Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Not-So-Happy Feet; Penguin RPG
Topic Started: Aug 20 2016, 09:35 PM (3,540 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

A flock of penguins have been left stranded at the North Pole....on the opposite side of the world to their homeland. Somehow, they need to find their way home....but in order to get there, they'll need to traverse many foreign and distant lands!

Purely for the sake of this RP, we'll operate on the assumption that the penguins and the humans can understand each other. Quite how that works, I don't know - but hopefully it'll make for a more interesting and eventful RP :P .

Here's a world map, which I'll update every now and then to show the route across the world that the penguins take:

Posted Image

We'll start when we have four people, or in one week's time, whichever is sooner. In order to join, simply fill out the following form:

Name: Whizzy
Species: Emperor Penguin
Personality: Is always very cheerful and energetic, even when there appears to be no hope. However, this does sometimes lead to him getting on other penguins' nerves.
Anything else: Can swim nearly twice as quickly as a typical emperor penguin. However, he doesn't have a very good sense of direction, and is likely to get lost quickly!

Enjoy :) !
Edited by CJ, Apr 1 2017, 01:09 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

Name: Cope
Species: Humboldt Penguin
Personality: A bit of a schemer who always has an idea for every situation. Describes himself as brave, but foolhardy would be a more appropriate term.
Anything else: Has an irrational fear of music.

CJ
Member Avatar

OOC: Accepted!

Still three days left for people to join, before I start this.

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Name: Cara
Species: Human
Personality: Cara is a rather hyper child. She's always on the look out for action and loves to mess with others.
Anything else: Cara was recently adbanded, though its not certain why. She doesn't really seem bothered by that. She also is obsessed with penguins.

CJ
Member Avatar

OOC: Accepted - and it's time for us to start :) !

IC: Whizzy rubbed his eyes with his flippers as he woke up, completely disoriented and confused. That was the roughest night he'd ever had, and he didn't recognize his surroundings when he woke up. It was too hot for him: there was still ice, but even so, it was far warmer than his native Antarctica.

Once Whizzy had become more acclimatised to the temperature, and was feeling a bit less groggy, he waddled over to another penguin - somewhat relieved that he wasn't alone. "Wh....where are we?"

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Not far away cara who had been asleep on the ground woke up. She sat up yawning, then blinked as she thought she had heard a voice. She slowly got up looking around.

In the distance she saw something. She moved. Loser, then saw penguins! Grinning happily she dashed over. "Penguins!" She cried tackling one.

CJ
Member Avatar

As Whizzy was looking around to try and work out where he was, he felt himself being wrenched to the ground by an overly excitable human child. "OW! What was that for :angry: ???" He gave the child a light slap on the head with his flipper, as a warning not to do it again.

When Whizzy got back up, he noticed a small black device with two knobs and a TV screen, which was embedded into the snow not far away. "I wonder whether it still works?" he asked.

After messing around with the knobs for a little bit, the device began to crackle - and then, a few seconds later, it began to sneak. "Welcome to the Modernized Avian Global Navigation Assistant - or, MAGNA for short. Your current latitude is +88.223. Your current longitude is +1.237. The nearest landmark to your current location is the Geographic North Pole. Please input the co-ordinates of your destination, and MAGNA will suggest possible courses for you to take."

Whizzy sighed; this all went completely over his head. Perhaps someone else could help him?

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Cara whined, looking pouty. She went over to him again this time simply hugging him. She giggled happily. "So soft!" she then turned her attention to what he was looking at. "Oh! It looks like a tv!" she cried as she poked at some random buttons.

CJ
Member Avatar

As she was messing around with MAGNA, Cara accidentally activated something. "Thank you for entering your destination. The assistant will now search the routes that are currently available to you.

MAGNA started crackling again as it scanned the world for pathways that Cara and the penguins could take. After a few seconds, its disembodied voice returned: "The Assistant could locate three viable paths. For the quickest access to land, travel south-west, to the north-eastern tip of the island of Greenland. However, if you are a strong swimmer or can fly for long distances, a more direct route takes you directly south, across the Arctic Ocean. Or, if you are in search of a more scenic route, we would recommend travelling south-east, to the island of Svalbard."

Posted Image

"Please tap the screen again to make your selection."

(OOC: We don't all have to make the same choice here. We can all agree to take the same route, or we can split up. However, if we do that, only one of us can take MAGNA with us!)

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Cara looked completely confused. She looked to the Penguins. "Um...it's showing funny stuff!" She said pointing to it. "And it can talk!"

CJ
Member Avatar

"Umm, let me think about this...." Whizzy tried to make sense of what MAGNA was telling him. He hadn't understood a word of what it was saying before; however, now that it was displaying a map with three destinations in different colours, he thought he could at least guess at what it was saying. Now, all he needed to do was to explain it in a manner which a distressed 7-year-old child could understand.

"I know what it's saying. To see pretty snowmen, press the green button. To see pretty fish, press the blue button. To see pretty trees, press the orange button."

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Cara's face lit up. "Ooo! I like snowmen! And fishies!" She cried hopping up and down excitedly. She looked at the buttons not sure what to decide. "What does Mr. Penguin wanna see?"

CJ
Member Avatar

Whizzy scratched his head for a bit, trying to make his mind up. "Well, I do feel like a good swim, but I do know that humans aren't as strong swimmers as us penguins, so we probably shouldn't take the blue route. And I don't really fancy going to see snow....I get to see that all the time where I come from. So I don't think we should take the green route. Trees, on the other hand....I've heard that they're beautiful, but I've never actually seen one for myself. So I guess I would like to take the orange route, if everybody else is OK with that."

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Cara clapped her hands happily. "Orange, orange!" She cheered. "I wanna see pretty trees too!" She cried giving the penguin another hug.

CJ
Member Avatar

Whizzy smiled. "Yay, I'm glad we can agree :D !"

When he punched the orange button to confirm his selection, MAGNA began to crackle again; he waited for it to process his input and give further instructions.

Whizzy and his friends didn't have to wait very long. "Thank you for choosing to travel to the island of Svalbard. MAGNA will now switch to satellite navigation mode, to assist you on your journey. Have a safe travel!" Once again, he didn't understand a word of this - but it all became clearer when MAGNA began to display the lakes and icebergs he could see in front of him - as well as an arrow which told him which way to travel.

"Okay, everyone: see those two icebergs floating in the distance? We'll need to swim between those. Follow me!"

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

While all this was going on, Cope was eavesdropping, wondering whether to follow these foolhardy penguins or not. After all, what difference is there really going to be back on the South Pole?

"Hmph...strength in numbers, I suppose."

He began watch the penguins as they started to swim, waiting for the right moment to follow unnoticed.

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Cara pouted, not looking thrilled about swimming. "Um...I can't swim wells..." she said, looking a little worried and nervous looking to the water uncertainly.

CJ
Member Avatar

One of the colony's biggest and strongest penguins was happy to help. "Don't worry - you can ride on my back. Just make sure to hold on tight! And, Whizzy, make sure you don't go too far ahead of me: we don't want this to end like it did last time!"

"Sure thing, Hulk", Whizzy nodded, recalling his previous failed journey that got them lost in the Australian outback. That was terrifying: it took them three whole weeks to get home!

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

"Ooo a new penguin to hug!" Cara cried as she dashed over hugging Hulk tightly while giggling.

CJ
Member Avatar

Hulk was more than happy to be hugged by Cara. As giant as he was, he was a gentle giant indeed.

However, while Cara was busy hugging him, Whizzy shot off into the distance, incorrectly assuming that Cara, Hulk and the rest of the flock were close behind....

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

Wheezy's sudden break for freedom startled Cope, who had not expected one penguin to start off alone.

"That guy must have a death wish."

Sighing, he made his own break in an attempt to catch up.

CJ
Member Avatar

Whizzy noticed that he was on a collision course with the iceberg on the right, and tried launching himself into the air to avoid it. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't quite get high enough: he slammed into the surface of the iceberg, bounced off it (sending him flying 30ft above sea level), and crashed into the ice back where he had begun.

He sighed as his face went red with embarrassment. "Man, this happens every time. Cope, Hulk: you lead the way...."

(OOC: Hulk is an NPC, so any of us can control him. Though, I guess Maroon should probably control him while Cara's riding him :P )

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

Cara laughed loudly greatly amused by Whizzy's short 'trip.' "You flew!" she cried sounding both amused and impressed.

Hulk simply shook his head. "I told you not to go too far ahead." he said while pulling the still giggling Cara onto his back.

CJ
Member Avatar

"Yes....yes, you did...." Whizzy said, continuing to blush.

He slowly got himself back up, waddled towards the edge of the ice, and waited there for everyone else to get a little further ahead.

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

"Take the lead, eh? That, I can do!"

Cope picked up speed as he started to head for the icebergs, making sure he didn't leave the other penguins trailing too far behind him.

"Do try and keep up, folks!"

CJ
Member Avatar

"Oh, keep up, I can do that!" Whizzy got going and sped up again. As he approached the icebergs, he slowed down a bit so that he could carefully negotiate his way between them.

Once he had cleared the icebergs, he sped up again. Unfortunately, he went a little too quickly, and crashed right into the back of Hulk. "OWWWW!"

Megan
Member Avatar
Ferret Queen

"Jeez!" Hulk cried as he was rammed into. "Can't you ever watch where you're going?" he complained, though he wasn't really angered, more annoyance.

Cara gave a whimper, not quite liking being whammed into. She whined her eyes filling with tears.

CJ
Member Avatar

Whizzy bobbed up and down in the water, rubbing his head after the impact against Hulk. "Ow....that....hurt...."

As the shock died down, he noticed the other penguins in the flock shooting past him, until even the last few stragglers had gone. He tried to get going again; however, his headache made him too weak to swim at anything like the pace he had reached before, so he just swam at the back of the pack for the remainder of the journey.

CJ
Member Avatar

After Whizzy's difficulty getting going, the rest of the journey was very uneventful. The waters were calm, Whizzy managed to swim just slowly enough to avoid hitting anyone else, and Hulk managed to keep Cara steady on his back.

Sadly, when the colony arrived at Svalbard, Whizzy couldn't help but feel a bit let down by the complete lack of foliage. "I'm sorry, guys....I know I said there would be pretty trees here, but....I was just guessing. I've actually never been here, so I didn't know. But, hey: look at those pretty rock formations over there!"

OOC: Map in the opening post updated :) .

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

"Hmm...how curious", Cope noted as he examined their new surroundings. "I wonder if getting to the top of these rocks will give us a good view of the island?"

With that, he started climbing...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies