Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Winter Olympics 2018
Topic Started: Feb 3 2018, 12:21 AM (361 Views)
Moonface
Member Avatar
Rank 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anyone looking forward to the 2018 Winter Olympics or planning to watch any of it?

I'm looking forward to seeing the opening ceremony, and sports such as bobsleigh, skiing, snowboarding, and speed skating (this is one of the best ones to witness awesome crashes and falls I think XD).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paul
Member Avatar

Not my thing, looking forward to the Commonwealth Games more.

CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

It's the sort of thing I'll watch if there's not much else on, but I won't go out of my way to see it.

With it being in South Korea, I expect I'll be in bed or at work during most of the broadcasts - so, I doubt I'll get to see a lot of it this time around :( .

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

I always love watching the ski jumping. I'm going to make a point of seeing it this time too!

It might just be all the snow, but I always enjoy watching the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Olympics!!

CJ
Member Avatar

Did anyone catch the Opening Ceremony today?

Sadly, I didn't, since I was at work - but, I hear there was a strong display of unity between the North Korean and South Korean teams, which is always lovely to see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42945243

queenzelda
Member Avatar
Lady Queen

Nope, I didn't catch any of the Olympic stuff. I usually only watch the ice skating portion (if I can catch it), everything else is kind of boring impo. xp

Moonface
Member Avatar
Rank 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen it yet because for some reason NBC feels the need to air the opening ceremony tonight at 8PM. I haven't got much experience with US TV to know if somewhere else is doing live coverage throughout the day to have been able to catch it when it was actually happening.

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

I'll be watching it every day on NBC/NBCSN.

@Moonface
NBC will tape delay coverage (even if it's not a time zone issue, like Rio 2016) in order to make sure it airs in prime time 8-11 PM then run further coverage. However, barring a few exceptions like their morning news segments they will run 24/7 including some live event coverage as available.
I personally don't fully agree with it, but they do at least dedicate most of the running time across their channels to covering the events which I can appreciate.

gibby
Member Avatar
Rank 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
no dont usually watch , find them pretty boring tbh

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

There was a frightening crash this morning during women's luge.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Hopefully all is ok. :O
She was able to walk away after a pause in the action, but hopefully there's no injuries/side effects sustained from the incident.
Edited by Gaomon274, Feb 13 2018, 02:43 PM.

CJ
Member Avatar

Wow, I do hope she's OK. That could easily have been horrible :O .

One of our own athletes missed out on a potential medal when she crashed out of the 500m short-track speed skating final:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43042302

CJ
Member Avatar

Here's a bit of an unusual one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43084232

Not a lot of athletes have competed in a Summer Olympics and a Winter Olympics - but, now, Tongan athlete Pita Taufatofua has joined their ranks. He competed in Taekwondo at Rio 2016 - where he was noted for his shirtless performance during the Opening Ceremony.

After those games were over, he switched his focus to skiing. He braved the freezing cold to go shirtless again in this year's Opening Ceremony - and then, competed in the 15km cross-country skiing event.

Despite his lack of experience (and, well, the fact that he's from Tonga, a country not known for its alpine climate), he didn't finish last :O ! He came 114th out of 116 finishers - which is quite impressive, given the circumstances :D .

Move over, Jamaica bobsled: the Winter Games have a new underdog!

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

Yeah the NBC broadcast loves him and mentioned him like 2-3 times while I've been watching.

I find it amusing because of how random it is lol.

CJ
Member Avatar

Same here - and I love underdogs, so this story is doubly appealing to me :P .

In other Olympic news, Great Britain has a gold medal, at last :D ! Lizzy Yarnold successfully defended her title in the women's skeleton:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42981272

Team-mate Laura Deas took the bronze medal in the same event. Combined with two earlier bronze medals, this takes Britain's total medal count to four.

CJ
Member Avatar

Russian Olympic athlete Alexander Krushelnitsky, who won a bronze medal with his wife in the curling mixed doubles, has failed a drugs test:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43109290

Of course, the whole point of the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" thing was to allow clean Russian athletes while their country was banned over the doping scandal - so, this looks dreadful for them.

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

I just hope it doesn't lead to a kneejerk reaction about the rest of the OAR team.

I also wonder how this happened, since aren't they supposed to be checking the athletes more than normal due to the circumstances leading to the OAR team's formation in the first place?

CJ
Member Avatar

Yeah, so do I.

If he did take any drugs (performance-enhancing or otherwise), then he's an idiot for jeopardising the future participation of his own compatriots, many of whom have done nothing wrong.

CJ
Member Avatar

And now a second Russian athlete has been banned for doping :angry: :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43180504

Seriously, why do they, of all particpants, feel the need to do this <_< ?

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

Bit late to post this, but I did indeed get to watch the ski jumping, and I'm rather pleased that Kamil Stoch retained his large hill title!

(Also, I watched the Nordic combined and was totally rooting for Franz-Josef Rehrl, who managed to top the ranking after the ski jumping section! Sadly, he couldn't keep it up in the skiing segment, but it was fun watching all the better athletes fail to top his jump!!)

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

Yeah NBC mentioned the second athlete failing.

Surely you'd think after the first one failed that you'd avoid doing anything to get caught cheating but nope.

Apparently the IOC is reviewing whether or not to let the Russian team use their country's flag or continue to use the Olympic one for the closing ceremony, so this sure won't help that.

CJ
Member Avatar

Yep, I'm hoping they'll be able to use their flag, but this won't help that matter :( .

On a more positive note, Billy Morgan has won a bronze in the snowboarding, meaning that Great Britain have won five medals at the Winter Olympics for the first time:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42981477

Although, that's nothing compared to what my second-favourite team have achieved. Norway have won a total of 38 medals - a record for a single Winter Olympics :O :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42981799

Congrats to them!

CJ
Member Avatar

So, Russia won't be allowed to use their flag during the Closing Ceremony. However, their ban will be lifted if there are no more doping violations from Russian athletes at these games:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43186278

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

I had a feeling they wouldn't, since they've been using the Olympic one the entire time, not to mention the two failed athletes which would likely make the IOC view their choice to form the OAR team as justified.

Though I am surprised and pleased that Russia will be able to field the team under their own team and flag again for 2020.

Though, will this extend to the Paralympic team as well? I know I've read that the 2018 team will not even get to use a special team designation like OAR did for the Olympics, they just go into the normal Neutral team.

CJ
Member Avatar

Not necessarily, since the Paralympics are administered by a separate organisation.

I remember that Russia were completely banned from the 2016 Paralympics, but they were allowed to compete in some Olympic sports under their own flag.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Sport · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies