Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Add Reply
Viremia; They yearn for what they fear for
Topic Started: Sep 1 2017, 06:18 AM (569 Views)
Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
((Sophie McDowell continued from It's Not a New Wave, It's Just You and Me))

Sophie wiped her eyes as she continued to walk. It had been a few hours since Jeanette died. Sophie had picked a random direction to walk and had made her way there. She had no idea where she was going, but she didn't really care. All she wanted was to find a quiet place to sit and think about what to do with her life now that she had killed someone.

She had a lot to think about, and the quiet time she spent walking had given her a lot of freedom to let her mind run wild. She saw herself being killed by someone even more violent and dangerous than Bunny. She saw herself killing more people. She saw herself being declared the winner and being sent home. She saw her family rejecting her and she saw them accepting her. She saw Jeanette's family taking her to court or spiriting her away. None of these scenarios brought her any comfort, so she tried to push them out.

Eventually, Sophie realized she was near a rock quarry. She tried to walk carefully, something that was difficult with sandals. Rocks kept getting caught under her feet, and she kept stopping to shake them loose. After a bit of walking, she then noticed a girl sitting on a rock. Without even thinking about it, she called out to the girl.

"Hello?" Sophie asked.
Mini Art

Former characters
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sophie recognized the girl as skate Kris Hartmann. She seemed like a pretty cool person back home, although they didn't have much in common. If Kris was just sitting patiently, then maybe she wasn't like Bunny. Maybe she was taking things a lot more casually.

Sophie adjusted the bags on her shoulder and wiped her eyes.

"Sorry. It's been a rough day. I hope things are going better for you."
Mini Art

Former characters

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sophie walked over and sat down next to Kris. The girl seemed friendly, but Sophie knew she needed to be honest with this girl. She couldn't just deny why she had two bags when everyone was given one. Besides, this girl needed to know what was happening on the island.

"So, the game is real," Sophie told Kris as she sat down.

She brushed some hair behind her ears.

"At least one person has died, and at least one person is playing. You deserve to know that."

Sophie hung her head a bit.

"I don't know if you know Jeanette Buendia, but she died earlier. And Bunny Barlowe is playing."
Mini Art

Former characters

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sophie hung her head low. She gazed down at her hands as they lay limp in her lap. She curled her fingers a bit, remembering the sensation of them wrapped around Jeanette's neck. She could see a bit of dirt under her nails, probably from working to cover Jeanette's body. She squinted her eyes a bit as she stared at the specks under her nails.

"I wasn't her friend until today," she told Kris.

She clenched her fists.

"She didn't see me as one until today either. That's probably why..."

Sophie gritted her teeth a bit as she breathed in. As she breathed out, she spoke.

"...why she asked me to put her out of her misery."
Mini Art

Former characters

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"I guess..." Sophie said.

Sophie sighed. She bent her back forward a bit and rested her elbows on her lap.

"It doesn't feel like the right thing, though. None of us should really be in a place where we have to do something like that."

Sophie rubbed her eyes with one of her hands.

"But anyways, look out for Bunny Barlowe if you see her. She's dangerous."

She uncovered her eyes and turned her head towards the other girl.

"So... how are you doing?"
Mini Art

Former characters

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The rest of the day had been peaceful. Sophie and Kris were able to speak without any interruption, going over whatever came to mind. After a while, the sun set, and the girls went to sleep.

Sophie didn't sleep well. It wasn't even just sleeping in a rock quarry and trying to use her vest as a pillow that. Every time she thought she was drifting off to sleep, the sound of Bunny's gunfire filled the air. Every time she felt her body start to relax, she could feel Jeanette's warm throat around her hands. She tossed and turned more than she ever did before.

She was finally forced awake by the sound of the announcement. She sat up and rubbed her head as that Danya monster began to speak. It looked like Jeanette wasn't the only person to die yesterday, as plenty of her other classmates died, while others made the move to kill.

Jeanette was the third to die, and Danya actually congratulated Sophie for killing her. He said he was proud she was "following the spirit of the game so diligently." Sophie clenched her jaw, closed her eyes a bit, and shook her head.

"Don't you dare..." she muttered to herself. "Don't..."

The man continued to announce the dead, including Yasmin, Lyndi, Panya, Vincent, and Aaron. Tania and Simon were still alive, but so was Bunny. Bunny didn't kill either of them, and it looked like she wasn't able to kill anyone. Maybe they were able to get away from her and were in a much better place.

Once the announcements were done, Sophie groaned and reached to put her vest back on. She then stood up and brushed her hair back a bit. She probably needed to find a way to tie it back now that she gave up her bandanna to Jeanette. Maybe Kris had something.

"Kris," she said, standing in place and looking around. "Are you still here?"
Mini Art

Former characters

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sophie waited in silence for a few moments, hoping the other girl would reply. There was nothing. Sophie waited a few more minutes, then started to walk around the area of the quarry they had made camp in. Nothing still. After some time, it was clear to her where Kris was: anywhere but here.

There wasn't any blood or signs of conflict in the area. Kris probably got up and left at some point in the evening or during the announcement. Sophie lowered her head a bit and sighed. She was alone again. She thought she had found someone good to be around through this game, but that wasn't the case. Maybe Kris knew someone who was named on the announcement. Maybe there was someone she wanted to go find. Maybe there was someone she wanted to bury, either because they were killed or because they killed someone precious to her.

Or, maybe, she just didn't want to be around Sophie.

Sophie looked at her hands. They had gotten even more dirty and slightly scratched from sleeping in a rock quarry for the whole night. The whole island knew Sophie killed Jeanette. The man on the announcements had chosen some vague words. People would know she was a killer, just like Katarina Konipaski and Bridgette Sommerfeld and everyone else listed as a murderer. The fact that she got an early kill would probably mean they'd think she had snapped earlier than everyone else. For all Sophie knew, the whole island probably viewed her as a monster.

Sophie walked back over to her supplies, slinging the bag over her shoulder. She picked up her fishing pole and rested it against her other shoulder.

I'm not a monster. I did what Jeanette asked me. That's what I'll tell them.

Sophie closed her eyes and sighed. People were going to assume the worst about her, and the best she could do would be to dissuade them. She could go somewhere else; she could go somewhere no one else would find her. If they did, they'd see a girl with no real weapon and realize she wasn't a monster.

If they wanted to kill her despite all of that... then...

Sophie shook her head and started walking away from the quarry. She could think of that later.

((Sophie McDowell continued in he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts))
Mini Art

Former characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · The Quarry (DANGER ZONE) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.