Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Winner?
Spartan 0 (0%)
Roman 2 (100%)
Total Votes: 2
Spartan vs Roman legionary
Topic Started: Dec 30 2017, 07:24 AM (144 Views)
JHG
Member Avatar

Roman legionary(Pax Romana)
Posted Image
The backbone of one of the greatest ancient empires.
Spartan
Posted Image
Among the mightiest Ancient Greek peoples, the Spartans were a deadly force to be reckoned with.

Spartan has dory spear, xiphos and shield. Roman has gladius, pilum, and scutum.
Bonus backstory: The Spartan Hegemony lasts longer than in our timeline and the Battle of Leuctra never happens. The Romans set their sights on Greece and feeling threatened from this encroachment, Sparta declares war on Rome.
Edited by JHG, Jan 10 2018, 06:44 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

Not a lot to differentiate these two. I suppose the Spartan's armour looks pretty solid and bulky, whereas the Roman's armour would allow for more mobility - but, beyond that, they seem pretty evenly matched.

I'll go with the Roman legionary - but, I will admit that coming from a town which was once a Roman fort does make me biased :P .

JHG
Member Avatar

I vote Roman too. They’re just as strong and well trained. It also helps that the gladius is better than the dory for singles matches(although drawing the xiphos would make sense.) That and the Lorica Segmentata only weighs 9 kg so the legionary gets excellent protection and easy facilitation of movement. Just see this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xm11yAXeegg
The Spartan however, would put up a great fight and this would be very close.
Edited by JHG, Dec 31 2017, 08:48 AM.

CJ
Member Avatar

JHG
Dec 31 2017, 08:47 AM
Wow, that's impressive :O .

I thought the Lorica Segmentata would allow for better mobility than whatever the Spartan was wearing, but I didn't think it would be that good!

JHG
Member Avatar

The Spartans were also trained to move in armor so I’d guess they’d still be able to move fast if needed. Although I haven’t figured out the weight of Greek hoplite armor, I would say about 15 or so kilograms.

JHG
Member Avatar

Weapon comparisons
Pilum vs Dory: The pilum is meant for throwing but can thrust whereas the reverse is true for the dory. The pilum has ranged options but the dory is better built. Spartan wins.
Gladius vs Xiphos: Two similar weapons built for stabbing or slashing at close range. The gladius is steel while the xiphos is iron. Roman wins.
Lorica segmenta and galea vs Cuirass, Corinthian helmet, arm guards and greaves: Lighter armor for the Roman and arguably equal protection. The legionary has greater speed one on one(in a phalanx, this would be moot.) Roman wins.
Scutum vs Hoplon: One rectangular shield against one round shield, both made for protection and both fully capable of clobbering. Seems even.

CJ
Member Avatar

Sounds like a good comparison :) !

I should also at that the pilum probably isn't going to get thrown in 1v1 combat. If it was a formation of legionaries, all throwing theirs at once at a formation of Spartans, then it would be a different story - but, one pilum thrown by one legionary would be easy enough for one Spartan to block.

JHG
Member Avatar

CJ
Mar 4 2018, 04:18 PM

I should also at that the pilum probably isn't going to get thrown in 1v1 combat. If it was a formation of legionaries, all throwing theirs at once at a formation of Spartans, then it would be a different story - but, one pilum thrown by one legionary would be easy enough for one Spartan to block.
What I took from this is that the Romans would fare even better in an army fight.

CJ
Member Avatar

JHG
Mar 5 2018, 10:14 PM
CJ
Mar 4 2018, 04:18 PM

What I took from this is that the Romans would fare even better in an army fight.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Spartans would be very much on the defensive if they were in army formation - although, the length of their xiphos would make them good at defending.

JHG
Member Avatar

Very true.
BTW, how plausible is my hypothetical scenario?

CJ
Member Avatar

Seems entirely plausible that the Battle of Leuctra could have been averted. When the Spartans arrived in Boeotia, the six Boeotian guards were divided as to whether to offer battle - and, they only did so when a seventh arrived and agreed that they should. That seventh guard could have never arrived, or could have opposed offering battle.

JHG
Member Avatar

To be fair for the Spartan, they did train for singles matches and they’re well armored too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Face-off Arena · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies