Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2018 Commonwealth Games
Topic Started: Apr 4 2018, 11:23 AM (49 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
Dark Field Theorist

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/39727264/2018-commonwealth-games-opening-ceremony-kicks-off/

The 2018 Commonwealth Games has kicked off in spectacular style, introducing more than 4000 athletes from 71 countries to an audience of 1.5 billion.

A blast from a didgeridoo, a sprinkling of royal stardust and a strong message of unity lit up the opening ceremony on Australia's Gold Coast on Wednesday.

The three-hour showcase, with the motto 'Share the Dream', celebrates Gold Coast beach life and indigenous culture - with performances from Aussie sensations Delta Goodrem and Ricki-Lee Coulter.

A heavy downpour lashed the 35,000 crowd at Carrara Stadium as the ceremony began, ensuring a wet start to the proceedings for many in the half-covered arena.

Britain's Prince Charles and wife Camilla were among the guests and the heir to the throne was due to officially open the Games later in the gala.

The Prince of Wales will read a message to the crowd written by his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, which has been furled inside a baton for its 388-day journey to the Gold Coast.

I did see a bit of the opening ceremony, and it looked pretty spectacular. Lots of Aboriginal performers there, representing a wide variety of indigenous peoples.

I don't expect I'll watch much of the sport itself, though. As with the Winter Olympics, the time zones aren't great for me :( .
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paul
Member Avatar

Opening Ceremony was a bit cringe worthy tbh.

I know you didn't write it but Ricki-Lee is hardly a sensation, she's almost a nobody :headbrick:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar
Dark Field Theorist

Yeah, I'd never heard of her - although, I've never heard of anybody unless they're really famous or they're work within one of my main areas of interest, so that's not saying much :P .

Anyway, judging from the medal table, Australia have enjoyed a good start to the games, with England a fairly distant second:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/medals/countries

Paul
Member Avatar

Been and gone. Roll on Birmingham I guess. I was bored after a few days.

CJ
Member Avatar
Dark Field Theorist

I have to admit, I watched barely any of it after the last few days (because work and time zones made it impossible).

TBH, the only Commonwealth Games I really cared about were Manchester 2002, partly because it was the first time in my life that something of the sort was hosted here, and partly because I'd just finished primary school and had nothing better to do with my time :P .

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Tremendously Puzzling

I watched a bit of it, but the Winter Olympics will always captivate me more.

Have a lot of respect for the athletes, though. And nice to see some other sports on show, that don't get Olympic coverage.

karinsuezen
No Avatar
Rank 1
[ * ]
i didn't watch it, i don't think that we got it here, or if not it was on very late

but i think that my country did so very well...i wish that they were talked about more, you know like the olympics....

they were a couple of years ago, well that's because we hosted them, but otherwise...nope

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Sport · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies