Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Add Reply
  • Pages:
Second Chances Discussion Thread
Topic Started: Apr 8 2012, 04:01 PM (4,283 Views)
Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I figure second chances should get one too and I couldn't think of anywhere else to comment on it aside from the chat, but I lol at the island setting locations theme decided on. I'm not sure if only the staff can see it or not, so that's the non spoiler teaser I'm giving if thats the case. Hopefully it'll help participants get hyped.
Second Chances Version 2 Characters:
B14: Kyran Dean | Alive - bandaged cheek with diagonal scar, bloody nose | Whatever (Catchphrase) in: Hero? But I'm a Kid Like Everyone Else | AK-47
G29: Wendy Fischer | Alive | Pantsless in: Carp Diem | Frozen 25lb Carp with no head (Mr. Dolph)

Sotf-TV Season 65 Flagship:
Gold Team Member #4 (SDA Male): Shawn Morrison | One with the Universe | Being Real in: Oracular Spectacular | Brian Peter George St. John Le Baptiste De La Salle Eno, The Deceased Boa Constrictor.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Huha. Didn't know Danya was supposed to be fat. I think pretty much every thread so far made reference of it.
Second Chances Version 2 Characters:
B14: Kyran Dean | Alive - bandaged cheek with diagonal scar, bloody nose | Whatever (Catchphrase) in: Hero? But I'm a Kid Like Everyone Else | AK-47
G29: Wendy Fischer | Alive | Pantsless in: Carp Diem | Frozen 25lb Carp with no head (Mr. Dolph)

Sotf-TV Season 65 Flagship:
Gold Team Member #4 (SDA Male): Shawn Morrison | One with the Universe | Being Real in: Oracular Spectacular | Brian Peter George St. John Le Baptiste De La Salle Eno, The Deceased Boa Constrictor.

Namira
Member Avatar
Paint me like one of your Sith girls
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My perspective and I believe most descriptions have Danya as being, whilst not voluminous, as on the pudgy side.
~*~

Currently Showing

Previously on Namiravision

Laurels
Member Avatar
*Katya wheeze*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So here's my reasoning for why Danya being a fatty fat fat is such a big deal:

Okay, I know the same thing happened when Danya was described in the V4 sneak previews. My guess is that everyone wasn't sure how to picture the man behind the camera. Since most everyone on this site came to it due to a love/devotion to Takami's Battle Royale, they had to picture the characters based on how they would most likely picture someone behind the organization.

Now, depending on which medium you were exposed to Battle Royale, you have a man (it's always a man) who is many things. The man is threatening. He's not afraid to kill. He's making dark jokes about a grim situation. The mediums described this man (Sakamochi/Kamon/Kitano) in ways that clearly made him somewhat threatening. For Sakamochi, he was short, but had a powerful voice. Both he and Kamon clearly indulged in rape, sarcasm, and casual murder. Kitano is different in that he is familiar to the students. Plus, the moments he played off with the video girl added some weird traits to the man.

Now, with these factors contributing to the mental picture of the bastard who would organize a game to kill lots and lots of innocent teenagers, one would expect him to fit into the image of Sakamochi, Kamon, or Kitano. Danya is not that. He has a lot of the traits, but the overall appearance is much different. He's fat.

See, extra weight has meant a lot in time. For the most part, fatness equated to wealth and power. A man with a large belly eats every night, while a skinny man most likely has to skip meals. By making Danya fat, it simply adds a bit to the image of a powerful son of a bitch who whimsically has teenagers killed.

The reason everyone compliments on it is because it's a very noticeable trait when you notice someone. If someone is overweight, you will notice it, and it can also affect certain situations. For the most part, people can associate fatness with humor, with comics like John Belushi, Chris Farley, and more lending to the funny fat guy position. These kinds of men usually played slobs who are lethargic and usually stupid. We do not expect this kind of man to be a psychopath.

So to summarize, I get why it's a big deal for people to note Danya's weight. It's common to judge a person by their appearance, it is quite different than what we expect, and it clashes with common ideologies on appearance. Now, the same could be said if Danya was actually a husky voiced woman, we wouldn't expect it, but we could possibly rationalize it.

That's at least my attempt to explain why everyone brings it up. Now, as a way to make this an actual discussion thread about Second Chances, I would like to ask about early characterization. Since these are all characters we are semi-familiar with, how do you write them in the early stages? None of them have killed or played yet (even though we know they will), so how do you prepare their storylines before the rolls? What factors of their character do you try to explore at this point? How has the premise affected your characterization?

Mini Art

Former characters

Namira
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
With Danya and being overweight, it does kinda help that he was originally more or less an expy of Kamon - you can see a lot of Kamon's traits in Danya in general, and the weight was one of them. I like to think he's developed into his own man now, as it were.
~*~

Currently Showing

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
I can trick them into thinking anything
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
On Danya's weight:

Actually, Danya's horribly inconsistent, weight-wise.

V1 Epilogue

The man was big, not fat, but stocky. Yes, stocky would describe the man perfectly, the so called appearance of largeness that he conveyed was betrayed in which the speed that he walked, over all showing that the man was too fit to have wasted away his body due to a lack of exercise.

V1 Epilogue

Danya picked a place that isn’t easily found – he’s a smart son of a bitch, and what’s scary is that he’s still out there. The odds are, he’ll do it again. I’ve told them as much. They didn’t say it outright, but I think they’re inclined to agree. Nobody knows where he went, or even where he’s from, and all that I know is that he looks like a fat Christopher Walken who isn’t half as funny or charismatic as the man himself.

V2 Epilogue

Finally the door opened again, and both grunts offered a salute to the stocky middle-aged man that walked past them carrying a bulging folder. Bryan had never laid eyes upon him before, the short salt-and-pepper hair, the world-weary and yet deceptively sharp brown eyes, the brown goatee...everything except the scar on his cheek was all so easily familiar that he was caught off-guard.

V3 Epilogue

Victor Danya was shorter than Riz had expected him to be, though Riz's guess about Danya being slightly on the pudgy side had been spot on. There were traces of a dark spots amidst a head of graying hair. The next things John noticed were two very visible scars. One rested upon Danya's cheek, the second was on the side of his neck right above the shirt collar.

I averaged him to a bit fat.

Basically, as I see it, the reason everyone comments on it is pretty simple. Being fat in considered undesirable these days. The students, being stuck in a bad situation, console themselves by going, "Oh well, at least Danya is fat." It's the same reason we see like half the cast threaten to kill Danya every game, or see them throw insults at his sexuality.

As to storylines and stuff, well, I see SC as a great chance to try something new with characters, or to try new characters people liked. I hope handlers don't just go with the same stuff as before. I guess I don't really see a reason to treat it any differently than any other game, but I'm also not reusing one of my own characters, so someone else may have a better perspective.
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.

Namira
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Stocky and pudgy aren't too far apart in consistency, just in my opinion.
~*~

Currently Showing

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow, yeah, that was a reading failure on my part. Somehow, I misread the V2 one as something totally different. I think I was more caught up in V1's "big, not fat".
Current characters:

Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."

Past characters:

If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
I'll turn Super Saiyan and save Vale... but first, let me take a selfie.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
LOL DANYA U FATTY FATTY FAT FAT FAT LOL U EAT 6 CHEEZBURGAHS A DAY.

I can make that joke. I just can.

Annnnnnnnyways. On the topic of characterization. Carol's been pretty easy to get back into character. For some reason, Sidney isn't. My guess is the setting; SC is closer to v4/main site as a whole than TV, so I have to think about how the change in setting and circumstances in being forced to kill classmates will change how Sidney looks at things. After all, being raised in a society where children are regularly murdered for entertainment and then being selected for said entertainment is completely different than growing up in a world pretty much like ours and one day being randomly abducted by some terrorists who make you kill each other. So I have to keep in mind that SC!Sidney is going to have a different outlook on the game than TV!Sidney, even if slightly. Carol, on the other hand, originated in a game very similar to SC's, so it's easy to figure out what's different and what's the same. That, and Sidney isn't running around the island dressed as a Playboy Bunny this time, so it does feel weird, to be honest. As a result, I honestly keep getting worried that I'm derailing her character a bit. This is what happens when you get rusty, folks.

I think what I've been doing to keep in character is looking at old threads featuring them. Like, when I'm writing in Magical Reaper Girl Warrior Sidney-Chan, I go back to the similarly titled Magical Bunny Girl Warrior Sidney-Chan to get a reminder of how Sidney acted first thing, think about how that translates to SC, and then write about it. Same goes for looking back at Under The Sea Is Where Nobody Wants To Be (Carol's first in-game thread in v4), and Nobody Checks In Unless Their Name Is Smith (where she is now). In short? I just reread my characters a bit.
Kami's Sidestories
Charlotte "Charlie" Pemberton- Female Student #??- "Um, hey... I know a lot about meat. How much do you want to cook yours?"

They will come back. They always do. We have a place for them.
Felicia LaChapelle (SC)- Female Student #022- Attempting first-aid to the soundtrack of an Eminem song.
Miranda Millers (SC)- Female Student #024- Pranking people not quite to death with a tire iron

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed in a Mini

Quote:

Bake We'll just ask Elena to add a new area into the compound. "Siobhan's Cleavage" - The spaciously large cleavage of an overweight, promiscuous cheerleader who wants to go to Beauty School. THREADS ALLOWED: 8

12:40 Slamexo She [Sidney] sells trollin' and trollin' accessories

02:41 Medic Why does the world hate my racist jackass--wait that speaks for itself.

Click here for awesomeness. Your brain will be BLOWN. : D

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
I wish I was a heartbeat that never comes to rest
[ *  *  * ]
KamiKaze
May 12 2012, 04:44 AM
LOL DANYA U FATTY FATTY FAT FAT FAT LOL U EAT 6 CHEEZBURGAHS A DAY.
Came here to say I read Kami's first sentence and giggled. Never change.
Sally > Katana

outfoxd
Contender
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I didn't really have any grand justification for Anthony wanting to play, save that he took a clinical approach to what needed to happen and figured, fuck it, killing people needs to happen.
TV2: Jackson King
Current Thread: Killer Munchies

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Honestly, I like seeing (at least somewhat) new takes on characters in SC. It kinda feels like one of the game's big reasons for being, at least to me. I mean, otherwise it's just replaying a version with a different support cast, and/or gunning for a win 'cause you didn't win the first time (or, of course, doing stuff with a character who got killed too soon, but I think that counts as doing stuff differently).
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:

Past characters:

Slam
Member Avatar
otp (art by Kotorikun)
[ *  *  *  * ]
Maybe Danya's just a yo-yo dieter?

As for characterization, changing stuff up is not my forté: I'm pretty rigid when I think how my characters act, so alas I worry that Janet will appear as a rehash. I guess I'll rely on the different events she'll inevitably encounter and the fact that Chadd isn't present for miles around, which is actually significant considering how much of Janet's storyline ended up being crying over him instead of doing something else.
Program VAM3RICA
Posted Image Eleanor 'Nellie' Fitzpatrick' - DECEASED - 1 - 2 - 3

Second Second Chances
Posted Image B09: Jay Harland - DECEASED - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Pippin
Member Avatar
W A H
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I rechose Glen for SC, because, despite having a lot of fun writing him in TV, I felt like I made a lot of mistakes with his character. So far I've tried to make him much more intelligent (although I'm probably gonna make him screw up somewhere) and not play right off the bat.

As for Aileen, I was always very aprehensive about using someone elses character. I didn't want to take someone and make them completely different to their actual character, or overexaggerate one feature of their character. On the other hand, I didn't want to take a character and completely follow their original storyline personality thing. Basically I want Aileen to be remembered as "Pippin's interpretation of her" rather than "Aileen v.2". Or something.
Currently Playing

Remembering those lost

Awesome art by awesome people

???

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
I'll turn Super Saiyan and save Vale... but first, let me take a selfie.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wait a second, on the fat Danya thing... a more crushing matter emerges.

Quote:

and all that I know is that he looks like a fat Christopher Walken who isn’t half as funny or charismatic as the man himself.

Danya looks like Christopher Walken?! Why didn't I realize this? And now, all my mental images of Danya become hilarious. O_O
Kami's Sidestories
Charlotte "Charlie" Pemberton- Female Student #??- "Um, hey... I know a lot about meat. How much do you want to cook yours?"

They will come back. They always do. We have a place for them.
Felicia LaChapelle (SC)- Female Student #022- Attempting first-aid to the soundtrack of an Eminem song.
Miranda Millers (SC)- Female Student #024- Pranking people not quite to death with a tire iron

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed in a Mini

Quote:

Bake We'll just ask Elena to add a new area into the compound. "Siobhan's Cleavage" - The spaciously large cleavage of an overweight, promiscuous cheerleader who wants to go to Beauty School. THREADS ALLOWED: 8

12:40 Slamexo She [Sidney] sells trollin' and trollin' accessories

02:41 Medic Why does the world hate my racist jackass--wait that speaks for itself.

Click here for awesomeness. Your brain will be BLOWN. : D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · SC2 Planning/Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.