Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Bad Maps Thread
Topic Started: Jul 20 2017, 10:47 PM (315 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

Here's a thread to share and discuss maps which are poorly-drawn, display inaccurate information, or are otherwise terrible :P .

I'll kick it off with one of Emperor Tigerstar's videos. He has a history book which he says was fun to read, but rather lacking in the cartography department....and he picked several of the worst examples to share with us in the video below:

I'd love to see what other maps you've got - but I honestly think that American Civil War map at the end of the video is going to take some beating :lol: !
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jarkko
Member Avatar
Christian. Exterminator of Spammers.

Posted Image

An oil company tried to make a BC channel look much safer for tanker travel than it actually is. FAIL.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

Wow >_< .

Judging from Google Maps, the channel is still at least 2 miles wide in most places (even with the islands), so it should still be possible for tankers to get through safely - but it doesn't look like the easiest channel in the world to navigate!

Jarkko
Member Avatar

No, and it's very sensitive temperate rainforest ecosystem in the area as well.

Jarkko
Member Avatar

Posted Image

:lol:

No love for North Carolina, apparently. :P

CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

:facepalm:

And it's not even like their second "West Virginia" is even west of anything, except a load of sea water :lol: !
Edited by Jarkko, Sep 12 2017, 01:30 AM.

Jarkko
Member Avatar

lol... emoticon code fail :lol: But yeah. Some people shouldn't be cartographers.

CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

I just discovered that Railroad Tycoon II's map for the 'Southern USA' scenario has some seriously wonky state borders. I don't expect perfection from a 400x300 map, but I would have thought something more accurate than this would be possible:

Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

Some of the worst failings are in the north-eastern corner of the map. Apparently, there's no District of Columbia, and Washington DC is sitting right in the middle of Maryland (standing in for Baltimore, I guess?):

Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

As an added bonus, I right-clicked the square in the corner (which, on this map, should be part of New Jersey)....and I discovered that they've just made New Jersey a part of Pennsylvania :headdesk: .

EDIT: Here's the kicker. On further inspection, I discovered that they've made the Bahamas a part of Kansas :rofl: !!!!
Edited by CJ, Sep 22 2017, 06:58 PM.

CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

Making the Åland Islands a part of Sweden instead of Finland would be an easy mistake to make. Making them a part of Russia, on the other hand....is not an easy mistake to make!

Now, if this map had been set in 1917 or earlier, the Åland Islands being a part of Russia would have been correct. However, that's only because the whole of Finland was part of Russia then - whereas this game starts in 1950, by which point Finland was very much independent!

[NOTE: Of course, the Russian Federation didn't exist in 1950 either! However, RRT2 doesn't support territorial borders which change mid-game, and this map is supposed to run from 1950 to 2000, by which time the Russian Federation did exist. Should I give them a pass for that? Probably not - but I'm going to, since it's nowhere near as bad as making the Bahamas part of Kansas anyway :P ]

CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

Spot the mistake here:

Posted Image
(Click to enlarge; Source - and answer: Here)

Jarkko
Member Avatar

Found it. Gimboids. :P

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
NASCAR Fanatic

I don't get how those US state ones happen lol. Surely someone would've noticed?

I especially don't get the one that claims it sourced the info from the NWS. :P

CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

Yeah, you'd think someone would notice :P !

There are also a lot of maps which are missing New Zealand. So many, in fact, that there's an entire subreddit devoted to them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MapsWithoutNZ/

Most unforgivable of all was this one from the New Zealand government's own website :facepalm: :
https://www.reddit.com/r/MapsWithoutNZ/comments/6he4mz/nz_gov_404_page/

Jarkko
Member Avatar

That was on a 404 page. I think it was intended to be funny. :P It says, "we're sorry, something's missing!" and the map has New Zealand missing, along with the Baltic and Caspian seas, the Great Lakes, the island of Sulawesi, and even a huge chunk of Hudson Bay! :lol:

CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

Well, if it was an intentional joke that sailed right over my head, I at least take comfort from the fact that I wasn't alone in falling for it :P !

Jarkko
Member Avatar

Well, if it wasn't an intentional joke, I'd still find it funny... that a government could derp so hard on maps. :headdesk: That's why I think it was a joke. What government of a large-island country would post a world map where it wasn't even there?

CJ
Member Avatar
Sausage Brain

Here's a map I stumbled on earlier today, comparing London to Tokyo:

Posted Image
(Source: Dr Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj. Dunno who made it; he just tweeted it :P )

Now, it's quite a visually stunning comparison. Unfortunately, it's completely misleading. The thing is, this "Greater Tokyo Area" consists of eight of Japan's prefectures: Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma, Saitama, and Yamanashi. That's basically "All of the prefectures which lie at least partially within Tokyo's metropolitan area". However, these eight prefectures extend quite a lot further than Tokyo's metro area does: they also include quite a lot of sparsely-populated rural areas, as a quick look at Google Maps shows.

But, it's even worse than that. This "Greater London" is an administrative division created in 1965, to encompass London's urban area as it existed at the time. Since 1965, London has expanded outwards, as this map of today's London urban area shows. And that's just the urban area: if we expand our definition to the metropolitan area (to include further-out commuter towns such as Luton and Maidstone), then we'll end up with a large chunk of south-east England, about five times the size of the red area on the map. (Of course, we'll also be including large swathes or rural countryside - but then, so does this Greater Tokyo Area!)

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest :P

Jarkko
Member Avatar

^This is why I like Statistics Canada's "Urban Area" option on their interactive maps. :P It allows for fairer comparison.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · History, Culture and Philosophy · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies