Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Women-only racing series planned for 2019
Topic Started: Nov 28 2017, 06:31 PM (172 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
Dark Field Theorist

:checkered-flag: http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11147682/womens-motor-racing-series-proposed-by-london-based-firm :checkered-flag:

Plans for a women-only racing series are being drawn up for a potential 2019 launch, according to reports.

The Press Association cite a document circulated earlier this year in which a London-based company proposed a summer series containing six races featuring leading female drivers from around motorsport.

A spokesperson was quoted as saying: "There will be no announcement for a number of months as we are undertaking a lot of research and completing our strategy.

"Starting something from scratch takes an enormous amount of time to get right."

The report comes more than two years after former Formula 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone floated the idea of a separate championship for female drivers to run on Grand Prix weekends.

To be honest, I don't see this getting off the ground, because there aren't enough high-calibre female drivers to support it. Furthermore, the few women who are good enough (like Simona de Silvestro) wouldn't be interested: they'd be better off staying in their current series.

Besides, having a separate series just cements the idea that "women are inferior", when actually, motorsport is an area where women can theoretically compete on equal terms with men. It's true that there are very few women in the top flight of motorsport right now; however, I think that has more to do with institutional bias in previous decades, and a resulting lack of role models for young girls today, than with any inherent physiological disadvantage.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

Yeah I'm not ok doing a series that's only for one group of people.
Racing should be inclusive, not exclusive.

However, I'm not against them doing something like NASCAR's Drive For Diversity program where they try to help people get a chance in NASCAR.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar
Dark Field Theorist

Yeah, I wouldn't be against that either - although, there wouldn't be any point in starting it in Formula One right away, because there aren't any women right now who would be good enough for a Formula One race seat on merit. If there were, then I have little doubt that they'd be in the sport already - because it would represent a tremendous marketing opportunity!

Instead, they'd have to start this program in the lower formulae, and build it up from there. If they started it in 2018 in the lowest junior categories, then they could probably look at Formula 2 by 2020, and Formula 1 in 2021-22.

gibby
Member Avatar
Rank 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
personally i think it's a waste of time bit like women's football

CJ
Member Avatar
Dark Field Theorist

Well, at least women's football is starting to take off now, and getting to the point where more people are beginning to take it seriously. Though, I'll admit, I've never watched a match myself!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Motorsport · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies