Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Add Reply
  • Pages:
New TV Lore Suggestion Thread
Topic Started: Jan 28 2017, 08:19 PM (2,262 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
I can trick them into thinking anything
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, everyone! After some thought and discussion, staff has decided to relaunch the TV Lore Suggestions thread with a little more guidance and structure. As of now, staff will not be working with pending suggestions any further; if you have an old suggestion (perhaps from the old thread) that has not been added to the wiki yet and still wish to see it incorporated into continuity, please refit it as necessary to fit the current guidelines and then resubmit it.

Please make sure all lore conforms to the following template:
Code:

Dates:
Winner:
Runner Up:
Third Place:

Notable Participants:

Summary:
Legacy:

Suggested by:

Please fill this out as follows:
Quote:

Dates: A timeline of seasons may be found here. Seasons are spaced relatively evenly throughout the year, so Season 20, say, would likely take place in the winter.
Winner: Name (# Kills) <We don't want anything more than this here. This is a purely informational section. Descriptions belong further down.
Runner Up: Name (# Kills)
Third Place:Name (# Kills)

Location: This can be between a sentence and a medium paragraph. To be a suitable location for SOTF, an arena must be isolated (probably at least three or four miles from notable civilization), decently containable (via naturally occurring boundaries such as the edges of an island, artificial boundaries such as a fence or the walls of a compound, or clearly intuitive boundaries such as the border of Season 66's Resort), largely survivable (nobody wants to watch half the cast die of exposure, so while environmental hazards may be present and even common they should not dominate the game), and generally okay to destroy (ghost towns of low historic significance, condemned buildings, wilderness areas). This is an important thing to get right, as failure to do so will highly increase the likelihood of your season getting rejected.

Notable Participants: This is a list of the notable characters. It should be in list format, as so:
  • Name (Placement) - Description
  • Name (Placement) - Description

Please give every character a sentence or two of description--if they're notable enough to be listed, we want to know why. Please try to keep this section to no more than either six characters or 25% of your game's cast (rounded up), whichever is larger. This is a spot only for characters notable in some fashion to your season's development. A guy who hangs out with his friends for a day and a half and is then gunned down from afar probably doesn't count, unless his death in some fashion stood out or shaped the stories of more important characters.

Summary: This is a narrative description of the general course and trajectory of your season. It should almost always be the longest section, charting the way the season developed, the storylines of the major characters, and the way Endgame played out. It should include the number of students participating, the major trends, kills, and deaths, escape attempts, and any particularly memorable scenes.
Legacy: This section should give a rough idea of how your season is regarded. Please do not say it's one of the best or worst seasons ever—you can clump most seasons as Very Poor, Poor, Average, Good, Very Good. Please note any lasting impact/resonance your season may have had, as well as what the winner (and any other escapees, if applicable) did following their victory and what their current status is.

Suggested by: Just your UN

Finally, a few numerical and stylistic guidelines:
  • Your season should, overall, be less than 3000 words. Any more than that can become very unwieldy or overly detailed. Staff might make exceptions on extremely rare occasions, but request that you first have gotten a more conventional season approved first and have a really good reason why your new one must be longer.
  • Submitted seasons should range from 20-60 students, ideally with most falling in the 30-50 range. There have been occasional larger seasons, but they are rare--if you really want to write one, please do so only after getting a more traditional season approved, then consult with staff and still be prepared for a no.
  • The top killer in your game should have a kill count of no more than nine or 20% of your season's population (rounded down), whichever is less. There have been higher kill counts and potentially more dominating kill percentages in the history of SOTF, but they are very rare. If you wish to explore such things, staff requests that you a. have a season following base guidelines approved and b. consult with staff and prepare for a no.
  • Escape attempts are rare, but not unheard of. They are, however, usually fairly small. We ask that an escape result in the survival of no more than 10% of a season's contestants (rounded up). Moreover, we ask that anyone submitting a season involving an escape have first written a more normal season. We also request that a specific range be followed to make sure escape density isn't too high. No seasons featuring an escape may be consecutive. More than that, there must be a total buffer of at least seven seasons between your escape season and any others. If there was an escape two seasons before your season, then the following six seasons must be escape-free. If there are two escape-free seasons before yours, then the following five seasons must not involve an escape, and so on.
  • Gimmicks are risky territory. Some gimmicks are relatively mild (every student starts with the same initial equipment, only bladed weapons are issues, students from multiple grade levels are chosen) and these can generally be employed without specific staff consultation, but we request that you have a normal season approved before you veer into the bizarre. Also note that gimmicks greatly increase the chance of your season being unworkable on a basic conceptual level. Any gimmicks relating to teams or team victories, co-winners of any sort, or extra rewards for killers will be denied outright--these things were innovations of Season 65.
  • Endgame usually kicks in between the final three and five contestants.
  • A typical season of SOTF lasts between three and seven days. Longer or shorter seasons are certainly possible, but are quite uncommon and tend to be viewed as outliers accordingly. The longest season was Season 61, at seventeen days. No season has ever reached completion more quickly than thirty-six hours.
  • Until further notice (and not including any seasons posted before this post), staff are imposing a moratorium on the following elements: a. twins and b. theme park arenas. Both have a lot of potential for interesting elements and cool twists, but both have also already gotten some pretty wide exposure in the TV universe, and we want to make sure they don't become too ubiquitous. If you really really want to feature one or both, please contact staff prior to starting work on your season; we are open to potential exceptions with a good reason.

Finally, in order to expedite the process of approval, staff will not be kicking profiles back and forth as they used to. Instead, we will be making edits to bring seasons more in line with the desired direction for the TV universe/for style and realism. Please do not submit unless you're fine seeing your work changed, potentially significantly. Seasons will be kicked back only if they are largely unworkable in their current state for some reason (perhaps due to lack of detail, rampant realism issue, or the like).

Please submit only one season at a time. Once your season is added to the Lore page on the wiki (or rejected for whatever reason), feel free to submit another if you so desire.

Guidance on ratings

Seasons thus far
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
A Degenerate
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Season Thirty-one, revamped for your viewing pleasure.

Spoiler: click to toggle

(And edited for a math error and to specify the time of year.)
Edited by backslash, Jan 28 2017, 10:10 PM.
Characters

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Resubmiting Season 48 from the last thread.

Season 48
Mini Art

Former characters

Pippin
Member Avatar
Look at the POOL, Michael, look at the magic in it!!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Re-submitting Season 19 from the previous thread, this time cutting out a lot of the chaff and needless gubbins!

Season 19
Currently Playing

Remembering those lost

Awesome art by awesome people

???

The Yugetnam War
Member Avatar
best officer on the force
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here's mine. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Season 17

Also, going to ask that nobody take season 41, as that's a season I'm planning on making stuff with and I'd rather the number not be taken from me.
Previously, on SotF: Cambodia
Young Americans
The Past
The Future

Posted Image

Espi
Member Avatar
Veteran
[ *  *  *  * ]
Season 36
TV2: Died, Didn't Do

SC2: Attempt Number Deux

Brackie
Member Avatar

[ *  *  *  * ]
Season 11

That length kinda spiraled out of control lol
The Program 2.5 - Traitors

Santiago Ibarra - Butterfly Knife

Nani Clover - Plastic Scythe

It is Known

Cicada Nights
Member Avatar
me_irl
[ *  *  * ]
I'm so sorry in advance. Also the reference to Season 20 is a reference to a future lore project Lore(lel) is working on.

Season 22
Active Games
Future Concepts (Mini)
The Days

Rika Furude
Member Avatar
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
Season 20

• its bad

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Updated with some new information, which is also being added here so you don't have to reread the first post and guess what changed:

*A typical season of SOTF lasts between three and seven days. Longer or shorter seasons are certainly possible, but are quite uncommon and tend to be viewed as outliers accordingly. The longest season was Season 61, at seventeen days. No season has ever reached completion more quickly than thirty-six hours.

Seasons thus far
Current characters:

Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
One more little rule addendum:

Please submit only one season at a time. Once your season is added to the Lore page on the wiki (or rejected for whatever reason), feel free to submit another if you so desire.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Claiming Season 18

Season 18
Mini Art

Former characters

backslash
Member Avatar
A Degenerate
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Season 45, since it didn't look like it was claimed.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Characters

Deamon
Member Avatar
How I Mod
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Season 13
PV2.5
Dakota Hightower - - The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

SOTF SC2
G04: Yasmin "Yaz" Carrol - - I'm Dracula Bitch - "I'll be back as quickly as possible. I promise."
G19: Kris - - - - - - - Myopia

SOTF-TV2
SOTF: The Program V2
Virtua-SOTF

The Yugetnam War
Member Avatar
best officer on the force
[ *  *  *  * ]
DO WHAT YOU WANT CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE

YOU ARE A PIRATE

Season 41
Previously, on SotF: Cambodia
Young Americans
The Past
The Future

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV2 Planning/Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.