Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

The Orange Blood Bank

Rebuilding The Culture

http://tinyurl.com/OrangeBlood

CONGRATS bicycleman - OUR 1,000,000TH VISITOR TO THE OBB 6/4/2013

Welcome to The Orange Blood Bank. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Night Team
Topic Started: Dec 4 2013, 07:23 PM (3,157 Views)
Potty_Princess
Member Avatar
Orange Hematologist
That was the whole idea behind SPI when it was initiated many years ago. We have had a night freight team since the first days of SPI. Part of that team is supposed to be doing packdown. They did used to do some packdown when there were IMAs making packdown lists and tagging holes, but that went away with the IMAs. No one is making any kind of packdown lists in my store since the MET team took over the BIA duties. I really can't see anything changing in my store other than loosing 2 DHs (packdown and packout). I'll still be bringing down fiberglass tub/showers, toilets, vanities, and kitchen cabinets every morning when I get in at 8:30. And, I'll bring more down before I leave in order to replenish the items I sold throughout the day.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Millennm
No Avatar
Orange Hematologist
Potty_Princess
Dec 17 2013, 07:13 PM
I'll still be bringing down fiberglass tub/showers, toilets, vanities, and kitchen cabinets every morning when I get in at 8:30. And, I'll bring more down before I leave in order to replenish the items I sold throughout the day.
Wow!, someone who does what I do. Amazing!! Do you have others in your Dept. 29 that actually packdown consistently? Just curious because I don't. 8^P.

Potty_Princess
Member Avatar
Orange Hematologist
I'm actually in department 85 (kitchen aisles). I am the only one who routinely brings down the stock. When I went on vacation for 2 weeks, my DH was in an absolute tizzy. He actually had to do some real work. He is a firm believer in delagating to the point that he doesn't want to do any physical work anymore. But, he takes care of me. I've never had a bad review, he gets me all the Homer badges he can, and he does appreciate everything I do. Actually, I kinda like the way things are. I just go in, do my job, and he deals with the SM's BS.

Dave25
No Avatar
Orange Hematologist
marcus
Dec 17 2013, 08:38 AM
Packdown will no longer be the responsibility of the sales and specialty departments under this program. Sales associates will solely concentrate on making sales, not packing down.
Really? The sales associates won't packdown?

Right up to the moment the DH says: packdown that bay, OK.

marcus
No Avatar
Orange Hematologist
In the break room at my store they just put up a poster advertising full time positions for the new MET travelling overnight crew.

Home Depot seems to be banking on the fact that...because full time positions are scarce...they will be able to fill these new MET positions by offering full time, despite the fact that the wage they are offering for the job is an absolute JOKE. One would be better off working full time hours at the minimum wage as a janitor or something, travelling only to one jobsite that is a few minutes away from his or her house, than to work on the MET overnight team at the measily $9.50 per hour wage. Home Depot is a modern day Ebenezer Scrooge.
Edited by marcus, Dec 21 2013, 04:25 PM.

peon
No Avatar
Orange Hematologist
For all you non-ops people who think flow team will make your job easier....yes and no. There will definitely be less packing down. But knowing HD, the expectation is that the sales floor people will be selling more credit, EPPs, installs, leads, and attachments than ever. Plus the floor coverage will probably be cut.
DH's can expect to have huge amounts of packdown-not-founds, as I don't imagine the PT flow team packdown people will spend much time looking for each sku. "If it's not striped, it's not there."

Why do I always imaginge the worst case scenarios?

80sMM Alumnus
No Avatar
Orange Hematologist
Can someone explain the entire flow team work-through from start to finish?

I always said in the past, that the same team that unloads the freight from the trucks and puts the freight away, should also be responsible for packing down the freight.

Thus, the same leadership for that team can be held accounable for performance.

I remember the old (and/or current system). Everyone always passed the buck.......

"it was the freight team that put it in the wrong spot"

"it was the packdown team that didn't look hard enough for it"

"it was the associates who are too lazy to find it"

"it was the BIAs"

"it was MET....... blah....blah....blah"

BUT:

and every single time, without a doubt........ it ended up being the departmen head who was held accountable......... yet, he/she had no real recourse with the root cause people.

I think freight and inventory should be under 1 umbrella. Especially with the majority of freight on CAR.

Hopefully, this new FLOW team concept will achieve that.
Edited by 80sMM Alumnus, Dec 21 2013, 10:40 PM.

akeagle
Member Avatar
Orange Hematologist
If every member of the flow team can get it through their skulls that their goal should be having the products immediately available to the sales staff and ultimately the customers, it might work.

But if their goals will be metrics-driven, i.e. pallet counts, packdowns closed, etc., it just be a continuation of our current chaotic "system", there will be no improvement and the program will fail miserably.

akeagle
If the job was easy, anybody could do it!

Self Check Out
No Avatar
Gold Member
Ha didn't realize they meant to make receiving a mess. One guy cant handle that. And we routinely mess up peoples orders. This is going to back fire.
self check yourself before you wreck yourself

Millennm
No Avatar
Orange Hematologist
Potty_Princess
Dec 18 2013, 07:59 PM
I'm actually in department 85 (kitchen aisles). I am the only one who routinely brings down the stock. When I went on vacation for 2 weeks, my DH was in an absolute tizzy. He actually had to do some real work. He is a firm believer in delagating to the point that he doesn't want to do any physical work anymore. But, he takes care of me. I've never had a bad review, he gets me all the Homer badges he can, and he does appreciate everything I do. Actually, I kinda like the way things are. I just go in, do my job, and he deals with the SM's BS.
Same here. My ASM lets me keep my OT. He knows that I work the whole time I'm there. No sitting around shooting the bull like other kitchen primadonas do.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General · Next Topic »
Add Reply