Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kvyat out, Gasly in at Toro Rosso
Topic Started: Sep 26 2017, 04:58 PM (73 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

:checkered-flag: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41397848 :checkered-flag:

Pierre Gasly will make his Formula 1 debut with Toro Rosso at this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix.

The 21-year-old Frenchman, who won the GP2 series last year, will replace Daniil Kvyat "for the next Grands Prix", Toro Rosso said in a statement.

"He is being given a chance to prove himself in F1," the team added.

"This is a great opportunity for me," said Gasly, who is reserve and test driver for Red Bull, Toro Rosso's sister team.

"I feel as ready as I can be, having had to be prepared for anything in my role as Red Bull Racing's third driver this year.

"I will do my best to perform well with Toro Rosso during these coming races."

Good luck to Gasly! If he performs well, there's a good chance that he'll be getting a full-time Toro Rosso drive next year.

Kind of hard on Kvyat, but really, I think he's been woeful all year: when he hasn't been crashing, I've often forgotten he's even been in the races. Is this the beginning of the end of his career?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

Poor Kvyat.

Shuffled out of RBR mid-season last year (iirc), now booted mid-season.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Yeah, he was shuffled out of the main Red Bull team early in 2016, to make way for Max Verstappen.

I felt sympathetic for Kvyat at the time; however, I did expect him to re-assert himself at Toro Rosso, which he hasn't done at all. He's been destroyed by Carlos Sainz Jr ever since then - and, really, I think Singapore was the final straw. After the Ferraris and Verstappen crashed, it was a rare opportunity for lower teams to score points - and Sainz stepped up to the plate and delivered a commendable 4th place, whereas Kvyat just binned it entirely of his own accord. So, TBH, I've run out of sympathy for Kvyat now :( .

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

There's a further twist. Gasly won't be able to race in Austin, because he'll instead be racing in Super Formula (which he's been racing in and leading this year - and now, he has a chance to clinch the title):

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasly-austin-super-formula-finale-964670/

No word yet on who will be replacing Gasly. It probably won't be Sainz, because he's already off to Renault; and it definitely won't be Kvyat, because he's already in the other Toro Rosso. However, some are suggesting that it could be Brendon Hartley (a 27-year-old from New Zealand who has never raced in Formula One, but used to be Red Bull's reserve driver a few years ago).

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

I believe Hartley just raced in IMSA WeatherTech for one of the Nissan Prototype cars (#2/#22), and I believe has been rumored for IndyCar stuff.

Wouldn't Palmer be an option since he'd be out of the #30?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Yeah, I guess Palmer would be an option. Not an especially inspiring option, but he does have plenty of experience with current cars, if nothing else!

Or, I guess they could keep Palmer at Renault for one more race, and Sainz Jr at Toro Rosso for one more race. I'm not sure how difficult that would be to arrange. (It'd probably be simpler than putting Palmer in the Toro Rosso, since they then wouldn't have to do a seat fitting for Palmer or get him familiar with a car he's never driven)

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Well, they're going with Brendon Hartley, who becomes New Zealand's first F1 driver since Mike Thackwell in 1984:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41614891

Must be a very nice surprised for him: he largely fell off the radar when he left Red Bull at the end of 2010. Good luck to him :) !

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Motorsport · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies