Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Facebook chat app for younger children
Topic Started: Dec 5 2017, 06:46 PM (50 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
Dark Field Theorist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42232475

How young is too young to be on social media?

Strictly speaking, only those aged 13 and over are allowed to use Facebook. But the prevention methods are trivial, meaning more than 20 million under-13-year-olds are thought to be using the network.

So on Monday, Facebook launched its first app tailored for young users. It's a ringfenced network that needs parental approval before use, and will not - the company has promised - be used to feed data for advertising.

Messenger Kids is a simplified, locked-down version of the messaging app Facebook today offers those over 13.

If two children want to be friends on Messenger Kids, that friendship has to be approved by a parent for each child. Once confirmed to be safe, friends can do live video chat and send pictures and text to each other.

Okay, I can sort of see why Facebook are doing this. They prohibit under-13s from signing up; however, they've resigned themselves to the fact that they can't stop these people from lying about their age, and they feel like it's irresponsible of them to do nothing to help keep these people safe.

However, I don't expect this to be very effective. After all, if they can't force under-13s to stay off Facebook, then they won't be able to force them to use this either. Also, there are numerous social networks geared towards younger children - so, if a child is on Facebook, it's probably because they don't want to be on one of those. It's hard to imagine them wanting to adopt a feature that makes Facebook more like the kids' networks that they're avoiding!

So, will this work?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bry.
Member Avatar

From a personal point of view, children shouldn't be dabbling with social media, let alone technology itself. I'm not so sure about this myself.

Nilla
Member Avatar
Dovahkiin

I can just only imagine the pedophiles lined up to get to children.

CJ
Member Avatar
Dark Field Theorist

Well, it's difficult to see how pedophiles would take advantage of this, since any friendships need to be approved by parents at both ends.

However, over 100 child health experts have urged Facebook to scrap this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42872603

queenzelda
Member Avatar
Lady Queen

Yea, kids don't need to be on social media anyway. They have a lot of crap to put up with besides getting themselves 'out there' is my feeling.

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Tremendously Puzzling

Really no need for kids to be exposed to social media. It's damaging enough for us older folk...

MegaphoneStallone
Member Avatar

1. Money before morals is Facebook's mantra.
2. Facebook has seen that their site has become uncool with early teens in place of things like SnapChat, so they're trying to snap 'em up and get them hooked while they're young and impressionable. When I asked a 14 year-old family member about FB last year, she scoffed at me and said 'Yeah, that's for old people. No one uses Facebook.'
3. This is disgustingly perverse. It's bad enough Facebook is destroying adult society to data mine and make Cuckerberg rich, but now they're going to literally abuse and sell children too. Disgusting.

And finally, I don't care what age you are...

LOOK UP HOW TO DELETE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT PROPERLY AND DO IT! BE YOUR OWN PERSON AND NOT A F***ING PRODUCT!

We survived as a social creature before 'the social network' data enslavement, and we will after it.
Edited by MegaphoneStallone, Jan 31 2018, 03:26 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Internet · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies