Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • INFO
  • NEWS
  • LINKS
  • SL CBOX

In 2007, Evo’s Dawn devastated our world; from that time, children began manifesting powers and abilities that turned civil society into chaos. Things only got worse from there: international tensions escalated and cities were destroyed, causing the blame to fall on the new generation.

The Children of Evo’s Dawn have one place to go: the Campus of Azura and Avalon. It’s there that they can try and piece together lives in the face of a harsh world. As the world turns ever deeper into the Era of Evo’s Dawn, we see events of the world wrapping ever closer to this school. At Shadowside, the new generation may be the only guiding light for the new world.

This cbox is for storyline updates only. To post general comments & news, please use the shoutbox at the bottom of the forum.

Welcome to Shadowside,

First off thank you for visiting our community and as you move though our rules, guidelines, and message board we hope you find the same interesting and friendly community as we have strived to develop.

We are a Play by Post Roleplaying community. Set in modern times at a completion school. With a few twists, we start with the existence of super powers in the population, magic, and abilities that make ordinary children extraordinary, add cutting edge technology, and racial tension between Humans and Evotellurics and we have a turbulent world of adventure to explore.

So please take some time explore our world and check out all that Shadowside has to offer for your roleplay and community needs.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Cybernetic Seeking...; (For Z, and Def, Open like a barn door)
Topic Started: Aug 19 2010, 08:02 PM (1,058 Views)
Diss
Member Avatar
You bizzles forgot, Dizzle does not give a f@#$.
The twin campuses hosted the best of the best in a lot of ways. Here were the fastest, the strongest that the world had to offer. The smartest, the most skilled. The toughest and the most cunning. Each had their strengths, their own weaknesses...But the biggest weakness Yi Xin possessed was the clear fact that she could not self-repair. She had no form of regeneration, no healing, no nanites or other technical devices with which she could make repairs to her body and circuitry. The biggest issue was that in her current form she was unable to manage all of her body, there were parts she could reach, let alone see, where surface damages might not be reported with a simple diagnostic.

Even someone as independent as Yi had to call upon others every now and then, and when it came to matters of the 'flesh' assuredly. In the past, she'd contracted mechanics, but they'd done little more than repair the surface damages. After her few experiences at the twin campuses thus far, Yi knew that her current settings wouldn't be enough. She would need to release a lot of the limitations on her form, as well as upgrading her current capabilities. These too were outside of her control. That left a very simple course of action...To locate someone who could do those things for her.

That required finding a mechanic. What better place on all of campus was there to find a mechanic than in the areas designated as workshops for such. There were entire floors of the tower designated for Research and Development. Somewhere in there she needed to find someone capable of handling the tasks she would need, and then procure their services for future use. An exchange would likely need to be made, but part of her was riding on the idea that any mechanic would die to get their hands on technology of a level she possessed in her very being. If that didn't carry her through, she may have to resort to secondary means...Or worse. It was a grab bag.

“Initiating search.”

It was a slow, steady walk...heavy as her parts were, the boot heels clicked throughout the rooms as she made steady procession. Up from the black combat boots where a slender pair of legs fitted with stockings that chased up until they disappeared under the hem of the white frills at the bottom of her black dress, red embroidery dotting this one in twisting designs that made such shapes as hearts, roses, and daises. Truly, she was the angel of death. Strapped to her waist in clear view was her black leather holster, with her black steel revolver's wooden stock sticking up, and eighteen bullets dotting it on either side. It was something, alright, but what finished off the clashing looks was the somewhat emotionless smile on her face, as if she were and weren't delighted to be here.

Every person she encountered, she asked a simple question and moved on. “Are you a mechanic?”
Edited by Diss, Aug 23 2010, 05:12 AM.
Lamia Gwyn Raven - Dendou Kouro - Yi Xin - Sigmund Eckhart
I also do a lot of the templates floating around. Come see.

Glumzambur

Normally Dom was in his garage tinkering away on his car. However, he screwed up the shipping address on his engine order. That said he decided to fix it up before hand, and then bring it with him when next he went into the garage. While the R&D rooms were nice, it didn't quite have the feel of home for Dom. No where to be honest.

In fact it was that weird feeling that made him dawdle more than he normally would on a car engine. With his ipod playing loudly in it's Ihome ( to be specific the song playing was Milkshake by Goodnight Nurse), and a cherry popsicle in his mouth, Dom did his best to keep tinkering with the engine. However what little focus he had was disturbed a young girl coming up to him and asking him a question.

“Are you a mechanic?”

Turning to face the girl, "Yeah, I'm a mechanic. Why?"

Defiant
Member Avatar
We're all just stories in the end.
“Hey Dom I got those tools you wanted. Where did you…oh. Friend of yours?” It was a simple chance encounter but Cici had run in to Dom today while going in for one of her monthly ‘check-ups’ with the white coats. They liked to keep tabs on her little nanite colony and she didn’t really mind all that much. It was their fault she had them now. Her initial plan had been to go back to her room and rest for the day but that seemed out of the question now. She couldn’t pass up an opportunity to get her hands dirty or for that matter watch someone else do the same and so helping Dom was almost like a necessity. Of course she doubted the job would really require her to do anything extravagant.

She hadn’t expected many visitors though. Maybe Dom really was starting to turn over a new leaf here. Next thing she knew he’d be dating girls on a regular basis. The thought made her laugh a bit and she tried not to be rude about it but she couldn’t help herself. Dom dating females… right. Actually there was something off here. Tilting her head just so Cici looked at Yi with a scrutinizing eye. It took her a moment. Ones and zeros. It’s not an easy language to speak but speak it she did. Once she realized what she was listening to it was as if the components of Yi’s cybernetic body were screaming at her. What a development.

“Aren’t you interesting…” Cici stepped closer, looking Yi mostly in the eye. It wasn’t everyday one got a chance to see something like this. Not like Yi.
.:Aisling | Cicely | Natasha | Mackenzie | Melody:.
.:The Whole Cast:.
Posted Image
“As for her, she is a story with no ending, happy or sad. She can never belong to anything mortal enough to want her.”

Diss
Member Avatar
Initial assessment...
File Unnamed_Mechanic created.
Tag:Mechanic placed.
Notes: Works to music.
Works on Engine:Car.
Eats while doing so. Possible issue.

So may senses kicked off at the simple words 'I'm a mechanic'. It was the answer she had wanted to hear, after all, and it was often a good idea to tell Yi the answers she wanted to hear, if she stopped to ask questions. Physical assessment showed he was more than capable of handling the sorts of duties she'd been looking for, but physical appearance was never factored into that, nor would it be. Instead, her normally empty features showed something of a soft smile. Was she pleased? Why wouldn't she be. She found exactly what she was looking for with minimal effort.

A second person appeared, female. A secondary file was created for her, but Yi's 'mind' never pinned the afterthought that she might be a mechanic as well. The only times she assumed was when it aligned with her programming. The way the newcomer looked at her, though, sent up an amber flag. It could wait, though, as a more pressing concern was...When Cici stepped in front of Yi, the female half took a step back, as bracing...but made no movement towards her weapon as she sensed no hostility...Just...Wariness on her part.

“I am Yi Xin. I am in need of a mechanic for maintenance and residual repairs. I can compensate.” It wasn't as if she expected others to follow God's will as she did, nor did she expect them to recognize God's will as a reason to assist her. She was fanatical, but she was not born yesterday. No, SARIEL was born three years ago. “I need these routines performed on myself. I am not human. Would you be interested in assisting me?”

Regardless, her eyes also did their little trick, cycling from filtering out all light as the iris closed entirely on the 'pupil' not unlike a camera zooming in, and then returned to normal, the female leveling the eyes on Cici. She'd need...names from both of them before the AEGIS Protocol could even begin, so right now the two weren't even on their time limit of Sin. Wasn't that a scary thought? She wasn't about to start removing her false skin to show the metallic parts underneath until she was certain of the lack of hostility presented by the two. Why would she endanger herself recklessly?

“Other than hardware, various software maintenance may be required...Though, hesitance exists on that front.” Someone mucking around on her software that she didn't trust? Yeah, like she'd want that to happen. Likely, it'd be a while before she'd consciously allow that, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen without her knowledge, or without her ever knowing if done right. She was very susceptible to being hacked, after all...

Glumzambur

“Hey Dom I got those tools you wanted. Where did you…oh. Friend of yours?”

"Ugh..."

“I am Yi Xin. I am in need of a mechanic for maintenance and residual repairs. I can compensate.”

"Nice to meet you Yi. I'm Dominic Lombardi, but you can just call me Dom. What exactly we talking about? Cars? Bikes? Moped?"

“I need these routines performed on myself. I am not human. Would you be interested in assisting me?”

Say what? Did she just say she needed routines performed on herself? Well that sentence certainly didn't come off sexual at all. Ahem anyways, did that mean she was a robot? That would explain Cici's reaction to the girl's presence. She had mentioned she was a technopath while working on the engine. However to be honest while Cici was talking, Dom's mind was too busy in fantasy land to this song. Add in a stripper pole, strobe lights, and aesthetically pleasing men in very skimpy attire and you pretty much have what was going on in Dom's head.

"Um, well I'm not used to working with parts inside a woman...", he stammered. Oh hey look at that, I made an innuendo! Get it, he was gay until he met Cici so he never did anything with a woman. Okay I shut up now."but I'd be happy to do what I can."

Defiant
Member Avatar
Despite the warning signals Cici couldn’t satiate her hunger for information by just taking one look. So as she started talking Cici just watched with inquiring eyes. It all became clear when Yi finished talking. She was a cyborg. That’s why Cici was picking up all sorts of mixed signals. Well, not really mixed but it was quite the collection. Taking a step back and crossed her arms a=over her chest while looking Yi up and down. Chances were Dom’s brain was heading south right about now and she glanced at him out the corner of her eye. Yeah, he looked just past flustered. Hopefully he had figured out what she was by now but if not… “She’s a cyborg Dom.”[/color]

Actually that statement wasn’t really so much for Dom as it was for her. These things always amazed her no matter how many times she got close to one. There would always be that moment of childlike wonder when she met them. Of course it was funny to think of Dom working on something so delicate. It wasn’t that she doubted his ability or anything but it was a rational fear. So was Yi’s. To think of someone just tinkering not only with her hardware but with the very commands that made you what you were. Exact same reason Cici didn’t like magic. Unfortunately she’d have to speak up if she was even to consider standing in and she’d been awfully quiet up until now.

“Cicely Memoire, if it’s all the same to you, Yi, I’d like to help if you’ll let me.” Seemed reasonable enough, Dom and she did seem to make a decent team. “No doubt that Dom can handle most of the mechanical maintenance, he’s a jewel like that, but it might take someone with a lighter touch to do the more delicate work. Besides, it couldn’t really be all bad to have a technopath at you beck and call.”
Posted Image
“As for her, she is a story with no ending, happy or sad. She can never belong to anything mortal enough to want her.”

Diss
Member Avatar
Ah...properly named files. Information was being consistently filed away under the files Cicely_Memoire, and Dominic_Lombardi, information not excluding physical details and measurements that her eyes could take down, personality traits she'd been observing, and any possible psychological information they gave away with her body language and verbal context. Truth be told, it'd seem like Dominic was a little slow, though surely that wasn't the case if he did the work that Yi had happened upon him doing. Cicely didn't seem to have a lot of faith in his manual dexterity, from Yi's perspective, so further assistance she was actually quite glad to have.

“I would appreciate the help. Technopath? The knowledge I have on such would coincide with the peculiarities you have shown thus far, Cicely. I sometimes misplace the knowledge that this is a school of evotellurics and other such gifted. If I understand the proposed arrangement...” Yi's voice was something of a...quiet sort of monotone. It wasn't truly monotone, she simply didn't change her inflection much, as if there wasn't much emotion behind it to add. She glanced between Dominic and Cicely, applying the last of the data. “Dominic Lombardi would be handling mechanical repairs and components, while Cicely Memoire would be handling software maintenance and other technical components? That is satisfactory.”

Truth be told, they were burning up time and it was going quite, quite well for the both of them. Neither had asked for much in the way of compensation, either, which while it concerned her, was also a good thing. It meant she wouldn't have to dip too much into the funding that would be buying her raw materials for these two to work with in regards to her, though what they could possibly get through the campus would long since be worth it. If Yi were human, she'd be smiling right now. Instead, she simply nodded and closed her eyes for a moment, opening them again to look at Cici.

“Cicely Memoire, I prefer the term Cybernetic. Cyborg has distinct connotations with the human mind I do not like coinciding with. It insists being a human modified by robotic parts. SARIEL is a machine modified by organic components.” Take that, however you will. The female tapped a single finger on the left side of her chest...almost as if to tell the two that she had a heart. She didn't -need- it, but she had one. And she thought it was hers.

Glumzambur

What...in the name of Willy Wonka did Dom just get himself into. Cyborg? Was Cici for real? Dom had to blink a few times in between shifting his gaze from Yi to Cici. Slowly things started to click. If she was a cyborg, she had robotic parts. Parts that would need maintenance. She was also a girl, meaning she had lady parts. OH DEAR GOD SHE HAS A METAL PORTAL TO THE NTH DIMENSION! Er...what Dom means to think is, he hopes he doesn't have to go near any metallic lady parts. He didn't mind getting dirty, but seeing someone chizz motor oil was an unsettling thought...

"Right then..."

Dom just sucked on his cherry popsicle while he watched Cici and Yi talk it out like a bunch of country queens. Okay not really country queens, but I felt like making a Rupaul reference. SUE ME! Er...anyways, whether she was a cyborg or cybernetic, the fact still remained that Dom would be working in something technically alive. Apprehensive, Dom just hoped he wouldn't screw in the wrong set of nuts or something...

Defiant
Member Avatar
Cicely had forgotten how formal things could get around these ‘cybernetics’ as she so wished to be called. It wasn’t much unlike interacting with one of her music tutors from the past. At least she felt well prepared for the lesson though she couldn’t say the same for Dom who was acting as awkward as he probably felt. There wasn’t anything she could do about how he felt though so she focused on the interaction between herself and Yi for the most part. More importantly she simple nodded and smiled as if to say ‘I understand’ when Yi made her request to not be called a ‘cyborg’. Doesn’t mean that she didn’t want to know more about the concept though. It was a bit of a reverse from what she was accustomed to and that made it all the more interesting.

“Ah… I see.” Well not really, but she understood, and as with any cybernetic she assumed she had to voice her thoughts in case Yi wasn’t equipped to fully translate body language just yet. Surely her creator had covered that though. If not then maybe it would be part of the upgrading. Whatever the case Cici was kind of eager to learn more about Yi. About her function and her pre-programmed personality among other things. She might have looked human but Cici was already picking up on tell-tale signs that would give away her secret. If it even was a secret. Maybe Yi made it very clear what she was when meeting other people. That could be dangerous though, couldn’t it? What if someone got their hands on her that didn’t need to? What did that mean for Cici and Dom? Couldn’t blame her for being a little on edge. Crazier things had happened.

“So when were you looking to start these upgrades Yi?” They’d have to work out a schedule. Cici had school, work, and a whole other life she had to pretend to live on top of that not to mention random adventures. Certainly Yi was a girl… machine… whatever of logical proportions. She wouldn’t just randomly wake up one morning and decide she wanted an upgrade then. They had to planned for. Calculated. The thought made Cici’s head spin a bit and she settled herself on one of the countertops, crossing her legs at the heels. Pulling out her nifty little NICAM she began checking her scheduler and pursed her lips a bit.

“That goes for you too Dom dear,” she chortled in a goodhearted manner. “We’ll need a schedule.”
Posted Image

Diss
Member Avatar
It wasn't so much a formality as the difference between calling someone Norwegian and Swedish. They both came from the same region, but were two completely different identities, much in the same way that humans came in different varieties and races. Could machines not do the same? It would be a form of racism to consider they couldn't, in a way...Equal rights for every machine! The toaster deserves the same rights as the microwave! Why do you use one more than the other?!

It was a good thing none of this actually took place within the confines of her 'mind'. Instead, she was focused on a combination of their reactions. Dominic seemed lost enough, while Cicely seemed to be taking charge on the human side of things. Perhaps she was the dominant one of the two, but that wasn't her place to logic out who was the superior of a relationship, romantic or otherwise. It was a secret, much akin to her own connections. What she was...if someone asked, she responded, but otherwise that wasn't information she gave freely. Well, if someone missing a specific tag asked...since her programming assumed everyone not with that tag was 'innocent', and therefore could be trusted with Basic level information. Everyone received her name, however, as that facilitated the exchange of names much easier.

Speaking of tags...Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

“Scheduling...Accessing schedule.” The words were clear, and she nodded softly at the indication from Cicely. No, she didn't expect them to drop everything and work on her. This was a school, they had responsibilities as students as well as personal responsibilities the same as she had, so in that vein, she didn't ask any more than she thought she should. “I do not require study. My schedule is free any time that is compatible with Dominic and Cicely's schedules. It will take time to learn the specifics of the SARIEL system, as soon as humanly possible would be best to begin.” It was like an engine...you had to know what you were working on before you worked on it, otherwise you were just swinging a wrench.

Tagging complete.

A.E.G.I.S protocol active.

Dominic_Lombardi, Cicely_Memoire granted tag:friend

It was a very elite group. They were the only ones left alive currently in it.

Glumzambur

"Schedule?"

Did they really need a schedule? Schedules were so....conflicting and constricting and scheduley. Yeah that last one isn't a word but doesn't it just SOUND negative? It's not that they were bad. Oh no. It was just that Dom was a much more care free spirit. He did what he did, whenever he wanted. Any obligations of course he made sure to take care of but other than that he really lacked a schedule. Hurray for military brats!

Suffice to say, Dom's schedule was fairly open. You give him a time and a place, and he'd be there. He'd be there with the tools, the popsicles and all the sexual innuendos one could ever need.

"Well weekends are always good, along with friday afternoons and early mornings every other day."

Defiant
Member Avatar
Take away the chains humanity had placed on them. Take away all of the pretenses. Dig a little deeper and what were they? Just bits of information floating around in some predetermined form. Constantly bumping in to each other and making connections that spanned a world sized network. This situation was no different. Two Evos and one Cybernetic. And here they were coming together to form some sort of bond; even if it was a working relationship at best. Scrunching her brows together Cici thought that maybe it could be a little more than that. Certainly wouldn’t hurt to have a friend like Yi around. That is if Yi could even make friends.

“Early weekend mornings are usually good for me and any late night is fine. I don’t really sleep so I have time to burn.” It was like the graveyard shift that no one ever wanted but it was Cici’s life. Otherwise she had things to do but they weren’t so important that she couldn’t drop them if Yi really needed her. Compensation for her time and services hadn’t really been given much forethought. Sure Yi had mentioned it but Cici was still thinking that the opportunity to get so close to something so spectacular was enough.

However, Cici was still mostly human and not beyond indulging in a little greed every now and then. Money didn’t exactly enthuse her though. It was just as easy to dip in to a trust fund or hack the local ATM. Information and experience seemed more appropriate rewards. Like lost treasure that was reserved for the fortunate few who were brave enough to search for it and smart enough to find. Exciting as this was she was also quite nervous. This was a big job and certainly a lot more complicated than anything she’d tried to take on before. Welcome to the world Cici, you’re growing up.

“Well that was easier than I thought,” looking up from her NICAM she shoved the thing back in to her pocket. “Yi I was just thinking and you don’t have to worry about any sort of payment so far as I’m concerned. Dom might still want his but I think I’m going to get something much more valuable out of this.”
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Floor 6: Student/Faculty Research Labs · Next Topic »

Theme by Cody of Outline