Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mini General Discussion Thread
Topic Started: Jun 20 2012, 02:59 AM (1,283 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
I can trick them into thinking anything
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, I'm hoping this thread isn't redundant. We have some wonderful discussion threads for the separate Minis and AUs, but over on the Main board, the General Discussion thread has become something of a place for universal opinions on writing and stuff. I feel like we might get a little more discussion going with a big, universal Mini discussion thread here.

So, to start it off, I'm gonna ask a question that proved pretty interesting over on Main: What are everybody's character regrets for Mini? I'm sure folks have 'em. I'll chime in with mine once discussion gets going a bit.

Also, don't be shy about changing the topic. These threads tend to be very informal. :)
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

outfoxd
Contender
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...Not winning Program with Bryant. Or at least making it to Endgame.

TV2: Jackson King
Current Thread: Killer Munchies

Acidic
Member Avatar
Don't ya wish your girlfriend was hot like me?
[ *  *  *  * ]
Right now my biggest regret is having Madelyn become a big player. Did I toss around the idea before? Yes, but I decided it was a bad idea and I should've stood by it.

Otherwise I feel pretty good about everything I've done here.
SOTF-TV

SOTF Virtua

A wise man once said,

"Fuck everyone, cuddle the survivors."

-------------------------------------

I will always welcome constructive criticism through PMs.

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@ Cid - I think it would have been good either way. On one hand I'd have loved for Shawn and Madelyn to have a non-hostile vibe with one another and talk on friendly terms in game (cause they're friends). On the other hand, Madelyn being a player helped a lot in having an antagonist and villain for the late game, as without her I'd feel we would be lacking in motivators/instigators for the end game.

As for regrets, hmm..

Program: This was my first RP game ever so there were alot of things I did/write in character and OOC that I wish I could have changed or not do. I wasn't as familiar with the etiquette and I over-did somethings, like swallow people's posts, move too far ahead to push the storyline, make stupid speeches which passively GM'd people, that stuff. My formatting and writing was a little odd and had a bit of grammar errors and stylistic choices that I shouldn't have gone with.

For Luke - I did a lot of corny things with him, as I wasn't sure what to do. He went back and forth between bad and good too much, so consistency was off. Should have checked with people for scenes. Over-did and dramatized some stuff. Shouldn't have made him 'cool' considering the universe, what with his race and all. It's just that, being my first, I wasn't adjusting to a universe radically different from the real world, and just went ahead and made normal characters. I really should have taken advantage of the universe's influence there, again it was my first, so I could only really think of more normal styled characters. I also have a few things in the profile that look weird, that I would've denied myself now days. >_>

I don't regret the moving from one thread to another as if he's traveling. I still find movement/travel around the map quite interesting for playing out like a game. It's still a game to me after all. Maybe not the best for storyline purposes, but I like little touches like that.

For Wendy - Wow, I try to forget Wendy. I did things horribly there. Her profile was okay, but I wanted to joke around with my brothers suggestions, who was right there in back of me as I wrote the profile. He wanted me to add extra lingerie and double underwear, and super sexualize her. I thought it was funny so I complied and people still remember that stuff the best from her. x_x I wish I kept her nice all the way to the end instead of suddenly F'Bombing with her. I was very sleepy when I wrote her initial post and read the whole setting wrong and Shawnee's post in response made me realize how stupid I was for what happened.

~~~

TV: I put two characters with huge planned story-arcs and strong personalities into the game together. I shouldn't have, as I should have expected that one of them were going to die eventually, if no one wanted to save. Possibly should have Separated Tiffany/Shawn into different versions. I'm not too sad about that, as the end result of having them there, was satisfying to see play out with other characters, due to earlier actions.

Tiffany - I regret doing some odd formatting especially in her first in-game post. Gah, I might've added to the clowny vibe.

I should have written her profile a bit better, as there was quite a bit of questionable things I put in there - like the whole brother harrasment thing and the whole karate thing. Fun Fact: The karate thing was something I was going to play up for laughs rather than advantages. She was going to cat-fight Fiori's Amber, when Sterling was around and scream out "I know KARATE bitch!" Then end up kitty fighting instead. Tiffany was going to get slapped by Amber after Tiffany said something derogatory about her being a slut/whore/trollop which reminded Amber of her sisters. Then they'd get it on in a semi-sexual, semi-humourous, cat fight for TV purposes, and for blog fan reaction. The end result would prove serious as Tiffany would ask her friend Sterling who was there to pick a side and leave the other. Sterling would pick Amber, and Tiffany would feel betrayed.

She'd leave all snappy/bitchy like as always, but secretly be crying to herself as soon as she was gone from them... cause as written in her diary, she really did like Sterling and Sterling picking Amber would have hurt her. Then I forgot what the plan was next, but the chaste/aggressive Tiffany would show a softer side and end up making out with Odile, I think? Lol. Odile, taking advantage of the emotions.

But then Tiffany would be shocked at her own actions and run away, throwing a bitch fit for the status quo... That's where she would team up with the rest of the ORANGE team that played out very quickly. The plan was that Vincent and Tiffany would unite the Orange Team and Steam roll the island, as a group of players, who individually aren't all, villains but as a group they were. I'd pull in earlier interactions with Sterling/Odile/Amber/Lexi and friends back home into the whole arc. Unfortunately, Tiffany was rolled really early on, so I had to fast forward the whole process, and she ended up being killed by Karen.

For some reason I also had the idea of making her use the game to get some payback to the Detroit kids who tormented her and her brother back home, but decided the underestimated Orange Power Team idea was a much better idea. Everyone in the group except Ferric Tam's handler agreed to the idea.

Shawn - I'll keep this brief, because he's still alive. There were moments of in-consistency with him (though I could pass that off as a result of weed) and I sort of over-exaggerated some of his behaviors. I'd liked to have built up his family relationship a little better, as there isn't much there that I would have liked to play around with. I played around with a song post of The Joker, which didn't really look like it fit in well with the flow, should not have done that, I think. I also SO should have had his father die by drowning instead of getting hit by a car in his profile, as I think it would have fit extraordinarily well with Mae's near drowning. I just couldn't think of anything at the time I guess. Also I wish some of my formatting early on with the retelling of stuff that happened earlier - well I wanted it to look a little more organized than what I ended up doing. I also regret some of the horrible romance things I did early on. I'm not very good at writing romance, and I didn't want to force P-ink to have Mae do all that, so I thought I'd initiate some. Should never have, as I suck at it. x_x

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtua:

Big Mike - I regret not playing with him. He has a strong personality type that I could easily use later on and I very strongly regret that I couldn't use him/make much happen with him. Biggest overall regret for a specific character's arc so far, cause basically I didn't do anything.

Delilah - I don't regret much with her actually. Maybe only a few sections of bad writing... but other than that, I'm quite proud of her storyline, thanks in large part to other handlers I've worked with. She probably is my most consistent/realistic character, through thought processes and actions. It's something I'll try to aim to do more of in the future.

... Hm, that's all for now. :)
Second Chances Version 2 Characters:
B14: Kyran Dean | Alive - bandaged cheek with diagonal scar, bloody nose | Whatever (Catchphrase) in: Hero? But I'm a Kid Like Everyone Else | AK-47
G29: Wendy Fischer | Alive | Pantsless in: Carp Diem | Frozen 25lb Carp with no head (Mr. Dolph)

Sotf-TV Season 65 Flagship:
Gold Team Member #4 (SDA Male): Shawn Morrison | One with the Universe | Being Real in: Oracular Spectacular | Brian Peter George St. John Le Baptiste De La Salle Eno, The Deceased Boa Constrictor.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alrighty! Here are mine:

BR AU:

Shuuya Nanahara: I actually kinda wish I hadn't killed Shuuya off in his first thread. I mean, looking back, I see exactly why I did it (long story short, I requested Shuuya, then realized it had been ages since I read BR and so I couldn't really remember his character very well. Since he's the, there's tons of stuff to compare and nitpick, which would have put him under a lot of scrutiny and me under a lot of pressure. I got scared and killed him instead). That said, I sort of wish I'd powered through BR again, gotten a feel for him, and taken him a bit into the actual game. probably still an early kill, but something with a touch more substance, so he wasn't basically just the AU's Yoshitoki role.

Kyoichi Motobuchi: Kyoichi was the first villain sort I messed around with, except that he got rolled basically instantly. I really wish I'd messed around with him some more, maybe hit a few quicker threads. Also, I don't like his death. It was a bit rushed. Really, he's just a thoroughly generic characters who never did much, and that's unfortunate, especially since I lucked out enough to pull the bulletproof vest.

Mizuho Inada: I picked Mizuho because I really hated her in the book/manga. I tried to justify her craziness a bit more while keeping her roughly in character with the book. In retrospect, I'd make her a bit loopier in less action-oriented ways. I was very much coming off of V3, where all my favorite characters had big epic plots and did tons of stuff and so I sort of tried to fit Mizuho into that mold and make her a main character, when I think she might have had a better place in the game in more of a support role. The actual threads and writing I quite enjoyed, though.

Evo:

I regret nothing.

Oh, except this line:
Quote:

And then she threw her hands up to cover her face, purely out of instinct, seeking to protect it from danger, and started screaming, as waves of agony washed over her, blinding her, deafening her, turning her world into a red howl of anguish.

That's some really awful purple prose. It is so bad it stuck in my head for like two years and I still hate it. I've hated it since a week after I wrote it.

The Program V1:

Nicole Campbell: Nicole was a character concept I really liked, but she was more an experiment in voice and style for me. When her thread-mates slowed way down in activity, I lost some interest, and I was excited about working with story with Karl and Juliet, so I heroed Nicole out. I wish I'd gotten to do a bit more with her before that, though. She had a voice and some issues, but I never found her story, and that's too bad.

Karl Chalmers: Haha, hoo boy. A lot of stuff about Karl bugged me. He was a pain in the neck to write, 'cause I had to argue, in good faith, really repugnant philosophical points. I wish I'd let him toughen up a little bit more over time. He softened in his feelings, which was half of what I wanted, but he didn't really work himself into someone better quite as much as I wanted. The most moving part of his story for me was Juliet being all nice to his body after he died, which doesn't really speak well to my connection and investment in him. He was a character who really worked for me when he was working, and absolutely did nothing for me when he wasn't, and I let myself get mired in the apathetic second situation more than I should have.

SOTF-TV:

Renée Carlson: To start with, the é made writing posts a constant pain in the neck. Just figured I should get that out of the way.

Renée was a character who had a lot of potential, except that I sort of sabotaged her through my other character. Basically, Renée ending up getting less attention, and more than that I had to work very carefully through her story to avoid having her end up going after my own character (scenes where handlers have two characters together or use one of their characters to constantly comment on another being one of my least favorite things in SOTF). Had I known that Karen would actually end up as successful as she did, I would have saved Renée for a later season when I could send her after the big players without any awkwardness. I think my initial ideas for her were much better than what I ended up doing.

Karen Ruiz: Karen is pretty much as close to pleased with a character as I've been on Mini. I kinda wish stuff had flowed quicker in her last couple of threads, as there were actually a few final plot points that got truncated or ditched due to the slowdown that I think had some potential, but that's just minor quibbling.

Virtua SOTF:

Richard Ormsby: I wish I'd start Richard sooner and given him another thread of buildup/villainous deeds before his death. I don't feel like him dying was quite as much of a jolt or a boost to Delilah as it could have been, and his entire purpose was to kick it very early in an interesting fashion.

William Lohman: I regret using Will for Virtua. When I made his profile, I was absolutely convinced that would be rolled out of V4 before Endgame, and thus would have plenty of time for Virtua. That did not happen. As such, Will was basically a worthless character with no plots or voice or feel.
Current characters:

Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
Don't tell me to smile
[ *  *  *  * ]
Regrets? Oh, yeah, I've got a few.

Program- Megan Jacobson was my only Program character, and for the most part I really enjoyed writing her. Going back and reading her was a bit different, though. There was something that was a bit too rushed with her execution. She'd completely change moods from thread to thread, and while that worked for her very hyperactive personality, it felt sort of fake to read over. The biggest mistake I think I made was in explaining her death. There wasn't a lot of build-up to Megan deciding she wasn't afraid to die anymore, so it came off a bit sudden, in my opinion. That said, I did really enjoy writing Megan (and I still enjoy writing Megan.)

SotF-TV- Oh boy, Jaszmine Johnson. I love the idea of Jaszmine more than I actually liked writing her, in the end, and she got completely shoved aside in favor of Brenda pretty early on. I had so many ideas for Jaszmine that I ignored entirely, and she came off as really static and pretty dull in the end. The only really exciting part of her character was when she got chocked to death by a rattlesnake- a move that falls entirely to Keaka's planning. So Jaszy was sort of a mess, and I wish I'd given her more actual character and time to develop.

Brenda, on the other hand, I have very few regrets for. I'd have liked to see Team Bread last a little longer, but I think what we did in our fairly short amount of time on the island was at the very least entertaining. Brenda's death was also the first time I was semi-fond of a death I'd written, mostly because I thought it was just awful enough to actually fit the bill. Before Brenda, all of my characters either had self-inflicted or character-boosting deaths, or novelty deaths (woo, rattlesnake choking). Brenda didn't really undergo any major development in her last post, nor did she get to choose her death, nor was she ready to die. I do think it might have been a bit harsh to have her get shot in the throat, though. Oh well.

Vitua SotF- Oh man, I really shouldn't have even made Harper in the first place. Harper was supposed to be my experiment in making a character who's entire character was basically being as boring as humanly possible. The unfortunate part about making this character was that, well, she was dull to write as well. Her first thread had her go from being the comedic "freaking out" character to almost instantly level-headed, mostly because I didn't really know what to do with her. It was entirely the fault of the rolls that Harper did anything interesting at all, and despite surviving a few sets of rolls, Harper was only in two threads- the second one being her oneshot death post. Harper was the first character I ever let go inactive because I just did not know what to do with her. So my biggest Virtua regret was basically everything she did at all, honestly.
Bring Out Your Dead

Getting a Second Chance

Live free. Die young.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've got a question for everyone: What's a constructive way to express criticism of scenes, characters, etc.? Knowing that Mini is a sort of training ground, should criticism be expressed as strongly as on Main? Personally, a feel like writers on Mini need more feedback than those on Main, as they're theoretically trying to improve here. Also, how does everyone feel about comments made on the wiki? To be honest, I often restrain my thoughts on characters I'm not a huge fan of, but I sort of wonder if that's doing their handlers a disservice (assuming polite, respectful, specific criticism/airing of issues, not anonymous insults).

How's everyone else feel about this?
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Speaking as someone who is new and is using Mini to work on their writing, I welcome criticism. It can be done through the Wiki, or it could simply be done through private PM's. I would just like to know how people feel about my characters and writing style so I could avoid the mistakes in the main game.

If anyone has something to bring forth, let me know.
Mini Art

Former characters

jimmydalad
Member Avatar
That Guy
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm with Laurels on this. Though it can be hard, especially for me, to read criticism at times, I also feel that it is necessary in order to improve. These can be done with the wiki with regards to the section where people can comment on the characters as well as pm's. As MurderWeasel said, the mini is a place where people are trying to improve.

As for a constructive way, as long as people are not rude about it and saying stuff like "Your character sucks" and generally giving their criticism in a polite and kind way, I think that is a good way for people to improve. Just being offensive might cause someone to be discouraged from being a handler in general.
The Program V2

TV V2

Second Chances

Artsy Stuff That People Have Done

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MurderWeasel
Jul 5 2012, 07:36 PM
I've got a question for everyone: What's a constructive way to express criticism of scenes, characters, etc.? Knowing that Mini is a sort of training ground, should criticism be expressed as strongly as on Main? Personally, a feel like writers on Mini need more feedback than those on Main, as they're theoretically trying to improve here. Also, how does everyone feel about comments made on the wiki? To be honest, I often restrain my thoughts on characters I'm not a huge fan of, but I sort of wonder if that's doing their handlers a disservice (assuming polite, respectful, specific criticism/airing of issues, not anonymous insults).

How's everyone else feel about this?
I agree with this. Constructive criticism and just general advice and suggestions for improvement are always a good thing. Whether that be through PM or Wiki comments I think it's cool. Heck I always like seeing new additions/thoughts/comments on the wiki in reaction to character, and what people liked and wish could have been better. As long as it's respectful and helpful, there shouldn't be a problem. It's the delivery of said comments/advice that makes it good or not I think. So yeah this is totally cool - the wiki always needs a little more love than it has been having.
Second Chances Version 2 Characters:
B14: Kyran Dean | Alive - bandaged cheek with diagonal scar, bloody nose | Whatever (Catchphrase) in: Hero? But I'm a Kid Like Everyone Else | AK-47
G29: Wendy Fischer | Alive | Pantsless in: Carp Diem | Frozen 25lb Carp with no head (Mr. Dolph)

Sotf-TV Season 65 Flagship:
Gold Team Member #4 (SDA Male): Shawn Morrison | One with the Universe | Being Real in: Oracular Spectacular | Brian Peter George St. John Le Baptiste De La Salle Eno, The Deceased Boa Constrictor.

outfoxd
Contender
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just got done reading a large chunk of Program 2. Just wanna say, shit's cool, bitches be cray-cray, and keep up the awesome.

Also, the racism seems to be getting less caricatured, which is cool. I was one of the chief offenders in V1, so I accept the scourging.
TV2: Jackson King
Current Thread: Killer Munchies

Espi
Member Avatar
Veteran
[ *  *  *  * ]
I regret not joining the site 2 weeks earlier and getting into Program V2. ;-:

On the note of criticism, I'd be readily accepting of it. I know I need to make sure my writing is top-notch, so whoever has anything to say about my writing or characters should definitely let me know.

Not that I've got any characters to criticize :C
TV2: Died, Didn't Do

SC2: Attempt Number Deux

Espi
Member Avatar
Veteran
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sorry for double posting but I had a random question and nobody's posted in a long while. Also sorry for necromancing but this isn't something that needs a new thread since it's just a random question.

What's your favorite mini setting?
TV2: Died, Didn't Do

SC2: Attempt Number Deux

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's tricky, but edge to TV.

Virtua's setting was a cool idea that never really went anywhere, in large part because the game by concept precluded the idea of doing too much with it in-game.

Program's setting is interesting as a dystopia,but the problem is that people have a really tough time being restrained with it; it often becomes almost caricatured in how it's dealt with.

TV, while it has issues too, tends to be more forgiving. It's also got a massive amount of stuff besides just the announcements, including a lotof handler involvement, which is cool. I mean, I do wanna see less of some things (retcon theorizing about kids goofing off in the game is a patch to a problem, not an endorsement of doing that again), but by and large the setting works well.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

Macha
Member Avatar
My life goes sort of like yours does, but funny and more drunk.
[ *  *  *  * ]
TV wins for me due to the hilarious metagame (in-universe bitching on twitter!) and the sense of connectivity. Everyone tends to be friendlier in TV because it's the "lightest" setting, so you get a really connected universe as everyone is interacting with everyone in pre-game, which leads to some really interesting storylines in the game proper.

I would really love to see a more serious early game than TV1, though. We went full crazy there.
TV2:
CS4 - Genevieve Cordova - ALIVE - Rondel Dagger - My lady avails herself of marked down freedom, forever cashed out to no more.
AE1 - Eden Zahn - DECEASED - Ballistic Riot Shield - It was for freedom. From myself and from the land.
Spoiler: click to toggle

This is literally that brain eating link thing. People are putting this in their sigs again. I guess 2002 is in this season? Click it if you want. Or don't. I'm not your boss.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.