't like the direction in which things are going (or, for that matter, if nothing appears to be happening).

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

For me, I may have no choice but to surrender my forum to it, because this would be too much of an upheaval for me. I got so stressed and upset over this :'(

MegaphoneStallone
Member Avatar

Bry.
May 10 2018, 08:23 PM
For me, I may have no choice but to surrender my forum to it, because this would be too much of an upheaval for me. I got so stressed and upset over this :'(
Chill dude.
The LightWeb would regrow elsewhere if need be.

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Maybe, but it wouldn't be the same, and that I would be much more busier with other things by then (depending on when it will happen but knowing Brandon, he won't tell us anything) and really, I need to focus on that more. So yes, my current stance is to just ditch it unless we hear more word of this. I've got enough on my plate anyway and I certainly don't need this making it worse.

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

The popular switch option seems to be IcyBoards.

I just wish it had a better admin panel lol.

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Aro Rouon
May 11 2018, 07:57 AM
I just wish it had a better admin panel lol.
And I thought only Mozzie was complaining about it :lol: But eh, it would be more user-friendly than Tapatalk's, yes? :P

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

I'd have to make a Tapatalk test forum to try it to be honest, the only actual Tapatalk forum I've seen is just CJ's test forum so I don't know.

I can say the forum side of Tapatalk looks worse at least.
http://support.zathyus.com/single/?p=30033400&t=7021236

Bleh.
Edited by Gaomon274, May 11 2018, 10:25 AM.

Yami Yugi
Member Avatar
Playstation King Yami
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Actually, there's a 'theme' download for the Icyboards admin cpu. Personally, I find the Icyboards admin cpu more appealing. :whistle:

I personally find it more interesting to see where everyone is leaning on heading as the zb/tt merger looms.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Internet · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies