Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The "Which forum does this go in?" thread
Topic Started: Feb 24 2018, 11:03 AM (291 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

It's been eight years since The Coffee House opened. Over the course of those years, I've tweaked and adjusted the board layout countless times - and, I still don't think I've got it quite right :lol: . There are still quite a lot of situations where it's not clear where a particular topic should go. I generally say "if in doubt, post it in General Chat" - but, that doesn't always seem satisfactory.

Hence, I've started up this thread. If you'd like to start a topic, but you can't decide where it should go, then this is the place to ask. Or, if you had a hard time deciding, but were able to come to a decision in the end, then this is the place to explain your decision. Or, if you think a topic's been moved incorrectly, then here's where to argue that it was better off in its original location. Hopefully, by doing this, we can establish some precedents - and even make improvements to the board layout :D .

I'll start with one of my own: "Dutch MPs recognise Armenian Genocide". Does this go in Current Events and Politics, because the recognition is a current political event? Or does it go in History and Culture, because the Armenian Genocide is an event from history? In the end, I decided that Current Events and Politics was the best place, because Turkey's non-recognition of the Armenian Genocide is still very relevant to present-day international politics.

So, if you have any questions, explanations or arguments of your own, please go ahead and share them :) !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

queenzelda
Member Avatar
Lady Queen

Ok, a state of emergency has been declared in my state due to all of the heavy rains causing flooding over the last couple of weeks. I argue, it needs to stay in my 'blog thread' due to it being personal to me since I believe the only other member affected by the flooding in the area I'm at is Yami, since he lives close to me irl.

CJ
Member Avatar

Yeah, your blog thread would be a good place for something like that.

Another place where it could go is the "Random Local News" thread - but, your blog thread is fine too :) .

CJ
Member Avatar

A word about my latest thread: "Which candidate do you bet on?". Originally, I was going to put it in Current Events and Politics, but I eventually decided that the What-If board was a more appropriate place, because:

a) Even though the setting is political, there's no actual political content here. The policy platforms of the parties and candidates involved have not been mentioned (and I went as far as picking unusual colours to avoid parallels to real-world politics!);
b) You're being asked what you'd do in a hypothetical scenario. Kind of the point of the What-If board :P .

Contrast this with "How do you vote in this election?", which is another thread concerning a hypothetical scenario, but which is still in Current Events and Politics. I think the difference there is that, in that thread, the hypothetical scenario wasn't really the object of discussion: instead, it was presented as a starting point for a political discussion (about whether you should vote for the person you most agree with, or the person you somewhat agree with who has the best chance of winning). On the other hand, the hypothetical scenario in the new thread is itself the object of discussion: it might lead to discussions about statistics, but certainly no discussions about politics.

(Of course, I can move that thread if people feel strongly that it would be better in the What-If board - but, for now, that's my rationale for keeping it where it is!)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Well, I have left my "Gaming to prevent some aging Symptoms" in health and lifestyle, as it concerns more the seniors' health state and gaming is a lifestyle as well, so yeah. What do you think, staff?
Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar

Yeah, I think it'd be fine in either.

If a topic straddles two forums like that, then I'll typically think to myself, "What kinds of discussions will this topic generate?". In this case, are the discussions likely to be about gaming, or are they likely to be about health?

If most of the discussion ends up being about gaming (rather than health), then I'll move the thread into General Gaming - but, for now, I'll leave it where it is.

Thanks for posting in here :) !

Deleted User
Deleted User

I have put my "Jacobson's Scan" thread in the "Science and Nature" sub-section, because it's a scientific discovery in medicine more than health and lifestyle and I think it'd generate more discussion on this latest scientific discovery in the neuroscience field.
Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar

Thanks for the explanation :) !

Myself, I would have put it in Health and Lifestyle, since it's a discovery directly related to health (specifically, depression) - but, I can understand your reasoning.

Instead of moving it straight away, I'll listen to other members' thoughts on this first :) .

Deleted User
Deleted User

I've posted my latest thread : "My own Chinese Curiosities Pics Thread" in : "Your personal Stuff" well, because it's my own personal Chinese oddities collection I'd like to show everyone on here.
Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar

Not going to argue with that. That's the correct place for it :P .

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

If I was to start a topic about how people we know in real life respond to the idea of forums, or the fact that we use forums, where would it go?

CJ
Member Avatar

I guess The Internet would be the best place for something like that, since it relates to internet forums in general.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Feedback and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies