Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vaping delivers cancer-causing chemicals
Topic Started: Mar 13 2018, 04:42 PM (95 Views)
BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Quote:

Smoking e-cigarettes delivers cancer-causing chemicals that get into the body — and popular fruity flavors appear to be the worst, researchers reported Monday.

They said teenagers who try vaping may be poisoning themselves with many of the same chemicals that make traditional cigarettes so deadly.

Tests on teenagers show that those who smoke tobacco-based cigarettes as well have the highest levels of these chemicals in their bodies, but those who vape e-cigarettes also have higher levels of the cancer-causing chemicals than nonsmokers do, the team at the University of California, San Francisco, found.

“The presence of harmful ingredients in e-cigarette vapor has been established‍; we can now say that these chemicals are found in the body of human adolescents who use these products,” they wrote in their report, published in the journal Pediatrics.
Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/teen-inhale-cancer-causing-chemicals-e-cigarettes-n853611

Well, this seem to apply to teens only but I guess this is a danger to young adults and older too. Just when they all want to give up on smoking and now this had emerged. Shocking, to say the least.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

I can't say I'm surprised by this at all. I've never vaped, nor do I have any desire to do so.

I mean, on balance, it's probably still healthier than smoking - but, that's really not saying much :P .

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Doesn’t surprise me at all.

Quite honestly I always found em annoying anyway. Had various people at my work who would smoke them while working. And it makes so much smoke!

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Megan
Mar 13 2018, 07:57 PM
Had various people at my work who would smoke them while working. And it makes so much smoke!
Don't tell me... they were smoking these inside the premises? :whatthecrap:

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Bry.
Mar 14 2018, 07:34 AM
Megan
Mar 13 2018, 07:57 PM
Had various people at my work who would smoke them while working. And it makes so much smoke!
Don't tell me... they were smoking these inside the premises? :whatthecrap:
Yep...they weren’t supposed to but did. I remember walking into the crew room and it was filled with smoke. Luckily those that did that don’t work there anymore. XD

Mozzie
Member Avatar
Socially Confused

Really anything you breath in like that is going to cause problems, lungs were made for air, not crap.

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

Even if the crap smells like buttered popcorn? :lol:

CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

Maybe, in the future, we'll be able to fit ourselves with lungs made for buttered popcorn.

In which case, I just might be an early adopter :lol: !

ebblr
No Avatar
Rank 1
[ * ]
Vaping is just another example of trying to have your cake and eat it too. Kids are told not to smoke but then given this fake alternative smoking habit that is just as bad as the original. They want to smoke but without consequences. And, instead of just quitting, they stick one more thing in their mouth. It's like saying, I want to be skinny and then eating a box of diet cookies. Seriously, you have just as many calories in something like that and all that fake sugar that can cause as many if not more health problems as 'real' sugar from nature. And, yet this is smoking so you know there would be other issues. If I don't sound sympathetic, it's because this vaping was made out to be as a reasonable alternative, a way to just keep on smoking without the death side effect of traditional cigarettes. Well guess what? There is no easy way out.

GrieferLord
Member Avatar
Tank Sniper

im curious if this was a full independent study done and not something funded by tobacco companies. AFAIK most vapor stuff is glycol based and thats not exactly good to ingest. Though imo ANY smoke you breath is is bad for you and your lungs. Though a a point to be made vaping does have far less chemicals and carcinogens than tobacco company cigs do.

I would like to see just how bad the intake of harmful chemicals is by having a vapor cig smoked via a robot then a filtered and unfiltered cig. i would bet the cig will have far worse overall damaging effects. Still this requires imo further study and perhaps a less harmful substance can be used for the vapor.

I dont mind the vapor stuff and thats coming from someone who grew up around smokers all my life.

Member Avatar

Not surprised

Pinky
Member Avatar

Well I didn't know they were that bad.

Our senior team member smokes it in the staff room. Will that affect my health?

Member Avatar

Pinky
May 14 2018, 12:59 PM
Well I didn't know they were that bad.

Our senior team member smokes it in the staff room. Will that affect my health?
I don't think so. Vapes produce very little second hand smoke compared to regular cigs, if not any at all.

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

As a scientist, I don't find this the least bit surprising. Just because you take one or two components (even the most dangerous) out of an unholy mixture and replace them with a fruity flavour does not mean you remove the potency of what remains to damage the body. And actually, e-cigarettes are worse than normal cigarettes, because a lot of people think that they're harmless.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Health and Lifestyle · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies