Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Affiliates: Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket dA: Photobucket Twitter: Photobucket

Current: Board Updates: New to the Forum?
Updated: 01/08 6:04 AM CST

Storming the Gate:
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Bunnie, Shadow, Cherna

CD Sessions: None ongoing
Recent:
How the Egg Stole Christmas
01/08 - We have officially moved to chats. Contact an admin via AIM if you are interested. Also, since we have made policy changes, you do not have to be a registered member to follow updates. To our anonymous members: no worries, the members-only sections are still just that! You are welcome to edit and delete any personal data if you feel insecure, but please leave your posts. If you want those removed, contact Brittany.

Additionally, the forum may still be used for discussion and other RP, one-on-ones, side arcs, and CD, as well as just logging for people to read. I am not closing the forum, simply smoothing out the RP process.

10/14 - Announcement from Rook moved here.

Welcome! We're happy you're interested in our group. We're always looking to add new members to the family, so we're excited about your visit! Take your time to navigate around the first five links below. If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact the GM through the contact information listed in the Manual.

Instruction Manual
Plot Summary
Rules
Character Select
Application

Other Member Links
Story Order
Character Exchange
Character/Player List
Letter from the Founder
Letter from the Cofounder
Add Reply
Application; Character rules, restrictions, and the application
Topic Started: Apr 10 2010, 03:06 AM (965 Views)
Game Moderator
Member Avatar
...victory. yay.
Instruction Manual
The Rules
Character List

Applying for Sonic Story

Please visit the Instruction Manual and Rules to make sure you can comply with the rules, then read below:

If you are applying as a canon Sonic character, please scroll down to the Character Application and read that section. For original characters, stick it out. I have some rules. First of all, I would like you to head over to the Mary Sue Litmus Test. That's here: http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm I prefer a score of 21 or less, but if you made a 25 or less, go ahead and continue reading. I will give you feedback on how to make your character more suitable for this environment (and for the fanverse in general).

If you have made it this far, read every rule before applying with your fan character. All the way through. If you ignore my rules, I ignore your application.

-Recolors. Don't do 'em. Your application will be ignored or rejected immediately, because I warned you not to submit them. If you can't draw, don't submit a picture, or commission someone to do the artwork for you (I'm sure 4th-Chaos-Artists in the Affiliates above would have someone to accomodate you.)

-Your character does not know Sonic or any other canon characters! They are not related. He/she will be introduced just like any other new character.

-No hedgehogs, red foxes, echidnas, cats, hybrids, etc. If they are REALLY original otherwise I might make an exception, but there have only been one exception thus far, and all others offer a VERY small role and show up only once in a tiny cameo. If you are making a cameo with an OC, this application is not for you; just PM or IM me to ask (you must already be a member before you can do something like this in the RP.) No more aliens. >>

-If you really want to impress me, play an ugly cow. Now, while I'm not entirely serious about that, this is a good idea. How many cow fanchars are there? Not many. What about a gorilla, or a elephant? A rat, or a blue jay? Cats, wolves, foxes, and hybrids are overdone. The more original, the more competent I think you are. And that equals brownie points, and I know, everyone loves brownies.

-Speed. Basically, all there is to say about this is, if your character is anywhere near as fast as Sonic or Shadow, or even Tails or Knuckles, he/she better be in a plane. Or rocket. And they had better know how to use it. Meaning you better be convincing as a pilot.

-Character skills. Speaking of being a pilot, if your character can fly a plane, you better be able to convince me they can do it. Which means research on your part. You don't have to be a scientist to play a scientist, but it has really gotta be convincing. Same goes with anything. Don't make your character a lot smarter or more knowledgeable in an area than you are, because we will call you out on it.

-Names should fit the universe. So if you're Mary Anne or Billy Joe, and not a human character, try again. A good idea is to look up hippie names if you're stuck. Most Sonic names describe the character in some way. Or are representative of their personality. Bean the Dynamite's first name is odd and random, and so is his personality. Sonic can run at supersonic speeds. Blaze's body is engulfed in flames underneath her flame-retardant cloak. Tails has two tails. Shadow is dark-furred and mysterious. And Rouge... uh.. lipstick. Right. Of course you don't have to name them after an obvious noun. Tails's real name is Miles, so it can be something similar. But generally speaking, Sonic names are between 3 and 6 letters, and fit the character. Don't do a cultural name you don't understand. If you don't know a lot about Japanese culture, I'm here to break it to you: Rirumakozu is not a real name. It doesn't make sense, and neither does a Japanese verb. We've all got those fan characters in our closet, just don't unlock the door.

-Height and weight should be appropriate for Sonic-verse anatomy. If you have questions about that, just ask. For the record, Sonic is 100 cm(3 foot 4 inches) and 35 kg(77 lb), which is short, but heavy. That accounts for his muscle mass ...and his diet of chilidogs. - Come on, rotten tomatoes already? - But Big is exactly twice as tall, and several times as wide as Sonic, so a more realistic weight for him would be several hundred pounds (official weight is 280kg or 617 lb.)

-Character images should be consistent with the Sonic art style. Maybe you draw your eyes differently (or the person you commissioned did), or you add fluff to the ears or something, but your character should not appear human unless they are. These are not furries. These are a whole different breed of animal chars. Remember, an image is not a requirement.

-Your character needs a fear and weakness. And I'm not talking about "he hates spaghetti" unless it's for comedic value. Please seriously consider your character a living being in regards to personality and other traits, and not an invincible superhuman entity.

-On the same note, your character's attacks do not need to be a copy&paste of Sonic's attacks. Be original. And it's okay to have a weak character. They might be skilled in something else, like spying, manipulation, rock-climbing, or engineering. Maybe even just a good skater. And if you choose some kind of supernatural ability...

-Psychic powers need limitations, and that includes elementals with fire or electric power. If mind reading is your char's power, be realistic. It's probably more powerful when they have a clear head, and suddenly knowing every attack someone like Knuckles is gonna make will NOT help you when Knuckles is throwing punches faster than you can blink.

-Items or weapons should make sense. If you have a special amulet that can produce energy to form whatever your character needs at anytime, either scrap it, or make it only work with a LOT of concentration. Concentration that, if broken, will destroy said object. Again, nothing is perfect. Don't make it that way.

-Don't tell me how hot your character is. Let other characters decide that, not you.

-And last but not least, self-insertion is lame. Really, it is.

Be creative and innovative, but don't take it too far. Be believable. Sonic characters should be simple, clean, original, and entertaining. So without further ado...

Character Application

Only complete the top part if you are applying for a canon GAMEVERSE character. If you are applying for an ARCHIE character that you would like to include in Sonic Story, complete the top section as well as a back story or explanation why they are here. Remember, your characters and the Archie characters are NEW to Sonic Story and DO NOT KNOW CANON CHARACTERS.

If something is not applicable to your character, put NA.

When you're finished, just post it as a new topic or as a reply here.

Section I - you, the player

Name or Alias:

Gender (or preferred gender, we're not picky):

Is romance, yuri or yaoi RP in side RP okay? Specify:

How/when to contact you:

Anything the admins/other members should know?:

Sample post (at least two descriptive paragraphs, the more the better.) Please select from one of the following prompts and give a response. Please keep in mind this is to judge you on grammatical accuracy, reading comprehension, and creativity, as well as working from an established plot. Have fun with this:

- You're trapped alone, with an oncoming army of man-eating Zombies. How do you survive and escape to the next town over? Choose from: Sonia the Hedgehog, Marine the Raccoon, Blaze the Cat

- You're Big the Cat, shrunk to the size of a nickel, and have just been thrown into a blender. You have 60 seconds until the blades start spinning. What do you do?

- If you were Patch D'Coolette, and someone hired you to poison all of the left-handed children in Chicago, how much would you charge? (Explain how you got to that conclusion, how you found out just how many children are left-handed in Chicago, and any plans Patch has to make this task successful. Bonus points for why someone has it out for left-handed kids. Alternatively, you may use Fang the Sniper, hired to snipe them, of course.)

- You are Eggman's toaster, he is eyeing you with characteristic rage, and yet there is something more, something suspicious, something seductive. What do you do? Explain your reactions in detail.

- Shadow has two tickets to that thing you like. Quick, before the tickets are now diamonds, explain who gets the second ticket and how, as well as why they want it. Choose from: Dr. Eggman, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Vanilla the Rabbit

In addition, you may also choose to supply us with a post of your choice from a previous RP for additional consideration:

---

Section II - your character
Answer the following about your character. If you have a character image, include it with your application. If you see an asterisk *, the response is optional.

For a more exhaustive list of abilities and learned skills for your own reference, please see http://www.pathguy.com/cthulhu.htm

General
Name:

Nicknames/Alias:

Birthplace*:

Residence*:

Marital Status:

Species:

Appearance
Fur/Scale/Feather Color:

Skin Color (i.e. muzzle, arms):

Eye Color:

Hair/Quill Style:

Nose:

Ears:

Tail:

Other bodily features:

Piercings/Tattoos/Scars/Birthmarks:

Attire:

Mental Attributes
IQ (or approximate range):

Intelligence (book smarts vs. street smarts, education):

Learned Abilities:

Driving:

Computers:

Critical thinking:

Mental Weaknesses/Ailments:

Sanity (in percentage: i.e. Tails is 95% sane):

Physical Attributes
Height:

Weight:

Voice (how do they sound? Any verbal tics?):

Balance:

Posture (on average, how do they carry themselves?):

Stamina:

Hearing:

Climbing:

Speed:

Strength:

Swimming:

Martial arts:

Other:

Physical Weaknesses:

Physical Ailments:

Allergies:

Any skills specifically lacking:

Basic Attacks/Skills and Limitations:

Special Attacks/Abilities and Limitations:

Emotional Attributes
Myers-Briggs type*:

Alignment (hero/neutral/villain, or in-between):

Personality:

Dislikes:

Aspirations/Dreams:

Fears:

Hobbies & Talents:

Family and Friends:

Rivals:

Enemies:

Character History/Back Story (at least two paragraphs; please consider the canon of the Sonic universe for which you are applying):

Items/Weapons:

Vehicles:

What to expect:
If you make it through the application process, you will be placed on a probationary status. You will be able to view the main RP, but not post on those boards. You will be tested in the side RPs to see if you mix well with our personalities and mode of RP. If we feel you do not meet our standards for quality or don't get along well, just like an employer we'll have to let you go. Remember that this is a privilege, not a right, and we want everyone to get along and have fun!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esther11

What you go by: Monay or Jay

Is this your first time RPing Sonic? On a forum?: I've been doing RPing Sonic stlye on Deviantart.

Is romance, yuri or yaoi RP in side RP okay? Specify: Yes because i did sometyhing like that on Deviantart. I played as to pf my characters and they both are straight. They really do have a good time with it.

How/when to contact you: You can contact me on my yahoo or aol at 6:30pm on school day which is Monday throught Friday, and 9:30 am on Saturdays and Sundays.

Do you have any rules/preferences: Don't steal my charaters is the only rule that i have.

Shadow
Member Avatar
Ultimate Lifeform
Your application is incomplete.... you miss a specific contact adress, a sample post and who you'd like to play.

esther11

What you go by: Monay or Jay

Is this your first time RPing Sonic? On a forum?: I've been doing RPing Sonic stlye on Deviantart.

Is romance, yuri or yaoi RP in side RP okay? Specify: Yes because i did sometyhing like that on Deviantart. I played as to pf my characters and they both are straight. They really do have a good time with it.

How/when to contact you: You can contact me on my yahoo or aol at 6:30pm on school day which is Monday throught Friday, and 9:30 am on Saturdays and Sundays.

Do you have any rules/preferences: Don't steal my charaters is the only rule that i have.

Sample post (at least two descriptive paragraphs from a previous RP or made up on the spot, the more the better): I was in a RP room that was Sonic style. I use two of my characters for the RPing. Their is Dearica the Bat she was a fox. The secong one was Ke-ke the bee. Both of them is princesses, but Ke-ke is a good guy and Dearica is a bad guy and a good guy. They both are different because Ke-ke is a shy girl and dearica is a mysterious girl.

Section II - your character
Answer the following about your character. If you have a character image, include it with your application. If you see an asterisk, the response is optional.

Name: Dearica

Nicknames/Alias: Dee

Birthplace*: Unknow

Residence*: Unknow

Marital Status: Don't talk to people much

IQ (or approximate range): 190

Actual smarts: 190

Height: 3'4

Weight: 70

Species: Bat

Alignment (hero/neutral/villain, or in-between): In between

Aspirations/Dreams: Of the people that she killed

Fears: Unknow

Abilities/Skills: very sneaky like rouge

Special Abilities/Attacks: Chaos Fusion, World Seeing, and Love at sight

Weakness: making he mad

Dislikes: crazy people

Family and Friends: her sister Ke-ke the bee

Rivals: Unknow

Enemies: her sister

Fur/Scale/Feather Color: fur black and purple

Skin Color (i.e. muzzle, arms): purple

Eye Color: purple

Hair/Quill Style: black with pruple strips

Nose: black

Ears: black

Tail: black with purple strips

Other bodily features: none

Any Piercings/Tattoos/Scars/Birthmarks?: none

Attire: none

Items/Weapons: none

Any vehicles?: none

Back Story and Personality: Dearica is a good guy and a bad guy, but the reason why because of what happen in her past with her and her sister Ke-ke the bee. Dearica has a scar that she covers it with her hair, but her scar is on eye. She don't like to talk to people a lot of time, but she like some boys that is good and bad.

Game Moderator
Member Avatar
...victory. yay.
Declined.

To be honest, I don't think your reading comprehension is quite on-par. The instructions are pretty straight-forward. Shadow-mun even pointed specifically out what you were missing, and two of the items were still neglected.

As far as concerns your character, you must never have "like _____(Sonic Character)" simply because you should not HAVE to compare your character to a canon. Your character should be his or her own individual. Additionally, a sneaky bat like Rouge who is both a good guy and a bad guy (neutral) sounds too much like, well, Rouge. The character seems otherwise underdeveloped for role-play.

IQ was the first thing that put me off, though. Unless you are able to use your own intelligence to play up and pretend that your IQ is that high while in-character, I highly suggest you not enter a number that large. You'd have to be pretty convincing, and based on your grammatical errors and reading comprehension alone, I'm not convinced.

Lastly, I'm stuck questioning your age. While I don't typically do this if you can keep up with everyone else on the forum, there is a minimum legal age requirement to playing without your parent's permission.

No offense, but I'm stamping this with a decline with no chance of withdrawal until you're a bit more eligible (I recommend working hard in your core curriculum in school to bring up your critical thinking and observation skills.) :) Thanks for applying and we hope to hear from you in a year or so.

camele the cheetah
Unregistered

Name: sajira

Nicknames/Alias: saji

Birthplace*: azera kingdom (my made up area in which most of my characters live)

Residence*: ?

Marital Status: very skillfull when it comes to fists nd her agility is very accurate expecially when it comes to speed

Species: panther

Appearance
Fur/Scale/Feather Color: black

Skin Color (i.e. muzzle, arms): peach

Eye Color: brown

Hair/Quill Style: long hair

Nose: cat like nose

Ears: cat ears but bigger

Tail: long cat tail

Other bodily features: she either has a brade on her hair or lets it loose

Piercings/Tattoos/Scars/Birthmarks:

Attire:

Mental Attributes
IQ (or approximate range):

Intelligence (book smarts vs. street smarts, education):

Learned Abilities: she learned by her friend zeraku

Driving: ok a bit crazy sometimes

Computers: not very clear with them

Critical thinking: not really great at thinking unless in battle

Mental Weaknesses/Ailments: weakness is loosing friends/family nd her 3 red small orbs on her shirt if taken off

Sanity (in percentage: i.e. Tails is 95% sane): not sure

Physical Attributes
Height: uknown

Weight: uknown

Voice (how do they sound? Any verbal tics?): dont know how to describe really

Balance:

Posture (on average, how do they carry themselves?): average one day she'll be correctly standing or boyish standing sometimes

Stamina: very good cant be worn out easily since shes very hyper

Hearing: its ok she's easily distracted

Climbing: excellent

Speed: excellent

Strength: not so good

Swimming: doesnt like to swim much but she's pretty good

Martial arts: excellent

Other:

Physical Weaknesses:

Physical Ailments:

Allergies: no allergies

Any skills specifically lacking: intellegence in machinery (like computers or anything thats like that cars and all that type of machinery is good)

Basic Attacks/Skills and Limitations: regular claw attack, tackle, punch, kick

Special Attacks/Abilities and Limitations: silver claw and tripple kick

Emotional Attributes
Myers-Briggs type*:

Alignment (hero/neutral/villain, or in-between):

Personality: hyper party type fun girl but likes to fight sometimes

Likes: playing video games, candy, running, talking, annoying others, guys, purple, gothic things

Dislikes: deaths, goodbyes, shadows, loosing, getting her sweets taken away

Aspirations/Dreams:

Fears: loosing her friend razor

Hobbies & Talents: drawing nd fighting

Family and Friends: (to many to list out)

Rivals: sonic, viper, camele

Enemies: eggman, stella, metal sonic, annatha sorceress of darkness, blood

Character History/Back Story (at least two paragraphs; please consider the canon of the Sonic universe for which you are applying):

Items/Weapons: dont have one unless found

Vehicles: dont have one unless found
Quote Post Goto Top

Game Moderator
Member Avatar
...victory. yay.
Application is incomplete. Some parts were misinterpreted such as mental ailments. I need a full description of character abilities and limitations, and yours seems to have little limitation in battle. Additionally, you fall into a cliche character category by playing a cat and/or a character with speed ability. It's a given that Sonic characters are relatively fast, but how fast? The more technical, the better, because we want to be able to compare it to other characters. If you need to know how to answer, refer to Cherna's profile page in Character Select. :)

Please do not neglect the writing assignment; it's how we tell if your English/acting skills are fully balanced.

Also, there were a number of grammatical/spelling errors. Please correct these.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Apply for a Character · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme Silt created by tiptopolive of IDS