Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Add Reply
  • Pages:
Stuck in the Middle with You; Open
Topic Started: Nov 30 2014, 10:32 PM (1,374 Views)
Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
"Feed my anger with children. Feed my lust with bikini food."
[ *  * ]
((Lily Ashburg continued from Psycho Beach Party))

Lily and Norma walked along the resort, with Lily glancing backwards every couple of minutes. She was somewhat surprised that Marcus and Lucia had let them go, and wanted to make sure that she and Norma hadn’t been followed. The area around them was quiet, however, leaving the two girls to walk beside each other in uncomfortable silence.

As soon as they were out of sight from Marcus and Lucia, Lily had pulled her arm out of Norma’s and stepped a couple feet away from her. She’d been surprised and a bit dismayed at the sudden physical contact, but had assumed that Norma had done it as a charade of friendship so that Marcus and Lucia would be more inclined to let them go. Glancing over at Norma, however, Lily hoped that was all it had been.

This show had a way off warping people’s ways of seeing each other; friends became enemies, and sometimes vise versa. She thought about the way Norma had greeted her, and felt her awkwardness increase. She really hoped that Norma hadn’t decided to be friends with her, just because she’d just happened to be the friendliest-looking person in sight. She hadn’t really thought about what would happen after they’d escaped from Marcus and Lucia. Helping Norma had seemed like the right thing to do at the time, but now she was stuck with another traveling companion, who she felt no affection for and who could make her life difficult very quickly.

She considered making some excuse, maybe slipping off for the bathroom and leaving, but on the other hand it was getting late, and she’d need to sleep at some point in the next couple of hours. Since she was no longer with Dougie, she didn’t have anyone to keep an eye out for danger while she slept. While Lily didn’t trust her, Norma hadn’t killed anyone yet, which made her more trustworthy than most of the other people here. Having her around for the night might be a good idea.

The wind bit at Lily’s face and hands as she walked, but she kept her head up, keeping an eye out a place to stay. Noticing a relatively small building nearby, she approached it and saw that it was some sort of spa. It wasn’t ideal, but it was probably warm and right now that was her priority. Checking the windows to make sure it was uninhabited, Lily opened the door and stepped inside.

The room was bright and cheerful in a horrible contrast to the dead body lying on a bench. Stepping inside, Lily moved a little closer to the body, recognizing it as a girl from school. She was pretty sure her name was Nina.

Lily stared at the corpse, and briefly considered looking for another place to stay before moving to the other side of the room, plopping her bag down and sitting on the floor with her back against the wall. It was late, she was tired and cold, and most of the other indoor places would probably also have dead bodies by this point. Closing her eyes she leaned against the wall, trying to gather her thoughts. She needed to figure out how trustworthy Norma was before doing anything else. Opening her eyes Lily glanced over at her, studying her for a few seconds before speaking, trying to keep her voice casual.

"So um, what weapons do you have?"
Lily

"Hero will never give up, never hide, never be defeated, never accept evil." --Samurai Flamenco
"Love is all about flowers and sunshine and puppies and nipple clamps." -Rubix, "Truth About Love" Tour 2013
"You are not allowed to mess with my profile!" - Irene 2014
"Words, words, words. Once I had a gift." --Shakespeare in Love
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
I wish I was a heartbeat that never comes to rest
[ *  *  * ]
((Norma Jean Torkleson continued from Psycho Beach Party))

So here she was with yet another new companion. This time it was Lily, whom she at least knew somewhat from school. Lily pulled away as soon as they were out of sight and that was fine with Norma. To counter she made a big show of brushing herself off after Lily yanked her arm back.

It looked like they were heading back to the area where the salon was. She didn't want to go back, but couldn't really think of a good way to breach the subject. They walked inside and Norma decided this might be the most singularly awkward moment of her life. This was really not how she thought SOTF would go if she were ever on it.

There also happened to be a dead body in here. Lily didn't seem to mind so much. Norma put her bag down but kept her spear and began shuffling the body over into the corner with her feet and by poking it along with the end of the weapon.

Lily asked her what weapon she had and all Norma could do was stand there staring at her with her spear by her side that was nearly as tall as she was.

"And people say I'm dumb," she said pointing at herself. She continued her work until the body was nearly off in the corner.

"This would be it for me. You?"
Sally > Katana

Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Lily watched as Norma started poking and shuffling the corpse in the direction of a corner, a queasy feeling growing in her stomach. She didn’t really know why it bothered her. Maybe it was the thought of touching a dead body, or the fact that Norma didn’t seem to have much regard for the fact that the body had once been a person.

At Norma’s jab, Lily felt an unexpected sting. Rationally, she knew that they were way past the point where petty insults mattered, but it still hurt for someone to essentially call her stupid.

“You know, if you’d actually listened, you would remember that I said ‘weapons,’ plural.” Lily shot back. At Norma’s question, Lily hesitated for a second before answering. “They gave me a pocket knife. Um, it’s in my bag.”

Lily regretted the words almost as soon as she said them. She’d never been a good liar; it had taken years for her to even be able to lie to her parents about having all her math homework done. She didn’t even know why she’d lied, except for a feeling that it would be a bad idea to tell Norma that she was unarmed.

She wished she hadn’t said the knife was in her bag. At the time, she’d hoped it would stave off questions, but now she realized that it had probably done the opposite. No one in their right mind would tell a stranger where their weapon was, because said stranger might go looking for it as soon as her back was turned. And what if Norma did look through her bag while she slept, didn’t find the knife, and decided to stab her with that spear? What good would a pocket knife even do her if she had one? She should have said that she had something more dangerous, or just ignored the question altogether, except the latter would have been as good as telling the truth.

Lily closed her eyes and pressed her hands against them, trying to think clearly. She wished she could sleep. More than anything she wished that she was back home, and that Norma was an annoying person at school rather than a potential threat. The sound of the corpse being pushed along the floor didn’t help.

“Would you stop that?” Lily snapped, raising her head.
Lily

"Hero will never give up, never hide, never be defeated, never accept evil." --Samurai Flamenco
"Love is all about flowers and sunshine and puppies and nipple clamps." -Rubix, "Truth About Love" Tour 2013
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"No, I wasn't the winner of the special double prize and I didn't steal anything."

She asked her to stop shuffling the corpse away. Norma shrugged and gave an exasperated sigh. With one last strong poke she got it away and into the corner. Norma plopped down with her bag and her spear on the floor opposite Lily. She put her arms on her knees and sunk her head halfway down, with only her eyes peering up over her arms.

"You better get that thing out if we go back outside. Like, I don't know how well I can fend people off on my own with this spear thingy. I don't even know how to use it. I assume like, pointy bit goes in threat, but there has to be more to it than that, right?"

Norma noticed a cabinet near her shoulder and opened it, looking inside. Her search yielded some bottles of styling gel and a package of dead sea mud face masks. She threw them into the middle of the room and tipped over with her head resting on her bag as a pillow.

"So where are your friends? Isn't there a book club clique or something?"

Sally > Katana

Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Lily winced as Norma shoved the corpse into the corner, but didn’t say anything.

When Norma mentioned the pocket knife, Lily’s stomach lurched. She hadn’t actually expected Norma to believe her to the point where she thought the knife would be useful. She was also somewhat disturbed by how Norma was talking about fighting with the spear, like stabbing someone with it was no big deal.

“I really don’t think that a pocket knife is going to help much,” she blurted out, feeling herself blush. This lie was getting out of hand.

She frowned as Norma pulled open a cabinet and scattered its contents on the floor. Nothing Norma was doing made any sense. If Lily had been less tired and scared, she might have reasoned that it was Norma’s way of dealing with stress. Right now though, everything Norma did heightened her anxiety, convincing her that Norma couldn’t be trusted, that eventually she was going to do something erratic and dangerous.

She was actually relieved when Norma asked about her friends, a topic that otherwise would have been off limits, because it gave her more time to figure out what to do. She hesitated for a second before replying.

“Most of my friends are sophomores and juniors. What about you?”
Lily

Dr. Freud
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Lily curled her knees up to her chest and rested her chin on them, thinking about what to do. They couldn’t sit here exchanging small talk forever, eventually one of them had to make a decision.

She was scared of going outside on her own again, and while she knew she couldn’t trust Norma, she still couldn’t figure out if she was dangerous. So far Norma hadn’t actually threatened her, but her casual attitude about murder wasn’t reassuring. Norma seemed to trust Lily, but that didn’t mean anything. It could be that Norma trusted Lily because she knew that Norma had the upper hand, or maybe she was just too vapid to care. Lily had never gotten a great impression of Norma’s intelligence. For that matter, Lily wasn’t sure that Norma could actually handle a bad situation while she slept. If she was on her own, she ran the risk of running into people like Jewel, Vahka or Pia, but she probably wasn’t much better off with Norma as her companion.

She glanced again at Norma resting against her bag, at the spear laying next to her. After a few more minutes of deliberation, she made her decision. Standing up, she slung her bag over her shoulder as she spoke.

“Look, Norma...I um, I’m going to go. I just kind of...need to be alone, I guess. Um, take care and everything…” she trailed off awkwardly, not looking at Norma’s face. “Bye,” she mumbled, turning around and walking outside.

The wind slapped her face and hands, making her shiver. As she trudged through the snow she glanced back at the spa, wondering if she made the right decision.

((Lily Ashburg continued in Blue Moon))
Lily

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Norma huffed and sat down, not really caring to answer the question about friends. Her only friend that mattered was gone and dead anyway, in that order. She slunk down, pulling her knees up and resting her chin against them as Lily started hemming and hawing about leaving.

"Whatever," she mumbled and let her go.

She noticed that as Lily left, she didn't take out her weapon. She must have been either very trusting or confident or dumb or maybe some combination of those not to go out with her weapon at the ready. Norma held on to her spear.

This wasn't how she imagined she'd be spending her time if she was ever on Survival of the Fittest. She hadn't seen anything perilous or been in many exciting or sexy situations, but she was doing pretty well in the boring, fly-under-the-radar sort of way. Unhurt, not tired, grumpy, but sane.

She decided to settle in for now and began slowly pushing salon chairs in front of the door.
Sally > Katana

Maraoone
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
((Cathryn Bailey continues from Discordant))

Cathryn never thought she'd hate a sunrise so much, but now, even though the light was blocked, spread out into this endless gray, every diffused ray still threatened to burn out her retinas. Her more sleep-averse friends back home said that it was supposed to be beautiful, seeing a second sunrise, but even if the clouds weren't obscuring it, she'd probably focus more on the fact that, holy fuck, she hasn't slept for 24 hours. And it seemed like so much longer, what with the grenades and the deaths and all. God.

She'd run all the way from the sports center, not bothering to stop, or look back. No, there was no way she'd take chances and risk getting caught up with by Vahka. And also, there was the matter of a gun. Or any weapon, really, even a fork, as long as it could kill. Quick.

That cocktail of emotions, terror, rage, for the first time in a long time, guilt, had been intensifying over the past hour or so, and it was getting to the point that she didn't even know what to feel, or how to respond. No, she'd lash out, finally get that release her heart and mind begged for, take out all of the hurt that had bottled up inside her, preferably on the types of Zoe Walker, but anyone would do. But no, Nina's last breaths, ragged, kicks, punches for another breath, Leah, fuck why would she do that, did she do that or were they lying, just freezing, maybe lying on the grass, like decoration, she couldn't do that to another innocent, no more, no more, just those who needed some karma, but, but, what if there were more Vahka's, more Jewel's, just lying in wait, not yet showing up on the announcements, what then?, would she be a Nina or a Leah, cannon fodder to be laughed at, played on repeat over and over again, to pop up on another girl's tumblr screams with humorous captions, and, and FUCK.

It just kept building up, like a volcano. But she couldn't let it out, didn't know how to.

And so, she ran into the nearest building, not caring where she went, as long as it was shelter, and as long as she was alone. Where she could break more portraits and smash more plates without a care in the world. But before business could get started, there was something that threw her off. Uncanny was the word. She set aside all those feelings, and wandered the hallways. It was on the tip of her tongue, she'd think of it just-

Ten meters or so away from her stood a girl pushing chairs in front of the main entrance. She'd clearly not checked everything. And, the bright colors, and 'Hung Up' resonated through the hallways. And, on a bench, right where she'd left it, was Nina's body. Still covered, too.

-now.

And all of a sudden, the halls of the salon rang with laughter.
Second Chances 2 Characters:
Dead:
B16: "Badass" Johnny Lancer (adopted from Yugi!) is the diplomat with scars inside and out. He got what he deserved in Though Far Away, We're Still the Same [8/65]
Pregame: Hold Your Horses Now (We Sleep Until the Sun Goes Down).
Memories: Through the Dreamers, We Hear the Hum. They Say "Come On, Come On, Let's Go."
Previous Threads: I'm Looking For a Place to Start, But Everything Feels So Different Now - waste of words - Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep - Sinking Man - Little Talks - There and Back Again - Your Bones - some day we may come to peace with the world within ourselves

B33: Damion Castillo is the perfectionist with cracks in his facade. He ran out of time in At Every Occasion, I'll Be Ready For The Funeral [38/65]
Previous Threads: Second Impressions - I'd Rather Be At The Aquarium.
Memories: Take a Bite of My Heart Tonight

SOTF TV2

Chat sig since my main chat sig is full

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
It was still winter and she was not dressed for the occasion in the least. When she left for school that day she didn't think she'd be near the ocean in winter. If there was anything she could change about the last few days, it might have been to pack a winter coat.

Norma shivered and breathed into her stiff hands. Moving the furniture had helped a bit, so she avoided standing still. Suddenly there was laughing. Echoing, nightmarish laughter. She jolted straight up. Her blonde pigtails were a mess with strands in front of her face and she blinked furiously.

Norma pointed her spear at the girl and planted her feet. "Back up. Don't you try nothin' crazy, don't you do it."

Sally > Katana

Maraoone
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
Light, even this blurred, dull excuse for sunlight that seemed to reign now, could really transform a place, couldn't it?

The dull gray halls that she'd walked, no, stumbled through last night, with its obscured corners and labyrinth-like passages, was no more. In its place was something cheerful and joyous and happy, with its bright orange walls. If it weren't for Cathryn's sleep deprivation, and the high emotions still running through her, it might have convinced her to actually smile.

She tried to say something to, to fix this? To calm the situation? But it was hard trying to say something coherent, with nerves pricking her face and doing this little dance. Her feet had been doing that too, but there, the pricks subsided, and in its place was this nothingness. She looked down at her violet flip-flops and saw that her toes were the same shade. At this, she felt just as much as her toes did, the shock that should've occurred having been drowned out by everything else.

Eventually, after a long, long, couple of seconds, she summoned enough effort to look at this girl with her sword.

Had she overloaded? Has her mind short-circuited? Maybe she had, when that laugh came out of her. Here this girl was, with the sharpened tip of her sword inches from Cathryn's face, and yet the blood wasn't rushing to a crescendo, like it had with Vahka, or Jewel. In fact, it seemed to be slowing, fading. Even with her victi- Nina, laying there, bathed in light, her breaths weren't quickening, her eyes weren't widening. Disconnect.

"Uhm, sorry, just. Really shocked, worn down. Don't worry, not... planning..." she mumbled.

That was all she could muster.
Dead:
B16: "Badass" Johnny Lancer (adopted from Yugi!) is the diplomat with scars inside and out. He got what he deserved in Though Far Away, We're Still the Same [8/65]
Memories: Through the Dreamers, We Hear the Hum. They Say "Come On, Come On, Let's Go."
Previous Threads: I'm Looking For a Place to Start, But Everything Feels So Different Now - waste of words - Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep - Sinking Man - Little Talks - There and Back Again - Your Bones - some day we may come to peace with the world within ourselves

B33: Damion Castillo is the perfectionist with cracks in his facade. He ran out of time in At Every Occasion, I'll Be Ready For The Funeral [38/65]

SOTF TV2

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"What weapons do ya have?"

The girl seemed to be looking around the room. True, there were a few dead people around, so Norma lowered her spear just a bit.

"I didn't kill any one," she grumbled.

In fact that was maybe the whole problem, wasn't it? Ten kills got you sent home scott free. Well that would be pretty much be bust by that point. Their numbers were dwindling and by now anyone who had killed probably had better weapons than her.

Norma looked at her sideways. It was a girl from school, Cathryn. She knew of her, but they'd never really talked, for better or for worse.

"Where's your team?" she said, leaning the spear against a hair drying machine. It was getting tiresome to hold it up.
Sally > Katana

Maraoone
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
Cathryn couldn't stop staring.

Her eyes were fixated on Nina, and there was nothing but you did this you did this you did this in her head. Her first work on display, still lying on the bench, and now Cathryn had come back to look at this set piece, a true set piece because the other girl didn't really seem to mind looking at it. She tried to, needed to replace this thought with you needed to do this you needed to do this you'll do this again but she just couldn't quite do it. So, she stared at the girl she'd choked the life out of. Until Norma spoke.

"Huh?"

Cathryn blinked a few times, her eyes turning from glassy to attentive, and her lips turned down a bit. A weariness, dread crept inside her at the last thought, and perhaps at the lack of sleep. you'll do this again. More works to be made, more people to shoot until she could get out. More.

The logical part of her thought it better to walk out, considering her entrance, but Cathryn's legs ached, tingled. Her being ached. A rest would be nice. Like that small talk with Jackson, but real. No hidden agendas to worry about. This could never happen, really, with all the tension that came here, and the announcements were coming too. But just five minutes or so of that, even with some plastic, gossiping, romance-reading bitch that, back at Whittree, she wouldn't even look at, much less talk with. And hopefully no Vahka or Jewel to come in.

"None. At least none of any use. They gave me some toy sword, but I doubt you could stab someone with plastic. Threw it away."

Even through her fatigue, Cathryn figured that mentioning her flamingo wouldn't be for the best, especially since it'd probably be lying around here.

"As for my team, danger zones. We got split."

Half-true. Nothing Norma needed to know.

"You?"
Dead:

SOTF TV2

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Cathryn took so long to answer her back Norma almost started yelling "ANYONE HOME?" but before it hit that point, she replied.

In retrospect, she didn't really know why she bothered to ask any of these questions. If she was telling the truth, that was fine she supposed, but it was equally possible she was lying. It was possible of everyone she'd met with the exception of the crazy people she encountered who were too forgone to really care to lie.

Norma hurled the spear with a girlish grunt of anguish at the opposite wall, where it bounced and rolled slowly back to her.

"Useless!" she hissed just when the spear hit her foot.

"Yeah I'm terrific, team's right here. Bobby, Jamie, Chris," she said pointing her finger at each invisible person. "You pro'ly think I'm a bitch for that answer, but I don't care! I just don't care about anything anymore."

She sighed and sat down with her back leaning against a beauty chair. She pulled her knees up towards her, hugged them and blinked a few times at the floor.

"I tried, you know? I tried to keep my hope up and stuff, but it's exhausting hoping all the time. It turns out it's the most tiring thing, even more than cheer practice. What's even the point? I suck. I've probably always sucked, but didn't notice it when I was hanging on to someone who pulled me up above my sucking like my brother and Sissy. And I know you don't care. You're like 'Who cares about this wimp? I better look for an exit before she snaps.' And that's fine."
Sally > Katana

Maraoone
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
Cathryn brushed off the harsh sarcasm. The urge to snap out one more insult remained. It was always there, almost a reflex of sorts but she couldn't be bothered to think up some retort. And she'd had more than her fair share of fight for today, and probably the rest of her life.

Her eyes drifted to the spear, and another part of her niggled, urged her to grab it. If she didn't, it'd probably come back to haunt her. But screw it. Leave it there for now. She forced her gaze back to Norma.

"And your point is?"

She couldn't quite believe that she was about to get into some emotional-ish conversation with one of the cheerleaders, out of all the people, but what choice did she have? Not like there's a better alternative.

"You know, low expectations always helped me. It's hard to not meet them. That's how I've tried dealing with things here."

She sucked in her cheeks a bit, exhaled air from her nose.

"But sometimes, this place can't even do that, I'll admit."

She decided to sit down on the floor too, cross-legged. Her skin protested against the ice-cold surface, but her muscles sighed in relief.

"So, since there's nothing else to do- at least, nothing else we'd want to do- tell me. How d'you suck? Like, what's happened to you?"
Dead:

SOTF TV2

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"No one told you to look for a point."

Norma snatched the spear back up and contracted in on herself, pushing her body closer to the cabinets and avoiding meeting Cathryn's gaze. Her low expectations pep talk wasn't really doing it for her. The lowest possible expectation she could set herself to was death and it wasn't something that really raised her feelings.

"No offense or something but I don't really wanna sit here and tell you all about the crappy things that happened to me since I woke up. My best friend in the world since I was born practically left me to die and she's dead now."

She sniffled loudly and pushed her hand under her eyes. More than anything, she started worrying. What if she became like Marcus? Could she lose it that badly, and if so how far was she from it?

Sally > Katana

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Palms Spa and Salon · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.