Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.
What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chester Zoo
Topic Started: Feb 6 2010, 12:57 PM (2,459 Views)
CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

An excellent zoo - has anyone ever been there?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Michelle
No Avatar
cool but no

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

OK, then. There's definitely plenty to see there.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

They're making something called Heart of Africa, which is an African rainforest-themed bio-dome, which will house a large variety of animals. It looks great!

ConfitOfDuck
Member Avatar
Anything but 'Miserables'

I have been to Chester Zoo, but not for several years. The last time I went, there was a Jaguar car inside a Jaguar pen, but I think they've since removed it. Is that true, CJ?

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

The pen's still there, but there was no sign of a Jaguar car. Just real jaguars :P .

ConfitOfDuck
Member Avatar

Like I say, it has been several years since I went. I think the last time I went there was just before I started high school in 2002 ... I don't know if you remember what it looked like back then, but that's how I remember it.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

I seem to remember the jaguar house was pretty much brand new then.

What I'd love to see is them doing an aquarium that's up to their modern standards. It doesn't have to be the Blue Planet, but I'd like to see something better than the old, small building that they have now.

lamna
Member Avatar

I've been a few times and it's a really high quality zoo, up there with Berlin and Cincinnati.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

It is. The place is continuously re-inventing itself as well; it certainly isn't the same zoo that it was the first time I went, and even then it was pretty good!

lamna
Member Avatar

Same here, have they done anything to the elephant enclosure since I was last there? The ground in there was packed dirt, but it looked like they were building something new.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Ah, yes...the building was often a source of amusement for me. Even in the mid-2000s, they had signs up saying "In the early 1990s we intend to...", and the place was basically just an empty building with a few fences to form basic enclosures for the elephants, and to separate them from the public. It's all much nicer inside now, but I don't remember anything new being built in the larger outside bit (although there wasn't really anything wrong with that).

ConfitOfDuck
Member Avatar

Because you live so close to the zoo, how often do you go?

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

I used to go once every few months, although I don't go quite so often now. I usually go once every couple of years or so.

lamna
Member Avatar

I rarely get to go there. Last zoo I went to was Tycross.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

I've never actually heard of that one. Apart from Chester, the zoos I've been to are Bristol (at least twice), Jersey (once, I think) and Banham (once). I might also have been to one in Scandinavia, but I don't think I did.

lamna
Member Avatar

Jersey? You lucky git.

I'm looking into visiting the zoo myself.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

OK, then. I remember it was a pretty good zoo.

There's actually quite a lot on Jersey, considering it's a small island.

lamna
Member Avatar

Yeah I'd like to see the zoo and the channel isles as a whole one day.

Falconhawk
Member Avatar
Dialga's born in the USA!

Ive visited Chester Zoo before. I remember when I went during the foot&mouth outbreak. All ther hoofed animals were ion their shelters. Hopefully Ill be going again this year.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

I don't remember going then. I did read that it was closed during the foot and mouth outbreak of 1967 - and some people claimed that the animals would get lonely without visitors!

Falconhawk
Member Avatar

poor animals. they ned attention, but cant come out for sake of health.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

I'm sure they weren't too lonely, though. They had each other...and it's not as if they'd ever get visitors in the wild!

Falconhawk
Member Avatar

yeah your right. maybe they wanted some peace! And F&M did 'em a favour

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Although, with that said, no visitors = no money = no improvements to the enclosures. Most of the enclosures are pretty good anyway, though.

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Since we've gone off the topic of Chester Zoo, I'll split the Kew Gardens posts into a new topic.

Michelle
No Avatar
Oh, okay then. It could have been changed to "zoological parks"

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Perhaps, but I don't think Kew Gardens really counts as "zoological".

Michelle
No Avatar
It's still a park

CJ
Member Avatar
Certified Mutant

Yes, but that doesn't make it "zoological", so it doesn't belong in a topic about "zoological parks" any more than Alton Towers or Six Flags Magic Mountain would.

Anyway, we're going even further off-topic than before now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Living Things · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Anti-Spam Bots! Mazeguy Smilies