Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
You're currently viewing this site as a guest. This means you are limited in what you can see. If you have interest in joining this site so you can get some good songs please join with your main game-character's name. You'll be able to access the information and abc files placed here. Registration is simple, fast, and free.

Join Songbook of Laurelin!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Thanks! ~ Macalaure

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tapatalk is coming, and you probably won't like it
Topic Started: Jul 27 2018, 10:13 PM (58 Views)
Diamond
Member Avatar
Diamond Cottonwood
This is a forewarning that Zetaboards are being "upgraded" by Tapatalk. EMS boards have been converted to the new format and it's sleek and simple... heavy on the simple. One annoying change is the topics no longer have a "Topic Description" field where we've been placing important secondary information like the number of parts and time stamp of each song. The new format shows a forum full of topics with nothing but the poster's name, date of the post, and the topic title. There is a limit of 120 characters in the Topic Title, which should be enough for the whole list of usual info: <Song name> - <Composer, or Artist, or Music style> - <# of parts> - <Timestamp> I highly recommend that all this info be included in the Title so we can easily create a link with all the information without multiple copy/paste jobs.

We have also lost the ability to select and move a group of topics, so each topic must be moved individually. As in: click through topic title, scroll down, select moderation option, click through to select destination (or confirm delete), click ok. Then there is an option to "return to most recent forum" immediately afterward... and I do mean immediate... if you wait too long to figure out which link to click you'll be taken to the forum you just moved the song into.

This forum's unique style will probably be broken when it gets converted. There is supposed to be a way to overwrite the CSS but the result will only be seen by moderators. A complete and permanent change in CSS style is only available behind a Paid Services wall.

Edited by Diamond, Jul 27 2018, 10:15 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Louni

Hmmmm,
First, thanks for the post on the change Diamond! A few question if I may, Are all posts already on site going to remain as is, or is the Topic description going to disappear? Are all files safe? Any idea when this will take place, and is there anything we need to do before the change? Thanks again,
Louni

Diamond
Member Avatar
Diamond Cottonwood
I haven't noticed any loss of posts or files in the conversion. But the topic description gets lost. Old posts, as they are updated for, or linked to for a song list, should have their Topic Titles edited to include # of parts and timestamp. If you start doing this now, then you'll be ahead a little of the MONUMENTAL task up making the info available outside the post itself. A long while ago I began copying both the Topic Title and the Topic Description to the body of the post. At least in those cases the title can be updated without having to download and open the actual song file. Tiri's database will probably be a great help in doing these updates. He should update his spreadsheet as often as possible until the conversion to Tapatalk occurs. Both our Zetaboards are on the s1 server, so it probably won't be long before it happens. :(

Emails about the conversion were sent to all the admins listed for each board. I was receiving them for at least a week or more before I realized because they went straight to my spam folder. Fortunately I regularly check and empty spam to make sure valid emails are not getting lost. I received some emails referring to this board as well as EMS.

If you want to see for yourself what these boards will look like, you can visit Eriador Music Society to check it out. There are NO options for change or customization of color, style, or graphics. You have to pay to do that.

Louni

Thanks again for the great information! I was kinda waiting for something like this to happen. This web hosting site has stayed the same for a very long time, and expected it to either get a upgrade, or was really afraid they were going to shut it down.

Diamond
Member Avatar
Diamond Cottonwood
I've been investigating other options for hosting and found two likely prospects:

EMS.jcink.com Jcink.com has boards that are nearly identical to Zetaboards, including both a Topic Title (but only 50 characters) and a Topic Description. The text formatting tools are pretty much the same as well. Fully customizable

EriadorMusicSociety.proboards.com where I used a free theme tweaked the colors a bit. This one has a great WYSIWYG editor with lots of options. There is no Topic Description, and there are only 60 characters available in the title field. You can get rid of ads for $6 mo. for up to 50,000 page views. $14 yr will get your own domain URL (purchase of domain name is separate)

Tirigifu
Member Avatar
Tirigifu
I will aim to update the database soon--thanks for pointing this out!

Diamond
Member Avatar
Diamond Cottonwood
I've updated the jcink EMS forum with new graphics and colors to make it more like home. :)

Diamond
Member Avatar
Diamond Cottonwood
And there is a BIG snag in using jcink forums: .abc files CANNOT be uploaded :( I have posted a request to have this file type reviewed by their admins, but that could take a while even if they decide to bother with it. So... I'm going to have to figure out how to fix the permissions for my group or we will not have a usable forum for posting :( :( :(

Kariella
Member Avatar

I hate taptalk... it makes malaware bytes go nuts....

Please let me suggest this...
1. Keep all the songs on Dropbox
2. Make a Facebook group for all communications

Now let me explain why this is good...
1. With dropbox here is what I do in TOFU
a. Everynight at 3am i have Microsoft Sync Toy copy all the songs from Dropbox to my Lotro Music folder. This includes deletions so it will always matach
b. Everynight at 4am I have my pc turn on Last Homely Hobbit
RESULT... once a day all my music is updated so I am always current

2. Facebook lets us schedule events and has FB Messenger built in for communication... just make a private group... but really any social media platform will work... but FB will also let us store pictures, documents etc...

Please no taptalk...it really is aweful

Diamond
Member Avatar
Diamond Cottonwood
The good news is that I got a reply from a jcink admin who agreed the .abc files looked harmless enough and it will be added (may already be added) to the allowed files list! :D I will post as soon as I know for sure. I would heartily recommend a mass exit of Zetaboard/Tapatalk as soon as possible so you have enough time to set up the jcink board to feel like home. Any of our admins here should still be able to make sure the Finished Song Section is always fully available to anyone so that it can still live on as an archive.

Oh and I did finally find a way to give my forum proper permissions using the Tapatalk Admin control panel.... but still, I don't like that there is no topic description available and absolutely no graphical customization unless you pay money. Phooey on that. Jcink is fully customizable and works beautifully for our purposes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply