Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Saudi women to watch football for first time
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 05:38 PM (101 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

:saudi-arabia: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42656439 :soccer-ball:

Women in Saudi Arabia are making history this month as they are permitted to watch soccer live from the stands for the first time.

They will be present at grounds in the country's three major cities.

First off, female spectators will enter the King Fahd Stadium in the nation's capital, Riyadh, on Friday to support their teams as Al-Ahli take on Al-Batin in the Saudi Professional League competition.

Saudi Arabia has been slowly granting additional rights to women in recent months in response to demands by activists - but how significant is this latest move?

All unaccompanied adult women are permitted to enter stadiums in three major cities - Riyadh, Jeddah and Dammam.

Following Friday's match at the King Fahd Stadium, female spectators are invited to enter the stands at the King Abdullah Sports City in Jeddah on Saturday for Al-Hilal versus Al-Ittihad.

Good to see this is still going ahead. It's a small reform - but then, it's one of several that have been enacted recently (see here for another example), and I'm hoping it leads on to greater things.

But, for now, I hope the women (and the men) enjoy the match :) !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bry.
Member Avatar

Power to the women of Saudi Arabia, eh? As if letting them go behind the wheel was the first good thing for the country to stop feeling so backward.
Edited by Bry., Jan 12 2018, 07:22 PM.

Jarkko
Member Avatar
Christian. Exterminator of Spammers.

I'm hoping it leads to bigger things as well. Rome wasn't built in a day. I will be watching with cautious optimism. I still think Saudi Arabia has a LONG way to go, though.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frankie
Member Avatar
An Original Troll since '88
[ *  *  * ]
The confusement was massive I bet LOL

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Football (all codes) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies