Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Favourite/Least favourite flags? [Load warning]
Topic Started: Jun 28 2012, 02:45 PM (3,317 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
A very minor case of serious brain damage

Let's face it, this topic could legitimately go in any one of about five different forums. However, I think flag designs are more like art than history or politics, so here it is.

So, what are your favourite flags? These can be national flags, sub-national flags (e.g. of US states), flags of organisations, historical flags, fictitious flags, anything.

I would say that I like the flags of the UK and Norway, but I won't, because you'd all call me biased - and you'd have a valid point :P . So, looking elsewhere in the world, I've always liked the flag of Mozambique, mainly because it's so distinctive (with that AK-47 with a bayonet and all):

Posted Image

The only thing with this one is that bits of it are symbolic of their struggle for independence and their links with the former USSR, so it is a bit out of date, and maybe it's time to change it. It'll be a pity, though, and I think this flag will be a tough act to follow.

I'm also going to submit the US flag here. It's got good symbolism, it's very distinctive and instantly recognizable (even in greyscale/thumbnail form, which is more than can be said of a lot of flags), and it's not that hard to reproduce:

Posted Image

Which ones are your favourites?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hedgehog121
Member Avatar
Rank 9
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've always liked the Iranian flag, it's very unique.

Posted Image

Same for the Saudi flag:

Posted Image

But I think the most recognizable and most symbolic flag in history is the US flag.

Posted Image

Displayed and managed officially by US marines in over 170 countries, the US flag has become a symbol of liberty and justice for the world. Not to mention it has been on our moon since July of 1969 when Apollo 11 landed.

Jarkko
Member Avatar
Christian. Exterminator of Spammers.

Posted Image
Yes, I'm biased. :P

Posted Image
I've always liked the Aussie Aborigine flag for some reason.

The flags of the Russian Republic of Mari El have piqued my interest too:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Flag_of_Mari_El.svg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Flag_of_Mari_El_%282006%29.svg

These are big images so I've linked them so as not to mess up the page.

Pyrite
Member Avatar
Just as Planned

More bias:

Posted Image

Bias aside, I love these flags:

Posted Image
Botswana

Posted Image
Greece

Posted Image
Honduras

Posted Image
South Africa

Posted Image
Finland

Posted Image
Canada

Posted Image
Denmark

Jarkko
Member Avatar

Finland :D

CJ
Member Avatar

Well, I like all the Scandinavian ones in general :P .

The only thing wrong with our flag is that people hate you if you fly it upside down....but it's nearly symmetrical, and thus very easy to fly it upside down by mistake!

Hedgehog121
Member Avatar
Rank 9
I never realized it wasn't symmetrical. Why is it like that??

CJ
Member Avatar

No idea. To trick people into flying it upside down :P ?

Catface
Member Avatar
Spooky

Posted Image

/thread

CJ
Member Avatar

You know, if there were some way of making a 3D flag, I think that one would benefit massively!

lamna
Member Avatar

I really like the flag of the Qing Dynasty, no the most popular Chinese Dynasty, but the only one with a proper "modern" flag and I like the look.
Posted Image
I also like the old flag of South Africa. It's become associated with apartheid sadly, even though lots of people in the National Party hated that it had the Union Jack in it, and wanted to replace it with a Springbok or somthing.
Posted Image
I love the flag of the German Empire, but it's become associated with German Neo-Nazis, who use it because the flag of the Third Reich is illegal in Germany. The Nazis used it very early on when they needed support from conservatives, but the quickly banned it after they got into power.
Posted Image
Finally a flag that isn't as hated as the others, though a lot of people in the PRC and Green Party don't like it, the flag of the Republic of China. Also known as the Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth.
Posted Image
Posted Image

While looking up the ROC's flag I found that it's popular as a protest flag in Hong Kong, but so is the Union Jack and the Colonial flag of Hong Kong. Also, tomorrow is the day Hong Kong protests the PRC. Happy July 1st!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by lamna, Jun 30 2012, 10:39 PM.

CJ
Member Avatar

Some more good ones there - my favourite of that lot is the RoC flag.

Now, at the other end of the scale, what about everyone's least favourite flags? One of mine is the flag of American Samoa:

Posted Image

It wouldn't be a bad flag at all if it were flipped the other way around (so that the white edge was towards the hoist), but as it is, it just looks awkward. A basic rule of flag design is that any main symbols should be placed in the top left (the canton) or in the centre - not on the right (because they're then invisible when it's not windy).

lamna
Member Avatar

About half of America's state flags. The ones that are blue, with the state seal and writing on. A flag suppose to clearly display who is belongs too.

Here are the flags of Idaho, Vermont, North Dakota and Virgina. At a glance, who's flag is who's?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I also don't like flags with writing on them. The point of a flag is that you don't have to write who it belongs to on it.

Which brings me to the flag I like least.
Posted Image
I really don't like the English flag, for one it's a football flag and it reminds me of the division of these sceptred isles. It's not my flag, it's the flag of louts and those who want to set themselves aside from the rest of the Kingdom. It's not our flag, not the one we earned. It's one we paid the Genoans to use to get protection from their fleet.

Every time I see it I'm reminded that one that we might loose all that bakes Britain great, that we might end up a Northern Serbia.

No, this is my flag.

CJ
Member Avatar

I dislike those ones that just have seals on too. Unlike flags, seals don't flap in the wind, they're only seen from one side, and they are meant to be seen close-up. Besides, manufacturing a "seal on a blue background" flag must be pretty complicated and expensive, especially since seals aren't reversible, thus forcing the use of double- or triple-thickness fabric.

Mind you, this isn't just an American disease:

Cayman Islands:
Posted Image

Pitcairn Islands:
Posted Image

Colonial flag of Hong Kong:
Posted Image

Colonial flag of Uganda:
Posted Image

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera....

Hedgehog121
Member Avatar
Rank 9
CJ
Jul 1 2012, 12:41 PM

Now, at the other end of the scale, what about everyone's least favourite flags? One of mine is the flag of American Samoa:

Posted Image

It wouldn't be a bad flag at all if it were flipped the other way around (so that the white edge was towards the hoist), but as it is, it just looks awkward. A basic rule of flag design is that any main symbols should be placed in the top left (the canton) or in the centre - not on the right (because they're then invisible when it's not windy).
You do realize if it's a two-sided flag it will have the bird on the other side, right?

Anyway, I think the Louisiana state flag is beautiful.

Posted Image

The pelican is the only bird that will give its own flesh to its young for food if it can't find any.

CJ
Member Avatar

rmnldr
Jul 1 2012, 11:46 PM
CJ
Jul 1 2012, 12:41 PM

Posted Image

You do realize if it's a two-sided flag it will have the bird on the other side, right?
Yes, the bird would change to the other side - but so would the flagpole. The whole point was that having the white edge away from the flagpole looks awkward. At least, to me, it does.

When I said that prominent symbols should be placed in the (top) left or in the centre, the assumption was that the flagpole was on the left.

Hedgehog121
Member Avatar
Rank 9
Derp... Derp derp...
e_e

CJ
Member Avatar

Another one for the "Least favourite" category:

Posted Image

I don't think Gaddafi even tried....

Jarkko
Member Avatar

Posted Image - the flag of the city of Sosnogorsk, Russia.

The giant turkey thing is what kills it, really. :P

lamna
Member Avatar

For some reason British Ensigns look better to me. Sorry for the weird England rant, I just really hate the English flags with England written on them.

Louisiana's flag is pretty good by American state standards, not quite up their with the New Mexico and Texas A list flags, but still good. Pelicans don't do that though, they have lots of chicks so in bad years at least one won't starve.

That's not Gaddafi's first flag, he had more generic pan-Arab flags in the 70's, but then he found out that all the other Arabs though he was crazy, and sulked and became King of Africa.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The flag of Penza Oblast is rather weird.
Posted Image
Edited by lamna, Jul 2 2012, 06:40 AM.

CJ
Member Avatar

Not that Gaddafi's first efforts were terribly imaginative either. Just copying Egypt there :P !

Mind you, this is when he was trying to merge Libya with them.

@MILH: :headdesk: . A flag with a turkey on????

Jarkko
Member Avatar

It seems that way anyway. Looks ridiculous, whatever that thing is.

lamna
Member Avatar

I doubt it is an actual turkey, more likely a Capercaillie or black grouse. Still and odd symbol.

I'm not a big fan of quite a few German state flags, which are just the German flag defaced with the coat of arms.
Edited by lamna, Jul 2 2012, 01:45 PM.

CJ
Member Avatar

Those ones aren't that good, and nor is the flag of Hesse:

Posted Image

Apart from proportions and the shade of red, it's identical to the flags of Monaco and Indonesia, despite the state having nothing to do with either country (as far as I'm aware). This is one case where it might have been better to have the coat of arms on it:

Posted Image

Now, on to a German state flag that I do like - the Bavarian "lozenge flag":

Posted Image

I think the lozenges work very well - and besides, how many other flags in the world are like it? The only other one I can think of is this one, which was unofficially used by Monaco, especially in the 17th Century:

Posted Image

lamna
Member Avatar

It's a good flag, though it's a bit messy around the edges, a bit like how the Bosnian flag has 8 stars, but two halves of one are on the opposite sides of the flag.
Posted Image
The flag of Munich has a lozengy varient, which make sense as it's capital of Bavaria.
Posted Image

Look what I made!
Posted Image

Gonna do the Prince's Flag next, when I find somewhere tropical.
Posted Image

CJ
Member Avatar

To me, the flag of Bosnia-Herzegovina seems to say "Let's make ourselves look more modern and 'European' than we actually are by copying bits of the EU's flag" :P .

With that said, it's still a better flag than one of the other proposals that Carlos Westendorp came up with for them. To me, it just looks like a 1970s television ident, like this, or this:

Posted Image

Also, nice Minecraft flag :P .

Finally, since we're now having discussions revolving around "least favourite", I'll change the topic title to reflect this. I'll also stick a load warning on here.

lamna
Member Avatar

Well for the Bosnian flag they had to find something that didn't represent Serbs, Croats or Bosniaks.

Hedgehog121
Member Avatar
Rank 9
Posted Image

CSA

Posted Image

Maryland

Posted Image

New Orleans

CJ
Member Avatar

I must say, I'm a bit torn on Maryland's flag. It looks a little too 'busy' for my tastes, but it does have a memorable design, and in any case, it's infinitely better than the state flags that just have writing and/or a seal on a blue background.

I like the other two flags, though.

lamna
Member Avatar

Not a fan of the modern Confederate flag.

Much prefer this one.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · History, Culture and Philosophy · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies