Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Add Reply
  • Pages:
Let's Go to the Mall!
Topic Started: Jun 12 2012, 09:31 PM (1,596 Views)
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
I wish I was a heartbeat that never comes to rest
[ *  *  * ]
((Sally Connelly continued from They Could Have at Least Left Me Something...))

Sally ran from the hospital. It seemed like there was some other sort of structure in the distance. Her hand was still tightly clamped down on Megan's. Her arm was starting to hurt from the weight of the sword in her other hand, bouncing along as she ran. Her long blonde hair was whipping wildly. She was running surprisingly well for the fact that she was wearing towering high heels. Not particularly quickly as she wasn't a very fast girl, but probably better than most people could on such shoes.

The next building looked vast. There was a fountain out front with a blue mosaic on the ground. She stopped short just of the revolving doors.

"A mall!" Sally said, between breaths. "We can hide in there like that zombie movie where they hid in a mall."

Sally > Katana
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
Don't tell me to smile
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Megan Jacobson continued from They Could Have at Least Left Me Something...))

Megan, very proudly, did not stumble as she was dragged forcibly behind Sally. Granted, that might have been because Sally was running around in the most ridiculous shoes ever, but, hey, it wasn't like she thought she was gonna get kidnapped by terrorists, or whatever. And they were pretty cute shoes, too.

Megan only stopped as Sally did, wondering if now was a good time to whip out her "electric razor." She didn't want to stun gun Sally or anything. Sally was just trying to stay alive, Megan couldn't fault her for that- even if kidnapping at sword point was just the tiniest bit extreme. Still, Megan was gonna have to bust quick if she wanted to stay in one piece, which she really, really, really did.

She was considering grabbing Nicky when she heard Sally's voice. A...mall? Megan actually looked around for the first time, realizing that they were, in fact, in front of some sort of mall.

Huh.

"You mean 28 Days Later?" Megan asked automatically. "It's sort of a common thing in zombie movies, everyone's either holed up in one place or constantly moving, neither of which is totally plausible. Like, I can get wanting to stay somewhere you know is safe, but it just increases your chances of getting your barriers beat down. Really, the smartest thing is to stay in a place for a short period of time, and send scouts out to find the new place. You know, base-jumping. But I guess Cillian Murphy was too busy being just awakened from a coma or whatever to really think about zombie strategies."

Megan blinked at Sally, stun gun entirely forgotten. "Uh. Sorry. I got distracted. Mall! Mall sounds nice." She smiled sheepishly. "Also, I hate to be a nag and ask this, but I'd be really totally cool if you decided not to stab me. Like, just saying. That's, you know, my vote." Megan chuckled a bit to herself, before remembering that it really wasn't all that funny considering she was the one at sword point.

"But yeah I'm all for the Mall and not getting stabbed and zombie movies and all of those good things."
Bring Out Your Dead

Getting a Second Chance

Live free. Die young.

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
I used to be a player-hunter just like you, 'til I took a shotgun to the knee.
[ *  *  * ]
((Kari Nichols continued from An Unexpected Party))

There were no weapons in the mall.

She'd checked, double-checked, and then checked again with the sort of languid determination that only mild desperation could produce. There was nothing she could practically use, not in the section she'd searched. She knew that because she'd examined the potential of any number of increasingly-unlikely objects. Hard and heavy as it was, a long-empty cash register wasn't something she could go around bludgeoning people with; sharp and dangerous as they might seem, shards of glass from broken windows would prove brittle and traitorous, lacerating her hands more deeply than any foe. In the end, she abandoned her quest, at least for the time being. There were other things to be had in the mall, no doubt, if she cared to search for them. What useful tools or supplies she'd already passed over she couldn't know. She was tired, though, and there was a decrepit sitting area not far from her, near one of the entrances to the mall. She'd rest a bit there, she decided, regroup and recuperate. She wasn't done searching for weapons or supplies yet, but there was time for a short break.

She sank down in a soft, moldy chair, pulling out her Rubik's cube and laying Danya's invitation across her lap. She began flicking idly away at the faces of the cube, looking around almost unconsciously for some sort of clock to time herself with. A thought struck her as she did so; they weren't all that different, Survival of the Fittest and speedcubing. Superficially, of course, they were both competitions, but it went deeper than that. What it really came down to was that she wasn't playing at either one for money, fame, or power. She couldn't expect anything more, because she wouldn't receive any more. Perhaps that judgement was somewhat premature for her current situation - a twisted sort of infamy would be hers, no doubt, and money if she let herself be exploited - but the point was that she had her eyes on no superficial bounty. She was playing for herself, plain and simple.
Second Chances v1:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"No, I meant that 80's zombie movie where they hauled up in the mall and the zombies get in and one of them is walking up the down escalato- oh who cares!"

Sally poked Megan in the back with her finger as an indication to go first into the mall and started walking. She followed with the sword in hand staying a good distance, but one that would still do damage with the blade.

She blinked trying to adjust to the new light of the "inside."

"Stabbing you is totally, like, counter-productive. If I wanted to stab you I would have done it in front of the bitch with the ugly shoes."

This was true. Megan's value was much more alive. She had several uses as a living person. Sally could A) Hold her hostage to escape a sympathetic or morally conflicted student B) Gain the trust of another person once they see that she had a traveling companion C) Use Megan as cover against attacks.

"So I wasn't planning on it. Not that I know the same of you and the stun gun. I'm not an total idiot, you know. I only pretend to be one."

Taking a few steps into the mall it became apparent that minus some overturned wastebaskets and broken windows here and there, the mall was still in tact and mostly un-touched.

"They left all the clothes!" Sally squealed. "It's the ultimate shopping experience where you can take whatever you want and no one's around to care," she gushed, starry-eyed.

Sally > Katana

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
Don't tell me to smile
[ *  *  *  * ]
Megan scrunched her nose at Sally's reference. 80's zombie movie with an escalator? Huh, Megan would have to watch that some time.

Oh. Wait.

Somehow Megan doubted that they kept old 80's zombie movies here, which meant that Megan would just have to be content with not understanding that reference for the rest of her life. Wow, that was a sad fucking thought. Megan was never, ever, ever going to see that movie. She was never gonna see another movie again, she would never sit in a too-cold movie theater with Anthony munching on popcorn and generally enjoying herself and making sarcastic comments about the acting and writing, because she was here, and this was where she was going to die.

Megan took a long, shaky breath, and reminded herself that she was the plucky comic relief character in the Sally-And-Megan-Go-Adventuring-Story. Comic relief characters do not freak out and hyperventilate because of the inevitability of their death. They make jokes about it, goddamnit.

Suddenly, Megan was assaulted with a barrage of lights. "Jesus, ow!" She rubbed a hand furiously over her eyes, trying to wipe away the tears and spots that were currently clouding them. Meanwhile, Sally was back to talking about how not-stabbing Megan was a good idea. Megan, for her part, firmly agreed.

But, oh, fuck, Sally knew that Nicky was a stun gun?

Megan frowned at her weapon, nodding a bit to herself. "Yeah, I have to admit, I thought electric razor was a bit of a stretch. Besides, I see these all the time on TV." She waved the little black thing around, grinning a bit. "Don't taze me bro! Don't taze me bro!" She said, giggling. "I'm sorry, that was really 2007 of me."

She walked a bit further into the mall, still following Sally. "But, you know, me not tazing you, you not stabbing me, overall I think this is a very good companionship. Could be the start of a beautiful friendship. Or, something." She shrugged, looking around the mall a bit. Sure enough, the clothes had remained untouched, though Megan doubted that they left anything useful enough to be a weapon. If these guys were organized enough to kidnap an entire bus of children, they could probably make sure that there wasn't anything really useful lying around this mall. Although a second pair of clothes could be nice, if your first part got damaged, or if it got cold at night, of if you got really bloody.

Whoops, no, bad thoughts, not going there. Happy times, happy thoughts, la la la, fun fun fun, all that magical unicorn bullshit.

"Wanna take a look around? We could probably grab some spare clothes. Or, you know, have one of those shopping montages like a bad John Hughes film."
Bring Out Your Dead

Getting a Second Chance

Live free. Die young.

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
After a time, Kari put away her cube, hiding behind the furniture as voices arose ahead of her.

A problem arose in the form of footsteps sounding behind her. She heard footsteps behind her, and her brain went into panic mode. She grabbed her bag, dashing through a doorway and rolling behind a window display.

((Nick Reid continued from They Could Have at Least Left Me Something))

Nick hurried down an empty hallway, half-jogging and half-walking, casting glances to either side as he passed each storefront by. It was a frustrating thing, to be nearly caught up only to lose Sally in the sprawling emptiness of the mall. She could, quite literally, be anywhere in the building, or even outside of it by now. There was a silver lining to it all, though; it would be hard to miss anyone if he came near. Footsteps, talking, any sort of scuffle or violence, all would echo resoundingly off the empty walls and hard floor. That went both ways, of course. His own footsteps would announce his arrival, his own heavy breathing would echo off into empty space, even the beating of his heart seemed like it might betray him in the silent, cavernous halls.

And what then? He didn't honestly know. All he knew was that events were starting to take a worrying turn, spiraling quickly out of control. It was only hours into the thing, and people were already going crazy. Or one person in particular was, at least, but that could hardly be an isolated incident. Had someone already died on the island? The thought hit him like a fist, though he knew it was coming. Was there a corpse lying in the sun, trickling thick blood onto grass even now? Or perhaps a familiar face that wasn't a face any more, crumpled and forgotten in some shadowy place. It was all disturbing in the extreme, and all the more reason for him to stop whatever was going on with Sally and that sword. And yet, even as he strode past another display window, his footsteps faltered. What if he had simply misread the situation? Well then, he decided, he'd figure out in what sort of friendly, happy, non-threatening way Sally had stormed past him while brandishing a katana at a classmate, and then they'd all share a nice, awkward laugh.

And then, while he was dreaming, a helicopter would crash through the ceiling and take them all back home.

Back in the present, there were voices ahead of him. He broke into a jog, and then the girls came into view.
Second Chances v1:

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
"I've got a taser at home. And a tube of pepper spray. Daddy gave them to me so I'd be safe when I walked around. You can't be too careful you know."

Sally meandered over to an abandoned H&M and began looking at the racks that had been shoved outside. She leaned down and picked up a rack of overturned dresses and began thumbing through them.

"You're entirely 2007. That's why we're getting you new clothes.

Sally tossed a pair of black leggings, a long, slightly slouchy sweet light pink sweater with three quarter length sleeves and a thick leather belt at Megan.

"There. I did it, I'm a genius."

Suddenly the sound of footsteps started echoing through the mall. They seemed to be getting closer. Sally took a few steps forward and peaked behind from behind the rack.

"Ugh. Nick," she seethed.

He thought he was so great, hu? He was just everyone's champion. It made her blood boil. She hated that he took everything she'd worked for. It was his voice back at the other building, wasn't it? She remembered now. This kid was looking for her. He followed her. This was not going to stand.

Sally swiped Megan's taser out of her hand and approached Nick with the taser behind her back.

"Why are you following me, cock sock?"
Sally > Katana

Casey the Undead
Member Avatar
Don't tell me to smile
[ *  *  *  * ]
Megan fumbled a bit, trying to catch the clothes Sally tossed at her. Which were, okay, cute- but hey! Megan's clothing style wasn't terrible. It was just sort of boring. She didn't really care much what she wore, so long as it fit and made her look somewhat acceptable to be out in public. She looked down at her new clothes and shrugged. They might come in handy, in case Megan lost her pants or something- though that was seriously unlikely.

She blinked as she heard footsteps, turning towards the noise. Nick Reid popped into vision. This didn't seem to be a good thing, judging by Sally's reaction.

Before Megan could really react, Sally had snatched the taser away. Megan almost protested before realizing that if Sally wanted to fight this guy, that was Sally's call, and Megan would be perfectly content standing back in the corner and not saying anything. Which was exactly what she did.

Megan backed up a bit, shielding herself with distance and vaguely wondering if there was more than one way out of this mall.
Bring Out Your Dead

Getting a Second Chance

Live free. Die young.

decoy73
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
((Jessica Vogel continued from They Could at Least Have Left Me Something ...))

Jessica finally was able to follow the pair doing whatever the fuck it was. She would have been there sooner, but she had taken a misstep along the way and one of the blades in her boots had come out (on soft ground, fortunately, so she just had to take a minute to push the blade back in).

She finally reached the mall, where she had seen that guy from before (at least she thought it was) enter. She ran in to keep up, keeping her weight off her toes as best as she could with her boots on.

As she went in, she looked around. It looked relatively normal, as well as a little weird - a mall like this within walking distance of a crap hospital? Jess just shook her head as she looked for somebody.
Second Chances 2
Male Student #18: Zubin Wadia Status: ACTIVE; Weapon: Franchi SPAS-12
Female Student #32: Sarah Miller Status: ACTIVE; Weapon: The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft Hardback Edition

Previous Characters

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Nick halted, scuffing a shoe over the floor as he stopped, sending one triangular glass shard of many skittering across the floor in front of a ruined storefront.

He sighed inwardly at Sally's not-unexpected hostility, while her rather colorful choice of greeting sent his mind mind jumping briefly to the "weapon" sitting in his bag. He wondering for one wild second if somehow she had seen inside it, but resisted the momentary urge to check the zipper, focusing instead on stringing the frustratingly uncooperative words spinning about his mind into a coherent sentence or three. Whatever he said would make or break the situation, and he wasn't going to ruin it by rising to Sally's bait. As tempting as it might be to blow off some steam after being drugged, kidnapped, and fitted with an explosive collar, escalating the situation was precisely the opposite of why he'd given chase. He considered his reply carefully, pausing for as long as he dared, trying and failing to strain out the annoyance creeping into his every word.

"Well, good friend," he paused, half for emphasis, half to collect the words still milling aimlessly about his brain, "I couldn't help noticing your peculiar manner of exit, and I just thought I'd make sure there was nothing, uh, nefarious, probably not the best word to use, but I mean, look, there's some crazy stuff going on and it's probably gonna get crazier. But we're all cool here, right? That's all I really want to know."

Not that he really cared what answer Sally gave. It wasn't like she'd just break down and admit to some nefarious (had he really used that word?) scheme.

"So, anyone getting trapped in some nefarious plan today?"

"Curses! Just when I was nefarious-ing it up! I have to let her go now, don't I?"

Amusing as the thought was, it did nothing to dispel Nick's growing sense of unease. He had after all just thrown what could be seen as an accusation at someone who might possibly be up to something and who most certainly was holding a very sharp sword in one hand. All told, the very best case scenario at that point amounted to a rather monumental pile of awkward. Still, he'd asked a question, and he wanted to know the answer. He looked past Sally, fixing Megan with a stare he hoped would communicate his true intentions. One small gesture was all he needed. Just one little nod and they could all be on their merry ways. Of course, if it wasn't a nod...
Second Chances v1:

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Sally sighed and let her katana fall so that she held it lightly as it pointed at the floor.

"Of course I know that, Nick. What's more crazy than getting kidnapped and put on this island where we're told to kill each other? I was just afraid, you know?"

She took a step forward.

"We're all afraid. It's an atmosphere where people make a lot of rash decisions."

Another step.

"But you can see Megan's fine. We were talking before you walked up. No yelling when you walked up, right?"

Take another.

"It's easy to to get paranoid in a situation where suddenly your best friend could be the one to turn on you. But it's okay Nick, you can-"

She whisked the taser out from behind her back, stuck it at Nick's side and activated, resulting in a satisfying buzz.

"trust me."
Sally > Katana

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Nick kept his gaze on Megan's face as long as he dared, but soon enough, Sally was advancing towards him, step by gradual step. He shifted his focus as she entered melee range to the sword held loosely in one hand, scanning up and down her arms for the bunching muscles that would give a fraction of a second's extra warning against any possible strike. Her words were calming, rational, the sword practically dangling free, but each step she took aroused another quiet suspicion, rose the possibility of a strike that would fly a moment shorter through its arc.

She was uncomfortably close now, but whether it was naivete, bravado, or Sally's own disarming words that kept Nick standing his ground he couldn't tell. His heartbeat rose, fingers curling into half-formed fists, eyes fixed intently on the razor-sharp blade trailing off to her side. He had just opened his mouth to say something when something that wasn't a sword came darting out towards him.

"Wha-Raagghhh!"

His vague, half-formed question was swallowed up in a pained exhalation that forced its way from his lungs as pain exploded across his right side. He rushed to clamp a hand instinctively over the source, but his arm proved completely unresponsive, as did his legs when he tried instead to take a step backwards. His whole body pulsated with terrible, dull buzzing that felt as if he'd licked a light socket. He stood trembling in place for one long, dragging second before a particularly violent convulsion shot down his leg, buckling his knee and sending him falling backwards onto shattered glass and grimy tile. Here and there a fragment jutted through his shirt and jacket, drawing blood in a dozen places while his head slammed the floor hard enough cause his vision to flash dim. He groaned, gasping to fill his lungs, staring up at Sally with half-focused eyes.
Second Chances v1:

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
((I'm dead tired so forgive the levels of suck in this post. It's gonna go this post > Rattle >Me > Rattle > DEATH so we'll be back to normal in a bit. Thanks for your patience >_< ))

Sally eyed Nick as he gasped and writhed on the floor. She walked up to him and kicked away his bag. She walked back to him and gave him a swift kick in the stomach before focusing her gaze on him again.

"I'm sorry, what was the question?" she asked sweetly. "Oh right. If we're all cool here. Well let me take the time to answer that now that I have a captive audience. No, we're not cool. We never have been. You act like you're so high an mighty. Like you can't associate with the rest of us because you're too good. Well you're not and I would know because I'm the best. I should have won. You took my win from me. And even now, you just had to follow me because you were so convinced that I was doing something bad. Awww, did you want to be a hero? I'm sorry. I'm sorry for your whole existence. But now I'm going to fix that and I'm going to be what I always should have been: the winner. And I suppose that makes you-"

Sally raised her katana.

"- the loser."
Edited by Ruggahissy, Jul 7 2012, 12:04 AM.
Sally > Katana

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Nick stared silently upward as Sally hurled her denunciation at him, trying to look past her insinuations with glazed eyes, put up a shell of indifference and let her words wash harmlessly over. But for whatever reason, he couldn't. They embedded themselves in his mind, stinging him as they went. Was it truth that gave them such bite? No, that was asinine. She was just jealous. Petty. What mistreatment was he guilty of? What victory had he truly stolen? He'd filled a target with a slightly tighter group of arrows than she had one day, and now she hated him for it. She should be grateful that he'd chosen salutory neglect over the boiling malice she'd subjected herself to.

And the notion that he'd followed simply out of blind mistrust... Maybe his impression had been a false one at the rundown hospital. Most likely not, but it was a possibility. He could admit that. But it had certainly borne fruit now, hadn't it? Whatever Sally had intended to do with what may or may not have been her captive, she was seconds away from murdering him over the results of an archery qualifier. His hunch had been correct that there was nothing good to come of it all. It couldn't be truth that stung him so, because there was no truth in any of it. It was his own shame, guilt, embarrassment that stung so powerfully. Shame of losing his life over such pettiness. Guilt over having a hand, unconsciously or not, in instilling such malice. Embarrassment over luring himself to his own death. It wasn't searing truth or pained revelation that lent such weight to her little monologue, but a simple desire to twist the knife in any way she could.

And yet, no matter how false her words rang, her steel would speak for itself.

He looked around himself for something, anything that he could possibly use to defend himself with. Nothing. Nothing to his right, nothing to his left, nothing behind him as far back as he dared look while the threat of death hung so low before him. Even his issued daypack with its mockery of a weapon had been kicked away from him, leaving only dirt and grime and shattered glass at his disposal. He wouldn't survive a single swing of Sally's sword with anything less than divine intervention. One solid hit and he'd be counting his remaining life in seconds. Depending on how much she'd dulled the edge dragging it along the ground, he might not even feel it.

The last seconds of my life...

Adrenaline spiked through his chest. Was he just going to give up, then? Let her win just because she'd said so? Offer his life up freely for want of a weapon while he lay back in his funereal bed of knives? His fluttering heartbeat turned to thunder in his ears. He'd never give in to such an ignominious fate. Face flushed with the sudden vehemence of his conviction, he looked desperately around for the choicest shard of shattered glass in reach. There. Near his right hand. Large, roughly triangular, wicked sharp. He gathered the cuff of his sleeve into his palm, teetering on the brink of the last decision he might ever make, so attuned to the sword hovering over him that he could practically feel its sharpness.

Do or die.

His body jolted into action. He scooped the fragment into his hand and turned, lashing his arm out like a snake, burying his glass fang deep into Sally's exposed foot.
Second Chances v1:

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
((sorry, one more to go, guys ))

A piercing scream shot through the mall, high pitched and savage like from some sort of wild bird. It wouldn't have been too much of a surprise if glass from the store front had shattered, but it didn't.

Sally dropped the sword and it fell, clattering to the floor. She leaned shakily against a nearby rack and looked down at her foot. Her high heels were red but now it looked like she was wearing closed shoes since it was entirely crimson with a decorative piece of glass jetting out from the design.

Sally > Katana

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Mall · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.