Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[ti]Red ribbon[/ti]Pyeongchang 2018 Medal Table Prediction Contest
Topic Started: Feb 9 2018, 03:53 PM (69 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Four years ago, for Sochi 2014, we did a prediction contest for the final medal table. Now, the Winter Olympics have come around again, so it's time for another one (as Pokemon73 very kindly reminded me!)

Simply make two predictions here:
  1. The top three nations in the medal table;
  2. The number of overall medals (Gold, Silver and Bronze) that the winner will win.

A couple of clarifications:
  • The two predictions are independent of one another - so, for example, if you predict :germany: Germany will finish 1st, but then :usa: the USA finishes 1st instead, your points for Prediction 2 will be based on the USA's medal count, not Norway's.
  • Should the united Korean team win a medal for the Women's Hockey, this will be counted towards both North Korea and South Korea for this contest.
  • All entries will be locked in on Sunday, 11th February 2018 at 11:59pm GMT. Sorry I didn't get this started before the Opening Ceremony this time; I forgot all about it :( !

Prizes are as follows:
  • 200 Coffee Credits for each nation that finishes in the top 3, in the position you predicted (e.g. you predict :canada: Canada 1st, and they finish 1st);
  • 100 Coffee Credits for each nation that finishes in the top three, but not in the position you predicted (e.g. you predict :canada: Canada 1st, and they finish 3rd);
  • 500 Coffee Credits for guessing the number of medals correctly.
  • 400 CC for being 1 away on the medals, 360CC for 2 away, 320CC for 3 away, and so on, down to 40CC for 10 away.
  • The winner receives a :red-ribbon: Red Ribbon if he/she wins at least 700 Coffee Credits.

My guesses are:

1st place: :usa: USA
2nd place: :norway: Norway
3rd place: :russia: Russia (officially known as "Olympic Athletes from Russia", and competing under a neutral flag, but "Russia" will do for our purposes :P )

Any questions? If not, good luck :) !
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

1. US (10 gold, 8 silver, 7 bronze)
2. Canada
3. Olympic Athletes From Russia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Resident Snark

1) Canada :canada: (11 gold, 7 silver, 8 bronze)
2) Russia :russia:
3) Germany :germany:

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Whoops: I totally forgot to predict the total number of medals :facepalm: .

I predict that the winning nation will win 31 medals. (You don't have to break them down into Gold, Silver and Bronze - but you can if you want, just for fun!)

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

I believe there's a few hours left to enter for anyone interested.

Pokemon73
Member Avatar
Rank 11
1: USA with 29 medals
2: Russia
3: Canada

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Entries are now locked.

Thanks, everyone :) !

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Contests · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies