Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

This board is closed and will be kept as an archive. Please head to our new home at tch-forum.com

(Existing members: Please check your PMs for your password on the new board. If you do not have a PM, then please send one to me)

Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Favourite/Least favourite flags? [Load warning]
Topic Started: Jun 28 2012, 02:45 PM (3,366 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

Let's face it, this topic could legitimately go in any one of about five different forums. However, I think flag designs are more like art than history or politics, so here it is.

So, what are your favourite flags? These can be national flags, sub-national flags (e.g. of US states), flags of organisations, historical flags, fictitious flags, anything.

I would say that I like the flags of the UK and Norway, but I won't, because you'd all call me biased - and you'd have a valid point :P . So, looking elsewhere in the world, I've always liked the flag of Mozambique, mainly because it's so distinctive (with that AK-47 with a bayonet and all):

Posted Image

The only thing with this one is that bits of it are symbolic of their struggle for independence and their links with the former USSR, so it is a bit out of date, and maybe it's time to change it. It'll be a pity, though, and I think this flag will be a tough act to follow.

I'm also going to submit the US flag here. It's got good symbolism, it's very distinctive and instantly recognizable (even in greyscale/thumbnail form, which is more than can be said of a lot of flags), and it's not that hard to reproduce:

Posted Image

Which ones are your favourites?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Jarkko
Member Avatar
Christian. Exterminator of Spammers.

:lol:

CJ
Member Avatar

The funny thing is, that pun wasn't even intentional. I only saw it after I finished typing my post and read it over :lol: !

Nick
Member Avatar
Glorified Abacus
[ *  *  * ]
CJ
Feb 9 2018, 07:19 PM
I only saw it after I finished typing my post and read it over :lol: !
Oh wow, I bet that was a shocking realization.

I'm not a huge flag person, but someone showed me an old flag of Ottawa's, and it's hilariously bad:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Jarkko
Member Avatar

Eww. The coat of arms in particular is hideous.

CJ
Member Avatar

Looks like someone looked up the coat of arms from the internet and then made the flag in MS Paint :P .

I'd at least lose the purple; have the blue and the red on the ends of the flag; and have some light colour in the middle. Purple can look good on flags, but I've never seen it done by a real-world nation (which is why I had to link to a CyberNations flag instead!)

JHG
Member Avatar

Wish I saw this in my lifetime:
Posted Image

Jarkko
Member Avatar

I remember an old book of my Grandpa's that had flippable UK flag crosses meant to combine to create the Union Jack. Sometimes I'd "experiment" with those a little. :P

I like the flags of some of the autonomous republics within Russia. Unlike most of the Soviet-era flags, I find they have character. They may be simple in some cases, but they either have neat design or ethnic imagery I can get behind. Take for example Mordovia (left) and Udmurtia (right), with their traditional crosses. These are symbols that feature in the ethnic embroidery.

Posted ImagePosted Image

CJ
Member Avatar

Nice :D .

Going back to least favourite flags, about half of the US state flags (the ones that are blue with a seal) came up early on in the topic. However, my least favourite of all of those is probably the flag of Montana. On the left is their previous state flag (prior to 1981); on the right is their current state flag (since 1981):

Posted Image Posted Image

I mean, when you make that change to your flag, it's pretty much a straight-up admission that you've failed at creating a distinctive symbol.

CJ
Member Avatar

On the other hand, I think it's hard to do better than Colorado's state flag:

Posted Image

Not only is the 'C' a stunning and instantly-memorable graphical element, but I just love the symbolism that's going on here. It's not just that 'C' is the first letter of Colorado's name: it's also the first letter of 'Centennial State' (the state's official nickname). It's called that because it gained statehood in 1876, 100 years after the Declaration of Independence - and, the Roman numeral for '100' just happens to be 'C'!

I know the guidelines for good flag design say "Don't use lettering" - but, this is one heck of an exception to that :O .

Crooked Crow
Member Avatar
overconfidence leads to irony
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hope a 2 month bump is alright. I enjoy vexillology, got into it a few months ago.

SAN MARINO

Posted Image

Probably my favourite flag. I love it. I want to visit someday, too. It's gorgeous. San Marino is the oldest republic in the world, and second oldest country, being founded in 301 AD.

BHUTAN

Posted Image

Bhutan- literally has a dragon. In their native tongue, Bhutan translates to "Thunder Dragon." Fitting.

BRUNEI

Posted Image

A shrine, of sorts. I find it very soothing and aesthetic, unique, too. The crest and hands are an excellent touch. A lot of thought went into this design.

BOTSWANA

Posted Image

I just absolutely adore anything to do with cyan or baby blue. I love the simplicity.

ZAMBIA

Posted Image

Look at that eagle. Badass.

:tch-crooked-crow:
Edited by Crooked Crow, Jun 3 2018, 06:08 AM.

BrynStevens
Member Avatar

No mate. Look at this badass eagle, for Montenegro's flag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

CJ
Member Avatar

@Crooked Crow: Nice choices there. Personally, I like flags with light blue on them: I guess it's a calming colour which suggests peace and serenity. And, yes, a two-month (or even two-year) gravedig is fine in these parts :D !

@Bry: Yes, I love that flag too. Not just because of the eagle, but also because of the red and gold combination, and also the border (which IMO is another underused feature on world flags of today)

Crooked Crow
Member Avatar
overconfidence leads to irony
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
BrynStevens
Jun 3 2018, 09:55 AM
No mate. Look at this badass eagle, for Montenegro's flag.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Yeah, the more aesthetic version of Albania.

I enjoy the green of Zambia's flag, too.

:tch-crooked-crow:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · History, Culture and Philosophy · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies