Welcome to Shadows Of Eternity. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Shadows of Eternity is a moderate to advanced horror & mystery roleplay forum that is home to many friendly members and staff that are always looking to RP. There are few limitations on character creation because we like for our members to be as creative with them and their roleplays as possible. We welcome all races and skill levels. Join the fun and dream our nightmares!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
  • Pages:
Studious Hours; Open to all
Topic Started: Oct 2 2010, 06:28 AM (1,395 Views)
Solain ibn Din
Member Avatar

"Great is the Deity Allmighty, He who created this world and put the stars in their places, He who is both father and mother to all things. His blessings be upon the faithful, and on all the creatures of this world."

It was a good start, Solain thought, dipping his feather quill in ink. He continued writing.

"Dear mother, I send you this letter from the southern lands of this strange and wonderful world. It will no doubt ease your mind to hear that I am healthy and well, and that the same goes for Amir. I assume he sends his regards, though as of late he has mostly taken up repeating the curses and swearwords of the locals, leaving little else of note to come from his beak - I am doing my best to teach him that it is rude to call people the rear end of a donkey, or to refer ot their bodily odours - as I've learnt that these locals view such comments as highly rude.

I am however growing somewhat impatient. I must admit that my view of the larger world may perhaps have been coloured more vivid by the imagination of a young mind, but my opinion remains the same; I am somewhat disappointed. For four years I have wandered, taking notes of cultures, languages, customs, geography, flora and fauna and whatever else I've been able to jot down. However, this world is a dangerous place, where my appearance has caused much grievance to me. In one village, they attempted to burn me at the stake. It took seven tries without succeeding in lighting the flame (I ordered it to put itself out) before the simply threw me out of town - quite violently - and swore that I would be executed if I put my foot there again. Again; I am somewhat disappointed. Take note though; I am no worse for wear.

Please bring my greetings and blessings to Father and my sisters. Tell him that I look forward to see him well and healthy when I return. I am sure the physicians are doing their best to cure his current illness. If Deity Wills It.

PS. I finally made Amir say something positive. He called me a jackass. It is a positive remark based on my tenaciousness and physical strength, is it not?

Your most loving son,
Solain ibn Din"

Satisfied with the letter, Solain sprinkles sand on the sheet of paper it was written and, and waited 'till the sand has removed any excess ink. When it was dry, he wafted it to remove the sand, and rolled it, tying it with a purple ribbon. He muttered a few words with his eyes closed, waved his hands carefully. Suddenly, the letter vanished - made to travel along the magical currents of the world - and to travel home, where the Magisters of the Academy would find it and hand it over to his mother.

As it was done, he sighed and idly sifted through a book that lay in front of him. The book was on bartering and trade. It was a field he found utterly distasteful, but he had a feeling the locals where overcharging him, and he wanted to understand the art of haggling.
Edited by Solain ibn Din, Oct 3 2010, 04:03 AM.
Offline Profile Top

Star
No Avatar
Ghoul

The book lay under her hand and her head next to it on the couch scarlet locks falling around her face and over her arm, she had fallen asleep reading, with a shiver and sudden intake of breath Star opened her eyes, at first she didn't remember where she was and lifted her head slightly to look around, confused. Then she remembered and looked at the book her hand was laying on, she would have picked it up and started reading from what she last remembered but for the scratching of a good quill pen on paper somewhere nearby. The sound made her raise her eyes above the back of the couch and look around for the source of the sound, the blue skinned man wasn't hard to spot in the almost empty room, empty of people at any rate, there was no shortage of books or places to sit. Finally she sat up and watched silently while he finished writing and, by magic she guessed, sent off the letter, she wasn't even surprised when he did, she had gotten use to strange things here what did surprise her was the man himself, she could guess what he was from his appearance and the book she had been reading was about Djinn.
"What is the hour?"
She asked softly as she blinked at the man.
Offline Profile Top

Solain ibn Din
Member Avatar

Hardly a moment had passed from he opened the book until Solain was disrupted. "What is the hour?" asked a light, sleepy voice. Solain turned his head quickly, his yellow eyes glowing more than usual, as was common for his kind when they were startled or emotionally imbalanced. The source of the voice was a woman - no, a girl - sitting in a couch situated with its back away from him. She seemed to lounge in it, and it would appear from her voice and her blinking eyes that she recently had awoken. How much had she seen? Would she alert some kind of authority? Solain had assumed the people of the palace to be enlightened enough to not become dangerous at the sight of magic, but he now recognized the error of this assumption.

He gathered himself mentally. No, he thought, you are becoming worse than these natives with your suspiciousness. She was only a girl at that, not some armoured city guard or a fanatic preacherman trying to tie him to a pole. Though she was slightly different from most humans he had seen. Her skin was pale and her hair a strong red, but more peculiarly, her eyes were red-golden. That was not something he could remember having read about human physiology.

"Eh," he looked around for a moment, "I believe it is three bells after sunrise. Nine a.m., I believe the correct terminology is.

Up on a perch, Amir fluttered its wings and cocked its head.
"Squawk! Face like a pig! Squawk! Face like a pig!"

"Amir! Shoo! That is most improper!" His eyes glowed vividly with embarrassment. "She does certainly not have the facial qualities of a porcine!" He turned to the girl.
"Please forgive him, Amir has not been himself since I traveled with the caravan here. He's taken on some of their more unsavory traits, I'm afraid. Please accept my apologies on behalf of him." Solain stood up and bowed deeply.
Offline Profile Top

Star
No Avatar
Ghoul

Biting her lip Star watched the man, she hadn't meant to startle him, and tilted her head slightly to one side as they watched each other, she knew he couldn't see much of her as she still sat on the couch, but she was sure she must look as strange to him as he looked to her.

Star waited patiently for him to reply, she thought she really must have scared him and was about to say something when he finally replied the time. Nine? a.m.?! She had been asleep longer than she had thought and blinked in surprise.
"I really must have been tired then."
She said as if to herself.

Star blinked at the bird startled to find it talked, her cheeks reddened slightly but she couldn't help laughing, a soft musical laugh.
"What an interesting creature."
She said, still laughing lightly and she simply nodded at his apology for the bird and a sly grin curved her lips as she looked at the bird.
"Your apologies are accepted but not required, some creatures can not help what they say as some do not have the intellect to understand the words."
She said and bowed her head slightly to the bird, from one bird brain to another, she thought with a smirk before returning her gaze to the birds master then, belatedly remembering her manners, she rose from the couch and stepped around it so he could see her, instead of her usual jeans and tank top or t-shirt she wore a dress that looked like it was made of fire (one of the few things she had brought with her from Egypt), and she bowed in the Arab style.
"Forgive my late manners, I am called Star. What, might I ask, are you called?"
Offline Profile Top

Solain ibn Din
Member Avatar

The girl laughed at Amir's sqwaking, and graciously accepted his apologies, though she did remark the futility of attempting to make the bird understand the error of his ways.
After a second of silence, she stood up and walked towards him from behind the couch, wearing a fire-red dress that seemed to flow as if though it was actually on fire. The girl herself was slender and lithe, but Solain couldn't help feeling something underlying it all. Power, strength. Not dominating, or threatening, just... just there. Its very presence was enough to make Solain view her in a new light.

She made a bow - curious for a female, though he wasn't sure of the traditions here - and spoke up; "Forgive my late manners, I am called Star. What, might I ask, are you called?"

Solain smiled brightly, and gave a deep, stiff bow, both his hands locked in front of his chest.

"I am Solain ibn Din - Though most people her call me Eben, a Djinn journeyman mage, and humble student of the world in all its glory. I am honoured to meet you Star, may the Deity bless you and your family. I am at your service," he said in a ritual, melodious way. Djinn had always considered themselves at the service of their aquantainces. Though it was a intoned ritual greeting, its intent was sincere.

"What brings you to this place, Star? Is there something else I can help you with?"
Offline Profile Top

Star
No Avatar
Ghoul

It was intersting seeing him bow, it was stiff and didn't seem welcoming unlike what she had been taught and she realized how different their people must be. Star only listened while he introduced himself, but she felt her cheeks flush faintly at his formality, bowing her head slightly when he finished, a sign she accepted his words and smiling warmly. After all she had intruded upon him not the other way around, and she couldn't help but make up for her rudness.
"I am pleased to meet you, Sola-" she paused and cocked her head, rather like a curious bird, and asked "Do you prefer Solain, or Eben?"
She knew what it was to be called something that you didn't like, to have a name that people used because they didn't like or didn't know your given name. It was alright, perhaps, if one couldn't say the name, but spite was something she despised with a burning passion, infact she felt a flare of her own energy that suddenly brought her completely awake to calm it, and not caring if one called someone by a name they disliked was something else.

"I was reading," she said leaning slightly over the back of the couch and picking up the open book, though she closed it as she did so, and showing him the painted cover, it was of a Djinn. "Funny how things turn out, I was reading of Djinn when I fell asleep. There are some fascinating stories of your kind."
She said her voice flowing over the words now as easily as it did over the Arabic words she had spoken as a child though her accent remained and was still strong, if she ever got angry she would probably stumble over the words like she had in the beginning.

"I do not think there is anything, if you are busy I can leave."
Offline Profile Top

Solain ibn Din
Member Avatar

She smiled at his solemn bow, and responded; "I am pleased to meet you, Sola-" she paused and cocked her head, in a way Solain couldn't help but feel reminded him of an avian, that quick, curious movement. "Do you prefer Solain, or Eben?"
Solain was a bit surprised by the question, and put his index finder to his chin, looking intently at her, his eyes glowing in a warm yellow.
"I am at a loss at what to say, Star, my mother named be Solain when I was conceived from the union of hers and my father's magic essense, and it is the name I've been known by in my homelands, but still, it is just a name, not the self I carry with me all times. Then there is Eben, this nickname given to me by the natives of the wider world at the beginning of my journey. It is a strange thing, to be given a name. It symbolizes a beginning, does it not? In a way, The name Eben was given to me when I started on this journey, and I feel it should stay with me as long as it lasts. Please, if you will humour me, feel free to call me Eben." Solain, who in a way thought of himself as Eben now, pressed his lips together tightly. He felt as if he had been blathering away, not entertaining her in any way.

"Funny how things turn out, I was reading of Djinn when I fell asleep. There are some fascinating stories of your kind," she said, picking up a book from the couch and showing its wonderfully engraved front. It showed a stylistic drawing of a Djinn.
"Oh, Al-Ilah," he exclaimed, "That is... unexpected. I had near thought my people had been entirely forgotten. And here you are, reading about my people. I suppose it would be interesting fore one who has never seen the Academy spires, or the Sapphire lakes, or felt a mastery-spell being woven before the very front of your eyes. Or-" he looked up at Amir,
"heard the chorus of the the Azure Parrots. Though I'm afraid Amir is not the best singers of them. That is not why he was chosen, after all." He handed the bird a little seed, from a pocket in his belt.

"I do not think there is anything, if you are busy I can leave," she said, responding to his comment.
"Busy?" He said, quizzically, then realized she had seen him read. "Oh, please, Star my friend. I have travelled far as such things are measured, and been left with poor company. You are the most important kind of busy I've had in a long time!"
He laughed. It was a clear, strong baritone, and as he opened his eyes, they glowed up in a near white. Eben didn't know if it was required, but he bowed again for good measure.
Offline Profile Top

Star
No Avatar
Ghoul

It was interesting hearing him speak of a name and as most of the people she had met in this world didn't make two bits worth of sense what he was saying made perfect sense to her and when he said "In a way, The name Eben was given to me when I started on this journey, and I feel it should stay with me as long as it lasts. Please, if you will humour me, feel free to call me Eben." she smiled and gave a small nod.
"I see, it shall be Eben then." she said, then continued in a thoughtful tone. "I do wonder sometimes; why should anything be called anything, does anything really need a name." She was really thinking aloud but she hoped this stranger, this Djinn Eben, would have an answer for her that wasn't 'do not say such things, you are but a hatch-ling and know not of what you speak', her Grandfather had said that, or 'that is a good question Star, did you ask Grandfather? Did you try reading about it?', her brother, or even 'I do not know Star, maybe when you leave you will find a great Phoenix, or maybe someone with magic, you know real magic, that is a billion years old and remembers when they started naming things and....' several paragraphs of starry eyed child-speech omitted 'that can tell you', her youngest sister had said that after hearing Star ask their brother and after his disappointing reply.

Eben's exclamation made Star glance at the cover of the book then back at him, how could a people be forgotten?, she asked herself, were Eben's people perhaps as rare as her own, or even Pans, on the verge of extinction?
"I suppose this book shows that they are not forgotten, there are many others and I even found some of my own kind." She said softly and her eyes sparkled as she looked at the bird again and she made the comment. "I suppose he would not be a great singer, after the comments I have heard it seems he would be more suited to a seagulls rude tones."
She couldn't help getting a second revenge on the bird, though so far she found him more than a little hilarious, and as long as he kept his beak shut she thought him rather beautiful.

His comment made her smile, it made her feel good and his deep rich laughter made her smile widen and brought forth her own musical laugh, and even, she thought, I like the sound of being called 'friend', it was something new to her in this strange, and sometimes hostile, land. When he bowed again she let out a small, light, silvery laugh and said:
"Please then let us not be so formal, would you come sit with me, Eben, and talk?"
She motioned to the couch she had been sleeping on, what now seemed ages ago, then she looked at Amir and smiled graciously.
"You can join us, Featherhead, if you promise to be nice."
She said with a short laugh and a wink.
Edited by Star, Oct 9 2010, 03:29 PM.
Offline Profile Top

Solain ibn Din
Member Avatar

Eben laughed again at Star's joke, stifling a loud 'hah' with his hand. His eyes glowed a bright, warm orange.

"Ah, it is as you say, we call things by names, though we do not know them. In fact, my people have a story about that. It is an old story, most likely not true in the full sense, but twisted by retellings beyond retellings and the failing memory of a people as old as creation. We djinn do not forget, friend Star, but neither do we have perfect memory. I fear that the story is more figuratively than literal, but if you have the time, will you hear it perchance? I will tell it in the way my people do such things, though i'm afraid my abilities in illusory magic are rather lacking.

As if to make a demonstration, Eben began moving his hands in complicated patterns. It was not a part of the spell he formed within his mind, but it was an effective aid in mentally picturing the flows of magic currents he needed to form for the spell.

Slowly, the mundane surroundings of the library disappeared, and they sat on a couch in the middle of a black emptiness. It seemed infinite, eternal, it was neither hot nor cold, nor was there any sense of movement or stillness. Suddenly, Eben's voice spoke up, a great, booming voice forming in the emptiness, and filling it with ambience.

"This is how we tell our stories. We form the vision and the sound to envelop us."

Somewhere in the distance, Amir croaked; "Crawk, pretentious bastard! Crawk!"

Eben's eyes began glowing in a pinkish hue, fitting with the coloration of his reddened cheeks.
Edited by Solain ibn Din, Oct 11 2010, 12:04 PM.
Offline Profile Top

Star
No Avatar
Ghoul

Star grinned at his laughter, she loved making people laugh and getting back at Featherhead was turning into good fun.

"I would love to see how your people tell stories!"
Star said excitedly, she had only ever seen stories told two ways, by the Arabs that lived near and in her birthplace and by her own people, with the Great Fires, illusion was something completely new to her.

Star watched his hands as they moved in the complex patterns she couldn't understand and looked around the room as it disappeared into darkness, she could still sense the things around her, but only just and the only things she could see was the couch on which they sat and Eben himself. Stars' hands were resting lightly in her lap when a small ball of fire flickered and sparked into existence in the palm of her right hand, it was a reflex response to darkness, a habit she was unable, or perhaps unwilling, to break. At any rate the warmth in her palm and light from same made her blink and stare at the fire ball as if she had never seen fire before, then fearing it might ruin his illusion she closed her hand around the ball extinguishing the light as his voice boomed out around them.

"This is a wonderful way to tell a story."
She said smiling at him then laughing as she heard Amirs distant squawking.
"Hush Featherhead!"
She laughed in good humor.

"Please, begin."
She said noting the coloration of Eben's eyes and cheeks and thinking, what a bird to have to live with.
Offline Profile Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplay Archives · Next Topic »
Locked Topic
  • Pages:

Theme by Sith of tzb / Outline
RolePlayGateway