Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
You're currently viewing this site as a guest. This means you are limited in what you can see. If you have interest in joining this site so you can get some good songs please join with your main game-character's name. You'll be able to access the information and abc files placed here. Registration is simple, fast, and free.

Join Songbook of Laurelin!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Thanks! ~ Macalaure

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Discussion in "Using this Site" forum Needs You!
Topic Started: Mar 7 2018, 03:45 AM (59 Views)
Diamond
Member Avatar
Diamond Cottonwood
Hey all!

With the addition of Fiddles we need to assign them a number in our numbering system. Please see my post in the "Using this Site" forum in the "Part Numbering" thread. We need a consensus so that it can be added to the official rules for using the Songbook :)

Thanks! :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tirigifu
Member Avatar
Tirigifu
Agreed! So exciting! Should there be different numbers for the different kinds of fiddles?

Diamond
Member Avatar
Diamond Cottonwood
I wasn't sure that would be necessary, much like we just put all the harps on one number and all the lutes on one number, it may be just fine to put all the fiddles on one number, but they should be *named* in the file (like specifying "Lute of Ages" or however you like to shorten that... such as "LoA" or "Lute" as long as the other is indicated differently as "Basic Lute" or "BLute" etc.). So in my files I spelled it out fully as "Student Fiddle" which could easily be shortened to "St Fiddle". I suppose it might be possible that there could be a case where more than 9 (!) fiddles were needed, in that case I think the number should always begin with 10, so the tenth fiddle would be 1010, the eleventh would be 1011 and so on. If you think of the first number as the instrument number: (0) (Drums), 1 (Lutes), 2 (harps), 3 (Theorbo), 4 (Bagpipe), 5 (Flute), 6 (Horn), 7 (Clarinet), 8 (Cowbells), 9 (Pibgorn), 10 (Fiddles), 11 (???), then the following number is the ordinal (first, second, third, fourth, etc. except for drums which has a leading, but invisible, "0" making the number showing the ordinal). Therefore "1010" stands for "Fiddle - tenth". The devs have left the door open to adding more instruments in the future, so I think we should keep it simple with one number assigned for each instrument type.

Which brings up a conundrum with drums.... now that we've entered instrument numbers in the 3 to 4 digit range, the drum may need to have that leading zero added in future. So that if by some chance there needed to be a tenth drum it would be written as "010" 0 (drum) and 10 (tenth) so as not to be confused with the Fiddle or Lute.
Edited by Diamond, Mar 13 2018, 02:46 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply