Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Great and Mighty, (Almost) All-Version Mini Read-A-Thon
Topic Started: Nov 29 2014, 02:05 AM (6,072 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
I can trick them into thinking anything
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Way back when I launched the V4 Read-A-Thon after a discussion with Geno, one of the first questions people asked was whether I had any interest in running a similar project here on Mini. At the time, such a project didn't seem either practical or necessary; TV1 was still in progress, Evo Endgame was still ongoing, and there was still periodic talk of seeing Program V1 and the BR AU completed. I declined to host anything, feeling myself too busy hosting the V4 RAT and dealing with my own writing.

Times change. V4's RAT ran its course, and as of its revival today has every character claimed. I learned a lot during its time--not least of all that the format I clung to for updating the list and posting assignments was stupendously inefficient. I also saw a ton of enthusiasm from handlers new and old. Since that time, there have been two more RATs: the Program V1 RAT, officiated by Bik, and the V3 RAT, officiated by Un and Rattle. Both have been generally successful and have brought a bunch of characters back into site discourse.

When I was first approached with the idea of a Mini RAT, I thought it would be really cool to see every game played on Mini all rolled into one giant list. Such an approach, to me, is in the spirit which the project first sprang from, one of rediscovery of the forgotten and of cool surprises found along the way.

Funnily, I had this all drafted up last week, but was twiddling my thumbs before the resurgence of interest in the V4 RAT pushed me into tweaking it to completion. With all the RATs going once again, I felt the time was right. Lo, thus is born the (Almost) All-Version Mini RAT.

I've compiled a list of the two hundred and fifty-four characters from completed versions of Mini (here defined as any version that hasn't seen a post in at least a year or that does have a winner), excluding PV1. Initially, I'd planned to overlap with the PV1 RAT. I actually really like the ideas of smaller, game-centric RATs, perhaps even run in tandem with this. I know some handlers care about, say, TV, but couldn't care less about the BR AU. The goal of this is to be big and crazy and comprehensive, and that requires as full a stockpile as possible. That said, having seen the PV1 RAT get new requests today, it feels horribly unfair to supplant it in any way. Thus, go over there for your PV1 kids.

For everything else, you're in the right spot.

How this works is thus: You ask for a character, and I randomly determine one for you to read. Unlike the V4 RAT, I'm not going to post logs and do it through AIM. That took buckets of time for almost no appreciable benefit. I'll be generating assignments through Random.org. I'm not gonna screencap 254 times; you'll just have to trust that I'm not spitefully assigning you the longest kids in each version. I'll post who you're assigned and mark it on the list, and then cross the character off when you're done.

Usually, people leave comments on the characters they read, but I want to make it really clear that while that's super cool, it's also totally optional. You can just say you're done and that's good enough. The goal is to give you characters to read because you're interested in exploring Mini, not to add busywork or anything you're not interested in.

I also want to take a moment to discuss what sorts of comments are appropriate and what sorts are not. It's fine to dislike a character and to say why. It is not fine to insult handlers for things they have written. The RAT is not open-mic night at the comedy club, and you don't get points for the most hilariously cutting take-down of whoever you got rolled. Such things are entirely counter to the spirit of discovery I'm interested in fostering, and if I have any issues with inappropriate commentary, I'll be at a minimum excusing the offenders from further participation. It's totally fine to like nothing about a character. A lot of these characters come from Mini's past, when it was initially conceived as even more of a training ground for handlers, and as a result there's some writing here that's quite rough. I just need to see distaste expressed in a constructive manner, with empathy and grace.

Finally, I find trading and rerolling to be against the spirit of the project. Trades will not be recognized. If you want to tackle commenting on a specific character, you should feel free to do so! You can post on the wiki, and you can even use this thread to share how your opinions mirror or differ from whoever gets assigned them! I don't want assignments being swapped around, though. The whole point is that you're getting assigned a character at random. If you want a non-random character, well, no need for an RAT for that.

That out of the way, here's every character from every Mini/AU prior to TV2, except PV1. Given their greater density and comparative obscurity, I have not excluded winners or finalists. I have decided to include even incomplete characters, since by and large their stories seem as done as they're gonna get.

The List

Request at your leisure. Have fun reading! :)

For my convenience
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Espi
Member Avatar
Veteran
[ *  *  *  * ]
In.
TV2: Died, Didn't Do

SC2: Attempt Number Deux

Bowser
Member Avatar
Rookie
[ *  * ]
Roll me one please
Program 2.5

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Espi: America "Clara" Fox (PV2) (Program V2 Start)
Bowser: Mizuho Inada (BR AU) (BR AU Start)
Current characters:

Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

The Yugetnam War
Member Avatar
best officer on the force
[ *  *  *  * ]
me
Previously, on SotF: Cambodia
Young Americans
The Past
The Future

Posted Image

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yugikun: John Benson (TV V1 Start)
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

Ohm
Member Avatar
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
This is gonna be big! I'm up for it!
TV2
SP4 Zoe Walker Posted Image

SCDos
James Mulzet Posted Image

Kasumi White

Program V3 Prologue

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ohm: Alicia "Ali" White (TV V1 Start)
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

TwoThirty(e)
Veteran
[ *  *  *  * ]
So many characters o.o

I'd like to help!

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RC: Sally Connelly (SC) (Second Chances Start)
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

The Homeless Bearde
Member Avatar
"Two plus two is four, minus one is three quick maths"
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hit me!
SOTF SCDos
Brandon Baxter is holding it all together. -- Keep it secret, keep it safe.
Kasumi White is writing her story. -- She could do this.

The Past

My Steam Stats

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NAFT: Ashley Sydor (Program V2 Start)
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

SansaSaver
Member Avatar
master of sweg
[ *  *  * ]
One for me pleaaaaseeee~
Current Characters:

The Program 2.5
M22 – Nicholas Rogers – Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
F26 – Theodora Smalls – Candelabra

Former Characters

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SansaSaver: Lyn Burbank (SC) (Second Chances Start)
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

brujito
Member Avatar
duchess of piss
[ * ]
toss one this way please + thanks!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.